Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ratty

Real Name Ratty   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ratty
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 11, 2005, 20:15
Total Comments 1111 (Pro)
User ID 22908

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > Skyrim Patch Wednesday
35. Re: Skyrim Patch Wednesday Nov 29, 2011, 10:41 Ratty

It's pathetic that I'm grateful they're finally making ESC exit menus, something they never bothered to do in Oblivion. PC players are like dogs starved for attention. Any little sign and our tails wag.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Into the Black
6. Re: Into the Black Nov 23, 2011, 10:56 Ratty

Aw. I don't know Andrea True, but Anne McCaffrey just died. She was 85.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
49. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 21, 2011, 11:38 Ratty

Creston wrote on Nov 21, 2011, 11:17:
I think if you overpower yourself in this game, it becomes boring way too quickly. If you don't go for the 100 smithing and enchanting, and don't give yourself Godly Armor of Unkillability, it remains much more of a challenge.
That's pretty hard not to do. The ONLY skills I have actively developed are Archery and Smithing. My high Stealth just came along for the ride. Didn't train or grind and it's already at 100. So if I'm only actively developing two out of eighteen skills, how could that be considered power leveling? The only alternative is to become a jack of all trades and develop a little bit of every skill but I find the rest of them boring. That's reverse grinding: actively doing boring things in the game to simply NOT develop specific skills.

In Oblivion there was a true power-leveling technique: choosing main skills you rarely used so you could level when you wanted to. In Skyrim - thankfully - that option is gone. But it's still too easy to become overpowered.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
43. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 21, 2011, 11:11 Ratty

Dirwulf wrote on Nov 21, 2011, 02:03:
PHJF wrote on Nov 21, 2011, 01:42:
Too bad magic is still so poorly done. Destruction is weak and everything else is pointless and boring. Playing a mage I couldn't kill a fucking thing until I got the archmage equipment, and even now the only reason I kill anything is because of broken-ass perk that hitstuns every enemy in the game.

My mage kicks some serious ass. Conjure an atronoch, shoot fireballs, and watch the faces melt. I also have a staff that summons a Daedric. The wards are also very useful against other casters. I use calm a lot too. Turn undead. I don't know how you find this stuff weak and pointless.
In Oblivion I was constantly developing my magic skills but just never used them. This time in Skyrim I'm not putting a thing into any magic skill. It's not an RPG, I'm-not-a-magic-user kind of thing like it is with some people, it's just experience telling me that's not the way I play.

Like Oblivion, I only use bow and arrow and I'm insanely powerful at it now. Unlike Oblivion, I find this incarnation of Alchemy boring and after playing the game picking anything and everything I came across only to store it in a chest at home, I've given up on it. With regenerating health there's less of a need for it (I have yet to use any restore health potion). Poisons don't look as fun as they did in Oblivion - fewer effects to play around with. Sad, cause I really loved Alchemy. But smithing makes up for it so overall I'm happy.

News Comments > Skyrim Ships 7M
85. Re: Skyrim Ships 7M Nov 17, 2011, 14:12 Ratty

Verno wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 13:57:
I understand what you are saying. Let me explain how I think this is working. Itís not the most refined way and thereís no rhyme or reason to why Bethesda did it this way.

Right, that's a workaround involving other equips though like I mentioned earlier. People want to just hit one button to equip two weapons that they select without needing any workaround, end of story. It would just make things far easier. They don't want to be hitting 3-4 different keys to have to do it and they don't want to have to memorize what order they did things in so that it doesn't screw up in the middle of combat while they're worried about managing shouts/magic/weapons/etc. The way Bethesda implemented it was to accommodate gamepads but having used a gamepad with the game myself just for kicks, it doesn't work very well there either IMO.

Speaking of which, anyone know if there are Control 1-9 shortcuts or something? Having just 1-8 is really limiting and my favorites menu is bloated from all of silly dragon shouts and etc.
Silly Rabbit. XBox doesn't have a control key. So of course not.

But autohotkey works very well with Skyrim. You might possibly be able to script a chain of keys to a ctrl combination. But I don't think you can script mouse scrolling so maybe not. I love autohotkey. It's made Skyrim's UI somewhat more bearable.

68. Re: Skyrim Ships 7M Nov 17, 2011, 11:21 Ratty

Verno wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 10:51:
Agreed, Min/Maxing Skyrim is a quick way to end your enjoyment of it. A friend of mine powerleveled smithing and hes just stomping around the game destroying everything now.
I haven't even started the main quest or even took on any major ones and I'm pretty much at that point. Archery and Stealth are both close to 90 - haven't really developed any of the other skills yet - and had to up the difficulty to expert already. I think I'm going to crank up the difficulty to max tonight.

I've been just tracing the outside edge of the map, mining all the ore I come across and picking every plant I see. I'm going to start developing my smithing and alchemy Real Soon Now before I start any of the major quests. I'm afraid I'm sabotaging my later experience by making a super character too soon.

20. Re: Skyrim Ships 7M Nov 17, 2011, 00:55 Ratty

Silly I know, but when I came across a group of hunters leisurely taking a soak in those hot springs out in the wilderness, all relaxed, tents and a cozy fire burning nearby, a friendly greeting to me, I was sold. Or walking into an inn or general store to hear the husband and wife amiably bickering. I'm finding a lot of human touches like that. Seems they really took the complaints about wooden characters to heart this time around.

Nice not to hear the same 4 voices throughout the game too. And I swear some of the NPCs are voiced by Garrett himself, Stephen Russell.

Too bad you can't kill the kids though, smart-mouthed snotty brats ...

3. Re: Skyrim Ships 7M Nov 16, 2011, 22:20 Ratty

7 million units in less than a week is insane. They deserve it though. The game is scads better than Oblivion (though it has the worst PC UI of all by far).  

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: Joy! Nov 16, 2011, 11:41 Ratty

Yeah, I did the whole Windows linking thing so I could put some games on my very small SSD and the rest on my HD. But it's so complicated and involved. I'll check this app out and finally put Skyrim on my SSD.  

News Comments > Skyrim to Offer "Infinite Quests"
72. Re: Skyrim to Offer Nov 10, 2011, 12:45 Ratty

Jerykk wrote on Nov 10, 2011, 00:02:
Having a wandering NPC to interact with would be fine, but a wandering NPC adventurer would probably make for a far more interesting opponent than a quest-giver.

Weren't there a few NPC adventurers in Oblivion? I remember seeing some random dudes exploring dungeons and not attacking me. They didn't survive very long due to the level scaling but they were there.
Maybe you're thinking of OOO. I don't believe they were in vanilla Oblivion.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2011, 12:27 Ratty

For some reason I was sure that item said "The Myth of the Frozen Jesus." I had all kinds of scenarios in my head before I actually clicked the link. Very disappointing.  

7. Re: Skyrim to Offer Nov 9, 2011, 10:33 Ratty

CommunistHamster wrote on Nov 9, 2011, 10:30:
A good procedural game would be a first (besides DF). That kind of innovation is sorely lacking in gaming today, for the last few years it's just been graphics and casualisation innovations.
There was Hellgate: London.

6. Re: Skyrim to Offer "Infinite Quests" Nov 9, 2011, 10:32 Ratty

I just saw this on Wired and all I can say is "Yay!" I know procedurally-generated stuff gets a bad rap but I always loved it in Arena and Daggerfall. It gives the whole game more of a feeling of expansiveness. It'll be interesting to see how it's implemented. In Daggerfall there was a certain repetitiveness to be sure: "Go to ____ and kill the ______ that has been inhabiting ______'s house." I foresee mods that will expand the developer-made templates, maybe add random quirks and twists - the great thing is the tools are now there in the game to make this possible.  

News Comments > Op Ed
13. Re: Op Ed Nov 8, 2011, 12:00 Ratty

Illumin wrote on Nov 8, 2011, 11:43:
Ratty wrote on Nov 8, 2011, 11:00:
Eek. Someone talk me down! I just signed up for two days of vacation giving me a five-day weekend starting this Friday. 11/11!! I'm afraid I'm wavering in my commitment to wait until Xmas for Skyrim! I don't think I can hold out.

Man enjoy life no day is promised to anyone so enjoy what you can when you can. By that I mean go with Skyrim and a 5 day weekend!
Why that's just what a Bethesda infiltrator would say, isn't it?

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Nov 8, 2011, 11:00 Ratty

Eek. Someone talk me down! I just signed up for two days of vacation giving me a five-day weekend starting this Friday. 11/11!! I'm afraid I'm wavering in my commitment to wait until Xmas for Skyrim! I don't think I can hold out.  

News Comments > Skyrim Day One Patch Plans; Another Bonus Race Revealed
7. Re: Skyrim Day One Patch Plans; Another Bonus Race Revealed Nov 7, 2011, 11:46 Ratty

Acleacius wrote on Nov 7, 2011, 11:18:
Pulled that content quick, also I've read people playing the leaked console game are doing live streams.
That'd be kind of fun to see - something to tide me over until I get the game at xmas. Couldn't find any though. Ones that were there are now gone. I guess I'll check again on 11/11 when they're legit.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Nov 4, 2011, 14:32 Ratty

What? No Elder Scrolls Arena and Daggerfall? This list is useless.

I did quite like the music in Deus Ex *except* for the title theme which I always thought a bit hokey.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Footage
75. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Footage Nov 1, 2011, 11:03 Ratty

Beamer wrote on Nov 1, 2011, 08:23:
foot wrote on Nov 1, 2011, 07:58:
Looks like they haven't improved combat much. The animations are still terrible.

So what everyone here is saying is that they value graphics over gameplay?
I know, isn't that weird? I guess different people have different expectations for their game experience. Animations and graphics are pretty much at the bottom of my list for an Elder Scrolls game.

News Comments > DOOM 3 Source Code Release Nears
14. Re: DOOM 3 Source Code Release Nears Nov 1, 2011, 10:55 Ratty

I checked out the Quake 2 source code when it was released. I was surprised how much game-specific code there was in the engine - stuff I would have assumed was in the customization dlls. It was a lot less generic than I expected.  

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Footage
11. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Footage Oct 31, 2011, 11:58 Ratty

I didn't click. Way too spoilery for me. But I'm still on track to hold off on getting this until my Xmas vacation. I'll have 2 weeks in Dec and Jan to spooge out. Plus there'll be bug fixes and *hopefully* the deconsolization of the UI will be done by some intrepid modder - which is number one on my list. Though I must say the existing UI looks fancy enough that might not be as easy a task as it was in previous games.  

1111 Comments. 56 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo