Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ratty

Real Name Ratty   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ratty
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 11, 2005, 20:15
Total Comments 1153 (Pro)
User ID 22908

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Into the Black
5. Re: Into the Black Dec 10, 2014, 11:09 Ratty

Geez, I am soooo tempted. I'd spend the bucks except I think a man of my age would look stupid in it.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 9, 2014, 12:43 Ratty

I read that as Blue was shopping for baklava. Then I come to the comments and I'm like what the hell ...? Nose holes? Snotty mess?  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 19, 2014, 10:22 Ratty

InBlack wrote on Nov 19, 2014, 09:37:
What model is the replacement? Hopefuly your mechanic is an honest guy (well honest 'enough') and your replacement doesnt end up in the shop too often. Sorry to be so pessimistic, Ive never had anyhing but horrible luck with mechanics and used cars, mileage may vary on these things

Blue wrote on Nov 19, 2014, 09:50:
I thought I made it clear that the car didn't actually die, but had hit the point where the potential repair cost was impractical.
Yeah! Listen to him next time moron!

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
16. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 14, 2014, 11:23 Ratty

Beamer wrote on Nov 13, 2014, 23:33:
Uh.
She's nominated for the John Campbell. That counts as acclaim. That's the very technical definition of acclaim.

Prior John Campbell winners and nominees:
George RR Martin, Orson Scott Card, Carl Sagan, Cory Doctorow, Lev Grossman, Brad R. Torgersen, etc.
It isn't a little honor. It's a fairly big one in the world of sci fi literature.
Nominee for Best New Writer (along with 4 or 5 others), not for best SF novel. Nominee only, didn't win. I wouldn't really call that "acclaimed", just a cut above the usual Star Wars and Star Trek pulp novels they churn out. This seems like a tiny little internet tempest in a teapot of Great Importance to certain people but meaningless to the vast majority of SF fans. Is it an issue only because the participants are "underrepresented writers?"

I saw the "acclaimed writer" part in the headline and only checked out the article to see what assholery Orson Scott Card was up to now. I was disappointed.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
25. Re: Tim Cook: Oct 30, 2014, 16:07 Ratty

NKD wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 15:16:
Prez wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 15:03:
I get the symbolic nature of what he is doing but I wonder if there is more harm than good in doing it this way.

I think it's a process. When something has been treated like a dirty secret by so many people for so long, there's benefit in voluntarily and publicly stripping that secrecy away.
Yup, you hear it time and again: "I don't care of they're gay I just wish they'd keep it to themselves." As if it's something that decent people shouldn't ever speak of. Some dark, evil, personal secret nobody must know about. And that's the way it's universally been until just 20 or so years ago. Sure, nobody wants to hear about what anybody, gay or straight, does in the bedroom, but if a man mentions his husband is that flaunting it? If a guy even dares mention his boyfriend does that mean he's forcing other people to know what he does in bed any more than if a guy mentions his girlfriend (or similar to what somebody here so eloquently put it, mentioning his girlfriend must automatically advertise that he's into pussy and nobody needs to hear that).

The only way to get it into peoples' heads that being gay isn't a deep dark terrible secret is to mention it from time to time. To my knowledge Tim Cook hasn't written books or articles on the subject. He hasn't gone on the gay lecture circuit. So really, people can't cut him a break this ONE time? This SINGLE story pollutes your serene Blues News experience so much that it makes you enraged enough to comment? (not talking about you NKD, I just want to quote your apt comment)

10. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 22, 2014, 11:05 Ratty

Julio wrote on Oct 22, 2014, 05:23:
Only if it's all completely commercial free. Otherwise what's the point?
Exactly. I never bother with Comcast's VOD stuff, even the free stuff anymore because you can't fast forward through the ads. Same with Hulu. If I want to watch past TV shows I stream from Netflix, even if they're a season or three behind.

I'm pretty much betting the cable companies will disable fast forwarding through ads even on their DVRs sometime soon. They'd either pretty much all have to agree to do it at the same time or Comcast will have put everyone else out of business and there'll be no other company to go to in protest.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 14, 2014, 12:31 Ratty

Didn't Edward Snowden save his worst scorn for Dropbox just a couple of days ago?  

9. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 3, 2014, 15:33 Ratty

Alamar wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 14:10:
I buy like one thing every 5 years on amazon, so that won't be much help, but I'll try to remember to click the link first, in a few years ; )
I think Blue is *making* me buy more stuff on Amazon. Curse you Blue! Now I'm off to by a TB hard drive I probably don't need.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
1. Re: Jimmy Kimmel Oct 2, 2014, 11:07 Ratty

OK, I have a question I've been wondering about every time I see an article like this. What exactly is the malware vector these sites are using? Is it a hidden iframe, cross-domain type thing where they can steal your credentials and you don't do anything besides visit the site? Is it an IE exploit that uses ActiveX to install a trojan? Or do they use your IP address to probe your machine for vulnerabilities outside of any browser application?

Or is it something stupid like a dialog that pops up and tells you to install a plugin in order to see the nudies or a warning that pops up and says that the internet has detected your computer is infected and you should click here to clean it.

I guess my question is, can a normal person like me get infected just by visiting a site or are they only talking about morons?

15. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 18, 2014, 12:39 Ratty

I just did my Amazon order for about 60 bucks. I bought a couple of books and a couple of Thai sauces, chili paste, and dried peppers. Did you see these Blue? I had a couple of things in my cart from earlier and I was too lazy to remove them and add them again after I went there from here. A lot of the stuff was from 3rd party vendors. Do they count? Also i wonder if I have to change any cookie preferences, like, do I have to start accepting third-party cookies?

This is the first time I've ordered from Amazon since your program and I just want to make sure I do it right.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 18, 2014, 11:56 Ratty

Movie tropes. Didn't watch it all but saw the asteroid belt trope which is my number 2 pet sci-fi peeve. And they ALL do it. I've never seen a movie or series that didn't depict asteroid belts as thick and crowded.

My number one peeve is the lights inside spacesuit helmets that illuminate the astronaut's faces. They all do that too - even 2001 IIRC. Like driving a car at night with the inside lights on.

PC Gaming > Post your FPS config - old school
8. No subject Sep 17, 2014, 11:23 Ratty

I buck the trend. I never did like WASD and never tried to use it. But then I don't play Call of Duty and it's clones, fighting games, or other fast-paced multiplayer games where I suspect this would be a terrible configuration with strafing so inconvenient:

Forward: LShift or up arrow
Backward Z or down arrow
Strafe Left: left arrow
Strafe Right: right arrow
Jump: A
Crouch: C
Interact: Space bar

If I'm strafing or turning a corner slowly to see if anyone is there I have to change my hand position to use the arrow keys for movement. For games that don't let you map more than one key to an action (like more and more games - thanks to consolitis) I use Auto Hotkey to do it - a real lifesaver for me.

It's a less convenient configuration for lots of strafing cause then I have to move my left hand to the other side of the keyboard. But I don't do that very often in the types of games I play and I've played this way for so many years it's second nature for me to do that anyway. If I'm moving forward (using the mouse to turn right or left) I generally use both my index finger and middle finger together on the LShift key. It's a very relaxed hand position with the rest of my hand resting on my desk. And moving this way is 90% of what you do in games anyway. If I want to crouch, jump, or interact, I move my middle or 4th finger onto LShift and use my index finger to hit C, A, or spacebar.

I never use my pinky for anything.

This comment was edited on Sep 17, 2014, 11:45.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
2. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Sep 15, 2014, 11:37 Ratty

Day one purchase. Day two: that grab some boobs game.  

23. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2014, 12:36 Ratty

Creston wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 12:03:
Ratty wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 11:50:
PHJF wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 11:34:
Cooking from scratch can actually get stupid expensive. I've made relatively simple dishes that easily end up with a food cost rivaling the price of a meal at a restaurant. I use a simple salsa recipe (roma tomato, green onion, garlic, salt, lime juice, cilantro, hot sauce) that costs significantly more than simply buying a jar of Pace.
Amen. There's a lot of things I just don't cook anymore. I have a kickass recipe for the perfect chewy chocolate brownies. But Ghiradelli's brownie mix in the store can usually be had at $1.99 a box or less on sale and they're just as good to me and about one fifth as expensive. If store-bought is cheaper and tastes almost as good that's what I get. I save my cooking for things that really do taste much better homemade.

The argument isn't about taste, it's about whether it's healthy. Your home made brownies are probably a lot less unhealthy than the box of Girardelli. Same for homemade salsa vs a jar of Pace.
The argument is about taste. I do occasionally cook things that are healthier than store bought but that is the exception. Verno mentioned sodium which is a health issue for me but I have a low tolerance for a lot salt in food and it doesn't taste as good to me, so that again is ultimately a taste issue. I cannot imagine why you'd think homemade brownies were healthier than boxed.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2014, 11:50 Ratty

PHJF wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 11:34:
Cooking from scratch can actually get stupid expensive. I've made relatively simple dishes that easily end up with a food cost rivaling the price of a meal at a restaurant. I use a simple salsa recipe (roma tomato, green onion, garlic, salt, lime juice, cilantro, hot sauce) that costs significantly more than simply buying a jar of Pace.
Amen. There's a lot of things I just don't cook anymore. I have a kickass recipe for the perfect chewy chocolate brownies. But Ghiradelli's brownie mix in the store can usually be had at $1.99 a box or less on sale and they're just as good to me and about one fifth as expensive. If store-bought is cheaper and tastes almost as good that's what I get. I save my cooking for things that really do taste much better homemade.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 22, 2014, 13:23 Ratty

You can count me in too. I always save up my purchases until I have enough for free shipping. So if I visit a link and then keep shopping for other stuff you'll get a cut? That's be sweet. Let us know in a couple of months how it's going.

On edit: Now if I cancelled all my orders I have saved up now, then visited a link from here and got them all over again, would that be cheating?

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: The 10 Worst Wiring Jobs Aug 20, 2014, 11:52 Ratty

I remember I built a laser in my electronics course for a project. This was before lasers were as common-place as they are now and you either spent hundreds of dollars or built your own. So I got a tube and built a power supply in a large metal case. One of the worst wiring and soldering jobs you have ever seen in your life. When I brought it to the teacher he had one look inside and told me he was afraid to even touch it. The metal case wasn't even grounded. Back then lasers required very high voltages and the case I built could kill.

I got an A on the project - go figure. I actually still have it down in the basement but yes, I am very afraid to ever turn it on again. And I'm still a lousy solderer.

7. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 19, 2014, 13:58 Ratty

Beamer wrote on Aug 19, 2014, 12:44:
No, but it means that a significant amount of Americans are fine saying extremely racist things
I still don't agree that using internet comments as any kind of gauge of anything at all is useful in any way. So maybe you're right about the "significant amount" but you're never going to find out by using internet comments as any kind of measure. And really how often is "often" that they use a true, verified name? I have a Facebook account, haven't used it in years, but the name there certainly isn't my own. My impression is that 90% of readers on a Yahoo news story leave no comment at all. Maybe 40-50% of the rest will post something supportive or relevant. The rest will post something angry or hateful. All I think this means is those last ones post constantly, on many different stories, sometimes many posts on the same story. Something in their angry nature makes them feel they can't keep silent on a subject which enrage them, or they just get a kick out of posting stuff to get a rise out of people. Something like the Cheerios story will attract that small angry minority because the story has become so notable.

So yes, I downplay the significance of internet comments. Doesn't mean I downplay the significance of racism in our society.

On an almost total tangent: last week there was a letter in Dear Abby. A woman had a loving husband, great provider, honest, trustworthy in every way, a man she loved dearly. One day he left his computer on and she discovered he had a habit of leaving the most vile, hateful comments - almost invariably sexist in nature - on a number of comment sites on a regular, daily basis. When she confronted him with it he claimed it was how he liked to "unwind" and it was no big deal and told her he wouldn't stop.

I'm not saying internet trolls are in every way upstanding loving citizens just looking to unwind like this man apparently was. I'm betting most of them are as angry as their comments are. I was just reminded of it by our conversation.

5. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 19, 2014, 12:39 Ratty

Saying all of American ignorance is due to trolls, just because it's online
Where on Earth do you get that I'm saying that? What I'm saying is you cannot judge American ignorance at all by internet comments. That's where I guess we disagree. And why on Earth would I ever bother to read a Yahoo news comment? Those are legendary in their uselessness and offensiveness. Not just racism but sexism, homophobia, xenophobia, disrespect for the dead (have you read any Robin Williams comments lately?), extreme hatred of liberals/conservatives - really whatever it takes to offend. Sorry, I don't consider that a symptom of racism. I'm not denying racism exists, I'm certainly not denying it's still a large problem that needs to be addressed. I'm saying you can't judge how bad it is by internet comments. If 80% of the comment on a youtube news story are racist that doesn't mean 80% of the country is racist.

3. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 19, 2014, 12:08 Ratty

What cracks me up about trolls is how so many people engage them. There was that story a few months back about a Cheerio's commercial featuring a biracial couple. There was this huge hoopla about all the racism surrounding its reception and grave commentary about how our country still hasn't moved beyond its racist past and then Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton weighed in and I finally started to pay attention and it turned out it all started because of comments on Youtube and Facebook! It's the fucking internet people! Have none of them ever visited youtube? Trolls are just part of the whole internet experience. And there seems to be so many of them because they have no lives and no friends and have nothing to do all day but post endlessly in website comments. I don't even think most of the cheerios trolls were even particularly racist. They just say whatever will get a rise out of people and draw attention to themselves.

I wouldn't pay a cent for websites without trolls. What I'd love to get rid of are the pages and pages of responses from regular people that render many comment sections useless.

1153 Comments. 58 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo