Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonas Taylor

Real Name Jonas Taylor   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname theyarecomingforyou
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 8, 2005, 11:25
Total Comments 6388 (Guru)
User ID 22891

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Fallout 4: No Level Cap; Play Past the Ending
25. Re: Fallout 4: No Level Cap; Play Past the Ending Aug 7, 2015, 05:40 theyarecomingforyou

Jerykk wrote on Aug 7, 2015, 01:57:
NewMaxx wrote on Aug 6, 2015, 21:52:
Ray Marden wrote on Aug 6, 2015, 19:21:
F4 doesn't seem like it is really pushing any new boundaries

Really? Huh. I got the opposite impression. New Vegas was more of the same, but FO4 seems to be adding way more advanced crafting, building, city and trade management, a new interface for power suits, a new skill system (from what I understand), better companion maintenance, and a whole lot more. That's what I gleaned from a video or two I've seen anyway. I don't think people want drastically different in other areas - it has to remain true to the Fallout universe and the engine needs to support modding to the extreme. To be honest when I saw the videos I was shocked by how many boundaries it was pushing.

New Vegas was better than FO3 is almost every way. Better quest design, better writing, better skill checks, better balancing, better perks, better companions, etc. It also added a needs system, greatly expanded crafting, a faction system, traits, iron sights, etc. FO4 is adding some new features too but nothing that would make it a better RPG. The writing will no doubt be as terrible as FO3's and the voiced protagonist, coupled with the 4-option dialogue wheel, means fewer dialogue options and less player agency.
Disagree. I didn't care for FO:NV at all. I found it to be a buggy, lazy release. After completing FO3 I had no interest in playing a glorified mod.

You constantly bash Bethesda for its storywriting but I really enjoy their games and think that the worlds they create are really rich and rewarding. You get far too caught up in whether they're good RPGs rather than whether they're good games.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Aug 2, 2015, 13:41 theyarecomingforyou

What the fuck is a religious site doing reporting on gaming news? Bizarre. I suppose next we'll see WeButcherCows.com covering interior design or AnalBleaching.com covering genocide in Rwanda.  

News Comments > etc., etc.
5. Re: etc., etc. Jul 31, 2015, 23:11 theyarecomingforyou

Dirwulf wrote on Jul 31, 2015, 23:08:
So what...do all dark skinned people look the same to you...?
If it had been any more similar they'd probably have been sued (and still might). The timing, after all the recent fuss, seems more than coincidental.

News Comments > GOG.com & Windows 10
19. Re: GOG.com & Windows 10 Jul 29, 2015, 15:17 theyarecomingforyou

What's lacking from Valve is any statement about Windows 10 support. While it's not Valve's responsibility to ensure compatibility is listed, they should at least have required publishers to test their games and list the status.

Most games won't have any issue but there will inevitably be some that have issues. I've come across games that didn't support Windows 8.1.

News Comments > Steam Security Hole Closed
8. Re: Steam Security Hole Closed Jul 27, 2015, 10:04 theyarecomingforyou

ViRGE wrote on Jul 27, 2015, 09:42:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 27, 2015, 09:01:
This is why you should always use Steam Guard. I'm surprised that so-called 'pros' wouldn't protect their accounts.
It's interesting that Steam Guard would have made a difference. It's just another code system. I wouldn't expect it to even come into play when resetting a password, since the reset code is functionally the same thing.
Steam Guard prevents unauthorised logins. It wouldn't have prevented the password from being modified but it would have prevented anyone other than the authorised user from being able to login, rendering the exploit useless.

News Comments > Steam Security Hole Closed
1. Re: Steam Security Hole Closed Jul 27, 2015, 09:01 theyarecomingforyou

This is why you should always use Steam Guard. I'm surprised that so-called 'pros' wouldn't protect their accounts.  

News Comments > Gears of War Ultimate on PC After Xbox
15. Re: Gears of War Ultimate on PC After Xbox Jul 23, 2015, 12:06 theyarecomingforyou

HoSpanky wrote on Jul 22, 2015, 15:12:
I don't get the hatred here. Win10 is technically free for the next year. OF COURSE they're going to tie DX12 to it, if they just....put out all the features for win10 into a prior version, it wouldn't be a new version of Windows.

It's like complaining that a game doesn't give out the content for all of its sequels, for free, because you bought the first game.
Let's be clear here, it's only free for the first year and then only to users of Win 7 and 8 - anyone on XP or Vista is out of luck. Also, there are a variety of reasons why people won't / can't upgrade to Win 10. For instance, my soundcard isn't compatible. At the moment I'm dual booting and had to buy myself a cheap USB soundstick. Other won't like the changes made, like the new Start Menu or the forced updates.

ViRGE wrote on Jul 22, 2015, 18:13:
You do realize that DX12 has been in development for a few years, right? It's not as if MS suddenly started work on it in September of 2013 after AMD announced Mantle.

And there's good reason to make it Win10 exclusive. It goes hand-in-hand with a bunch of changes at the DXGI/driver level in order to support the API, involving everything from how command buffers are processed to how thread scheduling works. This is the biggest change to the Windows graphics layer since Vista, and these kinds of changes couldn't be fully back-ported to Windows 8, let alone Windows 7.
Vulkan doesn't have those same restrictions and offers very similar performance. And that doesn't change the fact that DX12 was designed around the XB1 rather than on advancing PC gaming.

Microsoft has showed sustained contempt for PC gaming and re-releasing Gears Of War as a Windows 10 exclusive only rubs salt into the wound. Microsoft pulled the same shit when it made Halo 2 Vista exclusive.

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Free DLC
47. Re: The Witcher 3 Free DLC Jul 23, 2015, 12:00 theyarecomingforyou

InBlack wrote on Jul 23, 2015, 06:20:
Whatever man, I was just trying to help you out by showing how GOG's platfom is completely non-invasive but I guess you already knew that and for some reason completely chose to ignore it and post a whine about the 'greed' of some publishers. (AFAIK Steam's version is still the most expensive one sold, and thats on Valve)
It's the same price on GOG.com and Steam - it's only via third party websites that it's cheaper. And as I pointed out, it's 50% more than games used to cost not long ago. That's not a small price increase. I respect what CDPR has done with the game but not its business model.

InBlack wrote on Jul 23, 2015, 06:20:
You do know you can add non-Steam games to Steam right?
That doesn't have the same functionality - it doesn't keep games auto-updated, it doesn't keep track of hours played, it doesn't allow you to upload screenshots to the community, it doesn't have achievements, etc.

44. Re: The Witcher 3 Free DLC Jul 23, 2015, 06:01 theyarecomingforyou

InBlack wrote on Jul 23, 2015, 02:22:
Huh? Didnt you say that you dont like managing different accounts, and suddenly you have 600 games on Steam, Origin, Uplay, GOG and Bnet...This double-speak, double-think thing you have going on doesnt just relate to Starcitizen I guess...
I have the vast majority of games on Steam, around 500. The games I have on Origin are mostly duplicates activated from the Steam serial keys, Uplay because games on Steam require it, Battle.net because none of those games are available elsewhere and GOG.com because I grab all the free games and also activated TW2.

I'd rather they were all in one place. On Steam I can simply install the Steam client and have all my games up and running. On other platforms, like Uplay and GOG, it's a pain in the arse. That doesn't mean I don't have concerns about Steam's DRM and dominance in the market.

But sure, keep trying to catch me out if it entertains you.

36. Re: The Witcher 3 Free DLC Jul 22, 2015, 18:40 theyarecomingforyou

noman wrote on Jul 22, 2015, 14:53:
Mine is entirely opposite viewpoint. I have stopped buying even $1-2 games on Steam, because of its DRM. GOG's installers which you can download and then save and re-install without any restrictions at all are far far superior to any account locked game.
Don't get me wrong, I oppose DRM and hope that pressure from GOG will get Valve to drop it entirely. People buy games from Steam because of its convenience, not because of its ineffectual DRM.

Maybe now that the Galaxy client is out I'll give it a go. It just annoys me that you have to go to third party key sites to get a decent price. Steam used to have bigger discounts much sooner but now the sales are extremely underwhelming. The thing is I always install Steam, whereas I often don't get around to installing Origin, Uplay or Battle.net.

I wish Windows had a built-in games managed that would allow you to link to various services - like Steam, Origin, Battle.net - and keep them all in one place, automatically update them and chat between services. Then I'd be much more willing to buy games on other services. I am concerned about Steam's dominance but it's features and convenience are a lot better than the competition.

News Comments > On Star Citizen "Feature Creep" and More
81. Re: On Star Citizen Jul 22, 2015, 14:09 theyarecomingforyou

Kxmode wrote on Jul 22, 2015, 10:01:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 21, 2015, 16:55:
and Chris Roberts our George Lucas.

That much is true. 394,000 Google results for "George Lucas is a liar".
Without quotation marks around the search it's meaningless, as typing in "George Lucas is a god" returns 12.4m results. When you put both phrases in quotation marks there are more people who consider George Lucas a god (129,000) than consider him a liar (26,500).

25. Re: The Witcher 3 Free DLC Jul 22, 2015, 13:55 theyarecomingforyou

InBlack wrote on Jul 22, 2015, 09:22:
GOG doesnt even have a real client. Well thats not right, they have Galaxy but you dont need to use it. Just use the GOG downloader, download your game and all the patches, DLC etc. and you never have to log in again. (Unless you want to download new stuff). It's nothing like Steam, there is no DRM involved. Like I said their Galaxy client is completely optional. (Hell even the GOG downloader tool is optional, you can just follow the links on the page)
The Galaxy client is the only thing that makes GOG even slightly tolerable. I absolutely DESPISE installing games and the last thing I want to do after a clean install is to have to manually install 600 games (that's how many games I have on Steam, Origin, Uplay, GOG and Battle.net).

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jul 22, 2015, 11:05:
So you drop 500$ on star citizen which is a barely playable game with almost no content.

You bitch about 50 british pound game that's fucking amazing and people are sinking hundreds of hours into and saying it's probably the most complete game they've ever played.

Your logic is baffling.
Star Citizen has nothing to do with this discussion. That's a game that wouldn't have been made without crowdsourcing. Further, the amount I paid included multiple copies of the games as gifts and merchandise. Not at all comparable. I was pointing that the price of AAA games on Steam has increased by more than 50% in recent years, something I refuse to support.

More importantly, Star Citizen is available for $36 and has been discounted as low as $20 - not the near $80 that Steam and GOG.com are asking for TW3.

Frijoles wrote on Jul 22, 2015, 11:06:
I started diversifying my game library and buying from GOG when I can. I realized I had hundreds of games on Steam, and if anything ever happens to that account, they're all gone until it's resolved (if ever). The DRM free installers and cheaper prices helps too. And Galaxy makes the patching process easy to use.
If I were to ever lose access to my Steam library I'd stop buying games and pirate them instead. There's no point buying games if you're going to get screwed over. Fortunately there is no indication that will be necessary.

Flatline wrote on Jul 22, 2015, 12:04:
That's the thing. He *does* want to buy it now. And he can buy it dirt cheap from GOG directly or spend full price on Steam. But because he insists on buying through Steam he's just going to complain that CDPR is greedy.

Ignoring that he can totally download the game through GOG and then set it up to launch through Steam.
The game is equally expensive on GOG.com, it's only through third parties that the price is acceptable. Unfortunately going that route you have to download it via GOG.com.

Cutter wrote on Jul 22, 2015, 12:18:
G2A is your friend. I bought my copy - GoG verstion - for $38 CDN, they're selling for 18 Pounds on G2A right now - again the GoG version. Steam wants $60 CDN atm and they can kiss my ass.
Cheers for trying to help. They have a Steam key for $51 / £33, which is much more reasonable. It's still a lotóas I usually wait for games to go on saleóbut it's a hell of a lot more reasonable than Steam or GOG.com direct.

8. Re: Gears of War Ultimate on PC After Xbox Jul 22, 2015, 13:33 theyarecomingforyou

HoSpanky wrote on Jul 22, 2015, 09:38:
I disagree that they're "screwing over PC gamers". DX12 looks to be a pretty significant improvement, and if that's all they "contribute" to PC gaming, it's still apparently a big contribution.
DX12 is a massive FUCK YOU to PC gamers. Microsoft had all but abandoned DX to focus on consoles, when AMD brought out Mantle and offered low-level access to the hardware. It was only when it realised it might lose its dominance over PC gaming that Microsoft started work on DX12 and designed it around the XB1, which was losing out massively to the PS4. In typical Microsoft style it decided to make DX12 a Windows 10 exclusive.

To re-release the original Gears Of War on PC is just a massive insult, a reminder that Microsoft fucked over PC gamers with all the sequels. They're basically trying to get PC gamers to subsidise the cost of porting Gears Of War to XB1.

So yeah, fuck Microsoft and fuck this delay.

2. Re: The Witcher 3 Free DLC Jul 22, 2015, 09:16 theyarecomingforyou

I really want to grab this game but it's £50 / $78 on Steam, which is pathetic (new AAA games are usually £30-35 / $47-55). I can pick it up for £16 / $25 but it activates on GOG.com, whereas I own the other games on Steam and don't like managing multiple accounts.

It annoys me that prices on Steam have suddenly shot up recently, with lots of games now charging £50. I refuse to spend that much and if there isn't a decent sale any time soon I might just skip it. It's not like I have a shortage of games.

Publishers are getting greedy.

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm Team League Bans Coming
1. Re: Heroes of the Storm Team League Bans Coming Jul 22, 2015, 09:10 theyarecomingforyou

Not surprising, as Dota 2 already supports this.  

1. Re: Gears of War Ultimate on PC After Xbox Jul 22, 2015, 09:09 theyarecomingforyou

What a surprise. Perhaps I'd give a shit if Microsoft was updating and releasing the rest of the franchise as well. What's the point of only being able to play the first game?

It's the same with Halo: The Master Chief Collection. Microsoft went to the effort of updating it for XB1 but didn't give a shit about releasing it on PC.

Microsoft is suffering this generation and screwing over PC gamers isn't helping the company.

News Comments > No Man's Sky Trailer
21. removed Jul 22, 2015, 07:52 theyarecomingforyou

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jul 22, 2015, 08:16.

News Comments > Star Citizen FPS May Come Next Month
153. Re: Star Citizen FPS May Come Next Month Jul 22, 2015, 06:05 theyarecomingforyou

Kosumo wrote on Jul 21, 2015, 19:28:
My issue is when people are presenting information that is demonstrably wrong and/or misleading.

Like when you said yesterday -

They have 15% of the company working on the FPS module. And yes, my quote is direct from Chris Roberts.

Which is wrong and misleading due to Chris Roberts saying outwise in the very interview that this thread is about.
He said 'a large amount of the company' is working on the FPS module, which doesn't given us any idea of the percentage of people working on it. That's why I used the quote from a few weeks back where CR mentions the 15% figure. We also don't know whether that 15% relates just to CIG or contracted studios, of which Illfonic is the latter.

However, in another video - which I hadn't seen at the time - he says more people have been moved onto the project. My intention wasn't to mislead, I just hadn't seen it at that time. I apologise for that. Even if that number has doubled - which is possible but seems unlikely - you're talking about a very short timeframe and you're talking about features that benefit other modules - netcode, animations, etc.

As I said originally, the game is being developed in a modular manner in order to minimise delays and the FPS module is being developed by an outside studio. There's nothing to disagree with in that statement. That doesn't mean delays can't / won't happen but a two month delay on FPS doesn't necessarily mean a two month delay on other modules, at least according to Chris Roberts. But obviously anything he says regarding release dates has to be taken with a truck full of salt.

News Comments > No Man's Sky Trailer
1. Re: No Man's Sky Trailer Jul 21, 2015, 18:59 theyarecomingforyou

I'm really quite impressed with the scope of the game. If the gameplay is actually fun then I could see myself sinking a lot of hours into it. It's also a great showcase for procedural generation.  

News Comments > Star Citizen FPS May Come Next Month
151. Re: Star Citizen FPS May Come Next Month Jul 21, 2015, 18:56 theyarecomingforyou

Rigs wrote on Jul 21, 2015, 15:13:
Dude, I'm an original backer, UEE Citizen Record #30143, Enlisted Oct 9, 2012 and hold a Golden Ticket. That, however, gives me jack shit authority to tell others to stuff it when it comes to their opinions on how this project is going. As seen in this thread and the many others on Blues like it, we all have our own opinions and nothing, absolutely nothing will change that. Agreeing to disagree is your only 'out' here. I suggest you respectfully take it and save it to battle another day...
Nice. I'm #10002, enlisted Sep 11, 2012. I was simply pointing out that a lot of people complaining either backed after the Kickstarter or haven't backed the game at all, making their outrage all the less credible. I don't claim that my opinion is better or more right; everyone is entitled to their opinion, of course. My issue is when people are presenting information that is demonstrably wrong and/or misleading.

I'm the first to acknowledge the issues associated with the game - the funding model, the lack of updates, the balance issues, the delays, the potential P2W factor, etc. I'm also aware that while I'm a fan of the game and actively follow it (I watch AtV, RtV, 10FTC and TNGSS; read the monthly updates, comm links; post on the forums, etc) that others sit on the opposite side of the fence and I don't fault people for being sceptical. If I wasn't such a fan of the genre and Chris Roberts' previous games I'd likely be one of them. But I absolutely think that some people in this topic, mostly on the negative side, are way out of line and only interested in provoking the opposite side. I think that despite being a self-admitted fan of the game that I'm reasonably objective, whereas others are clearly not.

6388 Comments. 320 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo