Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ratty

Real Name Ratty   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ratty
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 11, 2005, 20:15
Total Comments 1111 (Pro)
User ID 22908

User comment history
< Newer [ 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Underground war room is being retired. Oct 18, 2006, 13:11 Ratty

But where are they going to keep the stargate??

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Battlefield 2142 Personal Data Clarification
57. Re: No subject Oct 18, 2006, 13:01 Ratty

Like cable TV. Remember when we all bent over for that, too?
You guys are all probably too young to remember, but believe it or not there was actually a time when you didn't see ads before the movie in theaters. The most you got was "Let's all go to the movies, and buy ourselves some treats!" with the dancing soft drink cups and popcorn boxes.

I sure hope EA will refund people's money if after they've opened the box and started to install the game they decide the EULA is unacceptable. But what are the chances of that, right?

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
2. Wii Oct 15, 2006, 16:35 Ratty

So THAT'S what that was all about. I come in to work in the morning and there's this huge line of 18-22 year old kids standing in a line in front of EB that snaked clear down the street. I was thinking it was for the PS3 but remembered reading that each store only got 8, so that couldn't be it.

The interesting thing was that there wasn't one single female in the line. Not one out of at least 100 guys.

News Comments > Prey Triton Solution
27. No subject Oct 11, 2006, 13:40 Ratty

Stupid question. Is there any way to buy a version of Prey that does not require any online authentication of any kind? The boxed copy may be especially designed to only work with versions already authenticated through Triton.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. Re: Spamhaus Oct 9, 2006, 15:02 Ratty

If we're ever going to really take on spam then it'll be through a combination of technological methods, legal changes, and business practice changes.
Legal methods scare me. I do prefer the government keep their hands off the internet. Technological methods of course, but the spammers will always keep up.

There is currently a HUGE community of people willing and able to devote enormous amounts of time and effort to defeating spam and believe given free reign that they could conceivably do a pretty good job.

I'm not sure what you mean by legal loophole, but maybe I do. There would be potential for abuse in a shield like that. It would have to be crafted carefully but still be effective--you don't want something that ends up *protecting* spammers and you don't want spam filters that, say, filter out the competition--and it would expire after 5 years. You need that much time as an incentive, but with the opportunity at some point to gauge it's effectiveness and eliminate the loopholes that crop up.

It would not be perfect! Everyone would know that. But it's the best way I can think of, the only way really without completely redesigning the internet from scratch. Spam is becoming a huge problem. If you thought it was bad before, it's only getting worse. Something has to be done. It sickens me everytime I see ANOTHER effective, reliable antispam service brought down by lawsuits. Is that fair? Should that be tolerated?

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Spamhaus Oct 9, 2006, 12:47 Ratty

I HATE the attempts by the US government to outlaw spam. As if that would make a whit of difference outside the US. And the idea of the no-email list they come up with--analogous to the no call list--is laughable. Just pathetic. Handing people's email addresses over to the spammers on a silver platter. What morons.

The best way to begin to counteract spam is not whitelists, new internet protocols that identify the user, legal threats, et al. The way to do it is to protect antispam organizations from lawsuits. It should be blanket protection for the next five years. Spamhaus is only the latest in a long list of effective antispam organizations that have been sued into oblivion by the spammers. Which is a pretty good indication of how much those guys are afraid of them.

News Comments > Triton Closes - Prey for a Solution
27. Re: Aha! Oct 8, 2006, 14:30 Ratty

3D Realms already has the money from customers who purchased rented the game via Triton, so it doesn't care or even need to at this point. The Triton EULA probably absolves 3D Realms of any obligation for support of Triton customers.
I'm just cynical enough to agree with that. Triton/3D Realms or whoever should have guaranteed that the service was not shut down UNTIL a patch was ready. Anything else is unethical and plain slimy. Yes, companies can go under with very little notice, often less than a day. That being the reality, they should have prepared patches for every single game they crippled at the time they were distributed.

But that's thinking WAY too much about users. They only care about their customers (Hint: we ain't their customers) and making a buck.

Why is 3D Realms becoming associated more and more with shady and dishonest business practices?
This comment was edited on Oct 8, 14:32.

News Comments > Evening Q&As
1. No subject Oct 7, 2006, 15:36 Ratty

TWO interesting and high profile triple AAA games coming out for PC only. You don't see that very much nowdays.

2. Frozen in Time Oct 7, 2006, 13:49 Ratty

Great prank. Do a search for "prank" on the same site. Some of them are JAPANESE so you know they're good.

This comment was edited on Oct 7, 13:53.

16. Making water from thin air Oct 6, 2006, 14:25 Ratty

A couple of years ago I heard about something. Making natural gas out of air and water. Takes lots and lots of electricity but technically it can be done. I always thought that was interesting, but I can't see how it's possible. You have the nitrogen, oxygen and hydrogen, but where does the carbon come from? Surely not from atmospheric CO2. Kinda off topic but there's a lot of smart sciency people here. Anybody know anything about this? It's for something I'm doing.

27. Pee Oct 2, 2006, 13:15 Ratty

Good god. I went to someone's house once, a long time ago. He actually had the nerve to ask me to sit down when I went to the bathroom (he had carpet in there for god's sake). I mean christ, what's wrong with some people? No, I didn't sit down, yes I may have splashed a little bit, but by god I kept my manhood.

Has someone posted this yet? http://youtube.com/watch?v=IzO1mCAVyMw Best one of these sorts of things I've yet seen. The music, the narrator, absolutely top notch.

Blue, women are ALWAYS too cold and men are ALWAYS too hot. I think it's hormones. Is this what goes on in your house?

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. LCD contrast Oct 2, 2006, 13:04 Ratty

Thing I hate most about my 21" Dell LCD. The crappy contrast. I play a lot of dark games, Thief, Deus Ex and such--add F.E.A.R. in there too I guess--and I hate the washed out gray look to them. My contrast ratio is 500:1 I think. I remember the first game I tried after installing the monitor: Thief Deadly Shadows. My excitement and anticipation turned to horror at what I was seeing.

On the flip side, bright games like Serious Sam looked absolutely brilliant. No complaints there.

Really, if you get an LCD monitor I can't stress enough how important it is to get a high contrast ratio. 1000:1 does not sound like overkill to me.

16. Jackass Sep 27, 2006, 12:55 Ratty

I never saw the movie or the TV shows, had absolutely no desire to. Thought they'd be unpleasant and juvenile. But the commercials for Jackass 2 seem so damn fun I put the first one on my Netflix queue and it should be home waiting for me this evening. And I'll probably get around to seeing the new one sometime soon, if I can persuade any of my snooty friends to see it with me. REALLY looking forward to it.

Now it's time for some man fishing ...

News Comments > The Early Show
14. Re: Bioshock Sep 23, 2006, 16:22 Ratty

Developers just aren't willing to make a game from the ground up twice to cater to both markets
See, this is what's killed me lately. We're not talking about ground up here. Why is it that so many games haven't even taken the small amount of time it would take to make a few simple changes to the interface? At the very least. Oblivion's ultra huge fonts come immediately to mind. Seriously, how hard is it to design an interface with a smaller font? Answer: not very since a user mod came out that did it. But a user mod shouldn't have been necessary--Bethesda *still* hasn't corrected the font problem. I won't even get into the other crappy console contaminated interface problems (like making the escape key work like every other PC game in history).

Yeah, I agree that optimizing most games for each platform should ideally be much deeper and more involved: "Stitching" tiny micro levels together to accomodate the PC's greater memory (or better yet, starting with large levels to begin with then splitting them up for the console). Custom dialog and oncreen readables to accomodate the higher resolution and closer distance of the PC monitor. Customized combat and weapons to accomodate the greater control of mouse + keyboard. Those are all big things (but I note again Crytek is doing all of this with Crysis--PC only to begin with then build an entirely new game if and when they decide to port it to consoles. HL2. Doom 3). I don't blame developers who are unable to do all of that--it sucks, but I don't blame them.

But Jesus Christ Almighty, too lazy to make another fucking font? So apathetic they can't assign someone to make sure the escape key works where it should? And where are the higher resolution textures for the PC we're always promised but never seem to get?

And THEN we get developers who are either so completely deluded or just lying through their teeth who claim (and they ALL do this), that designing for the simplicity of the console interface resulted in a better, streamlined interface for the PC too (and I bet you dimes to dollars we'll hear this little gem out of Irrational sometime real soon, mark my words). Any PC gamer knows this is absolute crap. I think these developers are simply so used to playing on a console controller that they are simply used to the same interface on the PC, the few and rare times they actually try the PC version.

Optimally customizing for each platform should be deep, but it's so sad that I'd be happy nowdays if they even just made tiny changes to the interface to accomodate a mouse, the escape key, and closer screen viewing distance.

Rant off. The demo really did look good, don't know why I've started foaming at the mouth all the sudden. It truly seems like the spiritual successor to System Shock. I just hope that they don't get so enamored with their open-ended emergent gameplay, player choice, etc. and forget it all must be built on a solid technical foundation of interface and control.

6. Re: Bioshock Sep 22, 2006, 14:19 Ratty

Every mainstream title released these days suffers the symptoms of "console contamination".
Did you read the Crytek Crysis interview that was around here not too long ago. They're making Crysis for the PC only and have no plans of porting it over to consoles. It doesn't mean they won't eventually (that would be pretty friggin unbelievable in this day and age)--even Valve's getting around to porting HL2 over--but the Crysis we're going to get will be first and foremost designed to exploit everything the PC has to offer, from mouse to keyboard to screen resolution, memory, everything.

There are a few of the old style developers left, that want first and foremost to make the best game they can possibly make. Maybe it's unrealistic but I can still dream.

2. Bioshock Sep 22, 2006, 13:46 Ratty

I still worry about console contamination. From big things, like, will there be loading zones every ten feet? To little annoyances like the interface: Will there be any way to view your entire inventory at once, like you could do in System Shock 2? Or will you have to cycle endlessly through a series of icons until you get what you want? Will you be able to use all of your function keys and number keys or will you be restricted to just the first 8? Will your save games be listed in such a grotesquely huge font that you can only see 4 or 5 savegames at a time? I can see that when there is any substantial amount of text on the screen they cut everything down so it will display legibly at TV screen resolutions and distance from the player. If it were a PC interface they'd feel free to put a lot more in and maybe make it visually more interesting.

I'm sure we'll discover consoles have contaminated this title to some degree--I'm worried how much it will be. I'm not so worried that it will be dumbed down for a mass audience to any substantial degree. I really did get that System Shock feeling while watching the movie, that's one really positive thing. I just wish most developers would take the time to really optimize their titles for each platform. I don't think that's going to happen here.

15. Health chiefs find 'smoking gun' spinac Sep 21, 2006, 12:50 Ratty

I can't remember the last time I ate spinach. I don't hate it, I don't love it. Simply never "got around" to eating much of it. But lately, since it's all gone, I crave it. I keep thinking of all these things I want to make with spinach in it. Isn't that weird?

News Comments > Ubisoft Leaks - Far Cry 2 & More
17. Re: huh? whats Sep 21, 2006, 12:22 Ratty

Ubisoft owns the trademark "Far Cry", not Crytek. Therefore Crytek is making a new game namned "Crysis" for EA.
Ah, it's all clear now. Thanks. Yeah, it'll suck.

News Comments > Saturday Q&As
15. Re: No subject Sep 17, 2006, 13:33 Ratty

IGN just wasted an entire interview debating the definition of what an FPS is. Who gives a flying f**K?
One of the more bizarre interviews I've read. What's with the obsession (and wasted space) over whether it's an FPS? I can see one question maybe.

And c'mon! Deus Ex really was pretty far behind graphically. Warren Spector lamented the fact that they couldn't give any of their models real ears, they were just painted onto the skin. All of the buildings were super plain with hardly any details. I would argue though that there may have been a tradeoff with the extremely large, open levels. When you have these really long lines of sight you have to trade that off with lower polys, simpler lighting, and smaller textures. Else performance would lag and loading times would be through the roof. So it may very well have been state of the art graphically when you factor in the large open map sizes. That is, no other cutting edge, modern engine of the time would have been able to do much better with such large maps.

News Comments > Reservoir Dogs Date
13. Re: No subject Sep 15, 2006, 12:58 Ratty

But who honestly expected this or any other movie game to turn out good?
Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay pretty much surprised everybody. It was a good game based off a movie I wouldn't watch if you paid me.

1111 Comments. 56 pages. Viewing page 40.
< Newer [ 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo