Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Alamar

Real Name Alamar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 26, 2005, 15:11
Total Comments 1753 (Pro)
User ID 22996

User comment history
< Newer [ 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 ] Older >

News Comments > Dungeon Siege III Patched
6. Re: Dungeon Siege III Patched Jul 9, 2011, 22:39 Alamar

ColoradoHoudini wrote on Jul 9, 2011, 18:38:
Why couldn't they have just made a bigger world, add a few more playable characters, and have proper multiplayer support? I know that's all I needed to buy this game.. instead they had fucking abysmal controls (btw, is it just me or does everyone have to hit E when they walk over an item (not money) that they want to pick up? I want to pick up EVERYTHING.. all the time.. did i overlook that config setup?

Also.. is it just me or does the game not tell you if an item is useable by your current character? I picked the .. err.. non sword dude? and i would grab staves and maces and all i could with them was transmute them.. never equip.. ever. But i was never told i couldn't equip the items.. they just werent options in my Equip screen.

Someone tell me i fucked all that up..and not the devs

A bigger game, and proper MP I agree with.. .I didn't try coop, but I believe your partner just controls your current 'second'... Handy to jump in/out, but lots of drawbacks as well... especially for those of us used to getting the phatty lewts ; )

All items have a user icon, so if it's showing someone's face, you can use it (on that character)...

Also... About 80% of the random stuff you grab is for your primary character... So playing through on other chars should give you a bunch of crap for that one as well... 80 may be high, but it was definitely noticeable for me.

-Alamar

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Modern Warfare 3 & Color Blindness
7. Re: Modern Warfare 3 & Color Blindness Jul 8, 2011, 13:21 Alamar

nin wrote on Jul 8, 2011, 11:48:
I wish every game included subtitles for when characters speak. Every once in awhile I still come across one that doesn't support it, and it's handy when everything is exploding and you missed that one critical piece of dialogue.

Expand that to include subtitles I can go back to afterwords and read and I'm all for it : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Dishonored Revealed
13. Re: Dishonored Revealed Jul 7, 2011, 16:07 Alamar

reisub wrote on Jul 7, 2011, 15:52:
SectorEffector wrote on Jul 7, 2011, 15:19:
Best first person melee and sword / staff / blade combat system. TO DATE.
How's it compare to Mount&Blade? That seems pretty good.

Seriously... to both...

I barely played either, but don't remember it being good in Messiah (may try it again though... not surprisingly, I'm a M&M fan, though not HOMM so much). And I thought M&B's combat was horribly wonky...

-Alamar

News Comments > Torchlight Sells a Million
22. Re: Torchlight Sell a Million Jul 7, 2011, 14:03 Alamar

Dev wrote on Jul 7, 2011, 12:55:
nin wrote on Jul 7, 2011, 12:24:
Guess that should be a hint that Steam isn't the magical sales powerhouse that people seem to think it is (for no fucking reason at all). "Oh, game X is in the top 10 on Steam charts! It must be selling very well!"

You mean considering it was on sale for $3 the other day on Steam, and then they announce today it hit a million?

A million is still pretty good for an indie title.

That it is... But when I saw the headline, the first thing, that (sadly) popped into my head was... Didn't Minecraft just announce 10 mil signups?

-Alamar

News Comments > Dishonored Revealed
1. Re: Dishonored Revealed Jul 7, 2011, 13:16 Alamar

It's a game about morality and player choice where the world you create is based on your actions, not navigating conversation trees.

In other words, it's based on who you end up killing, instead of what you say to them before you kill them : )

-Alamar

News Comments > 2011 Games Industry to Top $74B
26. Re: 2011 Games Industry to Top $74B Jul 6, 2011, 15:26 Alamar

Kawlisse wrote on Jul 6, 2011, 13:15:
Beamer wrote on Jul 6, 2011, 12:46:
This isn't an attempt to be greedy, it's simple economics. Pre-release demos would add months to development time.

Now with big budget games, don't tell me they cant create a shareware version its just because they don't want to, and this is the problem I have with them. Anyways were a little off subjet

Neat how they're saying the same thing...

-Alamar

News Comments > 2011 Games Industry to Top $74B
25. Re: 2011 Games Industry to Top $74B Jul 6, 2011, 15:24 Alamar

kanniballl wrote on Jul 6, 2011, 13:08:
Only slightly off-topic

I'd love to see more 2D games: side scrollers and such, with some modern graphics/resolution.

I know there's the occasional one, but I have to think that there's still a casual gamer demand for these things.

Heck I was thinking about picking up the Nintendo DS "Green Lantern" game because the commercial made it look like an interesting 2D game.

Nice timing on this... I just (finally) picked up Trine (having never actually looked at it, even with all the hype)... And it's a great example of a 2D game with 'updated visuals'...

I want a Castlevania style game like this myself... And if I had some artists... oooooh that would be some good stuff...

-Alamar

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Leak Lawsuit
26. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Leak Lawsuit Jul 6, 2011, 15:16 Alamar

Verno wrote on Jul 6, 2011, 15:10:
In this scenario you're not going to find any support around here Beamer, the leak did more good than harm which is further backed up by SE effectively embracing it as a lucky win. Word on the leak is overwhelmingly positive. The leak isn't a complete build of the game or anything either, far from it. I bet their preorder rate shot through the roof.

That being said, it doesn't mean the people responsible shouldn't be punished though, what they did was criminal and if the game had been bad it surely would have been financially damaging.

The forums on this site are not indicative of the gaming population as a whole...

In other words, I'm sure plenty of people will NOT buy the game based on playing the leaked version...

As for the previous comment... Plenty of pirates pay $50 for the 'real deal' when it hits shelves, and this isn't quite the same as your comment, since the 'leak' doesn't include the full game... I assume, based on the whole 'introductory level(s)' comments.

I haven't tried it myself... I liked Deus Ex somewhat, but felt it didn't live up to the hype, so I have no expectations either way for this one... If there's a demo, or even a 'demo', I may try it, but I may not...

-Alamar

Edit: no->not And by 'previous' post, I meant previous to the one I quoted ; )

News Comments > Out of the Blue
22. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 6, 2011, 08:52 Alamar

So upon loading bluewsnews.com today, I am auto forwarded to zwsaonline.com for a bullshit scan...

May want to look into your ads again Blue : )

-Alamar

News Comments > UbiCollectibles Announced
7. Re: UbiCollectibles Announced Jul 5, 2011, 16:05 Alamar

I realize you guys hate Ubi and all that, but seriously, this is a cool thing... I have no interest in these particular items, but I could see wanting something from some game, at some time, some day... or something : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Burning Crusade Free, WoW Free to Play
49. Re: Burning Crusade Free, WoW Free to Play Jun 29, 2011, 16:42 Alamar

StingingVelvet wrote on Jun 29, 2011, 15:43:
Jonny5 wrote on Jun 29, 2011, 14:16:
You obviously are not playing the same WoW I am, No grind at all, plenty of fun quests... Sure if your some ADHD boy rushing to get to end to show off your epics..yea then at end it is grind, But I have played since Cata came out one toon, and I am level 65 today, having a blast doing a lot of fun quests and crafting and other fun stuff in game.

WoW is NO grind till ya hit end game!

I played WoW for 50 levels. It seemed like the only real gameplay motivation was to level or get loot. That doesn't do it for me. On top of that player interaction and impact was limited.

I like MMOs that really benefit from being massively multiplayer. Rather than 25 man raids or whatever I like worlds where every player has an effect. EVE, Ultima Online and perhaps Star Wars Galaxies are more MMOs than WoW is, in my opinion.

WoW can be a grind at any level, and it is NOT a grind for some at ANY level...

Personally, I refused EQ 'back in the day' because it was pure grind... go kill 407213048 mobs to get some xp... no goals, quests, etc... they were few and far between... I like the quest (and story) driven aspect that has always been WoW, and classic is like 500x better in those regards, plus it's cohesive.. Some people missing travelling to the other continent and back 3 times just for one quest, but I found that shit annoying, and I refused to grind mobs to lvl up...

Conversely, I enjoy the combat system, and that's a major factor why I level, and have leveled every class (to 80)... None of them were a grind, because I was enjoying the process of blowing shit up, and experiencing the lore... Sure, the first time is the best... Every expansion has added some kick ass stories and quests (bombing runs were the BOMB, heh, when they first hit... very popular)...

This went a bit off track, but I was initially going to bring up WAR because it's a good example, and while WoW still has 1324982048 players, most are sitting in <insert major city> at max lvl waiting to do shit...

Anyhow, Public Quests were a really neat idea in WAR... and levelling up at launch, assuming you weren't too far ahead of the curve, was great... find random people to help punch out a hard/impossible to solo PQ and that felt fun/dynamic/etc... The problem WAR has/had is that they don't adjust well to varied group sizes, so now that the game is a graveyard in 80% of the world at any given time, PQs (one of their major selling/flouting points is wasted)...

That's also one of the big reasons WoW is now soloable all the way, and yes, too easy, a lot of the time... And it's their own fault, along with all the other new breed of massive where levelling is so fast, two months after launch (like Rift a month ago), no one is around to help, so you need a 'high lvl friend' to come knock out an elite, or dungeon, etc...

As for UO, my experience was, and I mean this literally, 'come here and whack on this target dummy until your skills are maxed'... : )

TLDR? WoW is what you make it : )

-Alamar

This comment was edited on Jun 29, 2011, 16:53.

47. Re: Burning Crusade Free, WoW Free to Play Jun 29, 2011, 16:35 Alamar

nin wrote on Jun 29, 2011, 14:50:
Is the honor gear good enough to compete with endgame raid gear?

There have been limited cases where, when pvp gear was easier than farming pve gear, that players will wear a piece (or two, specifically weapons) of pvp gear in place of pve, until a suitable replacement is found. It's certainly not recommended, but it happens.

If you want to do nothing but pvp, you'll find gear that should be comparable to pve. And it'll have resistance resilience, a stat you need in pvp, and only found on pvp gear.

Give it a shot.

Conversely, and this is an interesting time regarding this question, a lot of casters, in a month to three, will be crazy OP in pvp because the best weapon in the game, by a pretty large margin (~20%?) will be PvE only, a pain to get, at least early..

So ya, while I agree, you can compete, and more importantly, have a lot of fun in pvp without touching much pve, if you want to compete 'high end', your would almost be forced to raid...

This was also true last expansion, but for the already seemingly OP plate melee classes...

This was also true long long long ago with warriors/rogues with thunderfury... saw a LOT of that weapon in BGs by the 'end'... Felt good defeating players with obviously higher grade gear... but that's another long ass topic ; ) In short, I enjoyed fighting 80s as a 79 with 'crappy' gear than fully decked at 80... or was it 70/69... or both... Doesn't work as well now since 84 and 85 can be so vastly different (plus like 20k base health difference, that I may be exaggerating 100%).

-Alamar

33. Re: Burning Crusade Free, WoW Free to Play Jun 29, 2011, 11:07 Alamar

Blue wrote on Jun 29, 2011, 10:54:
JohnBirshire wrote on Jun 29, 2011, 10:46:
Removing the time limit on trials is far from going "Free to Play", this is the definition of a sensationalist headline.

Please justify that criticism.

Free-to-play (F2P) refers to any game that has an option of allowing its players to play without paying. Some of these games have both a free version and a Pay to Play version that offers the full version of the game and all of the updates. Free-to-play games with pay-to-play components utilize the freebie marketing technique to draw in a user base with this advanced type of game demo. The term "free-to-play" is frequently heard in the context of massively multiplayer online games (MMOGs).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free-to-play

I believe the 'sensationalist' was referring to Blizzard's 'press release'...

As for a wikipedia definition, give me 10 minutes, and then I'll quote the new version, as it's a user edited 'dictionary' : )

Also, WoW has 'always' had a trial, which this definition doesn't seem to distinguish the timing of, so WoW is no more F2P than it was...

-Alamar

24. Re: Burning Crusade Free, WoW Free to Play Jun 29, 2011, 08:43 Alamar

Warrax wrote on Jun 29, 2011, 07:35:
Veterator wrote on Jun 29, 2011, 01:15:
They limit you to 20, but the classes didn't even get kinda interesting to play until 30ish. At least when I played.

That was true in the past but now classes start being interesting to play at lvl 10 where you select a spec and receive main abilities as a result (eg. Arms Warriors receives Mortal Strike at lvl 10 instead of 40) which make your class viable very early

I was going to make this comment... It makes a lot of sense that any massive has an 'unlimited limited' trial, and lvl 20 is perfect now... All of classic was changed... 20 levels gets you some good access to all the starting zones quest lines/stories...

And as mentioned, level 10 is now quite interesting, even for those classes/specs that always sucked, like ret (or prot, or perhaps even holy) pally : )

And dual spec unlocks at (I think) level 30, so while unrelated to this trial, is low enough that you have options early on... Now Rift level options (5 specs, only limited by cash), but then, a lot of Rift specs suck until 20-30 anyways : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Steam Top 10
4. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 26, 2011, 13:03 Alamar

Slashman wrote on Jun 26, 2011, 12:26:
While Terraria doesn't seem to be my type of game, I'm always glad to see indie devs get ahead. That said...more people need to pick up Sanctum!! It's a great FPS Tower Defense game!!

The Dragon Knight Saga is also a fun game.

I feel the same way... Don't think I'd like Terraria, but love seeing it up there... And I concur with the rest...

-Alamar

News Comments > WoW Your Friends for Free
34. Re: WoW Your Friends for Free Jun 26, 2011, 08:25 Alamar

Rockn-Roll wrote on Jun 26, 2011, 04:04:
Yes...there is no way that someone is going to reach level...what is it now...80?...in a month. However, one major problem is that in order to really have fun you need to have friends to team up with. This means that the veteran will likely create a new character...and perhaps a couple more friends...and go through the original quests. The problem is that going through the original quests will most likely be very boring to the veterans...and will already have lots of stuff for their new characters and most likely will earn the most stuff. The veterans will have to sacrifice their fun...both in the higher level game areas as well as allowing the n00bs to gain some stuff. Charity only goes so far...at some point the veterans will want to go back to the more exciting activities with their higher level characters.

You, uhm... Haven't played this game (in a while)? People get from 1 to 85 in a week, and yes, they're either experienced or obsessive (likely both), but taking a month to get to 80 is pretty casual, considering the fast speed, the RAF bonus that this promotion would use (which I can safely ignore anyways, because it's an insane boost), help from friends, and rest bonus for those not as obsessive...

But, the base game comes with 1-60, so it's kind of a moot point I guess...

As for the classic content, it was overhauled with the launch of Cata. While a large portion of players have one max level, and don't like levelling, they would find it MUCH different, and MUCH improved... I just went through it with a new goober mage, and the only real drawback (which some new players will love) is that it was way the hell too easy... I loved that it has flow, feels more like a plot driven single player RPG, but the easiness can be a drain.

And as for those calling doom, most of which just sound like addicts that had to dredge up some hate to leave the game, classic costs what, 15 or 20 regularly, and last promotion, was 5... Free to a select group and $5 isn't exactly a huge leap...

All these threads end up the same though, and it's hilarious... OMG, WoW is DYING... They lost a handful of subs, and they're going DOWN... Ya... If I was a billionaire, I'd hate to lose a few million, but it wouldn't really hurt : ) It's a silly example of course, a million smackaroo's would hurt any company, but it's no more ridiculous than the 'points' people bring up against their lost love... : )

-Alamar

News Comments > WoW Patch Notes
5. Re: WoW Patch Notes Jun 25, 2011, 10:14 Alamar

The one feature that will bring back millions...

The order in which characters are listed at the Character Selection screen can now be rearranged and saved.

-Alamar

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Dungeon Siege III, PC Control Fixes Planned
43. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dungeon Siege III, PC Control Fixes Planned Jun 22, 2011, 08:25 Alamar

zerobytes wrote on Jun 21, 2011, 19:03:
Alamar wrote on Jun 21, 2011, 16:05:
So in the end, what is it you guys don't like about the controls on PC?

They want me to unlearn my usual control scheme and get used to what someone else considers the ideal configuration. And it isn't just about the keys that rotate your character. It's the placement of the keys on the keyboard and the use of an upside down T scheme. I simply can't play comfortably with that and it's unacceptable for a developer to expect me to. A flash game, yes, but not a AAA title.

Agreed, and I intended to, but forgot to, mention originally, that I agree wholeheartedly that the lack of control customization in this game, and just about every other Action RPG sucks... Though for me, it's the old style that hurts... I want to use the keyboard to move, and most Action RPGs don't just miss that customization, it's just not a possibility.

Also, and while this isn't exactly a 'complaint', I did continually ask myself why DS3 was a DS at all. It seems more to cash in on the name, than to maintain anything from the lore, other than it being on the same planet, and a few backstory comments.

-Alamar

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Dungeon Siege III, PC Control Fixes Planned
23. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dungeon Siege III, PC Control Fixes Planned Jun 21, 2011, 16:05 Alamar

Seems to me, it's likely they had testers like the posters in this forum... I can't find a complaint about how the controls are bad, just people ranting, cursing, going off the deep end about how bad this company/product/blah blah is, without any details... Perhaps all their testers were just as childish and quit their jobs in a tantrum instead of specifying what sucked...

As for the game itself, I enjoyed it... I don't recall anything amazing, and it seemed short, for an Action RPG (and not much in the way of replayability), but it took me about the time the demo took to get used to the control scheme, which, other than the lack of strafing, is what I've been waiting for in a Action RPG (a la Diablo/Torchlight/DS style) for years... I hate having to constantly click, or hold down, the mouse buttons for movement, as well as other aspects... Perhaps it's because I'm a 'keyboard jockey'...

So in the end, what is it you guys don't like about the controls on PC?

-Alamar

News Comments > Epic Hacked
28. Re: Epic Hacked Jun 11, 2011, 20:59 Alamar

Of all the shit threads on bluesnews.com, this has to be the one most filled with stupid...

What a sad state some of this community has come.

-Alamar

1753 Comments. 88 pages. Viewing page 58.
< Newer [ 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo