Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ratty

Real Name Ratty   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ratty
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 11, 2005, 20:15
Total Comments 1149 (Pro)
User ID 22908

User comment history
< Newer [ 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 3, 2011, 15:22 Ratty

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 3, 2011, 13:19:
Never have read any more of the Thomas Covenant stuff. How did the later stuff do compared to the original three books?
I think the first trilogy was definitely the most enjoyable. The others were definitely worth reading but in each terrible things have happened to the Land and it's all just weirder and more depressing. I'm not liking the third trilogy as much as the first two so far.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 3, 2011, 12:01 Ratty

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 3, 2011, 11:28:
Ratty wrote on Mar 3, 2011, 11:02:
Loved Game of Thrones but it was one of those things where by the time the next book came out I totally forgot the characters and plot of the previous books..
This is why I have purchased the books but not read them yet... I am waiting for him to finish.
Just finished the third new Thomas Covenant book but after I had tried to read the first chapter I decided to go back and reread book 2 first and it made all the difference in the world. I had forgot so much of it it was like reading it entirely new for the first time. I think I tried that with Game of Thrones but as somebody said there are so many characters and subplots I would have had to go back to the very first book and start all over. I think you have it right, wait for it to be finished. The TV series will hold me over in the meantime.

News Comments > DNF Uncut in Germany
8. Re: DNF Uncut in Germany Mar 3, 2011, 11:16 Ratty

JoeNapalm wrote on Mar 3, 2011, 10:55:
You...you were still looking forward to this?
Yup.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 3, 2011, 11:02 Ratty

Loved Game of Thrones but it was one of those things where by the time the next book came out I totally forgot the characters and plot of the previous books so just kind of gave up. I've always intended to pick it up from the beginning at some point and read the whole series all the way through but I'm kind of wondering whether I should hold off until well after the new TV series gets started. I'm thinking it might make the series fresher and more enjoyable with some surprises that might have been spoiled by rereading the books.  

News Comments > DNF Uncut in Germany
6. Re: DNF Uncut in Germany Mar 3, 2011, 10:52 Ratty

Well now I guess I'm not looking forward to it as much.  

News Comments > Assassinís Creed Brotherhood Trailer
4. Re: Assassinís Creed Brotherhood Trailer Mar 2, 2011, 15:51 Ratty

I might just check it out. I'm definitely waiting before I get Bulletstorm on sale. Might be waiting on Crysis 2 depending on any SP demo they release. And I keep telling myself I'll wait on Skyrim this time until the usual must-have mods come out. That leaves me with no games lined up for awhile (or I could *ahem* actually finish Starcraft II)  

News Comments > Assassinís Creed Brotherhood Trailer
1. Re: Assassinís Creed Brotherhood Trailer Mar 2, 2011, 15:18 Ratty

I've not played Assassin's Creed but this reminds of, I think, the second computer game I ever played in my life after Myst. The Journeyman Project had you time traveling to Da Vinci's workshop and I remember how absolutely captivating it was wandering around the deserted workshop and gardens in the early Florence evening.

Anyway, so is this Assassin's Creed game any fun?

News Comments > Unreal Engine 3 Adding DirectX 11 Support
22. Re: Unreal Engine 3 Adding DirectX 11 Support Mar 2, 2011, 10:51 Ratty

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Mar 2, 2011, 04:47:
I can't even imagine how bad an X360 with just 256MB RAM would have been... it would have given a huge advantage to Sony and been an even bigger bane to PC gamers.
I know, right? Can you imagine? Like someone said, consoles can use memory much more efficiently than a PC can. But it's still pretty piddling and just demonstrates where console developers' priorities are. First, looks are king. If the game looks great that's 90% of what's important right there and 256 MB was probably enough to use DX 9 plus a few shaders with texture resolutions good enough for viewing from 10 feet away. The rest is probably networking and letting you buy downloads on XBox Live.

Huge levels? Forget it. There's a chance you might actually have to spend 30 seconds without meeting anybody or doing anything if the level is large. Like Warren Spector said about DX2: Nobody likes running around in big levels. Lots of polygons? No way. You only need enough to render a football quarterback's butt and the latest John Madden titles don't need lots of polygons in those wide open football fields. AI? Who needs AI when you're racing downhill on a skateboard or lobbing a tennis ball across a court? And there only ever needs to be enough physics to make things explode all pretty.

News Comments > Crysis 2 Multiplayer Demo
38. Re: Crysis 2 Multiplayer Demo Mar 1, 2011, 16:04 Ratty

DangerDog wrote on Mar 1, 2011, 15:58:
Crytek has held back on showing anything about the PC version only to make claims in interviews that they are still dedicated to supporting the PC platform, these and other gaffs just reinforces that their out of touch with the PC community, they either don't care or their just too damn lazy to make a proper PC version.
What it shows is that they have shifted their priority to consoles. And you know what? I'm mostly OK with that. It's an economic reality. Nothing anyone can do about that. They're a company, they have to make money and it's a cutthroat business. I'm OK with it as long as, at the end of the day, I end up with a quality PC game, however they make that happen.

Now all of this is not to say I don't think there's a very good chance that Crysis 2 will end up being a consoley piece of shit not even worth picking up on sale for $5. I'm just not basing that opinion on the MP demo.

News Comments > Crysis 2 Multiplayer Demo
35. Re: Crysis 2 Multiplayer Demo Mar 1, 2011, 15:47 Ratty

I'll defend Crytek here. It doesn't trouble me that they didn't optimize an MP demo for the PC. Look, it's a taste of what MP gameplay will be like and how the nanosuit figures into stratgey and all that. They didn't want to concern themselves with performance and graphics just now. So we get things like only preset graphics options because the demo is only DX 9 and lacks AA. Jeez guys, take it in the spirit in which it was offered. Weren't you the same guys bitching about how the demo was XBox-exclusive just a week or two ago? If I criticize Crytek and EA at all it's for not making this clear. I don't know where Blue got the blurb about using the demo as an opportunity to see how it runs on your system, but it's clearly not intended for that.

The final game will be DX11, we know that. Expect your detailed graphical options to become available then. As much as a consolitis pessimist as I am, I won't be truly alarmed unless the SP demo says "Press Start" then I'll join the bitching and moaning along with the rest of you.

News Comments > Thief 4 Image
29. Re: Thief 4 Image Feb 25, 2011, 16:30 Ratty

Flatline wrote on Feb 25, 2011, 16:18:
Err... T2 had the same engine and similar AI... and... oh wait, this a troll?
They both used the dark engine but T2's was based on System Shock 2's version and had, among other things 16 bit textures rather than 8-bit - I'm no graphics whore but even to my eye the difference there was drastic - and could do longer lines of sight and huger areas. They constructed the City in missions like "Tracing the Courier" in one single huge air brush, something that would have brought Thief 1 to its knees. The AI was much improved especially in how they searched for you. They could do things like if you climbed up somewhere out of reach they would go call an archer to come shoot at you, and other less noticeable nice things.

Back to monsters though. Why do you think you couldn't sneak past monsters? The only difference there was you could kill a monster on expert level if you wanted to without failing the mission.

27. Re: Thief 4 Image Feb 25, 2011, 16:13 Ratty

Flatline wrote on Feb 25, 2011, 15:27:
Thief 2 was superior in almost every way imaginable to the original Thief.

I enjoyed the story to T1 better personally, but you're not remembering the monsters and undead levels that took all that lovely sneaking gameplay and threw it away.
OMG you have it so backwards. Though Thief 2 was no slouch - it had a better engine and better AI - Thief 1 is pretty much the unanimous favorite among die-hard Thief fans. You silly newbie. Monsters and undead were one of the things that made Thief 1 so legendary. Anyway, Thief 2 had plenty of monsters and undead. LGS just decided to keep them in their own separate missions and not mix undead and "living" in the same mission. But look over any list of T2 missions and you'll remember.

News Comments > Crysis 2 Invisibility Trailer
1. Re: Crysis 2 Invisibility Trailer Feb 25, 2011, 14:00 Ratty

I know a lot of people had problems with invisibility in Crysis - it made things too easy, whatever - but I liked it. But then again I'm pretty much of a coward player. Still, it would have been nice if they introduced certain elements that could see through your invisibility: sensors like in StarCraft, enemy nanosuits with goggles or something. That would make true stealth an important part of the game, at least at selected moments. Plus it would keep cowards like me on our toes.  

11. Re: Thief 4 Image Feb 25, 2011, 11:13 Ratty

Zyrxil wrote on Feb 25, 2011, 10:07:
Don't fuck this up!
Oh please. I think it's a given they'll fuck it up. I just wish now they'd let the Thief franchise die a noble respectable death.

News Comments > Red Faction Armageddon Dates
8. Re: Red Faction Armageddon Dates Feb 23, 2011, 11:36 Ratty

I was looking forward to another Red Faction that took place on Mars ... until I just now saw the SyFy tie-in.  

6. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 23, 2011, 11:23 Ratty

I've been pretty disappointed with Netflix streaming. Sure, they have all the latest big movies but their TV offerings are meager. But somewhere above today's OotB is an article about CBS opening up its library to Netflix so hopefully this will change over time.

I'm using the XBox Live interface - really it was the biggest reason I got an XBox a few months back. The really infuriating thing with that is there doesn't seem to be a way to filter results based on whether or not the title is available for streaming. Madness! It does seem as if the streamable titles usually list first though. Also, I'd love to be able to filter on whether the title is HD or not. And I wish searches could return more than 50 results.

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Whodunit
12. Re: Half-Life 2 Whodunit Feb 22, 2011, 11:38 Ratty

The part I don't get, where the German police said he was lucky he never got on the plane. So Newell informed the police there but he still wanted the hacker to come to the US to be prosecuted? If that's the case was Newell pissed?  

News Comments > Smell-O-Vision
15. Re: Smell-O-Vision Feb 21, 2011, 13:10 Ratty

Esoteric wrote on Feb 21, 2011, 12:36:
Even though this sounds really hokey and gimmicky, I wonder how much it would actually have an effect on gameplay experience. Smell is a very powerful sense. Just think of experiencing certain smells and how it can vividly remind you of a past time or event.
I know, right? As stupid as it sounds I'm intrigued.

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
1. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Feb 20, 2011, 14:51 Ratty

I still have java installed on my PC for the rare application I work on but several years back I turned off java in my browser options and never bothered to turn it back on. Java in the browser is just annoying, whether it's another version of flashy ads to get your attention or a slow-loading un-native feeling app that would be better done in dhtml or flash.  

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
1. Re: Report: Bulletstorm Leaked to File-Sharing Sites Feb 20, 2011, 14:35 Ratty

I know I should be sad and outraged or whatever, and I do like PCF, but I can't help feeling a little bit of glee that this was an XBox leak. Console pirating is killing the industry.  

1149 Comments. 58 pages. Viewing page 27.
< Newer [ 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo