Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonas Taylor

Real Name Jonas Taylor   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname theyarecomingforyou
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 8, 2005, 11:25
Total Comments 6020 (Guru)
User ID 22891

User comment history
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Wars: 1313 on Hold?
2. Re: Star Wars: 1313 on Hold? Feb 28, 2013, 20:53 theyarecomingforyou

That would seem a strange move considering the revival of the brand. From what I saw it looked quite promising but if there's a way to fuck it up then LucasArts is the company to find it.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ubisoft Courting PC Gamers
54. Re: Ubisoft Courting PC Gamers Feb 28, 2013, 13:06 theyarecomingforyou

Jerykk wrote on Feb 24, 2013, 05:17:
Of which anti-consumer practices do you speak? Not selling their newer games on Steam and requiring Origin is pretty lame but at least Origin is better than Uplay. Uplay is utterly worthless.

EA's anti-consumer practices:

1) Boycotting Steam
2) Pay-2-Win
3) Obscene pricing (40-45 for most new games, when on Steam they're typically under 30)
4) Draconian ToS conditions
5) Shutting down servers for games less than a year old

Now I don't expect every publisher to live up to my high expectations but at some point I have to draw the line and EA doesn't even come close to making the cut.

UPlay is an inconvenience but at least it's relatively innocuous; it's easily preferable to GFWL. Origin is an alright client and I don't even have any problem with games on Steam requiring it but I personally like to buy all my games on Steam for practicality and for the community features.

News Comments > PC Lead Platform for Watch_Dogs
33. Re: PC Lead Platform for Watch_Dogs Feb 27, 2013, 18:33 theyarecomingforyou

Acleacius wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 17:09:
Exactly. How pro PC can a developer be if they force you to constantly spam your escape key. Not to mention don't have UI with a set key for each window or Save/Quicksave anytime.
So a PC game HAS to feature quicksave functionality and CAN'T make you use the Esc button? Please. Quicksave fundamentally undermines the difficulty of games and, as a PC gamer through-and-through, I was GLAD to see Far Cry 3 not use it. As for requiring you to constantly press Esc, that was a design flaw - not a console issue - and a patch was released to address that.

Acleacius wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 17:09:
Or maybe they are just delusional and believe they are a PC developer, instead of just being a PC port developer.
You know what? Fuck you. Far Cry 3 was a great PC and if you can't see that then I pity you. I literally pity you. We're not talking about a game like RAGE or Aliens: Colonial Marines that were obviously crippled by their focus on consoles - we're talking about a game that played to the strengths of the platform.

I mean, let's look at some of the PC exclusives we have. Let's look at STALKER. It's interface? Utter shit. The Witcher... shit interface, clunky gameplay. Crysis? Shit performance, fake DX10 requirement and dumbed down gameplay. Where the fuck are these amazing PC-exclusive games that aren't being ruined by consoles? Diablo III? Oh no, that required you to play online and people were annoyed with the real-money auction house. Just because a game isn't exactly how YOU want it to be doesn't mean it's dumbed down for consoles. Sometimes bad design decisions are just that - bad design decisions.

I don't like consoles. I don't own any consoles. I consider them to be inferior to PC in just about every way. But they're not responsible for every issue with PC gaming. Jesus.

20. Re: PC Lead Platform for Watch_Dogs Feb 27, 2013, 14:03 theyarecomingforyou

Kajetan wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 12:28:
A lot of effort? A variety of people experiencing a lot (!) of technical problems with these two games might think otherwise.
And I'm sure people that find a hair in their food while eating at McDonald's are equally annoyed but that doesn't mean it's representative of the experience. Far Cry 3 was a very well done PC port that took advantage of the platform and I found it to be a very reliable game, especially considering the scale and complexity of the game - as did the other people I talked to about it.

Here we have a developer putting the PC first and yet people still want to bitch and moan. Get a life.

13. Re: PC Lead Platform for Watch_Dogs Feb 27, 2013, 11:27 theyarecomingforyou

Kajetan wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 10:13:
Yupp. Its only marketing. Nothing more.
Actually, Ubisoft has a history of decent PC releases for multiplatform games. Recent games like Assassin's Creed 3 and Far Cry 3 took advantage of DX11 features and really had a lot of effort put in.

7. Re: PC Lead Platform for Watch_Dogs Feb 27, 2013, 09:48 theyarecomingforyou

Well, even if it's just a PR statement at least it's better than being ignored. GTA5 is its closest rival and the PC has been actively snubbed as a platform, which is particularly offensive after the disgusting PC port of GTA4. And at least Ubisoft is willing to show off actual gameplay, which Rockstar has been unwilling to do.

It remains to be seen whether Watch_Dogs will live up to its potential but it certainly looks promising.

News Comments > The War Z Returns to Steam; Refunds End
17. Re: The War Z Returns to Steam; Refunds End Feb 27, 2013, 05:33 theyarecomingforyou

Mad Max RW wrote on Feb 26, 2013, 23:10:
I find it hilarious WarZ has more people playing it than A:CM.
It gives a good indication as to how bad A:CM is. I also find it interesting that the Wii U release is supposedly next month and yet most online stores don't have it and even those that do don't have a release date for it. At this point it's looking like they'll abandon the Wii U release altogether, which means sales must be REALLY bad.

News Comments > No Diablo III PC/PS4 Play
35. Re: No Diablo III PC/PS4 Play Feb 26, 2013, 11:36 theyarecomingforyou

Verno wrote on Feb 26, 2013, 11:24:
It really depends on the game obviously. To use one of your examples though, I guess you don't remember the release user interface in The Witcher 2 which was very poorly designed to accommodate gamepads (console or otherwise).
I played it from release and never considered it to be dumbed down by consoles. Considerations were made for controller but controllers are an important part of modern PC game design, much in the same way that joysticks used to be. The reality is that most interfaces are poor, regardless of whether a game is released on console or not - TW2 interface was a HUGE improvement over the PC-only original game; the STALKER interface was terrible, etc. I dislike consoles because I think they offer a poor experience and terrible visual quality in comparison to PC but I don't blame them for everything wrong with PC gaming like some people around here do.

33. Re: No Diablo III PC/PS4 Play Feb 26, 2013, 10:49 theyarecomingforyou

Verno wrote on Feb 26, 2013, 10:20:
There's really no need for the immature name calling. The beta test and demo were very limited, many people felt one way about one and ended up feeling different about the released product. People had high expectations for a product a decade in the making, some emotion is to be expected.
The Starter Edition (demo) gives you a good indication of what the game's like and if you can't determine whether you like the game or not from that then perhaps "idiot" is the appropriate term.

My theory is that the game is fun initially but peaks quickly then there is little depth and people get frustrated. It also doesn't bring much new to the table and cuts down on a lot of complexity that people enjoyed in the previous titles.
I disagree. In comparison to games like Torchlight 1 & 2 it as much greater longevity, even though I like those games. The trouble was that people had built up unreasonable expectations and then all turned on the game because of the required internet connection.

I don't think it's honest to say they designed it "around" being a console game but likewise I think it's dishonest to claim the game wasn't affected by the need for an eventual console release.
I do. It's the same bullshit we hear every time. Torchlight 2 wasn't developed around consoles but it didn't have the same longevity or depth as D3 - it's still a great game in its own right, better in some aspects, but consoles had no basis in its shortcomings.

Consoles do have a negative impact on a lot of games but not on games where the PC is the primary platform (Diablo 3, Team Fortress 2, The Witcher 2). People said the same bullshit about The Witcher 2 because it supported controllers, when that is something expected of a modern game.

30. Re: No Diablo III PC/PS4 Play Feb 26, 2013, 09:40 theyarecomingforyou

ochentay4 wrote on Feb 25, 2013, 21:50:
I started to think that one more reason that Diablo 3 sucks so hard on PC is because Blizzard always wanted to port the game to any console, and as we all know, any game for console has many restrictions, like GRAPHICS for example, which are totally dissapointing in Diablo.

This game is the worst I played since a long time, and I'm sad cause I payed 60 hard earned bucks on it.
Then you're officially an idiot, as there was a beta test and a demo for people to try. There was no excuse for buying a game you were unsure about. As for the game always being designed around console, that's utter nonsense.

The game certainly had its faults (like the auction house and in-game economy) and there were connectivity issues around launch but I don't understand why it's so popular to hate on it. It's fun, whether you're playing co-op with friends or simply pubbing it; it's constantly updated; it's challenging; the loot constantly has you looking for new gear, etc. I put in about 70hrs into the game and very much enjoyed it. I haven't played it for months but I probably will go back to it, maybe when they release an expansion for it.

News Comments > Watch_Dogs Trailer, Website
25. Re: Watch_Dogs Trailer, Website Feb 25, 2013, 21:33 theyarecomingforyou

PHJF wrote on Feb 25, 2013, 12:59:
And I sincerely hope this isn't the case because I am not paying a dime for anything on an upcoming console that isn't 1080p. If they have to lock at 30FPS, fine.
I imagine it will be similar to the current gen, in that to get 60fps they'll have to scale down the resolution (maybe as low as 720p) but most games will manage 1080p at 30fps. Either way the next-gen consoles aren't going to be close to what is possible on the PC and in a few years even budget PC gaming will be considerably ahead.

High DPI displays are just around the corner (they're already here for tablets/laptops but they're not mainstream or optimised for gaming) and it won't be long before 4K / Ultra-HD is the standard; hopefully we'll also see refresh rates increase, as 60Hz is too low and TN-panels are an unacceptable tradeoff.

I'll be sticking to PC gaming.

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines Postmortem
38. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Postmortem Feb 25, 2013, 21:21 theyarecomingforyou

Based on the visuals of the E3 demo there's no way it was too demanding for the average PC, unless the engine itself was very poorly coded. I mean, games like Far Cry 3 and Crysis 3 managed just fine with scalability and they actually looked decent. The reality is the entire development cycle was a clusterfuck and the PR was WAY over the top considering the quality of the game.

Also, the idea that older PCs would have struggled but consoles weren't an issue is simply ludicrous.

News Comments > Watch_Dogs Trailer, Website
6. Re: Watch_Dogs Trailer, Website Feb 25, 2013, 10:12 theyarecomingforyou

Isn't it time that developers stopped putting out hugely compressed, sub-1080p videos? I literally can't tell the difference between videos showing off the PS4 and videos showing off current-gen games, when there's obviously a noticeable difference from just the resolution alone.

The game looks great though.

News Comments > Tomb Raider PC Details; Specs
15. Re: Tomb Raider PC Details; Specs Feb 23, 2013, 08:34 theyarecomingforyou

mlw wrote on Feb 22, 2013, 19:19:
I have this on pre-order, but, need to check on the 'save' feature. If it uses checkpoints, I will cancel. I hate that with a passion.
Yeah, game's are more difficult when you can't save-scum.

48. Re: Ubisoft Courting PC Gamers Feb 23, 2013, 06:53 theyarecomingforyou

Julio wrote on Feb 22, 2013, 19:30:
Ubi should drop the PC as a platform
Fuck you. If you don't like Ubisoft games then don't buy them but leave the rest of us that do out of it. Ubisoft has backed away from limited-activations and always-on requirements because of pressure from PC gamers and FC3's UPlay implementation, while unnecessary, was pretty innocuous. If anything PC gamers should support Ubisoft for responding to the community. Currently I refuse to buy EA games due to its anti-consumer practices - like I used to do with Ubisoft - but if EA were to reform its ways then I'd change my position.

24. Re: Ubisoft Courting PC Gamers Feb 22, 2013, 14:07 theyarecomingforyou

Fletch wrote on Feb 22, 2013, 13:34:
Not interested. Ubisoft has been given a lifetime ban from my PC (and I don't do consoles).
You say that as if you don't pirate all your games anyway.

15. Re: Ubisoft Courting PC Gamers Feb 22, 2013, 12:04 theyarecomingforyou

Verno wrote on Feb 22, 2013, 09:17:
While not perfect, Far Cry 3 and AC3 were pretty good PC ports. I don't love Uplay but its fairly innocuous and at least works with Steam in a roundabout way. I'm glad they backed down on their weird DRM strategy, they make a lot of interesting games and I didn't want to miss out on a bunch.
This.

Ubisoft is better than a lot of publishers when it comes to PC, especially now that it has backed down from its DRM policy.

News Comments > Tomb Raider PC Details; Specs
5. Re: Tomb Raider PC Details; Specs Feb 22, 2013, 12:00 theyarecomingforyou

Already preordered. Looking forward to it.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Crysis 3; Review Roundup
32. Re: Ships Ahoy - Crysis 3; Review Roundup Feb 20, 2013, 15:49 theyarecomingforyou

Ratty wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 15:01:
All the hate for the aliens and mutants in Crytek games. If I wanted to play a version without the monsters I might as well play Battlefield or CoD. I just have no desire to play a realistic shooter. I liked the aliens and monsters.
It's not that people don't like aliens or mutants, as Half-Life and Bioshock perfectly illustrate the contrary; the issue is that the aliens in the original Crysis were handled appallingly, like pretty much every element of the narrative.

Games don't have to feature monsters in order to not be Battlefield or Call Of Duty. In fact that's why people were so annoyed by Far Cry's ending, as up until that point it was a perfectly good conventional shooter. Far Cry 2 and 3 featured mature plots and were alien/mutant free, which was really refreshing for the genre. Going further I'd like to see games move away from combat, like Mirror's Edge, Amnesia and Dear Esther did to great effect.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Crysis 3; Review Roundup
28. Re: Ships Ahoy - Crysis 3; Review Roundup Feb 20, 2013, 11:24 theyarecomingforyou

AngelicPenguin wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 10:49:
I agree with SirKnight - I thought Crysis was quite a bit better than Crysis 2, but I enjoyed them both. Too many narrow hallways in 2 (or should I say alleyways conveniently filled with crushed debris.)
The problem with Crysis is that it was a sandbox shooter with minimal narrative, only the gameplay wasn't particularly fun. Crysis 2 was certainly more linear but it had much better atmosphere, more memorable characters and better voice acting. Crysis 3 looks similar to Crysis 2 but a bit more open, which is fine by me.

I don't see being linear as a problem if the game is enjoyable - just look at Half-Life, Metro 2033, Bioshock. For me the atmosphere / setting of a game is very important and Crysis absolutely blew in that department.

PS - For what it's worth I thought Warhead was pretty decent, as it had much better pacing.

6020 Comments. 301 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo