Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Thomas Grimes

Real Name Thomas Grimes   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname SirKnight
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 14, 2005, 23:42
Total Comments 1176 (Pro)
User ID 22923

User comment history
< Newer [ 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 5, 2011, 15:54 SirKnight

... with crappy controls.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Unlock RAGE Hi-Rez Textures
8. Re: Unlock RAGE Hi-Rez Textures Oct 5, 2011, 15:38 SirKnight

wtf_man wrote on Oct 5, 2011, 15:10:
Beamer wrote on Oct 5, 2011, 15:05:
Holy crap. People weren't kidding when they said that, in some areas, the textures looked like the 1990s.

Aye, "Teh Carmack" has fallen.

No. He has not even come close to fallen. He still has better graphics and programming ability than most. If more people could understand virtual texturing at a technical level they'd understand the issues here better. A lot of the graphical issues on the PC has to do with the drivers. Also, a lot of people just aren't upgrading their PCs as much and they think their several year old card is good enough. It's not. Even though it may be more powerful on paper than the 360/PS3, there's many barriers keeping a lot of the performance bottled up. Most of the crappy looking screenshots of Rage I am seeing come from people with old shitty hardware or horribly bugged drivers. For me, the game looks amazing.

Also, he said in a recent interview that it was a mistake trying to design the game around all platforms at the same time. Back when they started doing this game that made sense, but it no longer did shortly after. He said that from now on, they'll focus on the PC like in the past making it pure awesome and the console versions will be cut down from that. It was very nice to hear him say that and realize their design flaw talking about it publicly.

What we're really going to need is some kind of OpenGL extension or some type of programming model that will allow more direct memory access like the consoles have. On the console, to update the texture pages you can just do a simple memcpy() and it's done. On the PC you have to go through extra steps and API indirections (glTexSubImage2D, etc) which takes a lot more time creating page update lag.

News Comments > Unlock RAGE Hi-Rez Textures
6. Re: Unlock RAGE Hi-Rez Textures Oct 5, 2011, 15:22 SirKnight

the reason tweaking is necessary to force these texture improvements seems to be the result of errors in the auto-balancer that's supposed to handle this stuff automatically

Wow I'm so surprised! LOL! This is the thing I was saying yesterday (forget which site). That these auto detection things for video settings never works all that well. The best way is to have it where you can select prebuilt profiles (low, medium, high, ultra - for example) and also allow custom tweaking. This way you can tune it to look best for you while maintaining good performance. There are some aspects of graphics some people find more important than others so it's best to allow detailed tweaking.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization Oct 4, 2011, 23:09 SirKnight

That Apple presentation today was a huge disappointment. It seems I'm not alone in that. Most comments I read on just about every site that covered this said the same thing. Even their stock took a pretty decent nose dive.

The new iPhone is very late and this is all they have? A very minor update to the 4. Woooo. :/

I'm also very disappointed how the iPod touch is still the same. I was hoping for 128GB finally as my 64GB is getting quite low.

All the more reason to upgrade to the Galaxy S II it seems. I have the HTC Evo 4G now. What a slow ass phone, lol. It definitely was very much over hyped and Sprint's coverage SUUUUUUCKS. Yeah it's nice they give me unlimited data, but its about useless since I only sometimes have signal and it's crappy when I do.

News Comments > Take On Helicopters Preorder Beta
2. Re: Take On Helicopters Preorder Beta Oct 4, 2011, 23:02 SirKnight

I hope they allow pre-ordering on steam soon.  

News Comments > RAGE Interview
16. Re: RAGE Interview Oct 4, 2011, 22:58 SirKnight

I find the Ars review to be a crock of shit TBH. The game is quite cool and fun other than a few graphical issues that are driver bugs. It's definitely a lot better than Doom 3, and I liked Doom 3 quite a bit.

In my hour of playing so far, I've had 10000x more fun than the BF3 beta. I'm very glad I bought Rage.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 4, 2011, 11:32 SirKnight

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/f/12/t/97215.aspx

The main reason I was having xbox live issues yesterday. Lost $50 worth of points to some ahole hacker.

I think my password was known here because of the PSN hack where I used the same password. :/

News Comments > More id RAGE Midnight Madness
17. Re: More id RAGE Midnight Madness Oct 3, 2011, 22:26 SirKnight

Bumpy wrote on Oct 3, 2011, 22:19:
WTF?! No video options in a PC game from id, Carmack you've fallen so hard from your pinnacle.

So he created this awesome virtual texturing technology that allows artists complete freedom in painting the virtual world - giving detail in resource constrained environments that normally is not possible, something no one else has even come close to doing and just because they did not add complex graphics options (not even up to Carmack anyway) suddenly he has fallen? Uh...ooook.

Carmack only does the very core render programming these days. They have so many programmers now that he is no longer responsible for most of the code like in the old days.

News Comments > More id RAGE Midnight Madness
2. Re: More id RAGE Midnight Madness Oct 3, 2011, 21:09 SirKnight

OMG they're going to be at GameStop...those BASTARDS! They should be skinned alive for such treachery. Heathens I say!

LOL!

I don't like the idea of the engine figuring out the settings for me. This has NEVER worked well in the past with every game that tries to do this. I can almost always run at MUCH higher settings than the game detects.

Of course, this is an id engine so it will have cfg files and the drop down console. So it's all good.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
21. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 3, 2011, 19:34 SirKnight

MisterBenn wrote on Oct 3, 2011, 11:23:
I put it alongside 95 and XP as one of the best versions we've had.

95 was shit. Sure it looked nicer than 3.11 but it was the most crash prone POS I have ever used. Vista was WAY better than that 95 turd.

98 SE was A LOT better than 95.

While 7 is obviously a lot better than Vista, I didn't have all that many problems with Vista really. Windows 7 basically IS Vista but with good drivers.

I miss 2k. I didn't get to use it a whole lot but when I did it was awesome.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
9. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 3, 2011, 13:01 SirKnight

Ok, I'm glad it's not just me.

Hopefully it's not a PSN-style breach or anything.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 3, 2011, 12:38 SirKnight

Is anyone else seeing a problem with Live? I turned on my 360 and it wont let me log into my live account. I seem to be having problems going to live.xbox.com as well.  

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
3. Re: Sunday Consolidation Oct 2, 2011, 16:00 SirKnight

Estimate age from a body scan? Oh yeah...that's going to go over real well.  

News Comments > John Carmack at Mesquite Midnight RAGE Release
19. Re: John Carmack at Mesquite Midnight RAGE Release Oct 1, 2011, 19:35 SirKnight

Cutter wrote on Oct 1, 2011, 18:16:
beigemore wrote on Oct 1, 2011, 18:15:
Cutter wrote on Oct 1, 2011, 18:11:
Allow me to respond on your level...I know you are, but what am I?

Are you one of those terrorist loving freedom haters?

You troll-baiters can fuckoff and die anytime now, kthnx.

umadbro? lol

This comment was edited on Oct 1, 2011, 19:52.

News Comments > Project "Pathfinder" Revealed; Duke Nukem Reloaded Screenshots
2. Re: Project "Pathfinder" Revealed; Duke Nukem Reloaded Screenshots Sep 30, 2011, 23:50 SirKnight

It's amazing how much better this looks than DNF which has been in the works for FAR longer by FAR more people. Sad and funny at the same time.  

News Comments > Planned Battlefield 3 Changes
18. Re: Planned Battlefield 3 Changes Sep 30, 2011, 23:40 SirKnight

To me this game feels too fast paced. Kinda CoD like. But, I played the beta right after playing Splinter Cell so I guess everything would feel fast after that, hah. But basically this is CoD with better graphics, like I figured.

Then it crashed. lol

I can't tell you how many times I was killed because I was trying to bind my keys. :/

So yeah, I don't see me paying $60. Plus I don't like to have to use Origin. I prefer to have all my games launch from Steam (the key thing here is ONE central place) even if they are not Steam games. I also don't like using a browser for the server list. I'd prefer either in-game server list or a program like Gamespy/Kali used to be. Just not a web browser.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Re: Evening Consolidation Sep 29, 2011, 21:29 SirKnight

They better bring Christopher Lambert back for Raiden.  

News Comments > BF3 Open Beta Begins
65. Re: BF3 Open Beta Begins Sep 29, 2011, 16:21 SirKnight

I miss Gamespy and Kali.  

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Into the Black Sep 28, 2011, 22:13 SirKnight

Hey it's the 70s! Far out!  

News Comments > Duke Nukem 3D: Reloaded on Hold
28. Re: Duke Nukem 3D: Reloaded on Hold Sep 27, 2011, 18:50 SirKnight

Perhaps they could just rename it to Luke Fookem. lol  

1176 Comments. 59 pages. Viewing page 28.
< Newer [ 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo