Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ratty

Real Name Ratty   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ratty
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 11, 2005, 20:15
Total Comments 1151 (Pro)
User ID 22908

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
5. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jun 27, 2013, 19:44 Ratty

Tom wrote on Jun 27, 2013, 18:10:
Is encrypting my email any good at defeating the NSA survelielance? Id my data protected by standard encryption?

Answer:

Encryption works. Properly implemented strong crypto systems are one of the few things that you can rely on. Unfortunately, endpoint security is so terrifically weak that NSA can frequently find ways around it.
Hey thanks. I didn't know about that quote.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jun 27, 2013, 10:43 Ratty

I've always suspected the govt has had a quantum computer for a number for years and can easily crack any common encryption. I'm wondering if some of those unreleased Snowden documents might reveal that.  

News Comments > Steam Game Sharing Planned?
36. Re: Steam Game Sharing Planned? Jun 19, 2013, 14:08 Ratty

Pigeon wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 11:01:
Sounds comparable to a demo
Just what I was thinking since demos seem to have died out in the last few years. Though I always suspected it was so publishers could over-hype games without users finding out via demo what a load of bullshit it all turned out to be. I'm sure the sharing option would be subject to publisher approval. Yeah, I'd pay a couple of bucks to participate in something like that, especially since it would be so easy and transparent on Steam.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
10. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 17, 2013, 13:42 Ratty

Tumbler wrote on Jun 17, 2013, 12:28:
Ratty wrote on Jun 17, 2013, 11:45:
Wait, didn't I read someplace that their reply to the question was "Microsoft Studios" games would be 59.99 but they declined to comment on any other publishers' games? Is this a clarification?

There has been no clarification on standard price for third party games. They could still announce it at $69.99.
Oh, OK. I was misinterpreting the article title. "Microsoft's XBox One Games" means games from Microsoft, not games for Microsoft's XBox One.

7. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 17, 2013, 11:45 Ratty

Wait, didn't I read someplace that their reply to the question was "Microsoft Studios" games would be 59.99 but they declined to comment on any other publishers' games? Is this a clarification?  

52. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 11, 2013, 12:56 Ratty

SpectralMeat wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 09:14:
Just hearing the crowd and the reactions of people when they've announced the used game stuff was awesome and should send a pretty clear message to Microsoft.
I'm not saying the freedom Sony appears to be giving their customers isn't a great thing, but you do know they often pack these kinds of audiences with their own cheering/applause boosters.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
5. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jun 7, 2013, 21:38 Ratty

I was reading a NYT op-ed defending PRISM this morning (written by a lawyer, natch) and my friends and I were playing a fun game of spot the false assumption. For example this gem:
The raw “metadata” requested will not be directly seen by any F.B.I. agent. Rather, a computer will sort through the millions of calls and isolate a very small number for further scrutiny.
That's right, a super-secret impregnable computer designed so that no human could ever access its raw data. Yeah, right.

Article is here: Making a Mountain Out of a Digital Molehill

Anyway, I just want to say for those thinking liberals are OK with it as long as it's a democrat doing it, that is not true. I don't know a single liberal friend (and I'm a die-hard liberal) who isn't pissed to mighty hell about all of this.

News Comments > Metro: Last Light Selling Well
17. Re: Metro: Last Light Selling Well Jun 3, 2013, 16:07 Ratty

I've been watching this game on a Let's Play channel on youtube. It looks absolutely phenomenal. Love the expressive faces and animations. Love the gritty realism of the characters and the believable dialog. Some of the outdoor areas especially are literally the best I've ever seen in a computer game so far. But I have no temptation to buy it. There's just so much there that says not my kind of game, but I am enjoying watching someone else play it.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
9. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 31, 2013, 10:43 Ratty

wtf_man wrote on May 31, 2013, 09:25:
It still sucks.

But MS doesn't care. They want in the mobile market so badly, that they will ram that ugly UI and their store down desktop users throats, no matter what.

There is little hope for Windows 9.
Yeah, someone finally explained that to me in a way I could understand. They want people to buy their smartphones and tablets and are using the Windows 8 UI to make them comfortable with the UIs on their other products and more likely to buy them. I could just not understand what MS manager was so stupid to put a touch-driven interface on a PC OS. Turns out they're not stupid, they just see the future in mobile devices and couldn't give a damn about the PC market anymore.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue May 29, 2013, 10:06 Ratty

Efflixi wrote on May 29, 2013, 09:57:
I can't believe how well Barbara Eden has aged! Definitely some magic going on...
The years have been very kind of her. She looks fabulous. Look at that flat tummy. She really lucked out. She might have ended up here: http://www.mandatory.com/2012/09/14/plastic-surgery-catastrophes

20. Re: Morning Consolidation May 23, 2013, 13:17 Ratty

nin wrote on May 23, 2013, 11:31:
Rattlehead wrote on May 23, 2013, 11:27:
Wtf is a CTO

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=CTO

Rolleyes

Heh, I never saw that before. Cute.

News Comments > Xbox One Announced
25. Re: Xbox One Announced May 21, 2013, 15:47 Ratty

RaZ0r! wrote on May 21, 2013, 15:10:
I quit buying consoles a long time ago. PC gamer for life.
Same here. But can't help feeling excited for what this may mean for PC games. Imagine the next Elder Scrolls with no loading zones!

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse May 21, 2013, 11:43 Ratty

eRe4s3r wrote on May 21, 2013, 11:27:
Looks like alternatives to Flickr need to be found.. I equally find it completely unusable. Flickr was about comments and discovery, now you are flattened with a huge chunk of photos with no context overview or usability flow.. terrible.
I know Flickr has been considered the MySpace of photo sharing sites for awhile but I still loved it. I've not found anything remotely as good. It had the right mix of social options and photos and I've developed a great circle of friends. I'll hate to see them drift off to different sites now but I know that's what will happen. I used to visit several times a day but I can barely make myself visit once in the morning now.

Every review I've seen so far has raved about it. Written by designers who've never actually used the site of course.

22. Re: Out of the Blue May 21, 2013, 11:19 Ratty

Creston wrote on May 21, 2013, 11:12:
Well, that was fun yesterday... Had a tornado touch down about ten miles away, and spent about an hour hiding in the closet from all the rotation going overhead
Wow. I would have definitely cried in that closet if it were me. Here's hoping the bad weather is past.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Alas Flickr, it's been fun May 21, 2013, 11:03 Ratty

Wow. Just wow. The Flickr redesign just sucks so hard. They've followed the Microsoft trend of making everything huge. Used to I could login and see all my friends latest photos on one screen of thumbnails. I could see at a glance which of their photos had comments and how many. Now everything is gigantic and you have to mouse over every single enormous image to see if it has comments.

I know people will always complain when there's a redesign, but this was clearly done by people who never actually used Flickr regularly. They made it all nicer looking and tablety and Windows 8-ey but practically wiped out all usability and functionality. My guess is they're more interested in attracting new users than anything else.

As a sometimes web designer this is actually a good lesson for me. Don't sacrifice form for functionality. If it's a question between usability and looking good, always choose the former. Find out how your visitors actually use your site and design for that. I sometimes forget all that and get too enamored with my own gorgeous designs.

30. Re: Out of the Blue May 17, 2013, 13:47 Ratty

I've had a couple of incidents where I suffered brief periods of impaired vision
Just all those years of masturbation catching up with you. You did know it caused blindness, right?

My fast food weakness is Taco Bell. Love it. Could eat it every day. Thank god there aren't any near me. I like it way better than authentic Mexican food. So sue me.

9. Re: Out of the Blue May 16, 2013, 12:47 Ratty

InBlack wrote on May 16, 2013, 09:56:
Bacon dogs....man....sometimes just sometimes I envy you americans
OK, I think I might just try these if I can find them before memorial day. Haven't had hotdogs in ages. When making hotdogs Oscar Mayer wouldn't exactly be my first choice, but what the hell. I'll let you know if they're any good.

News Comments > Op Ed
22. Re: Op Ed May 15, 2013, 13:16 Ratty

Verno wrote on May 15, 2013, 12:50:
I don't know, I find Metacritic super helpful for upcoming release dates and to have a central spot for things I missed.
That's what I use it for too. 0% useful for the reviews. I usually rely on people I know on boards like this who have the same taste in games and the same gripes as me in helping to decide whether to buy a game. But during the year I'll read about an interesting game in development on some site then forget about it forever. It's good to have one place where I can go, oh that's right. I remember being interested in that game a while back.

News Comments > Op Ed
18. Re: Op Ed May 15, 2013, 12:41 Ratty

And that means each of us must decide for ourselves how to define success. For me, that means achieving a kind of self-satisfaction - knowing my team accomplished the goals we set as effectively as we could, given circumstances
Publishers just LOVE that!

10. Re: Out of the Blue May 7, 2013, 12:49 Ratty

Oh you kids and your fancy graphics, vocalized dialog and regenerating health. Fact: Daggerfall >>> Skyrim > Morrowind > Oblivion > Arena.  

1151 Comments. 58 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo