Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Alamar

Real Name Alamar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 26, 2005, 15:11
Total Comments 1792 (Pro)
User ID 22996

User comment history
< Newer [ 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 ] Older >

News Comments > Runic on Diablo III vs. Torchlight 2 RMTs and DRM
37. Re: Runic on Diablo III vs. Torchlight 2 RMTs and DRM Aug 11, 2011, 11:48 Alamar

FloorPie wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 01:53:
I have no idea how one can consider D1/D2 anything near a MMO. D3 with the auctions for cash etc, sure but even then its certainly not "massive". How many players in one "game instance"? 4? D2 was what, 6-8 people in one game/server?

Guild Wars was considered by many fan(atics) for years to be a massive... and All it differed from D2 in that regard, was a graphical meeting place...

-Alamar

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > F.E.A.R. 3 Motion Capture Trailer
9. Re: F.E.A.R. 3 Motion Capture Trailer Aug 10, 2011, 17:02 Alamar

Both this and DNF were high on the meh scale... I have tried each a bit, but not sure I will ever pick them up, even a sub $20 (10?)...

I did enjoy 1 & 2 and whichever expansions I have... So likely for story, I'll eventually take the plunge...

-Alamar

News Comments > Might & Magic Heroes VI Gamescom Teaser Trailer
6. Re: Might & Magic Heroes VI Gamescom Teaser Trailer Aug 10, 2011, 16:57 Alamar

I hate teaser trailers... Just a great example of what I don't enjoy about the entertainment industries...

At first I thought it was a blueper (am I coining that or has it been done before? Instead of blooper), but I guess the franchise hasna slightly modified name? HOMM has worked, but will MMH's?

-Alamar

News Comments > Space Marine Co-op Coming Post-Release
13. Re: Space Marine Co-op Coming Post-Release Aug 10, 2011, 15:47 Alamar

Cutter wrote on Aug 9, 2011, 23:09:
It's not forgivable. It's like Ford telling you can't sell your car when you want a new one.

This is a karmic response based on the other thread...

But anyhow... It's more akin to Ford not giving second hand owners an after-market part, like let's say, a car-bra or a hood-sticker when said vehicle is not purchased in a Ford dealership...

Either way, two bad analogies make a right... or something...

-Alamar

News Comments > Gone Gold - Dead Island; New Co-op Trailer
7. Re: Gone Gold - Dead Island; New Co-op Trailer Aug 10, 2011, 15:39 Alamar

Cutter wrote on Aug 9, 2011, 23:06:
Well this looks like it should hit the bargain bin in no time flat. How many years did it take them to make this again???

It physically pains me every time I agree with Cutter, but I don't understand the hype... The video scenes looked pretty bad, and I rarely complain/compare about that... And it's just another zombie game...

Granted, I know just about nothing about the game, and as people lament on here all the time, 'crap' titles make millions of sales all the time : )

I guess what I'm really saying is, if there's a demo, I'm not yet convinced it's worth trying... But it wouldn't be the first time BluesNewsians have convinced me to try something I had no excitement for...

-Alamar

News Comments > Portal 2 Price Drop
16. Re: Portal 2 Price Drop Aug 9, 2011, 10:59 Alamar

Waiting on Portal 3 so I can try Portal 2 for free : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Steam Top 10
48. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 8, 2011, 10:33 Alamar

J wrote on Aug 8, 2011, 04:14:
Also remember with DX:HR that many were burnt by the consolitis-infested plaguebearer Invisible War. They may not be so keen to jump in with both feet but wait until the buzz hits them via word of mouth.

Personally, I haven't pre-ordered yet as I am waiting for my bills to come through so I know exactly what I can afford, but then I'll be pre-ordering. At risk of sounding like a parrot - This is the kind of game that should be supported with pre-orders so that just maybe the message will get through that these kind of games should be encouraged!

18 days to go

Interestingly, I feel the opposite, or close to it...

Pre-ordering a game generally just means that you, the consumer, don't care if the game is good enough to play, just good enough to watch/read/experience-the-IP...

Now, if DX:HR is a great game, I think we should all support it with post launch sales, because by then, we'll actually know if it's a great deal...

-Alamar

News Comments > WoW Drops More Subs
98. Re: WoW Drops More Subs Aug 6, 2011, 17:55 Alamar

Just found out why they lost so much recently/suddenly...

http://www.thedailyblink.com/2011/08/but-my-liege-he-is-but-one-man/

-Alamar

News Comments > Insert Provocative Headline Here
4. Re: Insert Provocative Headline Here Aug 6, 2011, 17:48 Alamar

Maybe Valve's billions really is going to get something else out : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Bethesda Sues Mojang Over Scrolls TM
31. Re: Bethesda Sues Mojang Over Scrolls TM Aug 6, 2011, 17:47 Alamar

Jackplug wrote on Aug 6, 2011, 17:34:
They don't own the word scrolls and do not have a leg to stand on. Majong should counter sue for for false accusations.

This wins the ironic post of the month award...

This debacle... Started because Mojang is trying to trademark the word scrolls...

Thereby, trying to 'own' the word scrolls...

-Alamar

News Comments > No Battlefield 3 on Steam
8. Re: No Battlefield 3 on Steam Aug 6, 2011, 13:30 Alamar

Bhruic wrote on Aug 6, 2011, 13:01:
If this is such a big deal with EA, why don't any of the other big name publishers seem to have the same problem with Valve?

If this is such a big deal with Valve, why don't any of the other digital distributers seem to have the same problem with EA?

When you've made your first billion... You just want more and more...

I wonder where all this Valve money goes... They used to do well selling the occasional fairly good game... Now they have more income, and less quality outcome...

As for comparing it to Apple's evil empire, Apple recently changed the way they do business just so that 'in app purchases' could be made without them taking their 30% cut... So the 'real' vendor would be able to make money...

-Alamar

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
7. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 5, 2011, 21:08 Alamar

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Aug 5, 2011, 17:38:
She's been in the last few episodes of Eureka. She's been pretty good in that.

Was going to mention this... She plays a quirky character that fits in well with the show...

I'm far from a fan, but I think she's doing alright, at least in a show I like : )

-Alamar

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Collector’s Edition Details
6. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Collector’s Edition Details Aug 5, 2011, 20:48 Alamar

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Aug 5, 2011, 20:40:
Anyone else remember when the 'artbooks, cloth maps, figurines, etc' came with a normal boxed game? Yeah...

cloth maps, and some etc, sure...

I don't think I've ever gotten an art book, or figurine in a non CE edition... Actually maybe a figurine once... And we're talking like 500 games since ~25 years ago...

I've also purchased less CE's than I have fingers on one hand (ignoring that whole boating accident thing)...

I support CE's however, for like $20 over the typical charge.. $150 just seems silly to me... But I don't begrudge those that are passionate enough about a game to get them : )

-Alamar

News Comments > StarCraft II: Starter Edition Replaces Demo
10. Re: StarCraft II: Starter Edition Replaces Demo Aug 4, 2011, 09:24 Alamar

I like free... But I don't want to get interested in a $150-$180 game...

Which is of course all perception vs intention... I have happily paid for full price expansions for some items, like WoW, but perhaps a bad example... Diablo 2? And it's not an issue... but knowing right from the get go, that the story isn't complete without the next two boxes really drives me away.

And the D2 example is bad, because the story doesn't end either until you have the expansion. I believe Titan Quest was the same...

-Alamar

News Comments > Activision Financials, Diablo III Beta This Quarter
19. Re: Activision Financials, Diablo III Beta This Quarter Aug 4, 2011, 08:17 Alamar

ASeven wrote on Aug 4, 2011, 07:43:
The Half Elf wrote on Aug 4, 2011, 06:17:
Teddy wrote on Aug 4, 2011, 02:34:
Cutter wrote on Aug 3, 2011, 22:28:
WoW may live for another decade for sure, but as a niche product much like UO. If it's not hemmoraghing customers on a massive scale now it will be soon with SWTOR, GW2, Titan, etc. At this point there's little keeping anyone around WoW except for the social aspect of it, and for the serious raiders and pvpers - a minority.

They just announced another 300,000 accounts lost last quarter. That's 900,000 accounts in half a year. I think that qualifies as hemmorhraging at this point.

Ok so 11 million subscribers, minus 900k, is still a shitload of subscribers and money.

If it keeps bleeding subscribers at this rate then soon it won't be that many left, not to cover infrastructure and other costs.

Soon is such a fun word : )

But let's look at the math...

Assuming, for the hell of it, 10 million is what they have after losing 900k... That needs to drop another 9 mil or so before infrastructure costs are too much, and long since that point, they would have closed half their servers anyways...

Also, 600k in one quarter, 300k in the next... does that mean it'll be 150k next quarter, or 0? Assuming half and half again, that's only 225k lost over the next half year... Sure, it's all simplified for your amusement, but worrying (or hoping) Blizzard is hurting from all this is silly...

It's all moot anyways; we don't know their numbers... like how much it costs them to hire the forklift operators to move around their massive stacks of money and what not ; )

-Alamar

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Announced
53. Re: Borderlands 2 Announced Aug 3, 2011, 19:51 Alamar

Beamer wrote on Aug 3, 2011, 14:38:
Saying something doesn't exist when it does exist is pretty common. Often you just don't want to talk about something yet. You want to control the conversation some and you don't want to get accused of "hyping" too soon. Other times something exists but doesn't really exist - perhaps it's in such a raw state that it's little more than a concept, or perhaps the funding isn't really there and you can't say with any really conviction that it'll get released.
This is when you deny. Or "no comment." Or "of course we'd love to do XYZ, but for the time being we're not announcing anything."

Making a comment about shoddy journalism when that journalism is right, though, seems insane.

Some great points, but being right doesn't make shoddy journalism not shoddy : )

Also need to consider that a lot of these companies are public.. Until private/sensitive information that could change stock prices has been officially announced, employees are legally obliged to deny rumors...

As for the game, I am highly looking forward to it... I have enjoyed (and gotten more time out of) Borderlands more than any non-massive in the last 5-10 years...

-Alamar

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Announced
25. Re: Borderlands 2 Announced Aug 3, 2011, 13:39 Alamar

JayDeath wrote on Aug 3, 2011, 13:35:
Great I guess, but let's hope they fix the FOV this time around. Is there a way to fix it in Borderlands? I never looked into it.

I think one of the reasons Gearbox never bothered to allow it to be customized (or just assume an FOV based on a wide screen res) is because the fix has been so publicly prevalent... Just do a search for Borderlands FOV fix, or Config Editor... I'll do that now... http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=85874

Somewhere, on their same forums, and likely linked in that thread, is a long list of ini changes you can do manually as well... If you don't want to run a .NET app to do it for you...

-Alamar

News Comments > Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More
255. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 19:23 Alamar

Agent.X7 wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 19:01:
<Further self-righteous outrage>!

<Attempt at insulting people who disagree with my outrage by insinuating they are younger and therefore stupid with the words kid/son/boy>!

<Additional anecdotal evidence which I purport to represent all gamers, everywhere>!

Awesome...

If I were into those me me's, I would so plus 1 this or something...

-Alamar

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 PvP Details Next Month
6. Re: Guild Wars 2 PvP Details Next Month Jul 29, 2011, 21:06 Alamar

DaZ wrote on Jul 29, 2011, 14:07:
Of all the mmo's on the horizon, GW2 is really the only one that promises any innovation whatsoever.

As a 5 year wow vet (cancelled sub just before firelands), its depressing to see every new mmo copy wow so blatantly. GW2 is the only one that has genuinely intrigued me, so i'm looking forward to it with quiet optimism =)

Hmmm... GW2's dynamic events are just Warhammer's Public quests, that can... go backwards...

Where is the innovation?

-Alamar

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
5. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 28, 2011, 09:28 Alamar

Sepharo wrote on Jul 27, 2011, 23:06:
Heavy Rain, RDR, and LA Noire really have me ready to pick up a PS3. Why won't can't these damn games comes out on PC.

Edited the original slightly to 'fix' it... So that the question more accurately contains the answer : )

While it's arguable that 'companies don't make money on console hardware sales, 'forcing' you to buy a PS3 for a certain game(s) means you're likely to pick up more at some point... The power of exclusivity compels you...

-Nathan

1792 Comments. 90 pages. Viewing page 58.
< Newer [ 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo