Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ratty

Real Name Ratty   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ratty
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 11, 2005, 20:15
Total Comments 1111 (Pro)
User ID 22908

User comment history
< Newer [ 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
9. Re: Evening Safety Dance Feb 9, 2011, 14:48 Ratty

RoboNerd wrote on Feb 9, 2011, 09:31:
I really yearn for the old Bluesnews that didn't drive off into the political weeds with "Fox Bad" while posting more and more content from The Huffington Post. A pox on all their houses. And now back to gaming...
"Fox Bad?" Seriously, is that even a left/right political thing? Anyone here - maybe even you - think Fox News is good?

http://cloudfront.mediamatters.org/static/images/item/live-20090727.jpg

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On PC Crysis 2
9. Re: On PC Crysis 2 Feb 9, 2011, 14:16 Ratty

Interesting comment on the 3D experience. I just got a new computer but decided to just use my old monitor for now. I want to maybe get a 3D capable monitor a bit later when the technology matures and they're cheaper. But I also want to wait and see if there really is this massive wave of new 3D content coming in the future all the media companies tell us about or if it's just the latest fad to trick consumers into buying new crap.  

News Comments > E.Y.E Specs, Trailer
2. Re: E.Y.E Specs, Trailer Feb 9, 2011, 14:05 Ratty

Somehow missed hearing about this one. Looks good. I'm going to their website to find out more.  

News Comments > Another Raven/Bond Indication
3. Re: Another Raven/Bond Indication Feb 9, 2011, 12:56 Ratty

bhcompy wrote on Feb 9, 2011, 12:39:
Ah Raven, how far you've fallen
The best you can say about Raven is they're competent. I don't remember any games they've ever done which were out and out bad. But they only work with licensed IPs now. Gone are the days when they created their own stuff ala Heretic or Hexen.

News Comments > Disabled Gamer Petition
37. Re: Disabled Gamer Petition Feb 8, 2011, 11:33 Ratty

J wrote on Feb 8, 2011, 08:31:
Apparently there's software you can get which remaps the buttons that are pushed. Perhaps you could use that software so that it pushes your good buttons instead?
I tried some of those. Doesn't work. Games override any kind of programming like that. I think special keyboards can do that.

News Comments > Disabled Gamer Petition
36. Re: Disabled Gamer Petition Feb 8, 2011, 11:30 Ratty

Wow, I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one who hates WASD! I have my own little scheme I use for all my games but it only works if I can map the same movement to 2 different keys. It's a crapshoot whether or not a game will let you do that. Playing Oblivion now and it doesn't let you do it and it's damn annoying. Crysis let you do it by manually editing the config file, Crysis Warhead doesn't. I'm getting a new expensive keyboard that lets you reprogram every single key and I'm hoping that will do the trick.

As for disabled gamers it would be cool if economics allowed companies to give grants for adding disabled access to games just like they do nowdays for closed captioning on TV. A win-win for everybody.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 8, 2011, 11:17 Ratty

Are they still calling that Windows Genuine Advantage? What an Orwellian name if there ever was one.  

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Feb 8, 2011, 10:57 Ratty

Dickwolves: SNL had a great skit many years ago about some people at a small dinner party. Someone tells a joke and people laugh except one woman who is offended because "that happened to my mother." The guy apologizes and decides to defuse the situation by telling a completely different joke. Of course somebody else is offended because it was something they experienced personally in some way. On it goes, the jokes getting more and more absurd and peoples' offenses getting weirder and more surreal.

I love that skit. Wish I could find it online.

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: A history of sex in video games Feb 5, 2011, 15:28 Ratty

In Daggerfall you'd see hookers out on the streets. Explore enough rooms in any of the castles and you'd find a naked dominatrix perched over her sub, whip in hand. Those were the good old days.  

News Comments > Dead Money and More Fallout: New Vegas PC DLC Plans
10. Re: Dead Money and More Fallout: New Vegas PC DLC Plans Feb 4, 2011, 15:02 Ratty

StingingVelvet wrote on Feb 4, 2011, 14:35:
Those were full expansions. The most "expansion-y" DLC for Fallout 3 is Point Lookout and not coincidentally it is the best one.
Yeah, that's true. I didn't recognize the difference. In fact I bought Shivering Isles on DVD, didn't download it. Oblivion had a couple of expansiony DLCs I guess (NOT horse armor) - e.g., Mage's Tower. I never bothered to get those. Never got any of the Fallout DLCs either, didn't feel like being screwed over dealing with GFW points - just let me use real money goddammit. Truthfully NV was so much better than FO3 I have no desire to go back and revisit it either.

7. Re: Dead Money and More Fallout: New Vegas PC DLC Plans Feb 4, 2011, 14:26 Ratty

Verno wrote on Feb 4, 2011, 14:12:
Bethesda DLC is very hit and miss with me though
Shivering Isles for Oblivion was pretty good & meaty. The werewolf one they did for Morrowind was substantial too. They release something like that for NV and I'm all over it.

News Comments > Bulletstorm Trailer
6. Re: Bulletstorm Trailer Feb 4, 2011, 13:35 Ratty

One thing I've really admired about PCF and Farm 51 is they put a lot of additional depth in their games that you can completely choose to ignore and not miss out on anything. The first time I played Painkiller I didn't really know anything about Tarot cards or challenges or collecting gold from enemies or finding religious icons and I didn't care. The game was still a blast. Then you learn about these things and give them a try and it's almost like you're playing a completely different game. It's there if you want it but nobody's forcing it down your throat. That's the way to add depth and complexity to a game I think.

I could never figure out what combos were exactly in Necrovision so I just ignored it all and still enjoyed a pretty decent game.

3. Re: Dead Money and More Fallout: New Vegas PC DLC Plans Feb 4, 2011, 13:28 Ratty

I was pretty pissed that they refused to even address that there might be a PC version down the line. I don't mind the waiting, but the fact they wouldn't acknowledge that it was a contracted XBox exclusive with a specific conclusion date just reeks of greed. Of course there was an NDA with MS in there but it was their choice to accept it. So were there actually PC gamers who bought the XBox version just so they could play the DLC?

Anyway, since heard Dead Money wasn't all that good. If I get it at all it'll be done the road when I can get all the DLC at once.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Trailer
16. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Trailer Feb 3, 2011, 18:11 Ratty

Creston wrote on Feb 3, 2011, 15:58:
Not happy about the heavy requirement of cover in the game
Same here, but I've never played any game that had a cover system like that in it and I guess there are a few games nowdays that have that which other people here have played and are familiar with. So I'm happy to keep an open mind.

I'm old enough to remember when just running over ammo and health to pick it up in a game rather than have to press a button or click a mouse was new and revolutionary. I still remember how novel it was in Quake to just bump into a huge, oversize button to open a door rather than have to click it. I survived those newfangled innovations I'll survive a mandatory cover system too.

News Comments > Painkiller Redemption Announced
8. Re: Painkiller Redemption Announced Feb 3, 2011, 10:56 Ratty

Loved Painkiller and PCF's official expansion. Pretty much hated Overdose though. That one was done by fans who then went pro. Maybe JoWood will do a better job. I'll take a wait and see approach (but I'll probably get it)  

News Comments > Crysis 2 Trailer
2. Re: Crysis 2 Trailer Feb 2, 2011, 16:24 Ratty

This'll be good. But I do miss the islands of Far Cry and the Jungles of Crysis.  

News Comments > Gold - Bulletstorm
32. Re: Gold - Bulletstorm Feb 2, 2011, 11:57 Ratty

PHJF wrote on Feb 2, 2011, 11:46:
25. I missed Atari; the first real video game my parents got me was Rampage, and of course Mario Bros (I say real because we had a word processor in my sisters room that had a landing simulator on it). In fact my first real experience was watching my older sister/brother play Rampage for ~five hours. Then I gradually discovered things like Zelda, Metroid, and Contra and the rest is history. When my parents bought their first PC (a 486), my uncle, a computer programmer, handed us an absolute treasure trove of floppy disks and CDs including all the Lucasarts adventure games released up until then, a couple of flight sims, and a myriad of other classic PC titles that hooked me on the medium. What he didn't include were shooters or RPGs. I discovered the RPG when on a whim I rented Earthbound, and on a visit to my father's workplace I was introduced at last to Doom.
Ahh, you're just a whippersnapper. So young to be so bitter.

News Comments > Gold - Bulletstorm
30. Re: Gold - Bulletstorm Feb 2, 2011, 10:46 Ratty

PHJF wrote on Feb 2, 2011, 00:33:
Not that I disagree with you, because I don't, but it's more that the community here is almost universally negative toward nearly every game that gets reported on.

Because now more than ever most of the games released suck fucking ass? There are like two games per year now, for the last five years, that I have genuine interest in.
Out of curiosity, how old are you? I totally agree with you - the two games per year thing especially - but I just thought it was cause I'm an old fart and you know those kids and their games these days ...

For the record I'm looking forward to Bulletstorm, sight unseen. Just cause I adored Painkiller which was more innovative than most people realize, and also liked Farm 51's Necrovision.

This comment was edited on Feb 2, 2011, 10:55.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
1. Re: Video Gamers More Dangerous Drivers Than Non-Gamers Feb 1, 2011, 11:50 Ratty

A lot of lying crap said of video gamers but this one I believe. Many years ago when I was in high school my friend and I were playing a driving game in an arcade. After an hour or two of this when we were driving out of the parking lot he took a turn by trying to spin the wheel like we were doing in the arcade. As the passenger I felt an urge to reach up and spin a wheel too. We both realized what he had just done and started laughing our asses off. The drive home was a very cautious one let me tell you. I have never forgotten that.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
15. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 1, 2011, 11:45 Ratty

Net Neutrality: Will Comcast, who almost own NBC Universal now, demand the same from Hulu?  

1111 Comments. 56 pages. Viewing page 27.
< Newer [ 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo