Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Alamar

Real Name Alamar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 26, 2005, 15:11
Total Comments 1780 (Pro)
User ID 22996

User comment history
< Newer [ 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 ] Older >

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Collector’s Edition Details
6. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Collector’s Edition Details Aug 5, 2011, 20:48 Alamar

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Aug 5, 2011, 20:40:
Anyone else remember when the 'artbooks, cloth maps, figurines, etc' came with a normal boxed game? Yeah...

cloth maps, and some etc, sure...

I don't think I've ever gotten an art book, or figurine in a non CE edition... Actually maybe a figurine once... And we're talking like 500 games since ~25 years ago...

I've also purchased less CE's than I have fingers on one hand (ignoring that whole boating accident thing)...

I support CE's however, for like $20 over the typical charge.. $150 just seems silly to me... But I don't begrudge those that are passionate enough about a game to get them : )

-Alamar

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > StarCraft II: Starter Edition Replaces Demo
10. Re: StarCraft II: Starter Edition Replaces Demo Aug 4, 2011, 09:24 Alamar

I like free... But I don't want to get interested in a $150-$180 game...

Which is of course all perception vs intention... I have happily paid for full price expansions for some items, like WoW, but perhaps a bad example... Diablo 2? And it's not an issue... but knowing right from the get go, that the story isn't complete without the next two boxes really drives me away.

And the D2 example is bad, because the story doesn't end either until you have the expansion. I believe Titan Quest was the same...

-Alamar

News Comments > Activision Financials, Diablo III Beta This Quarter
19. Re: Activision Financials, Diablo III Beta This Quarter Aug 4, 2011, 08:17 Alamar

ASeven wrote on Aug 4, 2011, 07:43:
The Half Elf wrote on Aug 4, 2011, 06:17:
Teddy wrote on Aug 4, 2011, 02:34:
Cutter wrote on Aug 3, 2011, 22:28:
WoW may live for another decade for sure, but as a niche product much like UO. If it's not hemmoraghing customers on a massive scale now it will be soon with SWTOR, GW2, Titan, etc. At this point there's little keeping anyone around WoW except for the social aspect of it, and for the serious raiders and pvpers - a minority.

They just announced another 300,000 accounts lost last quarter. That's 900,000 accounts in half a year. I think that qualifies as hemmorhraging at this point.

Ok so 11 million subscribers, minus 900k, is still a shitload of subscribers and money.

If it keeps bleeding subscribers at this rate then soon it won't be that many left, not to cover infrastructure and other costs.

Soon is such a fun word : )

But let's look at the math...

Assuming, for the hell of it, 10 million is what they have after losing 900k... That needs to drop another 9 mil or so before infrastructure costs are too much, and long since that point, they would have closed half their servers anyways...

Also, 600k in one quarter, 300k in the next... does that mean it'll be 150k next quarter, or 0? Assuming half and half again, that's only 225k lost over the next half year... Sure, it's all simplified for your amusement, but worrying (or hoping) Blizzard is hurting from all this is silly...

It's all moot anyways; we don't know their numbers... like how much it costs them to hire the forklift operators to move around their massive stacks of money and what not ; )

-Alamar

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Announced
53. Re: Borderlands 2 Announced Aug 3, 2011, 19:51 Alamar

Beamer wrote on Aug 3, 2011, 14:38:
Saying something doesn't exist when it does exist is pretty common. Often you just don't want to talk about something yet. You want to control the conversation some and you don't want to get accused of "hyping" too soon. Other times something exists but doesn't really exist - perhaps it's in such a raw state that it's little more than a concept, or perhaps the funding isn't really there and you can't say with any really conviction that it'll get released.
This is when you deny. Or "no comment." Or "of course we'd love to do XYZ, but for the time being we're not announcing anything."

Making a comment about shoddy journalism when that journalism is right, though, seems insane.

Some great points, but being right doesn't make shoddy journalism not shoddy : )

Also need to consider that a lot of these companies are public.. Until private/sensitive information that could change stock prices has been officially announced, employees are legally obliged to deny rumors...

As for the game, I am highly looking forward to it... I have enjoyed (and gotten more time out of) Borderlands more than any non-massive in the last 5-10 years...

-Alamar

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Announced
25. Re: Borderlands 2 Announced Aug 3, 2011, 13:39 Alamar

JayDeath wrote on Aug 3, 2011, 13:35:
Great I guess, but let's hope they fix the FOV this time around. Is there a way to fix it in Borderlands? I never looked into it.

I think one of the reasons Gearbox never bothered to allow it to be customized (or just assume an FOV based on a wide screen res) is because the fix has been so publicly prevalent... Just do a search for Borderlands FOV fix, or Config Editor... I'll do that now... http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=85874

Somewhere, on their same forums, and likely linked in that thread, is a long list of ini changes you can do manually as well... If you don't want to run a .NET app to do it for you...

-Alamar

News Comments > Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More
255. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 19:23 Alamar

Agent.X7 wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 19:01:
<Further self-righteous outrage>!

<Attempt at insulting people who disagree with my outrage by insinuating they are younger and therefore stupid with the words kid/son/boy>!

<Additional anecdotal evidence which I purport to represent all gamers, everywhere>!

Awesome...

If I were into those me me's, I would so plus 1 this or something...

-Alamar

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 PvP Details Next Month
6. Re: Guild Wars 2 PvP Details Next Month Jul 29, 2011, 21:06 Alamar

DaZ wrote on Jul 29, 2011, 14:07:
Of all the mmo's on the horizon, GW2 is really the only one that promises any innovation whatsoever.

As a 5 year wow vet (cancelled sub just before firelands), its depressing to see every new mmo copy wow so blatantly. GW2 is the only one that has genuinely intrigued me, so i'm looking forward to it with quiet optimism =)

Hmmm... GW2's dynamic events are just Warhammer's Public quests, that can... go backwards...

Where is the innovation?

-Alamar

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
5. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 28, 2011, 09:28 Alamar

Sepharo wrote on Jul 27, 2011, 23:06:
Heavy Rain, RDR, and LA Noire really have me ready to pick up a PS3. Why won't can't these damn games comes out on PC.

Edited the original slightly to 'fix' it... So that the question more accurately contains the answer : )

While it's arguable that 'companies don't make money on console hardware sales, 'forcing' you to buy a PS3 for a certain game(s) means you're likely to pick up more at some point... The power of exclusivity compels you...

-Nathan

News Comments > Quoteworthy - Epic on Unreal
14. Re: Quoteworthy - Epic on Unreal Jul 23, 2011, 08:23 Alamar

Cutter wrote on Jul 23, 2011, 06:59:
CTF in Unreal was too much fun.

I call, and raise Excessive...

UT Excessive CTF was the most fun I've ever had in a MP FPS...

-Alamar

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Jul 19, 2011, 10:48 Alamar

Overon wrote on Jul 19, 2011, 06:57:
Well more services is better for the consumer. This service could be good for people who hate steam and/or Valve. I don't know Dev if that instant playing stuff actually works on Steam, I have never tried it.

Steam has always had instant play...

The instant it's down downloading, re-downloading because something fucked up, then installing, it's ready to go... : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Faxion Online Team Layoffs
4. Re: Faxion Online Team Layoffs Jul 19, 2011, 09:44 Alamar

I'm a big fan of using the english language and its quirks to my benefit, and it's evil...

So ya, a 'fraction' of the staff... They're implying it's small, but 1/1, or even if you prefer 20/22, is a fraction : )

As for the game, I don't remember it, but it's f2p, so I likely would have ignored any other announcements regarding it... I love massives, and I'm not currently playing one, but I have no NEED to, so I'll wait for the ones I am interested in (mostly GW2).

-Alamar

News Comments > More on BF3 and Steam
92. Re: More on BF3 and Steam Jul 18, 2011, 15:40 Alamar

Creston wrote on Jul 18, 2011, 14:56:
necrosis wrote on Jul 18, 2011, 14:27:
(-) Mod compatibility not always ensured
Again. Issues with the GAME not the service.
(-) Delayed patches (sometimes massively)
Again. Issues with the GAME not the service.

Actually, those two ARE Steam's fault. Steam sometimes encrypts the .exe which is why most Mods that try to alter the exe (such as the script extenders for Oblivion/Fallout) don't work, and the delay of patches is 100% Steam's fault, because they get given the patch and then have to integrate it into their system.

It's a lot better nowadays, but a few years ago it'd take weeks for the patches to show up because Steam had exactly ONE guy who knew how to do it...

Creston

Interesting spin...

Mod support being broken by steam (or other 'retailers') is still the fault of the developer... Using your example, perhaps modding shouldn't require changes to the exe? : ) Now, if we're talking unsupported mods, I would blame the mod authors ; )

As for patches, I haven't seen any significant delays, but if the developer got the patch to steam earlier, so they could put it in their system, and on 'launch day' flip a switch, that makes sense to me : ) I will admit my ignorance (rare on this site hehe), and say that I don't know who is at fault NOW (2 years ago doesn't matter).

-Alamar

News Comments > More on BF3 and Steam
70. Re: More on BF3 and Steam Jul 18, 2011, 14:00 Alamar

Rattlehead wrote on Jul 18, 2011, 13:49:
"hey look at me, I'm older than you because I can name all the prehistoric ways we used to play our ancient games with"

"hey look at me, I'm younger than you because I bitch about people and their nostalgia"

I remember enjoying those days (OMG, I'm OLD, tell everyone...), but that's because I was very interested (obsessed) in PCs, games, etc... so I learned what I needed to know... but this shit is exactly why PC gaming wasn't 'mainstream' like it is today... Even with the advent of autoplay, and windows (95+), things have been going more 'casual', and it's better, since this kind of shit, that even I enjoyed, I don't want to deal with all the time...

-Alamar

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 18, 2011, 10:57 Alamar

Cutter wrote on Jul 18, 2011, 10:22:
As opposed to say playing sports which only reduces the obesity? And what about watching TV, films, or sitting around listening to music?

Or reading forums...

-Alamar

News Comments > No Skyrim Demo Planned
50. Re: No Skyrim Demo Planned Jul 15, 2011, 09:41 Alamar

Veinman wrote on Jul 14, 2011, 10:59:
Does anyone really not know what they are getting with an Elder Scrolls game? I don't see a demo really being necessary.

I haven't met anyone that likes both morrowind and oblivion... And I have met many that loved one and not the other...

So no, we don't know what 'we're' getting... Not me though, didn't like either : )

-Alamar

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: etc., etc. Jul 15, 2011, 09:37 Alamar

tron wrote on Jul 14, 2011, 21:11:
did you even read the article? it was all about not making preachy agenda-driven games.

I'm pretty sure you're both saying the same thing... But now we know who the zealot is... : )

'as they say'... I assumed he was referring to the article, and agreeing with dropping agenda...

-Alamar

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
4. Re: Study: why bother to remember when you can just use Google? Jul 15, 2011, 09:30 Alamar

Sepharo wrote on Jul 15, 2011, 00:41:

The memory aspect of it seems to be especially bad with code. 5 years of school and 3 years of work and I still routinely refer to documentation/articles and especially surrounding code for stuff I should know as well as I do the alphabet.

Embarrassingly I'd probably be pretty lost with no internet access and a clean harddrive.

only one, it's Libya

As you age, this only gets worse... Things to look forward to... dot com...

Somewhat related... I had a job interview ~7 years ago, where a portion was to make a class that used STL extensively... Well... I had 'dabbled' with STL in the past, but nowhere enough for this... And the coding test machine had no internet (which is good), but it did have a full MSDN library, which is why I was hired : )

In short, this is nothing new... People were saying the same thing 30 years ago about calculators (and other examples I won't bring up)... 'oh, we got lerned (sic) our 'times tables' in school, we didn't need to rely on technology'... 'Ya? What's 23.6 to the power of 4... How's them times tables stacking up biatch'... <- paraphrased for your amusement : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Videogame Physical Sales Down 10% in June
28. Re: Videogame Physical Sales Down 10% in June Jul 15, 2011, 09:18 Alamar

Dev wrote on Jul 15, 2011, 07:50:
Some indies DO make it to boxed editions. I consider Plants vs Zombies an indie title and they had a deluxe boxed version I picked up that had a zombie figurine in it.

Sure, it's a term that has more than one definition, but I don't consider a company that was just bought for ~1.3 billion the same thing as an 'indie'... Sure, they may not have a separate publisher, but really, it's not like the other titles mentioned in this thread (magicka, sanctum, terraria, etc...).

-Alamar

News Comments > Tribes: Ascend at QuakeCon
3. Re: Tribes: Ascend at QuakeCon Jul 13, 2011, 17:53 Alamar

OldScho0l wrote on Jul 13, 2011, 17:26:
I lost almost all hope in this when another user here mentioned that it's using an unreal engine. That alone is a nail in it's coffin imho.

You say some very odd things...

-Alamar

News Comments > On PlanetSide 2 Microtransactions
15. Re: On PlanetSide 2 Microtransactions Jul 13, 2011, 15:03 Alamar

John Lovitz wrote on Jul 13, 2011, 12:47:
If only World of Tanks was, oh i don't know, a MMOG. Why the hell do people keep saying it? Thats like waiting in the lobby of starcraft 2 and saying "look i'm playing a MMO".

<cough>Guild Wars<cough>

-Alamar

1780 Comments. 89 pages. Viewing page 58.
< Newer [ 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo