Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Thomas Grimes

Real Name Thomas Grimes   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname SirKnight
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 14, 2005, 23:42
Total Comments 1143 (Pro)
User ID 22923

User comment history
< Newer [ 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ] Older >

News Comments > On Alan Wake 2 PC
4. Re: On Alan Wake 2 PC Jul 7, 2009, 20:11 SirKnight

Alan Wake HAS BALLS OF STEEL!  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 7, 2009, 14:01 SirKnight

What I'd like to know is who is the idiot that decided settling on the 16:9 ratio all of these new HD widescreen TVs are these days when movies are shot in an even wider asepct. So because of that we still get the black bars. Dumb.as.shit.

I always thought the point of a widescreen TV was to watch the movie the way it was shot and in theaters without the black bars we would get on the old square CRTs.

This comment was edited on Jul 7, 2009, 14:02.

News Comments > DiRT 2 Delayed for DirectX 11
16. Re: DiRT 2 Delayed for DirectX 11 Jul 6, 2009, 13:08 SirKnight

You folks do realize that all DX11 capabilities are fully compatible with DX10 cards and Windows Vista...

You're almost there. While DX11 will run fine on Vista, the new features will not run on DX10 cards, at least not fully. Tessellation is completely out, but others like the Compute Shader will partially run in hardware on DX10. It depends on what features you expose on there. Basically everything that can currently run on a DX10 card with CUDA will run in hardware with the CS. But there are new compute features that would run in software if you try to use them on a DX10 card.

It's interesting that you can actually just skip a DX10 backend and use DX11 instead. Using the "feature levels" of DX11 it'll run on DX10 hardware or DX11 hardware depending on which features are enabled. It's kind of funny that MS basically killed DX10 with this. There's no point in using DX10 now that DX11 runs in hardware on DX10 cards if DX10 level features are used.

News Comments > DiRT 2 Delayed for DirectX 11
14. Re: DiRT 2 Delayed for DirectX 11 Jul 6, 2009, 12:56 SirKnight

It won't. DX11 is, like DX10 only a marketing ploy to trick the early adopter in buying new, expensive hardware. DX11 is, like DX10, a maintenance update to DX9. Only a few minor new features, mostly optimizations. And like before with DX10, you have to use screenshot descriptions to explain to the customer, that this is teh new shit, he has to have. The times, when a new DX version or a new hardware generation was improving the graphics on a major scale, are over.

Not mentioning, that consoles are still using DX9 ... so, why bother?

Obviously you're not a developer so everything you said is not true at all. I've written many apps in DX9, DX10 and some in DX11 now. DX11, as well as 10, are not minor updates to 9. The API is VERY different. While 11 does refine on top of 10, the new features are not minor at all. But I don't expect a non-dev to really understand that.

About the question of why bother since consoles only do DX9...well it's pretty obvious really. Perhaps so the PC version can be unique in some way instead of being a simple port? If you can do something to make the game better why not do it? So what if it only benefits the PC. Each version of one game being exactly the same across all platforms is just pointless to begin with. It's better to take advantage of each platform to make it the best you can on there.

Plus, what good is all this new hardware if games are stuck in the past of 5 years ago (or more)?

It's nonsensical and just wrong to ask "why bother" if consoles can't do X or Y. Gaming is not just about consoles. That's just one part of it. Consoles are fine, I have every one of them, but I still greatly prefer the PC and I want my games to take full advantage of it like I would for any platform/hardware.

News Comments > Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood DLC Plans
6. Re: Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood DLC Plans Jul 5, 2009, 19:32 SirKnight

Does the DVD version of the game come with the editor? I have the STEAM version and I don't have it. They said recently in an interview the editor would come with the game. I have the DVD version of the first CoJ and the editor is there.  

News Comments > Quake Arena Arcade Screenshot
3. Re: Quake Arena Arcade Screenshot Jul 1, 2009, 23:14 SirKnight

Blue must be really excited about this!

Does this have single player with bots like the original? Although honestly, I can't see myself playing Quake Arena with a game pad.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - FUEL
5. Re: Ships Ahoy - FUEL Jun 30, 2009, 13:53 SirKnight

This game has been out for the consoles since the beginning of June.

It's the PC version that's just being released now.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
2. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jun 27, 2009, 15:13 SirKnight

The first set or two of cards that support a new API are always too slow to run the new features in any reasonable way to be use-able anyway.

A good example is Geometry Shader performance with the first set of cards. The NVIDIA G80 (8800 GTX/S) was horrible at Geometry Shader speed. The cards are JUST NOW fast enough to use them in any reasonable way.

The funny thing is DX10 was supposed to be all about efficiency. I see DX11 as refinement of DX10 and additional new features (tessellation, higher precision, render threads, Compute, etc...).

I hope tessellation ends up being a good thing. Programming it is a PITA IMO. Compute is awesome though.

News Comments > ARMA II Patch
12. Re: ARMA II Patch Jun 26, 2009, 14:32 SirKnight

However, it still has that slightly awkward feeling to the movement and environment interaction that every past game has had (not that I can't live with it!).

Yeah it's too bad they think this is realistic and how soldiers really move around. But I guess since their hardcore fan base actually like it somehow, they leave it in to not lose them. They would be in a world of shit if they lost their hardcore fan base.

News Comments > ARMA II Demo
27. Re: ARMA II Demo Jun 25, 2009, 15:10 SirKnight

Where's Slippery Jim when you need him?

No I will not take my penis out.

News Comments > ARMA II Demo
12. Re: ARMA II Demo Jun 25, 2009, 12:14 SirKnight

I for one thought CoD was just ok, incredibly over rated. I dug Stalker and Op Flash point.

I'm 100% with you there. CoD has some ok moments, but overall I think it's just meh. I loved OFP. I hated ArmA due to the crappy missions and the poor performance and constant crashing (that I still get!).

News Comments > EA Still Publishing Rage
6. Re: EA Still Publishing Rage Jun 25, 2009, 12:11 SirKnight

Don't be fooled. id's future games will still be 100% id games. Bethesda will have nothing to do with them. This was mainly a deal to secure funding for future games since id is adding a 3rd dev team to the company.  

News Comments > Valve Adds Novint Falcon Support
6. Re: Valve Adds Novint Falcon Support Jun 23, 2009, 19:56 SirKnight

http://www.videosift.com/video/PC-Game-Gun

Holy crap that's awesome! Just don't let your GF/Wife see you use something like that. LOL!

Something like that combined with TrackIR would be great for games like ArmA 2/OFP/etc...

That would actually make a good Military training tool. Use that with America's Army and you're good to go.

I do have to say that TrackIR is bad ass. I use it in Flight Sim X and ArmA (soon ArmA 2 probably). I haven't tried it in Dirt yet. If this Falcon game gun is the "TrackIR" for controllers that would be pretty cool.

News Comments > Duke Begins Revealed
10. Re: Duke Begins Revealed Jun 22, 2009, 13:59 SirKnight

To be released in 2050.

Correction, the BETA is to be released in 2050.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
1. Ballmer Jun 20, 2009, 17:40 SirKnight

DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS!!!!  

News Comments > ARMA II Patch
14. Re: Demo? Jun 20, 2009, 12:21 SirKnight

Slippery Jim is completely right. Which is too bad really. The fanboys you see on BIS's forums makes me sick TBH.

I do like the fixes in this latest patch though (not that I can try them out). Having multiple saves is a good addition as having one save in OFP and ArmA sucked. I just wonder if the HDR implementation is done any better in ArmA 2. In ArmA 1 is was such a horrible implementation.

There was a demo for ArmA 1 but it was a pretty crappy put together one. The ArmA 2 demo, which should be out next week, sounds to be a lot better since it'll be 2GB worth on content. Plus it comes with the editor so it does have a lot more value than every other game's demos at least. Then again, looking at BIS's track record with bugs that may not matter much.

News Comments > Gold - Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood
2. Re: Gold - Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood Jun 17, 2009, 20:59 SirKnight

I'll be downloading this off Steam as soon as it's released.  

News Comments > DNF Banking Shenanigans?
10. Re: DNF Banking Shenanigans? Jun 15, 2009, 20:26 SirKnight

I hope TT gets the code and data so some other developer that's competent can actually finish the damn game already.  

News Comments > ARMA II Interview
8. Re: ARMA II Interview May 30, 2009, 14:20 SirKnight

WTF no SLI??????

Very lame indeed. ArmA 1 didn't support it either. As a matter of fact, it would run SLOWER if you had SLI enabled. I would have thought SLI support would have been added by now.

It just gets more and more sad for BIS. When you look at not only the performance, but the bugs and poor implementations of things in ArmA 2 that has existed since OFP (or at least ArmA 1) it just makes one wonder wtf have they been doing all this time?

I'm still amazed how crappy ArmA 1 runs on my machine. I tried to play it yesterday with the just released CWR mod and even everything turned down to "normal" which looks like mush, the FPS were like Crysis on a Pentium 2. It's amazing that on this machine, I can run Crysis at 1680 res with everything at very high, with AA, and it runs perfectly smooth and Crysis is rendering just as much or more stuff.

Just sad.

News Comments > On ARMA II Bugs
20. Re: On ARMA II Bugs May 29, 2009, 00:35 SirKnight

No surprise AT ALL.

Even ArmA 1 with the latest 1.16 beta patch (and every other patch before it) still leaves the game so bugged out it's hard to play. The game loves crashing on me and gets worse when I try to make the game better by using user made addons. Plus the performance is horrible. I can play Crysis at 1680 res with everything MAXED and it runs perfect with large view distances and all. Not ArmA. Even with everything at "normal" setting it's still slow as crap. From what I've been hearing on the BIS forums, ArmA 2 is no better on performance. Again, not surprising.

I honestly don't expect much improvement with patches over time. In fact, I almost expect it to get worse as OFP and ArmA has been that way. At least for me.

I'll try a demo but if it doesn't wow me (I'm 99% it won't) then I'll pass and think about it again once it's like $20 or less and a lot of user mods have come out.

1143 Comments. 58 pages. Viewing page 45.
< Newer [ 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo