Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ratty

Real Name Ratty   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ratty
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 11, 2005, 20:15
Total Comments 1129 (Pro)
User ID 22908

User comment history
< Newer [ 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ] Older >

News Comments > Oblivion Expansion Denial
6. Re: No subject Sep 13, 2006, 12:42 Ratty

I haven't and will never buy those $2 piece of craps you call mods
Same here, and I've been a fan since Arena. And it has nothing to do with being outraged over being charged or anything--I have no problem with that. I simply don't feel like taking out a game I finished months earlier to play some piddly 30 minute piece of crap, then putting it all away again. I enjoy investing time in a game and becoming immersed in it. That takes a lot more than 30 minutes.

Still, I'm more hopeful now than I have been. "No announced plans" is quite different than the "no plans" line they've been giving up until now. "No plans" was so absolute. The announced part still leaves room for possibilities.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
10. Re: New AI Chip Sep 6, 2006, 15:14 Ratty

The problem is that developers would have to support systems with and without the chip. I don't think this is *too* much of a problem with physics but AI goes to the very core of the gameplay. I think you'd end up practically designing two separate games, a difficulty geared to "stupid" AI and a different difficulty for the smart and crafty variety.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
10. Re: Image Labeler Sep 2, 2006, 15:00 Ratty

I guess I was unlucky. The first one was a seismograph tracing. As a postage stamp sized thumbnail it was just a brown square with vague lines. I thought it might be and ancient manuscript or old sheet music at first.

http://tinyurl.com/fl6gy (thumbnail)
http://tinyurl.com/ewaap (full-sized)

The second one was a map, but again it wasn't really possible to tell with just a thumbnail. If they were all like the seagull on the image labeler homepage then, yes, that'd be fine.

So why don't they let you click on it to see a larger image anyway? What's the purpose of not letting you? I don't get it. Seems like a nobrainer.

Decided to try a couple more. How would you label these?

http://www.google.com/images?q=tbn:ng4sEstvMukJ:www.google.com
http://www.google.com/images?q=tbn:92TgyzkC468J:www.google.com

Might be able to come up with something if only they were just a *little* bigger? So you're telling me the size is just fine?

This comment was edited on Sep 2, 15:14.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
8. Re: Image Labeler Sep 2, 2006, 13:15 Ratty

VERY good idea but the images are displayed so fucking small
Exactly. Something's wrong I think. I gave up after two images. When you pass on an image because it's too small and you can't tell what it is, you see the previous image on the left and you can click on it and eventually see the full-size image. If there really is no way to see a larger image when you're labelling then I don't get how this is supposed to work. I'm using Firefox with Flash turned off like always. Maybe there's a flash component or something else incompatible with my browser.

I think it's a good idea in principle too. Completely random partners. Only when they use the same label is it likely to be a good one and not random vandalism.

This comment was edited on Sep 2, 13:16.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
4. Re Browzar Sep 1, 2006, 14:53 Ratty

At first I thought that clearing the cache, history and all of that made something like Browzar unnecessary. But then I realized sometimes I want to visit someplace without leaving a footprint, but I didn't want to clear my history, autocomplete, and all of that just to do it.

Which made me think of a nifty potential Firefox extension. Suppose you could click a button to initiate private surfing. While active you could visit anyplace you wanted and when you were done you could turn it off. Then all of the cookies, cache, history and whatnot just for that session would be deleted, but everything else would remain intact.

News Comments > 3DR/DNF Rumors Follow-up
13. No subject Aug 31, 2006, 12:46 Ratty

I love dirt like this first thing in the morning. George compared Shacknews to BitchX in his snarky post. As I recall BitchX was pretty damn accurate on the things they reported.

News Comments > UT2007 Demo Plans
22. Re: wtf Aug 29, 2006, 18:51 Ratty

and the assault mode as almost as good as the one for the original UT.
I'm glad you stuck that "almost" in there. The thing I dislike most about the new Assault is the way the defending team teleports to the next objective as soon as the attacking team beats the previous objective. I don't know if this happens in all the assault maps, I barely played any of them, but in the ones I remember that's what happened. In the old days we had to haul our own asses to the next assault point before the attacking team got there and that's the way we LIKED it!

News Comments > UT2007 Demo Plans
19. Re: wtf Aug 29, 2006, 13:45 Ratty

I liked the original also, then they sped it up and made it more like Quake for the second one.

Bought UT2K3, was bitterly disappointed. Saw UT2K4 was pretty much the same thing except with vehicles and decided not to buy it but did anyway (for the editor and all the great mods I told myself). Bitterly disappointed and pissed at myself for caving in.

Won't make the same mistake with this version. Though I will try out the demo to see just how bad it's gotten. They mentioned they were going to make it more like the original UT but they said that with UT2K4. And besides the videos I've seen say otherwise.

I still play the original UT.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Google, UC disclose book-scan terms Aug 29, 2006, 13:32 Ratty

Funny, we just had a huge meeting here (UC Berkeley) discussing all of this. Pretty interesting and exciting stuff,
all the politicking and PR crap that goes on. My involvement so far is quite peripheral. Just a tiny bit of programming to support the QA process. I feel like I'm missing out on a piece of history.

News Comments > EA and Crytek?
41. Sniff Aug 27, 2006, 14:26 Ratty

The bitter cynicism on this board brings a tear to my eye. You guys are all swell.

News Comments > Morning Previews
9. Re: Crysis Aug 26, 2006, 14:55 Ratty

The videos that came out around E3 were all in third person and gameplay reminded me of PS1 games.
First person has autoaim.
Well crap.

Made first and foremost for consoles with PCs only a grudging afterthought. I get it. Actually when I first heard about Hellgate London I was surprised, seeing as it was coming from ex-Blizzard guys, that it was in first person and that it would be available on the PC. Blizzard has never been first person to my knowledge and toward the end they were talking more and more about going console-only.

I just read about what Crytek did to bring Far Cry to the console. They basically redesigned a huge part of the game. Hell, that's the way to do it, whether you're starting with a console or starting with a PC. I really respect that. Not that a lot of companies are in a position to be able to do that nowdays.

Still crossing my fingers about Bioshock ...

5. Re: Crysis Aug 25, 2006, 17:27 Ratty

Hellgate looks like utter crap to me (which pains me to say, there are few games that sounded better on paper)
I'm a little bit worried too because I've been hearing what you're saying more than once. It started out sounding like the most incredible game in the universe but as more information has come out it's sounding less and less.

I HEAR that but I haven't actually seen anything that suggests it myself. But then again I have no interest in multiplayer, maybe (hopefully) THAT'S what people are complaining about and the SP game will still be great.

3. Re: Crysis Aug 25, 2006, 14:43 Ratty

OMG, I can't believe I forgot to put that one on my list. 4 games now. Yay!

1. Crysis Aug 25, 2006, 13:42 Ratty

Wow, I haven't seen those screenshots before. All the hysteria over visuals aside, it looks like a really fun game. More of the stuff that made Far Cry so great. What designer was it that said "nobody likes to run around large levels?" Well, I sure do! I can add Crysis to the short list of games that I'm actually looking forward to:

• Bioshock (!!!!!!!!!!)
  • Hellgate London (!!!!)
  • F.E.A.R. Extraction Point
  • Crysis

• Incidently I *finally* played all the way through Far Cry without cheating for the first time this week. I hadn't played it for over a year so decided to fire it up again. I'd always given up at the very beginning of the last level "Volcano." Could NEVER get past that first gauntlet of mercs in the small room with the pillars. But managed to do it for the first time a couple of days ago.

This comment was edited on Aug 25, 14:43.

News Comments > Penny Arcade Game
    23. Re: No subject Aug 25, 2006, 13:25 Ratty

I really can't see how this could be good.
    I like PA but I think ANYONE could see this is a really STUPID idea. It's so obviously bad that it leads me to think somebody came up with a really good idea for the game and it will be merely branded as PA. I.e., it was the description of the story and gameplay that convinced Hothead Games and not just the Penny Arcade name.

Sure, they're not always funny. What is? But man I've seen some hilarious comics come from them. I wish them all the luck.

News Comments > Evening Q&As
    4. American Magee Aug 23, 2006, 14:52 Ratty

God, I'd never seen a picture of him before. Doesn't he look like that Jon Benet Ramsey guy they arrested in Thailand?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
    16. Re: History treasure trove online Aug 22, 2006, 13:28 Ratty

www.calisphere.universityofcalifornia.edu
    Hey! The press release. My job is contributing content to calisphere. I worked on every single collection they mention in the press release. Note though that all of those collections have always been there and available on the web, oh for years now. Calisphere is just the new software and web design they're using to serve them out.

2. FDA OKs Viruses to Treat Food Aug 20, 2006, 14:12 Ratty

Ick. This won't last long. I guess intellectually I know that we ingest billions of bacteriophages and other harmless viruses all the time. And this virus approach is probably preferable to other preservatives put into food. But yuck! Who wants to eat balogne knowing it's been sprayed with virses? No thank you. I much prefer the radiation method, though public fear of that pretty much rules it out as economically viable as well.

News Comments > Evening Q&As
    7. Re: *blink* Aug 19, 2006, 12:40 Ratty

Did John Carmack just said that id basically needs to start producing CONTENT, rather than pretty tech demos?
    Ha ha. No such luck. He's saying id will have to start producing content SOMEDAY soon, but for now knock your socks off graphics is still the most important aspect of a computer game and content still doesn't matter all that much in comparison.

The guy's intelligent so when he continues to say things like that and his company continues to produce titles like Doom 3, which sold incredibly well, I start feeling like there's something wrong with ME. Like there's something I just don't get but everybody else does.

Maybe I'm getting old and cranky and too attached to the way they did things In My Day, I don't know. Went to the eye doctor yesterday and he prescribed ... *GASP* ... BIFOCALS!!!

2. Squirrel attacks Aug 13, 2006, 15:31 Ratty

Oh great. Just waiting now for all the squirrel-haters here to come out of the woodwork with their "I told you so's" and new methods for slaughtering the innocent creatures.

1129 Comments. 57 pages. Viewing page 42.
    < Newer [ 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo