Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ratty

Real Name Ratty   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ratty
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 11, 2005, 20:15
Total Comments 1147 (Pro)
User ID 22908

User comment history
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

News Comments > RAGE Trailer
3. Re: RAGE Trailer Apr 19, 2011, 10:50 Ratty

OK, that was awesome.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 15, 2011, 13:37 Ratty

Netflix HD streaming. A HUGE incentive for Comcast to implement caps so one is forced to turn to their own Pay-Per-View service.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 13, 2011, 12:00 Ratty

I calculate to make my super-hot chili with just one of those, I would have to use 35 pounds of meat.
Yes, but I think you still should, just to be able to say you did.

News Comments > John Carmack RAGE Interview
4. Re: John Carmack RAGE Interview Apr 13, 2011, 10:53 Ratty

You can do a good job visually with just about anything a designer can imagine today, which definitely wasn’t the case 10 years ago; you had to either pick your battles very carefully or be willing to look very bad.
This reminds me of a comment I read years ago by one of the Valve guys. He was talking about that one place in the original Half-Life where you exit the sewer on the side of a cliff face and have to climb up while dodging enemy shooters and helicopters. He described the scene as "embarrassing" to them because of the very low-res panoramic skybox they had to use showing the distant desert vista.

That was one of my favorite parts in Half-Life. The designers were willing to look bad to create something fun. And then I recall in Masters of Doom where Carmack told the Doom team, No, you cannot have secret doors because the programming to support it would have been "inelegant." (He later figured out a way to do it to his satisfaction so we gained secret doors in Doom)

Now I don't want to bash id, Doom and Quake were masterpieces, but I wonder what they might have accomplished - particularly with Doom 3 - had they been free of Carmack's tyranny of the engine. Maybe we could have gained hordes of monsters had Carmack been willing to allow lower resolution models that maybe didn't look quite so fabulous in the exquisitely designed lighting and shadows.

5. Re: First homosexual caveman found. Apr 11, 2011, 16:25 Ratty

Jonny wrote on Apr 11, 2011, 13:10:
Pretty much an article that says, "I've got the chance to use the phrase "Gay Caveman" in a headline, and by God I'm going to take it."
Actual scientists agree with you:

Scientists speak out to discredit 'gay caveman' media reports

4. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 5, 2011, 11:14 Ratty

InBlack wrote on Apr 5, 2011, 10:50:
On another note, how can selling meteorites be illegal? NYtimes editors are seriously out of their minds...
To be fair to the Times the headline does say it's scientists who are calling the market black.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 3, 2011, 16:42 Ratty

Ricing hash browns? Blech. I rice mashed potatoes all the time, but hash browns? The proper way to remove excess moisture from any vegetable is to salt it a bit first, let it drain for half an hour in a colander and press out the moisture in paper towels. Potatoes will turn a bit brown but since they're fried up nobody will notice.  

2. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 31, 2011, 10:59 Ratty

Synchronicity! I made chili last night. It's practically inedible after I make it - really harsh, a bit bitter, and super hot - but a night in the fridge mellows it right out. I have to make it extra hot because it gets milder the longer it sits in the fridge. An interesting thing: last time I made it I froze some of it and when I defrosted it a few weeks later it was about the best tasting chili I'd ever had. So I'm trying it again to see if freezing really does improve the taste that much.

I use dried ancho and chipotle and make my own powder by toasting 8 tsp cumin seed and grinding that up with 8 tsp oregano, 8 tsp paprika and 1 tsp cayenne pepper. This is for about 4 cups of dried beans (sorry Texas chili fans).

News Comments > Dungeons DLC Released
3. Re: Dungeons DLC Released Mar 30, 2011, 15:19 Ratty

Oh, thanks. I didn't know there was a demo. It's a shame a demo isn't a given anymore nowdays.  

6. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 30, 2011, 13:25 Ratty

If your new Pavlovian squirrel strategy doesn't work out, I wonder if you could just throw in the towel and put up feeders for both the birds and the squirrels. Make something extra tasty for the squirrels and perhaps they'll leave the more difficult and less tasty bird feeder alone.  

News Comments > Dungeons DLC Released
1. Re: Dungeons DLC Released Mar 30, 2011, 13:21 Ratty

OK, I know it's not Dungeon Keeper (sigh), and I've read some reviews that say it's rather mediocre, but have any other Dungeon Keeper fans played this? Is it worth picking up? I mean the original game, not the DLC.  

News Comments > Gaming Mouse Maker Knocks Gaming Mice
9. Re: Gaming Mouse Maker Knocks Gaming Mice Mar 29, 2011, 11:00 Ratty

Got a wireless "gaming" mouse with my last computer 6 years ago. What a worthless piece of crap. I dug up an old, wired, non-optical mouse with the rubber ball and have been using it ever since. I'd like to switch to a modern one - it only has two buttons and no scroll wheel and there are a couple of games where that comes in handy. Get this, in Crysis and FarCry you need a mouse wheel to zoom in with the sniper scope. So I continued to use the old fashioned mouse but got out my worthless wireless gaming mouse and set it on the desk. When I needed to zoom I reached over and used the mouse wheel on that. That's pretty lame but it actually worked pretty well. But I swear I can't find a decent mouse that fits in your hand and doesn't weigh a ton and doesn't have a bajillion buttons all along the edges that you constantly keep clicking by accident.  

News Comments > Quote of the Day
8. Re: Quote of the Day Mar 29, 2011, 10:46 Ratty

Creston wrote on Mar 28, 2011, 22:46:
"Is that enough, Mr Kotick?"
"No! Deeper dammit! Get that tongue deeper in there!"
Damn you. Beat me to it! Oh well, yours was funnier than what I came up with anyway.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 28, 2011, 11:37 Ratty

nin wrote on Mar 28, 2011, 11:09:
We could seriously use the rain here in the midwest. But then again, it was 36 yesterday and cloudy, making me wonder if we were about to get snowed on again.
I love rain. Just love it. It's kind of calm and peaceful, makes you feel like you're in a little bubble of aloneness. Plus we've had a drought here in California like forever. But I am SICK SICK SICK of the rain. It's rained for the last two weeks, many days literally non stop. I am psychically wishing all of April's showers to you in the midwest.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 28, 2011, 11:08 Ratty

End of March: All I can think about is the old saying "April showers bring May flowers." Ugh. So it's April that's supposed to be the rainy month?  

9. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 25, 2011, 13:59 Ratty

Creston wrote on Mar 25, 2011, 10:59:
That's because every single day is now a fucking 'Day.
Am I the only one that has Cesar Chavez Day off today? Seriously. I'm not joking. Today is a holiday for me. Cesar Chavez Day.

News Comments > On PC Deus Ex: Human Revolution
35. Re: On PC Deus Ex: Human Revolution Mar 24, 2011, 12:20 Ratty

ASeven wrote on Mar 24, 2011, 04:47:
This game is definitely becoming a wait-and-see affair.
For fuck's sake. What game isn't a wait and see affair anymore? There is no AAA developer that you can trust to make a good PC game. All the old reliables have sold their soul.

4. Re: Gaming Gopher Mar 24, 2011, 11:51 Ratty

Wow, I think I've done every single thing on that 50-item list. Habitually.  

News Comments > Duke Nukem Forever Delayed Until June
23. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Delayed Until June Mar 24, 2011, 11:28 Ratty

Elessar wrote on Mar 24, 2011, 10:12:
but I'm honestly starting to feel like we're standing at the car door to get in and each time we reach for the handle, they pull up 10 feet... for the 165th time!
Ha! Awesome analogy.

News Comments > Game Reviews
10. Re: Game Reviews Mar 23, 2011, 13:16 Ratty

SHIT. I just read last night's comments and saw Crysis 2 has no quicksave, just fucking check points? I don't ever play games anymore that don't have quicksave. I only played Far Cry after I learned the console savegame command and even then you had to be careful where you saved because it was unsupported. Check points discourage exploration and creativity. You're less likely to try something new if you're afraid of dying and have to remember exactly where the last check point was.  

1147 Comments. 58 pages. Viewing page 25.
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo