Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonas Taylor

Real Name Jonas Taylor   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname theyarecomingforyou
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 8, 2005, 11:25
Total Comments 6345 (Guru)
User ID 22891

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Cloud Imperium on Star Citizen Refunds
57. Re: Cloud Imperium on Star Citizen Refunds Jul 15, 2015, 07:42 theyarecomingforyou

Malvok wrote on Jul 15, 2015, 07:16:
I really haven't been following this game much other than seeing post after post mentioning it blasting past funding goals over and over. I always wondered how the game would ever be finished if it kept adding more and more features so they could tack on another funding goal.
The stretch goals were stopped last year and most were only minor features that were going to be added anyway. The delays are unrelated to that.

Malvok wrote on Jul 15, 2015, 07:16:
What's the state of the game now? Is it playable and generally complete as originally described?
The game is nowhere near complete. At the moment there is Arena Commander, which features the basics for space flight - an AI swarm mode, multiplayer and co-op. There is also a racing mode. New mechanics are being added to it, with component and physical armour being the next additions (currently they're both approximated). There is a lot of concern regarding the balance of control methods (particularly HOTAS and mouse) and many users, nearly all on joystick, are unhappy - CIG has stated that they're actively working on it and changes will be tested in future builds.

The FPS module was due a couple of months ago but was delayed because of netcode issues. It is expected soon, probably next month for Gamescom. That will make a lot of changes to the game and is a substantial addition. After that we'll see the social module, which adds the basics for planets - landing zones, shops, AI characters, etc. It is due 'shortly' after the FPS module, so realistically about Sep - Oct. AC2.0, which includes multi-crew functionality, is due this summer so I'd guess we'll see it around Nov time.

Squadron 42, the singleplayer component, is due out at the end of this year but based on the delays there's no way that will be on target. We know from the asset leak the other month that a lot of work has been done on it, more than has been shown publicly. I'd expect a minimum delay of 6 months.

A lot of content has been shown and regular reports are made on the progress - the development process is remarkably open - but it's no secret that the game is considerably behind schedule. However, the fidelity and scope of the project has increased and the final game should be better as a result. I think that's a fair and honest appraisal of the situation.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > No Star Wars Battlefront Split Screen on PC
45. Re: No Star Wars Battlefront Split Screen on PC Jul 15, 2015, 06:38 theyarecomingforyou

Steele Johnson wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 23:30:
The SteamMachine just got the shaft with this one.
EA doesn't release games on Steam, so I don't see how this changes anything.

53. Re: Cloud Imperium on Star Citizen Refunds Jul 15, 2015, 06:29 theyarecomingforyou

Kajetan wrote on Jul 15, 2015, 04:48:
InBlack wrote on Jul 15, 2015, 02:35:
Im not sure there are any legal options if people want their money back. Those 'pledges' count as donations right? Even the ship sales, count as 'pledges', which count as donations. So how do you legally claim that money as anything that is owed back to you? RSI are opening a pandora's box by giving Derek his money back, they themselves state that legally they are NOT required to give back refunds. So which is it??
Donations can (!) be given back, if the donee does not want a particular donation. Or the doner can convince the donee, that there is an emergeny and he utterly needs the money back. Maybe, after you got unemployed and need money more than ship packages in your hangar for several thousand dollar.

Standard practice, nothing special.
Exactly. Politicians accept all sorts of dodgy donations and return them when they become politically disadvantageous.

@Zandog - That's a good summary.

52. Re: Cloud Imperium on Star Citizen Refunds Jul 15, 2015, 06:24 theyarecomingforyou

harlock wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 22:37:
exactly. you are the posterchild for a SC fanboy. you are too lazy to use your brain, too weak to attempt it, too pathetic to admit the truth

hey everybody - ever wonder why SC has become such a clusterfuck?

MYSTERY SOLVED
Of course I'm a fan of the game - that goes without saying. But I've also been very critical about elements I don't like. Liking something doesn't blind me to its problems and faults.

CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 22:43:
Uuuhhh if he jumped in with a high pledge at the very beginning (I did that, too) then how was that foolish? Early backers like myself could not be sure that the game would even be made so it made perfect sense to show some serious support and help it over the initial minimum goal and also chase after some of the early stretch goals (you know, the ones that still made sense before all the feature creep hell took over).
They shouldn't have pledged more than they were willing to lose. Simple.

CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 22:43:
I'd say that your approach was MUCH dumber. You pledged more (in the hundreds) when the game already had a massive multi-million $$$ budget and you pledged based on being shown pretty pictures at marketing events. You call that smart? Laugh2
I pledged based on what was playable and on the work that had already been done. So yes, that absolutely is smart.

Cutter wrote on Jul 15, 2015, 01:41:
It sounds more like you mad at yourself for getting conned. Honestly, giving someone a grand up front on something sight unseen? You really shouldn't expect any sympathy from anyone. As others have said you can try and sell your account - but I wouldn't count on it at this point as the negativity around this scam is only increasing, or sue them in small claims. Either way, you constantly bitching about it around here isn't going to do anything.
Nail + Head. Not everyone is going to like the game and backing early has risks. I backed two other Kickstarters, Broken Age and Wasteland 2, and wasn't especially impressed with either. However, I knew that was a potential going in and accepted that. Kxmode isn't annoyed at Chris Roberts for making a game according to his vision - he's annoyed at himself for getting caught up in it and is projecting that.

Nearly a million people have backed the game and it's obvious that CIG can't possibly cater it to everybody. Some want a casual experience, others a hardcore sim. Some want the game to be DX12 / Win 10 exclusive (yes, there's a topic about making it compulsory on the forums) and others want Win 7 / 8 to be supported. Some want the game to have paid subscriptions, others vehemently oppose it. Some want instakill stealth melee, others oppose it. It's obvious to any rational person that not every decision made will be to their own liking - it can't possibly be.

Original accounts are highly sought after and can be sold for a lot more than they cost. If you want to get out of the game you can.

36. Re: Cloud Imperium on Star Citizen Refunds Jul 14, 2015, 22:37 theyarecomingforyou

I think it's worth pointing out that Derek Smart didn't submit a request for a refund. CIG used a clause in the ToS to reject his backing and refund his money. This isn't an open door policy for other people to get refunds.  

35. Re: Cloud Imperium on Star Citizen Refunds Jul 14, 2015, 22:34 theyarecomingforyou

harlock wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 22:33:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 22:22:
This move is a bad one, something that even CIG recognises, but Derek Smart is a professional troll and sometimes the only recourse is to give in and deprive him of the grounds he has to complain.

are you still living on planet earth? are you guys that fucking gullible that it extends to every facet of your outlook on life? ok - i guess its not quite that broad but still, derek smart is a known quantity around here, so step back for a second and ask yourself whether this will honestly have ANY effect whatsoever beyond further ammunition for the taco commander? like, actually use your fucking brains for a second here
Meh. Don't care.

33. Re: Cloud Imperium on Star Citizen Refunds Jul 14, 2015, 22:22 theyarecomingforyou

Kxmode wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 21:02:
Wait a second. I sent them an email with legitimate proof showing how I was basically conned out of $930 bucks. Are they not going to look at my case? Is this their blanket statement to tell EVERYONE - including people with legitimate claims - to stop asking?

What country do I live in where this is legal? Even credit card companies don't do stuff like this. I was lied to multiple times by Chris Roberts, and I believed what he said. I trusted him at his word so much so that I was willing give CIG $930 of my money. Here's the thing, Derek Smart is a very wealthy person; he has millions. I don't, and yet I backed Star Citizen for 3x what Derek backed for and yet they gave him his "hush" money back.

I just want a refund.
So that's why you troll every Star Citizen topic! I've pledged over $500 which I consider a lot but that includes multiple copies and upgrades for relatives, merchandise and a ticket for Citizen Con. However, I realise that there are no guarantees and that the game could turn out to be terrible. I don't go into a rage every time a decision is made that I don't agree with.

My original pledge was the minimum - $37, I believe. I liked the video but realised it was a gamble. When Arena Commander came out and I played the game I increased my pledge. I did so again after seeing footage for the FPS and social modules. I didn't jump in with a massive pledge. If you did that was frankly foolish; if you didn't I simply don't understand your position.

Release dates changes. Plans change. That was stated from the start. Here's the pledge:

Youíve pledged your money to earn your Citizenship.

Now itís our turn.

We, the Star Citizen team at Cloud Imperium, hereby promise to deliver the game you expect. You, the tens of thousands of pledgers, have allowed us to cut out the big publisher and build the game on our terms. To let us focus on quality free of the pressure to deliver by a certain financial quarter. To nurture a new original IP. To put fun ahead of shareholder profits.

We, the Developer, intend to treat you with the same respect we would give a publisher. You will receive regular updates about the progress of the game. We will do a show and tell for each major milestone. Your voice will be heard and represented in our development docs and our feature wish list. You will see art and video and learn about how we intend to implement gameplay mechanics well before the rest of the world. The website will be updated and the community will be maintained. Though the limitations of technology may slow us, we will always do the best for you: if it breaks, we will fix it.

There may be delays and there may be changes; we recognize that such things are inevitable and would be lying to you if we claimed otherwise. But when this happens, we will treat you with the respect you deserve rather than spending your money on public relations. When we need to change a mechanic or alter something you believe should be in the game, we will tell you exactly why.

Your support over the past month has been incredible. Youíve done your part, and we will now do our utmost to live up to your expectations. We will build you the game you are dreaming about.

Signed,
Chris Roberts and the Cloud Imperium Team

If you weren't happy with the risk you shouldn't have backed the game. Fortunately for you it's easy to sell your account and maybe even make some money. I suggest you do, then wash that sand out of your vagina.

This move is a bad one, something that even CIG recognises, but Derek Smart is a professional troll and sometimes the only recourse is to give in and deprive him of the grounds he has to complain. Is that fair on other fans who want a refund? Absolutely not. It sucks.

Should CIG offer refunds to those who want them? Yes and no. Yes because the people complaining are unhappy and creating a lot of bad publicity - the game has changed and some people might feel aggrieved. No because it was made clear from the start that it was a pledge and that delays and changes were inevitable - people should have known exactly what they were buying into. Not only that but it makes development impossible, as funding could be withdrawn at any point and for any reason.

When Derek Smart is involved there is no winning. It's a zero sum game.

PS - Watching the video for the latest DS game is fucking hilarious. He should be thoroughly ashamed. He's selling that shit and complaining about SC? Hilarious.

32. Re: No Star Wars Battlefront Split Screen on PC Jul 14, 2015, 15:47 theyarecomingforyou

SpectralMeat wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 15:05:
Orogogus wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 14:49:
I think The Cave and most of the Lego games aren't split screen, everyone just shares a single screen.
The newer lego games (ones that came out in the last 3-4 years) are split screen
For Trine I think you have to coop on the same screen anyways, no need split screen for that.
Does Grid 2 have demo derby mode like Grid 1 had? That would be kick ass in split screen
Can't remember, but DiRT Showdown does and the turbo boosts make it great fun.

News Comments > CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns
158. Re: CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns Jul 14, 2015, 14:13 theyarecomingforyou

Flatline wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 13:53:
There's an implication here that if the game crashes and burns and fails on all levels to connect that it's basically the backers' fault for giving them so much money and creating such an unreachable obligation.
I don't agree. The game has expanded in scope because of support from backers, as most of the pledges were given after the addition of extra features. That has led to some delays. If the game crashes and burns then that's entirely on CIG.

20. Re: No Star Wars Battlefront Split Screen on PC Jul 14, 2015, 14:10 theyarecomingforyou

SpectralMeat wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 13:22:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 13:07:
Not that I ever buy any EA games - I boycott them on principle.
I've heard Chris Roberts is teaming up with EA because he is running out of money and needed a publisher to finish Star Citizen
Hehe, why do you hurt me so?!

Orogogus wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 13:44:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 13:07:
I often play splitscreen with friends on PC (GRID 2, Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, etc).

Anything besides racing games? Kind of curious.
They're just the games that have support. Splitscreen is unfortunately rare.

14. Re: No Star Wars Battlefront Split Screen on PC Jul 14, 2015, 13:07 theyarecomingforyou

What the hell? If there's any platform where split-screen makes more sense it's the PC, where it's powerful to run it properly without massively downrezzing the assets.

It annoys me when features are removed on the more capable platform. I often play splitscreen with friends on PC (GRID 2, Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, etc). Dick move EA. Not that I ever buy any EA games - I boycott them on principle.

News Comments > Op Ed
69. Re: Op Ed Jul 14, 2015, 06:38 theyarecomingforyou

InBlack wrote on Jul 13, 2015, 07:55:
Jesus Christ, people ARE accusing him of fraud! Worse than that, they are accusing him of incompetence and greed!
And I'm sure there are people claiming he eats children too.

If he had kept the scope of the project along the original KS goals, we wouldnt be talking about any of this.
Of course we would. This project is so large that people will bitch and complain whatever happens. Some people want the FPS module to be like COD, others like Arma - there are regular arguments. At the moment there's an active discussion over whether there should be knives in-game and if they should be instakill.

Among other things Chris Roberts literaly said give me more money so I can build the game FASTER. That's what CR said, do you deny it?
Of course I don't deny it. The extra funding has helped increase the development speed of the game but the extra fidelity and features have delayed it. What people have a hard time accepting is that release dates are nothing more than educated guesses. This is something that affects most large projects.

From the very beginning Chris Roberts stated there could be delays. Here's a quote from that original pledge:

There may be delays and there may be changes; we recognize that such things are inevitable and would be lying to you if we claimed otherwise. But when this happens, we will treat you with the respect you deserve rather than spending your money on public relations. When we need to change a mechanic or alter something you believe should be in the game, we will tell you exactly why.

Notice how he states that delays and changes are INEVITABLE. But of course you don't care about that because it doesn't fit with your SC bashing.

News Comments > R.I.P.: Nintendo's Satoru Iwata
12. Re: R.I.P.: Nintendo's Satoru Iwata Jul 13, 2015, 11:43 theyarecomingforyou

Tavil wrote on Jul 13, 2015, 11:37:
The man just died this isn't the time to be critiquing Nintendo..
Nobody here knew him personally; nobody is disrespecting him. It seems his legacy at Nintendo is certainly worthy of discussion.

News Comments > R.I.P.: Nintendo's Satoru Iwata
9. Re: R.I.P.: Nintendo's Satoru Iwata Jul 13, 2015, 10:58 theyarecomingforyou

The Wii and DS were both big hits but the Wii U and 3DS were both disasters. Nintendo desperately tried to repeat the success of the previous generations. At this point they might very well end up going the way of Sega, only with a stronger catalogue of games.

As for his death, 55 is quite young to die.

News Comments > Op Ed
66. Re: Op Ed Jul 13, 2015, 07:27 theyarecomingforyou

Kxmode wrote on Jul 13, 2015, 00:21:
I would like to present the perfect video that sums up why many of us backed in the first place.

"the game on the low side was going to be about 14 million dollars to make and the high side, which is where we are at now, is going to be about 20 million"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vzlda0-XoY&t=490

We were gullible for believing Chris. Many of us just woke up sooner.
What does that have to do with anything? We know the game was originally going to be developed on a much smaller budget and was expanded because of the extra investment. If the game was being developed to the original scale and fidelity level people would be accusing him of fraud, of pocketing all the extra money.

I don't know about you but I care about DX12 support, I care about VR, I can about FPS boarding, I care about professional voice acting, I care about professional quality motion capture, I care about the extra ships (originally there were only going to be a handful), I care about enhanced modularity, I care about the new damage system, etc. Those things will make it a better game.

The game we're getting vastly exceeds the quality of the original pitch and will be all the better for it. Unfortunately that has resulted in significant delays. Most people agree that it's better to do the game right and it be delayed than to rush it to meet an arbitrary deadline. This is not the first game to be delayed, nor will it be the last.

The genre was dead before Star Citizen and now it has the chance to come back in style. We probably won't see another project like this for the next twenty years, so I'd rather they get it right.

News Comments > Op Ed
59. Re: Op Ed Jul 12, 2015, 21:34 theyarecomingforyou

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 12, 2015, 20:43:
Ok I'm satisfied with this, it states we will have private servers and to me that is the feature I want in this "Hypothetical game" :). Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA95r5b6rEM
Yeah, I've been following the game closely and if private servers had been removed I'd have heard about it. The forums would have gone ballistic.

We won't know until much closer to release exactly how private servers will operate but I imagine they'll be more than enough for what most people want.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
5. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jul 12, 2015, 17:44 theyarecomingforyou

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 12, 2015, 14:47:
IMO the news is additional but still murky details leaking of how Win 10 works in terms of cost. They sell 1 billion a month in Windows Licensing today.

Life of device isn't the meaning most were thinking (life of my current pc), you will probably be forced to pay for Windows 10 upgrades every 2-4 years that is their definition of life of device. Long enough that those waiting on getting Win 10 for free (first year) still won't see the first paid upgrade cycle.

So yes, the upgrade from Win7/8 to Win 10 is free, aka the draw, the forced upgrades at cost, the catch.
Microsoft has stated that Windows 10 won't be moving to a subscription model, so there won't be charges for updates. The 2-4 year lifecycle relates to accounting and was misconstrued by a very biased reporter. It's also worth noting that support typically only lasts for 2-4 years. For instance, Windows 8 support ends in 2016 - four years after release - but Windows 8.1 extends that support until 2018. Windows 10 will receive a major free update next year in the form of Redstone.

The reason Microsoft is releasing Windows 10 for free is to get people using the Windows Store, as it receives a 30% cut of all sales. It also unifies the userbase, as Microsoft has a major issue getting XP users to upgrade and faced the same problem with Windows 7. They'll still charge for new licences and businesses will still have to pay the megabucks for support contracts.

News Comments > Op Ed
55. Re: Op Ed Jul 12, 2015, 16:33 theyarecomingforyou

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 12, 2015, 14:21:
So player run servers are back in? I heard something like only Arena style fighting. The point is, if you own the server you own the rules at no cost, how easy or hard you make things will be up to you, but no money is involved. Will I be able to create a server for say 16 friends and have house rules and have a reasonably large area/planets etc to run around in?
As far as I'm aware the plan for private servers remains unchanged from the original pitch. You'll be able to run your own private servers but they won't have the depth of the PU, as that has a whole load of associated systems (economy simulator, matchmaking, organised events, dynamic AI, etc). They will be updated as new content comes out but after the PU. Private servers will also support modding, unlike the PU.

So based on what we know, yes you'll be able to have 16 friends on a server and have custom rules. You'll also have a large environment to play in.

News Comments > Op Ed
51. Re: Op Ed Jul 12, 2015, 12:56 theyarecomingforyou

harlock wrote on Jul 12, 2015, 11:06:
yeh the complete open world MMO is already done, and its playable - sure, ok
The game is more than just the Persistent Universe. That part comes after the rest of the game is in place. The PU is the sum of all the parts, which are playable as they're ready. The hangar module and flight module are already playable, the FPS module is due imminently and the social module shortly after that. Going forward there's Squadron 42 which is the singleplayer experience and the PU will incorporate all those elements. The PU alpha will likely launch next year and will continue to be developed until it is deemed ready to launch - it will be playable long before 2020 and you know it. All the way we've seen videos and documented evidence of the progress.

It's not even slightly comparable to DNF, which changed engines numerous times, was never playable, wasn't heard from for years at a time and had a completely opaque development. You're just a troll.

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 12, 2015, 11:12:
I just found your using the word imminently interesting. One persons indefinitely is another persons imminently. I'm not saying anyone is wrong either, just interesting. The game being playable I think is also interesting come to think of it, very rosey choice of words used.
Saying it's been delayed 'indefinitely' is misleading, as in development terms that usually means cancelled. Ben Lesnick has stated on the forums that the delay will be weeks, not months - that's not official but that's the closest estimate we have. Gamescom is early next month, so that's when I expect it will drop.

harlock wrote on Jul 12, 2015, 11:44:
it seems this whole situation is making people more stupid.. they are so attached and desperate for the christ roberts teet they have to rewire their brains to live on total fiction instead of actual reality
Yawn. It's about being sensible. To have twats around here comparing it to DNF and thinking that's a sensible comparison is ludicrous. Why not compare it to TF2, a game that was delayed but turned out amazingly? That's because it's not about sensible, informed criticism - it's about mindless trolling.

I'm a realist. CIG has demonstrated that it's utterly unable to hit even short term targets and is poor at communicating delays - I'm the first to point out all the flaws of the development and the game itself - but the project as a whole is still on track and goes vastly beyond what was originally promised. Why has it increased in scale? Because that's what fans wanted. It's more important to get the game right.

News Comments > Op Ed
44. Re: Op Ed Jul 12, 2015, 11:01 theyarecomingforyou

CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 12, 2015, 09:19:
The official forums are the same. Censorship Central Inc.
Anything even remotely critical either gets locked immediately or swept under the Concern forums rug. Concern forum = trash box. None of the devs ever looks at it.
In General Chat where devs at least occasionally stop by they all want to live in shiny happy Christ Roberts Holyland.
Censoring would be removing such comments on sight. Instead they're placed in the relevant section of the forum. You still have topics being derailed for the same off-topic nonsense - controller balance, the game being a 'scam', etc. It takes a lot to be banned. Heck, there was a specific topic addressing lots of concerns just this week.

Kxmode wrote on Jul 12, 2015, 08:21:
The mods over at Star Citizen Reddit have put me on some sort of 9 minute delay between posts. They're really in lock down mode. There shall be no dissent in Chairman Roberts' new universe order.
The mods on r/starcitizen are separate to CIG. In order to be restricted there you obviously stepped out of line, which isn't surprising given your posts here.

Kxmode wrote on Jul 11, 2015, 19:55:
They did. Alex Mayberry. He left a few days ago. Probably for all the reasons people are thinking about: no stable model, to large in scope, a Studio head hell belt on delivering something cannot be done in the next 2 years, etc. etc...
People leave for all sorts of reasons. One of the co-founders of Valve left while developing Half-Life 2 because he wanted to build a boat and that game turned out fine. The difference here is that the comings and goings are very public. This sort of turnover if perfectly normal. In fact there have been numerous articles over the years about developers for other games not being credited because they left before the title was shipped.

CIG has poached people from Blizzard, like Darian Vorlick. They also poached a lot of staff from Crytek, both in Austin and Frankfurt. Overall CIG has hired more talented people than it has lost. But don't let reason get in the way of your rant.

harlock wrote on Jul 12, 2015, 09:21:
i could see the complete open world MMO releasing in 2020.. thing is, it will be like the DNF release - so long overdue, so long hyped, with such a lack of actual game to back it up
Yawn. The game is already playable, the FPS is due out imminently and the social module not far behind. It's fair to assume that Squadron 42 will be delayed but even so we'll see that next year. As for the PU stuff, that might take a while longer but that's the most complicated component and even after release will be constantly iterated upon and improved.

6345 Comments. 318 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo