Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonas Taylor

Real Name Jonas Taylor   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname theyarecomingforyou
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 8, 2005, 11:25
Total Comments 6020 (Guru)
User ID 22891

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Crysis 3; Review Roundup
26. Re: Ships Ahoy - Crysis 3; Review Roundup Feb 20, 2013, 10:49 theyarecomingforyou

Verno wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 09:48:
They aren't a terribly interesting enemy to fight, the human AI is way better for the most part. The storyline surrounding them is college level film stuff. The games tend to devolve around the alien segments IMHO. Also they are in every game and Crytek feels the need to keep the silly Prophet storyline going when they could be doing new things.
This.

The most complained about element of Far Cry was the mutants at the end and yet Crytek did the same thing with Crysis, just replacing them with aliens. Not only that but it was all incredibly clichéd - from the nanosuit soldiers, to the generic Korean enemies, to the aliens. Too much emphasis was placed on the technology and barely any effort was put into the experience.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Crysis 3; Review Roundup
20. Re: Ships Ahoy - Crysis 3; Review Roundup Feb 20, 2013, 09:02 theyarecomingforyou

SirKnight wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 23:28:
Crysis 2 for me was just a graphical showcase. The gameplay was pure crap. Crysis 1 (before the aliens) was quite good.
You got that backwards. Crysis was nothing more than a technical demo. Crysis 2 added a Holywood-style narrative and refined the gameplay, especially the nanosuit; while it certainly wasn't amazing it had very good atmosphere - the music was particularly noteworthy (pun intended). I really didn't like Crysis, especially not after Far Cry, but Crysis 2 was decent in an over-the-top action movie sort of way - it wasn't anything special but it was a decent game.

The reviews seem to suggest the same is true of Crysis 3, which is fine by me. Sure it's disappointing that they haven't evolved the series like Ubisoft has with Far Cry 2 and 3 but what it does it does well (at least based on my experience with the multiplayer beta). It's a shame I won't be getting it, as it appears it won't be released on Steam.

News Comments > Destiny PC Clue
17. Re: Destiny PC Clue Feb 19, 2013, 16:28 theyarecomingforyou

gravity wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 16:07:
Wii-U would support it (doubtful - they're talking Next-Gen stuff)
If the X360 and PS3 are supported then there's no reason not to do a Wii U port, especially given how similar the architecture is to the X360. That said, the other entries look suspicious and given that Wii U and PC versions weren't announced it's either a very moronic omission or it speaks to how important they consider those platforms.

News Comments > Far Cry 3 New Feature Plans
12. Re: Far Cry 3 New Feature Plans Feb 19, 2013, 07:34 theyarecomingforyou

Acleacius wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 04:39:
One thing I don't understand and it annoys the hell out of me. How can a game developer get universally maligned over a design decision in their last game and instead of learning from it, DO IT AGAIN? The most common criticism I've read about FC2 was the constant spawning/respawning, stealing the sense of accomplishment and believability.
What the hell are you talking about? They completely redesigned the system and implemented properly. It's similar to what was attempted with STALKER: Clear Sky, only done right. It was actually one of the most compelling features of the game.

The whole point of the bases was that they were challenging and if you don't take them out quickly or at least disable the alarms then they become incredibly difficult to take down - that's by design. It's not their fault if you're shit at the game.

News Comments > New WHQL-certified GeForce Drivers
10. Re: New WHQL-certified GeForce Drivers Feb 18, 2013, 22:15 theyarecomingforyou

For what it's worth I update to every beta release and even though I have an SLI setup it's always rock-solid. There's the occasional issue with missing SLI profiles but I don't recall having an issue with the drivers themselves.  

News Comments > Far Cry 3 New Feature Plans
4. Re: Far Cry 3 New Feature Plans Feb 18, 2013, 22:10 theyarecomingforyou

It's good to see that FC3 sold better than expected, as it certainly deserved it. Excellent game. I hope it gets a proper expansion or substantial DLC while we await the inevitable sequel. As for the patches, it's nice that new features are still being added.  

News Comments > Destiny Announced for Consoles
26. Re: Destiny Announced for Consoles Feb 17, 2013, 21:31 theyarecomingforyou

Beamer wrote on Feb 17, 2013, 21:04:
But to say that they are idiots for making another Haloesque game is asinine. This is their wheelhouse. This is what they do best. This is what they love doing. This makes them millions upon millions of dollars (no speculation needed.)
No, their idiots for making it for current-gen consoles and not releasing it on PC. And there's nothing wrong with criticising a company for whoring itself out.

I don't blame Bungie for sticking to a similar style of game but I resent them for making the same shitty mistakes.

News Comments > Crysis 3 Preorders Soar
13. Re: Crysis 3 Preorders Soar Feb 16, 2013, 09:36 theyarecomingforyou

Optional Nickname! wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 23:46:
I leave the inferences and implications to your capabilities, Gentle Reader.
EA's boycott of Steam is "actively working against my interests"; releasing it on Steam is not. And if Crysis 3 does get released on Steam then me buying it would send a message to EA that they can't ignore the platform. My point was perfectly clear.

News Comments > Crysis 3 Preorders Soar
6. Re: Crysis 3 Preorders Soar Feb 15, 2013, 23:24 theyarecomingforyou

If it's released on Steam then I'll definitely grab it, as the multiplayer beta was really pretty decent and I enjoyed Crysis 2. I'm fine with Origin but I like to buy all my games on Steam for the community features (taking and sharing screenshots, tracking your in-game time, etc).

If not then I'll pass on it. I passed on BF3, ME3 and DS3 even though I was interested in them and I'll pass on SimCity as well. There's no point supporting a company that's actively working against my interests.

News Comments > BioShock Infinite Trailer
7. Re: BioShock Infinite Trailer Feb 15, 2013, 12:02 theyarecomingforyou

My concern is that the game is going to be too linear and restrictive, especially after playing games like Dishonored, Far Cry 3 and Deus Ex: Human Revolution. It certainly doesn't look as bad as ACM - which looked terrible in the preview videos - but I'll wait for reviews, more gameplay videos and user opinions before decided whether it's worth buying.

At least the PC version seems to be being taken seriously, as it includes high resolution textures, a FOV slider, anti-aliasing, ambient occlusion, etc.

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines Patched
105. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Patched Feb 15, 2013, 10:16 theyarecomingforyou

Beamer wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 10:02:
No, They touted DX11 for a while
I thought they stopped in 2011. Here they are in 2012 saying that no DX11 effects were implemented but were planned.
I remember seeing that article actually, but it certainly wasn't a confirmation of DX11 features - in fact it struck me as a confirmation that it WOULDN'T have DX11 effects. When combined with the lack of any follow up I honestly don't see how anybody could have been under the impression it would actually have DX11 features.

102. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Patched Feb 14, 2013, 21:10 theyarecomingforyou

Kosumo wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 18:56:
What if that Watchdogs trailer/game play video you got your panties all hot over, turns out not to be game play that is in the game?
Surprisingly enough I'm not willing to preorder that either, as I haven't seen enough about it. It certainly looks promising but I'll wait to see more about it. The thing is, Ubisoft usually allows reviews to be released in advance of the game - with Far Cry 3 there were reviews published over a week before release.

I only preorder games that I know I'm likely to enjoy, where there is a benefit to doing so (discount or preorder bonuses), where I've played the demo and/or where I don't want the experience to be spoiled by waiting. For instance, I preordered Alan Wake, Bioshock, Dragon Age: Origins, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Portal 2, STALKER: Clear Sky, Far Cry 3, Skyrim, Borderlands 2, W40K: Dawn Of War 2, The Witcher 2, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, DiRT: Showdown and Dishonored and was very happy that I did for every one (even Clear Sky, which had launch issues). The biggest disappointment I had from a preorder was BRINK and that was mainly because of performance rather than gameplay - I also had RAGE from release but that was a birthday present. But those experiences made me a lot more cautious, which is a good thing. The point is, if you do your research before games are released it's quite easy to see whether they're worth preordering or waiting for sale.

I pity those who preordered ACM and were disappointed by it (not everybody was) but hopefully they'll learn not to do the same in future.

98. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Patched Feb 14, 2013, 18:21 theyarecomingforyou

Beamer wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 15:00:
Had they come out and admitted the DX11 version was cut people would have been somewhat braced for this, though no one would have expected a game that looks worse than Halo 3 and looks like a garbage budget game.
I've been following the game casually over the years and never saw any mention of DX11. In fact I was under the distinct impression all along that it WOULDN'T have DX11 features, which is why I considered it a backwards step from AVP 2010.

I'm always wary of games when developers are unwilling to show off proper gameplay footage. Even when gameplay footage is shown - like with Bioshock Infinite - I'm still wary when it's shown in a very restricted way. ACM set off so many warning bells and it's a shame that so many people preordered it, especially when the early footage implied that the game was actually going to be half-decent.

It really doesn't bode well for the DLC Season Pass they've been promoting. I imagine that's going to be scaled back dramatically, if they don't simply refund everybody's money. It wouldn't surprise me - as rumoured - if the Wii U version is cancelled, because it has a small user base and few of those are going to take a risk on ACM. I wish Sega wouldn't fuck around with the franchise so much.

News Comments > Steam for Linux Leaves Beta
5. Re: Steam for Linux Leaves Beta Feb 14, 2013, 15:22 theyarecomingforyou

Draugr wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 15:17:
If it has a steamplay tag then it works across any supported OS.
Exactly. Only shitty publishers like Activision charge separately - as far as I'm aware Call Of Duty is the only franchise that has games on Steam that ONLY run on Mac (as in there is no Windows support).

The vast majority of developers / publishers use SteamPlay, which means that games are playable on every platform from a single purchase.

94. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Patched Feb 14, 2013, 14:54 theyarecomingforyou

Beamer wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 13:35:
Here's Far Cry 3 looking better at E3 than release.

Nowhere near as dramatic, but for those of you that don't believe that games often look better when they're around beta than after they've been polished...
Better graphics, better lighting, different animations, etc.

Here's the same thing with Oblivion.
FC3 and Oblivion were both cutting edges games that pushed all platforms, including the PC, to their max. Some changes made were improvements, others subjective and some noticeably worse but overall the E3 demos gave an accurate representation of the final product and the final games were still exceptionally strong. With ACM the graphics were bad to start with and the cuts were all made for performance reasons, which only goes to show how poorly optimised the engine is. There were also substantial setting changes for no good reason. ACM is a great example of incompetence and deception.

Oh, and this sums up Randy Pitchford - lying scumbag. It's probably been posted before but deserves reposting.

News Comments > System Shock 2 on GOG.com
18. Re: System Shock 2 on GOG.com Feb 14, 2013, 14:09 theyarecomingforyou

Dev wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 12:45:
More than likely thats just what win 7 needs to be comfortable. I don't think they tweaked the graphics that much.
Exactly. It's basically the minimum specs for Windows 7 (1GHz CPU, 2GB RAM, DX9 GPU) but with a slightly faster processor. Common sense dictates that the operating system needs to run well if you want to run anything on top of it.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Aliens: Colonial Marines
168. Re: Ships Ahoy - Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 14, 2013, 10:17 theyarecomingforyou

If anyone hasn't seen this comparison video then you really need to. The original preview footage is why I was initially looking forward to the game; the actual gameplay footage is a disgrace. Bait and switch.  

159. Re: Ships Ahoy - Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 13, 2013, 14:15 theyarecomingforyou

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 13:40:
If I like a game, I don't need others approval or confirmation that it is a good game. I really liked Supreme Commander 2 and Homefront for example that others hated here. Never stopped me from having fun with it regardless of the general feedback from the community.
I also got Starcraft and World of Warcraft and hated both, but millions of others love those games.
To me it is not a victory or loss as in a battle, it is my opinion vs others. Do you agree with me or not on a game doesn't change my enjoyment of the game nor my opinion on it. But that's just me.
Exactly. I thought Far Cry 2 was an excellent game and was better than Crysis graphically but I know that's not a popular opinion around here. Personally I think it's good that Darks wants to correct people and defend his position because that's he believes but I personally disagree. I don't need to play the game to know that it's bad because - I have review sites that I trust, gameplay videos, review aggregate sites and user opinions to rely on. Are they always right? Of course not but I know that I'm not willing to pick this game up for any more than £10 / $15 and almost certainly not even at that price.

148. Re: Ships Ahoy - Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 13, 2013, 10:56 theyarecomingforyou

All they had to do was remake AVP99 with modern graphics and they'd have had a winner. That was a game that had tension, that had atmosphere, that had great gameplay, that was faithful to the franchises, that had great multiplayer.

I knew the lack of details regarding the PC version were a warning sign, just like all the terrible preview videos. The earlier E3 walkthrough looked quite promising, yet now there are accusations of a bait-and-switch. Gearbox has absolutely no consistency when it comes to releases. I can understand taking on Duke Nukem Forever as even though most people knew it was bad there were still a lot interested in checking it out just for curiosity's sake but the Alien franchise is highly regarded and they seriously overhyped the game.

It doesn't matter how many patches they release now the game will always be considered a disaster.

126. Re: Ships Ahoy - Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 12, 2013, 23:21 theyarecomingforyou

nin wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 21:14:
RPS weighs in, and it's not good...
That review is hilarious! Although it's completely different to any other review I've read it does a very good job of conveying why the game is bad and why it's not worth buying, even if it's on sale.

6020 Comments. 301 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo