Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Alamar

Real Name Alamar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 26, 2005, 15:11
Total Comments 1948 (Pro)
User ID 22996

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Jul 24, 2015, 11:29 Alamar

Didn't watch more than the first few minutes of the trailer, but now I want to see the movie ; )  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Bombshell Trailer
5. Re: Bombshell Trailer Jul 24, 2015, 11:23 Alamar

Didn't watch much, but it looks interesting enough that I'd try a demo...

Don't much care for the grenade 'finishing move' part though... Felt very out of place after blasting everything at range...

News Comments > Victor Vran Released
4. Re: Victor Vran Released Jul 24, 2015, 11:13 Alamar

"I hunt demons for a living"... WTF is Geralt doing hunting demons here?  

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Free DLC
18. Re: The Witcher 3 Free DLC Jul 22, 2015, 12:32 Alamar

What a bunch of fart smellers... I may have that backwards...

I have no interest in any of this DLC... New vanity shit does nothing for me. But even ignoring the consistent functional updates (that I do care about), they've made a very interesting/smart choice with pumping out all this mini shit ever few weeks... Keeps people talking about it, which is 'near free' marketing... Those on the fence, keep getting bombarded by new 'free content', making the purchase sound that much sweeter... And every thread has people talking about what a great game this was... That last part is pretty important I guess, otherwise, 17 or so reminders of a shitty game might not have such a positive effect ; )

News Comments > TotalBiscuit, Steam, and 30 FPS Lock-Blocking
2. Re: TotalBiscuit, Steam, and 30 FPS Lock-Blocking Jul 17, 2015, 10:21 Alamar

I never had any issues with this sort of thing until I switched to my new 'monitors' (50" TVs)... Now, anything less than near-60 bugs my eyes... I think that's more because TV quality isn't as high as monitor quality (hence the price gap). Outside of that, having 'grown up' with playing games without issue at anything over 15 fps, I always found the high fps requirements funny... : )  

News Comments > Path of Exile: The Awakening Launches
10. Re: Path of Exile: The Awakening Launches Jul 11, 2015, 12:10 Alamar

Frijoles wrote on Jul 11, 2015, 11:18:
dj LiTh wrote on Jul 11, 2015, 10:56:
I think it would of made a lot more people upset by not giving them a reset (something they do after every major patch) because of the vast changes to the passive tree, especially with the additions of jewels.

Oh I agree. They definitely should allow a reset. I just hate the idea of reassigning the whole thing and figuring out what has changed.

What they should do, is give you the reset, but show you where your points were previously...

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Witcher 3 Jul 9, 2015, 10:54 Alamar

Creston wrote on Jul 9, 2015, 10:25:
Alrighty, time for me to bite the bullet on the Witcher 3. Can someone with the GOG version explain to me how their patching works? Is it still download and apply individual patches? If so, I may go for the Steam version, as much as I'd rather get it from GOG to get them the most money.

Thanks

Galaxy == Steam...

News Comments > No Man's Sky Gameplay Video
6. Re: No Man's Sky Gameplay Video Jul 7, 2015, 12:26 Alamar

JoeNapalm wrote on Jul 7, 2015, 12:09:
Yeah, okay, open-ended is great...

...but what is there to do?

Exploration is awesome...

...if there's something to find.

The game looks interesting, but I'm not grokking the driving elements, I guess. I mean, in Minecraft, you explored to find awesome procedurally-generated environemtents...but ultimately because you needed more diamonds and redstone.

What's the hook?

-Jn-

Doesn't your comparing it to Minecraft (and it's lack of a push) answer your own question? The video stated you find shit, upgrade your shit, and can go further... Isn't that the same as diamonds and redstone?

News Comments > Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition Beta Announced
14. Re: Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition Beta Announced Jul 4, 2015, 16:39 Alamar

Man... I was happy with this announcement... And I still expect a far better product than what Minecraft currently is... But I knew I could come read the comments and question my game-hood... : )  

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
3. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Jul 4, 2015, 01:08 Alamar

Axis wrote on Jul 2, 2015, 19:10:
What in the hell is it with people who keep using "Mythos" in their game name.

Already doomed.

The pre-Torchlight game was also Mythos, wasn't it?

News Comments > The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing: Final Cut Announced
4. Re: The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing: Final Cut Announced Jul 2, 2015, 00:36 Alamar

Took me a while to force myself back to it to get through the first, but I didn't think it was a bad game...

I really like that they're not trying to screw over current customers, that have all three (as some other companies have done lately; Dark Souls II), but it'd be nice if there was a per title discount, much like Witcher 3 had on steam (5% off per previous Witcher title). Maybe that's moot though, as I'll likely not jump on it for years...

News Comments > Arkham Knight PC Fixes Prioritized
30. Re: Re: Arkham Knight PC Fixes Prioritized Jun 26, 2015, 15:04 Alamar

El Pit wrote on Jun 26, 2015, 13:39:
But saying that nobody who pirates a game would not buy it if he could not pirate it is bs, and you know that. It's what pirates say and their parrots.

Has anyone ever said that?

It's kind of 'meta' or 'inception' that you're putting words into others' mouths about words not being said...

People do enjoy their all-or-nothing stances though... And I thought Kajetan's non-exaggerated/non-extreme argument was sound.

In the end, it's piracy... There are no accurate numbers, for or against piracy, DRM, etc... It makes sense that it has an effect, both positive and negative on sales, but there are no 'sources' with real numbers because the information is not available, and won't be until all internet, LAN, street corner, flea-market, etc, traffic is logged...

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Jun 26, 2015, 14:02 Alamar

jacobvandy wrote on Jun 26, 2015, 12:51:
ldonyo wrote on Jun 26, 2015, 11:06:
Pre-orders and day 1 sales are not remotely similar. Pre-orders are from people that decided they're going to get a game on the first day and are willing to pay for it in advance of that game's release, sometimes over a year in advance. These pre-orders mean that a publisher can count that money before the game ever ships and gives them no incentive to make sure the game is playable on release day.

Pre-orders from retailers are not charged until you get your product, and pre-ordering on Steam is self-refundable until the moment it unlocks. So counting on that money and calling it a day is hardly prudent. Even after that, a game that was so egregiously broken on release was still refunded en masse by Steam, since BEFORE they implemented the 2-hour refund-for-any-reason policy. I believe that graduates the notion from "not prudent" to downright foolhardy.

To say a high volume of pre-orders gives them some extra breathing room, taking a little of the pressure off making sure everything is absolutely perfect for release, has some merit. But to say it absolves them of any further obligation, seriously? Avoiding the shit-storm that ensues upon releasing an even moderately ill-received product alone is PLENTY of incentive to remain on course and follow through.

Some people need to use absurd exaggerations to 'prove' their point, because it can't stand on it's own...

I have nothing against pre-orders... It's a tool, like many others, and it makes a lot of sense for some people. I pre-order 1-3 titles a year, though most of the time, it has been a 1 day pre-order... I stay away from the hype up to a point, then some games just really get me excited, and I want them NOW. I can't think of any that have 'blown up in my face', so I'll keep doing it this way : )

News Comments > Skyforge Trailer
1. Re: Skyforge Trailer Jun 25, 2015, 18:09 Alamar

This reminded me I got in the Beta this week... And meh... Not looking like something I'm going to put much more time into.  

News Comments > Project CARS 2 Announced
18. Re: Project CARS 2 Announced Jun 22, 2015, 18:09 Alamar

SpectralMeat wrote on Jun 22, 2015, 16:07:
nin wrote on Jun 22, 2015, 16:02:
Seriously, doesn't every studio do this?

No they don't. In my opinion a studio should make enough money off of a game to at least start a sequel. In order to do that they should have the game on the market for at least a year or more and support the shit out of it so people feel comfortable to support the studio.
What these guys do has the exact opposite effect on costumers.
Hey pay us $80 now so we can make a game that will be dropped the day it comes out so we can start working on a sequel or a totally different game.
But we promise we will support the game and release patches, really, pinky promise.
If the game doesn't make enough to start development on a sequel than well that game wasn't successful enough to grant a sequel.

Buyer be wary (sic), sure, and I know just about nothing about this game or studio, and the following is generic, and may not relate that well to this case, but...

If any studio needs to crowd fund their first game, so that they don't take money (or a significant portion) from a publisher, it means that the crowd is paying for the development of the project. If it isn't a huge success (in other words, sales over cost by a wide margin), they're not going to end up with a crap ton of cash afterwards, which means they'll be back in the same position...

This doesn't seem like a crazy cycle to me, because it's what most developers have had to go through, with publisher funding, for decades... They got enough from the publisher to stay afloat, and didn't recoup enough to not need a publisher next time...

News Comments > Fallout 4 Unfettered on PCs
17. Re: Fallout 4 Unfettered on PCs Jun 22, 2015, 16:04 Alamar

Fallout 4 will run at 30 FPS on EVERYTHING... That we, the gaming press, care about...  

News Comments > New NVIDIA Drivers
2. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Jun 22, 2015, 12:43 Alamar

Dagnamit wrote on Jun 22, 2015, 12:36:
hopefully this driver takes care of the driver crash issues of the last two updates. I had to roll back to 347 to stop the problems.

That would be nice... Every time it crashes, I have to unplug the HDMI from my TV to make it recognize the signal again... Not saying that part is an NVIDIA issue, as the TV is bitchy at other times, but it is consistent in that case, and annoying as shit ; )

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Jun 18, 2015, 22:04 Alamar

Cutter wrote on Jun 18, 2015, 20:44:
Anyone get ARK yet? Looks fun but most of the reviews lead me to believe it's still a hot mess atm.

A friend at work picked it up, to play with his other friend... They're enjoying it, but haven't put enough time in to really have much of an opinion...

Apparently you should take a mount before you create a base, at least on a PVP server, because your character/base stays in game, but inactive, if you log off, but your mount can still fight for you. Still sets up a scenario where you'll get your ass beat while offline, but making yourself not so easy pickings helps people choose other targets.

News Comments > Dark Souls III Announced
5. Re: Dark Souls III Announced Jun 15, 2015, 15:58 Alamar

I'm happy a third is being made, but I'm not sure about an early purchase this time around... Loved early DS2 with helping others and what not, but the DS2: Screw You edition leaves a bad taste in my mouth...

But if I'm not actively playing something when it hits, I'll likely jump on board anyways... Really unsure on the DLC situation too... Don't think I beat all the crown bosses yet... And never did finish BB either...

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Jun 9, 2015, 21:26 Alamar

Last day of the GOG sale... Everything back on sale for 24h...  

1948 Comments. 98 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo