Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ratty

Real Name Ratty   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ratty
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 11, 2005, 20:15
Total Comments 1144 (Pro)
User ID 22908

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Minecraft Passes 50M Units Sold
21. Re: Minecraft Passes 50M Units Sold Jun 26, 2014, 11:08 Ratty

I think it's weird he says he'll never ever put Minecraft on Steam because Steam takes 30% of the sale and because Steam "creeps him out." But he deals with Microsoft and Sony who take a percentage and apparently they don't creep him out.

Weird. Why does he hate Steam so much?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Areal: Spiritual Successor to S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
22. Re: Areal: Spiritual Successor to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Jun 25, 2014, 13:40 Ratty

I love open world games, sandbox games and the like but I could just never get into Stalker. I know people who like the same kinds of games I do love Stalker but I don't know what it is about it. I bought it and played it for two or three days but just stopped playing it. I didn't decide to stop, I just kept putting it off to play other things and never got back to it. I had to decide I just didn't like it.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
19. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 9, 2014, 11:50 Ratty

Dagnamit wrote on Jun 9, 2014, 10:02:
Look guilty? He IS guilty. He broke the law. He's not a "traitor", but he's definitely a coward.
Wow. No matter what you think of Snowden - and I don't particularly care for him on a personal level - the one thing you can't call him is a coward. You really think making a decision which would change his life forever, leaving everyone he knew and loved behind, and turning him into a fugitive from the most powerful nation on Earth is something a coward would do? What do you suppose a true coward would do if they worked for the NSA and witnessed something they believed to be illegal and harmful to the US? A coward would keep his mouth shut and his head down and either go with the flow or find a different job. I have some unpleasant adjectives to describe Snowden but coward is most certainly not one othem.

News Comments > Painkiller Hell & Damnation Demo
4. Re: Painkiller Hell & Damnation Demo Jun 5, 2014, 15:18 Ratty

Slick wrote on Jun 5, 2014, 10:53:
1 line review: not bad, but play the original, still unopposed as best "classic" singleplayer FPS of all time.
You are absolutely right! The best bar none. It is the perfect game in my opinion. Still flawless.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 4, 2014, 10:24 Ratty

Ack! Must avoid GoT spoilers. I'm almost caught up. Just 4 more shows on my DVR to go. I had a whole season and a half unwatched and have been having a marathon. I saw the Red Wedding Sunday night. I'd heard so much about it and thought it would be super disgusting, gory, or disturbing, but I did not expect THAT. Now I've been hearing about the duel with The Mountain and what an awesome scene it is and I have no idea whatsoever what will happen.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
23. Re: Sergey Brin says he's 'kind of a weirdo' and shouldn't have worked on Google+. May 30, 2014, 12:20 Ratty

Verno wrote on May 30, 2014, 09:47:
Agreed. I fucking loathe Google+. I used to have one google account, now somehow I have 3 different youtube "identities" and its constantly badgering me about which one to use. They also made a google+ profile apparently without my fucking permission. Opt-out social network? Get fucked! Google needs to hire some non-engineers.
I hate it hate it hate it. Same thing happened with my Youtube. To make it worse my school moved from its own mail service to gmail about a year ago so now I have even more than 3 google personalities I have to manage. I've had to separate my surfing into 3 separate browsers. If I want to read work mail I have to use IE. If I want to check out my youtube subscriptions I have to use Firefox. If I want to search google or access google voice that has to be done on Chrome. I do this so I'm not constantly having to log in and log out and remember the different passwords depending on what I want to access. And youtube STILL fucking nags me to choose which account I want to use every time I open it. It constantly wants to sign me in by my real name since that's my work gmail login. How can I troll youtube if it prints my real name???

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
6. Re: Evening Tech Bits May 30, 2014, 12:04 Ratty

Aero wrote on May 29, 2014, 21:12:
Re teleporting data: I think that article may be misleading, I'm hardly an expert in the field, but I believe there exists a proof that quantum entanglement *cannnot* be used to actually send information. The (poorly explained, probably incorrectly simplified) gist of it being: you have one half of an entangled pair, and you examine it and say "aha, it's spin up" and therefore you know, instantaneously, your buddies particle five light years away is spin down. That's amazing and all, but it's just the knowledge of what the particle five light years away is doing that has travelled instantaneously, which which really is a transfer of zero information in the technical sense of 'information.' You would have to be able to force the states of the particle pair in order to actually transmit information. Not that it isn't useful as is. I understand the phenomena is even used today in cryptography, but all it can tell you is whether or not your message has been observed in transit (and there are even questions about that).

Please correct me if I'm wrong. The information I'm basing this claim on is over 20 years old.

edit: Oh, and I should probably add for the sake of the pedants that I understand it's not just like pulling billiard balls out of a sack blindfolded, but that the particle doesn't collapse into a spin up or spin down state until it's looked at, but this doesn't affect the principle.
Here's how I remember it from physics way back when: Actually transferring information via entanglement requires two channels: the instantaneous entangled channel and a slower than light classical channel. Basically if you try and get information from the entangled channel it is indistinguishable from random noise. But combine it with the classical channel - a laser say - and the entangled information can be encoded. This works for absolutely secure transmissions that can't be intercepted and IIRC they have demonstrated these secure transmissions several years ago.

6. Re: Morning Metaverse May 9, 2014, 11:04 Ratty

I so so so want to get off Comcast. Not only are they expensive but I just don't want to be any part of their huge, slimy machine. I wish there was a website called something like "Cutting the cable in your area" that listed all the alternatives to cable and ISPs available in the various places people live. And what are the options for the non OTA television shows I like to watch? I really don't mind getting some of them a season later on Netflix, but none of those shows stream. You have to get the DVDs in the mail. At least I'm not into watching sports as I know that's sometimes a barrier to cutting the cable.

OK, how about this on a website? You fill in a checklist of the shows you like to watch and they tell you where you can get them besides cable.

Oh, and the last thing. I must be able to fast forward through commercials. One of the reasons Hulu isn't a viable option for me.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
1. Re: Evening Safety Dance May 7, 2014, 20:06 Ratty

House Committee axes NSA bulk phone metadata collection.

Thanks Ed!

1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 1, 2014, 12:02 Ratty

State laws that ban municipal Internet

Why do I get the feeling this will never happen?

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Apr 28, 2014, 20:01 Ratty

It's like Battlestar Galactica. They were using corded hand telephones and unnetworked systems to foil the cylons. Let's see the Russians try to hack vacuum tube technology.  

8. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 24, 2014, 13:02 Ratty

Still use Firefox though they're making it harder for me. They're following the trend of gearing the UI for the first-time or extremely casual user at the expense of everybody else. They want to make it easier for Grandma to search for her recipes or use the Facebook. But that never made sense to me. After everyone is a first time user for a little while they become an experienced user for life. So you're catering to the first 5% of a user's experience instead of the 95% of the rest of their experience. And who doesn't use their browser daily in this day and age.

Still, their saving grace is you can add a lot of this stuff back in with add-ons. Some of them don't work as well as when the functionality was built in though.

12. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 14, 2014, 19:39 Ratty

Cutter wrote on Apr 14, 2014, 15:13:
And they mainly want the staff to be invisible.
I saw a PBS documentary on Jiro Ono, the "greatest sushi chef in the world." Jiro Dreams of Sushi.
If you get a chance you should watch it. Anyway, he has maybe 8 people sit at the sushi bar he owns in a Tokyo subway and serves them several different types of sushi. You don't choose, he does. But the creepy thing is after he serves it he stands there and stares at you until you finish it. Then he serves another and stares at you. I can't imagine a more uncomfortable dining experience but I guess people love it cause it's so traditional.

Cutter wrote on Apr 14, 2014, 15:13:
And whilst I've been to Napa several times, no I haven't been to French Laundry nor would I. I don't like restos that are precious darlings.
Precious darlings, that's so well said. I'm reading Soul of a chef - a great book if you like food - and the last third is on the French Laundry which I'd never heard of. It sounds like another experience I wouldn't care for. They serve, like, 10 courses of teensy tiny servings. I guess the flavors and everything are metaphysical perfection or something. Give me some man-sized servings I can shovel into my gullet, that's dining. And they're the kind of dishes where you have stuff stacked on other stuff. I do not like food that is stacked on other food. A bed of micro greens, a scallop, sauce, a fried beet chip, another scallop, pickled elephant garlic, more micro greens - I just made all that up, but it's stacked like a foot high. I hate that shit. Too hard to shovel.

Best meals I ever had were at Chez Panisse - I was taken as a guest several times. That was a good experience and at least now I know what truly fine food is like. And nothing was stacked up on anything else.

News Comments > Viscera Cleanup Detail Early Access
7. Re: Viscera Cleanup Detail Early Access Apr 7, 2014, 20:03 Ratty

nin wrote on Apr 7, 2014, 18:23:
Based on the robbaz video, I'm sold.

Well exactly. People watch the video and get a big laugh at the ridiculousness of it all and decide to reward the developers with a bit of money, and maybe play it for an hour themselves and post to youtube. These games cost less than a movie ticket, right? I think it's great.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 1, 2014, 14:15 Ratty

Beamer wrote on Apr 1, 2014, 13:21:
1) What DRM can you possibly put into these monitors you strap to your eyes? Please elaborate, giving some precise details into how you'd set such a system up
Um, people are putting DRM in coffee pods and ink jet toner cartridges nowdays. So, yeah, use your imagination.

News Comments > Op Ed
17. Re: Op Ed Mar 31, 2014, 11:56 Ratty

Suppa7 wrote on Mar 31, 2014, 10:50:
It's not that gamers are killing videogames, it's that us oldsters were abandoned.
Yeah, I've kind of resigned myself to that. I buy one, maybe two games a year nowdays. I supplement that by replaying old games I still love. I figure it'll be like comic books for me. Used to buy several dozen every year, but they changed and modernized and left me behind and now I don't ever buy comics anymore. I figure I need to find a new hobby as the games I want to play eventually dwindle to nothing. Maybe that's too pessimistic.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
5. Re: Evening Interviews Mar 25, 2014, 01:59 Ratty

Cutter wrote on Mar 24, 2014, 21:27:
Yeah, well good luck with that Kenny me boy. Let Molyneux know how that works out, lol!
I love that picture of him, brooding, staring off into the distance. *swoon* Wow, such a visionary *swoon*. Seriously though, I also like it when developers take - and are allowed to take - risks like this, even when they don't pan out. Here's hoping he doesn't end up like Molyneux (whose foibles I will always forgive since he made Dungeon Keeper).

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 17, 2014, 11:29 Ratty

They say there are no bad dogs, just bad owners. But that's one bad dog. Bad Dog!  

2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 13, 2014, 10:14 Ratty

Pigeon wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 10:10:
Mental illness day for the news stories, $40 per phone, apple is loco in the coco. Also the story about the teen killing his grandmother over DOTA was pretty terrible too.
I was guessing which country the Dota story happened in before reading it. I guessed either Korea or Taiwan, because that's where these crazy stories always happen. Philippines, damn, I was wrong.

1144 Comments. 58 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo