Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonas Taylor

Real Name Jonas Taylor   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname theyarecomingforyou
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 8, 2005, 11:25
Total Comments 6347 (Guru)
User ID 22891

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
51. Re: Op Ed Jul 12, 2015, 12:56 theyarecomingforyou

harlock wrote on Jul 12, 2015, 11:06:
yeh the complete open world MMO is already done, and its playable - sure, ok
The game is more than just the Persistent Universe. That part comes after the rest of the game is in place. The PU is the sum of all the parts, which are playable as they're ready. The hangar module and flight module are already playable, the FPS module is due imminently and the social module shortly after that. Going forward there's Squadron 42 which is the singleplayer experience and the PU will incorporate all those elements. The PU alpha will likely launch next year and will continue to be developed until it is deemed ready to launch - it will be playable long before 2020 and you know it. All the way we've seen videos and documented evidence of the progress.

It's not even slightly comparable to DNF, which changed engines numerous times, was never playable, wasn't heard from for years at a time and had a completely opaque development. You're just a troll.

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 12, 2015, 11:12:
I just found your using the word imminently interesting. One persons indefinitely is another persons imminently. I'm not saying anyone is wrong either, just interesting. The game being playable I think is also interesting come to think of it, very rosey choice of words used.
Saying it's been delayed 'indefinitely' is misleading, as in development terms that usually means cancelled. Ben Lesnick has stated on the forums that the delay will be weeks, not months - that's not official but that's the closest estimate we have. Gamescom is early next month, so that's when I expect it will drop.

harlock wrote on Jul 12, 2015, 11:44:
it seems this whole situation is making people more stupid.. they are so attached and desperate for the christ roberts teet they have to rewire their brains to live on total fiction instead of actual reality
Yawn. It's about being sensible. To have twats around here comparing it to DNF and thinking that's a sensible comparison is ludicrous. Why not compare it to TF2, a game that was delayed but turned out amazingly? That's because it's not about sensible, informed criticism - it's about mindless trolling.

I'm a realist. CIG has demonstrated that it's utterly unable to hit even short term targets and is poor at communicating delays - I'm the first to point out all the flaws of the development and the game itself - but the project as a whole is still on track and goes vastly beyond what was originally promised. Why has it increased in scale? Because that's what fans wanted. It's more important to get the game right.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
44. Re: Op Ed Jul 12, 2015, 11:01 theyarecomingforyou

CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 12, 2015, 09:19:
The official forums are the same. Censorship Central Inc.
Anything even remotely critical either gets locked immediately or swept under the Concern forums rug. Concern forum = trash box. None of the devs ever looks at it.
In General Chat where devs at least occasionally stop by they all want to live in shiny happy Christ Roberts Holyland.
Censoring would be removing such comments on sight. Instead they're placed in the relevant section of the forum. You still have topics being derailed for the same off-topic nonsense - controller balance, the game being a 'scam', etc. It takes a lot to be banned. Heck, there was a specific topic addressing lots of concerns just this week.

Kxmode wrote on Jul 12, 2015, 08:21:
The mods over at Star Citizen Reddit have put me on some sort of 9 minute delay between posts. They're really in lock down mode. There shall be no dissent in Chairman Roberts' new universe order.
The mods on r/starcitizen are separate to CIG. In order to be restricted there you obviously stepped out of line, which isn't surprising given your posts here.

Kxmode wrote on Jul 11, 2015, 19:55:
They did. Alex Mayberry. He left a few days ago. Probably for all the reasons people are thinking about: no stable model, to large in scope, a Studio head hell belt on delivering something cannot be done in the next 2 years, etc. etc...
People leave for all sorts of reasons. One of the co-founders of Valve left while developing Half-Life 2 because he wanted to build a boat and that game turned out fine. The difference here is that the comings and goings are very public. This sort of turnover if perfectly normal. In fact there have been numerous articles over the years about developers for other games not being credited because they left before the title was shipped.

CIG has poached people from Blizzard, like Darian Vorlick. They also poached a lot of staff from Crytek, both in Austin and Frankfurt. Overall CIG has hired more talented people than it has lost. But don't let reason get in the way of your rant.

harlock wrote on Jul 12, 2015, 09:21:
i could see the complete open world MMO releasing in 2020.. thing is, it will be like the DNF release - so long overdue, so long hyped, with such a lack of actual game to back it up
Yawn. The game is already playable, the FPS is due out imminently and the social module not far behind. It's fair to assume that Squadron 42 will be delayed but even so we'll see that next year. As for the PU stuff, that might take a while longer but that's the most complicated component and even after release will be constantly iterated upon and improved.

News Comments > Op Ed
36. Re: Op Ed Jul 12, 2015, 07:53 theyarecomingforyou

DangerDog wrote on Jul 11, 2015, 14:20:
If that's all they can show of the FPS module then this is going to be another "Interstellar Marines" fiasco. Those weapon site gifs look like they were done in photoshop, the blurring effect is retarded and doesn't even match from one to the other.
That's exactly what they are - they're examples, not in-game implementations. Star Marine already leaked a while back and was playable, so we know the content is there - what's been worked on now is the backend (netcode, patching, matchmaking) and animations.

Cutter wrote on Jul 11, 2015, 12:46:
Did you pay for ESO in advance to fund its development? Did they go off the rails and start making other stuff that had nothing to do with the original version. People simply wanted a new Wing Commander game. Not an FPS, or MMO, or anything else. So much for your apples to oranges comparison.
The MMO elements were promised from the start, while the FPS component was a stretch goal for the Kickstarter. They've expanded some of the elements because of the funding but the game itself remains inline with the original vision.

People don't seem to realise how much effort is going into the FPS module. It's not simply a Crysis 3 mod. There are fundamental changes. For instance, Zero-G like this has never been seen. I don't think any other game has linked the first-person and third-person views together - no more floating arms rendered separately. It might be overly ambitious but this game is designed to last. They're not making something that will be played for 10 hours and will then be forgotten about like most games.

Kxmode wrote on Jul 11, 2015, 19:59:
4 years. It took them a year to create the prototype demo that they showed at GDC and to angel investors, ventures and finally to crowdfunders on KickStarter. They started this project in 2011, officially announced it in 2012. What do we have 4 years later: Arena Commander, ships, a hangar and a racing track. You might call that progress. I call it a failure.
Please. The prototype was made by Chris Roberts and a few volunteers from Crytek. CIG didn't exist as a studio. You can't equate that time to the time spent since the Kickstarter. It's taken about 18 months to fully staff the studios while laying out the groundwork. Obviously progress is slower than people would like and the original goals were wildly unrealistic but what matters is the final product.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight PC DLC Delay Confirmed
16. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight PC DLC Delay Confirmed Jul 12, 2015, 07:30 theyarecomingforyou

Krovven wrote on Jul 12, 2015, 06:24:
Because editing a config file is HARD! Right?

We all get that it's dumb that it's not an option in-game to unlock it, let alone being locked in the first place, but that's not a problem preventing the game from running properly. It doesn't break the game in any way.
Having to edit config files just to get the game to run as it should is absolutely unacceptable. I don't know how they thought a 30fps wouldn't generate a massive backlash. BRINK was the same.

It's a trainwreck of a port.

News Comments > CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns
153. Re: CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns Jul 11, 2015, 19:56 theyarecomingforyou

jdreyer wrote on Jul 11, 2015, 19:24:
True from a size perspective, but I was speaking from a technological perspective: creating an integrated game universe with a scale that delivers an individual perspective all the way up to a galactic one and getting all those pieces to work together.
Given his documented trolling he actually has LESS credibility than a random forum poster. He was proved himself to be inept both personally and professionally.

News Comments > Ship Ahoy - F1 2015
8. Re: Ship Ahoy - F1 2015 Jul 11, 2015, 09:06 theyarecomingforyou

jdreyer wrote on Jul 11, 2015, 01:47:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 10, 2015, 19:43:
No SLI support? Fucking hell, not this again. Pathetic.

Really? For 5% of gamers out there? For a graphics engine that hardly requires it?
There's no excuse when the previous games support it. All they have to do is not break it. Those with SLI setups represent the enthusiasts, those who spend the most on gaming. To not have support out-of-the-box is unacceptable. SLI support is a great indication of the amount of effort put in by the developer.

F1 2013 was the best version to date because of the classic mode and the refinements from previous versions. I skipped F1 2014 because there were no obvious improvements and it removed the classic mode, rather than expanding it as they should have done.

What annoys me is that Codemasters games used to be great but they've really gone downhill.

149. Re: CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns Jul 11, 2015, 07:53 theyarecomingforyou

Rigs wrote on Jul 10, 2015, 23:58:
Anyway, about account creation, you can't really go by that at all. Mine says September 10th, 2002, but I've been coming here long before that! Where my original account went? I have no clue. I know I forgot it's password and then abandoned the email address it pointed to, so it's lost. That's after lurking here for nearly two years without commenting at all, just reading the news. Things back then were crazy! The industry was still getting on it's feet, being a geek wasn't 'cool' yet. 'Life-like', 'realistic' graphics meant taking some artistic liberties with the definitions...lol...
I used to have an account before this one but lost it, so this one is 'only' ten years old.

News Comments > Ship Ahoy - F1 2015
1. Re: Ship Ahoy - F1 2015 Jul 10, 2015, 19:43 theyarecomingforyou

No SLI support? Fucking hell, not this again. Pathetic.  

144. Re: CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns Jul 10, 2015, 19:34 theyarecomingforyou

jdreyer wrote on Jul 10, 2015, 18:47:
Probably among the most qualified, as there are only a few project leads on the planet that have ever tried anything of this scope, Derek being among them for the past 2+ decades.
He's an indie developer and not a very good one. He hasn't managed a project this large or even close to it. All he does is re-release the same game year after year. According to his LinkedIn page he has between 11 and 50 employees and another source puts it at 25, which is a fraction of the 280+ employees and 200+ contractors that CIG has. That's without even considered calibre, as CIG has employees that have worked on some of the largest, most successful titles in the industry.

He's barely qualified to dress himself.

138. Re: CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns Jul 10, 2015, 13:09 theyarecomingforyou

CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 10, 2015, 12:32:
That keeps coming up by the White Knights at the SC forums but it's not the players making up unrealistic dates or having unrealistic expectations. Let's not shift the blame here. It's Chris Roberts setting unrealistic expectations himself by issuing unrealistic dates.
Back during the original campaign (and some time after that) he even repeated frequently that people should keep pledging -specifically- because more money would allow them to get things done FASTER.

Finally, the dates of those other games are certainly from early concept phase to release day and not necessarily from start of full scale development to release day. The concept phase of Star Citizen took place in 2011 when Chris started working on the campaign that launched in 2012 so it's all a bit more in flux and not as clear cut as that half-assed chart poorly attempts to makes us believe.
CIG wasn't an established studio like those others. It was basically Chris Roberts and some volunteers from Crytek, while many of the assets used were simply stock items from third parties. It takes a lot to establish a studio, let alone multiple studios around the world - that's while they're trying to develop the game that was merely a concept.

It's pretty obvious that the early predictions were way off but that's been true of many of the best PC games to date (Half-Life / 2, Unreal Tournament, Team Fortress 2, Mafia II, Tribes 2, etc). Some of that is because the scope of the game changed based on the funding - they couldn't keep developing the game they had planned at $2m now that the funding has hit $85m. If they simply pocketed the money and released the game exactly as was planned it would have a) not received the same level of funding, and b) been labelled a scam. At the end of the day what matters is the game, not how long it takes to make. It's right that gamers are keeping the pressure on CIG and it's right that people criticise the delays.

This project is one of the most ambitious to date. If they pull it off it will be amazing, if they come close it will be great, if the singleplayer is strong it will be very good and if the project implodes it will be a disaster. I've been following the game closely and am confident it will be a great game - I also know will likely not be completed until 2017 and will undergo a lot of work after that point.

News Comments > Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear Announced
9. Re: Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear Announced Jul 10, 2015, 11:34 theyarecomingforyou

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 10, 2015, 10:56:
Still better engine than whatever SC runs on....
I didn't realise you had alt accounts, Derek.

132. Re: CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns Jul 10, 2015, 11:07 theyarecomingforyou

Slashman wrote on Jul 10, 2015, 10:14:
Like it or not, he is somewhat qualified to speak about this kind of game and its scope.
Not in the slightest. It's like saying someone who puts milk on their cereal is qualified to speak about the milk industry. He has zero credibility. He's famous for low budget games that were poorly designed, laughably buggy and missing many of the features promised.

He's the Donald Trump of video game developers.

127. Re: CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns Jul 10, 2015, 09:54 theyarecomingforyou

Derek's here to spread more propaganda against Star Citizen. Brilliant. Did you get bored of making your failed games and filing lawsuits against anyone who looks at you funny?  

News Comments > Star Citizen Executive Producer Departs [Updated]
144. Re: Star Citizen Executive Producer Departs [Updated] Jul 9, 2015, 10:22 theyarecomingforyou

InBlack wrote on Jul 8, 2015, 08:24:
Oh yeah, hehe. Tumbler has at least lowered his expectations quite a bit in the interim, while theyarecomingforyou has simply doubledowned with the fanaticism.
Most games go through significant staff changes, it's just they're not usually as public. Don't forget that CIG has poached a lot of great talent from other developers, including Blizzard and Crytek. Valve lost Mike Harrington, one of the cofounders, during the development of Half-Life 2 and that game turned out great.

This is simply business as usual. But hey, don't let reason get in the way!

News Comments > F1 2015 Specs
4. Re: F1 2015 Specs Jul 8, 2015, 09:44 theyarecomingforyou

theglaze wrote on Jul 7, 2015, 23:50:
Don't expect this to run smoothly from the start, regardless of what you're running for a rig. I recall waiting 3 months for SLI support with F1 2012.
F1 2012 was an abomination. I avoided buying it, as SLI support was broken in the demo and I checked out the forums - it was strange as F1 2011 worked fine. F1 2013 was fine as well, so I think it was a one off.

News Comments > Star Citizen Adds $400 Ship
82. Re: Star Citizen Adds $400 Ship Jul 6, 2015, 10:23 theyarecomingforyou

Verno wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 10:14:
I'm still not convinced its going to be made with this model either but I'm an optimist and willing to wait
Fair enough, but nobody was forced to pledge money. It's perfectly reasonable to wait for it to be completed before deciding whether it is worth paying for.

As a massive fan of the genre and previous Chris Roberts games it was a no brainer for me and I'm happy with the direction of the game so far.

News Comments > Star Citizen Adds $400 Ship
80. Re: Star Citizen Adds $400 Ship Jul 6, 2015, 03:54 theyarecomingforyou

jdreyer wrote on Jul 5, 2015, 23:05:
The thing is, they're not paying for just any AAA game. They're paying for an AAA game that used to be its own genre, but publishers decided to stop making 15 years ago (with maybe one or two exceptions). And that game is being headed by the founder of the genre. While I only spent the minimum, I see why people with disposable incomes are trying to revive one last hurrah from a dead genre.
This. The game literally wouldn't have been made without this funding model.

News Comments > F1 2015 Features Trailer
1. Re: F1 2015 Features Trailer Jul 2, 2015, 20:49 theyarecomingforyou

For an all new engine it doesn't look like much of an improvement over previous years. The driver models are weak by modern standards and the texture quality is pretty poor.

I'm sure the game will be a blast but F1 2013 is the one to beat with its classic mode.

News Comments > On Star Citizen FPS Delays
77. Re: On Star Citizen FPS Delays Jul 2, 2015, 07:33 theyarecomingforyou

Dacron wrote on Jul 1, 2015, 19:40:
I hope if the content is lacking on release compared to full games the excuse won't be it was only a target to make the first episode larger than other full games, sorry it was only 2.5 hours long, we promise the next will be. ("Let's just ignore the most recent information from CIG that the first "episode" of Squadron 42 is going to be what most studios release as a full retail title in playable content. *eyeroll*" - from Zor, which my reply was based off.)
If the game isn't what's promised then there will be a lot of criticism, don't you worry about that. There's already major friction on the forums from HOTAS users who feel that the mouse is overpowered, as they feel that CIG isn't delivering on the promise of control agnosticism.

Dacron wrote on Jul 1, 2015, 19:40:
I mean, 3drealms had a whole bunch of reasons for pushing Duke Nukem Forever back. Delays happen.
Fuck dude, that's like comparing the common cold to Ebola. Do you know another game that had delays? Team Fortress 2, and it's worth pointing out that Valve was a lot more established when it was originally announced. CIG has been very open with the development process - to compare it to DNF is transparent trolling.

NegaDeath wrote on Jul 2, 2015, 00:47:
There are posts from individuals criticizng. Any post with criticism of any form is pounded into oblivion by hundreds of members of the CR defense force, exactly what InBlack was talking about. Not that this is unique to this game but the severity seems to scale with financial investment. Probably related to post-purchase rationalization.
That's simply not true. There is plenty of active discussion on the forums, from criticism of pricing, delays, LTI, etc. Many backers with large investments have been the most vocally critical.

NegaDeath wrote on Jul 2, 2015, 00:47:
Letter from the Chairman - $19 Million:
"...the more funds we can raise in the pre-launch phase, the more we can invest in additional content (more ships, characters etc.) and perhaps more importantly we can apply greater number of resources to the various tasks to ensure we deliver the full functionality sooner rather than later."

Derp.
The game when it had $19m in funding is different to the game now that it has $85m. Development will be quicker now that 300 people are working on it but the scope of the game has also increased, especially with the FPS module which everybody assumed was simply going to be tacked on. The FPS component is a full-fledged game in its own right and surprisingly enough that takes time to develop.

Do I like delays? No. Do I think there are issues with CIG's project management? Yes. Am I critical about some aspects of the game? Absolutely. Do I think it's going to be a great game? Yes, I do based on what I've played and all that I've seen.

News Comments > On Star Citizen FPS Delays
74. Re: On Star Citizen FPS Delays Jul 1, 2015, 12:48 theyarecomingforyou

Dacron wrote on Jun 29, 2015, 22:12:
Don't know if you noticed, but a lot of stuff they say turns out to be false. Like release dates. Just saying.
When the statement was made it was accurate. Release dates are targets, not factual statements. Delays happen.

InBlack wrote on Jun 30, 2015, 02:52:
RSI has been shifting the goalposts since day 1 of the kickstarter, the fanbois don't seem to even notice. The blind faith of the truly faithful is not to be underestimated. They really think that CR will transport them into this magical world of the future where nothing is the limit. What they dont seem to get is that CR's track record speaks louder than any hype or words, and that what has been released so far is so far below any kind of par its hilarious.
Then why are there so many posts on the official forums whenever there's a delay? The answer is that fans do care about the delays but they also care about the final product. I'm perfectly happy to accept delays if it results in a better game and I acknowledge that delays can happen on a complicated project like this. The scale of the game now vastly exceeds what was originally promised but unfortunately the complexity has resulted in some delays. That's not at all uncommon for the industry and you also have to consider that CIG wasn't an established studio - there were only a few members at the beginning, whereas now there are hundreds of people working on the game.

Nobody likes delays but some people are able to accept them maturely. Taunting people who like the game isn't helpful.

Flatline wrote on Jun 30, 2015, 15:23:
Yeah. So not only are we going to have slowdown on the rest of the game, but Chris Roberts needs to fucking google Brooks' Law.
CIG has quoted Brook's Law specifically in reference to the delays. They used the "nine women can't make a baby in one month" to point out that adding more people to a project won't necessarily shorten the time it takes. Here's the link: 10 For The Producers (Episode 2).

At the moment approximately 15% of the company is working on the Star Marine module, so development on the rest of the game continues. Chris Roberts has acknowledged that the delay could impact other modules but pointed out that a two month delay for Star Marine doesn't necessarily mean a two month delay for Squadron 42 or the Social Module.

6347 Comments. 318 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo