Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ratty

Real Name Ratty   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ratty
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 11, 2005, 20:15
Total Comments 1138 (Pro)
User ID 22908

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Hearthfire Announced
20. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Hearthfire Announced Aug 28, 2012, 15:36 Ratty

Jivaro wrote on Aug 28, 2012, 14:46:
A console DLC. I doubt PC users are going to see much need for this. Honestly, I have zero problem with that. I am a PC user, but I will take the mod community, the CK, and the mods over DLC any day. Every single piece of DLC for this game could be console only and I wouldn't care. The community can do better and often does. (of course, you have to sift through the crap too, but hey..nothing is perfect!)
Absolutely true. There are quite a few excellent mods now for player homes, from the modest to the opulent. A few let you customize aspects of it, and at least one lets you build it from the ground up. It will be interesting to see how Bethesda's measures up to the best of the mods already out there.

Let the XBoxers have this one. I guess if I had to grump it would be that they're wasting time that could be spent on the next meaty, questy DLC.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 25, 2012, 18:37 Ratty

Maybe one of those Actors Read Yelp Reviews will do your feedback.

"Our tongues ... and our psyches ... were scalded by their ineptly prepared hash browns." (Fights back tears)

News Comments > etc., etc.
5. Re: etc., etc. Aug 24, 2012, 23:14 Ratty

Nah. I was making something for dinner and I needed softened butter but forgot to set it out. So I put the stick in my pants for awhile until it was perfect.

It's Friday night and I'm lonely and bored in case you couldn't tell.

3. Re: etc., etc. Aug 24, 2012, 20:56 Ratty

Waffles for dinner? Are you daft? Here's a hint: the butter's INSIDE my pants.  

1. Re: etc., etc. Aug 24, 2012, 18:57 Ratty

I am at this moment sitting in front of the computer with butter down my pants. Can anybody guess why?  

6. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 24, 2012, 11:53 Ratty

nin wrote on Aug 24, 2012, 11:39:
Ratty wrote on Aug 24, 2012, 11:37:
So are you going to make some omelets now the Julia Child way? You know, shake shake shake. You should have an omelet party.

Between the dogs, the teeth, the driving of Mrs, the stove, and now the pans, I get the feeling there's never a dull moment at the Blue household. Almost sitcom worthy...

True. Then there's that maybe broken toe. A time bomb just waiting to go off.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 24, 2012, 11:37 Ratty

So are you going to make some omelets now the Julia Child way? You know, shake shake shake. You should have an omelet party.  

News Comments > Game Reviews
3. Re: Game Reviews Aug 24, 2012, 06:09 Ratty

Acleacius wrote on Aug 24, 2012, 00:03:
Ratty wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 12:32:
I liked that Serana was more interesting and had a backstory and things to say than any other followers you got with vanilla Skyrim. Again, more like F:NV's companions (I just wish I could tell her to wait and she would listen to me). It seems where Skyrim excelled over its predecessors was when it used ideas from F:NV. If only they'd made regenerating health a Restoration perk.

I'm waiting for there to be some meaty quest mods instead of the endless armor, house, weapons, etc. mods we're still getting.
You know about UFO, right?
I played with UFO for awhile solely so that my followers would ride horses, but I never used any of the other functionality. I uninstalled it because lately I haven't been using followers. They were just getting in the way and without a lack of personality or back story there wasn't any reason to want them around.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
50. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 23, 2012, 19:09 Ratty

jimnms wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 17:51:
Ratty wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 12:05:
The one annoyance I still have is when I highlight a filename by single clicking twice in Explorer Windows 7 never includes the extension anymore so I have to go through the extra hassle of selecting the entire filename.

Are you serious? That was probably the biggest improvement made in the Win7 explorer. That feature alone has probably saved a lot of time because I need to rename just the file name more than file and/or extension. In WinXP there was a lot of extra typing when renaming files when I didn't need to change the extension.

If you need to rename a file and the extension in Win7, just hit SHIFT+END or CTRL+A to select the whole file name. Also it's faster to hit F2 to rename a file than single clicking twice, and this prevents it from registering as a double click and opening the file if you click too fast by accident. You're going to be using the keyboard to type the file name anyway, so it's a lot faster to F2, CTRL-A and type than to click... click, select and drag file name with the mouse, then move hands to keyboard and type.
Ha, that's funny. I totally see your point. I guess I just very rarely rename files. I highlight the file because 99% of the time I want to copy the filename to the command line when running a program or paste it into a document. I have to do that about 50 times a day whereas I actually need to rename file a couple times a week at most.

That extra ctrl-A just pisses me off.

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Re: Game Reviews Aug 23, 2012, 12:32 Ratty

I finished Dawnguard a few nights ago. It was pretty good. I'd say I got my moneys' worth. But not as good as the F:NV DLC. Their two large new areas had only a fraction of the things you could do in F:NV's DLCs.

Since I've never been into Vampires I chose the Dawnguard side (I love the crossbow). I might go back and do it as a Vampire just for the hell of it when I'm bored.

I liked that Serana was more interesting and had a backstory and things to say than any other followers you got with vanilla Skyrim. Again, more like F:NV's companions (I just wish I could tell her to wait and she would listen to me). It seems where Skyrim excelled over its predecessors was when it used ideas from F:NV. If only they'd made regenerating health a Restoration perk.

I'm waiting for there to be some meaty quest mods instead of the endless armor, house, weapons, etc. mods we're still getting.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 23, 2012, 12:05 Ratty

NKD wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 10:43:
I've been messing with Windows 8 and from a performance standpoint it's pretty nice. I can overlook the wacky UI for now. Hopefully in the next version though they scrap it.
When I upgraded to Win 7 I changed everything about the UI to act like Windows XP: using Classic Shell, etc. It's a nice way to enjoy the benefits of a new OS and not deal with most of the headaches. For several months I just hated that "Favorites" was at the top of Explorer forcing me to scroll down to the drive letter I wanted. But just in the last couple of weeks I've started to appreciate it, removing the ones I didn't care about and adding my own. So it just took me some time to come around. I think a new UI should let you do that: give you the option to add new features at your own pace.

The one annoyance I still have is when I highlight a filename by single clicking twice in Explorer Windows 7 never includes the extension anymore so I have to go through the extra hassle of selecting the entire filename.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 22, 2012, 10:58 Ratty

Wasn't there an episode of House where they finally figured out why someone was dying and it turned out to be they'd broken their big toe and there was a clot or something? Don't mean to alarm, I'm just sayin ...  

12. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 12, 2012, 19:57 Ratty

Sepharo wrote on Aug 12, 2012, 17:49:
Haha I do that every few years... Buy a bunch of vegetables and then throw them out a week later. Sorry starving orphans.
Every few years? Wow. I do it at least every six months. Ok, starting Monday!

6. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 12, 2012, 17:44 Ratty

Blue wrote on Aug 12, 2012, 16:38:
Cutter wrote on Aug 12, 2012, 16:21:
Grill up some veg. Green onion, endive, peppers, etc. Good for what ails ye!

I don't talk so much about the greens, but we always grill some. Today, in fact, MrsBlue and I had a bit of a fight, because I was astounded at the potential waste represented by her spending $35.00 on a bag of veggies at the farm stand, as that's too much for the two of us to consume before some of it goes bad.
I have about $35.00 of veggies going to waste in the fridge right how. Last weekend was the one where I was finally going to get into shape and start eating right.

News Comments > BioShock Infinite Gets GoW Producer
13. Re: BioShock Infinite Gets GoW Producer Aug 9, 2012, 19:08 Ratty

I've posted this thought here before but I'll do it again. From everything I've heard they're trying to do some REALLY challenging things that nobody has ever done before. They way they describe what Elizabeth can do and how she reacts in different situations is far advanced of any AI companion in any game so far. The other thing Ken mentions, the skylines, I've never seen anything like that either.

I've been skeptical of the trailers. They seemed so much like cut scenes to me which is a real step back for sandbox games. But I'm thinking - hoping - it's simply because they were showing things that had never been done and I was unused to.

I give Irrational the benefit of the doubt here. If they needed to take another year to make it what they want I'd be fine with that.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
9. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 9, 2012, 10:35 Ratty

For a time I was careful to say "data are" in my emails and documentations. Then I decided it was so artificial and a bit pretentious I gave it up. When I come across that construct elsewhere I always find it a bit distracting and that shouldn't happen in things you write.

I also insist on saying "id is" (as in id software) rather than "id are" (or any corporation for that matter). I find that pretentious and distracting too. Plus I note even John Carmack says "id is."

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 8, 2012, 20:44 Ratty

sic? Someone feeling just a tad anal-retentive this evening?  

News Comments > Blood Revival Proposed
24. Re: Blood Revival Proposed Aug 4, 2012, 21:49 Ratty

Blood has to be in my top 5 favorite all time games. But after Blood 2 I'm skeptical. Still, if they would do a level by level remake with the same gameplay and somewhat better graphics I'd buy it.  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 4, 2012, 21:48 Ratty

I actually had to turn on the heater today! It's friggin freezing in the Bay Area!  

News Comments > Doom 4 Will Support Oculus Rift
35. Re: Doom 4 Will Support Oculus Rift Aug 4, 2012, 12:24 Ratty

Cutter wrote on Aug 4, 2012, 03:50:
Yeah and how many other games will utilize it? $300 is an expensive peripheral for what may not amount to more than a few games. Shit, I'm still waiting for 64 bit to be realized in a major way. Remember Intel's MMX and how that was supposed to change gaming? How about SLI support? 3D? etc. Every few years we get some cool new code or device that's supposed to change everything and it ends up falling by the wayside much sooner than later or never realized at all.

Other 3D glasses and VR headsets have worked with a wide variety of games. They took the 3D data from the graphics card or something. It would be great if they could do the same thing with this. Why can't they? What game-specific things would they have to code in?

1138 Comments. 57 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo