Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Alamar

Real Name Alamar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 26, 2005, 15:11
Total Comments 1885 (Pro)
User ID 22996

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 30, 2015, 10:59 Alamar

Wow... All that rampant piracy, and I've never seen a minute of the show...  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Asteroids: Outpost Early Access; Other Remakes Considered
11. Re: Asteroids: Outpost Early Access; Other Remakes Considered Mar 28, 2015, 00:50 Alamar

Burrito of Peace wrote on Mar 27, 2015, 23:02:
Parias wrote on Mar 27, 2015, 17:08:
I actually found Outpost 2 to be pretty fun - is that the one you're referring to?

No no. I am referring to this monstrosity.

It was so broken at release that it was literally unplayable. Since the Internet wasn't a thing back then, Sierra sent those of us who were suckers that bought it who owned it replacement discs in the mail after it was truly finished.

At the time, Computer Gaming World was a really big magazine and it spent ten pages ripping it apart savagely.

RIP CGW...

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Released
20. Re: Pillars of Eternity Released Mar 26, 2015, 15:13 Alamar

Creston wrote on Mar 26, 2015, 14:10:
Wooohooo! Congrats, Obsidian, and thanks to everyone who KS'ed!

And a big hearty FUCK YOU to every publisher who said these kind of games weren't in demand anymore and couldn't be done anymore. FUCK YOU.

What some publishers seem to fail to realize, is that old people don't want change... And we're at a point where a lot of gamers are old people (hence the success of this site ; )... And who has the most disposable income? Old people... : )

News Comments > Morning Interviews
22. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 26, 2015, 12:02 Alamar

Verno wrote on Mar 26, 2015, 11:33:
PHJF wrote on Mar 26, 2015, 11:32:
Unfortunately this weekend is already reserved by Bloodborne.

Praise the Sunny !

Pistol/Whipcane all the way man. Game is awesome. Already got my ass kicked several times but I'm getting a good feel for the new pacing now.

My first char started with that combo... The '2h' version of the whip was great in that early area with a ton of mobs, and the '1h' version is nice and fast... Then I restarted on an intended str char, picked the axe... Don't like slow weapons, but then I found the Saw Spear... OMG... So fast, so strong... Ripped through the first 3 bosses with 1 death (on the third). Ironically, while the Saw Spear scales D/D, it scales a bit faster in Skill, so I'm about at a 25/25 Quality build. Damn fun game, though, the first few hours adjusting, were frustrating ; )

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Patched
20. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Patched Mar 23, 2015, 20:12 Alamar

ldonyo wrote on Mar 23, 2015, 14:24:
To paraphrase Chun from Remo Williams, "I see the deadly EA has done its evil work."

There isn't a franchise created by an acquired development studio that EA can't turn to shit, usually right before shutting down that same studio.

Chiun... And there's a new spinoff to the series, called Legacy, about Remo's two offspring, for those of us that didn't get into The Destroyer previously... First e-book is only $2.55 on amazon : )

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 23, 2015, 10:45 Alamar

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 23, 2015, 08:47:
Tees react- Gaming is .. hilarious

I've seen one other of these, and it was also funny... Having just played through Last of Us last week, my memory of the game, and how I felt at certain spots, is present, so it's neat to see the variance.

And yes, I had assumed that Ellen Page was voicing the kid, because holy crap... But it was the Seaver kid instead : )

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 23, 2015, 10:26 Alamar

Having just gotten my PS4, for Bloodborne, I couldn't be certain, but aren't patches forced on you? When I install anything, it starts downloading the patch (there's always a patch) anyways... I didn't have to manually do anything (except with BB, which is a pre-load)...  

News Comments > Evening Patches
2. Re: Evening Patches Mar 21, 2015, 00:22 Alamar

Wallshadows wrote on Mar 20, 2015, 19:59:
Warframe pushed their U16 patch today too. New frame, couple new weapons, new 8-man raid, and a lot of other changes/balances/fixes.

I enjoyed Warframe quite a bit... Enough to throw $20 at them, for credits that I never ended up using... But I hate the 'leveling' system... You need to keep leveling unique weapons to level your account high enough to use some of the crafted weapons... I just gave up, and stopped playing.

News Comments > Dying Light Ultimate Survivor Bundle DLC Released
3. Re: Dying Light Ultimate Survivor Bundle DLC Released Mar 16, 2015, 20:32 Alamar

Total-Khaos wrote on Mar 16, 2015, 20:24:
Quboid wrote on Mar 16, 2015, 20:16:
Does this [the basic game, no DLC] develop much after the slums? I've spent quite a few hours mostly doing side quests and enjoyed it but unless the gameplay develops in the main quest, I think I've had my fill.

Yes, the slums area was only half the game!

That's not what he asked...

The second half of the game plays much like the first, though some of the unlocked abilities make mass killing much easier (which is more fun)... The story continues, both good and bad...

But really, all you really need to know, is that the twins story line gets wrapped up... : )

News Comments > Fighting Cities: Skylines Piracy with Customer Support
17. Re: Fighting Cities: Skylines Piracy with Customer Support Mar 14, 2015, 22:01 Alamar

jdreyer wrote on Mar 14, 2015, 20:23:
I'm genuinely curious: how do you reconcile your hatred for censorship with your liberal use of the ignore function on Blues?

One is your own action, one is another person's action... People can justify their own actions all day long ; )

News Comments > Titanfall 2 Confirmed
24. Re: Titanfall 2 Confirmed Mar 13, 2015, 02:16 Alamar

robdot wrote on Mar 13, 2015, 01:07:
A simple question,,,,say,,15 to 20 years ago,,,would we have paid for games like ,,,,titanfall? Call of duty? Would we have paid for map packs to titanfall?

60 dollars for the game,,50 dollars for the ms account,,,then ,what,20 bucks for the next dlc? To play that?

No fucking way,,,the standard was half life ,quake,doom,,unreal,,etc...someone earlier said something about the low expectations of modern gamers and he was absolutely fucking right..

That's about what I paid for Phantasy Star III... Soooo ya...

News Comments > Free Avencast: Rise of the Mage
6. Re: Free Avencast: Rise of the Mage Mar 12, 2015, 23:13 Alamar

Ant wrote on Mar 12, 2015, 21:48:
Jivaro wrote on Mar 12, 2015, 21:41:
Hyatus wrote on Mar 12, 2015, 21:09:
FYI, this also requires you to login through facebook.

What? I didn't have to do that. I put in my email address and boom, key. I already have a Bundle Stars account though....maybe that is why.
It asked me to log into Facebook.

Ya, it's too bad... Game costs too much for me ; )

News Comments > Terraria: Otherworld Tower Defense Elements Revealed
10. Re: Terraria: Otherworld Tower Defense Elements Revealed Mar 11, 2015, 17:50 Alamar

The snippet Blue posted is neat, but there's so much more info in the link, and I likey... I know I'll anger some Bluesnewsians, but, I would totally pre-order and EA this title ; )

DrSquick wrote on Mar 11, 2015, 15:55:
I have a silly question - Minecraft with mods was one of my favorite games of all time. I really enjoyed Starbound, but I am totally lost in Terraria!

I see pictures of people with automated things, pools of honey to heal them, and every time I try to play I get stuck building some houses for the villagers and then don't know what to do next. Does anyone have any idea of what the next goals are supposed to be, or any good video tutorial series on it?

http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Terraria_Wiki has a list of areas with suggested order... If you want more, structured, help, there are plenty of video's... I haven't looked in years, but even then, it wasn't hard to find some intro or progression vids... A lot of the stuff you seem interested in is, not surprisingly, late game, so expect it to take some time.

News Comments > Descent Reboot Kickstarter
23. Re: Descent Reboot Kickstarter Mar 11, 2015, 02:09 Alamar

Krovven wrote on Mar 11, 2015, 01:16:
Okay, let’s get real. Yep, we’re booting this development from scratch. There’s a lot that can go wrong between funding and delivery of the game we’re promising. We could run dry on funds, lose key people, mistake our original goals, and/or just not deliver the level of quality we imagined.

Not really something you want to be putting as a disclaimer at the bottom of your pitch. But that's just me. This shows lack of confidence on their part and gives them an out for when they don't deliver on their pitch or add micro-transactions or go free-2-play later.

Conversely, the honesty is nice, and something I've seen asked for many a time, here and there.

News Comments > Source 2 Games Must Use Steam
38. Re: Source 2 Games Must Use Steam Mar 5, 2015, 20:11 Alamar

Krovven wrote on Mar 5, 2015, 18:33:
Slick wrote on Mar 5, 2015, 16:43:
not at launch, at least not that I've seen. most games launch with the same price on all platforms/stores.

Gotta disagree with that. Most games on PC that offer a digital preorder, generally offer a discount. GMG always has voucher codes available.

If you can't find a discounted digital preorder for PC versus the same game as on other platforms at release, then you are doing it wrong.

Coupons are another factor, which I assume he's taking into consideration. The point is both <insert new game> come out at 59.99 on Steam, and 59.99 on GMG... GMG is the obvious choice for anything available there, because of their near-constant 20%+ coupons, but the game is still listed at 59.99, and outside of GMG, all the other sites have it at that rate for months.

News Comments > Unity 5 Released
17. Re: Unity 5 Released Mar 3, 2015, 16:57 Alamar

RenownWolf wrote on Mar 3, 2015, 16:41:
This announcement though means the Pro version removes the splash screen (made with unity) and gives you some other added extras (Cache server, free Level 11 access (think PS+ or Xbox Live) and some other cloud stuffs). While the new "Personal" edition is free to use and includes all the previous Pro features (important things like Occlusion Culling, Profiler!!(why I went pro), render to texture for image effects and some other things).

I didn't realize this until you mentioned it, and that is pretty cool... Was considering holding off on upgrading from 4.6.x to 5, but this makes it more likely...

Not sure about the asset store level 11 being behind a pay wall though... Not using any asset store assets currently, but being locked out from any of those resources leaves a bad taste...

News Comments > Unity 5 Released
7. Re: Unity 5 Released Mar 3, 2015, 14:20 Alamar

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 3, 2015, 14:04:
Unity has plenty of support.

Ah, so is there no royalties with Unity? If so that is a 5% savings.

Also why UE4 changed the monthly was, people would subscribe for a month and then drop after the upgrade. Can you do that with Unity? Meaning basically Unity is $75, per upgrade you want and nothing more?

Unity free is free for commercial use until your company makes 100k in a year. Once that happens, you're required to have Unity Pro licenses ($1.5k per person, possibly plus other addons).

So at 99k sales, you owe almost 5k to Epic, 0 to Unity, but at 100k sales, you may owe more to Unity than Epic, but it's a one time thing. At 500k sales, you owe Epic 50k, but Unity nothing extra.

If you expect your project to make zero to very little money, you keep it all (minus distribution). If you're going to make mid range, with a small team, Unity is cheaper. If you're going to make mid with a larger team, U4E might be cheaper. If you're going to make a large amount of money, who the fuck cares; you're swimming in it, so send some all over heh : )

That all is just the math and finance of it... The reality is that they're close enough to not matter, so choose the better environment, which is hard to find out, because both have a lot more new-user information, asset stores, and helpful communities... In the end, competition is great : )

News Comments > Unreal Engine 4 Free
29. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Free Mar 2, 2015, 17:24 Alamar

Beamer wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 14:53:
Axis wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 14:42:
Ahh the sweet sound of capitalism and competition - thanks Unity!

Unity has nothing to do with this. Unity has made absolutely no dent in AAA games, which Unreal owns. It's made a big dent in mobile games, which UE4 isn't yet optimized for.

I think you're crazy... : )

Unity has made no dent in AAA games... Ok, I won't even argue that...

Do you think going from $19 to $0 a month is related to AAA games? Last I heard, those games had more than enough budget.

Now, Indie games... Which is where I would assume this change is being made for, Unity is all over...

News Comments > Pay for WoW Game Time with Game Gold
11. Re: Pay for WoW Game Time with Game Gold Mar 2, 2015, 17:14 Alamar

Wallshadows wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 16:27:
The problem with this being sold over the auction house rather than as a Blizzard service is that those like me who wish to pop in from time to time will still have to pay money in order to log in to buy a token with gold. It's not like 15$ will break me, it just seems self-defeating if you need to spend money to spend gold when you may not be interested in playing once your month is up and you either a) waste a token or b) your subscription lapses and you cannot log in to use your token at a later date. Maybe that's touched on in the FAQ though and I'll go over it later...

I doubt the prices will be unbearable though once they settle down and it'll be interesting to see how the market reacts to a token which can now put a figure on how much gold a month of time can cost in relation to the products being sold.

Make a new character, and throw gold to it, then buy a token from the AH... 3 months later, with an expired acct, log into that character (which you can do because it's 20 or under), and use the token... I don't know that this scenario works, but it'd be handy ; )

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 2, 2015, 14:56 Alamar

We have a big-ass four car sized driveway... And no snow blower... Which we refuse to buy, because shoveling is the only exercise I (previously we) get in the winter... Though this year, the wife has been doing most of it before I get up for work, so it's not working as well as I had planned...  

1885 Comments. 95 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo