Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
West Point, NE 02/20

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Alamar

Real Name Alamar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 26, 2005, 15:11
Total Comments 1843 (Pro)
User ID 22996

User comment history
< Newer [ 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 ] Older >

News Comments > More Deus Ex: Human Revolution Code Clues
26. Re: More Deus Ex: Human Revolution Code Clues Aug 30, 2011, 14:37 Alamar

Acleacius wrote on Aug 30, 2011, 14:25:
Playing a stealth/hacker, haven't seen this asked and no explanation in the Tutorial either.

Noticed if you capture the Red Security node(s) directly, it instantly gives you access. It also looks like it gives you all Bonuses from the whole puzzle, including ones you have not unlocked yet. I'm honestly not sure if I'm imagining this, if it's true then it could really cut down on time, going strait for the Red Security nodes directly. Anyone else tested this yet?

Thanks.

Your theory is interesting... For me, I've also noticed capturing the red is good... But I keep capturing all the cubes, then the red, and sometimes nothing is added... sometimes 1 or all lines are doubled...

-Alamar

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Borderlands Adding Steam Cloud, Borderlands 2 Interviews
16. Re: Yawn... Aug 29, 2011, 20:44 Alamar

JohnBirshire wrote on Aug 29, 2011, 15:26:
I spent my entire time playing Borderlands killing the same 3 enemies over and over and over and over again. Will Borderlands 2 have...4 enemies?

And what's with this "Game of the Year" edition? Game of the year, according to whom?

So ignoring sub-types: 'bandits', skags, rakk, spiderants, scythid, the huge purple crawlers you shoot in the eye, armored humanoids, eridians... A few unique bosses... More added in some DLC's...

Counting sub-types, bandits have at least 5 that can act differently (I love when a psycho gets low on health)... Skags have a few, spiderants have some, scythed have a few, but don't count, because they all die from melee : ), eridians have a few (tiny headshots FTW).

And ya, I imagine BL2 will have more variation...

-Alamar

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution "Special Message" Tomorrow
62. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 28, 2011, 21:03 Alamar

djinn wrote on Aug 28, 2011, 20:55:
I'm impressed. The atmosphere, sound, gameplay etc was what I was hoping for. One of the minor gripes I had was the tight field of view, but thankfully they provided an option for that. Seems they really listened to the old school pc bitches like me.

Only one minor gripe and that's the colour palette. If this yellow tint is all the way through the game, they missed out big time in adding a unique feel to different parts of the levels. But yea, so far that's a minor issue.

I heard about, but didn't see the options for changing FOV...

As for the yellow... haven't noticed it...

-Alamar

46. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 28, 2011, 18:08 Alamar

Dirwulf wrote on Aug 28, 2011, 18:04:

Do you want to unlock the Lucky Guess Achievement?

SPOILER:

When you get to Jacob's bomb type in the code 0000 to disarm it. He's not very smart. Reminds me if the luggage combo in Space Balls. 1-2-3-4-5.

This is handy, so thank you, though I rarely go out of my way for achievements...

And generally, I hack everything... even if I have the code/password... Because I want the potential bonus xp/cash : )

-Alamar

43. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 28, 2011, 17:59 Alamar

jacobvandy wrote on Aug 28, 2011, 16:40:
As for the energy, I think they originally had it so it didn't recharge at all. Then they decided to allow the first one to recharge so you could still be able to do a takedown or use active powers even if you were out of candy bars. It just forces you to mix up your tactics and not rely on doing one thing so much, whether it's cloaking or takedowns, because too much of either of those would be really overpowered.

Good point.. meant to mention that I don't like the energy system... I put points in energy regen, but having purchased more slots, because I'm basically always on the first (or last if you prefer) 'battery'... I can't take out two in succession quickly, but generally have enough time to wait for recharge, like while I'm sliding the first body away.

In short, getting extra 'slots'/'batteries' seems extremely pointless, unless I want to stock up on energy items.

-Alamar

This comment was edited on Aug 28, 2011, 18:05.

40. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution "Special Message" Tomorrow Aug 28, 2011, 17:47 Alamar

I caved...

Bought it from GMG early yesterday, and then put 12h into it...

Going non-lethal, sneaky hacker... Have yet to kill anyone that isn't required, and sadly, can't take the 'bust through thin walls' upgrade for that reason (the one time I tried it, he script-killed a baddie : (

There is definitely some goodness to this game, but a good deal of disappointment too, mostly regarding how silly games in general are, even if they're getting better... Nothing (I believe) that hasn't been mentioned before... patrolling in a 'void', for example.. who cares where the guy that was 10ft from you went, I'll just walk my 3 steps back and forth...

-Alamar

News Comments > Razer Blade Gaming Laptop Announced
3. Re: Razer Blade Gaming Laptop Announced Aug 26, 2011, 13:48 Alamar

Yawn...

PC gaming's demise is unrelated to crap like this...

-Alamar

News Comments > Legend of Grimrock
10. Re: Legend of Grimrock Aug 26, 2011, 12:53 Alamar

reisub wrote on Aug 26, 2011, 12:36:
Why does something so simple give me a thrill? Looks great.

The nastalgia is strong in this one...

Makes me want to load up all 3 Eye's (of the beholder)... Knew the first (or maybe it was the second) early map by heart, I could jot it down on paper in a few seconds...

Also reminds me of my first 'software renderer', which I used to get an interview with Silicon Knights way way back... I adapted bresenham's line drawing algorithm to texture my walls... Of course, it still looked bad (I lack the artistic skills), but it rocked... : )

-Alamar

News Comments > First Skyrim DLCs Timed Xbox 360 Exclusives
20. Re: First Skyrim DLCs Timed Xbox 360 Exclusives Aug 26, 2011, 12:40 Alamar

Tumbler wrote on Aug 26, 2011, 11:10:
Sigh.

Would people stop spending money on DLC please? This is becoming extremely annoying to see companies hack up their game to try and sell bits and pieces to you after launch.

This is one way to look at it, and hard to argue against in the cases of pre-release-announced (and 0 day) DLC...

But DLC is just another word for 'expansion', except that it's smaller... Irregardless of that, when you played an awesome game 5, 10, 20 years ago, and just wanted MORE MORE MORE, wouldn't it have been cool if another official chapter/map/etc was made available for 'just a few bucks'...

In short, like anything, a blanket statement/judgement about DLC is far from adequate... Some companies do it well (Borderlands, for me), and others don't (Dragon age II and others' 0 day DLC)... Award one, and punish the other.

Also consider that 'DLC' is why we can even have free games (like one I hope to release 'soon' on iOS), where the player can choose to never pay, or buy some in-app goodies (aka microtransactions/DLC/etc). And I know you like free; But then, you can complain that you can't be competitive without paying, and I find that hard to have a problem with when it's free : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Torchlight 2 Classier, Not Pricier
11. Re: Torchlight 2 Final Class and Price Revealed Aug 26, 2011, 12:33 Alamar

LazyCat wrote on Aug 26, 2011, 11:32:
Seeing as how Diablo III is going downhill fast, Torchlight is becoming worth more then the paltry 20$ they are asking.
I will order a few on steam and gift em to friends.
Wonder if there are teeshirts and other methods of supporting the developers.
I just hope there is easier access to mods.

Interesting point (for me)... I have never before considered pre-ordering a 4 pack, but there it is... : )

One for me and the wife, and 2 others for... whoever... Likely a co-worker and a friend : )

-Alamar

News Comments > RAGE "Gearhead Vault" Trailer
19. Re: RAGE "Gearhead Vault" Trailer Aug 26, 2011, 10:59 Alamar

I am happy to be alive : )

I grew up with FPS graphics advancing, CGI advancing, etc... I remember when that pic people like to make fun of, of Unreal's awesome graphics, and yes, I remember them being awesome, even if I look with digust now...

But holy crap, other than the awkwardness of movement, real-time rendering is nearly there... I mean, sure, in 10 years, I may be saying the same thing with the next-next-next generation of quality, but even so, I'm happy to be alive : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Revelations Ultimate Bundle
10. Re: Assassin's Creed Revelations Ultimate Bundle Aug 26, 2011, 10:41 Alamar

Tanto Edge wrote on Aug 26, 2011, 04:41:
Ninety dollars? Who are they kidding? I will not pay a hundred fucking dollars (after taxes) for ANY game.

I remember the last time I paid over $100 for a game... It was just the other day, about 20 years ago... Games sure have gone up in price lately... : )

Phantasy Star III for Genesis btw... Interestingly, it was one of the few games with replayability back then, as it had 4 or so different endings.

-Alamar

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Revelations Ultimate Bundle
9. Re: Assassin's Creed Revelations Ultimate Bundle Aug 26, 2011, 10:36 Alamar

I have no interest in AC, but it's GameStop, so I'm gonna run out and buy it in a few minutes...

Wait... I think I may have that backwards...

-Alamar

This comment was edited on Aug 26, 2011, 10:41.

News Comments > TrackMania 2: Canyon PAX Trailer
4. Re: TrackMania 2: Canyon PAX Trailer Aug 25, 2011, 18:35 Alamar

Was never really into TrackMania, but that trailer was great...

I considered picking the one up on steam recently, but saw it was $30... Too much for something so old methinks...

As for this one, gonna go look at the site : )

-Alamar

News Comments > GameStop Discarding Deus Ex: Human Revolution OnLive Coupons
2. Re: GameStop Discarding Deus Ex: Human Revolution OnLive Coupons Aug 24, 2011, 14:08 Alamar

If they weren't already a cesspool, they would stop selling the game, instead of selling a modified copy (that they shouldn't have any right to modify).

-Alamar

News Comments > Steam From Dust Refunds
32. Re: Steam From Dust Refunds Aug 24, 2011, 14:06 Alamar

Verno wrote on Aug 24, 2011, 13:58:
people who might be casual pirates

This kind of thinking is largely a fallacy these days though. Most piracy is casual in nature these days. We're not in the days of people burning disks for friends anymore, the public at large is a lot more tech savvy than given credit for and I doubt most people even use the dvd drives in their computers anymore.

A more simple consideration is does the bad PR from DRM outweigh other considerations? Ubisoft obviously seems to think so but I doubt their reasoning is rooted in any logical rationale. There are more sane approaches to DRM that other companies employ successfully without impacting consumer experiences to this degree.

Interesting tidbit inc... A pirated copy of From Dust is available, but not one for Deus Ex : )

I imagine there are many factors at play, but it is interesting from a quick-look point of view.

-Alamar

News Comments > Diablo III Community Website & Beard Challenge
4. Re: Diablo III Community Website & Beard Challenge Aug 24, 2011, 13:58 Alamar

I wonder what other lack-of-personal-hygiene 'contests' Blizzard has with it's developers to increase productivity : )

Edit: Awesome pick beard btw ; )

-Alamar

27. Re: Steam From Dust Refunds Aug 24, 2011, 13:33 Alamar

Krovven wrote on Aug 24, 2011, 13:19:
It's just fucking wrong that From Dust appears to be outselling Bastion on Steam.

Bastion = great game with no DRM issues.

From Dust = Good game, with DRM and control issues.

I have been trying hard to spread the word... And it even comes with a (reasonably sized) demo... But everyone is too busy playing Deus...

-Alamar

24. Re: Steam From Dust Refunds Aug 24, 2011, 13:18 Alamar

Beelzebud wrote on Aug 24, 2011, 12:54:
As far as I know there has never been an "unbreakable" DRM scheme. MMO's don't count because you need a subscription to play, but as far as copy protection an "unbreakable" scheme simply doesn't exist.

In fact, outside of MMO's I don't think there was been one game that hasn't been cracked. It's a losing battle, and punishing your customers is just stupid.

Was Guild Wars ever cracked? It's not an MMO : )

Annnnnd... WoW was, which is an MMO... kind of a big one, last I heard...

If a game requires an online component (not just a check), it's definitely much harder to crack, but as we've seen with battle.net, WoW, etc emulators, there are some very determined people.

Diablo 3, as a good future example, will likely be cracked... The game will require a connection any time a character load/save is initiated, but all that is, is a network connection to a server storing that info... Likely there will be a component included with the pirated version that you can run to simulate this (and the crack would include redirecting that connection to localhost/127.0.0.1).

In the end, it comes down to cost/benefit, as everything does, including deciding to add DRM to your title.

Back on topic (how'd I get there?), Ubi's perception is they get more benefit than the cost expended, so it's a win for them... Time and again, the world has proven that reality is not as important as perception : )

-Alamar

4. Re: Steam From Dust Refunds Aug 24, 2011, 11:22 Alamar

'DRM', or any kind of copy protection stops (some) piracy...

That's the distinction that consumers, or Bluesnewsians don't seem to get... DRM works... CD checks worked... Windows Activation works...

That in no way, (and believe me, Ubi, MS, whoever, know that it) ends piracy, but they do know that it cuts it down. Let's take Windows Activation - It came out to stop 'casual copying', not piracy... Piracy is a big business (even hinted at organized crime levels), so it's not going to get stopped by some fancy schmancy DRM 'phone home' scheme, because all that information is part of the package installed on user's PCs...

In short, in a simplified example, something a previous co-worker of mine put very succinctly:
bool bIsProtected = WorldsBestPiracyValidationFunction();
// return bIsProtected;
return TRUE;

That's all (again, simplified), crackers need to do, and it doesn't matter how fancy the scheme is...

Anyhow, I was going to get even more off topic, but I'll stop here...

On topic; Yay Ubi for issuing refunds : ) Boo Ubi for requiring it; bad dog.

-Alamar

1843 Comments. 93 pages. Viewing page 58.
< Newer [ 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo