Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ratty

Real Name Ratty   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ratty
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 11, 2005, 20:15
Total Comments 1129 (Pro)
User ID 22908

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > EA Revival Possibilities
4. Re: EA Revival Possibilities Aug 18, 2011, 11:56 Ratty

System Shock 3!!!! ('Cause the Bioshock stuff just doesn't do it for me)  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Skyrim Using Steamworks
32. Re: Skyrim Using Steamworks Aug 18, 2011, 11:39 Ratty

The Advocate wrote on Aug 18, 2011, 08:05:
I'm fine with this.

I used to hate Steam with a passion as I was under the false impression that it was solely a DRM schema invented to do nothing but track everything I did with my games.

Steam does track what I do with my games and it is a DRM schema. However, it also allows me to install my games on any machine I want so long as that machine has an active internet connection. It offers me great deals on games that I wanted to buy anyway and I no longer have to carry discs back and forth between work and home to play whatever my current interest is.

I look at Steam, now, like I look at my email. I log in once and I get to what I want to do. It's painless and takes maybe a second or four to login.
I so totally agree. HATED Steam and was pissed beyond belief when I found out HL2 required it. I held out for two years before finally playing HL2 (because I didn't have the internet at home at the time). Nowdays I love Steam for the same reasons as you. But also because I recently got a new computer and it was so nice being able to transfer all my games over without having to hunt down the original discs. I'm a slob and my discs are buried all over the place, so that was a big plus for me.

News Comments > id Software: Fans of our IPs "Patience Will Be Rewarded"
21. Re: id Software: Fans of our IPs Aug 15, 2011, 13:24 Ratty

Myself, I've been looking forward to a return to the Quake 1 universe ever since they hinted about that.  

News Comments > Eidos Montreal: Deus Ex: Invisible War a "Cautionary Tale"
32. Re: Eidos Montreal: Deus Ex: Invisible War a Aug 12, 2011, 14:59 Ratty

kanniballl wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 14:43:
- Universal Ammo - keep things simpler, focus groups say they hate finding ammo for their favorite weapon
- Passwords - people hated having to write down passwords for the terminals. Make it an auto-enter
- Inventory - people hated playing puzzles with their packs
Forgot the clear plastic crates so we could all see what was inside before wasting our time lockpicking.

And I said I gave the developers a lot of credit but not that much credit. I'm betting those decisions were all theirs and not from either focus groups or "on high."

26. Re: Eidos Montreal: Deus Ex: Invisible War a Aug 12, 2011, 14:42 Ratty

Ray Ban wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 14:32:
I don't think you can blame the tiny levels and frequent loading on anything else than having to squeeze the game into that Microsoft POS box. Can't really blame the developers for that one.
That would be the bad luck Tanto referred to. They had major technology problems outside their control. And making it PC exclusive or doing a major porting job by redesigning all of the levels was also not a decision they had any control over. I blame it all on Daikatana.

22. Re: Eidos Montreal: Deus Ex: Invisible War a Aug 12, 2011, 14:18 Ratty

Tanto Edge wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 13:56:
I see a week (at least) off from life and family coming up in my future.
So when is the exact date of release in the US? I want to arrange for some vacation time right now.
Tanto Edge wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 13:56:
@Creston
Harvey and Warren are awesome designer/developers and about the only ones whom I say got some of the best talent and worst luck in the industry.
As hefty components of the Deus Ex, and Thief series', they were willing to try new shit, and that means a lot. Warren boned some as bettered some, but he was forging new territory.
It's nice to hear somebody else say this. I have the same gripes about DX:IW as everybody but I always gave them the benefit of the doubt and looked at it as them pushing the envelope yet again and taking a big risk. They (or at least Harvey) always said they wanted to distill down the essence of what made DX great and really concentrate on that by making it even better and perhaps eliminating some of the peripheral distractions. I mostly hear people blame DX:IW's shortcomings on consolitis and dumbing down for a mass audience and I'm one of the first to jump on that bandwagon for many games, but in the case of DX:IW I take them at their word. They tried something new and failed.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin
30. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 17:11 Ratty

MrBone wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 16:51:
Wow, this is absolute bullshit. Why do I have to love BF3 so much! Khaaaannn!!!
I've been lucky so far. All this shit is happening to games I would never play: Diablo 3 and now BF 3. When this eventually happens to games I do care about I believe I will quote you: Khaaaannn!!!

News Comments > Quoteworthy - id's Tim Willits on Always-on Gaming
22. Re: Quoteworthy - id's Tim Willits on Always-on Gaming Aug 10, 2011, 11:47 Ratty

I wasn't getting Diablo III anyway. Loved the first one to death but the second one did away with save games and it was too annoying to play more than an hour or so. I expect the third one not to have save games either. With that and the new always on DRM, double the reason to skip.

Tim Willits: What. A. Moron.

News Comments > Fallout: New Vegas Lonesome Road DLC Delayed
4. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Lonesome Road DLC Delayed Aug 10, 2011, 11:43 Ratty

Just bought Honest Hearts the other day and have been playing that. It's nice to have another outside area to wander around and explore. I'm enjoying it. It's a pretty generous amount of content for a DLC. I had thought that was the latest DLC but I guess that's Old World Blues, so I'll be getting that next seeing as how people here seem to like it.

Think I'll be skipping Dead Money though.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2011, 14:28 Ratty

Cutter wrote on Aug 8, 2011, 13:50:
I somehow doubt that it was their fault.
Fair enough. But then they shouldn't keep calling all their turkey recipes "fool proof."

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim ShakyCam Footage
12. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim ShakyCam Footage Aug 8, 2011, 12:50 Ratty

Illumin wrote on Aug 8, 2011, 11:38:
1: You can set up hotkeys / favorites you dont need to scroll through every time. Honestly most people have 1 favorite melee, 1 ranged and maybe 3 or 4 spells they use all the time.
Anyone ever notice how you only have 8 hotkeys available to map in Oblivion? Hmm, a PC has 10 number keys. I wonder why they only let you map 8? Hmm. Why can't I map 9 and 0? Hmm.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim ShakyCam Footage
11. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim ShakyCam Footage Aug 8, 2011, 12:44 Ratty

Yeah, I have the usual bitches. But it did seem to me the game looked prettier than Oblivion. It's hard to tell. The lighting and shadows looked particularly impressive. The first scene of the third person view of the character looked really nice, with all the shadows and wrinkles on his clothes. The model was more detailed than Oblivion, right? The dungeons seemed more impressive than Oblivion too - much more detailed and interesting. And did you guys see the blood spurting out of that guy's throat?

But it's hard to tell at that resolution. It all seemed more realistic and a bit less cartoony than Oblivion.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2011, 12:20 Ratty

kibbled wrote on Aug 8, 2011, 12:01:
My favorite BBQ chicken recipe is beer can chicken. The only prep is you coat the chicken in spices and stick a potato in to keep the moisture. I personally use a lemon or apple. Fill a beer/soda can 1/4 of beer and then stick the whole chicken on top of a Beer Can Chicken Holder. You keep the temp at 350 for 90 minutes. All the fat will drip off but the moisture stays in. If you keep a pan underneath the chicken there is no mess.
Wow! ME TOO! That chicken is the best. Always moist and juicy even as cold leftovers. That's an ATK recipe too and one of my favorites. I used a big ol' can of Bud the first time I did it but it was too hard to take it in and out of the oven without it tipping over so when I saw one of those vertical roasters at a thrift store for 5 dollars I went and got it. The ATK recipe has a maple-molasses-mustard glaze. I'll try cramming a potato up there next time I make it.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2011, 11:49 Ratty

Yesterday I made the worst turkey I have ever in my life tasted. It was an America's Test Kitchen recipe. Sometimes their recipes are outstanding but they do have pretty frequent clunkers too. I've never had good luck with their turkey recipes.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 5, 2011, 12:58 Ratty

All I can imagine is future Blues Newsers coming to the forums someday soon and bitching about lousy mobile to console ports. Heh. Look forward to that actually.  

News Comments > Rambo Game Plans
7. Re: Rambo Game Plans Aug 4, 2011, 13:23 Ratty

Hey, that KISS game from a few years back wasn't too too terrible. Secondly, I had big doubts about a Vin Diesel game until I actually played Escape From Butcher Bay.

So, I guess you never know for sure.

(But yeah, it'll be bad)

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Re: Game Reviews Jul 27, 2011, 11:08 Ratty

Hmm, I'd been thinking of taking a day off work to spooge out on games. I think I'll do it with Old World Blues.  

News Comments > Dead Cyborg Episode 1 Released
6. Re: Dead Cyborg Episode 1 Released Jul 26, 2011, 11:45 Ratty

Trailer looks good. I like the *idea* of pay-if-you-like and almost feel like donating. But the WASD scheme and arrow keys for looking up and down... nah. I have too many other games on my queue.

On another site someone was complaining that interactive objects like inventory and clues aren't hilighted. As if that were a bad thing. I almost feel like donating for that design decision alone.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 22, 2011, 11:31 Ratty

I've been thinking about getting a portable AC too. I don't have any AC where I live since it's rarely that hot, but when it is I'm miserable. I'll be interested to learn what you decide to get and how you like it.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 21, 2011, 12:26 Ratty

And yet, this is the second summer in a row where it's been uncommonly cool here in the Bay Area. Haven't had but one or two scorching days back in April and May. I love it (also being a prefer-cold-weather type) but my tomatoes hate it. So much for global warming, eh?  

1129 Comments. 57 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo