Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Alamar

Real Name Alamar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 26, 2005, 15:11
Total Comments 1764 (Pro)
User ID 22996

User comment history
< Newer [ 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
4. Re: Study: why bother to remember when you can just use Google? Jul 15, 2011, 09:30 Alamar

Sepharo wrote on Jul 15, 2011, 00:41:

The memory aspect of it seems to be especially bad with code. 5 years of school and 3 years of work and I still routinely refer to documentation/articles and especially surrounding code for stuff I should know as well as I do the alphabet.

Embarrassingly I'd probably be pretty lost with no internet access and a clean harddrive.

only one, it's Libya

As you age, this only gets worse... Things to look forward to... dot com...

Somewhat related... I had a job interview ~7 years ago, where a portion was to make a class that used STL extensively... Well... I had 'dabbled' with STL in the past, but nowhere enough for this... And the coding test machine had no internet (which is good), but it did have a full MSDN library, which is why I was hired : )

In short, this is nothing new... People were saying the same thing 30 years ago about calculators (and other examples I won't bring up)... 'oh, we got lerned (sic) our 'times tables' in school, we didn't need to rely on technology'... 'Ya? What's 23.6 to the power of 4... How's them times tables stacking up biatch'... <- paraphrased for your amusement : )

-Alamar

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Videogame Physical Sales Down 10% in June
28. Re: Videogame Physical Sales Down 10% in June Jul 15, 2011, 09:18 Alamar

Dev wrote on Jul 15, 2011, 07:50:
Some indies DO make it to boxed editions. I consider Plants vs Zombies an indie title and they had a deluxe boxed version I picked up that had a zombie figurine in it.

Sure, it's a term that has more than one definition, but I don't consider a company that was just bought for ~1.3 billion the same thing as an 'indie'... Sure, they may not have a separate publisher, but really, it's not like the other titles mentioned in this thread (magicka, sanctum, terraria, etc...).

-Alamar

News Comments > Tribes: Ascend at QuakeCon
3. Re: Tribes: Ascend at QuakeCon Jul 13, 2011, 17:53 Alamar

OldScho0l wrote on Jul 13, 2011, 17:26:
I lost almost all hope in this when another user here mentioned that it's using an unreal engine. That alone is a nail in it's coffin imho.

You say some very odd things...

-Alamar

News Comments > On PlanetSide 2 Microtransactions
15. Re: On PlanetSide 2 Microtransactions Jul 13, 2011, 15:03 Alamar

John Lovitz wrote on Jul 13, 2011, 12:47:
If only World of Tanks was, oh i don't know, a MMOG. Why the hell do people keep saying it? Thats like waiting in the lobby of starcraft 2 and saying "look i'm playing a MMO".

<cough>Guild Wars<cough>

-Alamar

News Comments > etc.
19. Re: The Relationship Experts of the Today Show Don't Think Men in Their 30s Should Play Video Games. Jul 12, 2011, 16:45 Alamar

NoBS wrote on Jul 12, 2011, 16:23:
Beamer wrote on Jul 12, 2011, 16:17:
Yup, Valve is just dying to sell this to your neighbor, your mother in law, the IRS agent working your account and your fairy godmother.
What Valve may or may not want to do with this information is irrelevant. The fact is that once the information is gathered and stored, it can be disseminated or put to all sorts of uses whether intended or not. Just ask Sony or Epsilon about that.

Personally, I have never heard of a company purchasing another company, and getting access to all their user information...

And don't ToS's, that normal users can't even wade through, typically include lines like 'may change at any time'... Though I guess now (adays), the ToS update would trigger the re-reading (for the 0.001% of the population that does).

Nonetheless, it doesn't matter what Valve is doing with the information they gather... It can eventually be used nefariously, assuming it contains any 'real' info : ) And the option to Opt out is always there, though sometimes in the form of 'use this service or opt out (don't use it)'...

-Alamar

News Comments > Gratuitous Tank Battles Announced
1. Re: Gratuitous Tank Battles Announced Jul 12, 2011, 13:54 Alamar

Gratuitous Tank Battles

That made me chuckle...

Best of luck man, and I hope it works out well for you : )

-Alamar

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: etc. Jul 12, 2011, 13:14 Alamar

JoeNapalm wrote on Jul 12, 2011, 12:12:
Yeah - shocking.

The TODAY show is on, what...7am to 11am?

I seriously doubt "Men in their Thirties" are the target demographic.

No, but 'Women in their Thirties' likely are, and that's who nags at said men : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 12, 2011, 11:00 Alamar

nin wrote on Jul 12, 2011, 10:22:
'Predator catcher' Hansen gets taste of own medicine.

Kinda semi-NSFW there, with the guy and the banana. Glad no one was around when I opened that.

This actually made me want to see what it was... I don't see the irony though... Isn't To catch a predator about youths? This guy is 51, shacking up with a 30 year old... Again, where's the issue?

Note, I don't care if he's married... Or that his date is significantly younger, 30 is long ago able to make adult decisions : )

-Alamar

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Jul 12, 2011, 10:55 Alamar

nin wrote on Jul 12, 2011, 10:20:
The Relationship Experts of the Today Show Don't Think Men in Their 30s Should Play Video Games.

Read that last night. What a bunch of self righteous assholes.

This is part of what's wrong with media... Both because, it's a snap-decision response, and further because there's no thought/discussion...

But also because it's a useless comment that people will take to heart either because they agree, and want that opinion to be validated by 'the experts', or make a big deal against (like the article), because it's a chance for THEM to get some popularity responding to such stupidity.

For me, I don't care what your hobbies are, (as long as they're not hurting others), have fun... THAT is what matters (to me) ; )

-Alamar

News Comments > etc., etc.
12. Re: Play Xbox360 Games on PC - Windows 8. Jul 12, 2011, 10:01 Alamar

jdreyer wrote on Jul 11, 2011, 23:37:
Here's the terrifying potential of this: Developers will no longer bother to make PC games, only XBOX console games and just assume if people want to play them, they will play the XBox version on their PC.

That really is a scary thought, but I think it's unlikely... At least in regards to the blanket 'developers will no longer...'. Some won't, as they're already doing now, with a much touted (here) half-assed attempt at a console to PC port (that will no longer be required, thereby saving those companies a good deal of change).

Lots of interesting thoughts in this thread.

As for the nay sayers... I don't know if it's the MS hate, or just realizing that this potentiality is years off... But consider that, we're at a time where the new brand of 'next gen' consoles are just about due...

What use is a 360 when the '720' is out? Surely, the '720' will play 360 games, but how much are MS/Sony making on the original XBox, or PS1/2 RIGHT NOW?

Doesn't it seem lucrative, that Windows 8 would include support for aging hardware... The rumor isn't about Windows 8 supporting the CURRENT (as in, when W8 is current) console hardware... That would be silly... But to get more re-use out of old content, that's always a great idea (GoG, even some steam games that don't run on Win7).

Also consider that the 360 is built much more like a PC than any other console... So the company that designed both the hardware, the OS, and Windows, might just find an efficient way for it to work on Win8 without 'emulation' per se...

-Alamar

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Demo Planned
30. Re: Mass Effect 3 Demo Planned Jul 11, 2011, 16:26 Alamar

Acleacius wrote on Jul 11, 2011, 14:57:
Demo won't sway me, I never buy ea games on release. ME I waited a year to play, ME2 6 months.

It was ea that forced Bioware to rush out da2, the most recent example of their sociopathic publishing.

On the first, I can relate, if not for different reasons... And I have yet to try ME2...

As for the usual excuse that some 'big bad publisher' is at fault for a VERY EXPERIENCED developer putting out garbage... Call it where it's due... If Bioware hasn't learned to make good games, with the timing they signed off on, that's no one elses fault : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Dungeon Siege III Patched
6. Re: Dungeon Siege III Patched Jul 9, 2011, 22:39 Alamar

ColoradoHoudini wrote on Jul 9, 2011, 18:38:
Why couldn't they have just made a bigger world, add a few more playable characters, and have proper multiplayer support? I know that's all I needed to buy this game.. instead they had fucking abysmal controls (btw, is it just me or does everyone have to hit E when they walk over an item (not money) that they want to pick up? I want to pick up EVERYTHING.. all the time.. did i overlook that config setup?

Also.. is it just me or does the game not tell you if an item is useable by your current character? I picked the .. err.. non sword dude? and i would grab staves and maces and all i could with them was transmute them.. never equip.. ever. But i was never told i couldn't equip the items.. they just werent options in my Equip screen.

Someone tell me i fucked all that up..and not the devs

A bigger game, and proper MP I agree with.. .I didn't try coop, but I believe your partner just controls your current 'second'... Handy to jump in/out, but lots of drawbacks as well... especially for those of us used to getting the phatty lewts ; )

All items have a user icon, so if it's showing someone's face, you can use it (on that character)...

Also... About 80% of the random stuff you grab is for your primary character... So playing through on other chars should give you a bunch of crap for that one as well... 80 may be high, but it was definitely noticeable for me.

-Alamar

News Comments > Modern Warfare 3 & Color Blindness
7. Re: Modern Warfare 3 & Color Blindness Jul 8, 2011, 13:21 Alamar

nin wrote on Jul 8, 2011, 11:48:
I wish every game included subtitles for when characters speak. Every once in awhile I still come across one that doesn't support it, and it's handy when everything is exploding and you missed that one critical piece of dialogue.

Expand that to include subtitles I can go back to afterwords and read and I'm all for it : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Dishonored Revealed
13. Re: Dishonored Revealed Jul 7, 2011, 16:07 Alamar

reisub wrote on Jul 7, 2011, 15:52:
SectorEffector wrote on Jul 7, 2011, 15:19:
Best first person melee and sword / staff / blade combat system. TO DATE.
How's it compare to Mount&Blade? That seems pretty good.

Seriously... to both...

I barely played either, but don't remember it being good in Messiah (may try it again though... not surprisingly, I'm a M&M fan, though not HOMM so much). And I thought M&B's combat was horribly wonky...

-Alamar

News Comments > Torchlight Sells a Million
22. Re: Torchlight Sell a Million Jul 7, 2011, 14:03 Alamar

Dev wrote on Jul 7, 2011, 12:55:
nin wrote on Jul 7, 2011, 12:24:
Guess that should be a hint that Steam isn't the magical sales powerhouse that people seem to think it is (for no fucking reason at all). "Oh, game X is in the top 10 on Steam charts! It must be selling very well!"

You mean considering it was on sale for $3 the other day on Steam, and then they announce today it hit a million?

A million is still pretty good for an indie title.

That it is... But when I saw the headline, the first thing, that (sadly) popped into my head was... Didn't Minecraft just announce 10 mil signups?

-Alamar

News Comments > Dishonored Revealed
1. Re: Dishonored Revealed Jul 7, 2011, 13:16 Alamar

It's a game about morality and player choice where the world you create is based on your actions, not navigating conversation trees.

In other words, it's based on who you end up killing, instead of what you say to them before you kill them : )

-Alamar

News Comments > 2011 Games Industry to Top $74B
26. Re: 2011 Games Industry to Top $74B Jul 6, 2011, 15:26 Alamar

Kawlisse wrote on Jul 6, 2011, 13:15:
Beamer wrote on Jul 6, 2011, 12:46:
This isn't an attempt to be greedy, it's simple economics. Pre-release demos would add months to development time.

Now with big budget games, don't tell me they cant create a shareware version its just because they don't want to, and this is the problem I have with them. Anyways were a little off subjet

Neat how they're saying the same thing...

-Alamar

News Comments > 2011 Games Industry to Top $74B
25. Re: 2011 Games Industry to Top $74B Jul 6, 2011, 15:24 Alamar

kanniballl wrote on Jul 6, 2011, 13:08:
Only slightly off-topic

I'd love to see more 2D games: side scrollers and such, with some modern graphics/resolution.

I know there's the occasional one, but I have to think that there's still a casual gamer demand for these things.

Heck I was thinking about picking up the Nintendo DS "Green Lantern" game because the commercial made it look like an interesting 2D game.

Nice timing on this... I just (finally) picked up Trine (having never actually looked at it, even with all the hype)... And it's a great example of a 2D game with 'updated visuals'...

I want a Castlevania style game like this myself... And if I had some artists... oooooh that would be some good stuff...

-Alamar

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Leak Lawsuit
26. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Leak Lawsuit Jul 6, 2011, 15:16 Alamar

Verno wrote on Jul 6, 2011, 15:10:
In this scenario you're not going to find any support around here Beamer, the leak did more good than harm which is further backed up by SE effectively embracing it as a lucky win. Word on the leak is overwhelmingly positive. The leak isn't a complete build of the game or anything either, far from it. I bet their preorder rate shot through the roof.

That being said, it doesn't mean the people responsible shouldn't be punished though, what they did was criminal and if the game had been bad it surely would have been financially damaging.

The forums on this site are not indicative of the gaming population as a whole...

In other words, I'm sure plenty of people will NOT buy the game based on playing the leaked version...

As for the previous comment... Plenty of pirates pay $50 for the 'real deal' when it hits shelves, and this isn't quite the same as your comment, since the 'leak' doesn't include the full game... I assume, based on the whole 'introductory level(s)' comments.

I haven't tried it myself... I liked Deus Ex somewhat, but felt it didn't live up to the hype, so I have no expectations either way for this one... If there's a demo, or even a 'demo', I may try it, but I may not...

-Alamar

Edit: no->not And by 'previous' post, I meant previous to the one I quoted ; )

News Comments > Out of the Blue
22. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 6, 2011, 08:52 Alamar

So upon loading bluewsnews.com today, I am auto forwarded to zwsaonline.com for a bullshit scan...

May want to look into your ads again Blue : )

-Alamar

1764 Comments. 89 pages. Viewing page 58.
< Newer [ 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo