Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Alamar

Real Name Alamar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 26, 2005, 15:11
Total Comments 1870 (Pro)
User ID 22996

User comment history
< Newer [ 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 ] Older >

News Comments > Quoteworthy - Carmack on Framerates
10. Re: Quoteworthy - Carmack on Framerates Sep 15, 2011, 11:45 Alamar

I can't stand when my games run below 10 fps... 15 is fine, but 10 is just too low...

-Alamar

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - TrackMania 2: Canyon
20. Re: Ships Ahoy - TrackMania 2: Canyon Sep 14, 2011, 19:53 Alamar

Blue wrote on Sep 14, 2011, 16:53:
Cutter wrote on Sep 14, 2011, 16:25:
I'l lprobably pick this up at some point. Is there a demo for it? And Blue, are you playing it, going to be running a server for it?

Frans has been very busy lately, so we haven't discussed it yet. However, since one of the things he's been busy with was the TrackMania 2 beta, it seems like a good bet.

I'd like to wait for a steam version, but this would likely make it an instant buy... I mean... beating all the people I trash talk on here would surely be rewarding : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Diablo III Skill Calculator
14. Re: Diablo III Skill Calculator Sep 14, 2011, 16:07 Alamar

Wallshadows wrote on Sep 13, 2011, 23:37:
The calculator is nice to go over. I figure my first character will be used strictly for magic finding as I was the case for D2 to fuel my other characters with items and wealth. However, now that I see there will be a fairly large cooldown on Teleport even with the passive 20% reduction through Evocation, I'll have to go over each tree and watch some videos in the future in the event that I am not in the beta.

Look at the 'wormhole' rune for TP... It says the CD doesn't start for 2s... which sounded 'like a nerf', but I think it means you can spam TP , as long as you don't stop for 2s.

Gadzooks wrote on Sep 14, 2011, 13:03:
This new tool, feels... bland. Its not the tools fault. Its the fact that D3s skill system is so different. There isnt really a feel of customizing your own unique build. There is no sense of choice.

There really isnt even a reason to use a tool like this because the system feels so dumbed down.

It's an 'unlock' system I believe, so you unlock all your skills, load them up with a rune, then select your 'load out' for missions, much like GW (a system I hated, so we'll see how it goes)... But it does imply they're designing with competitive PVP in mind...

Coming up with a great combo of 6 abilities with 6 runes that blend well together will be no less work than that required to make a good D2 build... Or, just check whatever website lists the OP build ; )

-Alamar

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2011, 14:23 Alamar

Dragon's Lair... Comes out again (with no changes) every few years on a new platform... Talk about milking a dead cow...

On the other hand, I picked it up on DVD like a decade ago, beat it, lent it out, but haven't touched it since.

As for this arcade thing... What is this mystical entity of which you speak? Was just lamenting the loss of mall arcades recently... We have 'super arcades' still, like Palladium and Dave & Busters, but I miss the little room at the local mall with a bunch of games, and practically no overhead lighting...

Course, at my age, going in there would seem kind of creepy... : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Serious Sam Double D Demo Coming, Donations Requested
4. Re: Serious Sam Double D Demo Coming, Donations Requested Sep 13, 2011, 14:17 Alamar

I like this... I don't think they're 'surprised', or over-reacting like some have, and will claim...

They're merely trying to tell the 'pirate community', that if you liked the game, buy it... As they should ; )

Personally, I love side scrollers, but I thought their advertising was dumb, so I totally skipped this (including the 'demo' apparently available).

-Alamar

News Comments > GameStop's Tablet Plans
12. Re: GameStop's Tablet Plans Sep 13, 2011, 11:04 Alamar

EddieTheHack wrote on Sep 12, 2011, 21:54:
Its funny watching GameStop skitter around like an ant, too and fro, attempting to avoid the fate it is destined to fulfill. They really are grasping at any thread of relevance and screaming how much gamers need them, all the while viciously lashing out at their demographic like the petulant child they are. Good riddance Game Stop. You will not be missed. No tears will be shed. Your just another failed paradigm on the ash heap of history. Say hello to beta max for us.

Hey now, no need to insult Beta... It was a superior product, that failed to live up to the mass-production world VHS was in...

It's a good reminder, for things like that other thread where we talked about how 'new products' are made to last as little time as possible so you can buy the new hotness... Better products don't survive, because we as consumers choose to buy the cheap shit all too often ; )

-Alamar

News Comments > Why the Syndicate Remake is a First-Person Shooter
66. Re: Why the Syndicate Remake is a First-Person Shooter Sep 13, 2011, 10:37 Alamar

ThatMonkey wrote on Sep 13, 2011, 04:57:
Half of what made Syndicate so good is the perspective. The gameplay was BASED on what you could do with squad-based real-time combat in an isometric view. Changing it is like doing first person Mario. Imagine that...

"It was always going to be an FPS," Nintendo game director Shigeru Miyamoto tells them. "The original nub of the idea was to take that viewpoint from the original game and zoom into the Plumber's head, and play that part. A closer experience - to become one of those Plumbers."

"We're big fans of the original Mario, and we're definitely paying as much homage to it as we can - bringing across the essence of the world, the core essence of what it is to be a Plumber," he explains. "That sounds wanky but it's true - we're taking the Mushroom Kingdom and evolving it in different ways, the shells and wacky fun. On both facets of the game, the co-op and the single player, it's very key to stay true to it." He also offers this reassurance for disgruntled Nintendo fans: "I think the game speaks for itself. We've been very lucky to work with a great, original world, and create another facet of it really. I would love them to like it. You're never going to please everyone."

Absurd, and yet basically the same thing.

Aren't all Mario games 3D in a third person perspective now? Didn't they start that way? : )

/sarcasm

-Alamar

News Comments > Why the Syndicate Remake is a First-Person Shooter
65. Re: Why the Syndicate Remake is a First-Person Shooter Sep 13, 2011, 10:16 Alamar

Beamer wrote on Sep 12, 2011, 21:39:
That's the only thing from Syndicate I'd lament losing, but that's also the only thing from Syndicate I'd say is distinctly Syndicate. Not perspective, not missions, just the persuadatron.

I disagree... I think what makes Syndicate Syndicate is the sound effect when you use the menu's...

As for all the talk about an actual remake that sells 200k copies (Awesome for indie, crappy for triple-eh)... Sounds like something a small studio could do, and do well. Get on it!

briktal wrote on Sep 12, 2011, 23:04:
Annex wrote on Sep 12, 2011, 22:47:
Beamer wrote on Sep 12, 2011, 22:02:
That would sell about 200k copies.

Let some indie do that. It doesn't need to be Syndicate - let them create a new world with new twists in plot, setting and gameplay.

Fine so why not call this FPS game something other than Syndicate and have them hire a studio that actually wants to make a true sequel?

Because they aren't jaded gamers wishing everything was like it was back when they were younger and gaming wasn't so mainstream. Maybe they, like lots of people probably have, thought "oh man wouldn't a Syndicate FPS be cool?"

Genre hopping, like media hopping (games to movies or vice versa), are usually crap... : )

However, I didn't much like Command & Conquer... Played a bunch of them, from the start, and they were alright (my mom and her bf loved them though).

But personally, I really enjoyed C&C Renegade (the FPS one), because it was kind of like you were one of the units... Sadly, it didn't do too well, because genre hopping is usually crap : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Reasons to leave Sep 9, 2011, 20:42 Alamar

That isn't limited to game dev places either... Quite a few places 'require' employees to sign some scary clauses...

I joined a place about a decade ago that handed me some similar paperwork way back... Even being a big opportunity for me, I wasn't going to 'fall for that', so while the co-workers lamented about the unfairness (and then signed it), I had mine altered (adding clause about work done outside of work hours is mine), initialed and then signed : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Space Marine MIA from U.K. Steam
2. Re: Space Marine MIA from U.K. Steam Sep 9, 2011, 20:34 Alamar

bfg9000 wrote on Sep 9, 2011, 20:28:
Sounds like classic Eldar to me. Show yourselves and fight you girly space elves!

You guys are such geeks...

And yes, that is a compliment : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Out of the Blue
23. Re: Samsung Rant Sep 9, 2011, 12:53 Alamar

xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 9, 2011, 12:28:
You know....I have been a big fan of Samsung products. I believe that the price you pay for the product reflects the quality. You get what you pay for. With that being said, I think they have a more expensive product because you get a better quality item.

Now. I had a Samsung monitor go out a while back, and it was replaced under warranty for a bad panel. Cool, thanks, all good to go.

Now I have a Samsung receiver, and it started crackling on the right speaker last night during the game. Now it is doing it non stop after contacting support and they won't cover it. Looking on the nets, this is a huge known problem, and Samsung won't do squat other than for me to pay shipping and they will fix it for 80.00 plus shipping.

Looking online, the part is available for $15.00.
Called a local shop, starting fees are $130.00.

I will take a gamble and try and fix it for $15.00.
If that doesn't work. No harm no foul and I will just buy a new NON SAMSUNG RECEIVER.

Growing up in a home with a father who owned a record store, a brother who was 8 years ahead of me, and having ROOMS full of equipment and records....it boggles my mind that a 500.00 receiver doesn't last more than a few years. We still have receivers from the 70s and 80s that out perform most things you can buy in the store.

Anyway. I am done with Samsung.

/rant

This is the drawback of grudging (yes, I verbed it), and conversely, why it's so good there are like a billion alternatives...

Let's pull a number out of my ass, and say that 99% of manufacturers/vendors/whatever have at least one story/product/etc this fits in with (they made a bad product, seemingly know about it, and won't rectify it).

And I'm not saying I wouldn't do the same (stay away from a manufacturer if I had a distastefully bad experience), but in the end, you just end up with a huge list because every (again, 99%) company puts out some garbage : )

/rant

Personally, I like Samsung... My first LCD was Samsung; ran out and bought a second to match it shortly after. They both ended up dying, but I had them for a good amount of time (considering cost n such)... One died during warranty, called them, got an RMA # for UPS, dropped it off, no hassle, no payment, and got the replacement shortly after.

Replaced them with 2 more Samsung LCDs, which I've been using for a few years with no probs... And we bought a Samsung LCD TV, so I guess I support Samsung... At least until one of their products screws me over... : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Gearbox Seeks Borderlands Feedback
12. Re: Gearbox Seeks Borderlands Feedback Sep 9, 2011, 11:33 Alamar

Acleacius wrote on Sep 9, 2011, 10:25:
How about an option to disable Cell Shading in the collectors edition?

Ewww... I realize some people don't like the style (took a bit for it to grow on me), but it's not a magic switch...

Some of the effect is done at render time, but the assets are built with this in mind, and turning off the render-time portion would make it look like ass... Or assier, for those that already don't like it : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution The Missing Link Announcement
24. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution The Missing Link Announcement Sep 8, 2011, 16:26 Alamar

I feel ripped off... I didn't wake up from that cry-pod with a bunch of extra xp...

Incidentally, if this covers the 'missing' time on that boat ride, that does kind of scream 'incomplete game'... Right Beamer? (or whoever; I'm bad with names).

-Alamar

This comment was edited on Sep 8, 2011, 16:31.

News Comments > Dead Island "Private Joke" Goes Public
26. Re: Dead Island "Private Joke" Goes Public Sep 8, 2011, 16:15 Alamar

Wonder what was more offensive; feminist or whore...

-Alamar

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Space Marine
2. Re: Ships Ahoy - Space Marine Sep 6, 2011, 21:23 Alamar

I'm still on the fence... If I get super bored again, I'll likely pick it up... even with 4 brand new games I haven't started yet... Hard to say...

I enjoyed the demo, but in the end, it's just another shooter, so not sure.. maybe when it's cheaper.

-Alamar

News Comments > RAGE Specs
5. Re: RAGE Specs Sep 6, 2011, 21:19 Alamar

Didn't recommended specs used to mean something? I think my PC from like 3 years ago beat that by a good deal...

-Alamar

News Comments > Crytek Refutes Working Conditions Accusations
21. Re: Crytek Refutes Working Conditions Accusations Sep 5, 2011, 16:41 Alamar

Beamer wrote on Sep 5, 2011, 16:37:
Cutter
Unfortunately labour laws in most countries don't amount to shit, and the courts almost always come down on the side of companies. I've had a few cases over the years of being unlawfully canned

How were you unlawfully canned? Were you fired for race, gender, religious belief, etc?

Could have been one of his well thought-out constructive criticisms... : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Debug Mod
27. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Debug Mod Sep 5, 2011, 11:49 Alamar

Creston wrote on Sep 4, 2011, 15:51:
StingingVelvet wrote on Sep 4, 2011, 14:39:
Not sure how you could play without health regen, there are way too few healing items to compensate.

Yeah, it'd be pretty difficult. Although I guess if you're a Ghost it won't matter much. You'll need a few hypostims for the boss fights, and that's about it.

Creston

Not likely that people will use this kind of thing without having played the game first... by which point, they should know that you can get through all the boss fights without taking significant any damage.

-Alamar

News Comments > Steam Top 10
8. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 4, 2011, 20:31 Alamar

Creston wrote on Sep 4, 2011, 15:52:
Deus Ex still number one! WOOT WOOT!

I hope it sells a kajillion copies so they have no choice but to make another one.

Creston

More... Boss... Fights... That's what all those sales are reinforcing : )

The third one, and the fact I was fucked over by a choice hours before, pissed me right off... : )

And no, I didn't feel better because it was 'more challenging', but I did finally finish the game yesterday... Not a bad game... Good deal of content for the money, which is ironic, because it didn't really have more content than most shooters... Just encouraged you to go through it slower. I have no interest in the DLC though... The story just wasn't good enough, or original enough, to want me to come back for more...

-Alamar

News Comments > Borderlands 2 ShakyCam Footage
17. Re: Borderlands 2 ShakyCam Footage Sep 4, 2011, 20:09 Alamar

Drezden wrote on Sep 4, 2011, 15:18:
Holy shit, god forbid the game just be FUN. There are few games I've put the amount of time into that I did Borderlands. Or similar games like Diablo1/2.

I'm sure Borderlands 2 will be just as fun and full of humor as the first one. Hell to this day my Text sound on my phone is a Scooter quote ("Aw Smokin Jesus Titty Cinnamon thats a Monstaaar, Thats gonna be Sweeeeeeeet")

You guys are ridiculous

Pre-DLC Scooter rocked the casbah ; )

One of my fav game characters in a long time... though I'm not all that sure why; I just love him : )

-Alamar

1870 Comments. 94 pages. Viewing page 58.
< Newer [ 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo