Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonas Taylor

Real Name Jonas Taylor   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname theyarecomingforyou
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 8, 2005, 11:25
Total Comments 6382 (Guru)
User ID 22891

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade Switches to Unreal Engine 4
2. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade Switches to Unreal Engine 4 Jul 16, 2015, 11:48 theyarecomingforyou

Random trivia: Behaviour Interactive is also one of the developers working on Star Citizen.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Cloud Imperium on Star Citizen Refunds
104. Re: Cloud Imperium on Star Citizen Refunds Jul 16, 2015, 10:25 theyarecomingforyou

grudgebearer wrote on Jul 16, 2015, 08:16:
Giving CIG a pass on what is and always was a terrible business model that fleeces the gullible into purchasing concept art on the promise that by purchasing the art it will one day be a playable asset in game, all the while stating that EA shouldn't do the same thing is staggeringly hypocritical.
It's not hypocritical. If a company that has access to vast resources, like EA or Activision, did it then I'd be opposed because they could afford to make such a game without asking consumers to pay for an unfinished project. But CIG had no such resources and had approached various publishers without success. They are two very different scenarios.

grudgebearer wrote on Jul 16, 2015, 08:16:
Basically it's ok for CIG to sell in-game assets (years before they are available in a playable game) for massive amounts of money, because CIG couldn't get a publisher to work with him and give him unlimited cash to burn? If you think Star Citizen is about anything more than making money, then you are deluding yourself to a point where you should seek medical help.
Nobody is being forced to buy the game and everybody has been made aware of the risks. Of course the game is intended to make money but I disagree that making money is the only goal. I sincerely believe that Chris Roberts is making this game because of his passion, not because of money.

As I said, I don't like the funding model but am rational enough to accept it was a necessary evil. You're free to disagree. If you don't want to back the game then don't.

News Comments > No PC Batman: Arkham Knight Until Fall?
4. Re: No PC Batman: Arkham Knight Until Fall? Jul 16, 2015, 09:55 theyarecomingforyou

jomisab wrote on Jul 16, 2015, 09:48:
I would not be surprised if it's never re-released for PC. They will delay and delay and delay until it fades from memory....except for those who already bought it and never get it fixed properly.
Nah, it'll be fixed to prevent a lawsuit. It just might not be fixed to a particularly great level.

News Comments > Gearbox May Outsource Next Duke Nukem
39. Re: DOOM Reboot Jul 16, 2015, 06:37 theyarecomingforyou

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jul 15, 2015, 22:36:
Don't get me wrong, I actually really liked how the Doom(4) trailer looked. But seriously, we've all reached the age where the target demographic is at least 15-20 years younger.
That's just because we've all got older. Do you know how old I was when I first played Doom? I was eight. Don't get me wrong though, my parents were responsible and sat me down to explain the violence in the game and how it wasn't real. But let's not pretend that kids don't play violent video games.

94. Re: Cloud Imperium on Star Citizen Refunds Jul 15, 2015, 19:51 theyarecomingforyou

Kosumo wrote on Jul 15, 2015, 19:01:
I'd like to know if you think selling/pledging a ship in a 'concept' ready stage for ~10 times the price of a whole AAA computer game, for a game that is not ready, or close too, is a sound model for software development?
Yes and no. If this was EA or Activision doing it I couldn't be more critical, as they have the resources to make games without such a business model. However, this game wouldn't have been made otherwise and ship sales have allowed them to make this game the scale it is. In an ideal world this business model should never be used.

Kosumo wrote on Jul 15, 2015, 19:01:
So you think that making a promise that you will get this ship at sometime in some state for a game that you will get at sometime that itself will only be in some state, is where it would be good if PC gaming headed towards?
No. Anyone not willing to lose any money they pledge shouldn't be spending money on this game. Those people should wait until the retail release before making a decision on buying the game.

My hope is that if CIG becomes an established and financially independent studio as a result of this game that it would not use this business model again. Valve is a great example - they took the success of the Half-Life franchise and used that to establish themselves as an independent company. Now they're not beholden to anyone and can experiment with disruptive business models, like that of Dota 2. Hopefully CIG can do something similar.

This genre was dead before Star Citizen. This was the only way this game was going to get made. Being my favourite genre I was happy to gamble on it.

News Comments > Op Ed
103. Re: Op Ed Jul 15, 2015, 18:51 theyarecomingforyou

Posting that comment in every Star Citizen topic... really? Classic trolling.  

91. Re: Cloud Imperium on Star Citizen Refunds Jul 15, 2015, 18:49 theyarecomingforyou

Kosumo wrote on Jul 15, 2015, 17:50:
Really? You believe that? Could you tell me what you think is a 'ready' state for a ship to be sold in.
As I'm sure you're aware, there are three stages in which a ship is sold - when they're concept ready, when they're hangar ready and when they're flight ready. Each stage is pretty self-explanatory, so I'm not sure what you're expecting me to say.

30. Re: DOOM Reboot Jul 15, 2015, 17:16 theyarecomingforyou

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jul 15, 2015, 15:27:
On the one hand, this makes sense; some(most?) of their target audience wasn't even alive when Doom 1 came out. On the other hand, the slow inexorable rape of my childhood continues. :o
There's really no need for continuity. Doom 1 and 2 had precisely ZERO dialogue and Doom 3 SHOULD have had precisely zero dialogue, as it was bloody awful. None of the games had a plot. Therefore I'm perfectly fine with a reboot.

Personally I loved the trailer. It had a really retro feel to it, with very modern style. However, the entire trailer looked prerendered and more target gameplay than anything else - I'd be surprised if the final game is anything like it. If it is it should be a blast.

And yes, a new Duke Nukem done in the style of the Doom reboot would be a smash hit.

86. Re: Cloud Imperium on Star Citizen Refunds Jul 15, 2015, 17:08 theyarecomingforyou

Julio wrote on Jul 15, 2015, 16:15:
Looking forward to the articles. There's an element here who have invested thousands in Star Citizen that don't want to know the truth.
If you think that Derek 'Desktop Commander' Smart is telling the 'truth' then I suggest you seek psychiatric help. I'm not even joking.

80. Re: Cloud Imperium on Star Citizen Refunds Jul 15, 2015, 15:49 theyarecomingforyou

descender wrote on Jul 15, 2015, 15:34:
What possessed you to use Blue's forum as your personal sounding board for this crap in the first place? The only thing I can figure is that he rarely ever bans anyone, so it's a safe place for "the way you are" online.
Nailed it. Nowhere else tolerates him.

78. Re: Cloud Imperium on Star Citizen Refunds Jul 15, 2015, 15:25 theyarecomingforyou

Sorry, I forgot to post this.  

77. Re: Cloud Imperium on Star Citizen Refunds Jul 15, 2015, 15:16 theyarecomingforyou

You got your refund, now go away.  

75. Re: Cloud Imperium on Star Citizen Refunds Jul 15, 2015, 14:28 theyarecomingforyou

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 15, 2015, 13:05:
people imo show valid concerns, some over the top or inaccurate, perhaps. But this game has all the makings of "too good to be true" and that is the nerve that is being hit. Promise after promise, we need more money after we need more money, more delays than deliverables.
CIG has deliberately downplayed the funding aspect of the game. The stretch goals were stopped, the funding counter removed from the main page, no announcements are made for funding milestones (except for the occasion big one), etc. Ships are sold as and when they're ready but many are being held back for the singleplayer campaign and will never be sold.

As for the 'promises', you can't take every single statement as gospel. There are hundreds of developers working there - sometimes they make mistakes, sometimes the features they discuss simply aren't practical and sometimes there are other reasons (i.e. balance). Some people take an off the cuff remark and treat it as if that's the most important feature in the game. Sometimes people simply read into comments what's not there.

Here's a great example. A developer made a joke to another developer not being able to do Rambo-like one hit knife kills and somebody twisted that to be confirmation of one hit knife kills. Some of the people following the game are zealots and simply not connected with reality.

Kxmode wrote on Jul 15, 2015, 12:53:
I'm glad this site is a beacon of free speech unlike the official Star Citizen forums and Star Citizen Reddit. You are absolutely not allowed to express opposing viewpoints or dissent. It will result in posting delays / ban (Reddit mods) or tiered bans (official forums).

To quote the famous line from The Two Towers: "You have no power here." You do not get to make demands. Now, go away.
There's no obligation for them to be bastions of free speech. They're places for discussing the game and unfortunately there are people who abuse it. A lot of people complain about topics on the RSI forums being merged or moved to the Concern section but that's just to make the forums manageable - you have hundreds of people posting similar topics about the same handful of issues and it's hard to have any sensible discussions. Rarely are topics locked and if so it's only because they're troll topics or about trolls (i.e. they've been closing discussions about Derek Smart because he's a professional troll). Reddit is a separate entity, so if you're having posts removed from both I'd suggest you're doing something wrong.

There are plenty of highly critical, scathing topics on both the RSI forums and Reddit. People have to go really out of their way to get banned. People forget that Blue's News is one of the least moderated and restricted sites out there. Think of Blue's as McDonald's - there's no dress code and they only get upset if you get your willy out and urinate on customers; the RSI forums are more like an average restaurant - they expect you to dress sensibly and not disrupt other customers but they're hardly demanding.

17. Re: Gearbox May Outsource Next Duke Nukem Jul 15, 2015, 11:42 theyarecomingforyou

El Pit wrote on Jul 15, 2015, 09:41:
Exactly, do a kickstarter that includes a persiistent dukeverse, boarding of strippers, tps and fps interaction with poledancers, limited editions of flyable machines, and much, much more. Add any stretch goals that comes to mind until you reach $80,000,000+, and open plenty of studios all over the world working on different modules for the game. When it comes to a release date, say "2018" and add "in Duke Nukem time", and everybody knows that this means "Right after the full release of Star Citizen".
If people want to fund a project like that then let them. I doubt such a Kickstarter would get far as they have no credibility.

5. Re: Gearbox May Outsource Next Duke Nukem Jul 15, 2015, 09:35 theyarecomingforyou

If they're too small to handle the projects then expand. It's one thing to outsource aspects of the game to outside contractors but it's another entirely to outsource the entire game.

As Gearbox pointed out, Duke Nukem is a big franchise and has massive brand recognition. If they do it right it could be their biggest game to date. This to me sounds like it will be a shovelware sequel.

63. Re: Cloud Imperium on Star Citizen Refunds Jul 15, 2015, 09:21 theyarecomingforyou

harlock wrote on Jul 15, 2015, 08:57:
Kxmode wrote on Jul 15, 2015, 01:29:
Do you see the difference? It's a matter of pure ethics. What Chris was doing was wrong. It had nothing to do with "well you should've known". How was I to know that Chris was speaking truth when he made his claims? I took him at his word.

this sounds like something a 10 year old would say... so how old are you? have you actually lived a life outside of your parents house? the world is not "ethical", there are countless people waiting to take advantage of every blind spot you have, they want to exploit you - its how the system works, its how people are trained... get money, at any cost

do you even know what you are saying? its just so cliche... "well i trusted the businessman because he said it was NEW AND IMPROVED!, but its not! waaah!"
Is there anyone here you won't personally insult? You have an extremely abrasive personality.

59. Re: Cloud Imperium on Star Citizen Refunds Jul 15, 2015, 08:44 theyarecomingforyou

CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 15, 2015, 07:59:
Really? Where are Chris' and/or Erin's posts informing us about how the schedules that were shown at various events have shifted? I haven't heard of any official Squadron 42 delay from the end of this year yet or whether the PU commercial release is still on target for 2016.
The release dates given were estimates. At the moment CIG doesn't know what impact the SM delay will have on the rest of the game and avoids going into specifics because the way it is misrepresented by the press. Despite being months past the expected release date the FPS delay wasn't even being discussed on sites like this until CIG issued a statement about it, at which point the term 'indefinite delay' was used to imply it was nowhere near release. CIG could have simply continued on as usual and released it when it was ready but instead it took the flak to keep fans informed.

CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 15, 2015, 07:59:
Squadron 42 will most certainly be massively delayed as will the PU and they've long known it already. Open development, my ass. If they were open and honest, then they would announce the delays the moment they realize that they are not going to make it. The only thing that is open is showing how ships are made so people keep buying more.
Name one other AAA game that has been so open in the way it is being developed. There isn't one. There are regularly videos, forums posts, extremely detailed monthly reports, live Twitch Q&As, screenshots and lore being released and CIG does its best to inform people about changes and delays.

How many government projects or AAA games are ever delivered on time? Most games aren't even announced until they're a year from release and even then they often miss the date. Massive and complicated projects often run into trouble. Nothing on this scale has been attempted before and surprisingly enough it is proving difficult. What matters is the end result.

57. Re: Cloud Imperium on Star Citizen Refunds Jul 15, 2015, 07:42 theyarecomingforyou

Malvok wrote on Jul 15, 2015, 07:16:
I really haven't been following this game much other than seeing post after post mentioning it blasting past funding goals over and over. I always wondered how the game would ever be finished if it kept adding more and more features so they could tack on another funding goal.
The stretch goals were stopped last year and most were only minor features that were going to be added anyway. The delays are unrelated to that.

Malvok wrote on Jul 15, 2015, 07:16:
What's the state of the game now? Is it playable and generally complete as originally described?
The game is nowhere near complete. At the moment there is Arena Commander, which features the basics for space flight - an AI swarm mode, multiplayer and co-op. There is also a racing mode. New mechanics are being added to it, with component and physical armour being the next additions (currently they're both approximated). There is a lot of concern regarding the balance of control methods (particularly HOTAS and mouse) and many users, nearly all on joystick, are unhappy - CIG has stated that they're actively working on it and changes will be tested in future builds.

The FPS module was due a couple of months ago but was delayed because of netcode issues. It is expected soon, probably next month for Gamescom. That will make a lot of changes to the game and is a substantial addition. After that we'll see the social module, which adds the basics for planets - landing zones, shops, AI characters, etc. It is due 'shortly' after the FPS module, so realistically about Sep - Oct. AC2.0, which includes multi-crew functionality, is due this summer so I'd guess we'll see it around Nov time.

Squadron 42, the singleplayer component, is due out at the end of this year but based on the delays there's no way that will be on target. We know from the asset leak the other month that a lot of work has been done on it, more than has been shown publicly. I'd expect a minimum delay of 6 months.

A lot of content has been shown and regular reports are made on the progress - the development process is remarkably open - but it's no secret that the game is considerably behind schedule. However, the fidelity and scope of the project has increased and the final game should be better as a result. I think that's a fair and honest appraisal of the situation.

News Comments > No Star Wars Battlefront Split Screen on PC
45. Re: No Star Wars Battlefront Split Screen on PC Jul 15, 2015, 06:38 theyarecomingforyou

Steele Johnson wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 23:30:
The SteamMachine just got the shaft with this one.
EA doesn't release games on Steam, so I don't see how this changes anything.

53. Re: Cloud Imperium on Star Citizen Refunds Jul 15, 2015, 06:29 theyarecomingforyou

Kajetan wrote on Jul 15, 2015, 04:48:
InBlack wrote on Jul 15, 2015, 02:35:
Im not sure there are any legal options if people want their money back. Those 'pledges' count as donations right? Even the ship sales, count as 'pledges', which count as donations. So how do you legally claim that money as anything that is owed back to you? RSI are opening a pandora's box by giving Derek his money back, they themselves state that legally they are NOT required to give back refunds. So which is it??
Donations can (!) be given back, if the donee does not want a particular donation. Or the doner can convince the donee, that there is an emergeny and he utterly needs the money back. Maybe, after you got unemployed and need money more than ship packages in your hangar for several thousand dollar.

Standard practice, nothing special.
Exactly. Politicians accept all sorts of dodgy donations and return them when they become politically disadvantageous.

@Zandog - That's a good summary.

6382 Comments. 320 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo