Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonas Taylor

Real Name Jonas Taylor   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname theyarecomingforyou
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 8, 2005, 11:25
Total Comments 6091 (Guru)
User ID 22891

User comment history
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

News Comments > Fallout 4 Tease?
47. Re: Fallout 4 Tease? Jan 9, 2013, 15:31 theyarecomingforyou

To me NV was a disappointment - in fact I still haven't completed it. Part of the problem was that it felt like an expansion pack, as it reused the same engine and gameplay. Also, by the time it came out the already dated engine used in F3 looked positively antiquated in NV and gaming had moved on. It's not that I think F3 was a great game either but at least it made me want to complete it, which is something most games don't manage these days.

In fact NV reminds me a lot of STALKER CoP, another game I never completed. It's not that either of them were bad games but they were simply minor improvements to already dated games that had been eclipsed by other much more worthwhile games. By the time I got around to NV I'd already completed The Witcher 2 and my expectations for an RPG had changed.

Personally I hope that it's Bethesda making Fallout 4, as I've always preferred them to Obsidian. The only Obsidian game I really enjoyed was Alpha Protocol and even then it was only the strength of the narrative that kept me going - the gameplay was underwhelming.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Play.com Leaving Retail
6. Re: Play.com Leaving Retail Jan 9, 2013, 12:26 theyarecomingforyou

Creston wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 11:05:
Government logic: "Dammit, that store is selling stuff without VAT / sales tax on it! We have to get sales tax out of them, we're losing out on billions in revenue!"

*Government implements stupid new laws, force store to charge sales tax / VAT.*
*store closes, several hundred / thousand jobs lost.*
*unemployed people apply for wellfare.*

Government: "There! Job well done, guys! What are we doing for lunch? hookers and blow?"

:slow clap:

Creston
And what's the alternative... letting dozens of other businesses go bankrupt because they can't compete? If a business can't survive without massive tax breaks then it shouldn't be allowed to survive.

News Comments > Steam Sale Encore
36. Re: Steam Sale Encore Jan 6, 2013, 09:35 theyarecomingforyou

Dev wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 21:55:
Thats what got War Z approved, yeah. I don't think its going to be automatic anymore after that.
That game WASN'T by a major publisher and is completely irrelevant to this discussion. As I said, Valve isn't going to require major publishers to submit games though Greenlight - it would be very bad for relations with the major publishers.

25. Re: Steam Sale Encore Jan 5, 2013, 21:38 theyarecomingforyou

Dev wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 21:18:
Valve has even publicly stated they now want ALL games to go through greenlight.
That's NEVER going to happen. Games from big publishers will always be automatically allowed, as Valve can't risk losing too many big publishers. EA has already left them and if Activision, Ubisoft and Take-Two followed suit then to pursue their own digital stores - which most publishes are running alongside Steam (Battle.net, UPlay) - then Steam will lose its significance in the market place. There's simply no point having people vote for games like Far Cry 3, Call Of Duty or Borderlands 2, as there's guaranteed huge demand for them. As for indie games, it makes sense for them to all go through Greenlight as any game that has demand will coast through and those that don't won't sell.

News Comments > James Bond: License Revoked?
8. Re: James Bond: License Revoked? Jan 5, 2013, 20:47 theyarecomingforyou

Dev wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 19:34:
When games are pulled on steam it typically means removed from store. Anyone who already owns it can still install it.
This. I bought Crysis 2 before it was removed from Steam (it's since been added back again) and was able to redownload and play it without issue.

8. Re: Steam Sale Encore Jan 5, 2013, 19:21 theyarecomingforyou

This is one of the worst seasonal sales that Valve has done. The vast majority of games had already been on sale; there was barely anything in the way of community participation; there were no updated games with special achievements; the achievements were possible to complete more than a week before the end of the sale (I've never been able to do that before); there were no new Steam features being promoted (inventory, etc).

I'm very surprised that Valve didn't making voting on Greenlight an achievement or add achievements to games that support Big Picture. It was a bog-standard sale - it wasn't a sale event, like Valve normally does.

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn Footage
5. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn Footage Jan 2, 2013, 20:24 theyarecomingforyou

Well fuck me, when did having ADHD become a requirement for playing the Final Fantasy series?  

News Comments > Remedy Teases 2013 Plans
18. Re: Remedy Teases 2013 Plans Jan 2, 2013, 16:01 theyarecomingforyou

wtf_man wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 14:49:
I know what it is.
I don't like it and it throws my focal point off.
About the only time I can stand it being "offset" is when it's used for "cover mode only", in certain games, and for very short periods of time.
Meh. Makes no difference to me. It didn't bother me with Dead Space either. The gameplay, graphics, atmosphere and narrative were excellent, which are much more important factors to me.

15. Re: Remedy Teases 2013 Plans Jan 2, 2013, 14:44 theyarecomingforyou

wtf_man wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 14:25:
No, I'm not talking about third person, itself.

I'm talking about shoulder-cam or side-cam vs. ass-cam.

I can do the 3rd person in most games... Dead Space and Alan Wake... I can't.
It's just a regular third-person cam, offset slightly to the side.

13. Re: Remedy Teases 2013 Plans Jan 2, 2013, 14:24 theyarecomingforyou

I was very critical of Remedy for announcing they were dropping the PC as a platform for Alan Wake at the time and just as much when I heard they were going to be releasing it on PC nearly two years later. However, it was a really well done port and the graphics were exceptional (a dramatic improvement on the console version). Mouse and keyboard was properly implemented and it was well optimised. They also discounted the game and included all the DLC as standard, which was a nice gesture after the massive delay.

Kajetan wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 09:43:
I would like to see a PC game for PCs, not just a port with horrible controls and weird design descisions, which may be ok with a console crowd but annoys the heck out of PC players. Remedy and Steam forums are full of PC players complaining about the mouse/keyboard controls and the "unusual" camera positions.
That really wasn't my experience at all. The mouse had mouse smoothing enabled by default but with it disabled it was much more responsive. As for the camera positions, I didn't have any issues. In fact it was very well done for a third-person game.

I for one am very interested to see what Remedy will be doing next, especially as it sounds like it will be released on PC (otherwise they wouldn't announce it when promoting a Steam sale).

News Comments > Torchlight 2 Sells 1MM
4. Re: Torchlight 2 Sells 1MM Jan 1, 2013, 14:20 theyarecomingforyou

Great game. They deserve to sell a lot more than just a million copies.  

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V in March?
22. Re: Grand Theft Auto V in March? Jan 1, 2013, 10:48 theyarecomingforyou

Orphic Resonance wrote on Jan 1, 2013, 10:43:
i dont know if this has anything to do with LA Noire performance issues... but one thing that was weird as shit to me was how Dead Island gets easily 15fps more by using a gamepad instead of the mouse... like there is some kind of really shitty code handling the tracking for it
I noticed with GTAIV that it seemed much smoother when using a gamepad, which is because they smooth the movement and optimise loading around it. I don't think it actually performs any better, it just helps mask the framerate drops.

13. Re: Grand Theft Auto V in March? Dec 31, 2012, 20:28 theyarecomingforyou

SectorEffector wrote on Dec 31, 2012, 17:22:
Reread most of that and tell me how you didn't just agree with me at the end but you frosted your response with your tidbits with Max payne 3. Who gives a fuck about the in game videos, seriously. As long as they aren't 320x240 bink's then I could care less. ESP when we are arguing the engine being optimized.. not whether or not the cinematics lead wants to push that event off on to a prerendered vid or not.
The videos were rendered at console level quality, with low resolution textures, no anti-aliasing and were heavily compressed. It was incredibly jarring going from 2560x1600 maxed out to ultra-shitty console quality and it soured the entire experience for me - especially considering that the game was 30GB in size. There simply was no excuse for such low quality videos, especially when they'd have looked great rendered in-game (something easily possible on PC).

Also please let me know if you have any evidence that the PC version is being worked on or not being worked on right now. ( we know there is a year delay between releases, but don't assume they have NOBODY on it right now. )
They've publicly stated that there is no PC release currently planned, so your assumption goes against what Rockstar has said publicly.

BTW La Noire and Max Payne were fine with me. Not a moment passed where I was thinking about how shitty the port was.
You thought LA Noire was an acceptable port? For starters it was limited to 30fps, which is absolutely unacceptable. And the graphics looked like ass. MP3 looked decent but there were issues with the gameplay and the FMV; it wasn't terrible but it could have been a lot better.

You should direct your hate to a couple other companies who don't just crap on the PC, they downright make PR statements assaulting the platform.
Rockstar treats PC gamers with contempt, so they absolutely deserve the criticism I have directed at them. There may be worse companies but that's like ranking serial killers by their depravity when they're all fucking sickos.

7. Re: Grand Theft Auto V in March? Dec 31, 2012, 15:09 theyarecomingforyou

SectorEffector wrote on Dec 31, 2012, 13:50:
Or it will turn out like Max Payne 3.... which was running silky smooth and looking very, VERY good. It still had that stupid extra bit of bloat for logging in and stats, but that's easily overlooked when it runs perfect.

Did you play Max Payne 3? Same engine, and it seemed to me like it was much more optimized engine wise then GTA IV was.
Firstly, Max Payne 3 for PC was developed simultaneously with the console version - that isn't the case with GTAV. Secondly, the environments were much smaller. Thirdly, the in-game videos were shockingly low quality - absolutely disgusting for a modern game, especially when they were used so extensively. And the gameplay was really weak, which was a criticism I had of GTAIV as well. Also, the media put out for MP3 actually looked decent and Rockstar was happy to show off gameplay; everything shown for GTAV is a mess of low polygon models, low resolution textures and poor quality lighting and they won't show any gameplay videos. Obviously MP3 was a better port than GTAIV but it certainly wasn't up to the standards set by games like Far Cry 3, Borderlands 2 or Arkham City.

Don't forget that it was Rockstar that ported LA Noire to PC, which was a technical disaster. I appreciate that they took over from another developer, so I don't hold them entirely responsible, but even so it was in a pretty disgusting state.

If Rockstar cared about PC gamers then they'd do a simultaneous release, like they did with MP3. They're too busy enjoying cocaine parties thrown by Microsoft to give a shit about integrity.

4. Re: Grand Theft Auto V in March? Dec 31, 2012, 13:12 theyarecomingforyou

jacobvandy wrote on Dec 31, 2012, 12:58:
Forget that! The sooner it comes out for consoles, the sooner we get it on PC.
The sooner we can get a shitty console port that's poorly optimised, has terrible graphics and is bundled with layer upon layer of shitware (SecuROM, GFWL, Rockstar Cuntclub).

By the time it's released on PC - if it makes it at all - the next-gen consoles will be out, so it will look doubly dated. Watchdogs looks much more promising. I much prefer to support Ubisoft, as at least they put a lot of effort into their PC ports (Far Cry 2/3, Assassin's Creed series, etc) and their UPlay software is relatively painless (easily preferable to GFWL).

I'll start caring when Rockstar stops whoring itself out to Microsoft and Sony and actually treats the PC platform with respect.

News Comments > etc., etc.
19. Re: etc., etc. Dec 22, 2012, 05:43 theyarecomingforyou

xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 22, 2012, 01:43:
Couldn't we just bring troops home and put THEM in the schools? 3 to a school....They stay employed and they are here with their famalies....
Soldiers are already doing that voluntarily but it's pathetic that schools are so unsafe that they feel the need to do that.

News Comments > etc., etc.
18. Re: etc., etc. Dec 22, 2012, 05:40 theyarecomingforyou

If you need armed guards in schools then you've already failed. The US needs to fundamental overhaul of firearms regulations. Just look at the UK - we heavily regulate firearms and have very little gun crime. And guns are still legal here - in fact we have four shotguns (semi-automatic, side-by-side, pump-action and regular) and a rifle in our house, plus I used to be a member of the local gun club.

The US needs to get over its obsession with firearms. The last thing it should be doing is throwing more guns at the situation. And rather than blaming movies or video games it should blame the news and the US military policy of illegal and senseless drone strikes - now THAT would kick off a shit storm.

News Comments > Ubisoft Eyeing THQ?
25. Re: Ubisoft Eyeing THQ? Dec 22, 2012, 05:29 theyarecomingforyou

Hopefully Valve will buy up the whole company, as I think that would be the best outcome. If not then Ubisoft is probably one of the better publishers, as it releases games on Steam and does excellent PC ports - EA would boycott Steam and require Origin; Activision would increase the price of games, make them all yearly series and fleece you on DLC; Bethesda seems to have no quality control;. 2K Games could be another reasonable choice but even though it has a larger revenue than Ubisoft it has a much lower operating income - it's really not being managed well.

UPlay certainly isn't necessary and is a minor annoyance but it's nothing compared to GFWL and it didn't really bother me with Far Cry 3.

News Comments > Steam Stops Selling The War Z
9. Re: Steam Stops Selling The War Z Dec 19, 2012, 16:07 theyarecomingforyou

Jivaro wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 15:55:
This interview was both maddening and hilarious..all at the same time...

Gamespy asking Sergey Titov WTF
Wow. Just... wow. That's some fucked up logic there.

News Comments > THQ Files for Chapter 11; Plans Sale
11. Re: THQ Files for Chapter 11; Plans Sale Dec 19, 2012, 15:59 theyarecomingforyou

I think everybody saw this coming. Hopefully the decent IP they have will find its way to decent publishers.  

6091 Comments. 305 pages. Viewing page 24.
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo