Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonas Taylor

Real Name Jonas Taylor   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname theyarecomingforyou
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 8, 2005, 11:25
Total Comments 6091 (Guru)
User ID 22891

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Metro: Last Light HUD "Fix" Inbound
67. Re: Metro: Last Light HUD May 18, 2013, 17:59 theyarecomingforyou

I'm not sensitive to FOV in games, so I don't have a problem with it. That said, I do think that all developers should implement it as standard - that's especially true for a game like this, where there has obviously been a lot of effort put into the PC version.

I'm loving the game so far. It's better than the original in pretty much every way - performance, narrative, gameplay, level design, etc. Very glad I bought it.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Oculus Rift Support
22. Re: Half-Life 2 Oculus Rift Support May 12, 2013, 07:40 theyarecomingforyou

The solution I see is for controls is to make mouse movement relative to the view (i.e. it moves where you aim, not where you face) and make the keyboard turn your view (left/right turn you rather than strafing; they could be modified to strafe with Shift). I'd be surprised if it's competitive for multiplayer, so it would really be best suited to singleplayer games.

As for the resolution, 1080p is a decent starting place. No doubt it will improve through subsequent revisions but if it goes too much higher then a lot of systems will struggle to run it and I imagine the OR will suffer heavily if the framerate is not up to snuff. It would be nice if they focused on upping the refresh rate, as 120Hz would be ideal and they could use OLED rather than TN to get around the viewing angle and colour reproduction issues (the former being less of an issue due to the fixed nature of the headset).

News Comments > Diablo III Auction House Foul-up
4. Re: Diablo III Auction House Foul-up May 8, 2013, 09:32 theyarecomingforyou

nin wrote on May 8, 2013, 09:30:
Did you try Torchlight 2? I finally started playing it in the last month, and it's pretty much exactly what I hoped D3 would have been...
I loved both games for different reasons. Personally I found D3 to be the more compelling game and have the better community but I really enjoyed T2.

News Comments > EA Dropping Licensed Firearms
7. Re: EA Dropping Licensed Firearms May 7, 2013, 20:55 theyarecomingforyou

It was disgusting that EA was funding the gun industry anyway.  

News Comments > EA's Exclusive Star Wars Game Rights
11. Re: EA's Exclusive Star Wars Game Rights May 6, 2013, 17:12 theyarecomingforyou

As long as EA continues its boycott of Steam I won't be buying any of these games. Not that it matters, as they'll all be micro-transaction based ultra-casual games targeted at children.  

News Comments > XCOM Now The Bureau: XCOM Declassified, a TPS Due in August
34. Re: XCOM Now The Bureau: XCOM Declassified, a TPS Due in August Apr 26, 2013, 20:45 theyarecomingforyou

What I don't understand is why people were MORE interested in this as a first-person shooter. We already have plenty enough quality FPS games and it's pretty hard for games to distinguish themselves nowadays. Personally I'm more interested in it as a third-person shooter. If they can get a Mafia II style vibe with an alien twist then that sounds good to me.

That said, I really want to see some gameplay walkthroughs before I even consider this. I loved XCOM:EU but despite the decent trailer I haven't seen anything to warrant any confidence in it. Bioshock 2 was a pretty weak game and this title has already been significantly delayed. It would be nice if this were a decent game.

News Comments > XCOM Shooter "Fresh Look" Reveal in "Days"
33. Re: XCOM Shooter Apr 24, 2013, 15:09 theyarecomingforyou

Beamer wrote on Apr 24, 2013, 14:20:
Sometimes it won't figure out which level I want my guy on and, if I'm going quickly, he'll run up stairs or down a wall and end up in the worst place.
Yeah. One of the spaceship levels was particularly bad for that, as it was really difficult to select the right tile (it kept getting confused by the different levels).

Beamer wrote on Apr 24, 2013, 14:20:
Towards the end I just get bored. I know there's 1 more cluster of enemies around. Keeping your guys in formation on the off chance they're right ahead gets dull. Sometimes you just want to dash to them. It, no lie, can save 10+ minutes
Yeah, I can understand that. Most of the time moving large distances is fine, yet it's obviously annoying if the one time it's not is right at the end of the level.

Beamer wrote on Apr 24, 2013, 14:23:
I'm surprised people like the new base mode, honestly.

Building is more annoyance than fun
Menu systems are long and annoying
For some reason you have all the rooms linked up top, except the one you use most
Your stupid scientist and engineer talk to you nonstop. Shut up! Jesus, it's worst in the field when they keep taking control of your camera and telling you crap you learned the first time through
It had its annoyances but overall I thought the system was great, as it gave meaning to the individual missions. For me it was one of the main selling points.

News Comments > XCOM Shooter "Fresh Look" Reveal in "Days"
27. Re: XCOM Shooter Apr 24, 2013, 14:13 theyarecomingforyou

XCOM:EU was great. The enemy spawning was certainly an annoyance but not a major issue in the grand scheme of things. Personally I think the decision to allow saving in-mission was a mistake, as it makes it too easy to save-scum - it devalued the strategy map and the consequences for failure.

As for this game, at least they seem to have recognised the game was on the wrong track and hopefully the new direction will be an improvement. We'll see.

News Comments > Metro: Last Light PC Specifications
13. Re: Metro: Last Light PC Specifications Apr 19, 2013, 07:01 theyarecomingforyou

Hmmmm... I have an overclocked GTX680 SLI setup but I have a feeling performance won't be great at my native 2560x1600.  

News Comments > Skyrim Development Ends; Bethesda on to "Next Adventure"
3. Re: Skyrim Development Ends; Bethesda on to Apr 15, 2013, 11:42 theyarecomingforyou

You certainly can't fault Bethesda for the support given to Skyrim. While it may have been very weak for an RPG it was an exceptional game and I look forward to what's coming next.  

News Comments > AMD Says No More DirectX?
23. Re: AMD Says No More DirectX? Apr 13, 2013, 11:07 theyarecomingforyou

Spektr wrote on Apr 13, 2013, 07:33:
Well no point in making a directx12 if directx11 isnt utilized yet. Consoles will most certainly use 11 so that means it's going to be around for 10 more years at least. MS might want to focus on developing products they can actually sell.
The problem is we'll end up stuck with outdated tech, just like we did with DX9. It was around for four years before DX10 came along and because Microsoft tied it to Vista it was still preferable for developers to target DX9. DX11 was a much more worthwhile improvement - tessellation, DirectCompute and 3D-support. More developers are targeting it now that it's been on the market for three years, yet there's no sign of a successor.

Without DirectX to guide graphics vendors we risk the vendor-exclusive fragmentation of old. It also makes it more difficult for nVidia and AMD to shift new cards, as there's only so many times you can print "faster" on the box without big features to sell it. The sooner DX12 is developed and released the sooner games can start to take advantage of it. Sure not all developers support DX11 as it is but there's a lot more pressure on them to.

Unfortunately Microsoft's obsession with consoles is yet again holding back PC gaming.

News Comments > Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon Preorders; Trailer
28. Re: Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon Preorders; Trailer Apr 11, 2013, 14:03 theyarecomingforyou

Awesome. Definite purchase.  

News Comments > DOOM 4 Development Rebooted in 2011
12. Re: DOOM 4 Development Rebooted in 2011 Apr 3, 2013, 22:11 theyarecomingforyou

Cram wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 22:02:
For Zenimax to be so delusional to think that Doom 4 could reach Skyrim level, that is a tough pill to swallow.
Yeah, that's bizarre. Few games can get anywhere near that, let alone from a developer like id Software.

News Comments > DOOM 4 Development Rebooted in 2011
9. Re: DOOM 4 Development Rebooted in 2011 Apr 3, 2013, 22:00 theyarecomingforyou

Given the appalling screenshots that came out a while back I'm not surprised. And given the trainwreck that was RAGE it's to be expected that there is some tension between id Software and Zenimax.

I'm surprised Zenimax is even continuing with the project.

News Comments > LucasArts Closed
26. Re: LucasArts Closed Apr 3, 2013, 15:45 theyarecomingforyou

I'm surprised that LucasArts lasted as long as it did. It hadn't put out decent games in years, despite sitting on some of the best intellectual properties out there. I hope that this leads to other developers being given the opportunity to work on games.

It's a shame that Star Wars 1313 was cancelled as that looked quite promising but given the calibre of games put out recently it was probably for the best.

News Comments > Blizzard Acknowledges Diablo III Item Duping
23. Re: Blizzard Acknowledges Diablo III Item Duping Mar 27, 2013, 04:47 theyarecomingforyou

The problem with this change is that people genuinely affected by account hacks (and my brother was one of them) will now be unable to trade the items stolen from them. This change punishes legitimate users.  

News Comments > Unreal Engine 4 Teaser
24. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Teaser Mar 25, 2013, 16:58 theyarecomingforyou

Worst. Teaser. Ever.

But seriously, what little footage there was was pretty unimpressive. We've seen smoke and dynamic lighting before; the physics looked off; the level of detail wasn't any better than current gen titles. I know the next-gen consoles aren't particularly beefy spec wise but, even so, I was expecting more.

Hopefully the full video will be more compelling.

News Comments > NVIDIA Face Rendering Demoed
17. Re: NVIDIA Face Rendering Demoed Mar 21, 2013, 12:28 theyarecomingforyou

PHJF wrote on Mar 21, 2013, 10:48:
Ummm the shit they used in LA Noire was fucking tits... why the fuck isn't EVERY GAME using it by now?
Because it looked shit, was hugely exaggerated and limited the game to running at 30fps. It was like they recorded an actor and then stretched the video over a 3D-model - it plummeted right into uncanny valley. Both Far Cry 3 and Crysis 3 had better facial animations overall; not as nuanced maybe but they looked more "real".

Don't get me wrong, I respect what LA Noire accomplished but the technology just wasn't right, even though they spent an insane amount of time developing it.

News Comments > NVIDIA Face Rendering Demoed
9. Re: NVIDIA Face Rendering Demoed Mar 21, 2013, 10:21 theyarecomingforyou

SXO wrote on Mar 21, 2013, 09:31:
Unfortunately, due to a lack of competition, the extreme performance these chips produced, and nVidia's overt greed, they decided to use the GK104 as the high-end card, and saved the GK110 to the "refresh" cycle.
It was nothing to do with that. The yields were simply appalling, meaning that nVidia had to substantially scale them back - it's the reason why the Titan is only being made available in very limited quantities. If nVidia could produce a card that would blow away the competition and further increase their market share then it would.

As for the technology here, it's quite impressive but it all comes down to what developers do with it. It's useless without substantial improvements to AI, which haven't been forthcoming. We are years away from a game being able to include a single enemy that provides a challenge without simply giving them huge amounts of health or making them hard to hit - that's why games have cannon fodder enemies, cutscenes and boss fights. We are years from enemies that demonstrate true contextual emotions, like fear, anger and empathy. Developers are getting better at concealing the limitations but AI has improved at a fraction of the pace that graphics and physics have.

News Comments > No Plans for Single-Player Tomb Raider Expansions
32. Re: No Plans for Single-Player Tomb Raider Expansions Mar 20, 2013, 16:02 theyarecomingforyou

I'm disappointed that there won't be any singleplayer DLC or expansions, especially to focus on multiplayer DLC. I'm really not a fan of competitive multiplayer games any more, as I just don't have the motivation to sink hundreds of hours to learn all the exploits and memorise the levels - I'm fine with team based multiplayer, but my favourite is co-op.

As for the game, aside from the technical issues I really enjoyed it. The game took me 11hrs to complete (my brother told me it took him 7hrs) and 18hrs to 100%. While I'm kinda glad that I took the time to find all the items, as I'm a huge Tomb Raider fan, I found it pretty tedious - trying to find tiny items that are difficult to see, even with the Survival Instinct. It really is for the OCD types, not for those who actually enjoy gaming.

6091 Comments. 305 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo