Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonas Taylor

Real Name Jonas Taylor   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname theyarecomingforyou
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 8, 2005, 11:25
Total Comments 6041 (Guru)
User ID 22891

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Aliens: Colonial Marines
126. Re: Ships Ahoy - Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 12, 2013, 23:21 theyarecomingforyou

nin wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 21:14:
RPS weighs in, and it's not good...
That review is hilarious! Although it's completely different to any other review I've read it does a very good job of conveying why the game is bad and why it's not worth buying, even if it's on sale.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Aliens: Colonial Marines
122. Re: Ships Ahoy - Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 12, 2013, 22:39 theyarecomingforyou

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 20:16:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf5Uj4XIT1Y
Wow. I thought the media coming out for the game looked really bad but I never thought it was going to be THIS bad! The highest review score comes from a newspaper that doesn't even have much coverage of games. Currently it's being outscored by Duke Nukem Forever.

News Comments > New Arkham Game Revealed
6. Re: New Arkham Game Revealed Feb 12, 2013, 10:34 theyarecomingforyou

I want to know who the developer is, as Rocksteady Studios was reportedly working on a TMNT game.  

News Comments > Tomb Raider Trailer
17. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 12, 2013, 08:34 theyarecomingforyou

Jerykk wrote on Feb 11, 2013, 23:28:
So much focus on combat. The TR series has always been known for platforming and puzzles, not combat, so why is this one focusing on combat and dumbing down the platforming and puzzle-solving? Oh, right, gotta appeal to the CoD demographic.
We don't know that yet. Obviously they're showing off the new gameplay elements, like combat, as something new but that doesn't necessarily mean there isn't a lot of traditional puzzle solving. Underworld increased the amount of combat but it was still a very good TR game.

Jerykk wrote on Feb 11, 2013, 23:28:
Also, there doesn't appear to be any correlation between gameplay and story. Lara is supposed to be inexperienced, yet she runs around murdering hardened killers left and right.
But we don't know how far into the game this section is, nor do we know what's come before. The earlier videos show her to be weak and vulnerable, so it's not all like this.

I didn't watch much of the video because I didn't want to spoil the game as I've already got it preordered but the graphics look decent (like the previous games were) and it looks like they're changed things up enough to keep it fresh. Hopefully there's plenty in the way of tomb raiding, as otherwise the franchise has jumped the shark - I'm not interested in the combat, more the narrative and puzzles.

News Comments > RAGE Tool Kit
47. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 9, 2013, 14:25 theyarecomingforyou

netnerd85 wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 13:57:
Is this it? If that is the type of thing you guys are talking about, thats fucking pathetic.
Yeah, that's what we're talking about - except most were a lot more obvious than that. And you're right, it is pathetic that a modern game would implement them so crudely. Everywhere you went there were invisible walls preventing you from going where you'd be able to in any other game. No other game I can think of featured invisible walls so obvious and so numerous - not even games like Half-Life, released over 14yrs ago.

Was it a big deal on its own? No. Combined with all the other shit? Absolutely. id Software has absolutely no idea what constitutes a good first person shooter any more, despite them effectively creating the genre. It's rather sad.

42. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 9, 2013, 13:49 theyarecomingforyou

netnerd85 wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 10:27:
I have played the game for 43 hours.

Where is one invisible wall?
Wall2

I can respect differences of opinion but not outright denial of basic, well-documented facts.

32. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 9, 2013, 08:41 theyarecomingforyou

netnerd85 wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 08:10:
What are you talking about? You can save any where you want. The auto save feature is fine.
The game autosaves at very irregular intervals, meaning those who don't abuse the quicksave function are penalised significantly more than in other games.

Invisible walls? Bullshit. There are walls. They are visible. Clearly.
You clearly didn't play the game if you didn't notice the invisible walls.

insta-death for exploring freely? WHAT? where?
If you go off the dotted path on the mini-map you are frequently killed, which I found out the hard way. Take the very beginning of the game, for instance - if you choose to walk around rather than get in the vehicle then BOOM, insta-death. When you first get a vehicle if you choose a different path to the one shown then BOOM, insta-death. You clearly didn't play the game much.

Terrible AI? huh? each clan acts differently. Are you blind?
Acting differently != good AI. The AI is very whack-a-mole, it's so predictable. That's exacerbated by the level design, which barely gives you anything other than a corridor to walk along. The AI was hyped up but was actually worse than most contemporary games.

Crude inventory system? What? I'm sorry. WHAT! have you seen other systems like... Skyrims for instance. That's terrible. There is NOTHING wrong with the inventory system in Rage, NOTHING at all.
Fuck man, are you married to Carmack?

pagb wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 08:02:
Your complains are still centered in visuals, so Verno is still right. The visual glithces you show, are Ati's... the texture streaming is a lot worse in borderlands 2...
The game was hyped on its visuals, so it's only fair that it be judged by them. As for texture streaming, it's certainly not worse in BL2.

the gameplay "issues" you mention are mostly standard quirks in nowadays FPSs (console FPSs ported for PC ofc). But any other than that, people were unexpainable expecting too much from this game, didn't anyone play doom3? It didn't bring anything new into the scene!
RAGE was a backwards step from Doom 3 in many respects - it didn't have dynamic lighting, dynamic skies, as high quality textures, etc.

And don't tell me "Willits said that" or "Carmack said what"... all the previews and promises made by devs nowadays are pure bs. I remember a chat were Willits said "We have shotguns", I mean... really?
Yeah, heaven forbid that a developer include the mod tools that they SAID were going to be included. Fuck you. If you want to suck on Carmack's man-juice then that's up to you but don't pretend to be slightly objective about the matter.

28. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 9, 2013, 07:42 theyarecomingforyou

Verno wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 21:46:
Hey man, as a guy who paid $60 and preordered, I really didn't like Rage much but I think calling it outright shit is a bit harsh. Call it average and unambitious, call it conflicted and design by committee but shit is a bit much, especially when the complaints are just centered around the visuals.
My brother bought it for me as a birthday present and I played it day one. There were terrible issues with stuttering, texture streaming and glitches. Then there were the design issues, like the terrible quality textures (seriously, max quality), low polygon objects and dodgy lighting. Then there were the gameplay issues, like a virtual useless autosave implementation, insta-death if you explored freely, terrible AI, invisible walls (they were EVERYWHERE), the terrible vehicle physics, crude inventory system, etc. And of course there's the way that Carmack fucked over the PC community, with mod tools (promised at release) and higher resolution textures (which he said a) existed, and b) were going to be tested as a DLC pack). Finally you have the huge amount of hype.

There were more problems with it than there were redeeming features. Some parts were entertaining - and I managed to complete it - but overall it easily ranks as a shit game.

8. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 8, 2013, 21:37 theyarecomingforyou

Dev wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 21:13:
I just googled for info on that promised high res texture pack...

Did they REALLY say they didn't bother to have the stuff at higher resolutions so can't produce one? WTF? Then why promise one? Did you guys really make the textures at just near console res and have no larger originals?
That was the excuse. Carmack talked up how the 200GB of textures had to be compressed down and optimised for 1080p, then he claimed that after looking at the higher resolution versions they weren't actually much (if any) better quality and scrapped the idea. It's all bullshit. The game tanked and it clearly wasn't cost effective for him to support it.

The game was shit because it was designed to run at 60fps on consoles. In order to do that they had to drop dynamic lighting, gut the texture quality and make objects with incredibly low polygon counts - it's why the game includes fucking sprites.

Carmack destroyed his reputation with RAGE.

2. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 8, 2013, 21:05 theyarecomingforyou

Too little, too late.  

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines Season Pass and Bug Hunt DLC Announced
57. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Season Pass and Bug Hunt DLC Announced Feb 8, 2013, 20:46 theyarecomingforyou

Verno wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 20:20:
Getting away from the larger drama for a moment, one thing that bugs me a bit is when people claim others can't judge something based on preview material. That's the whole purpose of preview material, to get you to judge and hopefully buy the product before its released. To act like people can't form opinions or have expectations based on it is absurd, that's the purpose of it in the first place. It's glorified advertising, not an ancient manuscript that needs to be authenticated. We aren't handing out review scores, it's just opinions or thoughts.
Exactly. I can usually tell from preview media whether I'm going to enjoy a game or not and right now I'm not liking what I'm seeing. There's no way I'll be preordering it but I'll check out the user comments upon release and might pick it up on sale if the response is positive.

News Comments > Why Borderlands 2 Level Cap is Still 50
13. Re: Why Borderlands 2 Level Cap is Still 50 Feb 8, 2013, 11:16 theyarecomingforyou

ItBurn wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 10:41:
It's a failure of design if when you reach the cap you have "all skills" and are just like every other character.
Exactly. What's the point in levelling up if by the time you get to max level your character is identical to everybody else's? It's better to force people to choose how to build their character, especially as you can reset skill points for respecs.

News Comments > Origin for OS X
1. Re: Origin for OS X Feb 8, 2013, 11:01 theyarecomingforyou

Welcome to 2010 EA.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Feb 8, 2013, 08:09 theyarecomingforyou

xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 23:12:
ALL packages are "dropped". You ever seen a truck get un\loaded? Or work in a warehouse? Absolutley EVERYTHING is "dropped".
That's why it's configured to only detect drops above a certain threshold.

News Comments > Tomb Raider Gold
19. Re: Tomb Raider Gold Feb 7, 2013, 19:31 theyarecomingforyou

Cutter wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 18:19:
I've never even played any of the Tomb Raider games. Probably because I never had a problem getting girls IRL
Ha, the jokes in this topic are hilarious!

Optional nickname wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 17:49:
Tomb Raider was responsible for every computer enthusiast to buy ourselves a Voodoo 3DFX addon card, back in the day.
It was Half-Life (and to a lesser degree Quake 2) that got me to buy a 3DFX card and it was definitely worth it, as by that time the Voodoo2 and Voodoo Banshee had been released. I never cared for the original Quake, so I had no need for the original Voodoo card. It was around that time I upgraded to a 17" CRT and considered it massive over the 15" I'd been using before.

News Comments > Tomb Raider Gold
11. Re: Tomb Raider Gold Feb 7, 2013, 17:10 theyarecomingforyou

I'm looking forward to it. I really enjoyed the previous games and when I saw it discounted to 17.55 / $28 on GMG I figured it was worth taking a gamble on.  

News Comments > Valve/J.J. Abrams Collaboration? Half-Life or Portal Movie?
23. Re: Valve/J.J. Abrams Collaboration? Half-Life or Portal Movie? Feb 6, 2013, 17:40 theyarecomingforyou

ItBurn wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 16:12:
I liked the new Star Trek as a movie on it's own, but it's a Star Trek blasphemy. They totally destroyed the previous Star Trek legacy. It barely has links, other than character names. It's a dumbed down mindless explosion fest.
As a Star Trek fan - having watched every episode of every series and every film - I completely disagree. Alternate universes are already established canon and doing so gives him the freedom to reinvent the franchise without contradicting existing canon. The lens flare in the film was terrible but overall it was a compelling new addition to the franchise.

As for a Half-Life movie by JJ Abrams, that would be better than giving it to a nobody director. I really liked Fringe (earlier seasons), Lost and Star Trek, so to me it sounds very promising.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion
32. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 3, 2013, 15:23 theyarecomingforyou

Quboid wrote on Feb 3, 2013, 14:52:
No, no it isn't. Political correctness is why you can't make hiring or firing decisions based on race or gender. Political correctness is why one one of the UK's big 3 political parties no longer uses the slogan "If you want a nigger for a neighbour, vote Liberal or Labour" (them being the other 2 big parties at the time). Political correctness is the ideal of considering others' feeling and not being an asshole. When someone (usually a newspaper columnist who considers that political party to be a bit 'soft') uses the phrase "it's political correctness gone mad", that's code for "now when I'm a bigoted asshole, people call me out on it". This is nothing but a very good thing.

This garbage isn't political correctness. This is stupidity, with a large hint of repressed racism.
+1

News Comments > Prey 2 Countdown?
1. Re: Prey 2 Countdown? Feb 2, 2013, 18:01 theyarecomingforyou

I assumed that this project was dead but it would be nice to see it released. Let's hope this isn't a wind-up.  

News Comments > Console Grand Theft Auto V in September
43. Re: Console Grand Theft Auto V in September Jan 31, 2013, 18:28 theyarecomingforyou

As I said, to me the experience that consoles provide is unacceptable. Consoles have: upto 77.5% few pixels than a single-monitor setup or 86% fewer than a multi-monitor 1200p setup; lower resolution textures; half the framerate; no / poor anti-aliasing; longer loading times; limited input devices; no 3D, hardware tessellation or hardware physics, etc. We're not talking about a slight difference here. Even the next-gen consoles won't be able to compete with top-end PCs now.  

6041 Comments. 303 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo