Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ratty

Real Name Ratty   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ratty
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 11, 2005, 20:15
Total Comments 1111 (Pro)
User ID 22908

User comment history
< Newer [ 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
6. Re: Microsoft is dead Apr 8, 2007, 14:01 Ratty

By the way, did you ever develop with Visual C++ 6.0? Would you classify that as a weapon
No, it doesn't have that "weapony" feel to it. I used to develop with it but came to despise it's thin-wrapper approach, choked with weird macros. In fact, the only times I've ever used VB is when I had to do a windows GUI. I found it was really good at making stable GUIs with very little work. I'd develop the code in C++ with gcc though and call out to that. I'd NEVER go back to Visual C++.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Into the Black
22. Light saber umbrella Apr 8, 2007, 12:41 Ratty

Bought it!

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
4. Re: Microsoft is dead Apr 8, 2007, 12:20 Ratty

An interesting thing. I always avoided Visual Basic, mostly because I didn't like it (I don't trust any programming language that doesn't have curly braces) but mostly because it was platform specific. A programmer I respected very much has recommended various languages, frameworks, and techniques over the years and she's been absolutely spot on every time. I owe her a great debt of gratitude for helping me get where I am today. But after several years of not seeing her I ran into her not too long ago. She'd turned gaga over .NET. I was stunned. Oh the humanity. Not her, they didn't finally get to her! She admitted the irony and her own surprise, but she was unqualified in saying .NET was .IT!

I've been hearing similar stories around the internet here and there. I still find it hard to believe, but I've been looking into .NET. Cautiously, but still looking. The thing I don't like about Microsoft tech is how stubbornly platform-specific it is, but mostly it's the fact that every technology they develop (or coopt) is designed as a weapon. They don't try and create useful tools for real users, they craft careful marketing weapons designed solely to overwhelm their target markets.

What do you guys think? Are we headed for a .NET world?

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. AVS Apr 6, 2007, 11:13 Ratty

I appreciated the review. I'm finally starting to get into a lot of video editing and having the hardest time figuring out how to do the simplest things, like extract small clips or delete sections. I have about 6 zillion programs I keep trying--Windows Media Maker is by far the worst. Right now I'm using the program that comes with my Panasonic camcorder and so far it's the easiest, though I still can't manage to extract a clip without screwing it up a dozen times first. Then I use Sonic MyDVD to burns DVDs. That's pretty easy except that it crashes all the time

News Comments > Out of the Blue
22. Re: Yoga Apr 3, 2007, 15:33 Ratty

It didn't sound like a hawk ripping out the back, but ooh, the position and kind of movement the girl was doing, hard to predict the kind of sound expelling gas would make
And what makes some girls think it's OK if they fart in front of you? That is always seriously unsexy, I don't care who they are or what their relationship to you is. (And for the married guys here who say it's cool when their wife farts in front of them--you know who you are--you're lying through your teeth!). I knew one girl back in high school who thought it was funny to fall to the floor in just a certain way, legs split apart, so that gas was expelled where it should never be expelled from. She always laughed but I was silently gagging, thinking such unkind thoughts about her.

Girls, let that be a lesson to you. He may have a smile on his face but it may just be to cover the little bit of vomit he made in the back of his mouth!

8. Yoga Apr 2, 2007, 13:24 Ratty

Gross. And it didn't sound like a butt fart if you know what I mean

32. No subject Mar 28, 2007, 13:28 Ratty

I use Cold-Eeze pretty habitually when I feel something coming on. The zinc supposedly coats the inside of your throat and slows viruses from marching down those tissues and into your lungs, giving your immune system time to mop them up.

No way to know if it *really* works of course. How do I know my flu wouldn't have gotten better on its own in the same amount of time? I relied on some very impressive controlled studies that overwhelmingly demonstrated a dramatic decrease in flu severity and duration. Turns out subsequent studies showed no such effect. Crap.

Similarly if one looks into that "created by a school teacher" Airborne stuff, there are NO reliable controlled experiments showing any effect whatsoever, the marketer's claims to the contrary. Not surprising since it's based on homeopathic voodoo.

But I was bummed about the Cold-Eeze news (though I still take it, go figure).

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. No subject Mar 16, 2007, 13:36 Ratty

I always thought Blu-ray would win because it has a cooler name.

13. DirecTV Mar 15, 2007, 12:25 Ratty

Bodoloza, it's a shark or dolphin or something. Put yourt face right up to the screen.

DirecTV is infamous for their horrible buggy DVRs. Supposedly they've gotten better but you still hear comments like Blues. With the new ownership maybe they'll go back to Tivo. That'd be great.

Now that I have an HDTV I'm addicted to this site. I read it every day. They're always talking about DircTV's crappy DVR:

http://www.tvpredictions.com

9. Re: What would you do ... Mar 12, 2007, 13:46 Ratty

Physics and math mostly. The classic Cohen-Tannoudji quantum mechanics text for example, still in use today but in later editions. Also my copy is in pretty bad shape. DiPrima and Boyce's differential equation textbook, another classic. Plus a lot of weird math texts I never even cracked, thanks to even weirder math teachers. Some of my other textbooks I still want to keep, like my Russian texts--I still refer to those. But I'll never need the math and physics ones again.

Donating them to a bookdrive or the local public library is actually an outstanding idea. Much better than recycling them. Though, as I said, I haven't taken very good care of most of them, the library may not even want them. I really need to get rid of them to make some space for myself.

7. What would you do ... Mar 12, 2007, 11:51 Ratty

... with your old textbooks?

I have a major space problem at home and I've been spending the last several months organizing and throwing crap away. I installed a whole wall of shelves for my books.

But there's still not enough room for everything. I have about a TON of textbooks. Most are out of date. Many are in poor shape because I have not been nice to them at all over the years. I'm pretty sure they're almost all unsellable. Many are classics that are probably still in use, but almost certainly as later editions.

Seriously, I'm torn up about this. Recycle them all? Man that would kill me. If I'd addressed the issue right after college I could have sold them. Kids, let this be a lesson. Sell your textbooks while you are still able to!

Any suggestions?

18. Re: No subject Mar 9, 2007, 14:47 Ratty

Don't know anything about that particular TV (57"?? My GOD) but I went through all of this a couple of months ago when I got my first HDTV. $1,800 does seem like a very good deal. It's as much as I paid for my 37" 1080p LCD. You probably know about these but check out High Def Forum and and the AV Forum:

http://www.highdefforum.com
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=9

They were both invaluable to me in making my choice. Amazon.com probably has a better price. I bought an LCD from them and then changed my mind after it had shipped and I was able to return it for a full refund, no shipping charge. Amazon's good.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Conn. Bill Would Force MySpace Age Chec Mar 8, 2007, 13:13 Ratty

So does this mean someday we'll all have to submit a credit card number before we can post here?

18. Re: No subject Mar 7, 2007, 12:11 Ratty

So bizarre. Someone called me perspicacious only yesterday. It was the first time I'd heard the word (though I think I've seen it in print) and asked what it meant.

This was just yesterday. Synchronicity is spooky.

17. DirecTV Mar 7, 2007, 12:08 Ratty

I'll be making the plunge myself fairly soon. I finally got myself a beautiful HDTV and now I need cable or something to get all the great HDTV shows. I haven't had cable in years and years. Spent a long time looking at the different providers and DirecTV turns out to be the best.

It's a shame it doesn't work with Tivo anymore though.

News Comments > Redneck Kentucky Demo
11. Re: No subject Mar 6, 2007, 14:12 Ratty

... roughly on par with Quake II's
I think you're being generous ...

News Comments > Redneck Kentucky Demo
5. No subject Mar 6, 2007, 12:55 Ratty

Looks awesome. Downloading now. There was another redneck-themed shooter released not too long ago. As I have very fond memories of Redneck Rampage I downloaded the demo and found it unplayable. But it was engine and control issues (crappy graphics I can handle). This is based on an established engine and control scheme so I expect thast won't be the issue.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Conservapedia Mar 5, 2007, 12:57 Ratty

It's pretty hilarious, I love it. Conservapedia, The Half Hour News Hour (Fox News' conservative answer to the daily show) ... there are just some things conservatives need to give up on. They have talk radio all to themselves--liberals can't do that for some reason--but they need to give up on science and satire.

News Comments > BioShock Dated
30. Re: Woot! Mar 2, 2007, 14:38 Ratty

"a team to focus on the PC user's needs."
That sounds like a bunch of bullshit. Especially since "both versions will be exactly the same."
Cynical old me. It occurs to me a team can be made up of just one person. Working part time. Nah, Irrational wouldn't be THAT nasty.

News Comments > BioShock Dated
23. Re: Woot! Mar 1, 2007, 20:03 Ratty

It'll be an open city by the time you're almost finished, but then what's the point going back to old areas? (levels)
Resources. In System Shock 2 anyway. You might remember a vending machine from a previous level with something you needed. Or a healing machine with more points left on it.

I doubt it will be this way in Bioshock but in System Shock 2 I used previous levels to store all the extra crap I couldn't fit into my inventory. I'd choose a safe area right by the elevator and stack all my shit up on the floor. Then I new where it was when I needed it. I'd just pop down the elevator. Somehow I don't think Bioshock's inventory system will work the same way, but who knows.

1111 Comments. 56 pages. Viewing page 37.
< Newer [ 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo