Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonas Taylor

Real Name Jonas Taylor   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname theyarecomingforyou
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 8, 2005, 11:25
Total Comments 6091 (Guru)
User ID 22891

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > The Evil Within > 30 FPS "Not Supported"
73. Re: The Evil Within > 30 FPS Oct 9, 2014, 17:09 theyarecomingforyou

NewMaxx wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 16:18:
Allow me to refer you to this article on AC: Unity's decision.
Of course they're going to defend 30fps if their game is at 30fps. It's just PR bullshit, especially the claim that the industry is transitioning to 30fps and framerate is becoming less important. It remains to be seen whether they will lock the framerate on Assassin's Creed: Unity for the PC but if they don't then it's obviously just PR.

As for movies, the technology didn't exist for higher refresh rates and people are resistant to change. Thankfully there are many directors out there willing to push the boundaries. As I said, I though The Hobbit looked great at 48fps - it made the 3D very effective, when usually I can't stand 3D films.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

50. Re: The Evil Within > 30 FPS Oct 9, 2014, 13:37 theyarecomingforyou

Beamer wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 13:20:
1080p and 720p, though, is physically impossible at certain distances depending upon screen size, and most people tend to sit beyond those distances. Most. Not all. Most.
Much of the advice as to when the difference in resolution is noticeable is inaccurate. Obviously there is a point at which the difference is indiscernible but if most people couldn't tell then the XB1 and PS4 would both run at 720p. I remember we had similar claims when it came to audio compression, yet audiophiles could tell the difference in blind tests. Like with many things, you won't notice the difference if you're unaware of it but it's apparent when you are.

As for the game, nothing I have seen suggests the game is any better for the limited resolution and framerate. The visuals looks pretty shit and the grain filter only makes things worse. If it is genuinely an art decision then it's a bad decision.

40. Re: The Evil Within > 30 FPS Oct 9, 2014, 13:16 theyarecomingforyou

Timmeh wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 12:27:
every game does not need to run at 250 fps or even 60 fps. A survival horror game is a certain kind of game. Having a constant 30 FPS with no slowdowns is the best option when you are going for a cinematic experience. Especially Survival horror. Everything is slower and more deliberate in these games.
Reducing the framerate doesn't improve the experience. If you're talking about slowdowns then that speaks to poor optimisation or targeting the game at a level that most systems won't support. If you're talking about gameplay then a lower framerate doesn't make things slower or more deliberate - that is done via animations and controls. Alien: Isolation didn't need to limit the resolution or framerate to achieve immersive survival horror.

Timmeh wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 12:27:
This is what the GAME DESIGNER chose for the GAME EXPERIENCE. He's not making a game thinking about all the whiney ass spoiled 4 year old my ice cream is cold and I have the depth of a mud puddle in Arizona PC forum poster.
When you've followed games as much as most of us here have you quickly learn to see through the excuses. I have no interest playing a game through a letterbox when it is perfectly capable of utilising my entire display.

Designers are free to make such decisions, just as we're free to criticise them.

HoSpanky wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 12:33:
"Designed properly" is the part you aren't paying attention to. If they build their motion blurring around it, and you bump up the framerate, it may look messed up.

And before you say "there wouldn't need to BE any blurring if it ran at 120fps!", it's possible that not getting a clear view of a creature is INTENTIONAL. Did you watch the hobbit at 48fps? Was godawful. The monsters looked better but the actors looked awful.
Yes I did watch The Hobbit at 48fps and I very much enjoyed it. Certainly it took about five to ten minutes to get used to but after that the experience was extremely immersive. It's funny because several people I went with couldn't even tell the difference between that and a normal film.

HoSpanky wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 12:33:
Up close, I can absolutely tell the difference between 720 and 1080. At 10 feet away from a 46 inch screen? Probably not. Depending on what the content is, I'd bet you can't either, although you'll never admit to it.
I figured as much. Not only can I tell the difference between 720p and 1080p but I can also tell the difference between various levels of compression. I try to avoid watching movies on satellite because the compression is really apparent.

You might not be able to tell the difference between various resolutions or framerates but many of us can and we don't appreciate bullshit console ports being passed off as arty design decisions.

22. Re: The Evil Within > 30 FPS Oct 9, 2014, 11:48 theyarecomingforyou

HoSpanky wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 11:25:
Jesus, do you guys even read the post before going into elitist asshole mode? The aspect ratio is intentionally there, as they put things in the black bars. The framerate is unlockable but unsupported, as is the aspect ratio.
We can read just fine, thanks. We're talking about a game that deliberately avoids using a significant portion of the screen - on it's own that's a bad design decision but combined with a 30fps framerate cap it's unacceptable. Clearly it is being done for performance reasons rather than for aesthetics.

Basically, in order to get that level of visual fidelity on consoles they had to make substantial cuts and they couldn't be bothered doing things properly on PC.

If you cant be bothered to use console commands, turn in your pc elitist badge because you just want a console without console restrictions.
Fuck you. We're perfectly willing to use console commands. The issue is that basic features have been removed and are ONLY accessible through the console, which is NOT acceptable. Utilising the full resolution and refresh rate of your monitor should not be an unsupported feature.

30 fps is surprisingly fine, IF the game is properly built around it.
No. Just, no. I suppose you can't tell the difference between 720p or 1080p either, right? Go back to playing your X360 and leave PC gaming for the adults.

13. Re: The Evil Within > 30 FPS Oct 9, 2014, 10:28 theyarecomingforyou

jacobvandy wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 10:13:
I have no issue with a developer making a SURVIVAL HORROR game that is targeting 30 fps and 2.35:1 for aesthetic purposes. They're giving you the option to bypass those choices yourself, yet you still bitch and moan?
Console commands don't count as giving the user a choice, as 95% of gamers aren't going to know about them or ever use them.

The only reason they even mention console commands is because they know people will discover a way to bypass the limitations anyway and this makes them look ever so slightly less like complete and utter cunts.

10. Re: The Evil Within > 30 FPS Oct 9, 2014, 10:24 theyarecomingforyou

No thanks.

There is no excuse for targeting 30fps on PC. I don't have a problem with a 'cinematic mode' that limits the aspect ratio and framerate but that should be optional. The game should be designed to use the full screen resolution and support 60fps minimum.

This is clearly a console port.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Alien: Isolation
38. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Alien: Isolation Oct 7, 2014, 19:26 theyarecomingforyou

Kosumo wrote on Oct 7, 2014, 17:10:
Re:Oculus Rift

Why would they bother? How many Rift are they out there in the publics hands yet - fuck all - it's still in an early dev version at that. To say they 'missed out' by not shipping with rift support is totally wrong - neally anyone with a rift is an early adaptor who most likely will by this game even if its only an average game.

Adding Rift support would of maybe got them 1000 extra sales. It would help Oculus Rift more than sega/CA.
It's not about the sales for OR users, as they are negligible, but rather the good press that comes from it. It's basically a cheap form of advertising that adds an extra dimension to the game for those who have it.

News Comments > Star Citizen Status Report
38. Re: Star Citizen Status Report Oct 6, 2014, 06:32 theyarecomingforyou

I think the criticism is getting pretty tired now.

SC is the most successful crowdfunded project in history and is bringing in more than $3,000,000 a month, with constant updates being released and new features. This month they'll be showing off the FPS module and we may even get to play it soon. It's successful for a reason and that is that it's what PC gamers want.

When I backed the game I thought it was going to be a low-budget space-sim and what we're getting is a game that looks to redefine gaming. I don't care what anyone else thinks, I'm more than happy with that.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
34. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 4, 2014, 06:48 theyarecomingforyou

ViRGE wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 16:43:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 16:39:
I remember Microsoft claiming that DirectX 8 would be included with Windows ME and that turned out to be a crock of shit.
Uh, you can get up to DirectX 9 with Windows ME and 98. Heck, you can get up to DX8.0 on Windows 95 of all things.
That's not the point. Microsoft claimed that Windows ME was going to ship with DirectX 8, which it didn't.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
23. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 3, 2014, 16:39 theyarecomingforyou

I remember Microsoft claiming that DirectX 8 would be included with Windows ME and that turned out to be a crock of shit.  

News Comments > Civilization: Beyond Earth Trailer
16. Re: Civilization: Beyond Earth Trailer Oct 1, 2014, 17:22 theyarecomingforyou

I preordered it a while back. The game looks awesome. The only question is whether it will be a true replacement to Civilization V or merely a distraction. Considering that I've sunk over 460hrs into Civ5 it's going to have to be a pretty amazing game to top that, though I'm optimistic.

Personally I thought Civilization V was great out of the box and a worthy successor to Civilization IV. Sure it lacked some features (as is inevitable with a game so massive in scale and built-up over numerous expansions) but it really advanced the series, with the expansions taking it even further.

News Comments > PC GTA5 in January
54. Re: PC GTA5 in January Sep 12, 2014, 15:54 theyarecomingforyou

Rockstar demonstrating utter contempt for PC gamers? Quelle surprise.  

News Comments > Dead Rising 3 Tomorrow; Launch Trailer Today
13. Re: Dead Rising 3 Tomorrow; Launch Trailer Today Sep 5, 2014, 06:30 theyarecomingforyou

Shitty port? No thanks.  

News Comments > Linux & OS X Tropico 5 This Month
1. Re: Linux & OS X Tropico 5 This Month Sep 4, 2014, 10:53 theyarecomingforyou

Loving the game so far. The campaign is pretty decent and it finally has multiplayer, though I haven't really pushed it.  

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Layoffs; Struggling Financially?
24. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Layoffs; Struggling Financially? Sep 4, 2014, 05:36 theyarecomingforyou

Personally I'm glad. I hate the MMO model - it incentivises grind over fun. I love TES series but this atrocity needs to burn.  

News Comments > SEGA's Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Response
15. Re: SEGA's Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Response Sep 4, 2014, 05:17 theyarecomingforyou

jdreyer wrote on Sep 4, 2014, 04:26:
Well, true. It went from horror movie to action movie. But one of the greatest action movies that has ever been made. I love both movies, but they are very different.
Exactly. In fact it's very much like Terminator, which went from dark horror in the first film to all out action in the second. They're both great films but for different reasons.

News Comments > Steam AU Refund Legal Dispute
13. Re: Steam AU Refund Legal Dispute Aug 29, 2014, 14:54 theyarecomingforyou

Qbex . wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 10:27:
I'd like them to answer to consumer watchdog why the fuck they charge 89.99$ USD for Civ Beyond Earth among many other titles sold on Steam Au. I largely forgo pirating games but thing like that wants me to do it just in spite
That'll be the publishers doing it to appease physical retailers.

News Comments > Steam Allows Multiple Game Installs
17. Re: Steam Allows Multiple Game Installs Aug 27, 2014, 19:09 theyarecomingforyou

fiftykyu wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 17:23:
Wow, forgot about that drive. Not much use today, but it sure was great back then. Still have mine lying around here somewhere, bet it still works too.

But enjoy the new SSD experience, if you haven't had one before! Even one of today's cheapest ones will probably blow you away...
I had a Raptor back in the day and it was unbelievably noisy and performance wasn't that much better than a traditional drive. SSDs on the otherhand are much more dramatic.

I look forward to when SSDs are affordable enough to replace HDDs altogether. Until then I'm looking at a 5TB HDD for my next purchase (the 6TB drives are a bit too expensive still).

News Comments > GOG.com Adds DRM-Free Movies; TV Coming
13. Re: GOG.com Adds DRM-Free Movies; TV Coming Aug 27, 2014, 16:08 theyarecomingforyou

Hyatus wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 13:19:
How did they beat Steam to the punch?
Steam has movies as well(granted, not DRM-free).
Exactly.

This announcement is incredibly underwhelming when you look at the available titles. Valve's upcoming TV and movies will almost certainly be a lot more credible. I like GOG but it's going to have to do a lot more to become mainstream.

News Comments > EA's $1B DLC Goal
1. Re: EA's $1B DLC Goal Aug 26, 2014, 19:28 theyarecomingforyou

Yay, DLC. /s  

6091 Comments. 305 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo