Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Alamar

Real Name Alamar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 26, 2005, 15:11
Total Comments 1954 (Pro)
User ID 22996

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > On Trine 3's Length and Future
3. Re: On Trine 3's Length and Future Aug 22, 2015, 13:02 Alamar

Xero wrote on Aug 22, 2015, 12:59:
I think the part where there is no upgrading your characters anymore and discovering chests is a major bummer. There was always that enjoyment of level hunting for orbs and chests that made the first two a blast.

In this one, what I hear, you start and end the game with your character exactly the same throughout with no upgrades and improvements. That's a major bummer and shocking they let it release that way.

In all honestly, the full 3D originally caught me by surprise when it was shown the first time and I thought, damn, I actually preferred Trine as an awesome 2D scroller platform game. It's what I felt made it very unique. Taking the game into full 3D puts it back with the rest of every other similar platform game out there.

Really, aside from having the Trine name attached to it, what makes it really stand out at this point from the rest? They didn't cram enough goodness in to it to make it that much different.

Here's hoping 4 (if it ever releases at this point), goes back to basics and they come back to 2D scroller with all that made the first 2 great.

My very first thought after playing the first Trine was, holy fucking shit, why can't Castlevania look like this... For a '2.5D' platformer, nothing compares, so I agree with your post quite wholeheartedly ; )

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Destiny Still Destined for PCs?
19. Re: Destiny Still Destined for PCs? Aug 21, 2015, 23:17 Alamar

Wallshadows wrote on Aug 21, 2015, 20:25:
It's already on PC. It's called Warframe and it's free.

I've put a few hundred hours into Warframe, and I think it has a lot of potential, but the longer term leveling system is annoying as shit... Having to constantly be swapping into new 'suits' and weapons to up your overall level is annoying. Sure, I don't have to do it, but I wanted to eventually be able to try my goo gun (that I can't remember the name of). I haven't because this gated grind annoyed the shit out of me ; )

As for Destiny, it's well made. The controls feel good, and while I have said for decades that I don't want to play a shooter on a controller, I got accustomed to it fairly quickly, and outside of the auto aim fucking up half the shots it's supposed to help with (and then adjusting to that), it was fun.

I also thought the Light gear mechanic for leveling was stupid, so it's nice that it's going away (unless we find out the traditional system sucks for this game heh). The worst is that you can't use the 'fun' or 'cool' gear, because it messes up your level, and therefore your performance...

My biggest gripe with it, is that the amount of content is so little for the cost... Being on PC will help that quite a bit, as the prices on console rarely move, but that's probably part of the anti-incentive to porting it. Nonetheless, if it comes to PC, I'll almost-definitely pick it up at some point.

News Comments > New Supernova Commander
2. Re: New Supernova Commander Aug 6, 2015, 00:41 Alamar

Soooo many MOBA's... Now I know how you all felt when you were complaining about MMO saturation...  

News Comments > Rocket League Sells 5M; DLC Next Month; Patch Plans
8. Re: Rocket League Sells 5M; DLC Next Month; Patch Plans Jul 30, 2015, 15:56 Alamar

jacobvandy wrote on Jul 30, 2015, 15:38:
Alamar wrote on Jul 30, 2015, 14:52:
Yosemite Sam wrote on Jul 30, 2015, 13:27:
LOL they didn't sell 5 million units they have had their game downloaded 5 million times... it's a free game this month on PSN!

While true, if they're getting money from Sony for being part of PS+, which I can't imagine they're not, it's still a sale, and no different than all the other companies boasting about their huge sales as a result of sub $1 profit per sale from bundles ; )

Exactly. It's free to subscribers (which means you are paying somewhere), but that doesn't mean the devs are giving them away.

Seeing the success, though, they might be wishing they hadn't done that lol... I'm guessing Sony says "we'll pay you $XXX to let us offer your game for free for a month" and these guys agree thinking they'd only see like 10k downloads. Then it becomes a smash hit and suddenly 2-3 million copies were "sold" for that same flat rate, so it's really more of a sub 1 cent profit per copy.

Of course, it may also be the case that Sony pays out a per-download rate for PS+ "free" games, but that sounds too good to be true.

NO idea what the numbers are like, but from their perspective, they'll have a very good idea of how much they get before agreeing to be included, as Sony knows at any given time, how many active subscribers there will be for XX month. Having that concrete sales figure is very useful, and it doesn't matter how many 'potential lost sales' they might have had if not included in PS+.

They also released on PC around the same time, and the huge amount of word of mouth that's been flowing from the crap ton of people playing for free, likely boosts their PC sales a good deal.

News Comments > Rocket League Sells 5M; DLC Next Month; Patch Plans
5. Re: Rocket League Sells 5M; DLC Next Month; Patch Plans Jul 30, 2015, 14:52 Alamar

Yosemite Sam wrote on Jul 30, 2015, 13:27:
LOL they didn't sell 5 million units they have had their game downloaded 5 million times... it's a free game this month on PSN!

While true, if they're getting money from Sony for being part of PS+, which I can't imagine they're not, it's still a sale, and no different than all the other companies boasting about their huge sales as a result of sub $1 profit per sale from bundles ; )

News Comments > GOG.com & Windows 10
4. Re: GOG.com & Windows 10 Jul 29, 2015, 12:30 Alamar

Flatline wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 11:37:
Creston wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 10:45:
Love or hate Windows 10, what GOG is doing to prepare for it is fantastic.

Over at Steam, they're like "Yeah whatever. Who gives a shit whether it'll work or not."

That's always been their approach. I still have games that broke in the jump to 7 from XP. A couple of the Max Payne games in particular.

I flat out don't buy old games on Steam any more because I don't expect them to work without massive effort on my part.

Add to that, Steam puts the 'release date' as when it was added to Steam, not the actual, useful, release date... Sure, most games are fairly graphically accurate for their actual release date, but not all, and long before refunds were an option, you were basically screwed (over)... And another bad customer rating meant shit to the monopoly back then (not sure it matters any more these days though).

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Jul 24, 2015, 11:29 Alamar

Didn't watch more than the first few minutes of the trailer, but now I want to see the movie ; )  

News Comments > Bombshell Trailer
5. Re: Bombshell Trailer Jul 24, 2015, 11:23 Alamar

Didn't watch much, but it looks interesting enough that I'd try a demo...

Don't much care for the grenade 'finishing move' part though... Felt very out of place after blasting everything at range...

News Comments > Victor Vran Released
4. Re: Victor Vran Released Jul 24, 2015, 11:13 Alamar

"I hunt demons for a living"... WTF is Geralt doing hunting demons here?  

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Free DLC
18. Re: The Witcher 3 Free DLC Jul 22, 2015, 12:32 Alamar

What a bunch of fart smellers... I may have that backwards...

I have no interest in any of this DLC... New vanity shit does nothing for me. But even ignoring the consistent functional updates (that I do care about), they've made a very interesting/smart choice with pumping out all this mini shit ever few weeks... Keeps people talking about it, which is 'near free' marketing... Those on the fence, keep getting bombarded by new 'free content', making the purchase sound that much sweeter... And every thread has people talking about what a great game this was... That last part is pretty important I guess, otherwise, 17 or so reminders of a shitty game might not have such a positive effect ; )

News Comments > TotalBiscuit, Steam, and 30 FPS Lock-Blocking
2. Re: TotalBiscuit, Steam, and 30 FPS Lock-Blocking Jul 17, 2015, 10:21 Alamar

I never had any issues with this sort of thing until I switched to my new 'monitors' (50" TVs)... Now, anything less than near-60 bugs my eyes... I think that's more because TV quality isn't as high as monitor quality (hence the price gap). Outside of that, having 'grown up' with playing games without issue at anything over 15 fps, I always found the high fps requirements funny... : )  

News Comments > Path of Exile: The Awakening Launches
10. Re: Path of Exile: The Awakening Launches Jul 11, 2015, 12:10 Alamar

Frijoles wrote on Jul 11, 2015, 11:18:
dj LiTh wrote on Jul 11, 2015, 10:56:
I think it would of made a lot more people upset by not giving them a reset (something they do after every major patch) because of the vast changes to the passive tree, especially with the additions of jewels.

Oh I agree. They definitely should allow a reset. I just hate the idea of reassigning the whole thing and figuring out what has changed.

What they should do, is give you the reset, but show you where your points were previously...

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Witcher 3 Jul 9, 2015, 10:54 Alamar

Creston wrote on Jul 9, 2015, 10:25:
Alrighty, time for me to bite the bullet on the Witcher 3. Can someone with the GOG version explain to me how their patching works? Is it still download and apply individual patches? If so, I may go for the Steam version, as much as I'd rather get it from GOG to get them the most money.

Thanks

Galaxy == Steam...

News Comments > No Man's Sky Gameplay Video
6. Re: No Man's Sky Gameplay Video Jul 7, 2015, 12:26 Alamar

JoeNapalm wrote on Jul 7, 2015, 12:09:
Yeah, okay, open-ended is great...

...but what is there to do?

Exploration is awesome...

...if there's something to find.

The game looks interesting, but I'm not grokking the driving elements, I guess. I mean, in Minecraft, you explored to find awesome procedurally-generated environemtents...but ultimately because you needed more diamonds and redstone.

What's the hook?

-Jn-

Doesn't your comparing it to Minecraft (and it's lack of a push) answer your own question? The video stated you find shit, upgrade your shit, and can go further... Isn't that the same as diamonds and redstone?

News Comments > Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition Beta Announced
14. Re: Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition Beta Announced Jul 4, 2015, 16:39 Alamar

Man... I was happy with this announcement... And I still expect a far better product than what Minecraft currently is... But I knew I could come read the comments and question my game-hood... : )  

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
3. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Jul 4, 2015, 01:08 Alamar

Axis wrote on Jul 2, 2015, 19:10:
What in the hell is it with people who keep using "Mythos" in their game name.

Already doomed.

The pre-Torchlight game was also Mythos, wasn't it?

News Comments > The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing: Final Cut Announced
4. Re: The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing: Final Cut Announced Jul 2, 2015, 00:36 Alamar

Took me a while to force myself back to it to get through the first, but I didn't think it was a bad game...

I really like that they're not trying to screw over current customers, that have all three (as some other companies have done lately; Dark Souls II), but it'd be nice if there was a per title discount, much like Witcher 3 had on steam (5% off per previous Witcher title). Maybe that's moot though, as I'll likely not jump on it for years...

News Comments > Arkham Knight PC Fixes Prioritized
30. Re: Re: Arkham Knight PC Fixes Prioritized Jun 26, 2015, 15:04 Alamar

El Pit wrote on Jun 26, 2015, 13:39:
But saying that nobody who pirates a game would not buy it if he could not pirate it is bs, and you know that. It's what pirates say and their parrots.

Has anyone ever said that?

It's kind of 'meta' or 'inception' that you're putting words into others' mouths about words not being said...

People do enjoy their all-or-nothing stances though... And I thought Kajetan's non-exaggerated/non-extreme argument was sound.

In the end, it's piracy... There are no accurate numbers, for or against piracy, DRM, etc... It makes sense that it has an effect, both positive and negative on sales, but there are no 'sources' with real numbers because the information is not available, and won't be until all internet, LAN, street corner, flea-market, etc, traffic is logged...

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Jun 26, 2015, 14:02 Alamar

jacobvandy wrote on Jun 26, 2015, 12:51:
ldonyo wrote on Jun 26, 2015, 11:06:
Pre-orders and day 1 sales are not remotely similar. Pre-orders are from people that decided they're going to get a game on the first day and are willing to pay for it in advance of that game's release, sometimes over a year in advance. These pre-orders mean that a publisher can count that money before the game ever ships and gives them no incentive to make sure the game is playable on release day.

Pre-orders from retailers are not charged until you get your product, and pre-ordering on Steam is self-refundable until the moment it unlocks. So counting on that money and calling it a day is hardly prudent. Even after that, a game that was so egregiously broken on release was still refunded en masse by Steam, since BEFORE they implemented the 2-hour refund-for-any-reason policy. I believe that graduates the notion from "not prudent" to downright foolhardy.

To say a high volume of pre-orders gives them some extra breathing room, taking a little of the pressure off making sure everything is absolutely perfect for release, has some merit. But to say it absolves them of any further obligation, seriously? Avoiding the shit-storm that ensues upon releasing an even moderately ill-received product alone is PLENTY of incentive to remain on course and follow through.

Some people need to use absurd exaggerations to 'prove' their point, because it can't stand on it's own...

I have nothing against pre-orders... It's a tool, like many others, and it makes a lot of sense for some people. I pre-order 1-3 titles a year, though most of the time, it has been a 1 day pre-order... I stay away from the hype up to a point, then some games just really get me excited, and I want them NOW. I can't think of any that have 'blown up in my face', so I'll keep doing it this way : )

News Comments > Skyforge Trailer
1. Re: Skyforge Trailer Jun 25, 2015, 18:09 Alamar

This reminded me I got in the Beta this week... And meh... Not looking like something I'm going to put much more time into.  

1954 Comments. 98 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo