Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ratty

Real Name Ratty   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ratty
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 11, 2005, 20:15
Total Comments 1165 (Pro)
User ID 22908

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Bethesda.net Launches
1. Re: Bethesda.net Launches Jul 23, 2015, 18:56 Ratty

I haven't checked it out but I almost never go to links on Bethesda's site, like to view videos or read blogs, because I'm too lazy to enter Jan 1 1951 or whatever year for the age check every single time. I have to wonder, if someone ever kept track, how many people that visit there were born on New Year's.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
7. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 15, 2015, 14:39 Ratty

Verno wrote on Jun 15, 2015, 14:24:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 15, 2015, 13:53:
I think making people pay and still forcing ads is probably the biggest reason, especially since the competition does not. If you're going to force ads on the pay option, have one short ad at the start and that's it. I agree that the limitation you mention is just stupid as well.

Agreed. A lot of people are just used to an ad free experience on Netflix now and good luck getting them to go back. If I'm paying a premium then I want an ad free tier, no silly device restrictions and other nonsense too. Hulu+ was stupid, I could watch some stuff from a PC and other stuff on a tablet but not on other devices. I found it a bizarre experience overall, I kept hoping the cable networks would sell it but they changed their mind at the last minute.
Or just used to an "ad-free" service on their Cable DVR. That is, I can fast forward through them anytime I want, no restrictions. It's the sole thing that keeps me from cutting the cable, even as much as I hate Comcast and pay through the nose. Not interested in sports packages and my local HDTV reception is great, plus I have netflix. But I've become too addicted to fast forwarding and there are a couple of shows I'm just not willing to wait until they show up on netflix.

Comcast sometime ago stopped letting you fast forward through ads on most of their free on-demand shows and so I stopped ever using their on-demand and just made sure I recorded them the first time around on my DVR (which is perpetually 95% full). I'm waiting for them to phase in restricted fast forwarding on regular DVR recordings too - you know they're gonna try it at some point, especially with shows on networks they own.

News Comments > On Sale
11. Re: On Sale Apr 27, 2015, 12:17 Ratty

Jerykk wrote on Apr 26, 2015, 22:09:
jacobvandy wrote on Apr 26, 2015, 21:12:
Jivaro wrote on Apr 26, 2015, 18:57:
That said, some of my friends that played and liked Dishonored also liked this new Thief game. I have not played Dishonored yet (I know, the shame) but I assume it has something to do with the similar "focus" gameplay mechanic where you can slow down time to execute skills and moves with precision.

That tells you all you need to know. Dishonored is built around the protagonist exhibiting rare, magical abilities, but Thief? It's supposed to be more grounded than that.

Nonsense. All of the Thief games have had magical elements, whether it be zombies, skeletons, ghosts, beasts, elementals, mages, giant spiders, steampunk robots or magic potions that turn you invisible or let you fall in slow-motion. And again, the new Thief can be completed without ever using Focus mode. In fact, if you look at the enemies you face, the new Thief is more grounded than any of the previous games.
Lots of disagreement among the die-hard Thief fans. Thief 2 had a better engine and graphics (16-bit vs 8-bit) and far less focus on monsters and undead. I thi9nk if you took a poll you'd find Thief 2 is the favorite. Me, I loved the original Dark Project way more. I loved the undead and burricks and monsters and really missed them in Thief 2. The Haunted Cathedral is my all-time favorite Thief level, just dripping with atmosphere. Thief 2 had forced stealth levels, which I hate. Plus a more modern, officy setting.

1. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 14, 2015, 11:01 Ratty

Creeps me out whenever I search for things in Google and then a couple days later I'll go to Amazon and see those things on my front page. I'll tolerate it because I've already let both Google and Amazon know everything about me but it still creeps me out.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
6. Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 7, 2015, 12:58 Ratty

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 7, 2015, 12:26:
What about the illegal surveillance of EVERYONE ELSE ON THE PLANET?
See I don't have a problem with that and I wouldn't call it illegal. Countries have spies. They have spy organizations. They spy on other countries. That's what they do. I'm glad the US does it. We crossed a line sometime back and started spying on our own citizens and yes I have a big problem with that. The Stasi is a good cautionary tale and Snowden did a great public service by revealing how far down that path we've gone but no, we're still a long way from Stasi 2.0.

2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 7, 2015, 11:19 Ratty

Jivaro wrote on Apr 7, 2015, 11:04:
Noble intentions do not negate possible consequences.
Totally agree. He did something that needed doing but released way more than was necessary. I don't admire Snowden but neither do I revile him. What he did took guts but I wished he would have stuck to releasing things related to the illegal surveillance of US citizens and an out of control security state.

News Comments > Newell on Half-Life
20. Re: Newell on Half-Life Mar 18, 2015, 10:47 Ratty

Without Half-Life 2 Steam would never have gotten off the ground. The entire reason Steam is so successful today is that it was required to play Half-Life 2. I'm wondering whether they're using Half-Life 3 to leverage some other product. Steam machine required? Valve VR Headset required?

I'm thinking Valve thinks of Half-Life 3 as a carrot way to valuable to waste as a mere game.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
8. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 2, 2015, 13:43 Ratty

I've had two SSDs fail in about 3 years. A major pain in the ass because I was NOT backing up regularly. I want to go with some kind of RAID configuration in the future. SSD for speed plus a shadow drive for automatic backups.  

News Comments > Fallout 4 Announcement at E3?
25. Re: Fallout 4 Announcement at E3? Mar 2, 2015, 13:35 Ratty

nin wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 10:00:
But will it have a new engine (please???)?

Other than that, excited!
I think that depends on whether it will be exclusive to the new generation of consoles or be backward compatible. Let's hope it's XBone/PS4/PC only. That would be awesome news to PC gamers and deserving of a new engine. No more loading zones? I can only dream.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2015, 12:13 Ratty

Blue wrote on Feb 27, 2015, 09:47:
harlock wrote on Feb 27, 2015, 09:33:
is it true that colorblind people have better nightvision?

I don't know the science, but my personal experience suggests this is true. I have excellent night vision, and have had MrsBlue remark while driving at night that she couldn't understand how I could see where we were going amid oncoming headlights and such.
Blue, you just need to get a pair of these:

Lab In Berkeley Accidentally Discovers Solution To Fix Color Blindness

You'll probably sacrifice some of that awesome night vision but at least you'll see the pinecones.

28. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 8, 2015, 17:12 Ratty

jdreyer wrote on Jan 8, 2015, 16:04:
Note that the vast majority of terrorists come from the middle east, while the most populous Islamic nation, Indonesia, produces relatively few.
That's a good point I've never heard made. I've always felt it wasn't Islam that bred these bastards but the backward, oppressive, medieval culture they're rotting in over there. I don't think religion is the root cause of all this violence, it's just been the excuse: Ayatollahs and Imams who want to hold onto power, and men who enjoy keeping their women subservient.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
13. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 6, 2015, 15:06 Ratty

Axis wrote on Jan 6, 2015, 14:46:
(I won't bore you with the many links, you'd dismiss them anyway).
I wouldn't mind seeing some of those links either - even if they're WorldNetDaily or Fox News.

News Comments > Into the Black
5. Re: Into the Black Dec 10, 2014, 11:09 Ratty

Geez, I am soooo tempted. I'd spend the bucks except I think a man of my age would look stupid in it.  

7. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 9, 2014, 12:43 Ratty

I read that as Blue was shopping for baklava. Then I come to the comments and I'm like what the hell ...? Nose holes? Snotty mess?  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 19, 2014, 10:22 Ratty

InBlack wrote on Nov 19, 2014, 09:37:
What model is the replacement? Hopefuly your mechanic is an honest guy (well honest 'enough') and your replacement doesnt end up in the shop too often. Sorry to be so pessimistic, Ive never had anyhing but horrible luck with mechanics and used cars, mileage may vary on these things

Blue wrote on Nov 19, 2014, 09:50:
I thought I made it clear that the car didn't actually die, but had hit the point where the potential repair cost was impractical.
Yeah! Listen to him next time moron!

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
16. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 14, 2014, 11:23 Ratty

Beamer wrote on Nov 13, 2014, 23:33:
Uh.
She's nominated for the John Campbell. That counts as acclaim. That's the very technical definition of acclaim.

Prior John Campbell winners and nominees:
George RR Martin, Orson Scott Card, Carl Sagan, Cory Doctorow, Lev Grossman, Brad R. Torgersen, etc.
It isn't a little honor. It's a fairly big one in the world of sci fi literature.
Nominee for Best New Writer (along with 4 or 5 others), not for best SF novel. Nominee only, didn't win. I wouldn't really call that "acclaimed", just a cut above the usual Star Wars and Star Trek pulp novels they churn out. This seems like a tiny little internet tempest in a teapot of Great Importance to certain people but meaningless to the vast majority of SF fans. Is it an issue only because the participants are "underrepresented writers?"

I saw the "acclaimed writer" part in the headline and only checked out the article to see what assholery Orson Scott Card was up to now. I was disappointed.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
25. Re: Tim Cook: Oct 30, 2014, 16:07 Ratty

NKD wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 15:16:
Prez wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 15:03:
I get the symbolic nature of what he is doing but I wonder if there is more harm than good in doing it this way.

I think it's a process. When something has been treated like a dirty secret by so many people for so long, there's benefit in voluntarily and publicly stripping that secrecy away.
Yup, you hear it time and again: "I don't care of they're gay I just wish they'd keep it to themselves." As if it's something that decent people shouldn't ever speak of. Some dark, evil, personal secret nobody must know about. And that's the way it's universally been until just 20 or so years ago. Sure, nobody wants to hear about what anybody, gay or straight, does in the bedroom, but if a man mentions his husband is that flaunting it? If a guy even dares mention his boyfriend does that mean he's forcing other people to know what he does in bed any more than if a guy mentions his girlfriend (or similar to what somebody here so eloquently put it, mentioning his girlfriend must automatically advertise that he's into pussy and nobody needs to hear that).

The only way to get it into peoples' heads that being gay isn't a deep dark terrible secret is to mention it from time to time. To my knowledge Tim Cook hasn't written books or articles on the subject. He hasn't gone on the gay lecture circuit. So really, people can't cut him a break this ONE time? This SINGLE story pollutes your serene Blues News experience so much that it makes you enraged enough to comment? (not talking about you NKD, I just want to quote your apt comment)

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
10. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 22, 2014, 11:05 Ratty

Julio wrote on Oct 22, 2014, 05:23:
Only if it's all completely commercial free. Otherwise what's the point?
Exactly. I never bother with Comcast's VOD stuff, even the free stuff anymore because you can't fast forward through the ads. Same with Hulu. If I want to watch past TV shows I stream from Netflix, even if they're a season or three behind.

I'm pretty much betting the cable companies will disable fast forwarding through ads even on their DVRs sometime soon. They'd either pretty much all have to agree to do it at the same time or Comcast will have put everyone else out of business and there'll be no other company to go to in protest.

3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 14, 2014, 12:31 Ratty

Didn't Edward Snowden save his worst scorn for Dropbox just a couple of days ago?  

9. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 3, 2014, 15:33 Ratty

Alamar wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 14:10:
I buy like one thing every 5 years on amazon, so that won't be much help, but I'll try to remember to click the link first, in a few years ; )
I think Blue is *making* me buy more stuff on Amazon. Curse you Blue! Now I'm off to by a TB hard drive I probably don't need.

1165 Comments. 59 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo