Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonas Taylor

Real Name Jonas Taylor   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname theyarecomingforyou
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 8, 2005, 11:25
Total Comments 5910 (Guru)
User ID 22891

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Dishonored Patched
6. Re: Dishonored Patched Dec 5, 2012, 08:53 theyarecomingforyou

Jerykk wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 00:01:
It would be nice if the Shadow achievement was retroactive. I was spotted once on the very first mission but didn't notice, then played through most of the game before I checked my stats for that mission. I replayed the level without getting noticed but apparently the achievement is based only on the save you completed the game with.
I agree. Given that the game is broken up into chapters it would make sense to recognise them individually, as otherwise it seems a bit pointless to allow you to replay a chapter. Then again, considering non-lethal kills can so easily turn into lethal kills (a body sliding down into water; rats randomly devouring unconscious enemies) the achievements are a bit niche and are really only for OCD-types. I think the game could have done more to reward stealth.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen FAQ; System Requirements
18. Re: Star Citizen FAQ; System Requirements Dec 5, 2012, 08:47 theyarecomingforyou

Dev wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 13:19:
And yes it is soon. They shouldn't have bothered until it got a little more optimized. They are more likely to scare away people at this point.
It's important to note that they have a different relationship to the consumer than most developers. For starters, they have already pulled in a huge amount of money and people are already committed to the project regardless of how it turns out. They also have a duty to inform their backers more like they would a proper publisher, which includes showing media much earlier than they normally would and giving approximate specs early on. I see such openness with the community as a very GOOD thing and it highlights the strengths of the PC community.

RAM is incredibly cheap, so that's not going to be an issue for upgrades. The GPU is more demanding than average but it's not an absolute minimum and it will be pretty cheap to get a powerful enough GPU at release.

News Comments > Far Cry 3 Released; Patched
24. Re: Far Cry 3 Released; Patched Dec 5, 2012, 08:20 theyarecomingforyou

Bhruic wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 02:11:
I like the game aspects, but the crafting is damn annoying. I suppose it was their way to force players to interact with the animals, but I'd much rather just be able to buy upgrades rather than have to craft them. Doesn't seem like it adds anything to the game at all.
It gets you to explore, which isn't a bad thing. Certainly I can't see such a system making it into any sequel but I think it's alright - it gives you something more to do, which was something Far Cry 2 was severely lacking.

I really love the antenna gameplay mechanic, as that really encourages exploring. The outpost system is also pretty cool, especially the way you get somewhere to quick travel and you then have friendly troops driving around the area. The side-missions - like killing people or animals - are a waste of time and could have been handled better.

I think Far Cry 3 is a great game. It's certainly not without its issues but I think when you look at it as a whole it's a very strong game, easily a contender for game of the year. Certainly it's a lot stronger than Far Cry 2, although I did very much like that game (even though some elements were poorly done). I'll have to complete the game and try out co-op before deciding whether I like it better than Borderlands 2 or Dishonored but it's definitely a step forward for the genre.

PS - With games like this I'm really intrigued as to what Valve is going to do with Half-Life 3, as open world elements are becoming pretty important to singleplayer FPS games.

News Comments > New NVIDIA Reference Drivers
35. Re: New NVIDIA Reference Drivers Dec 4, 2012, 16:54 theyarecomingforyou

Installed them straight over the last beta driver and - as always - it worked without issue. I'm on Windows 8 64bit here. The last issue I had with graphics drivers was installing a beta Windows 7 driver onto the Windows 8 Consumer Preview, so that wasn't surprising in the least!  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Slingshot
10. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Slingshot Dec 4, 2012, 13:38 theyarecomingforyou

It's showing now. At 5.49 ($9) I think I'll pass, as I've got enough games to keep me occupied until it goes on sale.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Slingshot
2. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Slingshot Dec 4, 2012, 10:50 theyarecomingforyou

Checks Steam. Sees DLC isn't there. Goes back to Far Cry 3.  

News Comments > Star Citizen FAQ; System Requirements
2. Re: Star Citizen FAQ; System Requirements Dec 4, 2012, 10:48 theyarecomingforyou

Fantaz wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 10:39:
GTX 460 or greater with 4GB as the minimum? Those are some pretty steep sys requirements...
Not for a game that's two years away.

News Comments > Steam Big Picture Mode Launches
46. Re: Steam Big Picture Mode Launches Dec 4, 2012, 10:08 theyarecomingforyou

PHJF wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 10:00:
I would just love to fucking see a driver-level or OS-level option to toggle between multi monitors on an app specific basis. I shouldn't have to change my TV to my primary screen to get a game to grab it.

Very rarely a game comes along with a .ini value that does just this.
Yeah. I'm surprised that nVidia or AMD haven't implemented this at a driver level. Really it should be Microsoft that does it but it's not a forward thinking company any more and PC gaming is at the bottom of its priority list.

45. Re: Steam Big Picture Mode Launches Dec 4, 2012, 10:06 theyarecomingforyou

Verno wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 09:44:
You can't handwave away the complexity with some vagueness about "a company like Valve" stuff, they have to deal with the operating systems limitations. Applications can hook and send applications to specific monitors but not like "only send to my HDTV", they use the numeric identifiers the OS gives them and those change. You can't fudge it in software.
I deliberately avoided getting into technicalities but as I said, Valve could simply switch the primary display when launching Big Picture mode and restore it on exit. In fact that functionality should be built into Steam regardless of Big Picture mode. I'm sure there's probably a smarter way to do it but I don't know enough technical details to suggest what that may be. It's the same with sound - there should be an option in Steam that allows you to automatically change your sound device, so that you could default to HDMI audio when gaming and it reverts back to your soundcard after that.

My point is that there's plenty that can be done to improve the user experience but Valve really isn't doing a good job with Steam at the moment. The Community features have improved but they're still slow and unreliable; the game library is poor at handling a large amount of games, especially when each game can only be in one group; the built-in browser is considerably slower than Chrome, despite using WebKit; the install process still involves excessive numbers of prompts and lags like hell when installing multiple games; the DRM often adds an inconvenient delay when launching games (it should store temporary authentication tokens from Valve to allow it to perform as fast as offline mode).

Steam is great but it's hugely underdeveloped considering how much money it is making and how many people use it. It's about time they updated the visual style, with a native-UI option and a lighter colour option (even if not default).

36. Re: Steam Big Picture Mode Launches Dec 4, 2012, 09:05 theyarecomingforyou

dj LiTh wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 08:40:
May i suggest a macro program with a nice simple kb shortcut. Thats pretty much my friends setup, and he was going crazy having to switch back and forth his primary monitor all the time for certain things. Now he just uses a macro program and it switches in about 2s.
How would one go about doing that? I have a soundswitcher, so I can change between my sound unit and HDMI audio with a click of a button or a keyboard combo; how would I add changing the default monitor to that? I seem to recall I looked into a shortcut a while back and had some trouble with it. Also, that doesn't help when I sometimes choose to play on monitor and sometimes on HDTV, as it means I have to manually change the resolution.

Verno wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 08:42:
That's not really an issue in general, just a niche issue pertaining to you as that's not what the feature is aimed at. You could easily script your problem away by using displayswitch.exe. What you're asking for to be automated is almost impossible due to how games having direct access to display controls and how Windows identifies displays, the EDID problems alone with receivers would likely be insurmountable.
My setup is no more niche than people running a HDTV as their primary display for gaming systems. Both are outisde of the norm, yet Valve obviously decided Big Picture was worth implementing. Further, games like RAGE include in-game options to which display to use so I'm sure a company like Valve could achieve something similar. They could use a behinds the scenes workaround, like temporarily changing the default monitor and restoring it on exit. It's perfectly possible to implement - it would require a bit more work but it would be a lot more compelling functionality wise.

I like the concept but it's just no use to me as it is. There should be an option to choose which display to launch onto and an ability to make games run on that display. That would I could game on my monitor normally, then click Big Picture to launch games on my HDTV for casual gaming. Really the issue lies with AMD and nVidia or Microsoft but it would still be nice to see Valve pioneer usability.

News Comments > Crysis 3 Specs
57. Re: Crysis 3 Specs Dec 4, 2012, 08:53 theyarecomingforyou

Dades wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 07:13:
I'll take some exaggerated physics over Far Cry 3 having nothing but ragdolling.
Far Cry 3 has destructible foliage, the best vehicle physics, the best fire physics and it has explosion physics (vehicles, bodies, objects, etc). It doesn't have collapsible buildings which is a shame (though I'd rather see Frostbite style destruction than CryEngine) but considering how much the game does right that's not a huge concern for me - Skyrim didn't have them either and it was still a classic game.

The lack of one feature doesn't make the engine / game inferior to a five year old game that includes it, otherwise Crysis was inferior to Half-Life 2 because the lip-sync wasn't as good. You've got to look at the games as a whole and visually, technically and in terms of gameplay FC3 offers a lot better experience than Crysis.

30. Re: Steam Big Picture Mode Launches Dec 4, 2012, 05:37 theyarecomingforyou

The biggest issue with Big Picture mode is that it does nothing to help with multi-monitor setups. I have a 42" HDTV hooked up as a secondary monitor but it's too much effort changing the default monitor, then changing the in-game resolution and changing over my default sound system to HDMI. What's needed is for Big Picture mode to run on whichever screen it is launched from and make all games run on that screen - as it is even if you launch Big Picture mode from a secondary display it will launch on the primary display.

Big Picture mode is a nice idea but it's useless for me, and that's despite having a wireless X360 controller and a HDTV connected to my computer. It really is niche functionality, which is obviously just to test the interface for their upcoming hardware / console.

54. Re: Crysis 3 Specs Dec 4, 2012, 04:43 theyarecomingforyou

4D-Boxing wrote on Dec 3, 2012, 20:56:
I wonder if its a case of everything looks better up close meaning that the draw distance is heavily reduced?
The draw distance is focused on what's nearby but that's true of every open world game. Could it be improved? Absolutely, but it's already one of the most demanding games out there.

4D-Boxing wrote on Dec 3, 2012, 20:56:
To be 100% honest your screen shots do not convince me either. Could just be the resolution since I run 2560x1600 or just the pic format.
All my screenshots are 2560x1600, so I assume what you mean is you're not running that resolution? Even so, all modern browsers automatically resize large images to fit on screen.

Dades wrote on Dec 3, 2012, 21:07:
What Crysis has over Far Cry 3 is proper physics and little touches like foliage destruction. Really disappointed in Far Cry 3 there.
I don't really agree. I thought the physics in Crysis were hugely exaggerated, with buildings designed to collapse at the drop of a hat - everywhere you walked there was another prefab hut waiting to fall apart. The foliage destruction was good though, as it allowed for those Rambo-like momenets. The destruction physics in Bad Company 2 - though still overly exaggerated - is still amongst the best we've seen to date, both in implementation and enjoyability.

Performance wise FC3 pushes even top-end systems - at least with current drivers and pre-patch - so I'm not really sure what they could had added. In terms of VRAM it maxes out 2GB cards at 2560x1600, so anything more would have prevented 95% of gamers from enjoying it.

PS - It hasn't been mentioned yet but the game world in Far Cry 3 is dramatically larger than Crysis and without load screens, aside from quick-travel. Technologically Crysis and Crysis 2 don't compete.

45. Re: Crysis 3 Specs Dec 3, 2012, 19:02 theyarecomingforyou

yuastnav wrote on Dec 3, 2012, 18:40:
I had to quite Far Cry 2 after about 2 hours because of a similar reason. Something was really off.
Personally I think that I didn't like the handling of the vehicles (which is excusable) and I didn't like the shooting, i.e. it didn't feel very good (which, in a FPS, is not excusable).
The default FOV is pretty narrow, though the game added a widescreen option in one of the patches to increase it - that irritates some people. As for the shooting, I thought that was actually one of the strengths of Far Cry 2 - imo, it nailed the core mechanics but fell apart with the repetitive AI gimmicks (running you over, vehicle chases) and narrative / open-world gameplay. The only issue at the beginning is that weapons reliability is terrible and you need diamonds for the accuracy upgrades - that'll be the issue you're describing if you were only a couple of hours in. And the vehicles were the best implementation of vehicles in a FPS at that point, though the vehicles were dramatically over used (it got pretty tedious) - something that has been addressed in Far Cry 3 (and the handling is much improved).

44. Re: Crysis 3 Specs Dec 3, 2012, 18:52 theyarecomingforyou

jacobvandy wrote on Dec 3, 2012, 17:42:
Far Cry 3 vs. Crysis 1 is pretty close
lol? Anxious

But seriously, you can't have played Far Cry 3 if you think Crysis is "pretty close" visually. I could keep posting screenshots but I doubt it would change your mind.

39. Re: Crysis 3 Specs Dec 3, 2012, 16:52 theyarecomingforyou

Fion wrote on Dec 3, 2012, 16:29:
Actually it's the opposite. That's the point of tessellation, to add depth to an asset without increasing it's poly count.
It increases the graphical fidelity while minimising the performance hit - it does exactly what it's meant to.

I do agree that video looks good, but with videos you can never really know if that is the quality we'll get in the actual game. What machine was it recorded on? Is it even real time?
There's nothing in that video that makes me think it isn't real-time.

The simple fact is that this game, like Crysis 2, was made primarily for consoles and they simply are incapable of running a game with the fidelity of Crysis.
And most PCs couldn't / still can't run Crysis well either. As for being designed for consoles, so was Far Cry 3 and it blows Crysis out of the water. It all depends on how much effort is put into it and given that it's DX11 it's fair to say it's more than your average PC release.

The reality is that developing for consoles actually HELPED Crytek, as CryEngine was a piece of shit in performance terms and they were forced to optimise it. Games like Team Fortress 2 and Dishonored demonstrate that art direction is more important than engine specs, as you can achieve a lot with very modest specs. You keep talking in technical terms but Crysis 3 looks better visually, regardless. Have you seen the dam video? It looks like it's played with a controller but it's definitely running on PC. Nothing in the original Crysis looks better than that - it's not even close.

Btw, I've actually played the Crysis 3 alpha.

37. Re: Crysis 3 Specs Dec 3, 2012, 16:03 theyarecomingforyou

Creston wrote on Dec 3, 2012, 15:33:
Holy Bloom Balls, Batman! Damn, they put a shitload of bloom in FC2. I must have turned that off, because I don't remember all my shots being that insanely saturated.
That's maxed out in DX10 mode. The sun isn't normally that extreme - it's all related to the day-night cycle. It also depends on the map location, as the desert areas at the north (if I remember correctly) were considerably brighter than the rest of the map.

PS - Far Cry 3 has boobies! (it was blurry in-game; I need to take a better shot)

35. Re: Crysis 3 Specs Dec 3, 2012, 15:55 theyarecomingforyou

John wrote on Dec 3, 2012, 15:48:
Wait, are those your screenshots? If so, how are you playing FC3 before it has been released?
Yeah, they're all my screenshots - the rest are here. The game was released in the EU / Asia four days ago now.

34. Re: Crysis 3 Specs Dec 3, 2012, 15:54 theyarecomingforyou

Fion wrote on Dec 3, 2012, 15:18:
We all know Crytech that Crysis 3, just like Crysis 2, will still look worse than Crysis 1. Lower texture resolution, lower polygon count per asset, lower overall poly cap per scene.
Given that Crysis 2 includes DX11 tessellation, it obviously has a higher polygon count. Meanwhile, Crysis 3 was built around tessellation from the start so it will be better implemented. Take a look at this gameplay video, because if you think that looks worse than the original Crysis you're delusional.

Fion wrote on Dec 3, 2012, 15:18:
The only reason Crysis 2 and 3 appear better in some ways is the improved lighting engine. Frankly in Crysis 1 they skimped on lighting largely so the game would run on systems of the time heh.
It was simply a poorly written engine, hence why it hasn't scaled well with newer hardware. And they pushed the lighting with Crysis anyway, so let's stop with the revisionist history - it was the best available at the time. Don't forget that the competition of the time was games like Unreal Tournament 3 (with the 'cutting edge' Unreal Engine 3), so I don't know where you get the idea that Crytek held back.

Far Cry 3 has demonstrated that current multi-platform engines blow Crysis out of the water, so it's likely that Crytek will have made serious advances too - in fact the videos seem to support that. Crysis hasn't been the definitive visual leader for years and it certainly isn't now, so please stop pretending that modern games have to compete with it.

Crysis was a game that ran poorly on most systems and still does, over 5 years later. It had very good visuals but it was a terrible engine.

27. Re: Crysis 3 Specs Dec 3, 2012, 14:41 theyarecomingforyou

xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 3, 2012, 14:31:
Think even a Cray research computer can run it?
Actually, I imagine it will be better optimised than Crysis 2 and the visuals look much better already. They've built it around DX11, so it's not the post-launch patch job of Crysis 2 where there were known issues with the implementation of tessellation (it was hugely inefficient). The specs really aren't that different from what's required for Crysis 2.

Oh, and I love the way that Vista needs more RAM than Windows 7 or 8.

5910 Comments. 296 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo