Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ratty

Real Name Ratty   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ratty
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 11, 2005, 20:15
Total Comments 1111 (Pro)
User ID 22908

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue May 30, 2012, 13:25 Ratty

Verno wrote on May 30, 2012, 10:58:
Just getting some shit off my chest. Our little yorkie Lucy passed away yesterday. She had a little doggie version of a stroke and her equilibrium was off as a result. She could barely get around and obviously wasn't happy so we put her down. She had been blind for a few years which was really rough at first but eventually we discovered that her other senses more than made up for it. All the same I had a long 16 years with her and my GF and her daughter have only been around for 3 but seem to be taking it harder than I am.

I don't really know the protocol for these things, this has been my only pet and has been with me since I was 16. Part of me really wants to wait and just mourn for awhile but another part wants another little companion again as soon as possible. My GFs daughter is totally heartbroken and keeps asking when Lucy will come back from heaven, three year olds are adorable.
I've been through quite a few pets over my lifetime. I've decided the best thing to do is get a new one the very next day. One day to mourn and remember what a great dog he was is enough. Any more than that and you are yielding to the notion that to get a new dog too soon is somehow disrespecting the memory of the old one. But it's not like they're in doggy heaven frowning down on you for "forgetting" them. You're not forgetting about them. For a while you'll think about them fondly every single day. You'll compare the new dog's behavior with the old one, noting how they behave differently, how they're not as good in some ways as the old one, seeing how they're better in some ways too.

By the way, I love the story about how your old dog was blind but he adapted and flourished under your patient care anyway. I'm a sucker for that kind of thing: dogs with no back legs wheeling around in custom wheelchairs, that sort of thing. Bravo to you sir.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Diablo III Claims Sales Record
93. Re: Diablo III Claims Sales Record May 23, 2012, 18:41 Ratty

Loved D1. Got burned on D2 - shelled out my money like a sap only to discover the SP game sucked. Didn't play it more than an hour before uninstalling it. Never even got excited about D3. Some of us DO learn our lessons.  

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. May 18, 2012, 14:15 Ratty

Nah, if you want to see the Diablo secret level you have to watch Robbaz King of Sweden play it. Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB0XHZ7Ee1o  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse May 18, 2012, 14:12 Ratty

Skype and Comcast. Talking to somebody on your TV sounds kind cool. I wonder if it can do picture in picture so you can watch things "together?" Surprised nobody's done that yet.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
10. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 16, 2012, 12:12 Ratty

Hyatus wrote on May 16, 2012, 12:01:
Ratty wrote on May 16, 2012, 10:58:
Unskippable commercials even for shows you record as they air. Yeah, I'll be quitting Comcast then.
[...]
I think the answer is to make clever commercials people will want to watch. Like super bowl halftime ads.

So the answer is to make clever commercials for you to skip over?
I don't know, a Depends commercial could be pretty funny. Also if the actors were nude I'd bet more people would watch (though probably not in a Depends commercial)

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 16, 2012, 11:30 Ratty

Beamer wrote on May 16, 2012, 11:20:
Well, the thing about building it into their DVR is who gets paid for it? Comcast puts commercials in their On-Demand because they get some money for it. But regular networks?
Comcast now owns NBC so I see a big incentive there.
But part of it is also that it's Psych, so I'm usually half-watching anyway.
Ha! So totally agree with that.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse May 16, 2012, 11:25 Ratty

I'm still a very active Flickr user and I still love it. I think it's successful as a social platform as there are lots of ways to meet friends and interact with them. But I have noticed a lot of my friends are disappearing and new images I'm interested in are becoming a lot rarer. So something is happening, though I'm not sure what. Maybe it's what the article talked about: not enough localization or emphasis on mobile.

I remember the whole Yahoo ID debacle, though. Users were livid, including me. But on the whole it was a small tempest in a teapot.

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 16, 2012, 10:58 Ratty

Beamer wrote on May 16, 2012, 10:09:
"Fox and NBC: Dish's commercial-skipping DVR 'a strange thing to do' at best, 'an insult' at worst."

In the "be careful what you wish for" department, we're probably less than 3 years away from permanent ad bugs or ad scrolls during shows to compensate for revenues lost via commercial-skipping viewers.

Of course, no one wants to watch crap with that crap, so ad-revenue-driven programming will likely cut back significantly. That's not just networks but basic cable. Which will drop cable subscription rates, meaning HBO will suffer, too.

On the plus side, all of this will force new business models and, probably, new content creativity.
On the down side, it will likely lead to a few lame years and some serious viewing habit fragmentation (which we kind of have, anyway.)
I was pretty disgusted and horrified when I found just a few days ago I couldn't skip commercials on Comcast's on-demand TV shows. It's not all TV shows yet, just a couple of networks so far. But the writing is on the wall. Now I make damn sure I save TV shows to my DVR when they air instead of expecting to catch up with On-Demand.

I won't be surprised if they build that into their DVRs sometime soon. Unskippable commercials even for shows you record as they air. Yeah, I'll be quitting Comcast then.

As far as new business models go Beamer, I remember they did some very obvious product placements on both Psych and Eureka a couple of seasons back. Psych had constant references to some deodorant throughout the season. It was obvious they were having a little fun with it. I rolled my eyes but I admit it didn't disgust me. For Eureka it was a car, also over several shows. I imagine that would get very very old if we saw that constantly on all of our shows.

I think the answer is to make clever commercials people will want to watch. Like super bowl halftime ads.

8. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2012, 15:11 Ratty

nin wrote on May 12, 2012, 13:02:
Debating if I want to see Dark Shadows. I love Tim Burton, but this one doesn't look great.
Sorry, but it looks awesome.

7. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2012, 15:04 Ratty

Prez wrote on May 12, 2012, 14:55:
Goddammit - they cancelled Alcatraz. Why do I bother watching any Sci-fi shows anymore?

It wasn't even that great, but it was decent, and it's not like we're flooded with choices these days.
I hear ya. I never watched Alcatraz but I got burned on enough others to learn my lesson. I'll never again waste time watching a serialized sci-fi show from the beginning. I'll wait until ratings are high or until the second season before I start watching, and then catch up through Netflix. (Or, used to be, On Demand before Comcast stopped letting you fast forward through commercials (and they wonder why people download their stuff from torrents)).

You'd think the networks would learn their lesson. People aren't going to start watching their serialized shows because now we just expect they'll be cancelled.

This comment was edited on May 12, 2012, 15:09.

News Comments > BioShock Infinite Delayed
27. Re: BioShock Infinite Delayed May 9, 2012, 14:12 Ratty

I can't recall now the hype for the original Bioshock, but from what I've been hearing about Infinite it does seem they are taking a pretty big risk as far as character interaction. No more mute hero and NPCs behind glass (or at least the main NPCs - they're still relying on the old gimmick of audio logs). Incorporating conversations during gameplay and outside of cutscenes has got to be hard to do right. And I guess they're pretty sensitive to context: depending on what you do and their mood the dialog can be completely different. Unlike in Skyrim where you can murder someone right in front of a merchant and they'll happily continue hawking their wares and making cheerful conversation.

I don't know if it'll be like Oblivion was, where they promised way more than they delivered as far as the characters, but it'll be interesting. I think they need all that extra time to put in a whole ton of if/else stuff in their dialog code.

9. Re: Out of the Blue May 7, 2012, 12:12 Ratty

Creston wrote on May 7, 2012, 11:46:
If not having coffee for a few hours gives you a huge headache, you have some serious, serious caffeine-addiction issues, Blue
Agreed. I gave up all caffeine a few years back and was surprised what a difference it made. I was calmer and slept better. I did it by going to half decaf for a couple of weeks, then quarter decaf for a while. Nowdays I just have one large half decaf latte every morning.

News Comments > Official The Elder Scrolls Online Announcement
42. Re: Official The Elder Scrolls Online Announcement May 4, 2012, 18:50 Ratty

NKD wrote on May 4, 2012, 08:07:
To be fair, I think people are a bit confused. It's a separate studio (ZeniMax Online Studios) working on this huge pile of shit. I wouldn't worry about the future of the singleplayer Elder Scrolls franchise.
Hey thanks for that NKD. Not being a multiplayer gamer that was my primary worry. No more SP ES games for a long while. Still, I have to worry that they'll hold off on them to boost sales for the MMO. Jonesing for some new ES action? We've got your game right here and it's the only game in town.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse May 2, 2012, 13:06 Ratty

So many other worthy shows to revive. Why Jericho? I never hated Jericho like I did, say, Terra Nova. But I couldn't ever get into it either.  

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Dawnguard Revealed
29. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Dawnguard Revealed May 1, 2012, 20:19 Ratty

We get mods, the creation kit, access to the console, Steam, free hi-res texture packs. Let the console kiddies have this one.  

News Comments > Minerva's Den Vets Form Studio
5. Re: Minerva's Den Vets Form Studio May 1, 2012, 11:13 Ratty

I've heard Minerva's Den was really good but I just don't want to deal with GFWL. I got a new computer, don't remember the account or password I've used, don't want to bother figuring out how to reset it - plus I've heard I may not even be able to play it anyway because of GFWL problems.  

2. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 29, 2012, 17:17 Ratty

Sometimes you never know what you'll find on Blues News. I'd never even bother clicking on an interview with Garry Marshall anyplace else but I saw it here, read the whole thing, and enjoyed it. Now my life is enhanced with newfound knowledge about Garry Marshal.  

News Comments > Skyrim DLC Hints?
1. Re: Skyrim DLC Hints? Apr 27, 2012, 19:39 Ratty

AGDFT!  

2. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 27, 2012, 11:29 Ratty

Ran here as fast as I could to report Fringe had been renewed. Curse you nin! Beat me to it.

Zooey Deschanel: Damn girl! Where are your eye lashes?

Phaser: Surprised and glad to see he built the only true ST phaser. None of that Next Gen crap for him.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2012, 11:44 Ratty

Moving is among the most traumatic experiences I can think of. Moving from the area you were born and raised and came to love to ... Los Angeles? That's gotta hurt. Glad you're looking at it as a new adventure in life - which is true. Best wishes to you and the Mrs. and your little dog too.  

1111 Comments. 56 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo