Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonas Taylor

Real Name Jonas Taylor   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname theyarecomingforyou
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 8, 2005, 11:25
Total Comments 6091 (Guru)
User ID 22891

User comment history
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

News Comments > S.T.A.L.K.E.R. License Sold
21. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. License Sold Dec 12, 2012, 15:05 theyarecomingforyou

ItBurn wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 13:19:
The STALKER facebook page doesn't seem to agree with this: http://www.facebook.com/officialstalker
Sounds like bitComposer Entertainment AG believes that GSC Game World has violated their contract and forfeited ownership of the STALKER brand. STALKER 2 is beginning to become as much of a joke as DNF!

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > S.T.A.L.K.E.R. License Sold
17. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. License Sold Dec 12, 2012, 13:17 theyarecomingforyou

I really enjoyed SoC and CS - the former for its scare factor; the latter for its narrative focus and better AI - but CoP did nothing for me, as they dialled back the graphics and they simply hadn't done anything to advance the formula. The genre had simply moved on and playing through a rehashed version of the previous two games was a real grind.

I'd love to see a proper sequel with a new engine and more refined gameplay, as it's certainly a compelling brand. It's a shame that they made such a mess of development - I imagine that running years behind schedule with the original game was probably responsible for most of their financial troubles, while the technical issues that plagued the series must have put off a lot of people.

Metro 2033 was a much more polished and narratively driven game, created from a splinter group that worked on the original STALKER. It's a complete different genre of game but it was much better than CoP. I'm really looking forward to Metro: Last Light.

News Comments > Medieval CryENGINE 3 Footage
4. Re: Medieval CryENGINE 3 Footage Dec 10, 2012, 12:51 theyarecomingforyou

Peter Jackson's The Hobbit: The Game  

News Comments > Valve Living Room PCs Next Year?
22. Re: Valve Living Room PCs Next Year? Dec 9, 2012, 16:46 theyarecomingforyou

Hellbinder wrote on Dec 9, 2012, 15:58:
the PC market is collapsing.. do you want to play games or not.
I guess that's why nVidia is predicting that PC games revenue will overtake consoles in 2014 then?

News Comments > Far Cry 3 HUD Patch Planned
12. Re: Far Cry 3 HUD Patch Planned Dec 8, 2012, 10:00 theyarecomingforyou

wasp wrote on Dec 8, 2012, 09:28:
No one else bothered by the fact that enemy pirates all wear red shirts?
Only on the first island.

News Comments > BioShock Infinite Delayed
37. Re: BioShock Infinite Delayed Dec 8, 2012, 07:31 theyarecomingforyou

Creston wrote on Dec 7, 2012, 18:15:
The original Half-Life was heavily scripted, Valve just did a very good job of hiding the fact.
Yeah, but it has to be taken in context - it was hugely innovative and compelling at the time. HL2 did a much better job, especially the way characters reacted to your location in the scene.

Meanwhile, games like COD have taken the genre backwards with infinitely spawning enemies, having to wait for cutscenes to be triggered, linear level design, etc. The genre has evolved and games like Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Far Cry 3 and Dishonored have really pushed a more freeform style of gameplay - my fear is that Infinite will come across as too restrictive, especially as it doesn't have the deliberately claustrophobic underwater setting of the original.

We shall see but all the videos I've seen have basically been one scripted event / narrative event after another with the player simply waiting for them to trigger.

29. Re: BioShock Infinite Delayed Dec 7, 2012, 16:50 theyarecomingforyou

Yakubs wrote on Dec 7, 2012, 15:52:
I think scripting was something that really enhanced a game when it was new and exciting (the original Half-Life really blew me away). But I see it as a negative in new games, for the most part. To me it was a stepping stone in game design and technology that designers should be leaving behind at this point.
This. Singleplayer games currently need a degree of scripting in order to create a compelling narrative but when it becomes too rigid it becomes very noticeable and severely impacts upon replayability. For instance, Far Cry 3 has scripted sequences with strong emotional attachments but they punctuate gameplay that is very freeform, whereas games like the Call Of Duty series rely too heavily on scripting and the gameplay mechanics are too readily apparent. There's a fine line between a compelling game with scripting and an overly scripted game, with a lot of that dependent upon the depth of the gameplay.

For me the best scripting is where you have complete control of the character and screen, with everything happening around you - this is best demonstrated by the Half-Life and Elder Scrolls franchises. Far Cry 3 has much better acting and scripting but the lack of player control during cutscenes makes you feel less connected to the action. You don't need to force the camera to stick on a particular scene, as if you make the scene compelling enough then the players will want to watch it and engage with it of their own accord.

I think the ultimate end-game of gaming is complete immersion, ala the holodeck in Star Trek. I can understand why developers want to leverage the strengths of cinema but I think it works against the primary strength of the gaming platform, which is interaction. My concern with BioShock Infinite is that the gameplay will be too shallow and the environments too linear, which means you'll basically be walking from one scripted event to another.

4. Re: BioShock Infinite Delayed Dec 7, 2012, 10:41 theyarecomingforyou

It's convenient that the delay means they won't be battling with Crysis 3 and Aliens: Colonial Marines for attention - it also puts them further away from the release of Tomb Raider, Dead Space 3 and SimCity. They'll be up against Metro: Last Light but that's a much smaller franchise being backed by a much smaller publisher. The only fly in the ointment could be GTAV, which is due in Spring 2013 (a vague window).

As for the game itself, the number of delays and high profile departures is quite concerning. The game looks very linear and the graphics are far from revolutionary, which leaves the narrative as the selling point. It's still on my radar but I have to say I'm not hugely optimistic.

News Comments > Crysis 3 Release Dates
3. Re: Crysis 3 Release Dates Dec 7, 2012, 10:05 theyarecomingforyou

Tim wrote on Dec 7, 2012, 09:06:
I assume you mean "not origin" rather than just "on steam" ?
Nope. I like to keep all my games on Steam and can cope with games using third-party clients, whether that's UPlay, Origin or GFWL. I dislike them but for me it's not a deal breaker. That's because I hate having to navigate through multiple clients just to find what games I have. Sure, I still need to login to each third-party client the first time I use a game that requires it but after that I can just ignore them.

There are also other reasons as well, one being that I have lots of friends on Steam and regularly chat with them and another being that I take a lot of in-game screenshots using Steam and publish them on various forums. For me Steam adds value to games.

News Comments > November NPD Results
9. Re: November NPD Results Dec 7, 2012, 08:06 theyarecomingforyou

Mangrove wrote on Dec 7, 2012, 06:53:
I called someone l33t in a game the other day and no one knew what it meant :/
Well, I hope you gave them a history lesson on what was cool in 1997!

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Dec 7, 2012, 07:37 theyarecomingforyou

If a US company operates in the EU then it should abide by European data protection laws. The US and it's Nazi-like legislation can piss right off!  

News Comments > Crysis 3 Release Dates
1. Re: Crysis 3 Release Dates Dec 7, 2012, 07:31 theyarecomingforyou

If it's released on Steam then I'm there; otherwise EA can go screw itself.  

News Comments > Creative Assembly Making Warhammer Games
23. Re: Creative Assembly Making Warhammer Games Dec 6, 2012, 16:11 theyarecomingforyou

Prez wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 15:36:
I must be weird but I loved Space Marine. The action was visceral and intense, and combat was satisfyingly brutal and meaty, and the jumpack sections never got old.
This. The graphics were poor and there were issues with the PC port but it was actually a really enjoyable game - surprisingly so. The narrative was also one of the best I've seen in a W40K game. When I first saw the game I just thought it was going to be a crappy console action game but that's mainly because they marketed it really badly.

I highly recommend people check it out if it goes on sale.

16. Re: Creative Assembly Making Warhammer Games Dec 6, 2012, 14:54 theyarecomingforyou

Orogogus wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 14:43:
I don't agree. Total War really does seem like the closest fit for the tabletop game. Fantasy and 40K have some similarities, but Fantasy has always been more about blocks of units and formations while 40K has always been more about individual unit profiles, which seems more friendly to the traditional click-and-attack RTS. WHFB doesn't seem to play to Relic's strength's at all.
Don't get me wrong, I agree. My point was just that THQ already has a relationship with Games Workshop and I would have thought they'd try to capitalise on that by extending into Warhammer. I think their money troubles are the biggest reason as to why they couldn't.

13. Re: Creative Assembly Making Warhammer Games Dec 6, 2012, 14:28 theyarecomingforyou

I like both universes, though W40K would be my favourite.

I know that the licences are separate but I can't help feeling that this is another sign that THQ is really struggling, as I would have thought they'd be the first to try to get such a licence.

News Comments > Far Cry 3 Released; Patched
60. Re: Far Cry 3 Released; Patched Dec 6, 2012, 06:40 theyarecomingforyou

Quinn wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 22:08:
You do realize it only looks like that when you're looking down the barrel of the gun, right? There hasn't been a single moment it annoyed. You're overreacting like a madman.
I said it was terrible, not that the universe was collapsing in on itself.

50. Re: Far Cry 3 Released; Patched Dec 5, 2012, 17:09 theyarecomingforyou

Beamer wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 15:31:
I think the only time I've noticed DoF in BL2 has been while sniping. I'm perfectly cool with it being there then.
It's pretty bad. Here's the comparison on the nVidia website:

DOF off
DOF on

I don't mind the concept of DOF in principle but the implementation in FC3 and BL2 is too extreme.

Verno wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 14:25:
I was disappointed to learn that Half-Life was just scripted really well, it wasn't really any advanced AI.
Yeah, but that was a long time ago. And I think it even advertised on the box about scripted sequences, as for the time it was cutting edge.

46. Re: Far Cry 3 Released; Patched Dec 5, 2012, 14:05 theyarecomingforyou

Bodolza wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 12:34:
F.E.A.R., which came out over 7 years ago. Not much excuse for crappy AI these days.
That's nostalgia. Half-Life also had great AI for its time but things move on. Plus you can't simply take the AI from a corridor shooter and apply it to an open world game like FC3. Even if you're talking about corridor shooters, Metro 2033 had better AI than FEAR.

37. Re: Far Cry 3 Released; Patched Dec 5, 2012, 12:07 theyarecomingforyou

avianflu wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 10:30:
so you guys are installing UPlay?! Really? Really?
Yup. It's barely any different to the launcher screens that used to accompany a lot of games. Sure it connects online, being that we now live in a connected era, but it works offline as well. Is it necessary? No. Does it interfere with my enjoyment of the game? Nope.

avianflu wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 10:51:
ArsTechnica complains about the enemi AI: the nice thing about FarCry 1 was that enemies in outdoor levels would not simply run straight at you.
Some enemies will run straight at you (typically the heavily armoured ones), others will run and slide behind cover, others will try to flank you, etc. Then there's the way that animals interact with enemies, which is really pretty decent. Personally I think the AI works well considering you're talking about an open game world, and it's certainly a lot better than the AI in the original Far Cry! Is it the pinnacle of gaming AI? Of course not, but I still think it's some of the best out there (which isn't saying much).

Just out of interest, what do people currently consider to be the best singleplayer AI for a FPS?

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Patched
4. Re: MechWarrior Online Patched Dec 5, 2012, 10:15 theyarecomingforyou

I really can't say I'm impressed with this game. Performance is fine but the visuals - even on maximum settings - are pretty terrible. I'm sure when they enable DX11 that things will improve but even in DX9 mode most games look a lot better.

As for the game, I still think the separate leg movement is unhelpful when playing with mouse & keyboard, especially when visually there is little to reinforce the relative difference. I know the older Mechwarrior games included it but I still think it could have been done better. It might just take some getting used to but a ten minute playthrough told me all I needed to know about the game - it may get better but it's not worth the effort when there are so many better games out there.

6091 Comments. 305 pages. Viewing page 26.
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo