Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Alamar

Real Name Alamar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 26, 2005, 15:11
Total Comments 1829 (Pro)
User ID 22996

User comment history
< Newer [ 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 ] Older >

News Comments > GameStop Discarding Deus Ex: Human Revolution OnLive Coupons
2. Re: GameStop Discarding Deus Ex: Human Revolution OnLive Coupons Aug 24, 2011, 14:08 Alamar

If they weren't already a cesspool, they would stop selling the game, instead of selling a modified copy (that they shouldn't have any right to modify).

-Alamar

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam From Dust Refunds
32. Re: Steam From Dust Refunds Aug 24, 2011, 14:06 Alamar

Verno wrote on Aug 24, 2011, 13:58:
people who might be casual pirates

This kind of thinking is largely a fallacy these days though. Most piracy is casual in nature these days. We're not in the days of people burning disks for friends anymore, the public at large is a lot more tech savvy than given credit for and I doubt most people even use the dvd drives in their computers anymore.

A more simple consideration is does the bad PR from DRM outweigh other considerations? Ubisoft obviously seems to think so but I doubt their reasoning is rooted in any logical rationale. There are more sane approaches to DRM that other companies employ successfully without impacting consumer experiences to this degree.

Interesting tidbit inc... A pirated copy of From Dust is available, but not one for Deus Ex : )

I imagine there are many factors at play, but it is interesting from a quick-look point of view.

-Alamar

News Comments > Diablo III Community Website & Beard Challenge
4. Re: Diablo III Community Website & Beard Challenge Aug 24, 2011, 13:58 Alamar

I wonder what other lack-of-personal-hygiene 'contests' Blizzard has with it's developers to increase productivity : )

Edit: Awesome pick beard btw ; )

-Alamar

27. Re: Steam From Dust Refunds Aug 24, 2011, 13:33 Alamar

Krovven wrote on Aug 24, 2011, 13:19:
It's just fucking wrong that From Dust appears to be outselling Bastion on Steam.

Bastion = great game with no DRM issues.

From Dust = Good game, with DRM and control issues.

I have been trying hard to spread the word... And it even comes with a (reasonably sized) demo... But everyone is too busy playing Deus...

-Alamar

24. Re: Steam From Dust Refunds Aug 24, 2011, 13:18 Alamar

Beelzebud wrote on Aug 24, 2011, 12:54:
As far as I know there has never been an "unbreakable" DRM scheme. MMO's don't count because you need a subscription to play, but as far as copy protection an "unbreakable" scheme simply doesn't exist.

In fact, outside of MMO's I don't think there was been one game that hasn't been cracked. It's a losing battle, and punishing your customers is just stupid.

Was Guild Wars ever cracked? It's not an MMO : )

Annnnnd... WoW was, which is an MMO... kind of a big one, last I heard...

If a game requires an online component (not just a check), it's definitely much harder to crack, but as we've seen with battle.net, WoW, etc emulators, there are some very determined people.

Diablo 3, as a good future example, will likely be cracked... The game will require a connection any time a character load/save is initiated, but all that is, is a network connection to a server storing that info... Likely there will be a component included with the pirated version that you can run to simulate this (and the crack would include redirecting that connection to localhost/127.0.0.1).

In the end, it comes down to cost/benefit, as everything does, including deciding to add DRM to your title.

Back on topic (how'd I get there?), Ubi's perception is they get more benefit than the cost expended, so it's a win for them... Time and again, the world has proven that reality is not as important as perception : )

-Alamar

4. Re: Steam From Dust Refunds Aug 24, 2011, 11:22 Alamar

'DRM', or any kind of copy protection stops (some) piracy...

That's the distinction that consumers, or Bluesnewsians don't seem to get... DRM works... CD checks worked... Windows Activation works...

That in no way, (and believe me, Ubi, MS, whoever, know that it) ends piracy, but they do know that it cuts it down. Let's take Windows Activation - It came out to stop 'casual copying', not piracy... Piracy is a big business (even hinted at organized crime levels), so it's not going to get stopped by some fancy schmancy DRM 'phone home' scheme, because all that information is part of the package installed on user's PCs...

In short, in a simplified example, something a previous co-worker of mine put very succinctly:
bool bIsProtected = WorldsBestPiracyValidationFunction();
// return bIsProtected;
return TRUE;

That's all (again, simplified), crackers need to do, and it doesn't matter how fancy the scheme is...

Anyhow, I was going to get even more off topic, but I'll stop here...

On topic; Yay Ubi for issuing refunds : ) Boo Ubi for requiring it; bad dog.

-Alamar

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Retail Includes OnLive
60. Re: Ships Ahoy - Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 23, 2011, 21:27 Alamar

jimnms wrote on Aug 23, 2011, 18:07:
It has health regen. They try to play it off as an augmentation, but I don't buy it. The original DE had a health regen augmentation you could get and install later, but it consumed bio-electric energy to restore health. If this game takes place before the original DE, why does it have a more advanced health augmentation?

If prequels had to make sense, there wouldn't be any : )

Plus, anachronism...

-Alamar

News Comments > Warhammer 40:000 Space Marine Demo
7. Re: Warhammer 40:000 Space Marine Demo Aug 23, 2011, 21:18 Alamar

Took me a bit to adjust... I noticed a melee weapon, so I charged into my death a few times... Got the hang of it, and it was much better, though maybe a bit less fun : )

And that jump pack demo, while short-lived, was a hell of a LOT of fun...

Edit: Meant to mention... Talk about stupid resolution controls... You have to set your ratio and then you can choose your resolution... Was about to pop out a calculator to find 1920x1200 (8:5), but the initial options are just odd... something by 768 didn't have a very low common denominator...

-Alamar

News Comments > Dungeon Defenders in October
3. Re: Dungeon Defenders in October Aug 23, 2011, 19:22 Alamar

spindoctor wrote on Aug 23, 2011, 18:15:
They're a year late with this release. Personally, I was interested in this game when I heard about it a year ago but not anymore. Also, its another game releasing mid October... Are all these developers oblivious to the kind of competition they're going up against or something?

I am... what else is coming out mid October?

As for this game, it's a day one buy for me, as the main developer is very helpful (most of the time) in the UDK community.

We also have two copies on the iPod, but don't much like the touch controls.

-Alamar

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Retail Includes OnLive
29. Re: Ships Ahoy - Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 23, 2011, 15:20 Alamar

Dirwulf wrote on Aug 23, 2011, 15:11:
Voice acting is great. Controls are great. You can tell its going to have good replayability. I'll take this as GOTY over Witcher 2, but Batman hasn't come out yet :).

Irregardless, it's only late august, so the game of the year (of 2011) hasn't come out yet... People have short memories, so GOTY's are just about always released in Nov/Dec...

Minus the fact that any game that sells more than 14 copies gets branded as a GOTY by some publication/site so they can put the sticker on the box/marketing... : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 23, 2011, 12:50 Alamar

I missed the whole Wikileaks thing... Anyone want to sum it up in 3 or so sentences? : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Guild Wars 2 mobile app in the works Aug 23, 2011, 12:48 Alamar

Hmm... I wonder if I could also make a living by reposting news from a year ago with no updates whatsover (and in fact, a lot less information than the originals)...

-Alamar

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Reviews
51. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Reviews Aug 22, 2011, 20:18 Alamar

vrok wrote on Aug 22, 2011, 19:49:
StingingVelvet wrote on Aug 22, 2011, 19:42:
vrok wrote on Aug 22, 2011, 19:36:
Did you believe all the reviews for MW2 as well? Waiting for more accurate player reviews, a sale, a patch or whatever, when you're not entirely convinced the game is actually that good, isn't being crazy or cheap. It's called being rational.

The CoD games are extremely good at what they do, you and I just don't like what they do. Also, if you actually read reviews you can judge what they are praising and why, the scores matter little. What is being praised about this game makes it a sure winner for me. What is being bashed is of little consequence to me. It's called reading comprehension!
Except reviews constantly neglect to mention negative points. If it's because they didn't notice them, didn't care about them or chose to ignore them doesn't matter much. There are only two reviews above that are even vaguely accurate in my opinion. And I'm not talking about the score either.

Either way, my point was that knocking rational behavior is dumb.

This is an interesting truth (to me)... When I look at just about any product that has a list of 5 star/whatever ratings, I'll ignore all the 5s and 0's... People that think a product is either perfect, or worthless suffer from the same near-sightedness...

So generally, I look for negative reviews to see what the 'cons' are in a game to see whether they're going to be a deal breaker... Plus, for me, I like to know the UI so I can get a feel for what they've done (with controls, advancement, general information, etc)...

-Alamar

News Comments > Steam Top 10
42. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 22, 2011, 20:01 Alamar

Krovven wrote on Aug 22, 2011, 17:39:
Aye, the Reflections were the main reason I reverted back to using fewer number of idols. That and I just wanted to go through the game. I'll try the New Game Plus with more idols later. Think I only have 6 unlocked at this point, and I think 2 are still un-purchased in the Lost & Found.

Out of curiosity, the War Machete challenge...has anyone been able to clear out the Squirts in the amount of time they require? It's the only challenge I've had issues with. The Squirts seem to avoid my War Machete throws, and of course they disperse and run away when you try and melee them.

Best I seem to be able to do is around the 2min mark, and 2nd place requires 90 seconds or less I think.

The trick for this one, for me, was running right in and standing where they spawn, mashing away, until they stop... then clear up the room... But ya, throwing at the squirts was a pain... evading into them and slashing works too, when they're not off the edge so far...

Even so, I had to retry a few times...Also be sure to upgrade that weapon the right way JUST for the challenge... same with all the ones people get stuck on (for me, it was the flame one). The mortar one later on, I got first place on the first try though : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Dungeons & Dragons Daggerdale Developer Closed?
9. Re: Dungeons & Dragons Daggerdale Developer Closed? Aug 22, 2011, 16:44 Alamar

nin wrote on Aug 22, 2011, 16:16:
This is why WotC should have final approval on releases. This sort of garbage only does them harm. Anyway Atari is just about done - thankfully - seeing as the license has now gone back to Hasbro. I hope they're a little more selective in future.

Isn't WotC the ones that totally fucked up the rule sets?

That's one of those things where it depends on what age the person is you ask : ) Much like music genre's, gaming (as can be seen here about all the fogey's bitching about how they want old crappy games back : ), etc...

I 'grew up' with 2nd, but I thought 3rd added some good aspects... Either way, I've always though D&D games didn't translate well for PC, which is ironic, being a roll playing game...

-Alamar

News Comments > Serious Sam: Double D Next Week; New Trailer
1. Re: Serious Sam: Double D Next Week; New Trailer Aug 22, 2011, 16:40 Alamar

What in the hell...

Silly video... game looks like it could be alright... May work up the energy to look for a demo...

-Alamar

37. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 22, 2011, 16:35 Alamar

I finished somewhere in the 9h mark, was running all the shrine idols I had (4) for a bit, but one of the 'flashbacks' made me turn em off, then I forgot to put em back on...

On the 'New Game Plus', I have all 10 on, and ya, it's noticeably harder, even with all buffed up stuff you start with... 10 on gives you 75% bonus, but that's not a good enough reason... You need to love the challenge (and likely the restarts)...

As for it being a port from 360... I had no idea... I don't mind console aspects to some games (Borderlands for example), but I controlled this all the way through with WASD + mouse, and it was great...

-Alamar

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Reviews
24. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Reviews Aug 22, 2011, 16:31 Alamar

Tick Tock Tick Tock... only 4 months and a few days until the Steam Holiday sale... : ) Perhaps it was the over-hyped-ness of the first, but I didn't enjoy it enough to want to rush out and get a new version, and I don't think I ever did play the second. Maybe if there's a demo soon I'll consider picking it up before the sale, but we'll see ; )

So while you're waiting (for midnight), get the tiny Bastion Demo from Steam (or wherever)...

-Alamar

30. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 22, 2011, 10:22 Alamar

coldcut wrote on Aug 22, 2011, 03:00:
Bastion should be far before From Dust. This little game is so amazing, I'm totally loving it, playing it through for the second time now. The voice acting of the narrator is just brilliant, and the story, albeit being kinda twisted, is very good.

Based on the weapons you choose and how you upgrade them (which all can be changed at all times), the game plays completely different. If you don't have Bastion yet, go and try it. It's kind of a steal too.

I second this...

I am having a LOT of fun with Bastion... I saw the game available (for free), decided to download the demo (from steam), and bought it minutes later (as opposed to free). I put in a 7h session that day, and hope to play again some more today/tomorrow...

So ya, don't take my word for it and buy it unseen, because it's one of those rarities that actually has a demo... Get to it : ) Oh and the demo is not 4.5GB : ) Hell, the game is like 900MB, and they actually put in the effort to not include the whole thing for the demo (weighing in at about 300).

-Alamar

News Comments > Cancelled "Oblivion-style" Might and Magic Game
17. Re: Cancelled Aug 20, 2011, 20:51 Alamar

Might & Magic, as an RPG... I'm sure I never heard of such a thing...

-Alamar

1829 Comments. 92 pages. Viewing page 58.
< Newer [ 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo