Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ratty

Real Name Ratty   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ratty
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 11, 2005, 20:15
Total Comments 1111 (Pro)
User ID 22908

User comment history
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

News Comments > Skyrim Map as Preorder Bonus
19. Re: Skyrim Map as Preorder Bonus Jun 23, 2011, 16:10 Ratty

From the Bethesda Blog:
Update: Had plenty of questions about the map. The map is a high-grade material that has a feel similar to burlap, and will be available in North America and Europe. There will be a regular paper map included in all copies of the game, but if you want to get the premium map, we recommend pre-ordering the game.
OK, a couple of you owe Bethseda an apology methinks. I was going to go ahead an preorder for the map but actually I think I'd prefer the paper one instead of the preorder burlap.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 22, 2011, 11:08 Ratty

I appreciate Quake so much more now than I did when it was first released. At the time I thought it was all so very brown and it was the first true 3D game I ever played. I remember thinking how blocky and unnatural the low-rez models were and thinking they should have just stuck to sprites. Anyway, I was critical of it for some reason.

Nowdays I think of it as a masterpiece.

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Duke Nukem Forever and Jim Rednerís Balls of Squeal. Jun 22, 2011, 11:00 Ratty

Prez wrote on Jun 22, 2011, 10:00:
To be fair, he was pointing out the "thousands of irreplaceable hours" to illustrate why games deserve to have reviews that are thorough, truthful, professional, and fair; not how most are today.
Sorry, no dice. What a boring web world we'd live in if all game reviews were professional, cordial, sensitive, loving, and only gave out criticism in the gentlest most constructive way possible. I am a gamer, it's an important part of my life and wasting 60 bucks on a really bad game makes me mad. Enjoying a clever, catty review is how I vent. And the meaner it is the better I feel.

News Comments > Duke Nukem Forever Demo Today
5. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Today Jun 21, 2011, 10:55 Ratty

Anonymous wrote on Jun 21, 2011, 10:48:
At least they're releasing a demo.

I'll try it no matter how bad they say it is. There has to be SOMETHING in it worthwhile...
Ditto. Already decided to maybe get this when it's ten bucks or so, but I'll try the demo. Who knows, right?

21. Re: crazy but true Jun 15, 2011, 13:41 Ratty

Cutter wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 13:30:
The AMA has stated before that most people are getting anywhere from 5-10 times the amound of sodium needed daily which is really dangerous and also keeps the lbs on. Unless you're cooking with fresh food, put away the salt - and stay away from processed.
I've found that to be personally true for a couple of reasons. I lost a lot of weight after drastically cutting down my sodium intake for blood pressure reasons. The two things were that 1. I had to stop eating takeout and prepared food because that's always loaded with sodium. Cooking for myself I tended to make things that were healthier for me with fewer empty calories. 2. I wasn't thirsty all the time anymore. I didn't crave sodas like I used to. Now I have to remind myself to drink something during the day because I'm simply never thirsty.

I would suggest one strategy for people trying to lose weight might be to simply cut out sodium and not worry about anything else. I believe that for some people that will naturally lead to weight loss.

13. Re: crazy but true Jun 15, 2011, 13:09 Ratty

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 11:59:
Fat has calories. There are calories which are not fat. Gaining weight is simply about eating more calories than you burn. Satisfied?
That is soooo last century. Nowdays it's all about insulin response, inflamation, and Glycemic Indexes. Try to keep up man!

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Duke Nukem Forever
50. Re: Ships Ahoy - Duke Nukem Forever Jun 14, 2011, 20:29 Ratty

Lorcin wrote on Jun 14, 2011, 19:24:
Oh actually I just placed it. The same time Half Life 1 came out over here Sin came out the same week. I bought Sin because......the box art, I have no idea why I went for it - except half life wasn't actually very well advertised and the internet will still only just getting to full saturation.
Ha! I just have to comment that the same thing happened to me. Except it was Thief and Half Life and I chose Thief because of the cool rhombus-shaped box and cover art. It was a good decision as I still love Thief to death and have gotten more joy out of it than any other game. But when I finally got around to Half Life I realized I should have just bought them both.

That was a great time, going to the computer store and picking up whatever looked interesting and chances were you'd end up with something fun.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Duke Nukem Forever
14. Re: Ships Ahoy - Duke Nukem Forever Jun 14, 2011, 14:29 Ratty

I was really looking forward to this but the reviews seem universally terrible. Most damning was the youtube video someone here posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q86vWgaLuwE

No exploration; no secrets; as linear, scripted and on rails as it can possibly get; regenerating health; two weapons at a time max; rarely more than three enemies on screen at one time; no quicksave.

I'll get it when it's below 10 dollars (and probably I'll regret even that).

This comment was edited on Jun 14, 2011, 14:35.

News Comments > It Came from E3 2011, Part 7
5. Re: It Came from E3 2011, Part 7 Jun 10, 2011, 16:45 Ratty

Nice to see some booth dudes represented for a change.  

News Comments > Levine on the Possibility of a BioShock Movie
11. Re: Levine on the Possibility of a BioShock Movie May 26, 2011, 10:52 Ratty

Cutter wrote on May 25, 2011, 21:56:
Speak for yourself Bioshock would make for a great flick. I'd love to see Rapture and the Big Daddys on the big screen!
I agree. Most game/movie ideas are stupid. Hollywood moneymakers capitalizing on an IP and nothing more than that. But the art deco/retro under the sea Rapture setting and, yes, Big Daddies, would make an awesome backdrop to some kind of movie. You really can't say that about most of the bad game movies that have been put out.

News Comments > SSFIV AE Uses Always-On DRM
48. Re: SSFIV AE Uses Always-On DRM May 26, 2011, 10:47 Ratty

I like to think console players (or their parents) will buy any old shit that comes along but PC players will know enough about the games they play that they'll say Hell No to this kind of thing.  

9. Re: Out of the Blue May 25, 2011, 18:38 Ratty

My 2 week vacation starts next week. Any recommendations for spooge-worthy games I can play until 2 AM?

I think I'll go ahead and get Portal 2. Also I think I'll get into Minecraft. Sounds like the kind of thing one can lose a lot of sleep over.

News Comments > Gold - Duke Nukem Forever
34. Re: Gold - Duke Nukem Forever May 24, 2011, 14:22 Ratty

I know I'm in the minority here but I'm REALLY REALLY looking forward to this.  

2. Re: Out of the Blue May 17, 2011, 11:45 Ratty

I bought an XBox a few months back and have been only been using it for Netflix streaming so far. I tried a couple of games but they were just better on my PC. I think I'll pick up LA Noire and give it a go.

And the Seth MacFarlane Flintstones reboot sounds awesome.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 16, 2011, 14:37 Ratty

Hey thanks! That makes sense. I'll check out that NVidia list.

Question: if I have a rig that runs well at 60 FPS does that mean by necessity that viewing it at 3D will cut my performance in half? Or does the GPU essentially do all the computation to build a scene once and output it twice with a little 3D offset? I can imagine how adding 3D, even at 120 Hz, wouldn't affect performance too much, but I don't know enough. Also, do I take a performance hit if I use the monitor to play games in regular old 2D?

This comment was edited on May 16, 2011, 14:43.

13. Re: Out of the Blue May 16, 2011, 12:47 Ratty

Prez wrote on May 16, 2011, 12:05:
Syfy defends canceling 'Stargate Universe'.

I hate that this show was canceled, and yet I never watched a single episode. Why? Because I'm tired of getting into shows only to see them canceled without any closure. I was devastated when Firefly was canceled; it killed me to say goodbye to Cameron in "Terminator". I never watched a single episode of BSG until the entire 4-year run was completed! Network TV is the worst way to get your entertainment it seems.

I have taken a chance and started watching 'Dexter' even though the story is still going on (in its 4th season I think). I'm really liking it so far, but I fully expect now that I'm into it the show will be unceremoniously canned.
Ain't it the truth? That's why I never got into The Event or Flash Forward or Caprica. Why bother anymore?

However I did watch ST:U and really really liked it the more I watched. At first it was kind of meh but after awhile they started to take it into some really interesting places. I'm very sad it's canceled. All that's left is Sanctuary and Eureka - neither of which I particularly care for. I'm glad they ended the show on an open note though. Gives me hope someone else will pick it up.

I never watched Firefly when it was on but just loved it when I finally got around to it on DVD. I feel so guilty about that. I'm one of the people who contributed to the cancellation of one of the greatest SF series ever.

Dexter's great. I think it finished it fifth season though and it's about to start the sixth.

11. Re: Out of the Blue May 16, 2011, 12:41 Ratty

Creston wrote on May 16, 2011, 11:31:
So how much enjoyment did you get out of leaving your computer on all night in order to get this "achievement?"

/shakes head...

Creston
Probably same as me when I duct tape my right mouse button down and let a rat attack my shield for 30 minutes while I go fix dinner to get my Block stat up in Oblivion.

/shakes head at self...

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 16, 2011, 12:36 Ratty

HP monitor looks good. I'm actually looking to get a new monitor. I got a new PC but stuck with the old monitor for now. I can't find out whether it supports 3D or not. Don't you have to have a special monitor for that? Or is it all marketing? (I mean I know the whole 3D thing is a lot of hype and marketing but from a purely technical standpoint, if one decided to buy into the whole 3D thing don't you have to get a special monitor?)  

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. May 13, 2011, 12:30 Ratty

Love the Fallout tour. I remember someone doing something similar with Deus Ex years ago.  

15. Re: Out of the Blue May 9, 2011, 17:41 Ratty

If I were Mrs Blue I'd bust a gut laughing ...  

1111 Comments. 56 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo