Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ratty

Real Name Ratty   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ratty
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 11, 2005, 20:15
Total Comments 1140 (Pro)
User ID 22908

User comment history
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2011, 14:28 Ratty

Cutter wrote on Aug 8, 2011, 13:50:
I somehow doubt that it was their fault.
Fair enough. But then they shouldn't keep calling all their turkey recipes "fool proof."

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim ShakyCam Footage
12. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim ShakyCam Footage Aug 8, 2011, 12:50 Ratty

Illumin wrote on Aug 8, 2011, 11:38:
1: You can set up hotkeys / favorites you dont need to scroll through every time. Honestly most people have 1 favorite melee, 1 ranged and maybe 3 or 4 spells they use all the time.
Anyone ever notice how you only have 8 hotkeys available to map in Oblivion? Hmm, a PC has 10 number keys. I wonder why they only let you map 8? Hmm. Why can't I map 9 and 0? Hmm.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim ShakyCam Footage
11. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim ShakyCam Footage Aug 8, 2011, 12:44 Ratty

Yeah, I have the usual bitches. But it did seem to me the game looked prettier than Oblivion. It's hard to tell. The lighting and shadows looked particularly impressive. The first scene of the third person view of the character looked really nice, with all the shadows and wrinkles on his clothes. The model was more detailed than Oblivion, right? The dungeons seemed more impressive than Oblivion too - much more detailed and interesting. And did you guys see the blood spurting out of that guy's throat?

But it's hard to tell at that resolution. It all seemed more realistic and a bit less cartoony than Oblivion.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2011, 12:20 Ratty

kibbled wrote on Aug 8, 2011, 12:01:
My favorite BBQ chicken recipe is beer can chicken. The only prep is you coat the chicken in spices and stick a potato in to keep the moisture. I personally use a lemon or apple. Fill a beer/soda can 1/4 of beer and then stick the whole chicken on top of a Beer Can Chicken Holder. You keep the temp at 350 for 90 minutes. All the fat will drip off but the moisture stays in. If you keep a pan underneath the chicken there is no mess.
Wow! ME TOO! That chicken is the best. Always moist and juicy even as cold leftovers. That's an ATK recipe too and one of my favorites. I used a big ol' can of Bud the first time I did it but it was too hard to take it in and out of the oven without it tipping over so when I saw one of those vertical roasters at a thrift store for 5 dollars I went and got it. The ATK recipe has a maple-molasses-mustard glaze. I'll try cramming a potato up there next time I make it.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2011, 11:49 Ratty

Yesterday I made the worst turkey I have ever in my life tasted. It was an America's Test Kitchen recipe. Sometimes their recipes are outstanding but they do have pretty frequent clunkers too. I've never had good luck with their turkey recipes.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 5, 2011, 12:58 Ratty

All I can imagine is future Blues Newsers coming to the forums someday soon and bitching about lousy mobile to console ports. Heh. Look forward to that actually.  

News Comments > Rambo Game Plans
7. Re: Rambo Game Plans Aug 4, 2011, 13:23 Ratty

Hey, that KISS game from a few years back wasn't too too terrible. Secondly, I had big doubts about a Vin Diesel game until I actually played Escape From Butcher Bay.

So, I guess you never know for sure.

(But yeah, it'll be bad)

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Re: Game Reviews Jul 27, 2011, 11:08 Ratty

Hmm, I'd been thinking of taking a day off work to spooge out on games. I think I'll do it with Old World Blues.  

News Comments > Dead Cyborg Episode 1 Released
6. Re: Dead Cyborg Episode 1 Released Jul 26, 2011, 11:45 Ratty

Trailer looks good. I like the *idea* of pay-if-you-like and almost feel like donating. But the WASD scheme and arrow keys for looking up and down... nah. I have too many other games on my queue.

On another site someone was complaining that interactive objects like inventory and clues aren't hilighted. As if that were a bad thing. I almost feel like donating for that design decision alone.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 22, 2011, 11:31 Ratty

I've been thinking about getting a portable AC too. I don't have any AC where I live since it's rarely that hot, but when it is I'm miserable. I'll be interested to learn what you decide to get and how you like it.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 21, 2011, 12:26 Ratty

And yet, this is the second summer in a row where it's been uncommonly cool here in the Bay Area. Haven't had but one or two scorching days back in April and May. I love it (also being a prefer-cold-weather type) but my tomatoes hate it. So much for global warming, eh?  

News Comments > More on BF3 and Steam
121. Re: More on BF3 and Steam Jul 18, 2011, 18:07 Ratty

What annoys me is this is starting to get like streaming movies. Netflix started it all but as soon as all the content providers realized how much money was to be made, the streaming market fragmented and now there's nothing good on Netflix because some of it is on Hulu Plus, ITunes, etc., and every studio and their grandmother is trying to start up their own service. Call it the magic finger of capitalism or whatever, but I'm annoyed that I'm supposed to pay multiple subscriptions to different people depending on what I want to watch.

At least with this situation I'm not having to pay a subscription fee (yet!). It's just another client I have to download to my computer and one more person I have to give my credit card number to, and more places I have to hunt for the games I want to play, and - since it's game publishers - more onerous DRM to put up with.

I don't care who's right or wrong or who has a monopoly. It was nice having to deal with just one service that - I thought - evolved into something pretty painless and easy.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
10. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 14, 2011, 14:49 Ratty

Verno wrote on Jul 14, 2011, 13:56:
Being able to choose when and where to watch what you want is priceless
The bold part is where my issue with Netflix is. For me, streaming has been worthless. I've decided to go ahead and cancel my membership. I'll come back if and when the selection ever improves.

News Comments > Hard Reset Announced
18. Re: Hard Reset Announced Jul 14, 2011, 13:01 Ratty

Flying Wild Hog is many of the same people who did Painkiller - so yeah, I'm ultra exuberant about this.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 14, 2011, 12:48 Ratty

I'm thinking of dropping Netflix too. Not because I'm furious with them, but I simply haven't been using them. There's NEVER anything I want to see available for streaming. And I have the 1 Blue Ray DVD a month plan but haven't really been using that either. This price increase is simply good motivation for me to finally bite the bullet and save a bit of money.  

News Comments > Far Cry 3 Alternate E3 Trailer
4. Re: Far Cry 3 Alternate E3 Trailer Jul 8, 2011, 14:38 Ratty

What is it? Is it just for an achievement (lame)? Or are there RPG elements in the game?  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 8, 2011, 12:21 Ratty

Love ATK. Have about 40 episodes on my DVR.  

News Comments > On PC Skyrim
46. Re: On PC Skyrim Jul 7, 2011, 11:59 Ratty

Yesterday I mentioned a previous quote regarding higher resolution textures for the PC. I found it again here: http://www.ausgamers.com/features/read/3076322
AusGamers: Now letís step it back a bit, I want to talk a bit about Creation Engine. You guys have been demoing the game on Xbox 360, is there any particular reason why you havenít shown the PC version? Because clearly that would be the higher end.

Todd: Yeah it does, obviously the PC version looks better. It has higher textures, it can run much higher resolution and a lot more graphic features. We tend to show it on 360 so that itís a good baseline for people to look at. So when they then see the PC version itís going to go up. Weíd rather do that than have people see the 360 later and it takes a step down.

Weíre really excited with how it looks on the 360 and the PS3. So we do author the art the same for all the platforms, itís just that they render it differently. Also for things like this [tradeshows] -- I donít know if people realise -- but as a game developer, the 360 is just much easier to show it on, from getting it started, to showing it, to controlling it, itís just much easier to demo on logistically.
It's hard to say whether that means the textures are truly higher resolution. Are the file sizes actually larger on the PC? Are they they exact same texture files but are downsampled on consoles?

All in all I liked the interview. Sounds like it'll be a better game than both Morrowind and Oblivion.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Mod
16. Re: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Mod Jul 6, 2011, 15:39 Ratty

Creston wrote on Jul 6, 2011, 15:26:
1) I don't care so much about the enchanting slots, because you can always just boost the enchantment powers through a mod, but it still kinda sucks. It's fun to mix and match armor, and Greaves and Cuirass being one part makes no sense.
No real horrible news for me in the QA. I can live with one less slot, but I will definitely miss it.
2) They weren't in Oblivion either. It took modders a LONG time before they were able to do true levitation and finally even flight. Typically I find that Oblivion is better without flight anyway. A ruin that's high on top of a mountain is a far cooler journey if you have to walk/climb there, fighting some cool monsters, than if you just levitated there, grabbed the book, and fled.
I didn't know there were mods that did that! I always suspected they did away with levitating solely to keep you from flying over the closed city walls. They said it was for gameplay reasons though.
4) Wheeee. Though I'll take the controls and fonts issue with a hint of salt.
Yup, totally agree. Grain of salt here too. I just read another interview where they said the art assets were identical but rendered differently on the PC. Does that really count as higher definition textures?
5) I think they said they were going back to the system of Morrowind, where you need souls in order to enchant. Of course, even in Morrowind you could easily abuse it, since you'd have the highest soul stone available, and would just summon the highest level monster over and over until you got his soul, but it's better than the boring stuf it was in Oblivion.
Well, read the QA. It sounds different from either Morrowind or Oblivion. Something about finding enchanted items and "breaking them down." I did love the complexity in Morrowind. Your skill plus the quality of the item added to the strength of the soul. Love me them exquisite amulets!
6) The Elder Scrolls series have always done that, haven't they?
I guess you are right. Maybe I'm thinking of Fallout.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Mod
12. Re: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Mod Jul 6, 2011, 14:01 Ratty

On a related note, there's an interesting Skyrim post that answers fan questions here:

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?%2Ftopic%2F1207390-skyrim-fan-interview%2F

Bad news (IMHO of course): Cuirass and Greaves are now combined into a single armor piece, for visual reasons. Means fewer enchanting slots. Levitation and mark/recall are not in Skyrim (as expected).

Good news: You can get married and move into a house with your spouse. PC version gets higher res textures, larger render modes, better keyboard support, etc. No giant fonts (I think). Enchanting is a true skill and it sounds more complex. You will be able to continue playing after finishing the main quest.

1140 Comments. 57 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo