Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ratty

Real Name Ratty   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ratty
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 11, 2005, 20:15
Total Comments 1153 (Pro)
User ID 22908

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown Trailer
15. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Trailer Mar 6, 2012, 12:11 Ratty

Love the "ant farm" base. Very cool.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2012, 12:23 Ratty

brother19 wrote on Mar 5, 2012, 09:59:
When I make chili I combine dry spices in a cast iron pan, with a small amount of oil, and sear them a little bit. Brings out the flavor.
Yup. It's called "blooming." Like you said, you can really taste the difference. I bloom some dried anchos and chipotles (but without any oil) then grind them into powder. My chili powder is 8 tbsp whole cumin seed, 8 tbsp oregano, 4 tbsp paprika and a tsp of cayenne. Bloom them in the skillet for a minute or two then into a coffee grinder to make the powder. I don't make texas-style chili but I'm going to give Blue's recipe a try real soon. Better than any cook book I'm guessing with all the tweaks he's discovered.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Painkiller: Recurring Evil
3. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Painkiller: Recurring Evil Mar 1, 2012, 21:41 Ratty

Yeah, I've bought a couple of these expansions and they're just no good. They don't match the levels to the enemies - often they'll just throw a random group of Painkiller baddies at you with no regard to the style of level. And difficulty is uneven. The first expansion I got I finally ended up playing most of the last levels in god mode just to get through it. The second one I got I never bothered to get even half way through.

Sigh. I miss PCF. The last couple of games done by some of their old members just never measured up to Painkiller's magnificence.

News Comments > BioShock Infinite in October
16. Re: BioShock Infinite in October Mar 1, 2012, 14:01 Ratty

BioShock has never had consolitis as bad as some games. Prez puts it well with his comment about the reasonable tradeoffs with mass-appeal. But still it had a bit of a consoley feel to it I never really liked. The news about the old school mode is pretty exciting and a huge step in the right direction. This is an obvious buy for me but I want to see some actual gameplay videos, not scripted set pieces, before I decide whether it's a day one purchase.  

News Comments > Diablo III Launch Date Announcement Nears
11. Re: Diablo III Launch Date Announcement Nears Feb 24, 2012, 10:40 Ratty

Obviously sarcastic Blue post? Blue, have you been snarking on Diablo III behind our backs?  

7. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 23, 2012, 14:33 Ratty

Will W wrote on Feb 23, 2012, 12:48:
I use a 21" Webber Smokey Mountain smoker. I can easily fit 12+ racks of ribs on the smoker, using rib racks so they don't lay flat. I've done 2 pork butts and 6 racks at once without trouble as well, and I'd say depending on the size you could most likely fit 3 butts per shelf (2 shelves).
The Weber Smoky Mountain is the smoker America's Test Kitchen recommended in an equipment review awhile ago. They thought Big Green Egg was too heavy and too expensive but also didn't like it because of its lack of a water pan, though they really liked the constant temperature it kept.

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Demo for All
16. Re: Mass Effect 3 Demo for All Feb 17, 2012, 11:15 Ratty

How depressing. The only thing I'm looking forward to this year are the upcoming Skyrim DLCs. I'm moderately interested in Bioshock Infinite but for some reason it doesn't excite me. I think all the heavy scripting in the previews they've shown has turned me off, though that may be unfair.

Sorta curious about the ME3 demo. It looks awful consoley in the gameplay videos and chock full of cutscenes. But I might give it a go depending on other people's experiences.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 17, 2012, 10:51 Ratty

Verno wrote on Feb 17, 2012, 10:24:
I like Chrome as well but I always find its lacking one or two little things that I can't get without FF extensions. The Chrome "app" situation hasn't improved much since the last time I checked it out unfortunately, maybe I should just bite the bullet and look at the API to see if I can hack together a few of the things I need.
You actually should give it a try. If you already know javascript, DOM, HTML, etc., it's pretty simple and a bit liberating. There was something very specific and fairly simple I wanted my browser to do that I knew no one else would write an extension for so I set aside some time to learn about it all and did it myself. Packaging it correctly was complicated but I later found there's all kinds of programs out there that will do that part for you.

News Comments > Far Cry 3 in September
23. Re: Far Cry 3 in September Feb 16, 2012, 10:45 Ratty

I didn't get Far Cry 2 because a) it wasn't on islands anymore - the whole Africa setting just didn't appeal to me, and b) there were no sci-fi elements in it anymore. It's funny, I know the sci-fi elements are what most people bitch about: "it would have been a great game except for all the mutant shit," but realistic shooters don't appeal to me. Since FC3 is on islands again I'm inclined to get it, even without mutants.

The original Far Cry is in my top 5 favorite games of all time. Some of those maps were just legendary.

News Comments > Quoteworthy - Tim Schafer on Game Budgets
12. Re: Quoteworthy - Tim Schafer on Game Budgets Feb 12, 2012, 09:24 Ratty

just because someone is an expensive well known movie star doesn't mean they can do good voice acting.
Yeah, Linda Carter was OK, but not worth the millions they probably paid her.

16. Re: Helicopter parents Feb 10, 2012, 15:59 Ratty

Alamar wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 14:24:
Ratty wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 10:56:
So funny. Right out of my favorite Everybody Loves Raymond episode ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cThuaPUD_Q

Good times... One of the few shows where I have the entire collection on DVD... Course, it helps that they were like $15 a season... : )

I stopped buying TV Shows (and movies, I guess) though... Takes up too much room : )

-Alamar
I only got to know the show through reruns. Was never the least bit interested when it broadcast. I mean, who wants to watch something that starts with "Everybody Loves ..." Now, I've probably seen every one 4 or 5 times - a few a lot more than that.

I haven't bought a TV show on DVD for years and years but I just got the Blu Ray set for Space: 1999 Season 1 a couple of days ago for something like $40. It was sooo worth it.

5. Re: Helicopter parents Feb 10, 2012, 10:56 Ratty

So funny. Right out of my favorite Everybody Loves Raymond episode ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cThuaPUD_Q

8. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 9, 2012, 13:08 Ratty

DNForever wrote on Feb 9, 2012, 12:41:
How does freezing enhance the flavor?
I should add I make vegi chili from the Greens Cookbook. I'm not a vegi myself, I just really like it. So yeah, possibly meat chunks could get messed up. The beans are fine though. Not mushy or anything. (Now I feel bad for polluting Blue's Texas Style chili thread with mention of beans).

3. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 9, 2012, 11:27 Ratty

Canning your chili or the nagas? I've never thought about canning my chili - it's an interesting idea. I'll be interested to hear how that turns out.

Ever since I discovered how much freezing enhances the flavor I now always make my batches a week in advance and freeze them into portions. Though I also have to make it twice as hot because it gets milder over time. It's pretty inedible right after I cook it.

News Comments > Skyrim Sizzle Reel
3. Re: Skyrim Sizzle Reel Feb 9, 2012, 11:17 Ratty

Drayth wrote on Feb 9, 2012, 10:58:
I do hope some of those do make it.. the spear combat looked pretty rad.
Actually just about all of them were pretty awesome. The problem is they'd have to dedicate resources to test for balance issues and bugs. I've long wished I could buy training for my followers but I can see how that might imbalance things.

The giant mudcrab is a no-brainer though. That MUST go in with the next patch.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 8, 2012, 13:32 Ratty

Why do I feel oddly embarrassed when someone else's cell phone rings and I pull my own out of my pocket to check? I feel a little like an idiot. It's similar to when you see somebody waving in your direction and you wave back, but of course they were waving at someone behind you.  

News Comments > Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit
67. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 7, 2012, 20:54 Ratty

Yup. You can tell the difference. It looks nice. But I lost my nudie textures *grump*  

29. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 7, 2012, 16:10 Ratty

Kastagir wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 15:28:
I think there will be quite a few people who end up owning two copies of Skyrim. One for their (shit) console and one for the PC.
I finally broke down and got an XBox about a year ago and bought a used copy of Oblivion for it. I thought it'd be fun to relax in a big chair in my living room and play it on a big screen TV rather than hunched over at my computer for a change. But as an archer it was impossible. At that first Ayeleid ruin you get to after leaving the sewers I kept getting my ass kicked by that one archer. Granted he's pretty tough anyway at level one but it took me about 15 or 20 seconds to even line up my bow to take a shot at him, in which time he'd dodge to the right or the left or shoot me 5 or 6 times. So really, you can be an archer using a controller?

After that I gave up and only used the box to watch Netflix - except Netflix never streams anything I want so it's just been gathering dust unless the kids come by.

13. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 7, 2012, 15:03 Ratty

I have a nudie mod installed. Do you think I should get rid of that before getting the hi-res mod?  

News Comments > Thief Gold Steals Its Way Onto GOG.com
15. Re: Thief Gold Steals Its Way Onto GOG.com Jan 31, 2012, 14:10 Ratty

Bill Borre wrote on Jan 31, 2012, 12:57:
Return to the Cathedral scared the shit out of me. One of the few moments in any game where I was genuinely frightened.
Heh. Games don't scare me. but I do remember one very tense moment where I had to pick a lock under a bright glowing street light right by where a zombie was making his shambling patrol and I had to be very quick before he turned around and saw me. No shadows to hide me there and, yeah, I guess it made me a teensy bit scared.

Another great thing I liked in that level was the opportunity to pit the living against the undead since they hated each other. Tease a horde of zombies into chasing after you right into a group of spiders and burricks, jump out of the way and watch the mayhem unfold. I've always been partial to mayhem by proxy and wish more games would incorporate it.

I am reminded of this because I was playing Skyrim last night and there is one quest where you have to kill the Silver Hand. On the way in you find a werewolf locked in a cage and I tried repeatedly to release him and get him to attack his Silver Hand tormentors but instead he kept getting into a fight with Vilkas (who I could not leave behind out of the way somewhere). It was kind of disappointing I couldn't make it work and I remembered Return to the Cathedral. Those guys were great at giving you what you wanted.

1153 Comments. 58 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo