Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonas Taylor

Real Name Jonas Taylor   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname theyarecomingforyou
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 8, 2005, 11:25
Total Comments 6551 (Guru)
User ID 22891

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > New Star Citizen Alpha
4. Re: New Star Citizen Alpha Oct 24, 2015, 11:49 theyarecomingforyou

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 24, 2015, 11:30:
"Under the hood" changes are entirely fucking retarded because the fucking patcher downloads the entire game for every patch anyway. So you download the new version with "under the hood" changes only to download them again when (if) 2.0 hits. They might as well have skipped this version if 2.0 is as close as they want people to believe. The people with limited bandwidth would thank them for it.
They're working on tech and procedures to minimise patches but it's not a priority at this stage.

As for this patch, it broke ArcCorp for me because of a bug related to SLI. In terms of functionality it's extremely unimpressive and lacking but it paves the way for 2.0 which is a major step forward. The builds on the PTU were awful, with players falling through hangars and regular crashes - however, they fixed the issues pretty quickly (there was a new build each day).

In other words, move along - there's nothing to see here.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Halo 5 PC Possibilities
20. Re: Halo 5 PC Possibilities Oct 23, 2015, 15:00 theyarecomingforyou

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 23, 2015, 14:47:
What the hell are you talking about? Gears of War Ultimate Edition is only a remake of part numero uno and not the whole series.
You're right. I saw an article stating that the Ultimate Edition would come with the previous games but didn't realise that only applied to XB1, which only reinforces my position that Microsoft is a cunt to PC gamers.

12. Re: Halo 5 PC Possibilities Oct 23, 2015, 12:24 theyarecomingforyou

Task wrote on Oct 23, 2015, 12:20:
I could care less about halo multiplayer.
*COULDN'T Wall

10. Re: Halo 5 PC Possibilities Oct 23, 2015, 11:16 theyarecomingforyou

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 23, 2015, 09:24:
If Microsoft was smart they would take the entire collection and put it on the PC in one package.
Exactly. Remaster it, make it DX12 exclusive (i.e. Windows 10 exclusive) and bundle it altogether - exactly like they did with Gears Of War.

As much as I despise Microsoft I'd probably grab that bundle.

News Comments > Descent: Underground Early Access
5. Re: Descent: Underground Early Access Oct 22, 2015, 21:13 theyarecomingforyou

This project is really sketchy. It was founded by ex-CIG employees and was originally meant to be a new IP before they acquired the rights to Descent, which led to a significant backlash from fans of the franchise. Then with the Kickstarter they were going to miss the target by a significant margin until a large backer stepped in at the last second - convenient given that they wouldn't have got a penny without that.

As much as I like the individuals responsible - Mike Morlan, Eric Peterson, Rob Irving, etc - this game is a joke.

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront III Footage?
18. Re: Star Wars Battlefront III Footage? Oct 21, 2015, 19:18 theyarecomingforyou

Let's be honest, the Battlefront franchise has never been very good. This new footage is no exception and shows why the game was cancelled. It's not like we're talking about 1313, which looked amazing.

What people don't seem able to accept is that EA's Battlefront is meant to be casual. It's not for hardcore Battlefield players - it's meant for children, for casual gamers, for Star Wars fans and those who don't typically game. The fidelity is exceptional, the gameplay well-paced and it actually makes decent use of the IP. As much as I hate EA I have to give them credit for Battlefront.

People here are just too jaded that they don't realise a decent game when it comes along. Games don't have to have depth to be fun.

News Comments > Rainbow Six Siege Gameplay Video
5. Re: Rainbow Six Siege Gameplay Video Oct 21, 2015, 18:45 theyarecomingforyou

LittleMe wrote on Oct 21, 2015, 15:15:
Another game that idolizes the police state?
Yup. As long as you call the suspect a terrorist everything's fine - you don't even need to bother with the paperwork. Apprehend people in a non-lethal manner? Nah, don't be silly.

The US models its justice system on Judge Dredd, only with added racism. The only reason the US even has courts is for multi-billion dollar corporations to sue each other. The poor and the black are simply shot on sight - they rarely make it to trial. Want to imagine a dystopian future? Just visit Detroit.

News Comments > Star Citizen Has 1M Backers; More Get Alpha Access
164. Re: Star Citizen Has 1M Backers; More Get Alpha Access Oct 21, 2015, 04:51 theyarecomingforyou

jdreyer wrote on Oct 20, 2015, 23:30:
You can say that, but it doesn't make it true. Look at the top 50 best selling games in history . The only games in that list that have name Hollywood actors doing voice work in them are some of the CoD series. However, none of them were featured in the advertising for those games until CoD: Advanced Warfare (Kevin Spacey), which didn't even make the top 50.
So the Call Of Duty games don't count? You also ignored Skyrim and GTA. It's not all about sales, as platform exclusives - like Halo - will naturally have lower sales but still use top-tier talent. You haven't proven that talent doesn't benefit games.

jdreyer wrote on Oct 20, 2015, 20:28:
Tell me which game you purchased because some famous Hollywood actor was in it.
The people here follow video games closely and aren't the sort of people who will be won over by Hollywood talent. However, I generally look more favourably on games that use talent well. Even Wing Commander, back in the day, benefited from a Hollywood cast.

I really don't understand why you're attacking the casting decision when it has been promised since early on. Backers clearly want it. You're not the target audience.

159. Re: Star Citizen Has 1M Backers; More Get Alpha Access Oct 20, 2015, 17:38 theyarecomingforyou

jdreyer wrote on Oct 18, 2015, 15:56:
No one bought Advanced Warfare because Kevin Spacey was in it. No one. And no one will buy this game because Gary Oldman is in it.
So the cast of a game is utterly meaningless and developers are just wasting their money on talent? Perhaps you should inform them of that.

Kosumo wrote on Oct 18, 2015, 16:47:
No marketing? Really? Why then do they have a VP of marketing for the last 3-4 years.
No marketing in the traditional sense. There have been no TV ads, internet ads, high profile appearances on TV shows, etc. We'll be seeing the first magazine covers this coming month. As the game gets closer to release they'll have to invest in more traditional marketing.

News Comments > Star Citizen Status Update
42. Re: Star Citizen Status Update Oct 19, 2015, 12:56 theyarecomingforyou

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 11:49:
First, that "live" demo could have been 100% staged.
As could the moon landing yet all the evidence points to the contrary.

Secondly, the original pitch was something like up to 100 ships/clients (they never specified unfortunately) per instance.
They have already dialed back significantly on that number and the last I've heard was they were hoping to maybe reach 50 eventually.
How can they simultaneously claim 100 ships per instance whilst refusing to specify the number? That literally makes no sense. They've always said they were aiming for 50-100 players per instance but that netcode would be the biggest challenge - no firm commitment was made because it's utterly dependent on how the netcode turns out.

From monthly reports and the dev updates we can see that they are currently struggling with significantly lower numbers while "hoping" to slowly increase the number of clients.
No, they've been continually increasing the player count. The social module is up to 40 players per instance. Further, the zone system, which they've been working on for a long time now, will help with that. One of the biggest limitations is actually graphics performance, which will be improved with DX12 and further optimisation.

So CIG can shove their "live" demo with a handful of people right up their ass. It's really astounding how their smoke&mirrors works for people like you. God forbid any critical thinking... can I sell you some magic shrooms that will grow your penis for only $50/pc? Deal?
It would require much more effort to fake it than to simply do it. We already have Arena Commander playable now and the demo shown is only the logical continuation of that. We've seen them double the number of players supported in Arena Commander and the zone system hasn't even been implemented yet. We'll know soon enough as SC2.0 is due out this year, not that that will silence the haters around here. Every time they just shift the focus - the S42 reveal was good so suddenly it's 'they must have spent $37m on the cast'. It's comical.

As Taylor Swift sang: haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate.

News Comments > Star Citizen Star Cast Revealed
246. Re: Star Citizen Star Cast Revealed Oct 18, 2015, 08:56 theyarecomingforyou

jdreyer wrote on Oct 16, 2015, 17:08:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 16, 2015, 08:48:
Kxmode wrote on Oct 14, 2015, 02:09:
Gary Oldman sends his appreciation to Star Citizens.
I hadn't seen that. It's reassuring to hear that he wants to come back, which presumably means he isn't one of the characters killed off.

He could be killed off, and return in flashbacks.
Flashbacks? Urgh, don't make me cry! Anxious

155. Re: Star Citizen Has 1M Backers; More Get Alpha Access Oct 18, 2015, 08:53 theyarecomingforyou

jdreyer wrote on Oct 16, 2015, 14:04:
It's a fair point, but I seriously doubt that they will pull in another $10M on top of what they might have made otherwise. They made $90M without announcing Gary Oldman, Mark Hamill, and Gillian Anderson, and if they'd done this CitCon without announcing any of the talent, they still would have made a million backers on the strength of the game presentation. Although there are probably a few, I doubt most people are saying "Whoa, a CG Gary Oldman! Take my money!"
The game hasn't been released yet and there has been no marketing campaign, so one can't take pledges made immediately after CitizenCon as the total net benefit of the cast. A better cast increases the appeal of the game and makes it more marketable - that will be more important as the game nears release.

jdreyer wrote on Oct 16, 2015, 14:10:
He was planning on maybe bringing Hamill or Davies back to do the Admiral bit, and hiring no-names to work scale for the rest of it, probably at a total cost of $500K. The original idea never included Oldman, Anderson, Serkis, etc. It's $500K vs. $10M or whatever. He could have kept his promise for $500K and used that $9.5M on the game, IMO. There was no need to be this extravagant.
We have no idea how much it cost. For all we know the actors in question were fans of the game and did it at a discount rate - speculation is speculation. It's fair to assume that several millions dollars was spent but that's not unusual for a AAA game. Every aspect of the game has expanded in scope since the $5m mark and it makes complete sense that the cast would too, especially when that is so important to marketing the game when it is eventually released.

Without knowing how much was spent and how much that benefited the game it's hard to come to any meaningful conclusion. The only thing we can say with confidence is that Hollywood grade acting was promised to backers and has been delivered. Chris Roberts has a history of using top talent for his games and I certainly expected that even before the stretch goal was announced. It's like a Hollywood film - sure you can pick lots of talented no-name actors but that's not going to have the same appeal or gravitas as a top-tier cast.

News Comments > GeForce Experience Users to Get Drivers First?
18. Re: GeForce Experience Users to Get Drivers First? Oct 16, 2015, 12:06 theyarecomingforyou

nVidia drivers are often available on third-party websites before they even appear on the nVidia website, so I'm not concerned about this. For most people this will be convenient. I update my drivers through Geforce Experience because it's more convenient. The only thing that's slightly scummy is requiring a valid email address, as you know they'll sell that on or spam you.  

244. Re: Star Citizen Star Cast Revealed Oct 16, 2015, 08:48 theyarecomingforyou

Kxmode wrote on Oct 14, 2015, 02:09:
Gary Oldman sends his appreciation to Star Citizens.
I hadn't seen that. It's reassuring to hear that he wants to come back, which presumably means he isn't one of the characters killed off.

146. Re: Star Citizen Has 1M Backers; More Get Alpha Access Oct 15, 2015, 22:15 theyarecomingforyou

jdreyer wrote on Oct 15, 2015, 16:25:
I would rather have had that extra $5M be spent on developing 20 or 30 extra systems for the persistent universe than on name actors. Or extending the story another 20 or 30 missions. Or a bunch of extra ships and weapons. Or some extra gameplay mechanics. It's a GAME after all, not a movie.
The thing is the higher calibre cast will probably pay for itself in extra exposure for the game, so it's not a simply equation as you claim. If spending an extra $5m on talent brings in an extra $10m from backers then it's a sensible investment. More importantly, the game promised A-list actors as an early stretch goal.

Kxmode wrote on Oct 15, 2015, 14:40:
Is it okay to mention this?
To be honest I'd rather avoid hearing about Derek Smart altogether, even if the information only supports what I already knew about him. But I respect you for at least trying.

Kxmode wrote on Oct 15, 2015, 18:29:
Yeah. I thought so too. I was familiar with the battle between Derek and the Usenet forums, but I wasn't aware of all the details. What Bill helped me understand in his summary are the apparent double standards. For example I think it's very unfair to criticize CIG for taking 4-5 years to develop Star Citizen (a game with much greater level of complexity) and yet his game took 8 years to the point Take2 forced a release. Craziness
For me the delays we've seen for Star Citizen are disappointing but I'm only concerned about the end product. As the CitizenCon intro highlighted they only had 40 staff when they released the hangar module, which is a fraction of what most developers working on a AAA title have. It took a further year to build up to 150 staff and only this year did they break 200. Considering the scale of the project it's not surprising that they fell behind, especially when the fidelity of the project increased due to the success of the project. What I will say is that CIG needs to deliver a LOT over the next year, especially as the infrastructure is now in place. And it needs to prioritise playable content, which has so far been underwhelming.

PS - CIG has uploaded an enhanced version of the CitizenCon presentation at 60fps, which I highly recommend people check out. I tried watching the previous version from the stream but that was very poor quality.

126. Re: Star Citizen Has 1M Backers; More Get Alpha Access Oct 15, 2015, 07:44 theyarecomingforyou

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 14, 2015, 21:26:
Well said, but there is still no excuse for the pants you wore at culticon.
You mean furry neon trousers aren't your thing?

Here are a few other pics of me with Chris, Erin, Sandi and Allie. There's one of me with Dave Haddock somewhere, just can't find it at the moment. Ignore my gormless smile.

Kxmode wrote on Oct 14, 2015, 21:59:
However in the interest of helping to bring peace to these forums I'd like to formally apologize for the ridiculous estimate I made earlier.
Thank you. I think we've both got carried away over this and there is some common ground because we both have legitimate concerns about the game and its development.

Kxmode wrote on Oct 14, 2015, 21:59:
I've made repeated comments in the past that I do not dislike the game or hate it. I actually hope the game comes out. I'm not a troll, I'm a critic. A "Black Knight" critic. There's a huge difference between my level of criticism and Derek Smart's. We do not share the same ideology. As gamers, you and I, both want the same thing. We both want Star Citizen to succeed and be released. I just have a different perspective than you.
I don't have any tolerance for Derek Smart's absurd allegations. Most of his claims are demonstrably false or impossible to substantiate. There are plenty of legitimate concerns that can be brought up without referencing him and his trolling campaign. I think you'd do better to avoid mentioning him at all.

jdreyer wrote on Oct 15, 2015, 03:33:
Right, as an admiral, I assume we'll see him in some briefings and communications, not walking around the Stanton like most of the other characters. I'd be surprised if he had to work more than a couple of weeks.
This. Most of the characters you interact with will be lesser known actors with more screen time. The A-list actors are usually more prominent and critical to the narrative but have less actual scenes.

105. Re: Star Citizen Has 1M Backers; More Get Alpha Access Oct 14, 2015, 21:08 theyarecomingforyou

Cutter wrote on Oct 14, 2015, 17:24:
Rockstar doesn't wast bank on big name actors. The guys doing their games - main parts - get 150k for several months work and they're doing a bit better than OK. CIG has wasted at least 10 mil on this, at least. And that's why no one in the industry who knows Roberts and his track record would give him dime one from the start.
So? Chris Roberts has a history of using Hollywood actors and it was an early pledge goal. It's literally what backers want. There's plenty to criticise about the game but you can't criticise Chris Roberts for providing what backers want, which is a top-level cast. That's like criticising the game for not being on console where it could make more money when it was specifically sold as a PC game. That's without even pointing out that a quality cast can increase interest in a game, just like a quality licenced soundtrack can help a game like GTA.

Kxmode wrote on Oct 14, 2015, 20:00:
Yeah I think your numbers are definitely closer than mine. Thanks for sharing your numbers instead of ripping me to shreds.
When you make retarded estimates, like claiming that $37m is a 'conservative estimate', then prepare to be ripped to shreds. You've done nothing but troll the game and I find it amusing that you don't like being criticised when you're obviously wrong.

Kxmode wrote on Oct 14, 2015, 20:11:
Okay, now you're just being vindictive and acrimonious. I wrote "I've decided to try and be factual as much as possible" and "The bottom line is that I am a Black Knight critic of CIG but I'm not a "Legion Of Derek™" supporter as you claim me to be. Being a critic of CIG isn't mutually exclusive to wanting to see them fail. Far from it. I want them to succeed. I think if they succeed it will be wonderful for many reasons. It's absolutely healthy for CIG to have critics.
You're not a critic, you're a troll. You attack the game relentlessly, repeating baseless claims and pulling bullshit numbers out of your ass. You have absolutely no interest in the game succeeding, only in parroting the outrageous propaganda of the Legion Of Derek™. If you were 'trying to be factual' then you wouldn't be claiming that the acting budget was more than many Hollywood films in their entirety.

You know the money Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy? It starred Gary Oldman, Colin Firth, Tom Hardy, John Hurt and Benedict Cumberbatch to name a few. That's a pretty impressive cast. The budget? A measly $21m - that's not just the cast budget, that's what the entire film cost to make. Yet your zealotry made you think that $37m was a perfectly reasonable 'conservative estimate'. You talk nothing but shit and I WILL call you out on it, even if it hurts your feelings.

If you want me to believe you're a reasonable person then you have to demonstrate that. To start you should apologise for the ridiculous estimate you made earlier and acknowledge you pulled it out your ass because of your dislike of the game. People make mistakes but they can be corrected. For my part I'll apologise for my hyperbolic attacks against you - I can obviously take things too far and I'm not oblivious to my own personality defects.

63. Re: Star Citizen Has 1M Backers; More Get Alpha Access Oct 14, 2015, 14:34 theyarecomingforyou

jdreyer wrote on Oct 14, 2015, 14:03:
These estimates are way off. I researched most of these people over the weekend.

Oldman gets paid $2-10M per film. Assume his role is limited in SC and he made $2M (although he probably only worked for 2 weeks and made half that)
Hamill is hardly an A-lister. $500K
Mark Strong is a character actor that typically makes between $500K and $1M per film. Let's assume $1M
Anderson only makes $100K per episode of Hannibal and The Fall. Assume she made $500K here.
Serkis was paid $5M for Dawn of the Apes, but that isn't his typical salary. He was in the drivers seat for a movie everyone knew would make $700M. His typical salary is $1M per film.

So for your top 5, that would be $5M. The estimates I've seen have put the cost for these actors between $8-11M. So $5M for the top people, and another 3-6M for everyone else. Of the bottom half of the list, only Mendelsohn is in demand enough right now to probably get $1M. Cunningham and Davies probably get $5K, and everyone else is between $2-4K.
Exactly. The entire budget of Chappie - which starred Hugh Jackman and Sigourney Weaver - was $49m, yet we're expected to believe that CIG spent nearly $40m just on actors? That's patently absurd.

The concerning thing is that I think Kxmode actually believes the bullshit he pedals. Unfortunately it's what you have to expect from Legion Of Derek™ zealots, who have demonstrated utter contempt for evidence and reason. They state conjecture and speculation as fact and then act outraged when anybody dares question them. It would be funny if it didn't raise serious questions about their mental competence.

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Open Beta Extended One Day
53. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Open Beta Extended One Day Oct 13, 2015, 08:12 theyarecomingforyou

InBlack wrote on Oct 13, 2015, 03:38:
Nuhauser wrote on Oct 12, 2015, 19:05:
Is complaining about not being able to choose a server or see your ping not allowed anymore? That's what I find unforgivable in this otherwise fun game. I don't like when my avatar freezes for 3 seconds and then dies. I also find it annoying when I hit someone 10 times and they hit me twice and I die. Sure, it's great when it's the other way around. Taking out 3 people in a row who can't even see me because of the difference in our ping has nothing to do with my skill though, and just makes the game feel cheap. Give me a server browser so I can select based on ping and I might buy. As it is, it just seems like a random "fish in a barrel" simulator half the time.

No server browser? Not even a PING counter? How the fuck can they get away with this shit???!!! Fuck EA a million times. May they be impaled on a giant Reaper cock and suffer a million years. Needless to say, even after Slick's very slick and attractive few positive posts, Im not touching this with a 10 foot pole.
This isn't aimed at gamers, it's aimed at the casual audience. This isn't meant to be competing with Battlefield 4. When you consider it for what it is it's pretty decent, especially for an EA game.

It's astonishing how jaded some of the people around here are.

230. Re: Star Citizen Star Cast Revealed Oct 13, 2015, 06:46 theyarecomingforyou

The Escapist cannot be trusted as a source. It has used anonymous comments from Glassdoor before in relation to Carbine Studios and which were refuted by employees of the company.

Kxmode wrote on Oct 12, 2015, 21:18:
Check this out!

Escapist article: CS7 indicated that Cloud Imperium Games Montreal entered into a joint venture partnership with Turbulent to continue to develop and sell the crowdfunding platform that was built for Star Citizen to other companies - and that backer money was being used for this project.

They didn't even bother hiding this. It's all out there.

October 7, 2014 – Marc Beaudet (CEO of Turbulent) writes “We thank Cloud Imperium Games for taking a risk with us and for contributing conceptually and commercially to making HEAP C3MS fantastic for content monetization.”

April 7th, 2014 – TURBULENT’s HEAP C3MS platform was recently selected by Behaviour Interactive for the development of their Warhammer 40,000 Eternal Crusade Pre-order Founders Program store and their new website which will be unveiled next spring during E3.

So the Backers basically gave CIG money to develop a game, who then funded the development of a crowdfunding/preorder platform with Turbulent (Star Citizen’s webmasters) that Behaviour (also working on Star Citizen) then took and used for Warhammer 40,000 Eternal Crusade; another game that's not Star Citizen or Star Citizen related.
We don't know the terms. For instance, Turbulent may have developed it for a lower price on the basis that they could licence it to other developers - that would BENEFIT backers. Even if that wasn't the case, backers funded a system needed for the game. It really doesn't matter who else it was licenced to as it was something CIG needed. I see the Legion Of Derek™ is getting pretty desperate. You haven't demonstrate harm to backers.

Hire a hooker and stop taking out your sexual frustration on Star Citizen.

6551 Comments. 328 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo