Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Thomas Grimes

Real Name Thomas Grimes   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname SirKnight
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 14, 2005, 23:42
Total Comments 1172 (Pro)
User ID 22923

User comment history
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

News Comments > New Command & Conquer to Eventually Add Red Alert, Tiberium
9. Re: New Command & Conquer to Eventually Add Red Alert, Tiberium Feb 25, 2013, 20:17 SirKnight

Optional nickname wrote on Feb 25, 2013, 17:47:
if this 'new' CNC is getting in the way of getting us Generals2 for spring of 2013, then kill me now.

From the IGN link:

The new Command & Conquer -- formerly known as C&C: Generals 2 -- is real, and we've played it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
1. Re: Office Depot and OfficeMax to Merge Feb 23, 2013, 12:18 SirKnight

So what are they going to be called now? Office Depot to the Max?  

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: Aaron Paul Talks "Need For Speed" Film… Feb 22, 2013, 15:43 SirKnight

They should get the dude from the FMV of the first game (3DO version is what I'm thinking). lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb1eE9nzxOY

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
45. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 20, 2013, 23:45 SirKnight

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 20:14:
zombiefan wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 20:11:
8 cores, high-end GPU, cutting edge graphics....sounds like they're just describing what we already have on the PC.

Sounds like dev and porting should be a breeze. What needs to happen is all three platforms come up with a standardized OS for all. The PC would then be the console w k/m and user controlled upgrade path. The rumors look to be true, stating high-end GPU would be pushing it, it was very mediocre from what I recall.

Yeah, not a high end GPU at all. It's capable of ~1.8 TFLOPS. Which in NVIDIA land would be a 660. The 680 pushes 3TFLOPS, which IS high end. Too bad they didn't put a 680 in there. :/ So this means, yet AGAIN, it's already outdated to my PC long before it comes out.

But, at least we'll be getting PC games with graphics that actually use the current GPUs well...for a little while. Of course, this will once again change shortly as PC GPUs advance so fast.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Crysis 3; Review Roundup
10. Re: Ships Ahoy - Crysis 3; Review Roundup Feb 19, 2013, 23:28 SirKnight

Crysis 2 for me was just a graphical showcase. The gameplay was pure crap. Crysis 1 (before the aliens) was quite good.

I played the MP beta once for Crysis 3 and it just didn't feel right. The controls felt slow and sluggish and it was obviously a "CoD me-too" kind of game. If the SP is anything like Crysis 2, I'll pass.

I also don't like what I'm hearing about the SP being so short. I forget the exact time it took me to beat Crysis 1, but it was very long I remember. Probably several times what Crysis 3 is reporting to be.

News Comments > Far Cry 3 New Feature Plans
3. Re: Far Cry 3 New Feature Plans Feb 18, 2013, 21:54 SirKnight

Good to see the ability to re-take outposts (as long as it's not like the checkpoint areas in FC2, that was lame). That was one of my fav things to do in FC3. A harder difficulty level is much welcome too.  

News Comments > Half-Life Update Causing Mod Issues?
4. Re: Half-Life Update Causing Mod Issues? Feb 17, 2013, 21:57 SirKnight

I noticed HL for linux uses different models and textures for the characters. I liked the originals better (despite the fact that they are chunkier and less detailed).  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Doom - Pinky Demon Blocks the Exit - Photoshop Speed Art. Feb 17, 2013, 21:55 SirKnight

That's what Doom 4 should be like. The old Dooms with modern graphics.

Instead it's probably going to be a Doom-ish mod for Rage basically. The old style level design and gameplay is gone, unfortunately.

News Comments > Steam for Linux Leaves Beta
15. Re: Steam for Linux Leaves Beta Feb 14, 2013, 16:01 SirKnight

Beelzebud wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 15:58:
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/nonfree-games.html

However, if you're going to use these games, you're better off using them on GNU/Linux rather than on Microsoft Windows. At least you avoid the harm to your freedom that Windows would do.

Thus, in direct practical terms, this development can do both harm and good. It might encourage GNU/Linux users to install these games, and it might encourage users of the games to replace Windows with GNU/Linux. My guess is that the direct good effect will be bigger than the direct harm.

I don't think you'll ever see him using it, or telling people to use it, but he's pretty clear that it isn't an entirely negative thing to have, and actually will do more good than bad.

Yeah he says it's better IF you're going to do it anyway, but this does not mean he thinks it's a good thing in general.

13. Re: Steam for Linux Leaves Beta Feb 14, 2013, 15:58 SirKnight

Optional Nickname! wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 15:18:
I thought Linux was the choice OS of those wishing to avoid DRM, closed systems and proprietary software.

What's next for Ubuntu, the Metro interface? Oh wait...

It is, but there is no law that says you can not use proprietary software with linux. The NVIDIA linux driver is closed and not free and many people are fine with that because it allows full acceleration and features that the free drivers do not have.

I like the idea of free software and will use it if I see fit, but I also see the need for non-free software and I have no issues using it. Stallman on the other hand would probably kill himself before using non-free software.

10. Re: Steam for Linux Leaves Beta Feb 14, 2013, 15:52 SirKnight

Panickd wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 15:48:
Beelzebud wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 15:31:
Even Richard Stallman (creator of GNU and the Free Software Foundation) has said that Steam on Linux is a good thing.

I'm going to need a link to back that up because that sounds like pretty much the polar opposite of what Stallman stands for and pretty much anything he's ever said.

Yeah I don't see how Stallman would approve of Steam at all. Now if Steam was "Free Software" and distributed only "Free Software" then he would be all hot and bothered by it.

News Comments > PC Brütal Legend Nears
2. Re: PC Brütal Legend Nears Feb 13, 2013, 16:01 SirKnight

This game was pretty fun on the 360. It's been a long time since I last played it.  

News Comments > System Shock 2 on GOG.com Tomorrow
11. Re: System Shock 2 on GOG.com Tomorrow Feb 13, 2013, 11:47 SirKnight

I remember SS2, but I don't think I ever played it. It looks pretty interesting.

I just noticed GOG has Diakatana now. LOL!

1. Re: Games without demos sell better on Xbox 360. Feb 11, 2013, 23:10 SirKnight

"You mean we spent all this money making a demo and getting it out there, and it cut our sales in half?" said Schell, paraphrasing the hypothetical publisher looking at these figures. "Yes, that's exactly what happened to you."

Yeah the sales get cut in half because people find out from the demo that the game sucks.

"People see the trailer and they're like 'that's cool!' and they made a plan. 'I gotta try that game!'" explained Schell. "And then when they play the demo [and they think] 'alright I've tried that game. That was cool. I'm done.' But the things with no demo, you've got to buy it if you want to try it."

No, they did not buy the full game because they think "I did it I'm done." They did not buy it from previously, the demo showed the game sucked balls.

How about making a game that's worth a shit? No we can't do that, doing that takes time and real effort and makes no money.

2. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 8, 2013, 21:07 SirKnight

whoops  

1. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 8, 2013, 21:06 SirKnight

I loved the Dreamcast. There's still a number of games for it I always wanted that I never bought. Time to hit ebay, like I was doing recently for Sega CD games.  

News Comments > Valve/J.J. Abrams Collaboration? Half-Life or Portal Movie?
3. Re: Valve/J.J. Abrams Collaboration? Half-Life or Portal Movie? Feb 6, 2013, 15:26 SirKnight

I think a HL movie could be pretty cool. The fan made HL movie shorts released in the past few years were pretty good.  

News Comments > John Carmack On Linux Gaming Support
2. Re: John Carmack On Linux Gaming Support Feb 6, 2013, 09:28 SirKnight

Yeah. It's sad to see id become Zenimax's bitch. It's bad enough they no longer give a crap about PC any more.

id used to be my fav developer by far, now I barely even care. For me, that position is now Valve.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: PlayStation Home Arcade Released for PlayStation Vita. Feb 5, 2013, 23:43 SirKnight

Ever since the latest Vita update, the PS store is REALLY slow to load anything and trying to download stuff, like this home arcade thing, ends in an error (after waiting forever).

Good job Sony. Still the kings of creating horrible software.

News Comments > Commander Keen Successor Kickstarter
17. Re: Commander Keen Successor Kickstarter Feb 5, 2013, 00:20 SirKnight

YES!

<3 Keen.

1172 Comments. 59 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo