Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Alamar

Real Name Alamar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 26, 2005, 15:11
Total Comments 1938 (Pro)
User ID 22996

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing: Final Cut Announced
4. Re: The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing: Final Cut Announced Jul 2, 2015, 00:36 Alamar

Took me a while to force myself back to it to get through the first, but I didn't think it was a bad game...

I really like that they're not trying to screw over current customers, that have all three (as some other companies have done lately; Dark Souls II), but it'd be nice if there was a per title discount, much like Witcher 3 had on steam (5% off per previous Witcher title). Maybe that's moot though, as I'll likely not jump on it for years...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Arkham Knight PC Fixes Prioritized
30. Re: Re: Arkham Knight PC Fixes Prioritized Jun 26, 2015, 15:04 Alamar

El Pit wrote on Jun 26, 2015, 13:39:
But saying that nobody who pirates a game would not buy it if he could not pirate it is bs, and you know that. It's what pirates say and their parrots.

Has anyone ever said that?

It's kind of 'meta' or 'inception' that you're putting words into others' mouths about words not being said...

People do enjoy their all-or-nothing stances though... And I thought Kajetan's non-exaggerated/non-extreme argument was sound.

In the end, it's piracy... There are no accurate numbers, for or against piracy, DRM, etc... It makes sense that it has an effect, both positive and negative on sales, but there are no 'sources' with real numbers because the information is not available, and won't be until all internet, LAN, street corner, flea-market, etc, traffic is logged...

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Jun 26, 2015, 14:02 Alamar

jacobvandy wrote on Jun 26, 2015, 12:51:
ldonyo wrote on Jun 26, 2015, 11:06:
Pre-orders and day 1 sales are not remotely similar. Pre-orders are from people that decided they're going to get a game on the first day and are willing to pay for it in advance of that game's release, sometimes over a year in advance. These pre-orders mean that a publisher can count that money before the game ever ships and gives them no incentive to make sure the game is playable on release day.

Pre-orders from retailers are not charged until you get your product, and pre-ordering on Steam is self-refundable until the moment it unlocks. So counting on that money and calling it a day is hardly prudent. Even after that, a game that was so egregiously broken on release was still refunded en masse by Steam, since BEFORE they implemented the 2-hour refund-for-any-reason policy. I believe that graduates the notion from "not prudent" to downright foolhardy.

To say a high volume of pre-orders gives them some extra breathing room, taking a little of the pressure off making sure everything is absolutely perfect for release, has some merit. But to say it absolves them of any further obligation, seriously? Avoiding the shit-storm that ensues upon releasing an even moderately ill-received product alone is PLENTY of incentive to remain on course and follow through.

Some people need to use absurd exaggerations to 'prove' their point, because it can't stand on it's own...

I have nothing against pre-orders... It's a tool, like many others, and it makes a lot of sense for some people. I pre-order 1-3 titles a year, though most of the time, it has been a 1 day pre-order... I stay away from the hype up to a point, then some games just really get me excited, and I want them NOW. I can't think of any that have 'blown up in my face', so I'll keep doing it this way : )

News Comments > Skyforge Trailer
1. Re: Skyforge Trailer Jun 25, 2015, 18:09 Alamar

This reminded me I got in the Beta this week... And meh... Not looking like something I'm going to put much more time into.  

News Comments > Project CARS 2 Announced
18. Re: Project CARS 2 Announced Jun 22, 2015, 18:09 Alamar

SpectralMeat wrote on Jun 22, 2015, 16:07:
nin wrote on Jun 22, 2015, 16:02:
Seriously, doesn't every studio do this?

No they don't. In my opinion a studio should make enough money off of a game to at least start a sequel. In order to do that they should have the game on the market for at least a year or more and support the shit out of it so people feel comfortable to support the studio.
What these guys do has the exact opposite effect on costumers.
Hey pay us $80 now so we can make a game that will be dropped the day it comes out so we can start working on a sequel or a totally different game.
But we promise we will support the game and release patches, really, pinky promise.
If the game doesn't make enough to start development on a sequel than well that game wasn't successful enough to grant a sequel.

Buyer be wary (sic), sure, and I know just about nothing about this game or studio, and the following is generic, and may not relate that well to this case, but...

If any studio needs to crowd fund their first game, so that they don't take money (or a significant portion) from a publisher, it means that the crowd is paying for the development of the project. If it isn't a huge success (in other words, sales over cost by a wide margin), they're not going to end up with a crap ton of cash afterwards, which means they'll be back in the same position...

This doesn't seem like a crazy cycle to me, because it's what most developers have had to go through, with publisher funding, for decades... They got enough from the publisher to stay afloat, and didn't recoup enough to not need a publisher next time...

News Comments > Fallout 4 Unfettered on PCs
17. Re: Fallout 4 Unfettered on PCs Jun 22, 2015, 16:04 Alamar

Fallout 4 will run at 30 FPS on EVERYTHING... That we, the gaming press, care about...  

News Comments > New NVIDIA Drivers
2. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Jun 22, 2015, 12:43 Alamar

Dagnamit wrote on Jun 22, 2015, 12:36:
hopefully this driver takes care of the driver crash issues of the last two updates. I had to roll back to 347 to stop the problems.

That would be nice... Every time it crashes, I have to unplug the HDMI from my TV to make it recognize the signal again... Not saying that part is an NVIDIA issue, as the TV is bitchy at other times, but it is consistent in that case, and annoying as shit ; )

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Jun 18, 2015, 22:04 Alamar

Cutter wrote on Jun 18, 2015, 20:44:
Anyone get ARK yet? Looks fun but most of the reviews lead me to believe it's still a hot mess atm.

A friend at work picked it up, to play with his other friend... They're enjoying it, but haven't put enough time in to really have much of an opinion...

Apparently you should take a mount before you create a base, at least on a PVP server, because your character/base stays in game, but inactive, if you log off, but your mount can still fight for you. Still sets up a scenario where you'll get your ass beat while offline, but making yourself not so easy pickings helps people choose other targets.

News Comments > Dark Souls III Announced
5. Re: Dark Souls III Announced Jun 15, 2015, 15:58 Alamar

I'm happy a third is being made, but I'm not sure about an early purchase this time around... Loved early DS2 with helping others and what not, but the DS2: Screw You edition leaves a bad taste in my mouth...

But if I'm not actively playing something when it hits, I'll likely jump on board anyways... Really unsure on the DLC situation too... Don't think I beat all the crown bosses yet... And never did finish BB either...

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Jun 9, 2015, 21:26 Alamar

Last day of the GOG sale... Everything back on sale for 24h...  

News Comments > Master of Orion Remake Plans
10. Re: Master of Orion Remake Plans Jun 9, 2015, 12:18 Alamar

Conceptually, I like the idea of a MOO remake... I enjoyed it back in the day...

But, my tastes have changed... The genre's tastes have changed... The gaming audience in general has changed...

Some of you want a remake, but I can't see that turning out well... But again, my tastes... I don't play many (any?) 4X these days, preferring action over waiting (or micromanaging)... SPAZ is a pretty good idea of the kind of title I prefer these days : )

News Comments > Indie Developers on Steam Refunds
48. Re: Indie Developers on Steam Refunds Jun 8, 2015, 19:17 Alamar

jdreyer wrote on Jun 8, 2015, 16:47:
shihonage wrote on Jun 8, 2015, 15:34:
As someone who hopes to put an early-access indie title on Steam at some point... I believe return policy is almost there. They just need to limit it to games that cost $30 and up, which are mostly non-indie titles.

My biggest buying regrets were Aliens: Colonial Marines and Fallout 3, both made by big companies, both over $30.

This policy change might also encourage lower pricing of games? There's probably an unforeseen side-effect to this, but I don't see it just yet.

Just out of curiosity: did you know less than 2 hours into FO3 that you wanted a refund? (I assume you did with A:CM)

I did... I eventually put more time into it, but I had to force myself (at least to get started)...

I also have dozens of unplayed games on Steam, and dozens I've played about 15-30 minutes of... Some of those would have been great to get a refund from. Many of the unplayed ones are bundle games, so no refund available, and pretty moot at some of those bundle prices.

I personally think this new policy is a great step forward, and I think it'll even out. I have no expectations of ever using it, but maybe another Bound by Flame or similar will come out ; )

Another thread I saw on this, an indie dev pointed out a very large increase in global steam sales after the announcement, which he theorized was related to the other half of this policy... More people are likely to buy a product now that they have the option of not paying when they don't like it. However, in both sets of charts/graphs, there is so much missing information, the theories (on both sides) may have like 5% merit.

News Comments > Indie Developers on Steam Refunds
18. Re: Indie Developers on Steam Refunds Jun 8, 2015, 11:34 Alamar

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jun 8, 2015, 10:25:
I did a blog post about this with a video rant to go with it. In my opinion, there is nothing bad about Steam refunds. Aside from the sheer arrogance of some of these uber-niche indie developers who think the entire system should bend to their will (because the failure of their projects is never their fault, it's always someone else's fault), there's some major flawed logic at play here. They assume that everyone who buys and beats a less than two hour game will always request a refund and they assume that everyone who is doing so would have bought the game in the first place.

I think this is just showing the reality that maybe some of their games aren't as good as they thought they were. I can tell you, as someone who has played Titan Attacks from Puppygames, I wish the refund policy was in place then because that game was bad. But like I said, it's always someone else's fault that your game doesn't sell, never cause for some self-reflection on your creation. Just because you think your game is good doesn't mean it is and it doesn't mean you're entitled to success.

When I read this the other day, I had no idea who Puppygames was, and that they made that neat selection of games, like the one you mention... So bad, it has a 91% rate on Steam for ~700 reviews...

News Comments > Desura & Indie Royale Parent Bankrupt
17. Re: Desura & Indie Royale Parent Bankrupt Jun 6, 2015, 15:12 Alamar

LurkerLito wrote on Jun 6, 2015, 11:38:
Julio wrote on Jun 6, 2015, 10:47:
Fortunately I only have Project Zomboid purchased there and nothing else. Definitely a good preview of what happens if/when Steam goes under.
Not even a decent preview of what will happen if Steam goes under. Desura is mainly DRM-Free so you can right now go and download almost all the games you ever bought from them and keep them and install them later to play. Basically you can preserve the content you bought so the money you spent didn't just disappear.

The "Steam-pocalypse" should it ever occur will be much much worse. You'll be able to download all your games but once the Steam servers go down, with a few exceptions, you will be SOL getting the games to run unless each and every publisher issues a steam removal patch before steam servers shutdown (which won't happen). All the thousands of dollars you spent over the years will have disappeared with the steam servers.

I don't know about all that... If Steam were to ever die, it's not like it would happen in a vacuum, and since Games already work offline, I could see a client update that lets you stay that way indefinitely, before they close up for good. Outside if that, even non-piracy people would have a pretty damn strong case to get all their titles back in other ways ; )

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Patched
30. Re: The Witcher 3 Patched Jun 6, 2015, 13:18 Alamar

Wonder if they fixed the Chest bug yet... https://youtu.be/WmW4wVVjlJ0  

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Patch Plans
12. Re: The Witcher 3 Patch Plans Jun 1, 2015, 12:03 Alamar

heh 'Too many wild hunt minions were spawned during Ciri's Story: Fleeing the Bog quest.'

I just assumed you had to kill everything before proceeding, and I had about 30 of those little buggers right off the bat... Good times ; )

News Comments > Planet Centauri Demo
1. Re: Planet Centauri Demo Jun 1, 2015, 11:56 Alamar

Wow... That looks a crap ton better than I was expecting... Going to try out the demo later on, and it just might be my first backed KS project...  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
9. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jun 1, 2015, 00:08 Alamar

Ozmodan wrote on May 31, 2015, 14:27:
I have watched several game tournaments and find I would much rather play a game than watch someone else do so.

That is exactly how I feel about sports, though I wouldn't call fans of those activities 'stupid people' ; )

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
3. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup May 27, 2015, 22:56 Alamar

Asmodai wrote on May 27, 2015, 18:23:
"Invasion Force" is everything that is wrong with Greenlight. A static turret shooting game with awful graphics, absurd HUD, shitty action and yet it's cluttering up a shopfront that already has far more products than it needs...

The signal to noise ratio on Steam has gone to shit.

Had to check it out, after your 'review'... This is exactly what Greenlight is for... Niche games with small demographics, given a place to monetize.

The problem isn't that Steam suddenly has a lot of 'shitty' titles (because Steam has always had a lot of 'shitty' titles)... The problem is that Steam as a storefront is shit... Not interested in a game? Great, click on Not Interested, but it'll be in your recommended list tomorrow...

News Comments > Overwatch Video
15. Re: Overwatch Video May 27, 2015, 22:46 Alamar

I have played competitive FPS since UT, but when I did, it was UT-Excessive, so I'm all for fast speed, though I'll miss six-loaded super jumps across bigass maps...

Don't have much of an opinion on this yet, other than that I'll likely give it a try (assuming F2P) and judge it when I've played it ; )

1938 Comments. 97 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo