Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ratty

Real Name Ratty   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ratty
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 11, 2005, 20:15
Total Comments 1111 (Pro)
User ID 22908

User comment history
< Newer [ 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Q&As
7. Re: *blink* Aug 19, 2006, 12:40 Ratty

Did John Carmack just said that id basically needs to start producing CONTENT, rather than pretty tech demos?
Ha ha. No such luck. He's saying id will have to start producing content SOMEDAY soon, but for now knock your socks off graphics is still the most important aspect of a computer game and content still doesn't matter all that much in comparison.

The guy's intelligent so when he continues to say things like that and his company continues to produce titles like Doom 3, which sold incredibly well, I start feeling like there's something wrong with ME. Like there's something I just don't get but everybody else does.

Maybe I'm getting old and cranky and too attached to the way they did things In My Day, I don't know. Went to the eye doctor yesterday and he prescribed ... *GASP* ... BIFOCALS!!!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Squirrel attacks Aug 13, 2006, 15:31 Ratty

Oh great. Just waiting now for all the squirrel-haters here to come out of the woodwork with their "I told you so's" and new methods for slaughtering the innocent creatures.

News Comments > Prey Patch, Content Plans
24. Re: ... Aug 12, 2006, 13:22 Ratty

without mutants, without aliens, without zombies, without crazy sci-fi weapons, without cliched ultra-bad guys and set in the modern day (not another WWII shooter)?
See, I complain about the opposite. There's just too damn many realistic shooters nowdays and not enough fantasy scifi ones. If I see one more realistic WWII title from an Eastern European developer I will scream. RTCW was good cause it had zombies and futuristic weapons and shit. But things like Medal of Honor, Soldier of Fortune and their ilk hold absolutely no interest for me. I play games to escape from reality.

22. Vicodin Aug 9, 2006, 12:34 Ratty

Vicodin, oh YEAH. Great stuff. I never take drugs so when I got the vicodin after my surgery it was pretty novel for me. Loved it. LOVED ... IT. I wasn't in a lot of pain but it made me feel good and more importantly let me sleep most of the day away and the night too. It's a good drug because it's not too much but not too little either. Juuuust right.

36. Re: HL? Aug 1, 2006, 15:23 Ratty

I think Batman Begins was the best of all the recent Batman movies ... Saw Catwoman last night ...
You motivated me to go update my queue which has been getting pretty stale lately.

20. Re: HL? Aug 1, 2006, 13:38 Ratty

Well, first you had that you were questioning Val Kilmer as Batman, then you edited and changed it to Michael Keaton.
I guess I should know better than to put one over on xXBatmanXx. I was confused. Both actors were surprising choices to play Batman I thought, but I remember thinking specifically Michael Keaton? Betelgeuse? WTF?
Michael Keaton: Great Batman, horrid Wayne.
I never thought about that, but you're 100% correct. He was an awesome Batman. I remember Val Kilmer's Bruce Wayne but now can't recall what I thought of his Batman.

And another edit cause I just realized Clooney seemed a natural to play Batman as I recall, but turned out he was the WORST one of them all (I never saw the Christian Bale one). Anyway, I now keep an open mind about odd casting decisions nowdays cause I'm so often surprised.

This comment was edited on Aug 1, 13:43.

17. Re: HL? Aug 1, 2006, 12:54 Ratty

Heath Ledger as the joker?
I said the same thing about Michael Keaton as Batman??!! But I thought he did a pretty good job, a surprisingly appropriate cast. On the surface Ledger seems like an insane choice too (my reaction was the same as yours), but the man is a scary talented actor so I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

This comment was edited on Aug 1, 12:59.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Love Colbert Aug 1, 2006, 12:48 Ratty

Very funny guy and ballsy too. I'm a huge fan of Wikipedia as well. In fact I'm addicted to it! I keep a small pad of paper in my pocket to jot down things I want to look up later because I was always forgetting. Currently I have "Control theory" jotted down. Somebody should do an article on Wikipedia addicts.

22. Top 20 Jul 31, 2006, 12:43 Ratty

Ha! Thought that said top 20 Greatest Video Game Characters. Didn't look closely enough before I clicked the link.

This comment was edited on Jul 31, 12:44.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Social network sites face US ban. Jul 31, 2006, 12:31 Ratty

Infuriating. "Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children!" I'm getting pretty sick of hearing that. My 12-year old niece loves MySpace and she's always sharing the latest things she's done with me. She's precocious, creative, and SCARY smart. She knows all about online predators. Her mother has done her job. This is one of those purely political moves. Politicians who know better don't dare vote against protecting children.
Anybody's kid that's stupid enough to go alone to meet someone from the internet, or even go at all deserves what they get if it's a predator at the other end.
Well, I don't know about DESERVE it, but I'd say anybody who's kid would go alone to meet somebody on the internet will probably find some way to do it even without access to the most popular in-the-news "social networking site" du jour. They're going to have to ban the entire internet to keep kids 100% safe from online predators, won't they?

Number of molestations this law will prevent: 0.

This comment was edited on Jul 31, 12:32.

8. Re: More proof I was right Jul 29, 2006, 13:08 Ratty

I find it difficult to beleive thats verbatim and not the NY press looking for retribution on Gibson and Dad
Agreed.
I know he's a lunatic
Double agreed. What we need is a video tape. Don't cops have cameras mounted in their cars nowdays? What a juicy scandal that would be.

News Comments > Evening Q&A
8. Strife Jul 25, 2006, 12:48 Ratty

Who else remembers Strife? I LOVED that game. But it was a weird one. It used the Doom engine but was released years after Doom so the tech was extremely outdated. It may have even been released after Quake. I think it was. I can completely understand Romero's comments: great game but he wasn't happy with the development. Probably has something to do with how long it took to get out the door.

16. Re: No subject Jul 25, 2006, 12:33 Ratty

but if the cop asks your name just give it, picking fights with cops always, always leads to more trouble.
I was told a long long time ago that you are always legally required to provide identification to the police if they ask for it. No exceptions. You don't provide it and they can legally arrest you. I know nothing about the law so I don't know if that's actually true in California, but I have always believed it was.
I believe the Supreme Court ruled this year that when an officer asks you your name - you must give them an answer
I'd be interested in knowing more about this. I thought this was the case for at least a decade.

This comment was edited on Jul 25, 12:36.

13. Re: Mac Ads Jul 21, 2006, 13:55 Ratty

Well, Blue is due to get another coffee grinder Any Day Now..
Oh BOY! I can't wait!! Do you think it'll be tomorrow?? Will it be a quiet grinder or a loud one? Will he need to shake it vigorously to get a fine grind or do you think it'll be sophisticated enough to do a really fine grind by itself? Is he going to save the old grinder for spices and just use the new one for coffee? Will it motivate him to buy a new coffee maker do you think? God, I'm going crazy with curiosity!

8. Re: Mac Ads Jul 21, 2006, 12:13 Ratty

Here's how I feel about those stupid "Mac vs. PC" ads
Bravo! I hate that ad worth a passion. Years ago I saw this tech show on TV that had a regular segment on cool Mac culture. The host was a similarly hip, superior, smarmy guy that I just wanted to strangle. In the segment I saw, he compared different tech sorts of things and told us which ones Mac users would use. Which watch Mac users would wear. What music they would listen to. Example: WordPerfect vs. MS Word. MS Word is the only choice for Mac users because WordPerfect is soooo PC. God I wanted to smack him through my TV set.

My question is, do even hardcore Mac users actually like those ads?

And PS. Getting kind of tired of the pothole stories. Makes me long for the good old days of refrigerator lightbulbs.

40. Re: Holy crap Jul 18, 2006, 15:46 Ratty

That woman is Angela Merkel, the Chancellor of Germany. Bush comes up behind her and starts rubbing her neck and shoulders. It looks to me like she kind of freaks--startled, offended and disgusted. Though I could be projecting my own reaction there, I think there's room for debate. The liberal bloggers are all over it but it does seem pretty damn bizarre to me. I mean you just don't come up and do that to the female leader of another country at a formal gathering, right? The blogs are all over his creepy blank expression. The claim is he is drunk off his ass, though I don't personally see that. I see something but I can't figure out what the hell it is. It could be they've developed some kind of rapport out of the public eye and his "groping" really was the harmless joke some people claim. I hope to god that's the case. I mean her platform was closer ties with the US, isn't that right? She likes Bush.

Still, that looks like disgust to me. I could be wrong.

Translation and clearer photos here:

http://www.taylormarsh.com/archives_view.php?id=24262

And yeah, all the screaming and raging about Bush's open mike comments are pretty over the top. Who cares? He said "shit." Big fucking hairy deal.

This comment was edited on Jul 18, 15:54.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - WarPath
7. Re: No demo no purchase Jul 18, 2006, 15:06 Ratty

Reminds me of something I read awhile back where they said the most frequently used button on an average flash site: "skip intro"...
I think that's what makes this site so particularly bad. It's ALL flash as far as I can tell. Not just an intro.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - WarPath
3. No demo no purchase Jul 18, 2006, 14:05 Ratty

Worst flash-only powered site I've seen so far.

22. Holy crap Jul 18, 2006, 13:06 Ratty

Off topic but I gotta post. It's just too gross and scary and bizarre. I'm ascared.

http://www.bild.t-online.de/BTO/news/aktuell/2006/07/18/merkel-bush-liebes-attacke/merkel-bush-liebes-attacke.html

15. Re: LCD Insight Jul 18, 2006, 11:58 Ratty

how good are LCDs at interpolating for lower resolutions? Is the blurring tolerable or unbearable?
In my opinion they're better than CRTs. As you lower the resolution on CRTs the scan lines become bigger and more noticeable. On LCDs things get fuzzier, but no scan lines! Personally I prefer the latter. I really hate scan lines. This depends on a lot of factors though. If you're watching something or playing a game at 1280 x 1024 on a CRT, you won't really notice the lines unless your monitor is huge. If you're on an LCD whose native resolution is 1600 x 1200, then 1280 x 1024 will look much worse than on a CRT.

My story is I bought a 21" LCD monitor and the native resolution of 1600 x 1200 is too high to play many of the latest games unless I want to invest in an SLI solution, which I don't. I wish, frankly, that I'd gotten a 19" instead so I could play things at 1280 x 1024. For example, I'm playing Oblivion at 800 x 600 since it's exactly half of 1600 x 1200--things are much less blurry since there's a 1 to 1 mapping between the old resolution and the new one. Now, my system is powerful enough to play it at 1024 x 768, or even 1280 x 1024 but since that's not a linear transformation it looks blurrier and worse than at 800 x 600. My good pal Zathrus, right below me, reminded me of this fact.

The large screen is nice but it takes a much more powerful computer to play everything at its native resolution. I wish I'd gotten a 19 incher.

This comment was edited on Jul 18, 12:00.

1111 Comments. 56 pages. Viewing page 42.
< Newer [ 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo