Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ratty

Real Name Ratty   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ratty
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 11, 2005, 20:15
Total Comments 1137 (Pro)
User ID 22908

User comment history
< Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

News Comments > Safety Dance
7. Re: Safety Dance Aug 9, 2009, 14:37 Ratty

in fact it precludes Linux from ever gaining foothold in the desktop market
Great point. And that's the crux of the matter right there ladies and gentlemen

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > BioShock 2 Movie
5. Re: BioShock 2 Movie May 14, 2009, 12:50 Ratty

The primary target platform of the game hasn't changed. It's a console game, primarily

Yeah, the ONLY silver lining to today's developers focusing on consoles and largely ignoring PCs. My PC is several years old and still plays the latest games at their highest settings (it's a single core processor). And I'm not planning on replacing it for a long time.

News Comments > Goodbye from 3D Realms
25. Re: Goodbye from 3D Realms May 9, 2009, 14:10 Ratty

I still remember that article from the ex-DNF developer from about a year ago that said categorically DNF would *never* see the light of day because it was all a scam by 3DRealms to milk the publishers and investors of as much money as they could before shutting down. I didn't think too much of it then, but wow was that guy right on target.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: My own pet peeve Feb 28, 2009, 14:22 Ratty

Ha! Good catch mag.

Tim Berners-Lee, the inventor of the www, said in hindsight he regretted several things:

Web creator regrets addressing system

Tim Berners-Lee has said that if he had his time again Web addresses would be simpler, and arguably more logical, than the http://www.name.com we are all familiar with.

In an interview with the BCS (British Computer Society), the inventor of the World Wide Web said that he would scrap the double-slash, simply because, as he says, 'there's no need for it'.

He also said that he would have put domain names the other way round and drop the full points and unnecessary 'www'. The example above would simply become http:com/name/.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/85579/web-creator-regrets-addressing-system.html

2. My own pet peeve Feb 28, 2009, 13:37 Ratty

Never noticed "Febuary." My own pet peeve is "dubya dubya dubya." Really, a broadcast professional should be able to handle "double u double u double u" without any problem at all. For us normal people, dubya is just fine--I'm no purist. Double u is hard to say three times fast without it sounding stilted. But people who talk for a living should be able to master it so that it sounds natural.  

News Comments > Game Reviews
5. Re: Game Reviews Feb 17, 2009, 11:41 Ratty

I made a resolution some time ago to never play a game without trying the beta first. Given how much I loved the first FEAR and both its expansions I bought FEAR 2 anyway. What a short memory I have. And what a waste of 50 buck. The game is unplayable on the PC. I would have been able to tell that instantly if only I played the demo.  

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Jan 19, 2009, 11:33 Ratty

Good list. But they missed Painkiller.  

100. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 5, 2008, 13:47 Ratty

This isn't about equal rights, it's about special rights. I'm not gay, and I can't marry a man. Neither can a gay man. So, there, we are equal.

By that logic miscegenation laws weren't unconstitutional either. A black person couldn't marry a white person, but neither could white people marry black. So everyone was equal, right?

News Comments > Far Cry 2 Patched
3. Re: Far Cry 2 Patched Nov 5, 2008, 13:45 Ratty

So how is the SP game? I LOVED FarCry but especially for the island locale. I'm not too crazy about the African setting but what do other people think? Is it worth getting?  

68. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 5, 2008, 11:27 Ratty

It's truly amazing and sad that Prop8 passed.

Now California is one of those states. So sad.

News Comments > Adventurous Site Seeing
2. Perry Rhodan Feb 11, 2008, 10:19 Ratty

I loved that series as a kid. I still have the entire run of the English version.

News Comments > Hellgate: London - Stonehenge Delay
14. Re: Recap please Jan 22, 2008, 14:37 Ratty

Couldn't have said it better myself. I was so excited about this game then as more and more information came out I steadily began to lose my enthusiasm. Supposed to be first person view, then it became third person by default (though you could change it in game). No save games. They adopted the same retarded system they used for Diablo 2.

I bought the game and only got a little ways into it. I keep meaning to get back to it but I know I never will.

12. Vomit Jan 4, 2008, 13:39 Ratty

Why are you the designated barf guy? Women have much stronger stomachs when it comes to poop, barf and diarrhea, being the child-bearers and all. I believe in an equitable, non-sexist division of labor. No reason men have to take out the garbage and kill spiders while women take care of the kids and do laundry. But when it comes to vomit situations, and diapers too, women should really step up to the plate. C'mon, you know it doesn't bother them as much as it bothers us!

19. Re: No subject Dec 19, 2007, 14:02 Ratty

The 40D is about $1300 but from what I've read

Since I'm in the market too I looked it up. Amazon lists it for what you said but there are a lot of places that list it for $499. Can that be right? Just do a Google search for "canon 40d".

http://www.thecameraprofessionals.com/prodetails.asp?prodid=276308

I have one of those little Canon 850IS pocket cameras and I hate it. Seriously, I DESPISE it. It almost never takes good pictures. It's blurry unless the subject is standing absolutely still. The zoom is worthless as the picture always turns out blurry if I use it. Yet it's hugely popular. Can I be THAT bad a photographer?

Anyway, the 40D is what I want, but not for $1300. What's going on with the $499 prices I'm seeing?

9. Chocolate Dec 19, 2007, 11:51 Ratty

I find it hard to believe chocolate is so deadly to dogs. I only just heard of this recently. Dogs have such a sweet tooth and such a penchant for getting into people food--wouldn't there be, like, dead dogs lying everywhere if chocolate was so poisonous? We'd have to step over their cute, furry little bodies everywhere we went, seems like. I've never heard of a dog dying from chocolate. Good thing I don't have a dog I guess. I give my cat some of everything I eat, including licking the ice cream from the bottom of the bowl. I can really see doing that with a dog .. chocolate ice cream too!

News Comments > Deus Ex 3 Confirmed
57. Re: No subject Nov 26, 2007, 21:32 Ratty

What? There was a DE2? When?

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh, they mean that Invisible War thing?

Maybe they should just go ahead and call if Deus Ex 2. After all, as you point out, there never really was a DX2. And it would kind of be like a series reboot. Also an admission that DX:IW maybe possibly didn't quite live up to the series name. You know, it's like Serious Sam, Serious Sam the Second Encounter, then Serious Sam 2. So there's gaming precedent.

I say bring back a couple of team members from the original but leave out Harvey and Warren, thank you very much.

This comment was edited on Nov 26, 21:33.

15. No subject Nov 4, 2007, 09:15 Ratty

Now why was I certain when I was reading the first part of this OoTB that it would turn out Blue wasn't the type of guy to actually go through with it and make the call? Good for you Blue. As a non-driver (never owned a car in my life) I've never understood road rage or even road anger.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
8. Re: GodTube Nov 4, 2007, 09:08 Ratty

Be scared be very scared....

http://www.godtube.com/view_video.php?viewkey=e842a039b2ee9e3f0517

Heh, I like this user comment:

I personally think that Darwin arrived at his theory from observing stages of embryo development through various abortions on factory floors.

16. Heroes ... and omelets Nov 1, 2007, 14:26 Ratty

I really liked Heroes when it first came out but then quickly saw it for the hack show it was. You can only be surprised that so-and-so turns out to have super powers so often. And what was with the whole stupid save the cheerleader save the world mantra. Did saving the cheerleader in fact end up saving the world? So stupid.

The omelet discussion is timely as I've been trying to hone my skill in this area just lately. My problem is I can't keep the eggs from browning. If I turn the heat low then the cheese doesn't melt. I think next I'll try adding the cheese, grated fine, the instant I put the eggs in, then add the rest of the ingredients after it cooks a bit. Maybe I can avoid the browning. I'll be trying both the water method and the tupperware method soon for fluffiness. My favorite is wild mushrooms sauteed in butter with shallots and a bit of garlic and just a drizzle of truffle oil over the top.

News Comments > Neverwinter Nights 2 Adventure Pack Announced
22. No subject Oct 23, 2007, 00:40 Ratty

Thanks for the recommendations. Yeah, I'm ashamed I could never get into BD. I know it's one of the best games evar. I think it was the touchy companions you had to constantly mollify, also it was hard.

1137 Comments. 57 pages. Viewing page 35.
< Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo