Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ratty

Real Name Ratty   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ratty
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 11, 2005, 20:15
Total Comments 1149 (Pro)
User ID 22908

User comment history
< Newer [ 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ] Older >

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Brotherhood PC Interview
8. Re: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood PC Interview Jan 31, 2011, 10:50 Ratty

necrosis wrote on Jan 31, 2011, 10:39:
Ubi (and all other game developers). Get it through your thick heads. No matter what you do to the game releasing it MONTHS after consoles will leave people not giving a shit.
I disagree. I whine constantly about the consolized shit we have to put up with but I also recognize the economics of the situation. Somewhat. I'm not giving a free pass to these guys, I'm just saying I know it's a difficult situation in an industry that sees quality studios fall right and left. I'm perfectly happy with a PC version coming months later if it gives them time to get it right. None of this simultaneous release on all platforms nonsense. When has that ever worked out for the PC gamer?

It's nice to see this from the guys making DX3. Yeah, if they did the same with DX3 I'd be very happy.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Previews
1. Re: Inside Skyrim's menu system overhaul Jan 28, 2011, 22:34 Ratty

Ugh. Why am I reminded of Deus Ex 2's retarded eyeball HUD?  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 28, 2011, 12:14 Ratty

Archer is definitely a guilty pleasure for me. Last night's episode is on DVR for tonight's viewing pleasure.  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 27, 2011, 11:25 Ratty

Looking forward to the new BSG. Let's hope there isn't any of that mysticism angel shit that completely ruined the 2nd half of the last BSG.  

News Comments > Pete Hines Interview
4. Re: Pete Hines Interview Jan 26, 2011, 11:24 Ratty

I'd sure like an explanation, someday, of why they ALWAYS refuse to do simple things for PC like reduce the font and the map. Someone always comes out with a mod to do that within days of the game's release. I always guess it's because of some backroom deal with Microsoft that the two versions be identical. Crazy, but what other explanation could there be?

I'm not sure what to think of Rage. I'll definitely be checking out reviews and comments here before I buy. From what I've seen it looks very much like Borderlands but with cars - not something I'm inclined to play.

31. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 25, 2011, 13:43 Ratty

Sepharo wrote on Jan 25, 2011, 00:05:
Interesting guest news post on Penny-Arcade today discussing porting a console shooter
http://www.penny-arcade.com/2011/1/24/
Thanks Sepharo. That WAS an interesting read. I finally gave in last year and got a 360 - first console I ever owned. I tried a few games, finally got the hang of movement but aiming was just too damn frustrating. I now use it exclusively for Netflix streaming. Also it's fun to sit around the living room watching the kids play when the relatives visit: one experience that's much more fun on a console than a PC.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 25, 2011, 11:04 Ratty

Still too early to say whether Shameless will be a regular part of my TV viewing. Showtime doesn't tend to cancel shows as quickly as other networks so I'm not so worried about investing my time only to be disappointed later. I haven't seen episode 3 yet but so far the William H. Macy character is my least favorite and he's I guess the star of the show. The other characters are great and there's a lot of potential there. But if it gets to be too much about Macy I'll probably quit watching unless he gets a whole lot more interesting.  

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2011, 14:03 Ratty

Beamer wrote on Jan 24, 2011, 13:08:
Honestly, why give them the 25% markup? I know it's a standard thing to say around here, but building a computer is pretty damn easy. If you don't want to do it yourself and have a Microcenter near you they do it for $80 I believe, which is still cheaper than buying from Cyberpower.
I have plenty of hobbies. Building my own computer is not one of them. That should be for people who enjoy that kind of thing. Thanks for mentioning Microcenter though. I'd not heard of them before. It sounds like a nice balance between OEM and do-it-yourself.
nin wrote on Jan 24, 2011, 13:44:
After building them myself for years, I'm now on my second Dell. Last one had the videocard die just shy of 3 years, which is fine, since that's when I swap hardware anyway.

Alienware you'll generally pay out the nose for.
I was the one posting a week or two ago about my 6 year old Dell still running XP. Funny, just a couple of days after that my video card crapped out (which one of you put a hex on me??). I was going to replace it with a better one (not top of the line, just something a bit better) then I realized my PSU wouldn't support anything newer than what I had. So I figured I had a good run and it was time to move on. But 6 years is a good long time for a gaming computer with great performance and that has never given me any problems. So yeah, I'm kind of a fan of Dell now, hate to say it.

As for Alienware, I'm willing to shell out the bucks but I'm not just going to throw my money away.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2011, 12:57 Ratty

Totally non-OotB related - no tongues freezing on poles: Who do you guys recommend to build a top-of-the-line gaming computer? I've had good luck with Dell but their Alienware brand doesn't seem to do NVidia plus it's all just so overpriced. I was thinking CyberPower. Their stuff is super customizable and very price competitive but there are an awful lot of bad reviews out there, but most of them quite are old to be fair.  

News Comments > DNF Date Announcement, Trailer, Demo Details
61. Re: DNF Date Announcement, Trailer, Demo Details Jan 21, 2011, 17:25 Ratty

Console games don't use AA? How come I never knew that?  

News Comments > DNF Date Announcement, Trailer, Demo Details
38. Re: DNF Date Announcement, Trailer, Demo Details Jan 21, 2011, 14:29 Ratty

Despite the well-deserved ridicule this title has earned over the MANY years, I've always looked forward to it.  

News Comments > On Skyrim Mod Support
24. Re: matthew@welchkin.net Jan 20, 2011, 16:31 Ratty

Bows are a coward's weapon, heh. And it does take awhile to get it up to something useful, definitely. I just started Oblivion again for the first time in over a year and this time I thought I'd try Oscuro's Overhaul - I'd never installed it before. Man is it AWESOME. But it's also very tough at low levels. I'm level 2 and my Marksman's still only at 21 so my arrows do almost no damage. I find I have to run out of dungeons screaming like a girl to the nearest horseback patrol and let them finish off the bandit or whatever while I snipe them ineffectually from a distance.

But once you get the knockdown perk at level 75 it's a scream. And a lot of things will go down with a single stealthy shot from a long way away. It's tough to get there but for me it's always worth it.

In Morrowind it was your accuracy that was affected by skill, not the damage (or perhaps both). I remember standing 2 feet away from an enemy, firing an arrow and watching it fly off literally at right angles. At low levels almost every shot missed. In Oblivion the accuracy is as good as you are with the mouse, that's the way it should be. Even at the lowest skill you can aim at something 100 yards away, just a bit over the head to correct for the arc, and you can hit it. And since it's so far away getting the stealth damage multiplier was easy.

News Comments > On Skyrim Mod Support
20. Re: matthew@welchkin.net Jan 20, 2011, 11:51 Ratty

Watter wrote on Jan 20, 2011, 08:53:
I did the same. But what i could never get over was the horrible combat in Morrowind and Oblivion

Amen!!
Just out of curiosity what was wrong with Oblivion's combat system? It was my favorite improvement over Morrowind. I thought it was visceral and brutal. You could really feel the sword hacking in. And blocking with a shield was realistic too. I thought Marksmanship in Morrowind was useless, lord knows I tried, but bows are my weapon of choice in Oblivion. Personally I've never played any other game whose combat mechanics even comes close to Oblivion's

Maybe you're complaining about leveling: that hacking at a crab gives the same XP as taking a swing at Umbra?

1. TV Survival Scorecard Jan 14, 2011, 11:32 Ratty

I watch Fringe and Supernatural - they're both in the Shaky Ground category. It's probably just as well, I still love Supernatural but even I admit the concept is getting kind of stale. I see The Cape is there too. It's normally a show I'd check out but given NBC's tendency to cancel these types of shows I decided I wouldn't bother investing in it. I watched Million Dollar Money Drop which is kind of a fun concept and could have been good but the questions are so asinine I'm glad it'll be canceled.  

News Comments > No S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Console Compromises
5. Re: No S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Console Compromises Jan 12, 2011, 10:55 Ratty

fds wrote on Jan 12, 2011, 10:22:
The key difference should not be simply taking advantage of the better hardware but having a different control/user interface, save system, menus, modding, open multiplayer

Simplify all those for a console gamer sitting on the couch far away from a TV screen with no mouse and keyboard at hand, and presto, lousy console port. It's not about the graphics.
It's absolutely not about graphics, I agree with you completely. I think fundamental gameplay is affected as well. There was a quote from the XBox guy at Microsoft I read many years ago. I've never been able to find the quote again online but I'll never forget it. He said "We don't do circle-strafing" in reference to a game which I now don't remember. So if you have to design a game, its enemies, the weapons, the movement keys, simply to eliminate the necessity or advantages of circle-strafing to mollify console users then PC users get shitted on again.

Still remember circle-strafing zombies with a pitchfork in the original Blood. Good times.

News Comments > Bulletstorm Specs
25. Re: Bulletstorm Specs Jan 11, 2011, 16:27 Ratty

Verno wrote on Jan 11, 2011, 15:46:
Honestly the people who constantly prattle on about XP ... With Windows Vista there was some understandable(but misguided) resistance to upgrading but Windows 7 is a fantastic operating system.
To be fair to me, except for my vague paranoia about DRM, I never claimed XP was superior to W7. I'll not be one of those people that gets a new computer and scours eBay for old copies of XP. All *I* ever said was I had no need to upgrade and that I was glad that I'll be able to play PCF's new game cause I love those guys. When I *have* to upgrade I'll get a new OS as well and I'm sure I'll probably be very happy with it.

Really, for a primarily gaming computer that has been stable and never given me a day of troubles why should I shell out the bucks for a new OS? How would it enhance my gaming experience?

I'm sure you weren't calling me out specifically, I just want to make sure I'm not lumped in with the cranks.

15. Re: Bulletstorm Specs Jan 11, 2011, 14:53 Ratty

JoeNapalm wrote on Jan 11, 2011, 14:20:
Free horse armor
Heh

7. Re: Bulletstorm Specs Jan 11, 2011, 13:08 Ratty

Halo wrote on Jan 11, 2011, 12:33:
What is there to hate about XP? I use XP because I'm still running seven year old hardware on this PC.
Yeah, my PC is about 6 years old now. It's primarily a gaming PC and so far I've been able to play every game I've wanted at high settings. It's a single-core 3.6 MHz which was top of the line when I bought it. I only upgraded the video card once.
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jan 11, 2011, 11:56:
I don't understand why people still cling to XP. Win7 is better in pretty much every way imaginable.
I'm happy with what I have. Why should I upgrade? I guess there are some people that always have to have the latest and greatest, I'm just not one of them (also I'm cheap).

But another reason is that I'm wary of all the new DRM crap being built into everything new nowdays. Rightly or wrongly, I'm a bit paranoid. I have heard, but correct me if I'm wrong, that one cannot play HD content of any kind without an HDMI cable in Windows 7. So if I upgraded my OS I'd also have to upgrade my monitor as well. Intel is planning to build DRM into the very core of its processors. I know eventually I'll have to surrender, but when I do get a new PC I'm keeping the old one to use as a media center.
The Advocate wrote:
I'm sure a Model T would still classify as "already working" too. However, I prefer modern conveniences like air conditioning.
Wow, that's a stunningly retarded analogy. Did I say I wanted to keep my room-sized Univac, or maybe my old DOS 1.0 box?

1. Re: Bulletstorm Specs Jan 11, 2011, 11:52 Ratty

Yay! Supports Windows XP. I know it won't be long until I have to upgrade - most likely due to a DX 10 requirement in some upcoming game I really want to play - but I'm trying to wait until the very last minute.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 22, 2010, 14:47 Ratty

I have no problem with tiered services or data caps as long as they are completely data agnostic. The consumer pays for more bandwidth and faster speed - fine. Let the market decide how viable that turns out to be.

But when the content is used to determine network priority that's when I have a huge problem. We're potentially looking at content-based packages similar to the channel packages we all love soooo much from our cable companies. Pay a certain amount of money to access Google, Youtube, and Hulu at high speeds and high data caps. But not Netflix because Comcast owns NBC and Hulu and Netflix competes with its own Pay Per View service. Netflix would be part of a "premium" package because they refused to pay some exorbitant fee.

Because of all the weasel words and loopholes, I don't see anything in this legislation that would prevent that.

1149 Comments. 58 pages. Viewing page 30.
< Newer [ 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo