Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ratty

Real Name Ratty   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ratty
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 11, 2005, 20:15
Total Comments 1129 (Pro)
User ID 22908

User comment history
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
6. Re: FF extensions Sep 11, 2007, 13:42 Ratty

What it all comes down to is consumer backlash. Ad companies couldn't reign themselves in and now they're paying the price.

That is so true. After all the abuse of popups, popunders, annoying flash ads with sound, layers that interpose themselves over content, what did these people expect? And what's with all the wah wah wah lately about web thieves stealing the food out from under hungry mouths by using ad blockers? They've run out of annoying tech tricks and have resorted to guilt? Don't we see articles on this almost everyday lately?

Advertisers you only have yourselves to blame. Content providers, you are to blame too because you're enabling them. And we're on to your little trick of splitting an article up into 50 pages of a about a paragraph each just so we're forced to look at more ads. Someday we'll figure a way around that one too!

I'm not in principle against making a buck on the web. I don't mind static, non-animated banners. I don't even mind interstitial ads (you know, you read page one of an article, then the link to page two takes you to an ad first that you have to click through to see page 3). But I don't want to be distracted by popups and busy-ness while I'm trying to read your content.

This comment was edited on Sep 11, 13:43.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. No subject Sep 11, 2007, 13:35 Ratty

Everyone's afraid of the day when Thief/System Shock will simply no longer run on modern systems. We've been pretty lucky so far and people keep releasing great fan missions, even these many years after the game's release. I recently upgraded my video card and got a GeForce 7900 just so I could see fog in Thief games again. My old ATI card couldn't do it.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
27. Gums Aug 30, 2007, 01:29 Ratty

That whole gum thing sounds horrible. Was it your "fault" may I ask? Was there something you didn't do that created the problem? Not enough flossing, or brushing the wrong way or something? Too much sugar in your diet? I'm just wondering cause I recently started taking care of my teeth a lot more than I used to and if something like that can be prevented your story is a good motivator.

News Comments > Op Ed
21. Re: No subject Aug 28, 2007, 20:29 Ratty

You're right, it is a particularly good year. I'll probably be playing 8 of those in addition to Bioshock. Past years have been miserable though.

I don't do realistic games, 3rd person or multiplayer, so my tastes have always been more restricted than most people's.

News Comments > Op Ed
5. No subject Aug 28, 2007, 03:03 Ratty

I'm finding it less and less reasonable to keep upgrading my PC like I have done to keep up with fewer and fewer games I'm actually interested in playing. I used to get the top of the line every 4 years or so (graphics cards more often) and there were a lot of great PC games that made that worthwhile.

Not so much anymore. The new games are going console-only or are grudgingly ported to the PC. They are shallower, dumber (er, more "accessible"), shorter, geared towards high graphics at the expense of CPU and memory (tiny microlevels, few AI onscreen at once). I'm starting to wonder if games are passing me by as I get older. Like comic books, used to love 'em but these kids nowdays, sheesh, what passes for comics are pathetic. Haven't picked one up in years.

At one or two games a year it's not worth it to keep upgrading my PC to play them. I worry my gaming days are a thing of the past.

News Comments > Gold - BioShock
10. Re: 1st Aug 9, 2007, 11:20 Ratty

After Thief 3 and Deus Ex 2 I refuse to get excited about ANY PC game ever again. I retain an healthy dose of skepticism, especially when it's done by a small independent like Irrational. Ken Levine has assured people repeatedly they'll do right by PC gamers, but you know, we've heard assurances like that before. I wish I could get excited about games coming out like I used to.

That said, I'm glad I finally got my gaming PC hooked up to the Internet last week. I finished playing Half-life 2 for the first time (not as good as the first one), so I'm all set for the required Internet activation. Nasty little surprise that, but at least it isn't Steam.

News Comments > Saturday Previews
3. HGL Jul 29, 2007, 15:09 Ratty

I was pretty excited about this game when it was first announced. That's faded over time and for some reason I'm not looking forward to it as much. There's some hint of consolitis in a lot of the previews I've been reading, though can't put my finger on it.

6. Welcome to my life Jul 25, 2007, 11:59 Ratty

I don't know how old you are, Blue, but you might be entering that heartburn phase of life. Sucks. Bolting upright in bed from a sound sleep, struggling to breathe cause you inhaled some stomach acid. Piling up the pillows to sleep with your head as high as possible.

I found out it was fat that did it to me. Anything a little bit fatty or greasy after 7 PM and I knew I would be up for a night of hell. Cut out the fat at night and I never had any problems. Spicy food didn't do it to me. But that evening bowl of ice cream, man that's hard to give up.

News Comments > Disney Acquires Junction Point
14. Re: No subject Jul 13, 2007, 01:14 Ratty

im personally looking forward to the interviews warren spector will do in a day or two trying to convince his fanbase how this can possibly be a good thing.

I really don't think he has a fan base anymore ...

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
2. Re: Umm Jul 1, 2007, 16:06 Ratty

I just installed your chat GM script. So how does it work?

3. Re: I don't want one Jun 30, 2007, 18:00 Ratty

As soon as I heard about their exclusive deal with Cingular plus the mandatory two-year contract I lost all interest in this phone. Apple took it up the butt with this one and Cingular, um AT&T now I guess, is laughing their asses off.

IF the phones had voice recognition like almost all other new smart phones I wouldn't care so much about the goofy virtual keypad. But since you apparently *have* to type with the thing, I'll pass.

So many cool, fresh, innovative things they did with the phone yet they completely screwed up the basics.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
4. Crap Jun 20, 2007, 23:50 Ratty

I don't use Myth TV but I've used their free XML feed for years to create my own custom printed TV guide. The ones in the papers are just useless, they have to list every channel and don't have the space to print descriptions. I wrote a program to compile just the channels I'm interested in and print it out every week.

Damn. What am I supposed to do now?

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. No subject Jun 12, 2007, 11:47 Ratty

Google's street view did kind of creep me out when I could park it right in front of my house. I wish I knew when they did that so I could have been there and done something stupid. I mean, it's harmless, right? If someone knows my address anyway who cares if they can see my house. Right? Still, it was a little creepy and personal.

16. Re: Congratulations! May 23, 2007, 14:28 Ratty

Hey, VE3D was awesome until he sold out to the man (IGN network).
Um, how do I put this delicately ... Let's just say I prefer a more age-appropriate source of gaming news.

This comment was edited on May 23, 14:28.

15. Re: No more lap dances May 23, 2007, 14:25 Ratty

The move was a victory for the Cincinnati group, Citizens for Community Values. CCV collected thousands of petition signatures to place the issue before lawmakers.
God bless them. Those holy warriors for Christ! I now feel safer visiting Ohio without the fear that some naked chick will jump into my lap.

http://www.ccv.org/issues.aspx

6. Re: Congratulations! May 23, 2007, 11:11 Ratty

Man, where have you been? =)
Crap. You're saying that link was from before we started bugging him?

3. Congratulations! May 23, 2007, 10:45 Ratty

I started by visiting Stomped for years. They were really great but they had to close down and go into a different business. Then I tried Voodoo Extreme for awhile--yuck. Something about Shack news, I just never visited there often. But Bluesnews was finally the one for me and I've been coming here several times a day for years. I don't visit any other gaming sites except the odd game-specific fansites.

I just noticed the T Shirt link on the left! We'd been nagging Blue forever but I'd not noticed he went ahead and did it! Unfortuntely 404 Not Found! Not Found! Did I wait too long? Are the T-Shirts gone?

13. Re: No subject May 22, 2007, 13:32 Ratty

Not sure if that makes sense, but it was the same feeling in the NOLF games.
The NOLF games had a weird feeling, I remember that. One thing that bugged me was how you bounced up and down a bit whenever you jumped, like you were on springs or something.

I still play UT just about every day. I never cared for any of the sequels, I don't know why. Maybe something about the visual simplicity of UT versus the highly detailed graphics of the modern version. Also, I much prefer the more streamlined player models as opposed to the bulked up battle armor of the later versions. And the weapons in UT just seem better. The original Flak Cannon is still better than the newer versions. Plus, the stupid Lightning Gun is no replacement for the good old Sniper Rifle.

But maybe I'm just old and all games were better in my day.

News Comments > etc., etc.
10. No subject May 22, 2007, 10:32 Ratty

Isn't it pretty much universally accepted the original Unreal Tournament was the best one of all? If Quake 3 and UT 2004 are on that list, UT should be there too.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. No subject May 18, 2007, 13:30 Ratty

Riddick--The only decent console to PC port I've ever played. It was very consoley in a number of ways but the excellent gameplay and design more than made up for it. I'm quite excited about this.

1129 Comments. 57 pages. Viewing page 36.
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo