Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonas Taylor

Real Name Jonas Taylor   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname theyarecomingforyou
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 8, 2005, 11:25
Total Comments 5907 (Guru)
User ID 22891

User comment history
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Natural Selection 2
11. Re: Ships Ahoy - Natural Selection 2 Oct 31, 2012, 20:40 theyarecomingforyou

I can't even manage 60fps on my system, even with Ambient Occlusion turned off. That's mainly because I'm playing at 2560x1600 and it doesn't support SLI. It's certainly not a very well optimised game. Black Mesa looked and performed much better.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Electronic Arts Financials
2. Re: Electronic Arts Financials Oct 31, 2012, 17:08 theyarecomingforyou

Verno wrote on Oct 31, 2012, 15:09:
I'm amazed they had any real expectations for Medal of Honor.
I didn't even know it had been released, so clearly their advertising isn't up to the job. And yeah, the previous game was utter shit - Steam says I put 69 minutes into it and a lot of that was spent replaying glitchy levels.

News Comments > Disney Acquires LucasArts
16. Re: Disney Acquires LucasArts Oct 31, 2012, 16:56 theyarecomingforyou

Pre-production for Episode VII has already started. They released the first photo from the set yesterday, where George Lucas denied reports that the new trilogy would be targeted at children.

Episode VII set

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V in Spring
61. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2012, 16:10 theyarecomingforyou

Rigs wrote on Oct 31, 2012, 14:55:
You know, you guys are bitching but entropy already gave the game away...you and I know damn well *R will put out a PC version. They haven't NOT put out a GTA before on PC, why stop now, eh?
Who gives a shit when it's going to turn up nearly a year later, look like ass and run just as poorly? I've bought every previous version of GTA but I have zero interest in GTAV. As I've already said, Watchdogs looks great and they announced the PC version right off the bat.

GTA just isn't a relevant series any more.

53. Re: Grand Theft Auto V in Spring Oct 31, 2012, 12:59 theyarecomingforyou

This is a website for gamers and most gaming enthusiasts have a decent PC because it offers the best gaming experience out there. They also often have consoles.

People are frustrated because the PC offers such a great experience and too often developers focus on consoles to the detriment of the PC. A classic example of that is Halo, which was originally shaping up to be an excellent PC game but ended up becoming a console exclusive - it was a worse game as a result and gamers suffered. Personally I can't be bothered with consoles because image quality is important to me and 1280x720 - often at 30fps - simply doesn't cut it for me. I game at 2560x1600 at 60fps and consoles can't even come close to that.

39. Re: Grand Theft Auto V in Spring Oct 31, 2012, 08:40 theyarecomingforyou

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 31, 2012, 05:22:
Shit Port? Considering they added alot more options to take full advantage of high end pc's? If you google you can find the settings used in the console version's, and the game runs quite fine but looks like shit.
If you're talking about GTAIV, then yes - it absolutely was a shit port. The graphics were terrible (no anti-aliasing, terrible texture quality), the performance was terrible (my current system still can't manage 60fps and it's years ahead of the hardware available at the time) and it was bundled with shitware. That's before mentioning the massive delay. It also lacked PC exclusive features like DX10, which earlier released multi-platform titles like Far Cry 2 and Assassin's Creed included.

As for Max Payne 3, it's not even in the Top 100 on Steam. To give you an idea, games like Mafia II, Crusader Kings II, FTL: Faster Than Light, Just Cause 2 and Chivalry: Medieval Warfare are on that list. I bought it on sale and enjoyed it for a little while but as enjoyable as the narrative is the gameplay is pretty tedious and the cutscenes are simply ridiculous. More bizarrely, some cutscenes are in-game and others are prerendered - that's a huge issue when the prerendered cutscenes are done at 30fps @ 720p with super compression, which looks like complete ass in comparison to the in-game graphics. I don't know what the fuck they were thinking but that's completely unacceptable on the PC. When I first played the game I thought the game must have been broken because the graphics were so bad.

23. Re: Grand Theft Auto V in Spring Oct 30, 2012, 23:37 theyarecomingforyou

Prez wrote on Oct 30, 2012, 23:21:
Watchdogs does indeed look amazing. I am hoping it's a deep experience, but what has me the most worried is wondering if Ubisoft will regress yet again with its stupid DRM.
Well, Ubisoft has at least moved away from the always-on DRM that they pushed for so long. More importantly, their PC ports are usually solid-to-excellent - for all the issues with the gameplay, Far Cry 2 was actually incredibly well optimised and took advantage of DX10.

Ubisoft beats Rockstar hands down any day.

20. Re: Grand Theft Auto V in Spring Oct 30, 2012, 22:40 theyarecomingforyou

With Max Payne 3 they developed the PC version alongside the console version and it was released within a couple of weeks of the X360 and PS3 releases. It's widely regarded as a decent port and my experience with it was positive, although I found the gameplay decidedly lacking.

With GTAIV they developed the PC version long after the console versions and it was bundled with shitware (GFWL and Rockstar Cuntflap Club). It was widely regarded as a shit port, which ran like ass and looked terrible - the gameplay was also decidedly lacking.

If they follow the same release timetable as they did with GTAIV then the PC version will be released at the very end of next year, where it will coincide with the launch of Microsoft's next-gen console. Even if the port was stunning it will still look shit in comparison to next-gen games. More importantly it will be competing with Watchdogs, which IS getting a PC release and looks much better than the terrible GTAV trailer that Rockstar put out.

I officially couldn't give a shit about GTAV. And it's just pathetic that they're suspending people for bringing up the PC version. I thought Rockstar had learnt their lesson after Max Payne 3 but no, they fucked it up again.

14. Re: Grand Theft Auto V in Spring Oct 30, 2012, 21:25 theyarecomingforyou

Kythlyn wrote on Oct 30, 2012, 20:59:
Think there's any chance we'll get any better than a shit port when it finally does come to PC?
Nope. Not that it matters, as the gameplay will probably be shit anyway.

News Comments > Iron Sky: Invasion Delay
14. Re: Iron Sky: Invasion Delay Oct 29, 2012, 17:41 theyarecomingforyou

I'm European and I thought Iron Sky was an excellent movie. It was well directed and produced, funny, politically astute and thoroughly enjoyable - it had everything going for it.  

News Comments > GTA5 in Spring?
50. Re: GTA5 in Spring? Oct 29, 2012, 17:35 theyarecomingforyou

KTR wrote on Oct 29, 2012, 17:02:
Typo, I mean the technology as in debuting the RAGE engine in open world format and being the first to show off Euphoria. Obviously R* was not going to use Renderware for GTA4, therefore time had to be invested in new technology leaving less time for gameplay. Now that they have the technology in place and fairly optimized, now R* can focus on gameplay.
The only plus side is that PCs are now so powerful that if Rockstar messes up the PC version they'd really have to be trying... which I'm still not ruling out.

48. Re: GTA5 in Spring? Oct 29, 2012, 16:49 theyarecomingforyou

KTR wrote on Oct 29, 2012, 13:51:
Because time is limited and finite for game development, R* put more emphasis on the technical aspect on GTA4 than gameplay.
And yet the technical side was a complete clusterfuck, that brought consoles and PCs to their knees despite the fact the graphics looked like ass.

News Comments > Minecraft Mod Adds Far Cry 3 Content
34. Re: Minecraft Mod Adds Far Cry 3 Content Oct 29, 2012, 08:50 theyarecomingforyou

Krizzen wrote on Oct 28, 2012, 12:43:
Your steam profile shows you only have maybe 7 hours between all of those games. Perhaps you should rectify your definition of "love".
Love != Playtime

jacobvandy wrote on Oct 28, 2012, 13:47:
For claiming not to be a graphics whore, you sure keep bringing up the visuals as a reason for not liking it... Have you ever tried Minecraft? The answer to that question will determine whether you're just a hater with preconceived notions of something really, really popular that you really *don't* understand, or a somewhat sad individual completely lacking any creativity, imagination, wonder, and innate drive for exploration.
Yes, I have played it actually. And while graphics are far from the be-all-and-end-all of gaming when you have very bad graphics they detract from the experience. As for the significance, the graphics are what you'll spend most of your time looking at and they do a lot to define your experience.

Bhruic wrote on Oct 28, 2012, 13:26:
Well, I'm neither blind or "simple", but I don't see the appeal of it. That doesn't mean I think people can't enjoy it, but that's a matter of taste. I don't see the appeal of the opera, but plenty of people go to see it.
This. It's not that Minecraft doesn't have any merit but I think a lot of its success is built upon it being an alternative style, where it deliberately shuns graphics. I mean, look at shit like this - it looks like ass... for a game released ten years ago! If the gameplay redeemed it that would be one thing but it doesn't, at least for me. That's what I mean when I say I don't understand why people like it.

25. Re: GTA5 in Spring? Oct 28, 2012, 21:15 theyarecomingforyou

jacobvandy wrote on Oct 28, 2012, 17:14:
But on the other hand, I'd say the majority of performance issues people had with GTA IV were because they're used to not needing a good CPU on top of a capable graphics card. It was, in fact, the most CPU-intensive game in recent memory.
Nonsense. The performance is still dodgy on my current system, which is years ahead of the components available when the game was released. My average framerate is 40-50fps with drops below 30fps and it is noticeable jerky, with horrific aliasing and terrible graphical quality. It was a horribly inefficient engine that was poorly ported to the PC, with added bullshitware like GFWL and Rockstar Shitcock Socialcuntflap Centre. Max Payne 3 is certainly a better port but the gameplay wasn't great and the pacing was totally off due to all the cutscenes. I still don't have much confidence that GTAV will be a good release, certainly not on the PC.

Rigs wrote on Oct 28, 2012, 18:28:
Why the hate for GTA4? I don't get it at all.
It was a terrible port and the gameplay was dated and irritating.

Yakubs wrote on Oct 28, 2012, 19:21:
Truth. Honestly, the formula was already stale with San Andreas when all the changes they made were a step back from Vice City. GTA4 was an exercise in tedium. I don't know why people find it appealing to follow on-screen instructions and then watch cut-scenes.
This. I really enjoyed Vice City but San Andreas added convoluted new gameplay mechanics and GTAIV was simply dated for the time. It played like a console game.

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Oct 28, 2012, 20:45:
GTA4 is so CPU restricted, that even with the best graphics cards out there, to maintain over 60 fps minimum you need an equivalent of a sandy/ivy bridge ~2600k with the clock at ~4.5ghz. (at it's highest graphics settings)
Unfortunately even that isn't enough.

5. Re: GTA5 in Spring? Oct 28, 2012, 16:12 theyarecomingforyou

The screenshots and trailer put out so far look incredibly underwhelming and I have serious doubts as to whether they'd addressed the substantial issues with the engine and gameplay. Given that the previous game brought consoles to their knees (the PS3 had to render it at 640p) I seriously doubt they're going to put in a huge amount of effort into the PC version to bring it up to modern standards. It would have made more sense to make it a next-gen launch title.

I'm much more interested in Watchdogs.

25. Re: Minecraft Mod Adds Far Cry 3 Content Oct 28, 2012, 11:12 theyarecomingforyou

PHJF wrote on Oct 28, 2012, 09:33:
You answered your own question in the same fuckin post. The game is a computer programmer's wet dream. There are innumerable videos on youtube as proof.
I understand the concept, I just don't understand why people like it when the implementation is terrible (graphically and in terms of gameplay). As for being a "computer programmer's wet dream" I couldn't care less, as I play games for enjoyment - I'm not a computer programmer, not do I have any interest in becoming one.

More importantly, I don't understand why Ubisoft spent effort developing a Far Cry 3 mod for Minecraft.

20. Re: Minecraft Mod Adds Far Cry 3 Content Oct 28, 2012, 08:27 theyarecomingforyou

Sepharo wrote on Oct 27, 2012, 22:54:
Damn you really hate Minecraft. That's pretty silly.
I don't hate it, I just don't like it and I don't understand why it's so popular. The graphics are poor and the gameplay just doesn't appeal to me. In fact people seem to like it because it has bad graphics - you only have to look at mods like this one (Far Cry 3) and Skyrim to see that.

It's not that I'm a graphics whore either, as I love graphically simple arty games like Multiwinia, And Yet It Moves, Atom Zombie Smasher and Crayon Physics Deluxe. Heck, I even appreciate Terraria, although I don't think it's anything great. I just don't find Minecraft fun and think it looks terrible.

13. Re: Minecraft Mod Adds Far Cry 3 Content Oct 27, 2012, 22:09 theyarecomingforyou

jacobvandy wrote on Oct 27, 2012, 21:22:
If you can't get past the graphics, it's no wonder you aren't capable of comprehending why Minecraft is so great.
As I stated, I didn't find the gameplay appealing either. If I'm going to play computerised-Lego then I'd like it to look good and do something interesting at the end of it. The point is, Minecraft deliberately went for shitty graphics to make it arty and I'm not into that sort of pretentious, hipster nonsense.

1. Re: Minecraft Mod Adds Far Cry 3 Content Oct 27, 2012, 12:15 theyarecomingforyou

I don't get it, why is Minecraft so popular? I understand the build-it yourself Lego-like mentality but the game looks like ass and when I played it I was underwhelmed with the gameplay.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Stretch Goals
1. Re: Star Citizen Stretch Goals Oct 27, 2012, 12:12 theyarecomingforyou

I wish them all the best of luck with this. If it turns out well it'll be a day-one purchase for me and I don't mind paying full price for it, although for that I would require it to be released on Steam.  

5907 Comments. 296 pages. Viewing page 24.
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo