Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ratty

Real Name Ratty   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ratty
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 11, 2005, 20:15
Total Comments 1138 (Pro)
User ID 22908

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
22. Re: Out of the Blue May 21, 2013, 11:19 Ratty

Creston wrote on May 21, 2013, 11:12:
Well, that was fun yesterday... Had a tornado touch down about ten miles away, and spent about an hour hiding in the closet from all the rotation going overhead
Wow. I would have definitely cried in that closet if it were me. Here's hoping the bad weather is past.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Alas Flickr, it's been fun May 21, 2013, 11:03 Ratty

Wow. Just wow. The Flickr redesign just sucks so hard. They've followed the Microsoft trend of making everything huge. Used to I could login and see all my friends latest photos on one screen of thumbnails. I could see at a glance which of their photos had comments and how many. Now everything is gigantic and you have to mouse over every single enormous image to see if it has comments.

I know people will always complain when there's a redesign, but this was clearly done by people who never actually used Flickr regularly. They made it all nicer looking and tablety and Windows 8-ey but practically wiped out all usability and functionality. My guess is they're more interested in attracting new users than anything else.

As a sometimes web designer this is actually a good lesson for me. Don't sacrifice form for functionality. If it's a question between usability and looking good, always choose the former. Find out how your visitors actually use your site and design for that. I sometimes forget all that and get too enamored with my own gorgeous designs.

30. Re: Out of the Blue May 17, 2013, 13:47 Ratty

I've had a couple of incidents where I suffered brief periods of impaired vision
Just all those years of masturbation catching up with you. You did know it caused blindness, right?

My fast food weakness is Taco Bell. Love it. Could eat it every day. Thank god there aren't any near me. I like it way better than authentic Mexican food. So sue me.

9. Re: Out of the Blue May 16, 2013, 12:47 Ratty

InBlack wrote on May 16, 2013, 09:56:
Bacon dogs....man....sometimes just sometimes I envy you americans
OK, I think I might just try these if I can find them before memorial day. Haven't had hotdogs in ages. When making hotdogs Oscar Mayer wouldn't exactly be my first choice, but what the hell. I'll let you know if they're any good.

News Comments > Op Ed
22. Re: Op Ed May 15, 2013, 13:16 Ratty

Verno wrote on May 15, 2013, 12:50:
I don't know, I find Metacritic super helpful for upcoming release dates and to have a central spot for things I missed.
That's what I use it for too. 0% useful for the reviews. I usually rely on people I know on boards like this who have the same taste in games and the same gripes as me in helping to decide whether to buy a game. But during the year I'll read about an interesting game in development on some site then forget about it forever. It's good to have one place where I can go, oh that's right. I remember being interested in that game a while back.

News Comments > Op Ed
18. Re: Op Ed May 15, 2013, 12:41 Ratty

And that means each of us must decide for ourselves how to define success. For me, that means achieving a kind of self-satisfaction - knowing my team accomplished the goals we set as effectively as we could, given circumstances
Publishers just LOVE that!

10. Re: Out of the Blue May 7, 2013, 12:49 Ratty

Oh you kids and your fancy graphics, vocalized dialog and regenerating health. Fact: Daggerfall >>> Skyrim > Morrowind > Oblivion > Arena.  

2. Re: Sandstorm May 7, 2013, 10:42 Ratty

I've never been afraid of heights, but yeah, I'd drop a watery load if I was that guy.  

3. Re: Out of the Blue May 5, 2013, 13:18 Ratty

Gib007 wrote on May 5, 2013, 13:01:
My wife, who's Mexican, says that Cinco de Mayo is no big deal at all in Mexico and most Mexicans don't really know what the "holiday" is about at all!
I was just going to say the same thing. I had always heard it was MUCH bigger in the US than Mexico (but didn't really know for sure till your post)

11. Re: Out of the Blue May 1, 2013, 15:04 Ratty

Hoop wrote on May 1, 2013, 12:38:
Does antimatter fall up?
Does it really matter?
Well to answer my own question as a matter of fact it does.
So that clears up that little matter.
To conclude here is a picture of the matterhorn.
http://goo.gl/sEkkl
Ignore the people in it they don't matter just concentrate on the Matterhorn.
I love antimatter. It was predicted from first principles by Dirac and then later confirmed experimentally. I always thought that was cool. Also cause it's so science-fictiony. Antimatter would make lousy weapons. In Star Trek they overestimated the amount of energy antimatter annihilation produces by many many orders of magnitude. It takes about 50 grams of antimatter to generate the same energy as a 1 Megaton hydrogen bomb. But the damage would be many times less cause most of the energy generated is neutrinos. 100% of physicists are certain antimatter does not fall up, because Einstein, rotting in his secret grave, demands that it falls down like everything else. But they would be remiss if they didn't test it.

The Matterhorn is cool too. It was my second favorite ride at Disneyland. Matterhorn is Swiss for "Chocolately Miss" on account of it looking like a Hershey's Kiss.

News Comments > Thief Production Issues?
26. Re: Thief Production Issues? Apr 27, 2013, 12:39 Ratty

I always said the game would be worthless console crap and now I think so even more (though for a little while with the last round of interviews I allowed myself to get my hopes up just a little - shame on me). Seeing as how they've already spent so much money on this it has to now appeal to the widest possible audience to hope to recoup their investment, even more than before. Call of Taffers indeed!

For the record DX:HR was a pretty good game but it wasn't Deus Ex. Predicting a similar treatment for Thief 4 doesn't fill me with hope and joy. And no Stephen Russell is just a slap in the face.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 22, 2013, 12:05 Ratty

Those news anchors are the same ones who mocked whats her name Kardashian. They're a hoot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCs1Q565E4g

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
5. Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 22, 2013, 12:00 Ratty

Creston wrote on Apr 22, 2013, 11:47:
The novel I'm currently reading, "The Great North Road" by Peter F Hamilton, unintentionally has a very topical part about how they investigate a murder in a city where every single inch is covered with the future equivalent of cameras.

Essentially they just pull all the data from every "camera" in the entire city for a set amount of time and colate it into this VR 'zone' which allows them to observe the city second by second and backtrack basically everyone and everything that way.

It's a cool thing to read, but quite unnerving if you think about it. It seems pretty likely that's the direction it's going to go, though. Especially in the UK (where Hamilton is from.)

Great sci-fi writer, btw. If you love expansive sci-fi, pick up his "Pandora's Star" novel. Best sci-fi novel ever, imo.

Creston
Love love love Hamilton (except his endings, those have consistently stunk). I was thinking about getting North Road but I don't really care for detective scifi. Murder mysteries in spaaaace. Nah.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 22, 2013, 11:57 Ratty

Agreed, as much as the cultish nature of Apple turns me off they have made some spectacularly cool things. First the IPod, then the IPhone. Their walled garden approach to these is OK with me but I'd never get an IPad. That's too close to a computer that could do real work and I refuse to be limited to Apple-approved apps bought on ITunes for something like that.  

News Comments > Another Bethesda Mini-Tease
6. Re: Another Bethesda Mini-Tease Apr 17, 2013, 14:54 Ratty

His all too rare editorial comments is what makes this site head and shoulders above the rest.  

News Comments > Skyrim Development Ends; Bethesda on to "Next Adventure"
42. Re: Skyrim Development Ends; Bethesda on to Apr 15, 2013, 16:53 Ratty

Cutter wrote on Apr 15, 2013, 14:07:
Why do you all want Elswyr so much? I"d much rather have the Black Marsh. Utilize some underwater adventures with the Argonians. Ruined towers in the swamps, trolls, etc. Black Marsh would be hella more cool than Elsewyr!

So totally agree. I'm hoping for Black Marsh too. I've always loved a swampy setting in games, ever since Redneck Rampage. Valenwood would be cool too - lots of treehouse type stuff a la the Ewok moon of Endor.

I'm bummed all we're getting is two mediocre DLCs though. Maybe they'll license out some DLCs to a third party. I mean, why wouldn't they?

2. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 13, 2013, 14:36 Ratty

Ha, I watched Spartacus a couple of times when they had those free Starz weekends. The gore and sex was so hilariously gratuitously over the top. It was like the perfect essence of what the gladiator genre is supposed to be. It wasn't quite my cup of tea but maybe you'd have to watch awhile to get into the characters and the plot. Though I really would have liked to see more of Xena.  

News Comments > Evening Interviews
5. Re: Evening Interviews Apr 13, 2013, 12:34 Ratty

Panickd wrote on Apr 13, 2013, 10:41:
Benefits? Always having the latest updates which add new functionality and stability to whatever the product is
Why would you need ALWAYS on to get the latest updates? A one time check at startup would accomplish that. Better name a couple more.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 9, 2013, 13:29 Ratty

I hope the cicadas show up around these parts. I remember being absolutely terrified and fascinated by them as a little kid. Like gigantic enormous horseflys - I was sure they had a nasty bite. Creepy is the best word to describe them.  

News Comments > LucasArts Closed
18. Re: LucasArts Closed Apr 3, 2013, 15:18 Ratty

Epic Jabba!  

1138 Comments. 57 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo