Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ratty

Real Name Ratty   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ratty
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 11, 2005, 20:15
Total Comments 1129 (Pro)
User ID 22908

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution: The Missing Link Next Week; Price Details
14. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution: The Missing Link Next Week; Price Details Oct 13, 2011, 19:09 Ratty

That's pretty pricey for a DLC nowdays. Luckily I'm still playing The Nameless Mod (outstanding!) and just got Painkiller Redemption on Steam, then maybe I'll go ahead and get Rage. After that, Skyrim will hold me over for a few weeks at least. Yeah, I can pass on this one for now.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Map
28. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Map Oct 11, 2011, 10:27 Ratty

Beamer wrote on Oct 11, 2011, 09:25:
your choice was pretty much good wizard or bad wizard.
I've never been much of a magic wielder in any ES game. But I've always been a Breton which gives me an automatic 50% resistance to spells. Add to that armor enchanted to bring that up to 100% and I literally laugh out loud at any pathetic Mage attacks.

Anyway, on to Skyrim. I've never been too pissed off at some of their streamlining. I didn't give a rat's ass when they eliminated unarmored and medium armor for example (though I know people claimed they'd never play another ES game again because of that). And I think the perk system worked very well in FO3 so I'm pretty open to see how that works out in Skyrim - maybe it'll balance out their removing of stats, who knows? Plus, they brought Enchanting back as a skill so I'm psyched about that.

They still have some leveled enemies in the game which is OK but it looks like they're taking another cue from FO3 where if you wander into the wrong places too soon you'll have your ass handed to you. It shouldn't be another leveling cluster fuck like Oblivion I hope. Sounds like the style of cities will be more varied - halfway between Morrowind and Oblivion which sounds about right to me. Plus Dragons!

I'm really looking forward to this but I'm still committed to waiting to buy for a couple of months until modders can fix the UI. I don't know if I'll be able to resist but that's still my goal.

News Comments > Duke Nukem Forever DLC Next Week
24. Re: Duke Nukem Forever DLC Next Week Oct 6, 2011, 14:53 Ratty

Jerykk wrote on Oct 6, 2011, 12:24:
Daikatana wasn't just panned for bugs. It had some terrible, inconsistent level and enemy design, for one. Who thought it would be a good idea to fight small, annoying enemies like frogs and dragonflies? Your teammates' AI was atrocious as well.
What can I say? I liked the dragonflies. But yes, the companions were beyond abominable.

20. Re: Duke Nukem Forever DLC Next Week Oct 6, 2011, 12:06 Ratty

Kajetan wrote on Oct 6, 2011, 11:54:
Ratty wrote on Oct 6, 2011, 11:18:
Heh, first ever comment about Daikatana I've seen that didn't rip it to complete threads.
You should have asked me the week Daikatana was released I picked it up again a few years later and to my great suprise it wasnt that bad at all.
Yeah, it was pretty bad on release but after patching it was playable.

18. Re: Duke Nukem Forever DLC Next Week Oct 6, 2011, 11:18 Ratty

Kajetan wrote on Oct 6, 2011, 06:45:
Daikatana had some major, game breaking bugs at release and was "only" a standard shooter with some nice ideas like RPG elements (choosing between making you stronger or your sword). Most people were upset because of this horrible and highly arrogant marketing campaign. The game itself was quite enjoyable after some patches. Nothing spectacular, but ok.
Heh, first ever comment about Daikatana I've seen that didn't rip it to complete threads. I agree with you: nothing spectacular, but ok.

News Comments > RAGE Trailer
26. Re: RAGE Trailer Sep 30, 2011, 11:05 Ratty

Creston wrote on Sep 30, 2011, 10:55:
Nah, I don't really care that the damage is unrealistic, it's just that throughout every Rage video, every enemy soaks up literal containers full of ammo. I don't want to empty two clips at a single frakking enemy.
Funny I was thinking about this when watching Terra Nova. They seemed to have taken the video game approach with their unrealistic bullet-sponge dinosaurs (and that's a good term by the way). I mean we've had weapons for over a century that would take down an rampaging bull elephant in one shot and yet these guys from the future empty multiple clips of ammo into the dinos and they don't even break stride.
It makes your weapons feel like pieces of worthless crap.
I agree.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
49. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 28, 2011, 15:42 Ratty

Comment on site format: More snarky comments after the links please, ala yesterday's Google Becomes a Teenager link. They make me LOL.  

47. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 28, 2011, 15:37 Ratty

Verno wrote on Sep 28, 2011, 14:07:
Offtopic but was anyone else disappointed with Terra Nova?
Yup. The usual uncreative, unoriginal dreck. Very much like Falling Skies. They both could have been so much more if somebody had the balls to take a risk or two. I'll maybe check out a couple more episodes but don't imagine I'll stick with it.

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Re: Game Reviews Sep 28, 2011, 10:57 Ratty

I was kind of disappointed in Lonesome Road. Very linear and too short. And every review I've seen praises the Ulysses character for some kind of literary depth which appeals to intelligent players. I couldn't stand him and kept clicking through his endless unintelligible monologues. I guess can't call myself an intelligent player.

It was worth buying I guess, but it was a let down compared to the previous two.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 27, 2011, 14:10 Ratty

Beamer wrote on Sep 27, 2011, 12:04:
Verno wrote on Sep 27, 2011, 10:50:
I always use one of the URL shortening services.

I'll rarely click on those. From you, sure, but generally on a messageboard I avoid them. If they took me to a page that showed me the URL I was being redirected to I'd be fine, but when it's just a redirect it's more a tool for spammers and malware distributors than anything else.
I just got back from a week of security training for application developers. 9-6 all week PLUS Saturday and Sunday.

All I can say is be afraid. Be very afraid ...

News Comments > Skyrim Race Abilities and Perk Trees
19. Re: Skyrim Race Abilities and Perk Trees Sep 26, 2011, 17:19 Ratty

Beamer wrote on Sep 26, 2011, 16:56:
It really just comes down to instancing, and to wanting to have as many polygons and items as possible in some locations. Really an engine thing.
I don't know but I always assumed it was different lighting models. A costlier model for indoors and a cheaper lower-quality one for outside. I note that Far Cry did the same thing, outdoor and indoor lighting models but with seamless transitions. Though Far Cry had huge but still multiple, distinct maps unlike Elder Scrolls' single, essentially limitless outdoor map. So I don't know how fair that comparison would be.

16. Re: Skyrim Race Abilities and Perk Trees Sep 26, 2011, 16:51 Ratty

Halo wrote on Sep 26, 2011, 16:30:
Lobster wrote on Sep 26, 2011, 16:19:
Is it really that big a deal to have to look at a loading screen now and then?

When you have to wait and load a 10x10 cabin to find nothing turn around and load again. And when the developer claims immersion and making use of todays technology online to still be using dx9 and the same tech with more addons from years ago.

So in other words yes.
Not so bad as it was in Morrowind, that's for sure. Morrowind's crappy microdungeons made you load a new zone every few steps. Thankfully, Oblivion's dungeons were much larger and loading zones were not so frequent.

But why did my house in Skingrad have 3 loading zones? One for the single upstairs bedroom and one for the basement? I never did understand that and it got annoying fast.

6. Re: Skyrim Race Abilities and Perk Trees Sep 26, 2011, 14:49 Ratty

I've played a Breton in every single ES game since Arena. No reason to change this time through either.

ES games just aren't worth getting on day one so I'm holding off a couple months until there's a mod to fix the UI at least.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 23, 2011, 15:59 Ratty

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 23, 2011, 14:46:
Turning 30 wasn't as bad as turning 20. Next year I get the big 50 -- oh boy!
Ha! I have you beat by one year. Actually turning 50 wasn't a big deal for me. I dunno why. I still have all my gorgeous blond hair, not a hint of gray except a bit in the beard when I let it grow out. I lost about 50 lbs this year and I'm looking really buff nowdays. That helps. I like to think I can still pass for 35.

40 was the devastating one for me.

News Comments > On Deus Ex: Human Revolution DLC and Boss Battles
16. Re: On Deus Ex: Human Revolution DLC and Boss Battles Sep 23, 2011, 15:34 Ratty

The thing I hate hate hate about some games is when each boss fight is preceded by a cinematic cutscene after which you are plopped down right in front of said boss. I'm royally annoyed in any game I've ever seen that in. HR made it even worse because of the one second or so delay you're frozen in place, unable to move while the boss charges right at you. Turning off VSync made the delay more tolerable but it's still there even post patch.

I'm not against the concept of boss fights - they don't bug me like they do some here. But I like it when I know they're coming, I have time to prepare, select my weapon, scope out the layout and cover, possible weapons, ammo stores, etc. Doom 3 annoyed me by the long, loving, almost caressful camera shots of each new monster when it made its first appearance - id wanted to make sure we appreciated the gorgeously detailed texture mapping on each of their creations I'm sure - before plopping you down right in front of them. Such an immersion breaker. How many here actually reached the bosses on their first playthrough, without knowing going through such and such door would trigger them, and defeated them without reloading?

Why oh why they decided to use this crappy cinematic throwback for the boss battles I'll never understand. And somebody HAD to have noticed the frozen-in-place problem sometime during development.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 23, 2011, 13:45 Ratty

Creston, it doesn't have anything to do with blocks or the speed of light per se but it's reminiscent of the various delayed choice experiments (which I think are some of the coolest things in physics):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheeler%27s_delayed_choice_experiment

10. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 23, 2011, 11:35 Ratty

Speed of light: How about this? Neutrinos are weird because they change their type. They start out as electron neutronos, say, and then oscillate to muon neutrinos and the other kind (I forget what they are). So the neutrino that is emitted isn't the same one that arrives at the detector. So nothing actually went faster than c.

Thank you, thank you. I am available to pick my medal in Oslo next year around April.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Patched
6. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Patched Sep 22, 2011, 23:59 Ratty

I just saw my first ad on the loading screen. I'd heard people here mention them but so far hadn't seen any myself.  

News Comments > Diablo III DRM Problems
42. Re: Diablo III DRM Problems Sep 22, 2011, 18:46 Ratty

Cram wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 18:27:
PropheT wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 18:25:
You couldn't save wherever you wanted in the other Diablo games either. The checkpoint system isn't exactly something new for the series.

Unless my brain is on fail mode, yes you could in both Diablo 1 and Diablo 2 (in single player offline mode) Now that option is gone, so is saving wherever you want.
Not in Diablo II. The only way to save your progress was to quit the game. And then IIRC when you restarted you had to fight respawned enemies. Diablo I was the only one with true save-anywhere.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 16, 2011, 13:13 Ratty

OK guys. Seriously, it's canon. One 'n'.  

1129 Comments. 57 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo