Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ratty

Real Name Ratty   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ratty
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 11, 2005, 20:15
Total Comments 1148 (Pro)
User ID 22908

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Thief in February
21. Re: Thief in February Aug 16, 2013, 13:54 Ratty

Verno wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 10:14:
I'm a bit iffy on this, it seems like they made quite a few design decisions based around modern audiences who aren't as likely to buy this game at all. On the other hand if the game is even half as Thief as the older Thief games then it would still be a pretty great time. I just hope that the levels are genuinely built around stealth primarily and combat is an afterthought but that feels like a pipe dream these days
I'm not iffy in the least. Thief died when Looking Glass folded and I only wish they'd let it rest in peace instead of desecrating its grave with this abomination.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 15, 2013, 20:42 Ratty

I wonder if he was blinking SOS while he said all that.  

News Comments > Former Steam Honcho Joins Microsoft
1. Re: Former Steam Honcho Joins Microsoft Aug 14, 2013, 22:53 Ratty

Traitor  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
22. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2013, 14:33 Ratty

nin wrote on Aug 9, 2013, 14:23:
Amazon cloud player? I don't stream to my phone, but I use it here at work. $25 a year, and you can import up to 250,000 songs...
Oh, that's a great idea. I always prefer getting things through Amazon so I don't have to enter my credit card number on other sites I'm not familiar with. Plus they alreay know more about me than the NSA, who cares if they learn about my music tastes too. That really makes sense. Thanks nin! I'll check it out.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2013, 14:17 Ratty

Speaking of smartphones, I just got my first one after my cheapo phone caught fire in my pocket. It's a Nexus 4. I'm having an incredibly difficult time learning to use it, no doubt due to my advanced age compared to most of the always-connected generation.

Anyway, I'd like to listen to my IPod music with it so I don't have to carry around 2 devices. It has 8 GB of memory so I'm thinking there's probably some kind of cloud-based music app where I could upload all my mp3s and listen to whatever I want on my phone. I'd like something where I could download some of the songs so I could listen to them when there's no wifi and maybe when there's wifi I could stream them instead. Does such a service exist? What apps would people recommend? How much does the service cost?

51. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2013, 16:44 Ratty

jdreyer wrote on Aug 7, 2013, 14:20:
Ratty wrote on Aug 7, 2013, 10:37:

My ritual now is to sit in the coffee shop and read an actual paper newspaper and do the crossword before going in to work. I've learned my lesson and this is a ritual I appreciate everyday because I know it's going to go away someday too.

Well, the newspaper will go away, but probably not the coffee shop. If anything, they're expanding. Just be sure you're sitting in a non-franchise one. Support small business!
Yeah, it's a great little local franchise. The barista always draws a picture of a naked lady on my latte, puffy foam titties with chocolate nipples and all. I actually really like Starbucks coffee but the whole vibe of the place and too-friendly bubbly staff grates on my nerves so I haven't been in one in years. I'm resigned to the fact I'll be doing my crosswords in a tablet someday or printing them out before I leave my house in the morning. Just won't be the same.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2013, 10:37 Ratty

There was a B&N on my walk home from work and I'd stop in 3 or 4 times a week. At the time I felt kinda guilty about going to a big chain store instead of patronizing the excellent indies in my town, but B&N was just so damn NICE and I walked past it everyday. I loved that ritual and I was so crushed when they closed. Now I feel kinda guilty getting everything on Amazon instead of patronizing the struggling B&Ns. Funny how that works.

My ritual now is to sit in the coffee shop and read an actual paper newspaper and do the crossword before going in to work. I've learned my lesson and this is a ritual I appreciate everyday because I know it's going to go away someday too.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2013, 15:19 Ratty

Aw, now I feel guilty being mad there was no BN this morning.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 23, 2013, 13:08 Ratty

A couple years ago I succumbed to the temptation and got an XBox. I also got Borderlands and Oblivion but trying to aim and shoot on a console was too frustrating and I never played another game on it again. Then I just started using it for Netflix but discovered they NEVER stream anything I want to see so it's just been gathering dust and hogging an HDMI connection because I still haven't given up all hope.

I'll pass on either console this time around. Still excited what the additional memory will do for PC games in a few years though.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 19, 2013, 11:39 Ratty

nin wrote on Jul 19, 2013, 10:11:
Schoep just had a birthday, I want to say his 20th. His sudden departure really brought me down yesterday.

He was so cute...

The incredible thing about that picture was the look on Schoep's face. So peaceful and content. It's amazing a dog's face can convey so much.

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale Begins
71. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 11, 2013, 21:28 Ratty

Prez wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 19:13:
Wow - talk about bad timing! I think I was just fired from my job this evening.
That's terrible. I'm so sorry to hear it. I've had the same job, lived in the same city for decades so losing my job would be just about the worst thing I can think of. An evening drinking binge is definitely in order. I happen to have my glass of Franzia right here so bottoms up and here's to you! Salud and good luck my friend.

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: etc., etc. Jul 11, 2013, 21:21 Ratty

What an intriguing idea for a game. The first thing that comes to mind is when jumping back and forth between times you might see the results of your actions in the past. Play a level in the past, jump forward and see a completely different world than the last time you visited.  

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale Begins
15. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 11, 2013, 14:14 Ratty

So wait, Bioshock Infinite is already 75% off? Since it didn't seem to be quite my cup of tea I've held off to get it on sale but thought maybe a year after release or so. Oh, I just checked. 50% off. Hmmm, $29.99 ... do I knuckle under and get it or wait? Think I might get it for less on a daily deal?  

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2013, 11:23 Ratty

Verno wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 11:14:
Haha dude, whatever you do please do not look up anything related to Dan Simmons personal views. He is one of those authors that went absolutely nuts after 9/11 and feels the need to express really weird/crazy personal opinions in public. His political views would make RollingThundr raise an eyebrow. Just enjoy his work and pretend I never said anything He's a damned fine writer, just a terrible person too apparently.

I'm like Prez, I tend to enjoy their work regardless of how messed up they are so it doesn't really faze me, I just sort of observe the craziness with amusement.

Well, as I said a certain line has to be crossed. I can ignore a lot of personal foibles and political views that don't agree with mine. Goodkind crossed it by putting them into his books. Card went way way way over that line a long time ago.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2013, 11:12 Ratty

Verno wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 10:06:
Orson Scott Card just never knows when to shut his big mouth. It reminds me of Dan Simmons whose work I love but his beliefs are batshit insane.
Oh no, not Dan Simmons! Do I dare look him up on Wikipedia? Have you ruined him for me Verno? I can't always separate the art from the artist so when a certain line is crossed their art is dead to me. I'd enjoyed Terry Goodkind too, but when he started putting his extreme political views into his novels I gave up on him.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
4. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 10, 2013, 10:47 Ratty

I love when the Linux crowd gets all offended by the use of hacker vs. cracker. Sorry, nobody but nobody is going to refer to you guys as crackers. That's right up there with Trekkies vs. Trekkers. As Dr. Hibbert said "...and hillbillies want to be called Sons of the Soil, but it ain't gonna happen."  

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
8. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jul 6, 2013, 12:27 Ratty

Yeah, I don't have a problem with AdBlock and Google. The ads are nonintrusive and Google has to make a living. AdBlock are not sellouts here. I started using AdBlock when the animated crap got too widespread to bear. Nothing I hate more than something jerking and twitching and moving off to the side, distracting me from what I'm trying to read. Same reason I have Flashblock. Occasionally I have to use IE, which I have no addons for, and am stunned at how unusable the raw web really is. Haven't had java turned on for YEARS and have never once missed it.

I have no problem with banners, non-moving ads off to one side, even interstital ads. Websites have to make a living you know.

5. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jun 27, 2013, 19:44 Ratty

Tom wrote on Jun 27, 2013, 18:10:
Is encrypting my email any good at defeating the NSA survelielance? Id my data protected by standard encryption?

Answer:

Encryption works. Properly implemented strong crypto systems are one of the few things that you can rely on. Unfortunately, endpoint security is so terrifically weak that NSA can frequently find ways around it.
Hey thanks. I didn't know about that quote.

1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jun 27, 2013, 10:43 Ratty

I've always suspected the govt has had a quantum computer for a number for years and can easily crack any common encryption. I'm wondering if some of those unreleased Snowden documents might reveal that.  

News Comments > Steam Game Sharing Planned?
36. Re: Steam Game Sharing Planned? Jun 19, 2013, 14:08 Ratty

Pigeon wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 11:01:
Sounds comparable to a demo
Just what I was thinking since demos seem to have died out in the last few years. Though I always suspected it was so publishers could over-hype games without users finding out via demo what a load of bullshit it all turned out to be. I'm sure the sharing option would be subject to publisher approval. Yeah, I'd pay a couple of bucks to participate in something like that, especially since it would be so easy and transparent on Steam.

1148 Comments. 58 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo