Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ratty

Real Name Ratty   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ratty
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 11, 2005, 20:15
Total Comments 1138 (Pro)
User ID 22908

User comment history
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue May 17, 2011, 11:45 Ratty

I bought an XBox a few months back and have been only been using it for Netflix streaming so far. I tried a couple of games but they were just better on my PC. I think I'll pick up LA Noire and give it a go.

And the Seth MacFarlane Flintstones reboot sounds awesome.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 16, 2011, 14:37 Ratty

Hey thanks! That makes sense. I'll check out that NVidia list.

Question: if I have a rig that runs well at 60 FPS does that mean by necessity that viewing it at 3D will cut my performance in half? Or does the GPU essentially do all the computation to build a scene once and output it twice with a little 3D offset? I can imagine how adding 3D, even at 120 Hz, wouldn't affect performance too much, but I don't know enough. Also, do I take a performance hit if I use the monitor to play games in regular old 2D?

This comment was edited on May 16, 2011, 14:43.

13. Re: Out of the Blue May 16, 2011, 12:47 Ratty

Prez wrote on May 16, 2011, 12:05:
Syfy defends canceling 'Stargate Universe'.

I hate that this show was canceled, and yet I never watched a single episode. Why? Because I'm tired of getting into shows only to see them canceled without any closure. I was devastated when Firefly was canceled; it killed me to say goodbye to Cameron in "Terminator". I never watched a single episode of BSG until the entire 4-year run was completed! Network TV is the worst way to get your entertainment it seems.

I have taken a chance and started watching 'Dexter' even though the story is still going on (in its 4th season I think). I'm really liking it so far, but I fully expect now that I'm into it the show will be unceremoniously canned.
Ain't it the truth? That's why I never got into The Event or Flash Forward or Caprica. Why bother anymore?

However I did watch ST:U and really really liked it the more I watched. At first it was kind of meh but after awhile they started to take it into some really interesting places. I'm very sad it's canceled. All that's left is Sanctuary and Eureka - neither of which I particularly care for. I'm glad they ended the show on an open note though. Gives me hope someone else will pick it up.

I never watched Firefly when it was on but just loved it when I finally got around to it on DVD. I feel so guilty about that. I'm one of the people who contributed to the cancellation of one of the greatest SF series ever.

Dexter's great. I think it finished it fifth season though and it's about to start the sixth.

11. Re: Out of the Blue May 16, 2011, 12:41 Ratty

Creston wrote on May 16, 2011, 11:31:
So how much enjoyment did you get out of leaving your computer on all night in order to get this "achievement?"

/shakes head...

Creston
Probably same as me when I duct tape my right mouse button down and let a rat attack my shield for 30 minutes while I go fix dinner to get my Block stat up in Oblivion.

/shakes head at self...

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 16, 2011, 12:36 Ratty

HP monitor looks good. I'm actually looking to get a new monitor. I got a new PC but stuck with the old monitor for now. I can't find out whether it supports 3D or not. Don't you have to have a special monitor for that? Or is it all marketing? (I mean I know the whole 3D thing is a lot of hype and marketing but from a purely technical standpoint, if one decided to buy into the whole 3D thing don't you have to get a special monitor?)  

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. May 13, 2011, 12:30 Ratty

Love the Fallout tour. I remember someone doing something similar with Deus Ex years ago.  

15. Re: Out of the Blue May 9, 2011, 17:41 Ratty

If I were Mrs Blue I'd bust a gut laughing ...  

News Comments > Op Ed
7. Re: Op Ed May 6, 2011, 13:36 Ratty

The problem with pretty much all MS products is they have a twisted sense of who their customers really are. They built IE and Windows Vista/7 for big corporations and the entertainment industry. The person who actually sits down and uses it is always pretty much last on their list. They also build products for themselves. Everything must be monetized beyond simply selling a product to a user. I'm sure their priorities in making GFWL were geared toward attracting publishers and shoving DLC and microtransactions down our throats. Again, the poor gamer who actually has to use the shit: last on their list.

Don't get me started on Windows Media Player. A lousy, fucked up program made solely for the entertainment industry.

The previous post about Deus Ex on Steam gave me a little thrill because it's another game that won't make me deal with GWFL.

8. Re: Superman Renounces Apr 30, 2011, 18:18 Ratty

RollinThundr wrote on Apr 30, 2011, 15:06:
Fixt, how's that hopey changy stuff working out for ya?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaoWKTS37qo

Hey, I actually found an ad here I'm interested in. I clicked and I bought. Hope you get some $$$ for it Blue.

News Comments > F.E.A.R. 3 Delayed
10. Re: F.E.A.R. 3 Delayed Apr 28, 2011, 11:24 Ratty

Actually bought FEAR 2 but only played about 10 minutes before giving up. 10 minutes was all I needed to see. I won't even bother checking previews or demos or anything for FEAR 3. Zero interest.  

News Comments > Morning Previews
1. Re:Skyrim Apr 22, 2011, 12:01 Ratty

I've been worried about the starry, special effects-laden skill tree in the UI. I hope it's not impervious to modding to reduce the font size and get everything on one screen for the PC. If any mods are must have for these games, the font-size reduction mods are at the top of my list every time.

That small town in the third screenshot looks open - no city walls. I thought cities in Skyrim were separate maps like Oblivion. But it's hard to tell. Open cities would be fantastic.

News Comments > RAGE Trailer
3. Re: RAGE Trailer Apr 19, 2011, 10:50 Ratty

OK, that was awesome.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 15, 2011, 13:37 Ratty

Netflix HD streaming. A HUGE incentive for Comcast to implement caps so one is forced to turn to their own Pay-Per-View service.  

2. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 13, 2011, 12:00 Ratty

I calculate to make my super-hot chili with just one of those, I would have to use 35 pounds of meat.
Yes, but I think you still should, just to be able to say you did.

News Comments > John Carmack RAGE Interview
4. Re: John Carmack RAGE Interview Apr 13, 2011, 10:53 Ratty

You can do a good job visually with just about anything a designer can imagine today, which definitely wasn’t the case 10 years ago; you had to either pick your battles very carefully or be willing to look very bad.
This reminds me of a comment I read years ago by one of the Valve guys. He was talking about that one place in the original Half-Life where you exit the sewer on the side of a cliff face and have to climb up while dodging enemy shooters and helicopters. He described the scene as "embarrassing" to them because of the very low-res panoramic skybox they had to use showing the distant desert vista.

That was one of my favorite parts in Half-Life. The designers were willing to look bad to create something fun. And then I recall in Masters of Doom where Carmack told the Doom team, No, you cannot have secret doors because the programming to support it would have been "inelegant." (He later figured out a way to do it to his satisfaction so we gained secret doors in Doom)

Now I don't want to bash id, Doom and Quake were masterpieces, but I wonder what they might have accomplished - particularly with Doom 3 - had they been free of Carmack's tyranny of the engine. Maybe we could have gained hordes of monsters had Carmack been willing to allow lower resolution models that maybe didn't look quite so fabulous in the exquisitely designed lighting and shadows.

5. Re: First homosexual caveman found. Apr 11, 2011, 16:25 Ratty

Jonny wrote on Apr 11, 2011, 13:10:
Pretty much an article that says, "I've got the chance to use the phrase "Gay Caveman" in a headline, and by God I'm going to take it."
Actual scientists agree with you:

Scientists speak out to discredit 'gay caveman' media reports

4. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 5, 2011, 11:14 Ratty

InBlack wrote on Apr 5, 2011, 10:50:
On another note, how can selling meteorites be illegal? NYtimes editors are seriously out of their minds...
To be fair to the Times the headline does say it's scientists who are calling the market black.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 3, 2011, 16:42 Ratty

Ricing hash browns? Blech. I rice mashed potatoes all the time, but hash browns? The proper way to remove excess moisture from any vegetable is to salt it a bit first, let it drain for half an hour in a colander and press out the moisture in paper towels. Potatoes will turn a bit brown but since they're fried up nobody will notice.  

2. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 31, 2011, 10:59 Ratty

Synchronicity! I made chili last night. It's practically inedible after I make it - really harsh, a bit bitter, and super hot - but a night in the fridge mellows it right out. I have to make it extra hot because it gets milder the longer it sits in the fridge. An interesting thing: last time I made it I froze some of it and when I defrosted it a few weeks later it was about the best tasting chili I'd ever had. So I'm trying it again to see if freezing really does improve the taste that much.

I use dried ancho and chipotle and make my own powder by toasting 8 tsp cumin seed and grinding that up with 8 tsp oregano, 8 tsp paprika and 1 tsp cayenne pepper. This is for about 4 cups of dried beans (sorry Texas chili fans).

News Comments > Dungeons DLC Released
3. Re: Dungeons DLC Released Mar 30, 2011, 15:19 Ratty

Oh, thanks. I didn't know there was a demo. It's a shame a demo isn't a given anymore nowdays.  

1138 Comments. 57 pages. Viewing page 24.
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo