Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Alamar

Real Name Alamar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 26, 2005, 15:11
Total Comments 1696 (Pro)
User ID 22996

User comment history
< Newer [ 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 ] Older >

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Testing This Year
7. Re: Guild Wars 2 Testing This Year Feb 13, 2011, 17:34 Alamar

The beyond your standard MMO improvements take time. At least they are evolving the genre.

I'm really looking forward to GW2, and have read up just about everything there is to read, and watched the vids from germany (I think it was) last year...

But, could you please explain how they're evolving the genre? More so than any other 'WoW clone' (and I mean that one jokingly... : ).

-Alamar

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Crytek Responds to Crysis 2 Leak
148. Re: Crytek responds to Crysis 2 Leak Feb 13, 2011, 09:46 Alamar

I will support Crytek by NOT downloading this...

I will, however, not support them by buying it either : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Dungeon Siege III Trailer
3. Re: Dungeon Siege III Trailer Feb 9, 2011, 14:22 Alamar

Now that trailer looks much better...

And I don't understand the complaint about multi-char controlling... I personally hate it... And I an genuinely curious what it added to the game... You basically had a bunch of mules, instead of just one... and the minimal # of abilities, and spells available could easily be rolled into one char with less UI/Control issues...

-Alamar

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 8, 2011, 10:55 Alamar

That xbox vs 1k expenses article is great...

Peeps love to blame others, and this is no different... 18 month period... Heh

Personally, the wife and I had gotten points once (her card, for rock band songs) and we didn't realize the card info is automatically saved, so when our 2 year old, that knows how to change CDs, and mash buttons, signed up on one of their gold membership sales for 2 yrs, I got an email about it right away... Long story shorter... We called, got refunded and removed the CC info... I wouldn't call that a hassle for our mistake...

Incidentally, the same happened with Angry Birds on my iPod... I guess I let her play with it too soon after entering my password for app updates.

-Alamar

News Comments > Diablo III Art FB Blackmail
18. Re: Diablo III Art FB Blackmail Feb 8, 2011, 07:41 Alamar

/yawn...

I'm looking forward to D3... I enjoyed the others immensely... But holy hell, even if I were hyping like hell to get more info on this shit... I wouldn't 'like' it on FB... I'm on FB... I'm a gamer... I don't care that my future potential employers know I'm a gamer... But there's just no incentive here. New art and screenshots? I reiterate... /yawn...

Also makes me want to go 'like' the competition heh...

Anyhow, it'll get gobbled up, they'll have 3 million likes by the end of the week.. I may look at a new screenie... Or I may just wait for the game to not be years, or at least many many months away...

-Alamar

News Comments > Rift Open Beta Event Next Week
10. Re: Rift Open Beta Event Next Week Feb 7, 2011, 19:34 Alamar

I am really enjoying Rift. I've played in the last two betas, so yes, my excitement is partially based on seeing new stuff, and not getting enough access to it : )

I am a big fan of options, choices, and versatility, and that's one way this game excels. In some ways, it's also a downside, since so many people are stuck 'in their ways'.

But let me explain; The game has only 4 classes... OMG, only FOUR classes? heh

Once you've picked your class, you enter the game, and are introduced to 8 'souls', which is basically a skill/ability/talent tree, and putting points in these trees unlocks those abilities/modifications, as well as 'root' abilities earned for having set # of points in the tree. But wait, there's more... You can have 3 such souls at a time, which, unfortunately, adds a lot of complexity for new players, but also adds a LOT of choices for experienced players.

Also, as you level, or rather, when you get to the city and grab the appropriate quests, you unlock the other souls, which is useful for when you buy other 'roles' (dual spec, or rather, quad spec, since you can have 4). This allows you to have a PvE DPS Spec, a PvP Spec, and a tank or heal spec depending on your class, which moves on the next point...

Rogues (which includes stealth melee, bow/gun ranged, and the ever awesome saboteur) can also be a tank... Their tanking dynamic is very different than the others (mostly warriors, but also a cleric spec)... And, mages can spec for healing with one of their trees... And to just include the others, warriors can be a tank (shocker!) or melee dps... Clerics are the druids from wow, and include melee dps, ranged dps, tanking and healing.

Anyhow, that's the technical shit, which I personally enjoy... Beyond that, it has a new storyline, some say original, others not... Who cares, try it out and see what you like or don't...

In the end, it's a massive, so it has all the things in the genre.

Anyhow, that was long enough... Now that it's an open beta, try it out, see what you think... And pick up ranger if you're a rogue, or elementalist if you're a mage... Both have a tanker pet at 0 pts, and will really help make life reasonable : )

-Skane

Edit: Meant to add, rift.zam.com has a nice 'soul builder' if you want to check the skills out... And yes, some abilities overlap, and you won't use EVERYTHING, especially root abilities, in your 'rotation', but those that think about it, can figure out why that is : )

This comment was edited on Feb 7, 2011, 19:41.

News Comments > DC Universe Online Price Break
8. Re: DC Universe Online Price Break Feb 6, 2011, 14:22 Alamar

I bought this a few weeks back, and have enjoyed some time playing it...

I, however, seem to have different conclusions about the combat. I feel it's clunky, slow, and just not that fun. I am using the 2h weapon, so I would guess that's part of it. It does feel badly designed as I can either overpower entire groups easily, or die very quickly. All of the story (instances) missions have given me achieves for not dying, using consumables, etc...

So in short, it's not challenging, or I can two-shot.

- Alamar

News Comments > Op Ed
15. Re: Op Ed Feb 1, 2011, 12:15 Alamar

This new emphasis on length over quality smacks of middle school essay requirements, where your word count was more crucial than your writing ability.

New? Really? Is this guy like 12, and has just been introduced to the world of gaming? It's like hearing all the people talking about Rift 'is a clone of WoW'... Because, as we all know, WoW is the only/first/etc massive... Anyhow, enough of that...

Interestingly, at least for me, in 'middle school', there was not ONE single english class essay, where I met the 'minimum' word count, and yet, I just about always got an A. The teacher knew quality > quantity, but they needed to encourage people to not spit out a few lines of drivel : ) Much like my post... heh

-Alamar

News Comments > Magicka Free DLC, Trailer
7. Re: Magicka Free DLC, Trailer Jan 27, 2011, 19:51 Alamar

The wife and I were having a lot of fun playing this together... Had an issue or two, but not as many as the horror stories I've read about.

And as for the DLC, I have no idea what changes for the hat/sword/staff, but we have access to Meteor Shower, and it's crazy... And likely to kill you... Don't know if you can use it without having access, but it's Fire/Earth/Steam/Earth/Fire (steam being fire/water in this case).. So yes, a 6 (7 if you count space) button combo... to likely kill you heh... Though it worked well on the snake that's a pain to hit half the time, and I use it as a weapon enchant all the time, which looks cool AND kicks ass ; )

As for the game, I guess I'm in between the extremes... It's hard to recommend because it has issues, and it's a fun game, but it's not the amazingly awesome masterpiece that others make it out to be... But neither was minecraft, so I guess 'new' gamers are just more impressed by 'old' things... ; )

However, we bought it, we support it... and we want Magicka 2 to be better : ) Maybe something to make replayability a bit more interesting.. independent magic levels or what not would help...

-Alamar

News Comments > Evening Previews
5. Re: Evening Previews Jan 25, 2011, 10:07 Alamar

Alright... Played some Magicka... Definitely worth checking out the demo... A lot of people will LOVE it... and many will hate it..

I think it's worth the $10, though I'm hoping to find a way past some of the flaws (and bugs) before I drop $20 (wife wants to play coop too)...

Pros include: Cute, 'original', varied, etc... humorous, if you like that kind of humor, storyline...

Cons include: A few bugs, like the snake boss knocking me off the screen (having to start the entire chapter over, and I have no idea how big they are yet), lack of much advancement (you get weapons, and new spells as you go, but the spells can be cast without discovering them, so later playthroughs, you'd just use all the best spells), no mana/resource system, so again, you can pull out the big guns from the get go (I like lightning, arcane, fire for AOE and as a beam, and I also love the shield, earth, fire combo)...

And while the cons are bigger/longer than the pros, I still suggest you all try it out... And realize that you will die.. often... getting used to the controls takes a bit...

-Alamar

News Comments > Evening Previews
4. Re: Evening Previews Jan 25, 2011, 08:31 Alamar

Magicka, on steam (launched today), has a demo, and it's $10 otherwise... Almost bought it without trying the demo, but am about to do that instead...

-Alamar

News Comments > DC Universe Online SOE's "Fastest Selling Game Ever"
36. Re: DC Universe Online SOE's Jan 25, 2011, 08:21 Alamar

I'm really curious what people mean when they say 'lacks depth'... And what games don't lack depth?

Yeah hang on I'll read your mind and determine your individual taste to predict what game would suit you. Some people play MMOs for years, some people play Tetris on and off their whole lives. I am not summing up the experience sheerly by volume of gameplay, I was just saying I don't see enough to hold people over for those kinds of time committments.

So you won't read his mind, because he's an individual, but you'll read the minds of 'the people'?

-Alamar

News Comments > Magicka This Month
8. Re: Magicka This Month Jan 23, 2011, 07:09 Alamar

Don't recall ever hearing anything about this, but that trailer was pretty cool...

Will see in a few days what Steam says the price is... For $10, it's an instant buy... For more, well, I'd like to play a demo... maybe $5 for 5 hours? hehe

-Alamar

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Guardian Revealed
10. Re: Guild Wars 2 Guardian Revealed Jan 23, 2011, 01:30 Alamar

Looking forward to the official page on the matter...

Nonetheless... GW2 is pretty far off, and while I'm looking forward to it, I'm not obsessing... Yay me ; )

On a slightly related, maybe, note, If you haven't tried Rift yet, and still need a key... Try http://www.curse.com/keys/ to get a key... Need a curse acct, but since, if you want to try Rift, you likely already have one for WoW/WAR addons, that shouldn't be an issue... And a Trion acct for the game (shocker)...

Anyhow... Cya in game on Tuesday : )

Looking to try a mage myself... Warlock primarily, Chloromancer to try out the healing mage... : )

oh and rift.zam.com has a 'soul builder' for those that like to see the 'talent tree's beforehand... Just be warned... There's a lot of variety up in there.

-Alamar

News Comments > Independent Games Festival Finalists
6. Re: Independent Games Festival Finalists Jan 3, 2011, 13:53 Alamar

It's amazing, and depressing, how far games entered into the IGF have come.

I remember when these teams would put out low quality games, even past the ages of 'garage games'...

-Alamar

News Comments > Din's Curse: Demon War Preorders, Beta
6. Re: Din's Curse: Demon War Preorders, Beta Dec 31, 2010, 10:33 Alamar

Definitely getting this. Din's Curse is a brilliant game, and the new features in Demon War sound awesome.

As much as I would like to claim otherwise, gameplay is not more important than graphics, to me. Though for me, I'm more about UI than pixels, render settings, etc...

Anyhow, the point is... I tried this game, but couldn't do it, because of how bad I thought it looked/felt/played/something-I-can't-remember.

-Alamar

News Comments > On Sale
17. Re: On Sale Dec 31, 2010, 10:26 Alamar

$2.50 for Shatter is a no brainer.

I agree wholeheartedly... I really enjoyed this one when I got it in one of the indie packs with the last sales event.

But again, if fast, flashy graphics annoy you, stay away : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Dungeons & Dragons Daggerdale Announced
6. Re: Dungeons & Dragons Daggerdale Announced Dec 24, 2010, 17:12 Alamar

I was going to same the same about forgotten realms... Stick to what's tried and... moldy...

Yawn at D&D. You against the evil wizard/dragon... fucking please....

Why is this a D&D comment and not almost every fantasy game ever made?

-Alamar

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Dec 14, 2010, 00:28 Alamar

If you like break out, brick breaking, arkanoid, etc, style games, get Shatter... I got it in the indie pack for the recent sale, and love it...

However, if flashy effects annoy you, it's not so good : )

-Alamar

News Comments > World of Warcraft Hotfix
12. Re: World of Warcraft Hotfix Dec 8, 2010, 18:56 Alamar

But honestly, most of the good content is in the WoTLK and Cataclysm expansion. (Except for the Goblins; they suck.)

Well that explains all his earlier anger... He's an alliance baby!

I am so kidding ; )

For the gamer!

Also, Eldaron, if that is your real, not real name... Wait until wow.com, or battle.net has the cata trial (for LK accts)... Then you pay nothing whatsoever for the week you get to try it all...

-Alamar

1696 Comments. 85 pages. Viewing page 58.
< Newer [ 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo