Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ratty

Real Name Ratty   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ratty
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 11, 2005, 20:15
Total Comments 1138 (Pro)
User ID 22908

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 22, 2014, 13:23 Ratty

You can count me in too. I always save up my purchases until I have enough for free shipping. So if I visit a link and then keep shopping for other stuff you'll get a cut? That's be sweet. Let us know in a couple of months how it's going.

On edit: Now if I cancelled all my orders I have saved up now, then visited a link from here and got them all over again, would that be cheating?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: The 10 Worst Wiring Jobs Aug 20, 2014, 11:52 Ratty

I remember I built a laser in my electronics course for a project. This was before lasers were as common-place as they are now and you either spent hundreds of dollars or built your own. So I got a tube and built a power supply in a large metal case. One of the worst wiring and soldering jobs you have ever seen in your life. When I brought it to the teacher he had one look inside and told me he was afraid to even touch it. The metal case wasn't even grounded. Back then lasers required very high voltages and the case I built could kill.

I got an A on the project - go figure. I actually still have it down in the basement but yes, I am very afraid to ever turn it on again. And I'm still a lousy solderer.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
7. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 19, 2014, 13:58 Ratty

Beamer wrote on Aug 19, 2014, 12:44:
No, but it means that a significant amount of Americans are fine saying extremely racist things
I still don't agree that using internet comments as any kind of gauge of anything at all is useful in any way. So maybe you're right about the "significant amount" but you're never going to find out by using internet comments as any kind of measure. And really how often is "often" that they use a true, verified name? I have a Facebook account, haven't used it in years, but the name there certainly isn't my own. My impression is that 90% of readers on a Yahoo news story leave no comment at all. Maybe 40-50% of the rest will post something supportive or relevant. The rest will post something angry or hateful. All I think this means is those last ones post constantly, on many different stories, sometimes many posts on the same story. Something in their angry nature makes them feel they can't keep silent on a subject which enrage them, or they just get a kick out of posting stuff to get a rise out of people. Something like the Cheerios story will attract that small angry minority because the story has become so notable.

So yes, I downplay the significance of internet comments. Doesn't mean I downplay the significance of racism in our society.

On an almost total tangent: last week there was a letter in Dear Abby. A woman had a loving husband, great provider, honest, trustworthy in every way, a man she loved dearly. One day he left his computer on and she discovered he had a habit of leaving the most vile, hateful comments - almost invariably sexist in nature - on a number of comment sites on a regular, daily basis. When she confronted him with it he claimed it was how he liked to "unwind" and it was no big deal and told her he wouldn't stop.

I'm not saying internet trolls are in every way upstanding loving citizens just looking to unwind like this man apparently was. I'm betting most of them are as angry as their comments are. I was just reminded of it by our conversation.

5. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 19, 2014, 12:39 Ratty

Saying all of American ignorance is due to trolls, just because it's online
Where on Earth do you get that I'm saying that? What I'm saying is you cannot judge American ignorance at all by internet comments. That's where I guess we disagree. And why on Earth would I ever bother to read a Yahoo news comment? Those are legendary in their uselessness and offensiveness. Not just racism but sexism, homophobia, xenophobia, disrespect for the dead (have you read any Robin Williams comments lately?), extreme hatred of liberals/conservatives - really whatever it takes to offend. Sorry, I don't consider that a symptom of racism. I'm not denying racism exists, I'm certainly not denying it's still a large problem that needs to be addressed. I'm saying you can't judge how bad it is by internet comments. If 80% of the comment on a youtube news story are racist that doesn't mean 80% of the country is racist.

3. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 19, 2014, 12:08 Ratty

What cracks me up about trolls is how so many people engage them. There was that story a few months back about a Cheerio's commercial featuring a biracial couple. There was this huge hoopla about all the racism surrounding its reception and grave commentary about how our country still hasn't moved beyond its racist past and then Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton weighed in and I finally started to pay attention and it turned out it all started because of comments on Youtube and Facebook! It's the fucking internet people! Have none of them ever visited youtube? Trolls are just part of the whole internet experience. And there seems to be so many of them because they have no lives and no friends and have nothing to do all day but post endlessly in website comments. I don't even think most of the cheerios trolls were even particularly racist. They just say whatever will get a rise out of people and draw attention to themselves.

I wouldn't pay a cent for websites without trolls. What I'd love to get rid of are the pages and pages of responses from regular people that render many comment sections useless.

News Comments > John Carmack's Son's Game
20. Re: John Carmack's Son's Game Aug 19, 2014, 11:52 Ratty

Obligatory jokes about angry faces popping out of closets into pitch black areas where you have to keep dancing for your flashlight to work ... Seriously though, it sounds like this is one very lucky kid, getting to grow up with a father like Carmack.

Love the "grandma mode."

3. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 14, 2014, 11:01 Ratty

InBlack wrote on Aug 14, 2014, 09:50:
I dunno. Im not really sure about the beard. He looks better without it IMO. Do Jedi masters really have to sport beards??
I love the beard, and I love the look. He really pulls off the respected elder Jedi look in that shot. I'm actually looking forward to seeing him in the movie.

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: Dungeon Keeper Aug 14, 2014, 10:59 Ratty

Aw, has it really been 17 years? I just replayed the original about a month ago and it remains one of my top 3 favorite games of all time.

I would hope somebody would do a decent remake someday but I know that would be delusional. Some games (e.g. Thief) are better left to rest in peace.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2014, 10:48 Ratty

Vacation, fine. Canoe racing? Are you kidding me? I'm going to miss my daily Blue for canoe racing?  

News Comments > Falling Skies: The Game Trailer
10. Re: Falling Skies: The Game Trailer Jul 29, 2014, 17:22 Ratty

I've actually rather been enjoying Extant. I've only watched the first two episodes though. I think of all the new shows this season it's my favorite. Only seen the first show of The Strain and I'm disappointed. Why is it hack writers have to always include some fake contrived family dysfunction in their shows. The father is estranged from his wife but still loves his son! Or the father is divorced and loves his kids but they hate him (ala Tom Cruise, War of the Worlds). It's like they have absolutely no idea how to make a believable 3 dimensional interesting character without resorting to the same old fake personal conflict in 50 other shows and movies.

This comment was edited on Jul 29, 2014, 17:29.

News Comments > Falling Skies: The Game Trailer
6. Re: Falling Skies: The Game Trailer Jul 29, 2014, 11:27 Ratty

Same here. I don't know why I still watch it. It's just so mediocre.  

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
2. Re: Software design trends Jul 14, 2014, 12:03 Ratty

The only one on the list that I despise with a passion is "A dearth of density". Icons, labels, buttons on applications, websites - even the Windows desktop - have gotten so damn huge. I guess everyone is jumping on the tablet/smartphone bandwagon and plain old PCs are just so last decade. I have normal eyesite. I have an attention span measured in minutes, not seconds. I can work on two things at once. I am also a content producer, not just a consumer. Let me see more than 4 things on the screen at once.

On edit: I just saw this comment at the bottom of the article:

And higher information density comes at the expense of lower legibility and comprehension.

Come on ARS, this is Graphic Design 101 stuff...

That's the problem right there. These things are designed by graphic artists - people who don't actually use the applications they are designing for - at least not on a regular basis.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 11, 2014, 10:35 Ratty

Let's see, I got all of them up to number 11: "Three logicians walk into a bar". Still don't get that one. The Batman one gave me a laugh because it took me a while - those are always the best. I wouldn't have gotten the theremin one without the picture, but I got all the rest. Good find Cutter!  

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 26, 2014, 11:13 Ratty

There's nothing the doctor can do for you anymore. You're too old Blue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey4WSb-BVDQ

News Comments > Minecraft Passes 50M Units Sold
21. Re: Minecraft Passes 50M Units Sold Jun 26, 2014, 11:08 Ratty

I think it's weird he says he'll never ever put Minecraft on Steam because Steam takes 30% of the sale and because Steam "creeps him out." But he deals with Microsoft and Sony who take a percentage and apparently they don't creep him out.

Weird. Why does he hate Steam so much?

News Comments > Areal: Spiritual Successor to S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
22. Re: Areal: Spiritual Successor to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Jun 25, 2014, 13:40 Ratty

I love open world games, sandbox games and the like but I could just never get into Stalker. I know people who like the same kinds of games I do love Stalker but I don't know what it is about it. I bought it and played it for two or three days but just stopped playing it. I didn't decide to stop, I just kept putting it off to play other things and never got back to it. I had to decide I just didn't like it.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
19. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 9, 2014, 11:50 Ratty

Dagnamit wrote on Jun 9, 2014, 10:02:
Look guilty? He IS guilty. He broke the law. He's not a "traitor", but he's definitely a coward.
Wow. No matter what you think of Snowden - and I don't particularly care for him on a personal level - the one thing you can't call him is a coward. You really think making a decision which would change his life forever, leaving everyone he knew and loved behind, and turning him into a fugitive from the most powerful nation on Earth is something a coward would do? What do you suppose a true coward would do if they worked for the NSA and witnessed something they believed to be illegal and harmful to the US? A coward would keep his mouth shut and his head down and either go with the flow or find a different job. I have some unpleasant adjectives to describe Snowden but coward is most certainly not one othem.

News Comments > Painkiller Hell & Damnation Demo
4. Re: Painkiller Hell & Damnation Demo Jun 5, 2014, 15:18 Ratty

Slick wrote on Jun 5, 2014, 10:53:
1 line review: not bad, but play the original, still unopposed as best "classic" singleplayer FPS of all time.
You are absolutely right! The best bar none. It is the perfect game in my opinion. Still flawless.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 4, 2014, 10:24 Ratty

Ack! Must avoid GoT spoilers. I'm almost caught up. Just 4 more shows on my DVR to go. I had a whole season and a half unwatched and have been having a marathon. I saw the Red Wedding Sunday night. I'd heard so much about it and thought it would be super disgusting, gory, or disturbing, but I did not expect THAT. Now I've been hearing about the duel with The Mountain and what an awesome scene it is and I have no idea whatsoever what will happen.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
23. Re: Sergey Brin says he's 'kind of a weirdo' and shouldn't have worked on Google+. May 30, 2014, 12:20 Ratty

Verno wrote on May 30, 2014, 09:47:
Agreed. I fucking loathe Google+. I used to have one google account, now somehow I have 3 different youtube "identities" and its constantly badgering me about which one to use. They also made a google+ profile apparently without my fucking permission. Opt-out social network? Get fucked! Google needs to hire some non-engineers.
I hate it hate it hate it. Same thing happened with my Youtube. To make it worse my school moved from its own mail service to gmail about a year ago so now I have even more than 3 google personalities I have to manage. I've had to separate my surfing into 3 separate browsers. If I want to read work mail I have to use IE. If I want to check out my youtube subscriptions I have to use Firefox. If I want to search google or access google voice that has to be done on Chrome. I do this so I'm not constantly having to log in and log out and remember the different passwords depending on what I want to access. And youtube STILL fucking nags me to choose which account I want to use every time I open it. It constantly wants to sign me in by my real name since that's my work gmail login. How can I troll youtube if it prints my real name???

1138 Comments. 57 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo