Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Alamar

Real Name Alamar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 26, 2005, 15:11
Total Comments 1885 (Pro)
User ID 22996

User comment history
< Newer [ 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 ] Older >

News Comments > Aion Anniversary Reactivation Offer
2. Re: Aion Anniversary Reactivation Offer Sep 23, 2011, 17:38 Alamar

Metasparks wrote on Sep 23, 2011, 14:33:
Does this game remind you guys of Rift or WoW at all?

No.

-Alamar

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Diablo III in Early 2012; Beta to Expand
39. Re: Diablo III in Early 2012; Beta to Expand Sep 23, 2011, 17:04 Alamar

Optional nickname wrote on Sep 23, 2011, 16:21:
to the entire internet posts that claim they won't buy it: See you all in the US EAST ladder come game time!

Challenge accepted... and discarded...

I will likely buy the game... Though that likelihood has dropped per announcement (used to be the opposite)...

But worrying about ladders? In an action RPG? No thankie : )

-Alamar

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Sep 22, 2011, 22:43 Alamar

Holy crapple, it would be about damn time if you didn't HAVE to click to move... I hate that design... I feel like I'm playing the game one handed, because all I can do with my left hand is occasionally open a UI tab, or click a skill...

Don't know that I'd want to specifically play with a game pad (haven't used one on a PC in like 15 years), but WASD support would rock my socks.

-Alamar

News Comments > Diablo III DRM Problems
65. Re: Diablo III DRM Problems Sep 22, 2011, 20:43 Alamar

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 19:36:
Here's hoping Grim Dawn, Torchlight 2 and Path of Exile are all awesome.

Diablo 3 is not only a boycott on principle, but honestly my ISP has been disconnecting me for 3-4 seconds at a time, regularly, for weeks, and of course they have no clue how to solve that conundrum.

Physically unable for Diablo 3.

/me sheds bitter tears.

'Always on DRM' and 'constant uninterrupted connection' are actually two quite different things...

I can't argue that it won't happen how you fear in D3 (since WoW boots you out if you fart too loudly near your modem), but it's easy enough to have 'hidden' reconnects, especially in this style of game.

-Alamar

News Comments > Op Ed
12. Re: matthew@welchkin.net Sep 22, 2011, 11:31 Alamar

Watter wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 11:27:
It's interesting that everyone's commenting on the first/third person thing when what really caught my eye was:
It took just three hours before I'd hacked and slashed my way to the main storyline's satisfying conclusion
I hope that isn't true. Perhaps I'm an aberration in that I never once played any of the Diablo's as multiplayer, only single player, but a three hour game? I think I'd have to pass on that.

The DEMO is 3h...

-Alamar

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Sep 22, 2011, 11:22 Alamar

Should D3 have been a FPS? Obviously not... Obviously...

Should a FPS be made with Diablo style game play? Hell yes... And it's not like there isn't, but the FPS-RPG 'genre' (sub genre?) needs to expand... One of the aspects I like the most about Borderlands (or honestly, any game), is the 'rpg' elements...

Part of the problem has, and will continue to be, the differentiation (/bigwords) of auto-hit (where your characters stats matter), and player-hit. GW2 is trying to get away from auto-hit a bit, but it's still going to be relevant...

Fallout tried to get away with it by having the RPG elements increase weapon damage (and other stats)... But is still heavily auto-hit (VATS) based...

And on the other end of the spectrum, FPS' are more about player dodging (and weapon selection) than any kind of player stats, but even that has been changing (again, gun stats, but also speed, jump height, etc...)... reminds me of that awesome RPUT mod for UT : )

-Alamar

News Comments > NCIS Game Next Month
10. Re: NCIS Game Next Month Sep 21, 2011, 17:20 Alamar

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Sep 21, 2011, 17:14:
NCIS is one of the worst TV shows that I have ever had the misfortune of watching. The acting is appalling, the plots are absurd, the writing is infantile and for a show about the US Navy it seems to revolve far too heavily around land..

Interesting... I'm a big fan of NCIS... For me, I felt it was a much more interesting, with actual characters, forensic-style-show (or in short, CSI with characters).

But then, I have no involvement in the navy or the like... When I see shows about things I know about, it bothers me that they talk so incorrectly about (like just about anything computer related...).

-Alamar

News Comments > Diablo III Closed Beta Begins
48. Re: Diablo III Closed Beta Begins Sep 21, 2011, 13:48 Alamar

Verno wrote on Sep 21, 2011, 10:21:
I agree, can someone enlighten me, please, why people have a mindset to run away from DRM, as it is an actual Ebola Virus? After 15 years of this DRM talk, I still don't understand, am I the only one missing something?

Most DRM has only negative connotations for legitimate buyers and rarely affects pirates. Case in point, there is already a basic server emulator for the Diablo III beta, something that previous DRM defenders claimed would take months if not years. A friend of mine loaded it up and says it's quite rough but they literally cobbled it together in 2 days, it will only improve from here. In this case the DRM is basically an attempt to stave off piracy (DRM doesn't really work at this) and to secure their multiplayer item sale AH stuff.

To add to this... DRM is no different than any other inconvenience in life... If YOU PERSONALLY have not been fucked over by DRM (aka copy protection), then why would you care? It helps keep the game legit, and improves your experience...

For those that it will affect, it's annoying... And us gamers are obsessive creatures... When I get Diablo III (or any other new release), I usually play it hardcore; I eat, sleep, dream, etc the game, so no, I don't want to have to load up some crappy 'old' game (like Deus Ex - the old busted in this example), because I happened to have lost my connection for 5m, 15m, 1h-48h (whatever), and want to play the new hotness...

Anyhow... Complaints on Blues News will rarely (but not never - lots of old timer game devs visit) have an effect, but if you really want your complaints to have an impact, put them in the right place... Companies (and Blizzard specifically) have changed policy when there is enough public outcry... But whimpering in a forum 'over there' won't amount to much ; )

-Alamar

News Comments > Diablo III Closed Beta Begins
12. Re: Diablo III Closed Beta Begins Sep 20, 2011, 19:34 Alamar

Wallshadows wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 19:20:
For me, I simply don't understand the reasoning behind not wanting to purchase the title for requiring an online connection when 99% of the time I spent was through closed battle.net... /shrug

For me, I simply don't understand how you could not want to purchase it either...

As for the hundreds of thousands of people that didn't spend much (or any) time on closed battle.net, it might be different...

For me, with all their crap lately, it's gone from a must buy, to a most likely buy (I'm honest with myself... I can't claim I won't get it...).

-Alamar

News Comments > Game of Thrones RPG "Won't Be Along for a While"
14. Re: Game of Thrones RPG "Won't Be Along for a While" Sep 20, 2011, 16:56 Alamar

My vote is for Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series...

Think it clocked in at 10 books, maybe 11... I need to re-read it...

Anyhow, my personal fav... : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Rogers Ordered to Stop Throttling WoW and Other Games
35. Re: Rogers Ordered to Stop Throttling WoW and Other Games Sep 18, 2011, 13:42 Alamar

Riker wrote on Sep 18, 2011, 10:07:
Fantaz wrote on Sep 18, 2011, 00:58:
Maybe It's time to switch ISPs... a 95gb cap is too low.

Cable with TekSavvy offers 300gb. Check them out.

I looked at TekSavvy when my boss suggested it a few months back... and I didn't much like what I saw...

Plus, how does this make sense?

Activation fee = $44.95, Save $20 with a modem purchase!
Move Fee = $65

So it's $45 for new service, but if you're loyal, and need to move, it costs more? Why not cancel and re-activate to save $20?

Not sure if things changed, or what not, but it does look a bit better now... However, I'd end up saving about $10 a month, for less speed, but a bigger cap... But with their $135 activation (45 - 20 + 100 + 10), that would take a little over a year to save any money... And assumes I don't move ; )

I also live in an apartment building, and in the last year, cable has gone out twice... Service dude finally got here (4-5 days out), and all it was, was someone fucking up the local connection... Do I really want to pay TekSavvy $99 for each of those times (they don't care who's fault it is : ).

Prior to that, I switched to Rogers from Sympatico, because the DSL service had gone to shit, and after many attempts, it wasn't fixed, so I switched and have had about 1 problem a year (average obviously), so naturally, that factors in to my not wanting to switch ; )

-Alamar

News Comments > New Gaming Peripherals
36. Re: New Gaming Peripherals Sep 17, 2011, 11:12 Alamar

I haven't gone out of my way to buy a wireless mouse/keyboard, but holy crap I love the wirelesses of the ones that came with my iMac, as well as the wireless controllers for xbox/ps3/wii...

But sticking with the computer mouse... I'm a person that finds the wires a pain in the ass at times, especially when I need to make barely perceptible movements, and the cord either hits the computer/monitor/whatever or hangs off the desk. Major enough that it's annoying, but minor enough that I haven't purposefully spent money to get away from it.

As for keyboards, I often have my feet up, and the keyboard on my lap, so having a short cable can certainly suck, but most times, it's been long enough. Had a MS keyboard from like 10 years ago that rocked the casbah... Long cord, heavy/solid unit... Best keyboard I've ever owned... Too bad their (and every other manufacturer's) newer models are cheap/light crap. So again, I like the wireless one when I'm on the mac, but not enough to purposefully buy wireless keyboards...

And then there are the batteries... Not that big a deal with rechargeable's, but then, it's another expense, even if small. But I admit I always giggled like a little school girl when playing any game (WoW/massive, FPS, RTS, whatever), and someone I'm playing with starts cursing that their mouse batteries just died : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Mother Fired After Taking Time Off To Give Her Son A Kidney Sep 16, 2011, 11:21 Alamar

This is exactly why I don't bother with the news (other than here; good job Blue : )...

The media plays on your emotions by bringing up irrelevance (previous death/illness/blahblah), interviews the supervisor to make him look like a bad guy, etc...

Some of the facts in the boo-hoo-fest report show that the employee agreed to lose her job to take the time off... And then a big stink was made because she didn't accept the consequences of her actions...

I think it is a crappy situation, and I feel for her... And if it happens to me, I'll be mad, but I'll know that it was my choice (and not much of a choice - Loved ones > other).

Anyhow, enough ranting... I know it's a rare point of view : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Dead Island DLC Waits for Patches
10. Re: Dead Island DLC Waits for Patches Sep 15, 2011, 22:29 Alamar

Wallshadows wrote on Sep 15, 2011, 21:37:
They release a totally broken game and they rock?

Well, they could have taken all of our money and not do a damn thing about it so a little respect where respect is due even if it's late.

Like they say, better late then never.

I wholeheartedly disagree... I respect companies that don't try to spin their mistakes into PR, and instead spend their time fixing without trying to brand themselves heroic : )

I remember the days when you knew a company would just fix their game before cashing in on bug fixed DLC.

-Alamar

News Comments > Orcs Must Die! Interactive Trailer
3. Re: Orcs Must Die! Interactive Trailer Sep 15, 2011, 14:36 Alamar

Holy crapple... That was a really nice way to promote choices in their game... Color me impressed...

I had looked at this game before, and it looks neat (I have Sanctum and Dungeon Defenders; for iOS, waiting on PC version, so naturally, I like the 3D Tower Defense style genre).

Now I'm more likely to pick it up right away... But I don't see it on steam...

-Alamar

News Comments > Quoteworthy - Carmack on Framerates
10. Re: Quoteworthy - Carmack on Framerates Sep 15, 2011, 11:45 Alamar

I can't stand when my games run below 10 fps... 15 is fine, but 10 is just too low...

-Alamar

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - TrackMania 2: Canyon
20. Re: Ships Ahoy - TrackMania 2: Canyon Sep 14, 2011, 19:53 Alamar

Blue wrote on Sep 14, 2011, 16:53:
Cutter wrote on Sep 14, 2011, 16:25:
I'l lprobably pick this up at some point. Is there a demo for it? And Blue, are you playing it, going to be running a server for it?

Frans has been very busy lately, so we haven't discussed it yet. However, since one of the things he's been busy with was the TrackMania 2 beta, it seems like a good bet.

I'd like to wait for a steam version, but this would likely make it an instant buy... I mean... beating all the people I trash talk on here would surely be rewarding : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Diablo III Skill Calculator
14. Re: Diablo III Skill Calculator Sep 14, 2011, 16:07 Alamar

Wallshadows wrote on Sep 13, 2011, 23:37:
The calculator is nice to go over. I figure my first character will be used strictly for magic finding as I was the case for D2 to fuel my other characters with items and wealth. However, now that I see there will be a fairly large cooldown on Teleport even with the passive 20% reduction through Evocation, I'll have to go over each tree and watch some videos in the future in the event that I am not in the beta.

Look at the 'wormhole' rune for TP... It says the CD doesn't start for 2s... which sounded 'like a nerf', but I think it means you can spam TP , as long as you don't stop for 2s.

Gadzooks wrote on Sep 14, 2011, 13:03:
This new tool, feels... bland. Its not the tools fault. Its the fact that D3s skill system is so different. There isnt really a feel of customizing your own unique build. There is no sense of choice.

There really isnt even a reason to use a tool like this because the system feels so dumbed down.

It's an 'unlock' system I believe, so you unlock all your skills, load them up with a rune, then select your 'load out' for missions, much like GW (a system I hated, so we'll see how it goes)... But it does imply they're designing with competitive PVP in mind...

Coming up with a great combo of 6 abilities with 6 runes that blend well together will be no less work than that required to make a good D2 build... Or, just check whatever website lists the OP build ; )

-Alamar

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2011, 14:23 Alamar

Dragon's Lair... Comes out again (with no changes) every few years on a new platform... Talk about milking a dead cow...

On the other hand, I picked it up on DVD like a decade ago, beat it, lent it out, but haven't touched it since.

As for this arcade thing... What is this mystical entity of which you speak? Was just lamenting the loss of mall arcades recently... We have 'super arcades' still, like Palladium and Dave & Busters, but I miss the little room at the local mall with a bunch of games, and practically no overhead lighting...

Course, at my age, going in there would seem kind of creepy... : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Serious Sam Double D Demo Coming, Donations Requested
4. Re: Serious Sam Double D Demo Coming, Donations Requested Sep 13, 2011, 14:17 Alamar

I like this... I don't think they're 'surprised', or over-reacting like some have, and will claim...

They're merely trying to tell the 'pirate community', that if you liked the game, buy it... As they should ; )

Personally, I love side scrollers, but I thought their advertising was dumb, so I totally skipped this (including the 'demo' apparently available).

-Alamar

1885 Comments. 95 pages. Viewing page 58.
< Newer [ 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo