Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonas Taylor

Real Name Jonas Taylor   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname theyarecomingforyou
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 8, 2005, 11:25
Total Comments 6102 (Guru)
User ID 22891

User comment history
< Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

News Comments > RAGE Mod Tools Still Coming
5. Re: RAGE Mod Tools Still Coming Oct 24, 2012, 22:06 theyarecomingforyou

Beelzebud wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 21:47:
This should really excite all 3 people that have the 20gb game still taking up space on their hard drive.
Does anybody actually uninstall games these days? I've got over 550 games on Steam and I keep them all installed - that includes RAGE. I have 40Mbit broadband and I'd still rather not have to wait the twenty minutes it takes to download most games when I could just keep them installed.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > RAGE Mod Tools Still Coming
3. Re: RAGE Mod Tools Still Coming Oct 24, 2012, 22:00 theyarecomingforyou

They focused on Doom 3 BFG instead of RAGE? I knew sales were bad but for them to focus on rehashing a dated, mediocre game instead of DLC and mod tools for their recent flagship speaks volumes.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Hits Kickstarter Goal
36. Re: Star Citizen Hits Kickstarter Goal Oct 24, 2012, 15:56 theyarecomingforyou

While I really love the video presentation and think the game looks awesome I'll pass on funding it at this stage, as unlike most of these Kickstarter projects there is no mention it will be released through Steam. I'm happy to pay full price if it turns out properly (which I'm sure it will) and if it's released on Steam. The reason for this is that I have games on other digital services and it's irritating having to deal with lots of different accounts and clients (in addition to Steam I have accounts with Origin, GamersGate, GMG, GOG, Impulse/Gamestop, Desura and Battle.net).

As for the previous games, I really enjoyed the Wing Commander series - especially WC4 and Prophecy. My favourite Chris Robert's game has to be Starlancer, which I still consider to be up there with Tie Fighter. However, I was really disappointed by Freelancer - the gameplay felt horribly off, the graphics were pretty disappointing and it didn't have the sense of scale that Starlancer did (even though Freelancer offered a bigger universe and more to do outside of the ship). It certainly had a great vision but the implementation was pretty poor.

News Comments > DiRT 4 Hints?
6. Re: DiRT 4 Hints? Oct 24, 2012, 15:08 theyarecomingforyou

Trevellian wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 09:56:
They lost my interest in the series when they added the Gymkhana bullshit and made it a mandatory part of the Championship/Season. It's unfortunate because Dirt 3 did do other things right, like clean up the menu screen, make the game less about the "Xtreme" feeling. But Gymkhana... sucked balls.
Yeah, I agree completely. They even included it in DiRT Showdown, which was an absolutely bizarre move. It seems they're trying to make every game appeal to everyone and it just dilutes the experience. Gymkhana just isn't any fun to me and was a backwards step from the drift events that featured in GRID.

I enjoyed DiRT3 but it was just more of the same - it improved some areas but went backwards in others. Graphically it did nothing new. If DiRT4 is more of the same then I'll pass. Heck, even if it's an improvement I'll almost certainly wait for a sale because I already own DiRT3 and DiRT Showdown. They need to do something radical with the series or simply put it on the backburner for a while, like they did with GRID.

News Comments > NVIDIA Beta Drivers
9. Re: NVIDIA Beta Drivers Oct 24, 2012, 07:46 theyarecomingforyou

John wrote on Oct 23, 2012, 23:25:
Wow, you have dual GTX680 cards in SLI? Is one not enough for any game to run with all graphics set to max? I got one GTX660 and it runs everything smooth as silk.
I game at 2560x1600 at maximum settings, so while a single card is fine for many games there are many that struggle to maintain 60fps (Crysis 2, Metro 2033, Alan Wake, The Witcher 2, Batman: Arkham City). I initially bought just the one card. I've also got them both overclocked.

I'm disappointed that multi-GPU setups are so flaky and involve a lot of manual tweaks to get games working but the resulting experience in-game is worth it for me, as I've always been a PC enthusiast. Without SLI there is simply no way to game at 2560x1600 at 60fps with maximum settings.

News Comments > Original DOOM 3 Off Steam
8. Re: Original DOOM 3 Off Steam Oct 23, 2012, 22:11 theyarecomingforyou

Anybody that wanted to buy the original Doom 3 had plenty of opportunity to do so and it remains in the Steam library for those who have already bought it. That said, there is no good reason to remove it.

It's disappointing that they didn't simply release it for free for existing users. Sure they offered a discount but it's still absurdly expensive for such an old game. More importantly they apparently removed dynamic lighting, which was one of the biggest features of the game - that's because of changes made for console and because they incorporated elements of idTech5 (the disastrous RAGE engine).

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned
5. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned Oct 23, 2012, 22:03 theyarecomingforyou

It took me a while to figure out that the terrible performance I was getting was related to SLI, which more than halved my framerate. I tried the new drivers released today but they didn't help.

It's hard to know who to blame for situations like this but I hold nVidia and Firaxis equally to blame. If a game doesn't support SLI properly then it should disable it - I shouldn't have to do that manually.

News Comments > NVIDIA Beta Drivers
1. Re: NVIDIA Beta Drivers Oct 23, 2012, 22:00 theyarecomingforyou

I was hoping these would address SLI performance, as with SLI enabled I get less than 30fps - disabled I get 60fps. Unfortunately they're exactly the same. It astounds me how shit like this gets through driver and game testing. I had similar issues with DIRT: Showdown and had to manually edit the SLI profile to get proper performance; Borderlands 2 didn't support it out of the box; it took several updates for The Witcher 2 to perform properly; the F1 2012 demo was completely broken; Civilization V has issues with nVidia's auto-downclocking (it drops clock speed if you stay in the same location - then when you move it stutters while the clock speed ramps up).

In fact I had less trouble with the Crossfire setup I had previously, though I still prefer nVidia overall (marginally).

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Elemental: Fallen Enchantress
47. Re: Ships Ahoy - Elemental: Fallen Enchantress Oct 23, 2012, 21:41 theyarecomingforyou

hatman13 wrote on Oct 23, 2012, 21:34:
My original point was to help you. You see - most people with a modicum of internet savvy realize that dropping the H-bomb makes you look like a hysterical shrill troll completely devoid of credibility.
For what it's worth I consider Brad Wardell and the holocaust to be equally abhorrent; there's really not much in it.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Elemental: Fallen Enchantress
38. Re: Ships Ahoy - Elemental: Fallen Enchantress Oct 23, 2012, 20:38 theyarecomingforyou

I refuse to buy any more Stardock games due to Brad being a complete knob-jockey.  

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Adding Color Grading Removal Option
13. Re: Battlefield 3 Adding Color Grading Removal Option Oct 21, 2012, 08:35 theyarecomingforyou

It's great that they're adding it as an option but it's pretty ridiculous to bury it as a console command instead of adding it as an option in-game.  

News Comments > Cyberpunk Becomes Cyberpunk 2077
8. Re: Cyberpunk Becomes Cyberpunk 2077 Oct 19, 2012, 09:09 theyarecomingforyou

Sempai wrote on Oct 18, 2012, 21:12:
Is it too much to hope for them to create a usable inventory and UI this time around?
I didn't have any issues with The Witcher 2 UI - it was certainly a huge improvement from the previous game. Hopefully this game will continue that trend.

PS - They need to sort out Steam updates for The Witcher 2, as it downloaded 16GB of data to add Mac compatibility. This isn't the first time they've had an excessively large patch.

News Comments > Firm Says Steam URLs Exploitable
12. Re: Firm Says Steam URLs Exploitable Oct 17, 2012, 12:41 theyarecomingforyou

Verno wrote on Oct 17, 2012, 12:19:
They probably notified Valve but didn't get a response back, they are notoriously difficult to contact at times.
If that was the case then they almost certainly would have mentioned that. This strikes me as a very bad way to address legitimate security concerns. It sounds like a company trying to make a name for itself by whatever means possible.

That said, Valve needs to address this promptly.

News Comments > King's Bounty: Warriors of the North This Month
6. Re: King's Bounty: Warriors of the North This Month Oct 16, 2012, 12:13 theyarecomingforyou

PHJF wrote on Oct 16, 2012, 11:45:
It's $27. Don't be a cheap ass.
In the UK it's $36, which I feel is too much for what is essentially an expansion pack. The original game had over 60hrs of content, yet I only got out 30hrs out of Armored Princess with the Crossworlds expansion. My concern is that it will be the same with Warriors Of The North.

I'm a huge fan of the series but the price point is just too high.

News Comments > King's Bounty: Warriors of the North This Month
1. Re: King's Bounty: Warriors of the North This Month Oct 16, 2012, 10:41 theyarecomingforyou

I'll wait for it to go on sale but I'll definitely be picking this up at some point. I loved the previous games.  

News Comments > Steam Greenlights 21 More Games
19. Re: Steam Greenlights 21 More Games Oct 16, 2012, 09:16 theyarecomingforyou

Prez wrote on Oct 15, 2012, 22:27:
I wish people would realize I don't buy every game on Steam. I would NOT own Snuggle Truck right now if Creston the smartass hadn't bought it for me. ;)
That's nothing. For some reason I own Secret Of The Magic Crystals - a game about petting horses and unicorns. It must have been in some bundle or other because my brother owns it as well and neither of us had even heard of it before.

Jerykk wrote on Oct 15, 2012, 23:09:
I don't really see the point of downvoting games. How does their presence on Steam hurt you? You don't have to play them. By downvoting, you're just reducing the chances of those games being available to those that actually do want to play them.
Firstly, downvoting games removes them from your queue - that's necessary if you want to vote for every game on Greenlight (as I have done). Secondly, if I have no interest in buying a game then of course I'm going to downvote it. Thirdly, a downvote doesn't count against a product. However, I'll upvote games I have no intention of buying if I consider them to be quality products. As for the harm, I consider crappy games to be detrimental to the Steam platform and I don't want crappy indie games appearing alongside games I'm actually interested in.

Steam should have a quality threshold to prevent damage to the brand - that applies to big publishers as well. The Iron Man game - which scores a whopping 32 on Metacritic - used to be available on Steam but was removed, no doubt because so many users were having problems with it. That said, I'm all for Steam supporting indie games via a sub-store - I'm all for choice, I just don't want to see a thousand shitty indie games I have no intention of playing cluttering up the Steam store when I'm more interested in games like Dishonored or Borderlands 2. Unlike traditional titles an indie store would benefit from a high level of user involvement, so you could have users voting for which titles appear on the front page or which go on sale next.

News Comments > Prey 2 "In Limbo"
8. Re: Prey 2 Oct 16, 2012, 09:00 theyarecomingforyou

Kajetan wrote on Oct 16, 2012, 01:57:
Wildone wrote on Oct 16, 2012, 01:26:
FUCK THIS lets have another MW3 YAWWW!!!!!!
As if Prey 2 is soooooo original. They canned everything which made Prey 1 so refreshing and replaced it with some standard shooter elements.
Did you watch the gameplay trailer? It certainly didn't look like a standard shooter to me.

News Comments > Steam Greenlights 21 More Games
9. Re: Steam Greenlights 21 More Games Oct 15, 2012, 21:37 theyarecomingforyou

I was excited when Greenlight was first announced, particularly after seeing some excellent concepts - The Stanley Parable, Black Mesa, Slingshot Racing and Flowstorm look great. Unfortunately most of the games that get approved look beyond terrible and I think they weaken the Steam brand. They really need to separate them from the main store, just as they need to do with apps - at the very minimum they need a filter option, like they do with downloadable content.  

News Comments > Prey 2 "In Limbo"
2. Re: Prey 2 Oct 15, 2012, 21:20 theyarecomingforyou

Can't say I'm surprised. It's a shame though as the gameplay trailer looked pretty promising.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
38. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 15, 2012, 15:47 theyarecomingforyou

JoeNapalm wrote on Oct 15, 2012, 12:17:
Did...did you just posit the theory that checkpoints are better than an actual save game system?

Sir, I'm with the PC Police. I'm going to have to ask you to turn in your keyboard and mouse. And, unfortunately, I'm going to have to tase you. Repeatedly.[/quote
uicksaving is like a built-in cheat system and considerably reduces the difficulty of a game. When you're able to save the game freely it destroys the tension, particularly in a game like Dishonored where a small mistake can compromise a stealth-based approach. PC gaming always used to be about the challenge, not bashing F5 just so you don't have to replay the last couple of minutes.

Quicksave systems destroy immersion and take away any consequence for your actiosn. Checkpoints are one alternative, though they're far from perfect themselves. Limited rewind systems like Prince Of Persia: Sands Of Time or GRID are an innovative solution to the problem but aren't suited to every game. I think a lot more needs to be done. Far Cry 2 had a good system whereby you could save at special locations, though on the PC they avoided any controversy by implementing quicksave as well.

I'm an avid PC gamer and have been for decades but I reject the notion that PC games have to feature quicksaves. I think it's as ridiculous as the notion that proper PC games have healthpacks, which are just as ludicrous as regenerating health - Far Cry 2 had a very good compromise with segmented health-regen and micro-healthpacks. We need innovation, not stagnation.

6102 Comments. 306 pages. Viewing page 35.
< Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo