Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ratty

Real Name Ratty   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ratty
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 11, 2005, 20:15
Total Comments 1129 (Pro)
User ID 22908

User comment history
< Newer [ 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ] Older >

News Comments > BioShock Dated
18. Re: Woot! Mar 1, 2007, 16:56 Ratty

Oblivion ... Even with all of the PC useres crying foul, they didn't even bother to have someone rework it
Didn't that suck? How much effort could it have taken for them to release a UI with smaller fonts? At the very least. As much as I understand the pressures developers are under, that complete and total contempt for PC users really really pissed me off. Yes, users have modded a better UI since but they shouldn't have had to!

And ironically, Morrowind is the one example of a game that didn't seem to suffer much from parallel development. It was no Daggerfall to be sure, but UI wise it was just fine.

Oh, and I just noticed this:
The Q&A did offer some new hope to BioShock fans. Both the 360 and PC versions of the game will "be exactly the same"
Oh boy! What GOOD NEWS. Now us PC users don't have to worry about higher resolution textures or fewer load zones or enemies that aren't design for auto-aiming. Yay! Thank you Irrational!! Thank you!

This comment was edited on Mar 1, 17:01.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Into the Black
13. Upside down pee dogs Mar 1, 2007, 14:48 Ratty

They're not so uncommon. My coworker has a little dog that pees in exactly the same way. He'll actually walk along on this front legs while peeing (the dog, not my coworker). He actually hurt his hind leg a few years back and, though it doesn't actually *hurt*, he's very touchy and careful about it. That maybe has something to do with his odd peeing behavior.

News Comments > Morning Q&As
1. No subject Mar 1, 2007, 14:34 Ratty

Heh, the Journeyman Project was the second computer game I ever played after Myst. I loved it.

News Comments > BioShock Dated
8. Re: Woot! Mar 1, 2007, 14:32 Ratty

I hope we can play this without thinking console, it will be the line everyone is watching (well at least the fans).
Amen. A couple of years ago I would have been as psyched as Meatforce, but nowdays, after so many bitter disappointments, I approach parallel PC/Console games with a big dose of caution and skepticism. Warren Specter used to be my hero--I practically worshipped that man. But today he's irrelevant to me. I wish him all the best in his endeavors and all that, but his path has diverged from mine.

Ken Levine has been awesome in dealing with the community. His design philosophy is exciting. He's also guaranteed us that the PC version hasn't been compromised by the console version. But we've heard that before, haven't we? I don't take anything for granted nowdays until I actually see the finished product.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Poor Gunnar Feb 13, 2007, 12:51 Ratty

t seems MrsBlue went to sleep forgetting she had let him out.
That bitch.

News Comments > etc.
1. RIP BethSoft Feb 9, 2007, 14:02 Ratty

... and then when the PC version of the game was released at the end of December we all saw it for what it was...a cheap port of a console game.
It's sad to see a great game company die. It'll go on and make profits but it's BethSoft in name only. The company we knew and loved is gone.

17. Too much space Feb 8, 2007, 12:51 Ratty

But I'm of the put as much information on one screen as possible school of web design. I hate when the web designers around here take my stuff and spread it out so I have to scroll forever.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. No subject Feb 7, 2007, 12:44 Ratty

Like everyone I find those Mac vs PC ads annoying, pompous and inaccurate. The security one is *hilarious* though.

11. No subject Feb 6, 2007, 13:12 Ratty

I never eat chili the same day I make it. It needs to age in the fridge for 24 hours. I always add way more hot chili than I like because by the next day it's calmed down somewhat and blended nicely with the other flavors. The hotness decreases every day after that.

News Comments > THQ Sequel Plans
23. Re: Hopefully Feb 4, 2007, 14:59 Ratty

First Red Faction was pretty good
I liked it. I played through a few different times. But I usually started with a savegame just after you get the railgun. The game really started to shine after that. They made a big mistake by marketing the entire game around the destructible environments. It turned out to be just a mildly interesting feature and not something which radically changed conventional gameplay (for the SP game at any rate). I'd forgotten about the lame endgame! I wonder if I still have the CD lying around someplace ...

26. Re: Molly Ivins Feb 1, 2007, 13:03 Ratty

I'll miss her syndicated column in the KC Star each week. She had a nice down-to-earth writing style that was much more entertaining to read that that of George Will, Michelle Malkin, or any of their ilk.
Yeah, this is really sad. I'll miss her. I knew she had cancer but was shocked and saddened when I read about her death this morning. Hers was a life well-lived.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. No subject Feb 1, 2007, 12:57 Ratty

Really the only thing about Vista I can't tolerate is all the new DRM it's infested with. I'm not a pirate--haven't stolen software or entertainment for decades--but even I'm pissed off about all the things the entertainment industry is taking away from legitimate users. Will I be able to save over the air HDTV content to my harddrive and take screenshots without it becoming downrezzed? Will I be able to fast forward through commercials? Skip the obnoxious FBI warnings and movie previews? Save HDTV to Blu-ray or Digital tape?

I just bought my first LCD HDTV and so those things are on my mind lately.

The only thing I really WANT from Vista is DX10. I'm wondering whether it'll be possible to do a dual boot system, Windows XP and Vista?

9. Re: Global Warming Effects Could Be See Jan 30, 2007, 13:19 Ratty

I hope these aren't the same guys who are telling me what the weather will be like next week.
I couldn't agree more. I hate when a few scientists proclaim some hurricane or heat wave is due to global warming. They get all the headlines while the more cautious ones are ignored. We're having weird weather, cold snaps, heat waves, unseasonable temperatures here in California, and respectable climatologists, the vast majority, will point out that it is due to El Niņo, not global warming.

Yes, global warming caused by man is real. It is serious and we're in big trouble. The oil companies and Republicans use the tactic of introducing doubt, claiming there are real scientists out there who do not agree, when the science couldn't be more clear. This is the same strategy they use to combat the teaching of evolution in our schools.

Ten years isn't a long time. When scientists predict half of Indonesia will be underwater in 10 years (seriously!), what will happen when ten years have gone by and Indonesia is still fine? What happens when we have a mild hurricane season? It plays right into Republican hands.

News Comments > Morning Screenshots - DNF?
7. Re: No subject Jan 26, 2007, 12:02 Ratty

It looks more like an action figure to me. But if it is a real game shot, then that is pretty impressive. Although it could be a cinematic from the game and not actual game play.
I'm thinking maybe it's true in-game as George claims but with some kind of super computer setup. 4 high-end SLI video cards, quad CPU, something like that. And it probably plays at something like 10 FPS or something. Whatever it is I'll bet 99% of players won't see anything like that when/if the game comes out. More like a marketing stunt, sell it to people using screenshots like that I'll bet.

This comment was edited on Jan 26, 12:03.

News Comments > Ritual Ends SiNning Ways?
40. Re: No subject Jan 25, 2007, 13:39 Ratty

Quite frankly I think they deserved this. Their business decisions and miscalculations of the desires of the consumer combined with arrogance have taken them here. Had SiN 2 been a regular game they'd likely been in a different position.
I don't think they had a choice. They'd shopped SiN2 around to different publishers with a demo they'd made and simply couldn't sell it. Steam was their ONLY recourse. I imagine the decision to make it episodic also had mostly to do with finances (regardless of what their marketing guys may have claimed). Without the money from a publisher it was probably their sole option.

Too bad about Ritual, I always liked them. But at least they haven't gone out of business.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. No subject Jan 23, 2007, 13:29 Ratty

Mmm, misread that last article title ...

News Comments > Matto4 for Far Cry
7. No subject Jan 5, 2007, 14:21 Ratty

I only just discovered user created sp levels for farcry. I hadn't know there were so many. I played just about all of them over a 2 month period. The Matto levels were the best. I'm looking forward to this one.

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
8. No subject Dec 31, 2006, 14:10 Ratty

No big surprise here. When my phone is next to the computer or the TV I can tell it's doing something because there's a burst of static every once in awhile. Very occasionally it does this just before it rings but most of the times there doesn't seem to be any reason. I just figured it was checking for messages or something. It's a prepaid phone--paid for with cash--because I don't use it that much. I wonder if the FBI is triangulating in on it to find the location of the owner, me.

I'd heard this story before but in that case they had to get their hands on the phone first and plant something inside it. There was nothing about this feature being available in every phone as built by the manufacturer.

This comment was edited on Dec 31, 14:14.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
26. Crysis Dec 31, 2006, 14:05 Ratty

Crap! I had pointed to Crytek as an example of a company that could still make a PC game without compromising it for XBox 360's lower tech and dumbing it down for the Box's audience. Sure, it'd come to a console someday but they really were going to make it the very best PC game they possibly could first.

Crap.

I know, the article isn't definitive and they're not saying they're doing parallel development, but still, if true it's got to be influencing their design. Parallel development is GREAT for publishers and developers but it's NEVER a good thing for players.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
6. Re Morse Code Dec 17, 2006, 13:47 Ratty

I learned morse in college. A buddy and I ran a wire between his building and mine right next door. He knew morse and we spent hours talking to each other as I got better and better. Started with the old-fashioned key type then graduated to the double paddle model.

Why? It was fun.

1129 Comments. 57 pages. Viewing page 39.
< Newer [ 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo