Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonas Taylor

Real Name Jonas Taylor   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname theyarecomingforyou
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 8, 2005, 11:25
Total Comments 5983 (Guru)
User ID 22891

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Crysis 3 Release Dates
3. Re: Crysis 3 Release Dates Dec 7, 2012, 10:05 theyarecomingforyou

Tim wrote on Dec 7, 2012, 09:06:
I assume you mean "not origin" rather than just "on steam" ?
Nope. I like to keep all my games on Steam and can cope with games using third-party clients, whether that's UPlay, Origin or GFWL. I dislike them but for me it's not a deal breaker. That's because I hate having to navigate through multiple clients just to find what games I have. Sure, I still need to login to each third-party client the first time I use a game that requires it but after that I can just ignore them.

There are also other reasons as well, one being that I have lots of friends on Steam and regularly chat with them and another being that I take a lot of in-game screenshots using Steam and publish them on various forums. For me Steam adds value to games.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > November NPD Results
9. Re: November NPD Results Dec 7, 2012, 08:06 theyarecomingforyou

Mangrove wrote on Dec 7, 2012, 06:53:
I called someone l33t in a game the other day and no one knew what it meant :/
Well, I hope you gave them a history lesson on what was cool in 1997!

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Dec 7, 2012, 07:37 theyarecomingforyou

If a US company operates in the EU then it should abide by European data protection laws. The US and it's Nazi-like legislation can piss right off!  

News Comments > Crysis 3 Release Dates
1. Re: Crysis 3 Release Dates Dec 7, 2012, 07:31 theyarecomingforyou

If it's released on Steam then I'm there; otherwise EA can go screw itself.  

News Comments > Creative Assembly Making Warhammer Games
23. Re: Creative Assembly Making Warhammer Games Dec 6, 2012, 16:11 theyarecomingforyou

Prez wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 15:36:
I must be weird but I loved Space Marine. The action was visceral and intense, and combat was satisfyingly brutal and meaty, and the jumpack sections never got old.
This. The graphics were poor and there were issues with the PC port but it was actually a really enjoyable game - surprisingly so. The narrative was also one of the best I've seen in a W40K game. When I first saw the game I just thought it was going to be a crappy console action game but that's mainly because they marketed it really badly.

I highly recommend people check it out if it goes on sale.

16. Re: Creative Assembly Making Warhammer Games Dec 6, 2012, 14:54 theyarecomingforyou

Orogogus wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 14:43:
I don't agree. Total War really does seem like the closest fit for the tabletop game. Fantasy and 40K have some similarities, but Fantasy has always been more about blocks of units and formations while 40K has always been more about individual unit profiles, which seems more friendly to the traditional click-and-attack RTS. WHFB doesn't seem to play to Relic's strength's at all.
Don't get me wrong, I agree. My point was just that THQ already has a relationship with Games Workshop and I would have thought they'd try to capitalise on that by extending into Warhammer. I think their money troubles are the biggest reason as to why they couldn't.

13. Re: Creative Assembly Making Warhammer Games Dec 6, 2012, 14:28 theyarecomingforyou

I like both universes, though W40K would be my favourite.

I know that the licences are separate but I can't help feeling that this is another sign that THQ is really struggling, as I would have thought they'd be the first to try to get such a licence.

News Comments > Far Cry 3 Released; Patched
60. Re: Far Cry 3 Released; Patched Dec 6, 2012, 06:40 theyarecomingforyou

Quinn wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 22:08:
You do realize it only looks like that when you're looking down the barrel of the gun, right? There hasn't been a single moment it annoyed. You're overreacting like a madman.
I said it was terrible, not that the universe was collapsing in on itself.

50. Re: Far Cry 3 Released; Patched Dec 5, 2012, 17:09 theyarecomingforyou

Beamer wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 15:31:
I think the only time I've noticed DoF in BL2 has been while sniping. I'm perfectly cool with it being there then.
It's pretty bad. Here's the comparison on the nVidia website:

DOF off
DOF on

I don't mind the concept of DOF in principle but the implementation in FC3 and BL2 is too extreme.

Verno wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 14:25:
I was disappointed to learn that Half-Life was just scripted really well, it wasn't really any advanced AI.
Yeah, but that was a long time ago. And I think it even advertised on the box about scripted sequences, as for the time it was cutting edge.

46. Re: Far Cry 3 Released; Patched Dec 5, 2012, 14:05 theyarecomingforyou

Bodolza wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 12:34:
F.E.A.R., which came out over 7 years ago. Not much excuse for crappy AI these days.
That's nostalgia. Half-Life also had great AI for its time but things move on. Plus you can't simply take the AI from a corridor shooter and apply it to an open world game like FC3. Even if you're talking about corridor shooters, Metro 2033 had better AI than FEAR.

37. Re: Far Cry 3 Released; Patched Dec 5, 2012, 12:07 theyarecomingforyou

avianflu wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 10:30:
so you guys are installing UPlay?! Really? Really?
Yup. It's barely any different to the launcher screens that used to accompany a lot of games. Sure it connects online, being that we now live in a connected era, but it works offline as well. Is it necessary? No. Does it interfere with my enjoyment of the game? Nope.

avianflu wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 10:51:
ArsTechnica complains about the enemi AI: the nice thing about FarCry 1 was that enemies in outdoor levels would not simply run straight at you.
Some enemies will run straight at you (typically the heavily armoured ones), others will run and slide behind cover, others will try to flank you, etc. Then there's the way that animals interact with enemies, which is really pretty decent. Personally I think the AI works well considering you're talking about an open game world, and it's certainly a lot better than the AI in the original Far Cry! Is it the pinnacle of gaming AI? Of course not, but I still think it's some of the best out there (which isn't saying much).

Just out of interest, what do people currently consider to be the best singleplayer AI for a FPS?

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Patched
4. Re: MechWarrior Online Patched Dec 5, 2012, 10:15 theyarecomingforyou

I really can't say I'm impressed with this game. Performance is fine but the visuals - even on maximum settings - are pretty terrible. I'm sure when they enable DX11 that things will improve but even in DX9 mode most games look a lot better.

As for the game, I still think the separate leg movement is unhelpful when playing with mouse & keyboard, especially when visually there is little to reinforce the relative difference. I know the older Mechwarrior games included it but I still think it could have been done better. It might just take some getting used to but a ten minute playthrough told me all I needed to know about the game - it may get better but it's not worth the effort when there are so many better games out there.

28. Re: Far Cry 3 Released; Patched Dec 5, 2012, 09:40 theyarecomingforyou

Creston wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 09:16:
I really, really, really wish game devs would get off their retarded "OMG DEPTH OF FIELD IS TEH SHITZZZ!" kick. It looks terrible and it actually negatively affects performance. WTF, devs?
Bordlerands 2 did the same thing, though it at least included an option to disable it.

News Comments > Dishonored Patched
6. Re: Dishonored Patched Dec 5, 2012, 08:53 theyarecomingforyou

Jerykk wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 00:01:
It would be nice if the Shadow achievement was retroactive. I was spotted once on the very first mission but didn't notice, then played through most of the game before I checked my stats for that mission. I replayed the level without getting noticed but apparently the achievement is based only on the save you completed the game with.
I agree. Given that the game is broken up into chapters it would make sense to recognise them individually, as otherwise it seems a bit pointless to allow you to replay a chapter. Then again, considering non-lethal kills can so easily turn into lethal kills (a body sliding down into water; rats randomly devouring unconscious enemies) the achievements are a bit niche and are really only for OCD-types. I think the game could have done more to reward stealth.

News Comments > Star Citizen FAQ; System Requirements
18. Re: Star Citizen FAQ; System Requirements Dec 5, 2012, 08:47 theyarecomingforyou

Dev wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 13:19:
And yes it is soon. They shouldn't have bothered until it got a little more optimized. They are more likely to scare away people at this point.
It's important to note that they have a different relationship to the consumer than most developers. For starters, they have already pulled in a huge amount of money and people are already committed to the project regardless of how it turns out. They also have a duty to inform their backers more like they would a proper publisher, which includes showing media much earlier than they normally would and giving approximate specs early on. I see such openness with the community as a very GOOD thing and it highlights the strengths of the PC community.

RAM is incredibly cheap, so that's not going to be an issue for upgrades. The GPU is more demanding than average but it's not an absolute minimum and it will be pretty cheap to get a powerful enough GPU at release.

24. Re: Far Cry 3 Released; Patched Dec 5, 2012, 08:20 theyarecomingforyou

Bhruic wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 02:11:
I like the game aspects, but the crafting is damn annoying. I suppose it was their way to force players to interact with the animals, but I'd much rather just be able to buy upgrades rather than have to craft them. Doesn't seem like it adds anything to the game at all.
It gets you to explore, which isn't a bad thing. Certainly I can't see such a system making it into any sequel but I think it's alright - it gives you something more to do, which was something Far Cry 2 was severely lacking.

I really love the antenna gameplay mechanic, as that really encourages exploring. The outpost system is also pretty cool, especially the way you get somewhere to quick travel and you then have friendly troops driving around the area. The side-missions - like killing people or animals - are a waste of time and could have been handled better.

I think Far Cry 3 is a great game. It's certainly not without its issues but I think when you look at it as a whole it's a very strong game, easily a contender for game of the year. Certainly it's a lot stronger than Far Cry 2, although I did very much like that game (even though some elements were poorly done). I'll have to complete the game and try out co-op before deciding whether I like it better than Borderlands 2 or Dishonored but it's definitely a step forward for the genre.

PS - With games like this I'm really intrigued as to what Valve is going to do with Half-Life 3, as open world elements are becoming pretty important to singleplayer FPS games.

News Comments > New NVIDIA Reference Drivers
35. Re: New NVIDIA Reference Drivers Dec 4, 2012, 16:54 theyarecomingforyou

Installed them straight over the last beta driver and - as always - it worked without issue. I'm on Windows 8 64bit here. The last issue I had with graphics drivers was installing a beta Windows 7 driver onto the Windows 8 Consumer Preview, so that wasn't surprising in the least!  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Slingshot
10. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Slingshot Dec 4, 2012, 13:38 theyarecomingforyou

It's showing now. At 5.49 ($9) I think I'll pass, as I've got enough games to keep me occupied until it goes on sale.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Slingshot
2. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Slingshot Dec 4, 2012, 10:50 theyarecomingforyou

Checks Steam. Sees DLC isn't there. Goes back to Far Cry 3.  

News Comments > Star Citizen FAQ; System Requirements
2. Re: Star Citizen FAQ; System Requirements Dec 4, 2012, 10:48 theyarecomingforyou

Fantaz wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 10:39:
GTX 460 or greater with 4GB as the minimum? Those are some pretty steep sys requirements...
Not for a game that's two years away.

5983 Comments. 300 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo