Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ratty

Real Name Ratty   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ratty
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 11, 2005, 20:15
Total Comments 1151 (Pro)
User ID 22908

User comment history
< Newer [ 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Screenshots
8. Re: Morning Screenshots Jun 1, 2010, 16:50 Ratty

One huge improvement Oblivion had over Morrowind was fighting. They dumped a lot of the turn-based stats fighting and made it all real time. One thing that bugged the hell out of me with Morrowind was how you couldn't even hit anything with a bow and arrow if your stats were too low. You could aim right at them from a foot away and still miss! In Oblivion if you aimed right you would hit them. Your archery stats affected the damage you dealt and included bonuses at set levels.

That's one example of moving combat a bit away from an RPG perspective that I think was successful. It made it more natural and visceral. It still retained very important RPG qualities though.

But it's hard to interpret the developer's comments. Will they remove all the combat-oriented stats? No more guns or energy weapons or explosives? What will be left? Lockpicking, hacking, swimming?

I don't know why I care. It's going to be a dumbed down piece of consolized crap I won't be buying anyway.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Offshore oil vs. offshore wind ... who wins? May 27, 2010, 11:55 Ratty

Hmmm, in item 2 doesn't the guy forget a decimal point. Should be 3.3 billion kilowatts not 33 billion. That makes it far less impressive. (Actually it should be 3.6 so maybe I'm not understanding his calculation)  

4. Re: Out of the Blue May 27, 2010, 11:22 Ratty

I'm moving into a new house in July and I'm agonizing about cutting down some trees. I don't have a whole lot of yard space and I've always wanted to have some fruit trees. These decorative trees are just taking up space. They're not so old and large it would be reprehensible but I sure don't want to start off on the wrong foot with the neighbors who may have grown fond of them. But damn I want some summer nectarines!  

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Patched, Mac Editions Released
4. Re: Half-Life 2 Patched, Mac Editions Released May 26, 2010, 16:56 Ratty

Hmm, I was playing the Minerva HL2 mod lately. Played fine this morning before I went to work. Now I go to load the game and get an error: ED_Alloc: no free edicts. Rats. I was on the last level and really wanted to finish it. I tried upping the edict count on the command line but no dice.  

7. Re: Out of the Blue May 14, 2010, 14:32 Ratty

I think i last read that Caprica was done for.
I'd heard that too so I decided to look it up. Nothing about it on Wikipedia. All I can find are rumors and reports that the ratings are low.

I didn't think I'd be into Caprica. The direction BSG took left a bad taste in my mouth and I suspected Caprica would be even more of the same. But after watching a couple of shows when I was bored I came to really like it.

5. Re: Out of the Blue May 14, 2010, 13:05 Ratty

Too bad about Flash Forward. Do I even bother watching what's on my DVR now?

Biggest surprise for me is The Cleveland Show will be back. WTF? I don't know ANYBODY who watches it. I watched the first couple of episodes cause, you know, Seth MacFarlane and all, but after that I'd seen all I needed.

My shows on now:
House
Lost
Fringe
Supernatural
Flash Forward
Stargate Universe
Family Guy
American Dad
South Park
Hoarders

There are a few others I'd like to watch but just don't have the time: Better Off Ted, Daily Show, Colbert Report, Warehouse 13.

And if/when they come back:
True Blood
Eureka
Sanctuary
Caprica
Outer Space Astronauts (LOVE this one)
Superjail

News Comments > Metaverse
2. Re: Metaverse May 4, 2010, 12:43 Ratty

As suspicious as I am of the government getting too involved with the internet, I think it has grown to become too important not to regulate net neutrality. The framers considered the US postal service so important they authorized it in the constitution and mandated that nobody may compete with it. The internet is the new postal service of our era and a vital public service. It needs to be protected from the whims of corporate interests.  

News Comments > Metaverse
2. Google search tips Apr 19, 2010, 15:02 Ratty

One trick I used to use was permanently excluding certain sites from Google search results but they don't let you do that anymore, probably under pressure from their advertisers. I used to regularly exclude those newsgroup aggregation sites that try to charge you for reading public usenet and other forum postings. Any time I did a search for something technical the damn leeches were always at the top of the results trying to get my money.

I don't notice it so much anymore but I still wish Google would let us exclude sites permanently.

News Comments > F.E.A.R. 3 This Fall
8. Re: F.E.A.R. 3 This Fall Apr 8, 2010, 21:19 Ratty

I seriously couldn't play more than 15 minutes of FEAR 2. What a waste of money. Fear 3? Who cares?  

News Comments > Pandemic's Cancelled Legends Revealed
4. Re: Pandemic's Cancelled Legends Revealed Apr 5, 2010, 18:54 Ratty

Looks kinda like Necrovision  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 2, 2010, 12:56 Ratty

From the related article: Crysis 2 faced ‘creative constraints’

"However, the challenges have allowed us to avoid over-designing features, to keep the focus narrower and tight for a compelling experience on all platforms."

Over-designing, narrower focus: Both euphemisms for dumbed down.

News Comments > Half-Life Pulse Detected
19. Re: Half-Life Pulse Detected Mar 27, 2010, 14:56 Ratty

Half-Life 2 had too much outdoor action for my taste. In contrast to Half-Life's mostly indoor settings. As for scaring the player, I was disappointed HL2 went for the very tired pitch black, flashlight batteries only last a minute style cheap scares. It annoyed the hell out of me and when I replay I just skip that stupid part. Ravenholme was superb and I hope that's what they're aiming for, not Doom 3 monster closets and more annoying pitch black settings.  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 16, 2010, 12:21 Ratty

I would love to see, even in a small section, an editorial column from Blue about what he's playing lately and what he thinks of it...
Yeah, that would be ideal. But at least some kind of sticky forum topic where users can discuss games they're playing. Right now all you can do is post or read something in a Ships Ahoy item or a game review item, but then it's gone in a couple of days. How are Blues Newsers enjoying Bioshock 2 now that they've been playing it awhile? There's really no place to find that out except the next time a Bioshock 2 related news item shows up. Maybe a sidebar section labeled "Popular Games?" I know there are lots of other places one can go to discuss specific games but I've kinda gotten to know a lot of the posters here and respect their opinions.

News Comments > Wheel of Time Rolls to Obsidian
10. Re: Wheel of Time Rolls to Obsidian Feb 12, 2010, 15:20 Ratty

Hmm, the first one was pretty good. I might hunt up the disk and play through it again. I got Bioshock 2 but after playing for a few minutes I just can't seem to get myself in the mood to play anymore. It might have to be one of those games that "ages" for a while before I want to play it. Like Crysis. I've had that one installed for a couple of years but only started playing it a couple months ago. Now I'm on my third play through.  

News Comments > PC BioShock 2 Widescreen & Gamepad Issues
37. Re: PC BioShock 2 Widescreen & Gamepad Issues Feb 10, 2010, 15:44 Ratty

The decision was made early on not to support controllers at all in order to ensure that we got the mouse and keyboard control absolutely right.
I call bullshit. I've only played about 30 minutes but the two bugs I encountered right away were with mouse and keyboard. It won't remember the settings for my mouse speed between games. I always have to go back and reset it. Second problem was remapping the "use" key makes it not work in some contexts.

You can tell they had something like 50 testers for the consoles and maybe one tester for the PC, on his lunch breaks.

News Comments > F.E.A.R. 3 Spoilers?
5. Re: F.E.A.R. 3 Spoilers? Feb 4, 2010, 12:11 Ratty

I'm done with the F.E.A.R. series too. I swore I'd never buy another game again without first playing a demo, after so many disappointing "sure things." But what did I do but buy F.E.A.R. 2 right after it came out. I couldn't play more than half an hour of the consolized piece of shit. Damn you steam! You make impulse buying too easy.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat
10. Re: Ships Ahoy - S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat Feb 2, 2010, 19:00 Ratty

This makes me feel guilty. I never played very far in the first S.T.A.L.K.E.R. I just gave up after a few hours for no good reason. I know it's a great game but I could never get into it. Now every time I go to play another game it just sits there, looking at me.  

News Comments > Serious Sam Forever Multiplayer Demo
3. Re: Serious Sam Forever Multiplayer Demo Jan 25, 2010, 16:42 Ratty

Diabolus in Musica wrote on Jan 25, 2010, 16:30:
Is this like Duke Nukem Forever except it gets released this century? You think they'd pick a different name.
Nah, Croteam loves to poke fun at Duke Nukem. Besides, didn't 3D Realsm threaten to sue Croteam if they made Sam blonde? I think calling it Serious Sam Forever is the ultimate dig. I love it!

News Comments > Elder Scrolls MMOG Revealed?
11. Re: Elder Scrolls MMOG Revealed? Jan 20, 2010, 12:15 Ratty

And yes, I remember Daggerfall. As buggy and odd as that game was at times, it is still by far the best Elder Scrolls ever.
There were some truly awful things about Daggerfall (it nuked my hard drive and I had to replace it), but it was still the best of the ES games. I loved the HUUUGE dungeons. I loved the procedurally generated terrain, villages, and quests. I played it long after I finished the main quest. I loved Arena too (and boy do I sure miss pass-wall!). I loved Oblivion for awhile. After the main quest it got boring and shallow and I never played it again.

News Comments > On BioShock 2 Vita-Chambers and Backtracking
20. Re: On BioShock 2 Vita-Chambers and Backtracking Jan 13, 2010, 15:54 Ratty

I actually backtracked a lot
Yeah, I did too. Plus there were machines with different plasmids on each level, different ammo in the ammo machines. I kind of cheated and didn't kill the Big Daddies and Little Sisters in the first level until I had gotten the camera in the second level so I had more opportunities to complete research a little earlier.

I doubt it's a console-issue (and I'm one who loves to blame everything on consoles). Sounds like just what they said, too much work for something hardly used. I'll be sad to see it go but it hardly ruins the game for me.

1151 Comments. 58 pages. Viewing page 34.
< Newer [ 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo