Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ratty

Real Name Ratty   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ratty
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 11, 2005, 20:15
Total Comments 1149 (Pro)
User ID 22908

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Black Mesa Released
34. Re: Black Mesa Released Sep 14, 2012, 14:52 Ratty

Verno wrote on Sep 14, 2012, 14:36:
ledhead1969 wrote on Sep 14, 2012, 14:20:
Has Revolution started? Is it terrible?

Haha oh dear, well you asked! They aired the pilot on the web a few days ago and it is fucking terrible.
That's a shame. I read a review this morning where they compared it favorably to Terra Nova and Falling Skies (as in, those two shows are worse) but without the hokey, fake family drama. You know, the rebellious son who comes to accept and love his father. I hate that contrived shit.

By basic science foundations do you mean like "if all electricity stopped working why don't they die on account of our nerves and brains use electricity?" which I don't care about - sufficiently advanced technology being indistinguishable and all that. Or something more egregious?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Black Mesa Released
8. Re: Black Mesa Released Sep 14, 2012, 13:14 Ratty

nin wrote on Sep 14, 2012, 13:05:
Somebody page mad max! I need more tears!

Mad Max RW wrote on Sep 19, 2005:
Over-ambitious mod teams that will NEVER EVER EVER be released... Case in point, Black Mesa: Source. There's a better chance of seeing Half Life 6 before this sorry heap.

Oh snap! Seriously though, what is this guy's problem?

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 13, 2012, 12:30 Ratty

Only one of those fallen sites I ever visited regularly was Voodoo Extreme. I never really liked it there for some reason. But it was all there was after my favorite Stomped changed from a gaming aggregator to on online gaming league. I was real sad about that. Then after a little bit at VE I discovered Blue News and never looked back.

Here's hoping Blues has many more years until it too appears on a list.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
12. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 10, 2012, 11:29 Ratty

nin wrote on Sep 10, 2012, 10:21:
(ignoring the mod) Wow, no Skyrim?! Slackin...
Isn't this the first week they haven't been on the list?

News Comments > StarCraft II: Heart of the Storm Units Video
7. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Storm Units Video Sep 8, 2012, 21:11 Ratty

Bhruic wrote on Sep 8, 2012, 18:51:
I tend to prefer turtling, which made a lot of the missions quite difficult (especially for ones like the mission where the firestorm was progressing over the planet).
Too funny. I stopped playing SC2 on that very mission. I really hate time limits in any game. Don't get me wrong, I loved SC2 and I mean to get back to it Real Soon Now. The terran campaigns were always my favorite, followed by the Zerg (never finished the Protoss in the original) but that fire planet one was too frustrating. I know I can finish it pretty easily but I want to get every secret and couldn't manage to do that no matter how many times I tried.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 5, 2012, 11:00 Ratty

Reminds me of The Event for some reason. That was cancelled after a season. Why get invested in these mythology shows anymore? The article says the critics hate it anyway, who cares what sci-fi fans think. Yeah, I'll stay away for the first season and maybe check it out if it lasts into a second season. It's like these network premieres are for things to look forward to the following year. And yes I guess that makes me part of the "problem" but whose fault is that?  

News Comments > Op Ed
16. Re: Op Ed Sep 4, 2012, 14:39 Ratty

Creston wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 11:11:
And then they make it harder just by doing the BS "you do less damage, enemies do more damage and have ten times the HP" routine.
Amen to that. In the original Thief games as you upped the difficulty more areas became accessible to you, but there were more enemies and some shadows were missing making sneaking more difficult. Plus the better ammo became much rarer. Painkiller did a pretty good job of it too. Let's see more creativity in difficulty levels please.

And about the article, the first author is on crack. Sure, let's take away more player choices cause I want you to play the game my way. Oh, and quicksave ruins games too so we didn't put it in so you're forced to have a more visceral experience.

The second author is on crack because he defends playing games on easy. What a moron. How about, I always play games on hard but the existence of Easy difficulty doesn't bother or affect me at all.

News Comments > Black Mesa Source This Month
61. Re: Black Mesa Source This Month Sep 3, 2012, 01:46 Ratty

peteham wrote on Sep 2, 2012, 17:30:
Prez wrote on Sep 2, 2012, 17:09:
Like others I have long since lost interest in this project, but as one who has proclaimed publicly that this project was vaporware and would never be released I guess now it's time to admit publicly I was wrong. I may try it one day when its complete if the commmunity says it's worth it, but credit to the team I guess for actually sticking with it after all this time and releasing something.
After eight years, I doubt anyone still remembering it didn't have it at least partially filed under vaporware.
Nameless Mod was released 9 years after Deus Ex. I had forgotten about it too and assumed it was another mod that promised too much and fell apart. But it was such a nice surprise when it finally came out and I thoroughly enjoyed it (3 times).

Rather than criticize a team for taking so long I have to give them big props: keeping their vision alive for so long. I couldn't sustain something like that. I tend to give up on big projects after about a year.

News Comments > Black Mesa Source This Month
59. Re: Black Mesa Source This Month Sep 3, 2012, 01:37 Ratty

Prez wrote on Sep 2, 2012, 20:05:
I really liked the Xen sequence at the end of Half-Life (okay, the Super Mario/Gordon jumping was a tad annoying) because as awesome as Black Mesa was, one can only spend so much time in it before it becomes old hat. Xen was a perfect and much needed fresh angle, and suitably and deliciously foreign and alien. To me anyway - judging by the near universal dislike of the Xen levels it is clear I am in the distinct minority.
Wow! Someone else who liked Xen. I thought I was the only one!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
21. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 2, 2012, 18:42 Ratty

Sugar is sugar. The only thing about HFCS that makes it worse than cane sugar is it's so much cheaper, and makes it much easier to to consume too much of it.  

6. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 31, 2012, 11:25 Ratty

All this time and I don't think I knew Hudson was a girl.  

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Hearthfire Announced
20. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Hearthfire Announced Aug 28, 2012, 15:36 Ratty

Jivaro wrote on Aug 28, 2012, 14:46:
A console DLC. I doubt PC users are going to see much need for this. Honestly, I have zero problem with that. I am a PC user, but I will take the mod community, the CK, and the mods over DLC any day. Every single piece of DLC for this game could be console only and I wouldn't care. The community can do better and often does. (of course, you have to sift through the crap too, but hey..nothing is perfect!)
Absolutely true. There are quite a few excellent mods now for player homes, from the modest to the opulent. A few let you customize aspects of it, and at least one lets you build it from the ground up. It will be interesting to see how Bethesda's measures up to the best of the mods already out there.

Let the XBoxers have this one. I guess if I had to grump it would be that they're wasting time that could be spent on the next meaty, questy DLC.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 25, 2012, 18:37 Ratty

Maybe one of those Actors Read Yelp Reviews will do your feedback.

"Our tongues ... and our psyches ... were scalded by their ineptly prepared hash browns." (Fights back tears)

News Comments > etc., etc.
5. Re: etc., etc. Aug 24, 2012, 23:14 Ratty

Nah. I was making something for dinner and I needed softened butter but forgot to set it out. So I put the stick in my pants for awhile until it was perfect.

It's Friday night and I'm lonely and bored in case you couldn't tell.

3. Re: etc., etc. Aug 24, 2012, 20:56 Ratty

Waffles for dinner? Are you daft? Here's a hint: the butter's INSIDE my pants.  

1. Re: etc., etc. Aug 24, 2012, 18:57 Ratty

I am at this moment sitting in front of the computer with butter down my pants. Can anybody guess why?  

6. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 24, 2012, 11:53 Ratty

nin wrote on Aug 24, 2012, 11:39:
Ratty wrote on Aug 24, 2012, 11:37:
So are you going to make some omelets now the Julia Child way? You know, shake shake shake. You should have an omelet party.

Between the dogs, the teeth, the driving of Mrs, the stove, and now the pans, I get the feeling there's never a dull moment at the Blue household. Almost sitcom worthy...

True. Then there's that maybe broken toe. A time bomb just waiting to go off.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 24, 2012, 11:37 Ratty

So are you going to make some omelets now the Julia Child way? You know, shake shake shake. You should have an omelet party.  

News Comments > Game Reviews
3. Re: Game Reviews Aug 24, 2012, 06:09 Ratty

Acleacius wrote on Aug 24, 2012, 00:03:
Ratty wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 12:32:
I liked that Serana was more interesting and had a backstory and things to say than any other followers you got with vanilla Skyrim. Again, more like F:NV's companions (I just wish I could tell her to wait and she would listen to me). It seems where Skyrim excelled over its predecessors was when it used ideas from F:NV. If only they'd made regenerating health a Restoration perk.

I'm waiting for there to be some meaty quest mods instead of the endless armor, house, weapons, etc. mods we're still getting.
You know about UFO, right?
I played with UFO for awhile solely so that my followers would ride horses, but I never used any of the other functionality. I uninstalled it because lately I haven't been using followers. They were just getting in the way and without a lack of personality or back story there wasn't any reason to want them around.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
50. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 23, 2012, 19:09 Ratty

jimnms wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 17:51:
Ratty wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 12:05:
The one annoyance I still have is when I highlight a filename by single clicking twice in Explorer Windows 7 never includes the extension anymore so I have to go through the extra hassle of selecting the entire filename.

Are you serious? That was probably the biggest improvement made in the Win7 explorer. That feature alone has probably saved a lot of time because I need to rename just the file name more than file and/or extension. In WinXP there was a lot of extra typing when renaming files when I didn't need to change the extension.

If you need to rename a file and the extension in Win7, just hit SHIFT+END or CTRL+A to select the whole file name. Also it's faster to hit F2 to rename a file than single clicking twice, and this prevents it from registering as a double click and opening the file if you click too fast by accident. You're going to be using the keyboard to type the file name anyway, so it's a lot faster to F2, CTRL-A and type than to click... click, select and drag file name with the mouse, then move hands to keyboard and type.
Ha, that's funny. I totally see your point. I guess I just very rarely rename files. I highlight the file because 99% of the time I want to copy the filename to the command line when running a program or paste it into a document. I have to do that about 50 times a day whereas I actually need to rename file a couple times a week at most.

That extra ctrl-A just pisses me off.

1149 Comments. 58 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo