Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ratty

Real Name Ratty   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ratty
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 11, 2005, 20:15
Total Comments 1151 (Pro)
User ID 22908

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Diablo III DRM Problems
42. Re: Diablo III DRM Problems Sep 22, 2011, 18:46 Ratty

Cram wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 18:27:
PropheT wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 18:25:
You couldn't save wherever you wanted in the other Diablo games either. The checkpoint system isn't exactly something new for the series.

Unless my brain is on fail mode, yes you could in both Diablo 1 and Diablo 2 (in single player offline mode) Now that option is gone, so is saving wherever you want.
Not in Diablo II. The only way to save your progress was to quit the game. And then IIRC when you restarted you had to fight respawned enemies. Diablo I was the only one with true save-anywhere.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 16, 2011, 13:13 Ratty

OK guys. Seriously, it's canon. One 'n'.  

News Comments > RAGE TV Spot
6. Re: RAGE TV Spot Sep 15, 2011, 17:12 Ratty

Not tearing my seat up looking forward to this one but I'll probably pick it up anyway. Doom 3 was a big disappointment but it was still playable and I use it for Dark Mod and stuff so I'm not sorry I got it. I expect it'll be the same with Rage.

It reminds me of Borderlands too ...

News Comments > Fallout: New Vegas: Lonesome Road Trailer
6. Re: Fallout: New Vegas: Lonesome Road Trailer Sep 15, 2011, 11:13 Ratty

Sept. 20. Good timing. I should be just finished with my second playthrough of DX:HR.  

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Hard Reset: Includes Changes Based on Demo Feedback
4. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Hard Reset: Includes Changes Based on Demo Feedback Sep 13, 2011, 15:43 Ratty

I really wanted to love it, coming as if did from the guys who made the awesome Painkiller. But it just wasn't for me. It was beautiful, ran like a dream ... I guess I just didn't like the cramped feel of it. Or something. The enemies are really fast, you can't outrun them, you die really fast. I just need more room to maneuver.  

31. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2011, 16:59 Ratty

SirKnight wrote on Sep 9, 2011, 14:16:
Back in the good ol days things were built to last forever. They also weren't built completely in china or similar places either on the cheap.
My microwave oven is over 25 years old. Good luck finding something that lasts that long nowdays.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: Polish political party uses modified Fallout intro clip in an election ad Sep 8, 2011, 11:44 Ratty

From the same article:
A girl made a Monopoly board based on Fallout 3 as a present for her boyfriend
Best girlfriend in the world!

News Comments > Why Deus Ex: Human Revolution is a Prequel
33. Re: Why Deus Ex: Human Revolution is a Prequel Sep 1, 2011, 19:15 Ratty

Beamer wrote on Sep 1, 2011, 18:02:
Only thing I'd change about Adam is how pointy his chin is. Does that drive anyone else nuts? It's like a plane to smooth wood...
Yes. Thank You!

News Comments > Why Deus Ex: Human Revolution is a Prequel
10. Re: Why Deus Ex: Human Revolution is a Prequel Sep 1, 2011, 14:22 Ratty

I got it on Steam when it first came out and I only just got to China last night. I'm taking my sweet time and doing everything.

I have a minor criticism though. My inventory is full and I pretty much have everything I want or need so there's no more thrill at discovering weapons or ammo or mods or anything like that. That aspect of the game has basically disappeared which is a shame. In DX1 there was stuff to acquire right up to the last levels and I was always happy when I found sniper ammo or tranq darts or aug upgrade modules or cattle prod charges. In HR now it's all about XP and money to buy more Praxis and pretty soon I'll be upgraded as much as I care to be so even that will lose its luster.

Some of it is the fact that with stealthy takedowns you no longer need things like tranq darts or stun gun ammo like you did in DX1. Also in DX1 you could shoot out cameras and even some doors with sniper rifle but the HR rifle can't do that so I have no use for it. I just dumped my rocket launcher and I'll probably get rid of the tranq rifle too and probably the combat rifle as I just don't see a use for those down the road so I don't care about finding ammo for them either.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall Turns 15
17. Re: The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall Turns 15 Sep 1, 2011, 12:40 Ratty

I still have the disks and manual. Yeah, I said "disks." In my day they came on floppies.

Bugs didn't bother me too much back then until the one day it crashed and took my entire hard drive with it.

I tried playing it a few years ago, around the time Morrowind was released, but modern PCs are too fast and all the dungeon monsters were just sort of frozen. I think you need one of those make-your-computer-slower programs for it to work right.

I personally loved the much-reviled hugenormous dungeons. Loved the procedurally generated landscape and towns too as it made the world limitless which added to the sense of freedom. I remember this one random town where I found a merchant that had amazing deals and after the main quest ended I decided to retire there and take up random quests whenever I was bored, and made a few million gold for my nest egg.

I miss Daggerfall. Warts and all it was still a better game than anything that came after it.

News Comments > Uncut RAGE for Germany, DOOM and DOOM II No Longer Indexed
3. Re: Uncut RAGE for Germany, DOOM and DOOM II No Longer Indexed Aug 31, 2011, 14:18 Ratty

the uncensored version of id's upcoming shooter will be sold in Germany
Doesn't that kind of mean it'll suck?

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Code Clue
3. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Code Clue Aug 30, 2011, 10:55 Ratty

I wrote a couple of small programs to do things to it - ascii shifting, obvious stuff like that - but nothing. There are people out there who are way smarter than me and way more motivated to take on this kind of thing so I'm leaving it to them.  

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution "Special Message" Tomorrow
144. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution "Special Message" Tomorrow Aug 29, 2011, 17:29 Ratty

Yes! The special message is finally there. It's ... horse armor

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

117. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 29, 2011, 11:37 Ratty

nin wrote on Aug 29, 2011, 11:26:
There's a Praxis kit behind a wall in the Detroit sewers that pays for itself.

I don't think I found that one, but I did find one in the second hub last night.
I'd heard there were two in the Detroit sewers but I only found one.

113. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 29, 2011, 11:21 Ratty

nin wrote on Aug 28, 2011, 17:59:
can't take the 'bust through thin walls' upgrade for that reason (the one time I tried it, he script-killed a baddie : (

I ran into that too, and was very disappointed.

Only seen it happen once, though.
The Punch through Walls aug is basically free though so there's no reason not to take it fairly early. There's a Praxis kit behind a wall in the Detroit sewers that pays for itself.

111. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 29, 2011, 11:13 Ratty

Jerykk wrote on Aug 28, 2011, 19:36:
I played through the game on 'hard' with zero contact with any body who didn't need to be 'neutralized' as per the objectives.
I was surprised when on my next playthrough, I was getting Ghost even though I was knocking people out.

Yeah, their definition of ghosting is a bit loose. It just means that you can't be seen. You can still neutralize every enemy you encounter. While it's cool that you can still genuinely ghost your way through the game, the way XP is rewarded means that doing so will put you at a disadvantage. If you want to get the most XP, there's only one route to go: the non-lethal takedown hacker. Perform non-lethal takedowns on every enemy and hack everything you see, even if you already know the password or have found another way through. They really should have just retained DX's XP system, where you only get rewarded for completing objectives and finding secret areas. That way, there is no inherent benefit to any one playstyle and people can play the way they want without fear of losing out on XP.
Their definition of ghost confused me too. So I did the first mission in Detroit both ways. First, never seen, never alerted, never touched anybody. There was one part where a guard is standing on a balcony overlooking a room that was a bit dicey but other than that it wasn't that hard to do. Then I replayed it knocking out every single guard in the game (but still not being "seen") and ended up with a couple thousand more XP at the end (some of that was finding things I'd missed the first time though), way more ammo and way more money to buy Praxis. And I still got the ghost bonus.

I keep the highlighting on and use the third person cover system and don't mind the regenerating health one bit. All things I bitched and moaned about. For this game it works. The world is so much more detailed than the original DX that I can't imagine playing it without the highlighting (hated it Thief 3 though). But I'd be interested to hear others chime in on that.

News Comments > First Skyrim DLCs Timed Xbox 360 Exclusives
17. Re: First Skyrim DLCs Timed Xbox 360 Exclusives Aug 26, 2011, 12:27 Ratty

I don't care. Let Bethesda make a few extra bucks from MS. I almost never get DLC until after a while anyway. Never bothered with any of the Oblivion DLC but have been enjoying the FO:NV DLC.  

18. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 25, 2011, 14:23 Ratty

Blue wrote on Aug 25, 2011, 14:16:
nin wrote on Aug 25, 2011, 13:29:
But the monotonous final Citadel levels in HL2 were brutal.

I loved those! With the powered up gravity gun, I never got bored of disintegrating people with the little floating spheres...

Same here... that was completely awesome.

Now I feel so alone ... so alone ...

13. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 25, 2011, 12:05 Ratty

8 Terrible Levels in Great Games

I am the only person on Earth who enjoyed Xen.

But the monotonous final Citadel levels in HL2 were brutal.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 24, 2011, 12:57 Ratty

I have a pretty powerful computer I got in February:

i7-980X Processor Extreme Edition (12M Cache, 3.33 GHz)
6 GB RAM
NVIDIA GTX 580 1.5 GB

But the performance is "odd." It might be the issue people are having with mouse acceleration though - it just seems laggy. Plus there's an annoying stutter during the videos about every 20 seconds. Maybe performance is fine and it's just the mouse.

I only just flew out of Sarif Industries to my first mission so can't comment on the gameplay yet but I can definitely say there isn't a trace of consolitis. The control mapping screen (I can map multiple keys to a command - yay!), menus, and options are right at home on the PC. And ESC actually backs you out of all menus and back into the game (I'm looking at YOU Bethesda)

1151 Comments. 58 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo