Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ratty

Real Name Ratty   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ratty
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 11, 2005, 20:15
Total Comments 1138 (Pro)
User ID 22908

User comment history
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

News Comments > Elder Scrolls 5 Rumor
55. Re: Elder Scrolls 5 Rumor Nov 23, 2010, 15:58 Ratty

Exact opposite here. I thought the generic fantasy setting of Oblivion was pretty boring, whereas Morrowind was pretty intriguing.
And I totally respect that opinion. I guess it's my sloped forehead that makes me prefer the more familiar I always found those plant houses soooo annoying with their narrow winding staircases where I kept getting stuck on the walls. And don't get me started on the wizard buildings - levitation required! But the big crab-shell city was pretty cool.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

47. Re: Arena: The Elder Scrolls... Nov 23, 2010, 15:29 Ratty

The first Elder Scrolls game is my favorite game of all time, I still think about it from time to time.
One word: PASSWALL!!

30. Re: Elder Scrolls 5 Rumor Nov 23, 2010, 14:12 Ratty

About the new id engine, there was a posting here just a couple of days ago where Todd Howard specifically said they weren't using rage because it was best suited to smaller, more linear games while Gamebryo was best for large non-linear expansive games. You guys can stop dreaming now.  

29. Re: Elder Scrolls 5 Rumor Nov 23, 2010, 14:07 Ratty

As someone who has played every ES game since Arena (on floppy disks no less!) I decree Daggerfall was the best and buggiest of them all. It totally trashed my hard drive and I had to replace it. It was also the last of the HUGENORMOUS dungeons and dynamically generated content both of which I adored and miss bitterly in the last two sequels.

It's sacrilegious I know but I enjoyed Oblivion way more than Morrowind. Morrowind was too "weird". Oblivion had grass and trees and honest-to-god castles and medieval style hamlets. Morrowind had those stupid shopping mall cities I detested. Archery was actually a useful skill as was Alchemy (I mastered both in Oblivion, never bothered to in Morrowind). Poisons kicked ass! Combat was more visceral and realistic. Never really cared that they got rid of Unarmored and other fluff skills - tho I know people vowed to never play another Bethesda game ever AGAIN because of it. And HORSIES! You could ride HORSIES!

OK, leveled enemies and loot just totally sucked ass and damaged the game tremendously. I think they learned their lesson there. I also missed levitation a lot. I know they had to do it because cities were in their own loading zones (and how annoying is that?). I wish they'd come up with an engine that could do large detailed cities with no separate loading zone like in FarCry or something. I'm sure limitations of the XBox has a lot to do with that so it's something we'll have to live with until the next gen.

Yeah, OK, I'm doing ANOTHER Morrowind vs Oblivion post. Sue me.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 18, 2010, 11:55 Ratty

While I'm still all for legislated net neutrality it's just this sort of thing that's always made me wary of the government getting involved in the internet.  

News Comments > Bulletstorm Trailer
2. Re: Bulletstorm Trailer Nov 16, 2010, 10:55 Ratty

Hordes of enemies, hugenormous monsters, yep, it's a PCF title. I'm there!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2010, 19:44 Ratty

The hole in underwear was not designed to allow you to pull your dick out
Not according to Wikipedia

Briefs often feature a fly - a covered opening on the front of the garment which allows for convenience at urinals.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2010, 14:43 Ratty

This OotB is useless without pictures.  

News Comments > Halloween Safety Dance
7. Re: Halloween Safety Dance Oct 31, 2010, 22:13 Ratty

Damn, I would have bet my left nut that last item was from The Onion.  

News Comments > Fallout: New Vegas Patched
92. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Patched Oct 22, 2010, 15:24 Ratty

I seem to have gotten out of the starting/kiddie area, as now I'm definitely running into stuff that'll hand my ass to me at level 9 if I stray too far from the roads etc.

What I really enjoy is that Obsidian hired Jorge "Oscuro", the guy who made Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul, and his influence in the placement of monsters and such is definitely shining through.
Speaking of Oblivion, it's nice to play a Bethesda game where if you want you can go out to some very dangerous places way before you're ready and get completely owned you can. None of this nice, cozy, wilderness that never hands you more than you are comfortable with and only ever levels up when you do.

1. "Twilight Zone" Gets A Cinematic Reboot. Oct 22, 2010, 11:38 Ratty

Why is everything a reboot nowdays? How do you reboot an anthology series?  

79. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Patched Oct 21, 2010, 18:09 Ratty

*Groan* Still a whole nother hour to go until I get to go home ...  

75. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Patched Oct 21, 2010, 16:04 Ratty

The one thing I'm not liking about the game that I miss from FO3 is the sense of danger. In 3, if I strayed into an area that was "out of level", I very quickly got my ass handed to me. Here, with one or two exceptions, I haven't really felt threatened at all.
Wow, that's not my experience at all. I've been going to all sorts of places way out of my league at level 4 and have been having my butt handed to me. There is definitely a very tangible sense of danger out there. Just try heading past those stop signs past Goodsprings and see how far you get.

Though in the case of your Nipton example, yeah, I did the same as you and it wasn't too hard. It seems to me if you stick to the main roads and follow the quest you don't run into too much you can't handle but when you venture out on your own watch out.

70. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Patched Oct 21, 2010, 15:06 Ratty

I always regret never having played the original Fallouts as I know they were considered legendary. So yeah, FO3 was my first.

BTW, I just had my first "Confirmed Bachelor" dialog with the guy behind the counter at the NCR outpost. I gave him the old "So what's your name?" line and one thing lead to another. He finally explained regretfully that, you know, he would and all but people here out west just don't understand "special friendships" like they do back east. I called him a spineless pussy and stormed out. Bah, he wasn't even that good looking.

58. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Patched Oct 21, 2010, 13:21 Ratty

All in all, still not liking it as much as FO3. I keep waiting for it to actually, like, take off, and show me something awesome. So far it's been one abandoned outpost after the other, or the occasional outpost with 2 bandits in it. :\
That's my experience as well. I'm not hating it - in fact I'm having a really good time - but I don't see yet what other people are talking about when they say it's way better than FO3.

News Comments > Fallout: New Vegas Tools
42. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Tools Oct 20, 2010, 10:58 Ratty

The game ran horrible on first launch with consistant choppiness. I realized the launcher improperly set the graphic settings to ultra for my 3 year old computer. Changing this to high made all the difference. About 5 hours in and the game has crashed to the desktop once on me. Thankfully I had just exited a building and the game auto-saved. That aside, really enjoying the gameplay and exploration.
Ditto. After one crash about an hour in I've not had any other problems. I created a desktop shortcut as recommended and was able to change the graphical settings. I appreciate other people have problems but on my 6 year old computer it's running like a dream, no problems for me. I'm really loving the game.

It's funny, the one silver lining to the dominance of consoles over PCs is I bought this computer in 2004 and can still play the newest games at pretty high graphical settings. I upgraded the video card once in all that time. By the time the next gen consoles come out I'll be able to buy a new PC with a 1024 bit OS and a bazillion cores, but until then this PC still works spectacularly.

News Comments > Game Reviews
19. Re: Game Reviews Oct 19, 2010, 15:18 Ratty

OK, just had my first crash after an hour of playing. The other bug is so senseless: Doesn't seem to be any way to change graphic settings. At the first menu you can change things like resolution, anti-aliasing, etc. but the changes are ignored. When you then go into the game to play the settings are what they were originally. How could this have gotten past QA? Luckily my machine can handle the somewhat high settings. It's a little rough but still playable.  

News Comments > Game Reviews
11. Re: Game Reviews Oct 19, 2010, 13:59 Ratty

Called in sick to work today to play. Just built my character and left Doc's office. Haven't read any reviews yet. Did someone say bugs?  

News Comments > Thief Source Code Recovered?
18. Re: Thief Source Code Recovered? Oct 17, 2010, 12:57 Ratty

Yeah, I've played FMs religiously for many years, I finally got tired of it about a year ago and haven't played any since. Really, I've enjoyed Thief 1 and 2 way more for the FMs than for the OMs. That's not to say I think any of the FMs were better than the originals - just that the whole FM experience has been wonderful, seeing what people come up with, something fun to do when I'm bored.  

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Interview
9. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Interview Oct 15, 2010, 15:25 Ratty

but admittedly, it was still fun in parts.
Yes, it was. The travesty was all in having the name "Deus Ex" in the title. On its own and without considering its pedigree it was a decent game.

I've learned from bitter experience not to take these assurances that PC gamers won't feel shafted with a grain of salt. Still, I heard someplace that they were keeping the grid inventory? Not that I'm particularly wedded to the original inventory system - it wouldn't make me particularly mad if they got rid of it - but it would seem like the first thing to go in a developer's frenzy to make everything accessible, casual, consolized, dumbed-down or whatever you want to call it. That they're keeping it seems like a good omen to me.

But I'm probably just grasping at straws there.

Edit to ask: what is a "third person cover system?"

1138 Comments. 57 pages. Viewing page 31.
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo