Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonas Taylor

Real Name Jonas Taylor   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname theyarecomingforyou
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 8, 2005, 11:25
Total Comments 6020 (Guru)
User ID 22891

User comment history
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

News Comments > Crysis 3 Specs
57. Re: Crysis 3 Specs Dec 4, 2012, 08:53 theyarecomingforyou

Dades wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 07:13:
I'll take some exaggerated physics over Far Cry 3 having nothing but ragdolling.
Far Cry 3 has destructible foliage, the best vehicle physics, the best fire physics and it has explosion physics (vehicles, bodies, objects, etc). It doesn't have collapsible buildings which is a shame (though I'd rather see Frostbite style destruction than CryEngine) but considering how much the game does right that's not a huge concern for me - Skyrim didn't have them either and it was still a classic game.

The lack of one feature doesn't make the engine / game inferior to a five year old game that includes it, otherwise Crysis was inferior to Half-Life 2 because the lip-sync wasn't as good. You've got to look at the games as a whole and visually, technically and in terms of gameplay FC3 offers a lot better experience than Crysis.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Big Picture Mode Launches
30. Re: Steam Big Picture Mode Launches Dec 4, 2012, 05:37 theyarecomingforyou

The biggest issue with Big Picture mode is that it does nothing to help with multi-monitor setups. I have a 42" HDTV hooked up as a secondary monitor but it's too much effort changing the default monitor, then changing the in-game resolution and changing over my default sound system to HDMI. What's needed is for Big Picture mode to run on whichever screen it is launched from and make all games run on that screen - as it is even if you launch Big Picture mode from a secondary display it will launch on the primary display.

Big Picture mode is a nice idea but it's useless for me, and that's despite having a wireless X360 controller and a HDTV connected to my computer. It really is niche functionality, which is obviously just to test the interface for their upcoming hardware / console.

54. Re: Crysis 3 Specs Dec 4, 2012, 04:43 theyarecomingforyou

4D-Boxing wrote on Dec 3, 2012, 20:56:
I wonder if its a case of everything looks better up close meaning that the draw distance is heavily reduced?
The draw distance is focused on what's nearby but that's true of every open world game. Could it be improved? Absolutely, but it's already one of the most demanding games out there.

4D-Boxing wrote on Dec 3, 2012, 20:56:
To be 100% honest your screen shots do not convince me either. Could just be the resolution since I run 2560x1600 or just the pic format.
All my screenshots are 2560x1600, so I assume what you mean is you're not running that resolution? Even so, all modern browsers automatically resize large images to fit on screen.

Dades wrote on Dec 3, 2012, 21:07:
What Crysis has over Far Cry 3 is proper physics and little touches like foliage destruction. Really disappointed in Far Cry 3 there.
I don't really agree. I thought the physics in Crysis were hugely exaggerated, with buildings designed to collapse at the drop of a hat - everywhere you walked there was another prefab hut waiting to fall apart. The foliage destruction was good though, as it allowed for those Rambo-like momenets. The destruction physics in Bad Company 2 - though still overly exaggerated - is still amongst the best we've seen to date, both in implementation and enjoyability.

Performance wise FC3 pushes even top-end systems - at least with current drivers and pre-patch - so I'm not really sure what they could had added. In terms of VRAM it maxes out 2GB cards at 2560x1600, so anything more would have prevented 95% of gamers from enjoying it.

PS - It hasn't been mentioned yet but the game world in Far Cry 3 is dramatically larger than Crysis and without load screens, aside from quick-travel. Technologically Crysis and Crysis 2 don't compete.

45. Re: Crysis 3 Specs Dec 3, 2012, 19:02 theyarecomingforyou

yuastnav wrote on Dec 3, 2012, 18:40:
I had to quite Far Cry 2 after about 2 hours because of a similar reason. Something was really off.
Personally I think that I didn't like the handling of the vehicles (which is excusable) and I didn't like the shooting, i.e. it didn't feel very good (which, in a FPS, is not excusable).
The default FOV is pretty narrow, though the game added a widescreen option in one of the patches to increase it - that irritates some people. As for the shooting, I thought that was actually one of the strengths of Far Cry 2 - imo, it nailed the core mechanics but fell apart with the repetitive AI gimmicks (running you over, vehicle chases) and narrative / open-world gameplay. The only issue at the beginning is that weapons reliability is terrible and you need diamonds for the accuracy upgrades - that'll be the issue you're describing if you were only a couple of hours in. And the vehicles were the best implementation of vehicles in a FPS at that point, though the vehicles were dramatically over used (it got pretty tedious) - something that has been addressed in Far Cry 3 (and the handling is much improved).

44. Re: Crysis 3 Specs Dec 3, 2012, 18:52 theyarecomingforyou

jacobvandy wrote on Dec 3, 2012, 17:42:
Far Cry 3 vs. Crysis 1 is pretty close
lol? Anxious

But seriously, you can't have played Far Cry 3 if you think Crysis is "pretty close" visually. I could keep posting screenshots but I doubt it would change your mind.

39. Re: Crysis 3 Specs Dec 3, 2012, 16:52 theyarecomingforyou

Fion wrote on Dec 3, 2012, 16:29:
Actually it's the opposite. That's the point of tessellation, to add depth to an asset without increasing it's poly count.
It increases the graphical fidelity while minimising the performance hit - it does exactly what it's meant to.

I do agree that video looks good, but with videos you can never really know if that is the quality we'll get in the actual game. What machine was it recorded on? Is it even real time?
There's nothing in that video that makes me think it isn't real-time.

The simple fact is that this game, like Crysis 2, was made primarily for consoles and they simply are incapable of running a game with the fidelity of Crysis.
And most PCs couldn't / still can't run Crysis well either. As for being designed for consoles, so was Far Cry 3 and it blows Crysis out of the water. It all depends on how much effort is put into it and given that it's DX11 it's fair to say it's more than your average PC release.

The reality is that developing for consoles actually HELPED Crytek, as CryEngine was a piece of shit in performance terms and they were forced to optimise it. Games like Team Fortress 2 and Dishonored demonstrate that art direction is more important than engine specs, as you can achieve a lot with very modest specs. You keep talking in technical terms but Crysis 3 looks better visually, regardless. Have you seen the dam video? It looks like it's played with a controller but it's definitely running on PC. Nothing in the original Crysis looks better than that - it's not even close.

Btw, I've actually played the Crysis 3 alpha.

37. Re: Crysis 3 Specs Dec 3, 2012, 16:03 theyarecomingforyou

Creston wrote on Dec 3, 2012, 15:33:
Holy Bloom Balls, Batman! Damn, they put a shitload of bloom in FC2. I must have turned that off, because I don't remember all my shots being that insanely saturated.
That's maxed out in DX10 mode. The sun isn't normally that extreme - it's all related to the day-night cycle. It also depends on the map location, as the desert areas at the north (if I remember correctly) were considerably brighter than the rest of the map.

PS - Far Cry 3 has boobies! (it was blurry in-game; I need to take a better shot)

35. Re: Crysis 3 Specs Dec 3, 2012, 15:55 theyarecomingforyou

John wrote on Dec 3, 2012, 15:48:
Wait, are those your screenshots? If so, how are you playing FC3 before it has been released?
Yeah, they're all my screenshots - the rest are here. The game was released in the EU / Asia four days ago now.

34. Re: Crysis 3 Specs Dec 3, 2012, 15:54 theyarecomingforyou

Fion wrote on Dec 3, 2012, 15:18:
We all know Crytech that Crysis 3, just like Crysis 2, will still look worse than Crysis 1. Lower texture resolution, lower polygon count per asset, lower overall poly cap per scene.
Given that Crysis 2 includes DX11 tessellation, it obviously has a higher polygon count. Meanwhile, Crysis 3 was built around tessellation from the start so it will be better implemented. Take a look at this gameplay video, because if you think that looks worse than the original Crysis you're delusional.

Fion wrote on Dec 3, 2012, 15:18:
The only reason Crysis 2 and 3 appear better in some ways is the improved lighting engine. Frankly in Crysis 1 they skimped on lighting largely so the game would run on systems of the time heh.
It was simply a poorly written engine, hence why it hasn't scaled well with newer hardware. And they pushed the lighting with Crysis anyway, so let's stop with the revisionist history - it was the best available at the time. Don't forget that the competition of the time was games like Unreal Tournament 3 (with the 'cutting edge' Unreal Engine 3), so I don't know where you get the idea that Crytek held back.

Far Cry 3 has demonstrated that current multi-platform engines blow Crysis out of the water, so it's likely that Crytek will have made serious advances too - in fact the videos seem to support that. Crysis hasn't been the definitive visual leader for years and it certainly isn't now, so please stop pretending that modern games have to compete with it.

Crysis was a game that ran poorly on most systems and still does, over 5 years later. It had very good visuals but it was a terrible engine.

27. Re: Crysis 3 Specs Dec 3, 2012, 14:41 theyarecomingforyou

xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 3, 2012, 14:31:
Think even a Cray research computer can run it?
Actually, I imagine it will be better optimised than Crysis 2 and the visuals look much better already. They've built it around DX11, so it's not the post-launch patch job of Crysis 2 where there were known issues with the implementation of tessellation (it was hugely inefficient). The specs really aren't that different from what's required for Crysis 2.

Oh, and I love the way that Vista needs more RAM than Windows 7 or 8.

24. Re: Crysis 3 Specs Dec 3, 2012, 14:13 theyarecomingforyou

Muscular Beaver wrote on Dec 3, 2012, 14:09:
I agree, Crysis looks much better than Crysis 2, the screenshots prove it very well.
Fair enough, you're entitled to your opinion. But I strongly disagree.

23. Re: Crysis 3 Specs Dec 3, 2012, 14:12 theyarecomingforyou

Creston wrote on Dec 3, 2012, 13:54:
Didn't they release 64 bit exe's for Crysis and Crysis 2?
They did for the original Crysis but then they dropped support for it - the Steam version is 32bit only. It wasn't handled well. Crysis Warhead has a 64bit executable.

Creston wrote on Dec 3, 2012, 13:58:
It's amazing how good the original Crysis still looks. :o
It was certainly ahead of its time but the gameplay was a real disappointment, especially after the original Far Cry. I think Warhead improved things a lot and they tweaked the engine to improve performance and visuals too. The trouble is the engine was very poorly optimised and even hardware released years later suffers noticeably from framerate drops, whereas Far Cry 2 performed great and has scaled well to future hardware.

Crysis Warhead:
Forest
Water

And some better shots of Far Cry 2:
Sunset
Water

14. Re: Crysis 3 Specs Dec 3, 2012, 13:31 theyarecomingforyou

Optional Nickname! wrote on Dec 3, 2012, 12:51:
Your supplied screenshots don't visibly support your assertion that Crysis 2 and Far Cry 2 look better than the original Crysis. Confused
Tthey're not the easiest to compare but I stand by my point - I consider both games to have better graphics than Crysis.

I found a few more Crysis 2 shots that might be slightly better:
Indoors
Cobbles
Grassy

And from Crysis:
Vehicle
Sunset

9. Re: Crysis 3 Specs Dec 3, 2012, 12:18 theyarecomingforyou

Muscular Beaver wrote on Dec 3, 2012, 12:10:
8 GB RAM?
They are seriously programming in 64 bit? I kinda doubt that.
That will just be to account for the RAM used by the operating system, though developers really should make the jump to 64bit only. Don't forget that graphics cards use RAM when the VRAM is maxed out.

8. Re: Crysis 3 Specs Dec 3, 2012, 12:17 theyarecomingforyou

MajorD wrote on Dec 3, 2012, 11:16:
Yes, I agree; Crysis 1 definitely taxes my system more than Crysis 2 as well. Crysis 2 does look good (impressively for a console port), but Crysis 1 still looks better.
I wasn't really impressed with the graphics in the original Crysis - I thought both Crysis 2 and Far Cry 2 looked better. A lot of that is related to art direction. Don't get me wrong though, it was still a very good looking game.

Crysis 2:
Corridor
Alien tower

Crysis:
Forrest
Rocks

Far Cry 2:
Jungle
Desert

And the new visual king, Far Cry 3:
Citra
River
Jeep
Oasis

3. Re: Crysis 3 Specs Dec 3, 2012, 10:54 theyarecomingforyou

John wrote on Dec 3, 2012, 10:38:
Wow, a GTX680 and i7 CPU recommended for hi-performance. I'm glad all requirements show DX11 though.
Crysis 2 was just the same. Heck, I actually get more framerate drops on the original Crysis at max settings and I have a GTX680 SLI setup.

At the moment Far Cry 3 is really pushing my current rig, though I'm pretty certain it's driver related and I'm sure a few patches will improve performance. To game at the top end - which franchises like Far Cry and Crysis have always been about - you need top specs.

Crysis 3 looks like it will be a decent game but it certainly looks a lot more linear than Far Cry 3 - hopefully that won't hurt game length. But if it's not on Steam then I'll pass, just like Battlefield 3, Mass Effect 3 and the upcoming SimCity - all games I would have otherwise bought at or near release. Hopefully EA will get the message at some point.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
13. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 2, 2012, 19:14 theyarecomingforyou

nin wrote on Dec 2, 2012, 18:56:
Finished Dishonored yesterday. While not perfect, it's one of my favorite games this year.
Dishonored was great; easily one of the best games of the year. However, I'm really liking Far Cry 3 at the moment and it could be my favourite game of the year, thanks in part to its incredible graphics.

News Comments > Free Radical: Cancelled Battlefront III was "99% Finished"
15. Re: Free Radical: Cancelled Battlefront III was "99% Finished" Dec 2, 2012, 12:58 theyarecomingforyou

If it really was 99% finished and the publisher decided to scrap it then it must have been a bloody appalling game for the publisher to effectively throw-away money. The guy is obviously talking out of his ass.  

News Comments > Far Cry 3 Uplay Workaround
68. Re: Far Cry 3 Uplay Workaround Dec 1, 2012, 15:32 theyarecomingforyou

I'm in the UK and bought it from www.gamekeys4u.net - it sounds like a dodgy website but it has a very good score on TrustPilot and my brother and I both bought the game there and activated it on Steam without issue. It's annoying that Ubisoft has decided to mess things up with the Steam UK release but they did exactly the same thing with Far Cry 2 (it turned up around a week after launch).

As for the game, I'm really enjoying it so far. The graphics are exceptional and the gameplay is basically just Skyrim as a first person (i.e. it's brilliant). There are a few SLI / driver issues but I'm sure they'll be fixed promptly (at least SLI works, unlike Borderlands 2 at launch).

Here are a few screenshots:

Vass
Greenery
Hunting
Indoors

News Comments > New Steam Greenlight Approvals
13. Re: New Steam Greenlight Approvals Nov 30, 2012, 19:14 theyarecomingforyou

I've now rated 957 games and there are some real gems in amongst the mountain of dross. It's just a shame that some of the better looking games haven't yet been Greenlit when loads of shit games have.

I expect Valve will add achievements to the Winter Sale for rating games on Greenlight.

6020 Comments. 301 pages. Viewing page 24.
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo