Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ratty

Real Name Ratty   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ratty
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 11, 2005, 20:15
Total Comments 1138 (Pro)
User ID 22908

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Interviews
30. Re: Evening Q&As Apr 3, 2013, 14:39 Ratty

Beamer wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 13:33:
I remember that. Tim posted about how difficult the economic realities of running a studio are.
People flipped out and said he was an asshole because they didn't understand what he wrote.
I heard about the Looking Glass guys playing UT on their last day because they told that story in the context of that quote. As in this is a game we loved and admired so much this is what we chose to go out with. And then the quote. I guess they didn't understand what he wrote either because they were bitterly disappointed. Whatever truth there may have been it was still tasteless so soon after the closing.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Evening Q&As Apr 3, 2013, 13:27 Ratty

Creston wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 12:29:
Approximately one week after the PS4/720 are out, Epic's monkeys will be back to their "TEH PC IS PIRATEZ! FUCK TEH PC!" rhetoric.

They're the most predictable clowns in gaming history.

Creston
I played Unreal Tournament for hours a day, just about every day, for YEARS. What an awesome game that was. I remember when Looking Glass Studios closed, the employees talked about spending their last day playing Unreal Tournament together. Then whatsisname at Epic, Tim something posted a comment on Looking Glass's closure deriding a company made up of "MIT grads" and saying basically oh well, sink or swim, survival of the fittest, if you can't turn a profit you shouldn't be in the business. Tasteless. Then they released Unreal Tournament 2 and the magic was truly gone.

17. Re: More Big Picture Details Apr 3, 2013, 11:50 Ratty

HorrorScope wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 11:17:
I do see consoles with 8 gig of ram a huge win for pc games and have said so a dozen times.
Oh totally agree there. I've never been so excited about a console launch in like forever, even though I wouldn't get one. It's a huge huge win for PC gamers. Eventually. I just wonder how long it will take for us to reap the benefits.

13. Re: More Big Picture Details Apr 3, 2013, 10:38 Ratty

HorrorScope wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 09:56:
I like how he focuses on 32 Bit Windows limitations as the big difference between the PC and PS4:

A. Most of us can go beyond that now but have been held back because of console memory limits.

B. Those that don't have 64 bit windows, will upgrade when truly needed.

He mentions most pc's are still 32 bit, I thought Win7-64 is now the dominant gaming o/s, no? I hope he's not being stupid counting all pc's in existence as 99% of those are made for gaming.
Actually, despite my skepticism when clicking the link (to see what Sony ass kissing thing Epic had to say), the memory limit is a good point. I hadn't thought about it before. It will be interesting to see how long it will take before 64-bit OSes will be required. And until then will 32-bit OSes be the lowest common denominator that limit games for a change? Will games released after the new console releases not be made for PCs because the number of 64-bit systems is still too small to be profitable? Steam Hardware survey lists 64-bit Windows 7 at 55% so I'm guessing that won't be the case. Also we have yet to see what the new XBox will bring to the party,

News Comments > The Journeyman Project Trilogy Remake
6. Re: The Journeyman Project Trilogy Remake Mar 28, 2013, 19:12 Ratty

I played it too. I think it was the second computer game I ever played, after Myst. I remember going to the game store to look for a game that specifically ran in Windows like Myst did cause I thought that would be a good thing. Didn't know back then DOS games with all their boot disk and upper memory shenanigans were where all the good games were happening. Anyway, I bought it because it was just about the only Windows game I could find.

I still remember the magic of that evening in Leonardo Da Vinci's studio and gardens. I could almost smell the honeysuckle.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite
44. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 26, 2013, 17:15 Ratty

No quicksaves is a deal breaker for me. Won't be getting this until it's on a cheap sale sometime down the road.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite
13. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 26, 2013, 11:46 Ratty

vrok wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 11:32:
Checkpoint system combined with resurrection drives me nuts.
So what does that mean, checkpoint system? And why does it suck? By resurrection do you mean something like the old Vita chamber system? No way to turn it off?

I was going to wait for the price to come down but goddamit if I don't have a stinkin 4-day weekend coming up.

News Comments > New Thief's New Garrett Profiled
20. Re: New Thief's New Garrett Profiled Mar 14, 2013, 16:37 Ratty

dheer wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 15:41:
go ahead and make trailers with fighting, backstabbing, blood and some crappy music of the day
Actually in all seriousness you made me remember that the trailers and gameplay footage for Thief 2 were an awful lot more actiony than the game actually was, depending on how you played of course. Lots and lots of arrows taking down guards, sword fighting with Haunts and the like. I'm still pessimistic but what you say is not out of the realm of possibility.

14. Re: New Thief's New Garrett Profiled Mar 14, 2013, 15:19 Ratty

Cutter wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 15:06:
Ok, I give them the benefit of the doubt - and so should all of you - after Ass Creed and DXHR. However, I agree, that video did nothing to reassure me. In fact, it set my teeth on edge. The designer being both too young - and french - clearly doesn't seem to get why people love Garret and Thief. Whatever changes Batman has been through at his core he's still the Batman. You don't need to reinvent him and you don't need to reinvent Garret. So, in short, this game has gone from top of my list to a now reserved status. Le sigh.
I feel like a father who finds out his kids love the newer Star Wars episodes more than the original trilogy. Then is horrified to realize all their friends agree. More action, better special effects - and more Jar Jar! Just like I feel every time I read a young gamer who says Thief Deadly Shadows was better than the originals and Deus Ex Human Revolution was way better than the first one on account of how ugly it was. It's a losing battle, man. Just step back and cherish your memories.

5. Re: New Thief's New Garrett Profiled Mar 14, 2013, 11:28 Ratty

At this point I just wish they'd let Thief die a dignified death. Whatever they come up with is gonna suck.  

News Comments > Thief (4) Details Inbound
38. Re: Thief (4) Details Inbound Mar 5, 2013, 15:17 Ratty

Jerykk wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 12:30:
The chances of this being a pure stealth game are slim to none. It'll most definitely make combat a more viable option than it was in the previous games.
I'm betting you're right. Which is a shame. Dishonored had some great stealth gameplay but I felt the design and gameplay options they added to support full combat weakened the game. I know everyone loves Dishonored and I enjoyed playing it but there was some element of "meh" to the whole thing I can't quite put my finger on. Something a little too Harvey Smith minimalist about it a la Deus Ex Invisible War. Like he applied his philosophy of boiling everything down to the absolute core elements needed and discarded anything else as distractions. Maybe it's that half the equipment and powers were useless to me. Yet when I compare stealth features of Dishonored against those of Thief they come out about even. Like I said, I haven't put my finger on it yet.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2013, 12:17 Ratty

nin wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 09:03:
Blue's recipe page! Blue's recipe page!!!

That would be awesome

News Comments > StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm 24 Hour Launch Party
1. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm 24 Hour Launch Party Feb 26, 2013, 20:19 Ratty

This motivates me to finally finish the Terran campaign if it kills me. Terrans have always been my favorite anyway. Protoss: least favorite  

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
4. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Feb 24, 2013, 12:46 Ratty

Wait, I thought Republicans were against regulation and government interfering with private industry. If carriers don't allow cellphone unlocking shouldn't we let the free market weed them out?  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Crysis 3; Review Roundup
31. Re: Ships Ahoy - Crysis 3; Review Roundup Feb 20, 2013, 15:01 Ratty

All the hate for the aliens and mutants in Crytek games. If I wanted to play a version without the monsters I might as well play Battlefield or CoD. I just have no desire to play a realistic shooter. I liked the aliens and monsters.  

News Comments > New Wolfenstein Game?
19. Re: New Wolfenstein Game? Feb 9, 2013, 22:57 Ratty

kyleb wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 20:30:
Ratty wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 16:09:
Really loved the first one done by Raven.
Raven only did the most recent Wolf game. The previous one was made my Gray Matter, who previously made Kingpin, Quake II: The Reckoning, and the Redneck Rampage and Cyberia games under the name Xatrix, and later merged with Treyarch.
You're absolutely right. I loved RtCW by Graymatter. The last one by Raven was the one that I thought was consolized crap. Thanks for correcting me. I wonder if I still have the disks. I haven't played it in ages and I'll need something after I do Dragonborn.

News Comments > New Wolfenstein Game?
4. Re: New Wolfenstein Game? Feb 9, 2013, 16:09 Ratty

Really loved the first one done by Raven. Bought their second one and played it for about 30 minutes before putting it away forever. Just console crap. One of the reasons I almost never buy games on day one anymore.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 8, 2013, 11:24 Ratty

Now I'm hungry for lasagna.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dragonborn
7. Re: Ships Ahoy - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dragonborn Feb 5, 2013, 23:01 Ratty

Back off Barbas is a must have. I tried UFO for awhile but didn't care for it. Let's see what else: Quality World Map, Oblivious Horses (so Shadowmere doesn't charge at every enemy and get himself killed) and SkyUI naturally, the unofficial patches. Mostly a pretty vanilla Skyrim. I tried several others from time to time but went back to the basics. Maybe a nudie mod, but I'm not telling.  

News Comments > Junction Point Studios Closed
23. Re: Junction Point Studios Closed Jan 29, 2013, 19:55 Ratty

Riker wrote on Jan 29, 2013, 18:19:
I remember being very disappointed to hear that Warren was going to be making Disney games. Nothing against Disney or its IP, but it seemed like a waste of talent. I still have tremendous faith in Warren, and hope that he gets his mojo back. Less Epic Mickey, more Deus Ex.
I don't know. It does sort of sound like the kind of thing he'd do. He has his game philosophy of choice and emergence (or whatever it is) and he's said often enough it almost doesn't matter what kind of game it is. There was his whole city block obsession - set a game entirely in one city block and he could cram it with detail and choice and interaction and it would engage the player. From what I heard, Epic Mickey had Spector's fingerprints all over it in that regard.

1138 Comments. 57 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo