Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Alamar

Real Name Alamar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 26, 2005, 15:11
Total Comments 1920 (Pro)
User ID 22996

User comment history
< Newer [ 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 ] Older >

News Comments > Cryptic's Neverwinter Delayed, Now a F2P MMOG
8. Re: Cryptic's Neverwinter Delayed, Now a F2P MMOG Oct 6, 2011, 12:44 Alamar

sauron wrote on Oct 6, 2011, 12:38:
I actually tend to play d100 RPGs, I think Pathfinder is the only d20 game I've seen in the last ten years that actually made me sit up.

I had a friend in HS that had a d100... Took like 5m to stop rolling... : )

-Alamar

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > King's Bounty: Warriors of the North Announced
9. Re: King's Bounty: Warriors of the North Announced Oct 6, 2011, 12:42 Alamar

Kythlyn wrote on Oct 6, 2011, 12:04:
It starting to feel like there will never be a "slow time of year" ever again in this industry. It seems like every month there's another AAA title to sink dozens or hundreds of hours into.

It's a good time to be alive : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Microsoft Planning Cloud Gaming?
17. Re: Microsoft Planning Cloud Gaming? Oct 6, 2011, 12:34 Alamar

Beamer wrote on Oct 6, 2011, 12:18:
necrosis wrote on Oct 6, 2011, 11:51:
Cloud gaming. What a joke. The only thing it lets me do is game at work (on my POS laptop or my POS work computer) which I should not be doing anyhow.

I have a true rig at home for real gaming.

What if it let you play something with Rage quality graphics on your tablet or phone?

Something like OnLive on a mobile device is not likely... Maybe never, but that's always a bad prediction....

Reason being, mobile controls are vastly inadequate for non-mobile games... As an example, you can't play Super Mario Bros as well on mobile, because while the NES controller only had 2 buttons and a D-Pad, you could use just your thumb to 'super run' and jump... Unless your thumb has a hole in the center (I'm not judging you if it does : ), you can't get that second separate touch in. You can accomplish this by using two fingers of course, but then you're holding the device really oddly.

So in a few years, when you're 'all' complaining about mobilization affecting PC games, you can fondly remember how it wasn't as bad with consolization heh : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Might & Magic Heroes VI "Tears" Trailer
2. Re: Might & Magic Heroes VI Oct 6, 2011, 12:20 Alamar

space captain wrote on Oct 5, 2011, 23:50:
homm is ok and all, but why cant we get another fucking M&M RPG??

seriously

I would like a World of Xeen remake (guess why : )...

Problem is, us fogey's might like the old style (well, ya'll fogeys, I can't do it anymore), but times change... The old system just doesn't work these days... At least outside of an idea game based more on hilarity ; )

So really, what I'm alluding to, is that it should be remade as a FPS hehe...

-Alamar

News Comments > Cryptic's Neverwinter Delayed, Now a F2P MMOG
3. Re: Cryptic's Neverwinter Delayed, Now a F2P MMOG Oct 6, 2011, 11:44 Alamar

Downer28 wrote on Oct 6, 2011, 11:27:
Not really interested in this simply because it's being developed by Cryptic. I also get the feeling they're trying to appeal to a more casual audience, so it'll probably be dumbed down D&D if anything.

heh... I'm not interested because it's Neverwinter, but because it's Cryptic, I'm tempted : )

-Alamar

News Comments > King's Bounty: Warriors of the North Announced
4. Re: King's Bounty: Warriors of the North Announced Oct 6, 2011, 11:42 Alamar

Kythlyn wrote on Oct 6, 2011, 11:29:
I just started playing this series. The Legend seems like an enourmous game. If the sequel, expansion and now this 2nd sequel are as big, oh man... that's a lot of King's Bounty. The question is, will the gameplay remain interesting throughout?

I can't speak for everyone, and this example isn't even necesarily indicative of anything but my sometimes typical long term play sessions...

If you're still with me, I'm merely trying to say, I picked up the KB 3 pack on steam (likely the summer sale), and got about 20-25 hours in, and moved on to other stuff... I keep wanting to go back, but when I try, I forget where I am, and I don't want to restart just to get a sense of placement...

-Alamar

News Comments > Blue's Diablo III Beta Preview
16. Re: Blue's Diablo III Beta Preview Oct 4, 2011, 16:42 Alamar

LaxerFL wrote on Oct 4, 2011, 15:47:
Without Skill points/trees I fail to see how this game will have ANY replayability... I am so disappointed with this change I hardly consider it a Diablo game. I can not believe Blizzard thought this was a good idea. I am still playing Diablo 2, 10 or 11 years later because every time I reroll I can do a different build. What's the point if everyone has all the skills every time?
Blizzard, you have a great track record and I have never doubted you before, but you really screwed the pooch on this one

Just about every time I install, and fire up the good ol Diablo 2, I just can't do it... And fire up Titan Quest instead....

I'm expecting to play/enjoy D3, but I'm also expecting to fire up TQ again in a few years when D3 just doesn't hold enough...

Course, on the other hand, one of the main strengths of TQ is one of it's main weaknesses (for me)... It's freaking huge... With so much artistic variety (locales, mobs, etc)... Anyhow... back to TQ... half way through Act II : )

Oh and nice review Blue : ) Likely better than I would have done : )

Keilun wrote on Oct 4, 2011, 16:40:
Still, I do wish they provided an option to not automate stat allocation...

I feel the opposite, at least to some degree... For these games, I generally don't use my stat/attribute points until I get a drop that requires them... And we're talking ~40 points lying around in some of these games... Now, conversely, it means I can't do this anymore, but instead that each piece of gear is made for each class at a specific lvl... So shouldn't have stat requirements at all (do they?).

-Alamar

News Comments > RAGE Reviews - PC Users Raging - ATI RAGE Drivers
45. Re: RAGE Reviews - PC Users Raging - ATI RAGE Drivers Oct 4, 2011, 12:43 Alamar

Verno wrote on Oct 4, 2011, 12:29:
Lorcin wrote on Oct 4, 2011, 12:26:
Or maybe it's just obsolete nowadays - remember when we as gamers had to tailor autoexec.bat and config.sys to cram as much low memory as we could while still enabling the cd-rom and soundcard etc? That all stopped with the introduction of Windows 95. Now with graphic options getting fewer and fewer over the last few years we're obviously getting to the point where the systems CAN configure themselves correctly to provide what the game designers have decided is how they want the game to look.

The number of configuration options hasn't exactly dwindled so I find this whole thing to be a false dichotomy. We're not at a point where engines can configure themselves perfectly and even if they could that's still ignoring that users might not like their choices and have to tweak to take into account varying eye sight and preferences.

And no I personally don't want to spend an hour or two tweaking settings, reading set up guides and running benchmarks (or worse playing the start 15 times with fraps running) to determine what is best - do it for me and let me play. But no I won't play an fps on a console either.

No one said you had to, the automatic configuration is there for people like you. I fail to see the problem in letting advanced users make advanced tweaks to meet their specific needs. Some of these things I wouldn't even classify as advanced, I shouldn't have to tweak cache sizes so I don't see texture pop in when I move my vision 20 degrees. That's something the game engine should be auto-configuring going by your logic.

For me, FPS > Anti Aliasing and Shadows...

And I'm not saying, I need to get my FPS from 50 to 80 by turning off this shit... I'm fine with a 20-30 FPS game, but those options (in particular) do very little to improve the high-action-fast-moving gameplay for me : )

-Alamar

News Comments > RAGE Reviews - PC Users Raging - ATI RAGE Drivers
44. Re: RAGE Reviews - PC Users Raging - ATI RAGE Drivers Oct 4, 2011, 12:41 Alamar

Beamer wrote on Oct 4, 2011, 12:05:
The reviews don't contradict anything anyone here has posted. It's a game with good mechanics and some interesting characters but it ends long before those characters do anything and before you feel you had time to do much with those mechanics.

Come on now, let's be fair... If a game is complete at launch, how do you expect them to make money on DLC? : )

-Alamar

News Comments > RAGE Steam Preloads Begin
12. Re: RAGE Steam Preloads Begin Sep 30, 2011, 22:58 Alamar

jacobvandy wrote on Sep 30, 2011, 22:04:
I'm convinced their "99% of customers" that don't come close to the cap figure is bullshit, or else qualified crookedly, because 250GB per month is nothing for a modern household with multiple people using several computers or internet-enabled devices for more than Facebook and email.

I've always been a power user, so I've used a lot of bandwidth.. But nowadays I go through about 100 GB a month...

Why so 'little'? The rare movie that I do download/stream, I don't grab the HD version (that when I last looked on the 360, was ~15GB vs the 1GB standard def version).... For little discern-able difference...

-Alamar

News Comments > Diablo III Speed Hack?
8. Re: Diablo III Speed Hack? Sep 30, 2011, 22:52 Alamar

Asmo wrote on Sep 30, 2011, 22:35:
Cram wrote on Sep 30, 2011, 21:46:
Hello, the D3 Beta called. Turns out, it's a beta.

I'm glad people are finding exploits before retail release. Hack away people, do your worst and get it out of the way.

In that case WoW must still be in beta because hacks and exploits still exist for it... /eyeroll

You'd be a very naive fanboi to believe otherwise... *grin*

Actually, you could be naive or simply ignorant to believe otherwise : )

Not knowing there are cheaters in (any) game isn't indicative of 'fanboi'ism...

Besides, don't they farm under the world anyways? How can you know they're really there, or just a badly phased node : )

Edit: On topic, what I find odd about this, is that it's a speed hack... Which hasn't changed much in two decades, so how is it still allowed... by a developer that has trashed it in other games... I saw a blue comment somewhat recently about how hackers don't float in org anymore, and other stuff related to this kind of hack... Odd : )

-Alamar

News Comments > RAGE Trailer
49. Re: RAGE Trailer Sep 30, 2011, 22:50 Alamar

Krovven wrote on Sep 30, 2011, 21:33:
Alamar wrote on Sep 30, 2011, 20:35:
Incidentally, is there any replayability? Co-Op? I'm not in the loop : )

Why not look up info on the game and get the answers yourself?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/9200/

Series of promo videos.
http://www.rage.com/en/media/media-videos

Has Co-op, Multiplayer is vehicular only.

Ya, I looked on steam after I posted...

"exclusive co-op modes" doesn't sound like my cup of sodey pop : )

-Alamar

47. Re: RAGE Trailer Sep 30, 2011, 20:39 Alamar

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Sep 30, 2011, 11:54:
Fletch wrote on Sep 30, 2011, 11:13:
Pirate XBOX360 and PS3 versions already in the ether. I await the developer/industry "Pirates are Killing Console Gaming" rants.
How many Steamworks titles have actually been cracked before release? From what I can tell it seems to be effective at preventing pre-release leaks, though seems to offer no challenge to crackers post-release. Afterall, it used to be that games were available pirated weeks before they were actually released, which meant even paying customers would often download it just to play it early.

Nowadays I typically see posts about the console version being pirated before the PC version, so the tables really have turned. And yet publishers still seem to whine more about PC piracy and make no mention of console piracy.

It's all about consistency... If all 360 games, and all ps3 games (separately, not as a group) use the same protection, then once it's cracked once, you're just running a utility to do the 'hard work'... Plus, I'm no expert on this, because I ignore the news most times, but I thought PS3 cracking took a long time... But once it was done, and the method disseminates, it's easy peasy (for those in the know).

PC game cracking used to vary quite a bit (home grown vs all the hated DRM schemes you can list).. Now that everything is on Steam, it should hold true the same as consoles, unless they're always changing their copy protection schemes...

-Alamar

46. Re: RAGE Trailer Sep 30, 2011, 20:35 Alamar

Verno wrote on Sep 30, 2011, 09:12:
I don't know, maybe I'm just too optimistic or naive but I preordered because it looks like Borderlands with actual gameplay that's worth a damn.

I find this amusing, as, being a fan of Borderlands, I look at Rage, and wonder why I would want to play it ; )

Incidentally, is there any replayability? Co-Op? I'm not in the loop : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Syndicate FPS Trailer
32. Re: Syndicate FPS Trailer Sep 29, 2011, 20:09 Alamar

Drezden wrote on Sep 29, 2011, 19:26:
Lev Arris wrote on Sep 29, 2011, 18:17:
Jerykk wrote on Sep 29, 2011, 12:26:
Dear marketing team(s),

Please stop using dubstep soundtracks in your trailers. Thank you.

Slight difference between slapping dubstep on a trailer, and paying someone to make a dubstep version of the original Syndicate music.

Maybe I only picked that up though because I have played the original game.

As soon as I heard the Syndicate theme start up it made me giddy, so no you weren't alone.

heh same, but it only lasted a few seconds...

It's like... Doctor Who... I like the new one, and the new music has grown on me, but it's all about the wooooowooooooo (You know what I mean).

-Alamar

News Comments > PC is Dead to I Am Alive
14. Re: PC is Dead to I Am Alive Sep 29, 2011, 17:14 Alamar

JohnBirshire wrote on Sep 29, 2011, 17:10:
This was actually a really stupid move on their part, wasn't there an indie developer on here not too long ago that stated they sold more copies of their game in one week on PC than in 6 months on XBox Live? I know they aren't an indie developer, but still...

Holy context malfunction...

They sold more on PC (Steam was it?), than the Xbox indie portal... Which is pure and complete crap... So no, it's not indicative of AA(A?) results...

Not saying some higher end games don't do better on PC, but it seems rare... What with all the rampant piracy and what not...

-Alamar

News Comments > PC is Dead to I Am Alive
9. Re: PC is Dead to I Am Alive Sep 29, 2011, 16:10 Alamar

StingingVelvet wrote on Sep 29, 2011, 15:49:
It's almost like the CEO of Ubisoft had a PC rape his daughter or something. They have an almost irrational fear of and hatred for our platform. While other publishers are embracing us more, they run away and scorn us.

Good thing 90% of their games are shit anyway.

I'll take a stand here and assume that no rape was involved... And that Ubi neither 'fears' or 'hates' the PC platform... They do, however, like many companies, love the monies ; )

I can't see this being a bad thing though... For a company considered so unfriendly to PC gaming, we're better off with them, and any other consolization nation (heh) company sticking to consoles, because we obviously don't want shitty ports : )

Better that we have few, quality titles, than the many shiny turds we do so (and complain so much about).

-Alamar

News Comments > MechWarrior Reboot News Nears
7. Re: MechWarrior Reboot News Nears Sep 29, 2011, 12:03 Alamar

deadearth wrote on Sep 29, 2011, 11:11:
I'm sure it'll end up being a first person shooter with a cover system and regenerating health.

I kid, i kid.

Aren't mechwarrior games already first person? And a shooter... Some systems already repair themselves... And I'll leave cover system alone, as I assume people mean 'easy mode' cover where you hold a button, and you can't be hit... as opposed to all those walls and buildings you cover behind : )

-Alamar

News Comments > RIFT Patched
1. Re: RIFT Patched Sep 28, 2011, 17:20 Alamar

The level cap wasn't raised... There is just a new form of advancement at 50...

'Advance beyond level 50' is misleading : )

-Alamar

News Comments > New AMD Catalyst Drivers
2. Re: New AMD Catalyst Drivers Sep 28, 2011, 17:19 Alamar

Is this the patch that makes them fun?

The drivers that is... Not the list of games... : )

-Alamar

1920 Comments. 96 pages. Viewing page 58.
< Newer [ 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo