Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ratty

Real Name Ratty   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ratty
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 11, 2005, 20:15
Total Comments 1144 (Pro)
User ID 22908

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls MMOG Announcement in May?
21. Re: The Elder Scrolls MMOG Announcement in May? Mar 16, 2012, 11:38 Ratty

wtf_man wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 11:36:
You are confusing the in-house Bethesda developers, with the parent company, Zenimax.

Bethesda Game Studios has no interest in creating an MMO, nor a multi-player version of TES, for that matter. They only make Single Player games.
I hope that's true. I just don't want to see any Bethesda staff or resources devoted to anything else than the upcoming DLC and the next SP Elder Scrolls.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > "Spectacular" Crytek Announcement Next Month
30. Re: Mar 12, 2012, 12:44 Ratty

ItBurn wrote on Mar 12, 2012, 12:37:
And to those saying that the ai and stealth was broken, you are crazy. Crysis 1 and Far Cry had the best ai I've ever seen in a shooter. They don't shoot you if they don't see you. Clearly you weren't hiding.
We had some Far Cry discussion here a few weeks ago and that prompted me to replay the game. A stealthy playthrough, where possible, was damn fun. I emptied out entire levels with my silenced MP5 with no one the wiser. Tag them on your radar, crawl into position in the brush, and a single bullet to the head to take them out one at a time.

News Comments > "Spectacular" Crytek Announcement Next Month
28. Re: Mar 12, 2012, 12:34 Ratty

ItBurn wrote on Mar 12, 2012, 10:58:
The first Far Cry is one of my favorite games ever. Best multiplayer since Blood. And I loved the mutants. It added a layer or horror and survival to the game. It was a very varied game.

Crysis 1 was ok, big open spaces, lots of options, but it lacked something that can't be described. It was sanitized.

I haven't even played the second one. I mean, a corridor shooter? "Press start button"? Autoaim? Really?
Totally ditto here on all counts. FarCry: the most awesome thing in the universe. Crysis: pretty fun but no FarCry. Crysis 2: didn't even bother.
Beamer wrote on Mar 12, 2012, 12:01:
Far Cry was great until it became impossible in the end.
Sepharo wrote on Mar 12, 2012, 12:09:
I remember the rusted out boat level being a little strange. You had to swim out to it and then navigate an annoying entrance and fight helicopters from the deck right? Not a good area.
Of course the big problem with FarCry was uneven difficulty but I much prefer a game to be too hard than the opposite. We just don't get hard games nowdays. So I'm OK with it.

News Comments > Romero on Making an Old School FPS: "I Have Plans"
13. Re: Romero on Making an Old School FPS: "I Have Plans" Mar 11, 2012, 15:29 Ratty

I'd look forward to playing it if I had an IPad or smartphone.  

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 "Biggest Entertainment Launch of 2012"
33. Re: Mass Effect 3 Mar 10, 2012, 12:33 Ratty

Bhruic wrote on Mar 10, 2012, 04:33:
Doesn't mean I like it, frankly I thought the ending(s) sucked. I felt the same way I did with the Deus Ex endings - instead of having the various decisions I made along the way matter, they just give you a bunch of options (crappy ones in this case) and make you choose. Ending cop-out 101.
Name any modern game that advertises how your choices influence the game and doesn't cop out with the lame multiple cutscene endings. All the Deus Exs did it, FO3 and FO:NV, Elder Scrolls, etc. I'm with you: that has always annoyed me no end.

The only game I can think of that truly did branching into radically different games based on decisions you made was one called Strife. It was built on the original Doom engine, so you know how long ago that was.

Wasn't there an article here a couple of days ago mentioning how game designers were loathe to ever put things in a game that not everybody would see? Perfectly understandable but I don't have to like it.

News Comments > BioShock Infinite's Motorized Patriot
4. Re: BioShock Infinite's Motorized Patriot Mar 8, 2012, 10:45 Ratty

That "Protect our Race" sign is a new, darker detail of the game I didn't know about.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 8, 2012, 10:42 Ratty

Netflix May Resurrect "Terra Nova".
The turd that wouldn't die. I wouldn't even hope for resurrecting Firefly; those guys have gone off to do other things. But Stargate Universe is still ripe for the plucking. It took a while but I came to really love that show.

News Comments > Molyneux Quits Lionhead
17. Re: Molyneux Quits Lionhead Mar 7, 2012, 11:53 Ratty

Waah. Every time I see Dungeon Keeper mentioned somewhere it makes me cry.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
29. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2012, 15:40 Ratty

eunichron wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 14:53:
  • Dexter; kind of disappointed with the last season, but it's really hard to top seasons 2 and 4
  • Dexter definitely has its ups and downs. Almost all of the last season was sitting on my DVR until I was finally bored enough to watch the whole thing over a few nights. Hate the baby. I'm sure the producers (or the original author) thought ha ha, how fun would that be? A serial killer by night and a diaper changer by day. But it just gets in the way and is distracting. But the big thing is how any peril Dexter gets into - whether it's almost getting discovered or almost getting killed - seems to be wrapped up neatly in the first five minutes of the next episode. Oh no! Dexter's drugged and tied up in the back of the killer's van! Next episode: he wakes up and somehow manages to untie himself and kill the guy in the first scene. And there's a LOT of that sort of thing in Dexter.

Still, the last season's cliff hanger was pretty awesome and kind of what everyone had been waiting for. If THAT's tied up neatly and forgotten about by the end of the episode next season I'm definitely cancelling my subscription to Showtime. (Then I can start watching Spartacus!)

15. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2012, 12:45 Ratty

PHJF wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 12:35:
    You shouldn't admit in public to watching True Blood.

Blue, where is your talk of Spartacus? We're half way through season two here!
    Heh, I thought I'd get called out for New Girl, not TB.

I'd watch Spartacus too if I got Starz.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2012, 12:29 Ratty

Thank god Terra Nova's gone. Flat hokey characters, flat hokey dialog. Maybe Fox will have enough money now to keep Fringe going.

What I watch:
    Archer (of course)
    Walking Dead/Talking Dead
    True Blood
    Dexter
    Fringe
    Family Guy
    Supernatural
    Psych
    New Girl

I tried to watch Game of Thrones but I just don't like it. All the evil people and betrayals make me feel bad.

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown Trailer
    15. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Trailer Mar 6, 2012, 12:11 Ratty

Love the "ant farm" base. Very cool.  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2012, 12:23 Ratty

brother19 wrote on Mar 5, 2012, 09:59:
    When I make chili I combine dry spices in a cast iron pan, with a small amount of oil, and sear them a little bit. Brings out the flavor.
    Yup. It's called "blooming." Like you said, you can really taste the difference. I bloom some dried anchos and chipotles (but without any oil) then grind them into powder. My chili powder is 8 tbsp whole cumin seed, 8 tbsp oregano, 4 tbsp paprika and a tsp of cayenne. Bloom them in the skillet for a minute or two then into a coffee grinder to make the powder. I don't make texas-style chili but I'm going to give Blue's recipe a try real soon. Better than any cook book I'm guessing with all the tweaks he's discovered.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Painkiller: Recurring Evil
    3. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Painkiller: Recurring Evil Mar 1, 2012, 21:41 Ratty

Yeah, I've bought a couple of these expansions and they're just no good. They don't match the levels to the enemies - often they'll just throw a random group of Painkiller baddies at you with no regard to the style of level. And difficulty is uneven. The first expansion I got I finally ended up playing most of the last levels in god mode just to get through it. The second one I got I never bothered to get even half way through.

Sigh. I miss PCF. The last couple of games done by some of their old members just never measured up to Painkiller's magnificence.

News Comments > BioShock Infinite in October
    16. Re: BioShock Infinite in October Mar 1, 2012, 14:01 Ratty

BioShock has never had consolitis as bad as some games. Prez puts it well with his comment about the reasonable tradeoffs with mass-appeal. But still it had a bit of a consoley feel to it I never really liked. The news about the old school mode is pretty exciting and a huge step in the right direction. This is an obvious buy for me but I want to see some actual gameplay videos, not scripted set pieces, before I decide whether it's a day one purchase.  

News Comments > Diablo III Launch Date Announcement Nears
    11. Re: Diablo III Launch Date Announcement Nears Feb 24, 2012, 10:40 Ratty

Obviously sarcastic Blue post? Blue, have you been snarking on Diablo III behind our backs?  

7. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 23, 2012, 14:33 Ratty

Will W wrote on Feb 23, 2012, 12:48:
    I use a 21" Webber Smokey Mountain smoker. I can easily fit 12+ racks of ribs on the smoker, using rib racks so they don't lay flat. I've done 2 pork butts and 6 racks at once without trouble as well, and I'd say depending on the size you could most likely fit 3 butts per shelf (2 shelves).
    The Weber Smoky Mountain is the smoker America's Test Kitchen recommended in an equipment review awhile ago. They thought Big Green Egg was too heavy and too expensive but also didn't like it because of its lack of a water pan, though they really liked the constant temperature it kept.

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Demo for All
    16. Re: Mass Effect 3 Demo for All Feb 17, 2012, 11:15 Ratty

How depressing. The only thing I'm looking forward to this year are the upcoming Skyrim DLCs. I'm moderately interested in Bioshock Infinite but for some reason it doesn't excite me. I think all the heavy scripting in the previews they've shown has turned me off, though that may be unfair.

Sorta curious about the ME3 demo. It looks awful consoley in the gameplay videos and chock full of cutscenes. But I might give it a go depending on other people's experiences.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
    3. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 17, 2012, 10:51 Ratty

Verno wrote on Feb 17, 2012, 10:24:
    I like Chrome as well but I always find its lacking one or two little things that I can't get without FF extensions. The Chrome "app" situation hasn't improved much since the last time I checked it out unfortunately, maybe I should just bite the bullet and look at the API to see if I can hack together a few of the things I need.
    You actually should give it a try. If you already know javascript, DOM, HTML, etc., it's pretty simple and a bit liberating. There was something very specific and fairly simple I wanted my browser to do that I knew no one else would write an extension for so I set aside some time to learn about it all and did it myself. Packaging it correctly was complicated but I later found there's all kinds of programs out there that will do that part for you.

News Comments > Far Cry 3 in September
    23. Re: Far Cry 3 in September Feb 16, 2012, 10:45 Ratty

I didn't get Far Cry 2 because a) it wasn't on islands anymore - the whole Africa setting just didn't appeal to me, and b) there were no sci-fi elements in it anymore. It's funny, I know the sci-fi elements are what most people bitch about: "it would have been a great game except for all the mutant shit," but realistic shooters don't appeal to me. Since FC3 is on islands again I'm inclined to get it, even without mutants.

The original Far Cry is in my top 5 favorite games of all time. Some of those maps were just legendary.

1144 Comments. 58 pages. Viewing page 16.
    < Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo