Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ratty

Real Name Ratty   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ratty
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 11, 2005, 20:15
Total Comments 1138 (Pro)
User ID 22908

User comment history
< Newer [ 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
4. Crap Jun 20, 2007, 23:50 Ratty

I don't use Myth TV but I've used their free XML feed for years to create my own custom printed TV guide. The ones in the papers are just useless, they have to list every channel and don't have the space to print descriptions. I wrote a program to compile just the channels I'm interested in and print it out every week.

Damn. What am I supposed to do now?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. No subject Jun 12, 2007, 11:47 Ratty

Google's street view did kind of creep me out when I could park it right in front of my house. I wish I knew when they did that so I could have been there and done something stupid. I mean, it's harmless, right? If someone knows my address anyway who cares if they can see my house. Right? Still, it was a little creepy and personal.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Congratulations! May 23, 2007, 14:28 Ratty

Hey, VE3D was awesome until he sold out to the man (IGN network).
Um, how do I put this delicately ... Let's just say I prefer a more age-appropriate source of gaming news.

This comment was edited on May 23, 14:28.

15. Re: No more lap dances May 23, 2007, 14:25 Ratty

The move was a victory for the Cincinnati group, Citizens for Community Values. CCV collected thousands of petition signatures to place the issue before lawmakers.
God bless them. Those holy warriors for Christ! I now feel safer visiting Ohio without the fear that some naked chick will jump into my lap.

http://www.ccv.org/issues.aspx

6. Re: Congratulations! May 23, 2007, 11:11 Ratty

Man, where have you been? =)
Crap. You're saying that link was from before we started bugging him?

3. Congratulations! May 23, 2007, 10:45 Ratty

I started by visiting Stomped for years. They were really great but they had to close down and go into a different business. Then I tried Voodoo Extreme for awhile--yuck. Something about Shack news, I just never visited there often. But Bluesnews was finally the one for me and I've been coming here several times a day for years. I don't visit any other gaming sites except the odd game-specific fansites.

I just noticed the T Shirt link on the left! We'd been nagging Blue forever but I'd not noticed he went ahead and did it! Unfortuntely 404 Not Found! Not Found! Did I wait too long? Are the T-Shirts gone?

13. Re: No subject May 22, 2007, 13:32 Ratty

Not sure if that makes sense, but it was the same feeling in the NOLF games.
The NOLF games had a weird feeling, I remember that. One thing that bugged me was how you bounced up and down a bit whenever you jumped, like you were on springs or something.

I still play UT just about every day. I never cared for any of the sequels, I don't know why. Maybe something about the visual simplicity of UT versus the highly detailed graphics of the modern version. Also, I much prefer the more streamlined player models as opposed to the bulked up battle armor of the later versions. And the weapons in UT just seem better. The original Flak Cannon is still better than the newer versions. Plus, the stupid Lightning Gun is no replacement for the good old Sniper Rifle.

But maybe I'm just old and all games were better in my day.

News Comments > etc., etc.
10. No subject May 22, 2007, 10:32 Ratty

Isn't it pretty much universally accepted the original Unreal Tournament was the best one of all? If Quake 3 and UT 2004 are on that list, UT should be there too.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. No subject May 18, 2007, 13:30 Ratty

Riddick--The only decent console to PC port I've ever played. It was very consoley in a number of ways but the excellent gameplay and design more than made up for it. I'm quite excited about this.

News Comments > Wednesday Game Reviews
1. Shivering Isles May 16, 2007, 12:59 Ratty

I thought Shivering Isles would re-inspire me to play Oblivion again but after going in and playing for a bit I'm still as bored as I ever was. Don't get me wrong, I LOVED Oblivion when it first came out and played it obsessively. But after awhile, just like Morrowind, I became instantly bored and never touched it again. None of the mods ever captured my attention either.

News Comments > Morning Screenshots
1. Hellgate first person? May 16, 2007, 12:55 Ratty

Is Hellgate still a first person perspective game. I only ever see 3d person screenshots lately

19. Re: No subject May 7, 2007, 15:59 Ratty

Ratty, sounds to me you don't like shows which are serial or have any overarcing storyline....
Nah, that's not it. Lexx had that and I still loved it. Liked the second season storyline in fact: Self-replicating robots gobbling up planets and stars, galaxies. Farscape I don't care for, and I watched quite a few on DVD. I might like B5 when I see it on DVD. I didn't like Firefly when it was on TV but then when I saw it in the right order on DVD I ended up loving it. I suspect B5 might be the same. I just need to see them in order, uninterrupted, when I have some free time. Or I might not like it, who knows? I'm just not very tolerant of cliched, stupid characters and plots.

15. Re: Spiderman 3 May 7, 2007, 12:49 Ratty

What about Lexx, I found some info on that. Is it any good? Anybody know about it?
Lexx is AWESOME. One of my all-time favorite series. Only season one and two though. Season three was OK, watchable, but season 4 was a travesty. It got all campy and stupid. Seems to me the first two seasons had a good production budget. Special effects were great.

Never cared for Farscape. I started renting them through Netflix too because I'd never seen them on TV, but I only got so far before I quit. Andromeda is beyond worthless. I never liked B5 when it was on TV but I didn't hate it either. I'll probably watch it on DVD sometime soon. I have the first DVD of the 4400 on my queue. I've not heard a lot about it but I thought I'd give it a try. You might also consider the modern versions of Outer Limits and Twilight Zone.

Let's see, other shows I loved on DVD: Dead Like Me. I never saw it on Showtime but I fell in love with it on DVD. The first 5 seasons of Red Dwarf of course. Some of those episodes are simply hilarious.
This comment was edited on May 7, 13:01.

35. Re: Guurrl Scouts May 2, 2007, 13:28 Ratty

Children of Men is incredible. It's one of the few DVDs I'm tempted to buy.

I wonder if there is a word for when your Netflix queue only has mediocre so-so things in it that you sort of want to see but maybe not. Like after you've seen all the movies you want to see, all the TV shows. What's left is weird foreign movies you have to be in the mood to see and you're actually disappointed when it comes in the mail cause you were hoping to get something better.

My queue is like that now. Everything on it is only so so or something I have to be in a certain mood to see. It's depressing. Thinking of dropping down to the 4 a month plan.

News Comments > Game Guidance
1. Serious Sam 2 May 2, 2007, 13:09 Ratty

Hey, is this game worth getting in the bargain bin? I didn't care for the demos when they came out (though the second demo was a lot better than the first) and I was as disappointed as everyone else. Consolization, sell out, blah blah ...

But those screencaps look fun. Should I bother getting it?

42. Re: Space Opera Apr 30, 2007, 18:19 Ratty

I suspect reading a Star Trek or Star Wars book is a guilty pleasure, like chicks get when reading a Halequin Romance.
I'll say. For the love of god I can't BELIEVE any of you guys are admitting to this. And I thought *I* read trash. Now I don't feel so bad.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Google desktop Apr 30, 2007, 18:17 Ratty

Hey thanks! Definitely none of that was available with version 1.0. I believe I'll give it another try.

12. Re: No subject Apr 30, 2007, 12:46 Ratty

It's all hyperbole. Cannabis has no physical addiction to it. So nobody is 'dependent' on Pot.
Bah. I think most drugs should be legalized. Heavy sentences for those who sell to minors (but not death like William F. Buckley proposes). I think making drugs illegal does a lot of good, but the bad it causes outweighs that: unfair, racist, classist conviction stats. Expensive overcrowded prisons. Erosion of civil rights. Support for opressive and antagonistic regimes. The amount of crime committed by druggies and junkies. A framework for organized crime to flourish. The huge expense of it all. Really I suspect the civil rights issue is the real reason we've never legalized drugs. Governments will do anything to keep from restoring rights they've taken away and losing that power.

But I was really addicted to pot for awhile. Smoked it every night when I was in college. It was definitely not good for me or my life. The only reason I'm not abusing it today is because it's illegal and I don't know where to buy it anymore. Still, even so, I think it should be legal.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Google desktop Apr 30, 2007, 12:32 Ratty

I tried Google desktop for awhile. I really need a more powerful search for the files on my PC than the straight exact string match provided by Windows search. Problem was I couldn't limit result to a specific tree of folders, nor could I limit results by file extension. It always returned too many results to be useful, plus it displayed too much detail on screen making me page through screen after screen.

I guess getting Google desktop just to search files was overkill to begin with. Any suggestions on a better search utility that automatically indexes files in the background?

15. Re: No subject Apr 19, 2007, 13:25 Ratty

At times I will catch some of the auditions in the first weeks just to see the people making fools of themselves
Careful, that's how I started too. Like a gateway drug or something. Seems innocent enough at first, but before you realize it you're shooting heroin twice a day.

1138 Comments. 57 pages. Viewing page 37.
< Newer [ 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo