Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonas Taylor

Real Name Jonas Taylor   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname theyarecomingforyou
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 8, 2005, 11:25
Total Comments 6347 (Guru)
User ID 22891

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Origin Accounts Becoming EA Accounts
16. Re: Origin Accounts Becoming EA Accounts Jul 19, 2015, 15:12 theyarecomingforyou

Kxmode wrote on Jul 19, 2015, 11:39:
Their Origin branding campaign - much like Chris Roberts' latest game - is a failure.
The trollforce is strong in this one.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Brothers In Arms Rearming
18. Re: Brothers In Arms Rearming Jul 17, 2015, 23:37 theyarecomingforyou

Quboid wrote on Jul 17, 2015, 09:18:
I've now been annoyed by how bad BiA: Hell's Highway was for longer than World War 2 lasted.
I thought BiA:HH was excellent. The narrative had emotional resonance, which was unusual for the time.

That said, I have zero faith in Gearbox delivering a quality product any more.

News Comments > Cloud Imperium on Star Citizen Refunds
110. Re: Cloud Imperium on Star Citizen Refunds Jul 16, 2015, 15:03 theyarecomingforyou

grudgebearer wrote on Jul 16, 2015, 11:20:
How is that not the veritable definition of hypocrisy? You are giving CIG a pass for doing something that you would criticize EA or any other company for doing. Whether or not a company has resources or not, doesn't have any bearing on whether or not the practice of selling in-game assets for actually currency, before there is even a playable game to be had, is a terrible business model. It would be terrible for EA to do it, and it's terrible for CIG to do it, and the only reason you are defending it is because you are in love with the dream of Star Citizen, and you are willing to embrace hypocrisy in the hopes of seeing that dream fulfilled.
It's not hypocrisy. My position is rather simple - if a company can afford to make a game like this then they should fund it themselves; if they cannot, and it would not be made any other way, then it is acceptable. That's no different to me saying that rich people should pay inheritance tax while poor people should be exempt.

Plenty of artists charge upfront for their work, yet when a video game developer does suddenly you flip your lid. Should the Mona Lisa not have been painted had Leonardo da Vinci not been able to afford the paints and canvas, or would it have been acceptable for him to ask a benefactor to provide them in return for a percentage of his work?

What was pitched in the kickstarter...is not what is being sold now. You can argue every way from Sunday, but people who pledged based off of Squadron 42, or the persistent space sim universe, are now getting a product that is completely different than what was presented during the pledge period. Don't give me that "Roberts was always going to make an FPS-world-space, because that's not what was sold to kickstarters. If Chris Robert's was in this for the passion, he'd have started this project with his own cash, and then presented a functional prototype, before he started asking everyone else to fund his pipe dream.
You're talking shit. The game now is everything that was promised in the Kickstarter and more. I pledged at the beginning and consider the game to be completely in-line with that pitch. FPS combat was promised in the $3.5m and $5m stretch goals BEFORE the end of the Kickstarter - anyone not interested could have cancelled their pledge.

The game now is simply an expanded version of what was promised. The idea that it's "completely different" is without merit and patently hyperbolic.

The term "necessary evil" is only used by people to justify terrible behavior.
Fucking hell, mate - we're not talking about the Holocaust here. We're talking about a bloody video game. Apply some god-damn perspective.

News Comments > No PC Batman: Arkham Knight Until Fall?
21. Re: No PC Batman: Arkham Knight Until Fall? Jul 16, 2015, 14:29 theyarecomingforyou

Quinn wrote on Jul 16, 2015, 14:02:
If only they improved their data streaming a little so I would suffer a tad less micro-stuttering, it wouldve been enough for me. Now that it's off the shelves, I feel like I can say goodbye to the occasional patch that would've included said fix.

What most of you fail to realize is that this game is motherfucking gorgeous. The level of detail is insane all across the city. I honestly think that 80+% of the whiners simply have too weak a PC. The recommended specs were a lie.
If the game doesn't support SLI, as was mentioned earlier, then you can't say it's about not having the specs. I have a GTX 970 SLI setup and game at 1600p - without SLI I'm simply not going to get the performance I expect.

You can't say it's just whiners when the publisher considered the game so bad they decided to pull it entirely and spend months fixing it. I mean the game was capped at 30fps, FFS! Wanker Bros fucked up.

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade Switches to Unreal Engine 4
6. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade Switches to Unreal Engine 4 Jul 16, 2015, 13:18 theyarecomingforyou

It looks very similar to Space Marine, which was actually a really good game.

Just because it was announced two years ago doesn't mean production began at full pace - they might have just been exploring design options and tech solutions. Their website previously said the engine was 'TBA' and as far as I'm aware they didn't actually announce they were using any other engine, so I'm not sure there's actually been a change.

Nothing I've seen so far has me particularly impressed but then I thought Space Marine looked terrible yet it was incredibly fun to play.

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade Switches to Unreal Engine 4
2. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade Switches to Unreal Engine 4 Jul 16, 2015, 11:48 theyarecomingforyou

Random trivia: Behaviour Interactive is also one of the developers working on Star Citizen.  

104. Re: Cloud Imperium on Star Citizen Refunds Jul 16, 2015, 10:25 theyarecomingforyou

grudgebearer wrote on Jul 16, 2015, 08:16:
Giving CIG a pass on what is and always was a terrible business model that fleeces the gullible into purchasing concept art on the promise that by purchasing the art it will one day be a playable asset in game, all the while stating that EA shouldn't do the same thing is staggeringly hypocritical.
It's not hypocritical. If a company that has access to vast resources, like EA or Activision, did it then I'd be opposed because they could afford to make such a game without asking consumers to pay for an unfinished project. But CIG had no such resources and had approached various publishers without success. They are two very different scenarios.

grudgebearer wrote on Jul 16, 2015, 08:16:
Basically it's ok for CIG to sell in-game assets (years before they are available in a playable game) for massive amounts of money, because CIG couldn't get a publisher to work with him and give him unlimited cash to burn? If you think Star Citizen is about anything more than making money, then you are deluding yourself to a point where you should seek medical help.
Nobody is being forced to buy the game and everybody has been made aware of the risks. Of course the game is intended to make money but I disagree that making money is the only goal. I sincerely believe that Chris Roberts is making this game because of his passion, not because of money.

As I said, I don't like the funding model but am rational enough to accept it was a necessary evil. You're free to disagree. If you don't want to back the game then don't.

News Comments > No PC Batman: Arkham Knight Until Fall?
4. Re: No PC Batman: Arkham Knight Until Fall? Jul 16, 2015, 09:55 theyarecomingforyou

jomisab wrote on Jul 16, 2015, 09:48:
I would not be surprised if it's never re-released for PC. They will delay and delay and delay until it fades from memory....except for those who already bought it and never get it fixed properly.
Nah, it'll be fixed to prevent a lawsuit. It just might not be fixed to a particularly great level.

News Comments > Gearbox May Outsource Next Duke Nukem
39. Re: DOOM Reboot Jul 16, 2015, 06:37 theyarecomingforyou

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jul 15, 2015, 22:36:
Don't get me wrong, I actually really liked how the Doom(4) trailer looked. But seriously, we've all reached the age where the target demographic is at least 15-20 years younger.
That's just because we've all got older. Do you know how old I was when I first played Doom? I was eight. Don't get me wrong though, my parents were responsible and sat me down to explain the violence in the game and how it wasn't real. But let's not pretend that kids don't play violent video games.

94. Re: Cloud Imperium on Star Citizen Refunds Jul 15, 2015, 19:51 theyarecomingforyou

Kosumo wrote on Jul 15, 2015, 19:01:
I'd like to know if you think selling/pledging a ship in a 'concept' ready stage for ~10 times the price of a whole AAA computer game, for a game that is not ready, or close too, is a sound model for software development?
Yes and no. If this was EA or Activision doing it I couldn't be more critical, as they have the resources to make games without such a business model. However, this game wouldn't have been made otherwise and ship sales have allowed them to make this game the scale it is. In an ideal world this business model should never be used.

Kosumo wrote on Jul 15, 2015, 19:01:
So you think that making a promise that you will get this ship at sometime in some state for a game that you will get at sometime that itself will only be in some state, is where it would be good if PC gaming headed towards?
No. Anyone not willing to lose any money they pledge shouldn't be spending money on this game. Those people should wait until the retail release before making a decision on buying the game.

My hope is that if CIG becomes an established and financially independent studio as a result of this game that it would not use this business model again. Valve is a great example - they took the success of the Half-Life franchise and used that to establish themselves as an independent company. Now they're not beholden to anyone and can experiment with disruptive business models, like that of Dota 2. Hopefully CIG can do something similar.

This genre was dead before Star Citizen. This was the only way this game was going to get made. Being my favourite genre I was happy to gamble on it.

News Comments > Op Ed
103. Re: Op Ed Jul 15, 2015, 18:51 theyarecomingforyou

Posting that comment in every Star Citizen topic... really? Classic trolling.  

91. Re: Cloud Imperium on Star Citizen Refunds Jul 15, 2015, 18:49 theyarecomingforyou

Kosumo wrote on Jul 15, 2015, 17:50:
Really? You believe that? Could you tell me what you think is a 'ready' state for a ship to be sold in.
As I'm sure you're aware, there are three stages in which a ship is sold - when they're concept ready, when they're hangar ready and when they're flight ready. Each stage is pretty self-explanatory, so I'm not sure what you're expecting me to say.

30. Re: DOOM Reboot Jul 15, 2015, 17:16 theyarecomingforyou

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jul 15, 2015, 15:27:
On the one hand, this makes sense; some(most?) of their target audience wasn't even alive when Doom 1 came out. On the other hand, the slow inexorable rape of my childhood continues. :o
There's really no need for continuity. Doom 1 and 2 had precisely ZERO dialogue and Doom 3 SHOULD have had precisely zero dialogue, as it was bloody awful. None of the games had a plot. Therefore I'm perfectly fine with a reboot.

Personally I loved the trailer. It had a really retro feel to it, with very modern style. However, the entire trailer looked prerendered and more target gameplay than anything else - I'd be surprised if the final game is anything like it. If it is it should be a blast.

And yes, a new Duke Nukem done in the style of the Doom reboot would be a smash hit.

86. Re: Cloud Imperium on Star Citizen Refunds Jul 15, 2015, 17:08 theyarecomingforyou

Julio wrote on Jul 15, 2015, 16:15:
Looking forward to the articles. There's an element here who have invested thousands in Star Citizen that don't want to know the truth.
If you think that Derek 'Desktop Commander' Smart is telling the 'truth' then I suggest you seek psychiatric help. I'm not even joking.

80. Re: Cloud Imperium on Star Citizen Refunds Jul 15, 2015, 15:49 theyarecomingforyou

descender wrote on Jul 15, 2015, 15:34:
What possessed you to use Blue's forum as your personal sounding board for this crap in the first place? The only thing I can figure is that he rarely ever bans anyone, so it's a safe place for "the way you are" online.
Nailed it. Nowhere else tolerates him.

78. Re: Cloud Imperium on Star Citizen Refunds Jul 15, 2015, 15:25 theyarecomingforyou

Sorry, I forgot to post this.  

77. Re: Cloud Imperium on Star Citizen Refunds Jul 15, 2015, 15:16 theyarecomingforyou

You got your refund, now go away.  

75. Re: Cloud Imperium on Star Citizen Refunds Jul 15, 2015, 14:28 theyarecomingforyou

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 15, 2015, 13:05:
people imo show valid concerns, some over the top or inaccurate, perhaps. But this game has all the makings of "too good to be true" and that is the nerve that is being hit. Promise after promise, we need more money after we need more money, more delays than deliverables.
CIG has deliberately downplayed the funding aspect of the game. The stretch goals were stopped, the funding counter removed from the main page, no announcements are made for funding milestones (except for the occasion big one), etc. Ships are sold as and when they're ready but many are being held back for the singleplayer campaign and will never be sold.

As for the 'promises', you can't take every single statement as gospel. There are hundreds of developers working there - sometimes they make mistakes, sometimes the features they discuss simply aren't practical and sometimes there are other reasons (i.e. balance). Some people take an off the cuff remark and treat it as if that's the most important feature in the game. Sometimes people simply read into comments what's not there.

Here's a great example. A developer made a joke to another developer not being able to do Rambo-like one hit knife kills and somebody twisted that to be confirmation of one hit knife kills. Some of the people following the game are zealots and simply not connected with reality.

Kxmode wrote on Jul 15, 2015, 12:53:
I'm glad this site is a beacon of free speech unlike the official Star Citizen forums and Star Citizen Reddit. You are absolutely not allowed to express opposing viewpoints or dissent. It will result in posting delays / ban (Reddit mods) or tiered bans (official forums).

To quote the famous line from The Two Towers: "You have no power here." You do not get to make demands. Now, go away.
There's no obligation for them to be bastions of free speech. They're places for discussing the game and unfortunately there are people who abuse it. A lot of people complain about topics on the RSI forums being merged or moved to the Concern section but that's just to make the forums manageable - you have hundreds of people posting similar topics about the same handful of issues and it's hard to have any sensible discussions. Rarely are topics locked and if so it's only because they're troll topics or about trolls (i.e. they've been closing discussions about Derek Smart because he's a professional troll). Reddit is a separate entity, so if you're having posts removed from both I'd suggest you're doing something wrong.

There are plenty of highly critical, scathing topics on both the RSI forums and Reddit. People have to go really out of their way to get banned. People forget that Blue's News is one of the least moderated and restricted sites out there. Think of Blue's as McDonald's - there's no dress code and they only get upset if you get your willy out and urinate on customers; the RSI forums are more like an average restaurant - they expect you to dress sensibly and not disrupt other customers but they're hardly demanding.

17. Re: Gearbox May Outsource Next Duke Nukem Jul 15, 2015, 11:42 theyarecomingforyou

El Pit wrote on Jul 15, 2015, 09:41:
Exactly, do a kickstarter that includes a persiistent dukeverse, boarding of strippers, tps and fps interaction with poledancers, limited editions of flyable machines, and much, much more. Add any stretch goals that comes to mind until you reach $80,000,000+, and open plenty of studios all over the world working on different modules for the game. When it comes to a release date, say "2018" and add "in Duke Nukem time", and everybody knows that this means "Right after the full release of Star Citizen".
If people want to fund a project like that then let them. I doubt such a Kickstarter would get far as they have no credibility.

5. Re: Gearbox May Outsource Next Duke Nukem Jul 15, 2015, 09:35 theyarecomingforyou

If they're too small to handle the projects then expand. It's one thing to outsource aspects of the game to outside contractors but it's another entirely to outsource the entire game.

As Gearbox pointed out, Duke Nukem is a big franchise and has massive brand recognition. If they do it right it could be their biggest game to date. This to me sounds like it will be a shovelware sequel.

6347 Comments. 318 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo