Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonas Taylor

Real Name Jonas Taylor   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname theyarecomingforyou
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 8, 2005, 11:25
Total Comments 6091 (Guru)
User ID 22891

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Redesigned Steam Controller Unveiled
24. Re: Redesigned Steam Controller Unveiled Mar 15, 2014, 11:10 theyarecomingforyou

JohnBirshire wrote on Mar 15, 2014, 05:09:
This whole project is a waste of time, effort, and money. Give it up already and spend the resources elsewhere.
Valve isn't beholden to shareholders - it is free to spend money as it sees fit. Personally I think this is a great move and I look forward to getting hold of one of these. More importantly, it's critical to Valve's move into the console market with Steam Machines.

From my perspective I'd agree that a d-pad would be the more logical choice. The touchscreen is neither here-nor-there - it could be a good idea but I can certainly understand why it was dropped; cost was probably a factor.

Price is going to be critical with this. Hopefully it won't end up costing 50 like the PS4 controller, though I'm happy to buy it regardless.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > F1 2013 Free Weekend
4. Re: F1 2013 Free Weekend Mar 13, 2014, 23:13 theyarecomingforyou

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 20:29:
I've been playing it for about an hour and having a great time. I own 2012 but somehow never got into it, this one feels different though.
Yeah, 2013 is a massive improvement and the classic cars are superb. I'm really looking forward to F1 2014 with all the technical changes made to the sport.

News Comments > Watch Dogs Minimum PC Specs
11. Re: Watch Dogs Minimum PC Specs Mar 12, 2014, 13:22 theyarecomingforyou

Bundy wrote on Mar 12, 2014, 09:47:
Looking for, but don't see "Win7/8 64 bit". Damn.
Given that it was posted in a tweet I would assume it was omitted due to the character limit.

News Comments > Titanfall 48GB Install is 35GB of Audio
54. Re: Titanfall 48GB Install is 35GB of Audio Mar 12, 2014, 07:11 theyarecomingforyou

NKD wrote on Mar 12, 2014, 02:50:
Nah, it's 2014. Many of us have moved on to SSDs to decrease loading times and stuttering in games that stream content into memory. Unfortunately SSDs are significantly more expensive per gig so needlessly huge games force us to either be more choosy about what we have installed at a given time, or force us to install them to slower spinny disk drives.
I have an SSD for my primary drive but it's simply not practical to use them for gaming. The reason I love Steam is because I no longer have to mess about with discs, installers and directories, as everything is handled automatically - I can have all my games installed. Having to manually install / transfer games onto an SSD and constantly swap them out because of the limited storage just doesn't appeal to me.

Things aren't going to improve until hybrid drives take off (and have the reliability) or SSDs get much, much larger.

As for the size, it states in the summary that it is uncompressed after download so it has no impact on download caps or download time. The real issue is that Titanfall looks pretty crappy and doesn't have a legitimate reason to be using that much space. It was the same with RAGE, which took up a huge amount of space for the textures but they all looked shit in-game. If a game is going to take the best part of 50GB it should be because it dramatically enhances the game, not because it benefits the small percentage of users running the game on minimum specs.

News Comments > CryENGINE Linux Support Announced
6. Re: CryENGINE Linux Support Announced Mar 12, 2014, 07:00 theyarecomingforyou

Roll on SteamOS.  

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Delayed to February 2015
19. Re: The Witcher 3 Delayed to February 2015 Mar 11, 2014, 18:00 theyarecomingforyou

I wasn't expecting it to be released this year, so this comes as no surprise.  

News Comments > Tomb Raider "Exceeded Profit Expectations"
17. Re: Tomb Raider Mar 7, 2014, 13:00 theyarecomingforyou

As pointed out, just because it surpassed previous games in the franchise doesn't mean that it is doing well when compared to the rest of the industry. It also depends on how much SE spent advertising the game, as if they invested heavily and only achieved average sales then it can be deemed a disappointment.

Regardless, it was an excellent game and I very much enjoyed it. It took advantage of the PC platform and I respect developers that do that. I look forward to the inevitable sequel.

News Comments > MS Planning DirectX 12
38. Re: MS Planning DirectX 12 Mar 6, 2014, 11:56 theyarecomingforyou

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 11:22:
I doubt we will need new hardware to run DX12.
If the graphics hardware in the current gaming consoles don't support DX12 you bet there won't be too many dev studio that will take "advantage" of the technology because they want their games to be on the console.
Yeah, just like developers didn't take advantage of DX11 because the X360 and PS3 didn't support it... oh wait, that's nonsense. DirectX exists to simplify the development process and sell hardware, otherwise nVidia and AMD would simply opt for their own APIs - in fact the stagnation in DirectX development has already resulted in AMD introducing its own API, Mantle.

There's only so much that can be done via software improvements and Microsoft needs something substantial to retain relevance, otherwise that empowers competitors like Valve with its Steam Machines. The next-gen consoles are fixed platforms and won't be able to benefit from most of the improvements anyway due to their lack of GPU power.

PS - Don't console developers work directly with the hardware instead of using an abstraction layer like DirectX?

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight Trailer
2. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight Trailer Mar 4, 2014, 14:53 theyarecomingforyou

I was very impressed for a video showing no actual gameplay. Normally I hate these sorts of trailers.  

News Comments > Gone Gold - Titanfall
15. Re: Gone Gold - Titanfall Feb 27, 2014, 11:52 theyarecomingforyou

nin wrote on Feb 27, 2014, 10:01:
We're a little over 3 months into it, where traditionally, there's a lull between launch titles and additional games.

1-2 years from now will be the real indicator.
Graphically this is the weakest generation of consoles we've seen. The XB1 is unable to hit 1080p in a lot of games, including Titanfall, with several going as low as 720p. We never saw drops that substantial with the last generation. Microsoft is having to remove all the GPU and CPU allocated for the OS / Kinect just to get games running well. Even the PS4 exclusive The Order: 1886 will run in letterbox (25% lower resolution than 1080p) and at 30fps.

I really hope that Valve gets Steam Machines right as it has the potential to make traditional consoles obsolete. As usual, the PC is where graphical innovation is happening.

News Comments > THIEF Launch Trailer
28. Re: THIEF Launch Trailer Feb 20, 2014, 14:06 theyarecomingforyou

After playing Dishonored this just looks... meh. If it receives positive reviews I might give it a second look but I'm not expecting much.  

News Comments > Wolfenstein in May; Preorders Get Future DOOM Beta Access
28. Re: Wolfenstein in May; Preorders Get Future DOOM Beta Access Feb 19, 2014, 21:37 theyarecomingforyou

siapnar wrote on Feb 19, 2014, 15:52:
I really don't know how people rag on RAGE for having bad graphics. That game could look absolutely STUNNING at times.
It was a technical marvel in it's creative approach to texture painting.
It had no dynamics lighting, used 2D sprites for environment items, had extremely low polygon items and looked utterly shit if you got anywhere near any of the textures.

I've shown these before but here's proof:

Horrific texture compression
Extremely low resolution textures
Low polygon, low resolution objects
2D sprites
Inexcusable low resolution, low poly objects

The game could look half decent at times but overall it was a disaster. It was completely compromised because of consoles. I mean, we're not talking about minor criticisms here - the game looked like an abortion put in a blender.

News Comments > Wolfenstein in May; Preorders Get Future DOOM Beta Access
18. Re: Wolfenstein in May; Preorders Get Future DOOM Beta Access Feb 19, 2014, 15:38 theyarecomingforyou

Nobody cares about Wolfenstein or DOOM anymore. id Software used to push the envelope technologically but RAGE was a disaster in every respect (gameplay, graphics, technology, etc).

Pre-ordering a shit game to get beta access to another shit game is not really my sort of thing.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 7, 2014, 10:10 theyarecomingforyou

InBlack wrote on Feb 7, 2014, 09:59:
Sort of like what happened with Diablo3 on the PC.
Except that Diablo III was a great game.

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $38M
39. Re: Star Citizen Schedule Feb 6, 2014, 12:41 theyarecomingforyou

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 6, 2014, 11:19:
I have a hard time believing that will happen.
Maybe they will surprise me but I don't think they are far enough in development to hit that target.
I think the delay for the dogfighting module is understandable given the huge expectations for the game. Rushing to hit the target would have delayed the final release and if it was poorly received it would have dried up any funding (not that any more is needed) - delays are understandable and every major crowdfunded game has seen delays. Heck, even a lot of AAA games are delayed (Half-Life, Half-Life 2, Far Cry 3, Bioshock Infinite, Metro: Last Light, etc)

The dogfighting module is basically how people will perceive the game - the persistent universe, content, FPS, economy and such all supplement the space combat. If it's not right then people will quickly lose interest. Fair or not, people expect more of the game now than when they backed the Kickstarter to hit the $500,000 target and that's a factor.

The way I see it, there are no decent space sims out there so I've got nothing to lose by backing this. It is one of my favourite genres and I'm happy to gamble on a title as promising as this. However, everything I've seen so far has been positive.

If people don't want to back it then don't - wait for the final game to be released, check out the reviews and decide whether you want it then. But clearly a lot of people have faith in this project.

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $38M
32. Re: Star Citizen Passes $38M Feb 6, 2014, 08:23 theyarecomingforyou

NKD wrote on Feb 6, 2014, 03:55:
No one on this site ever admits being wrong. Blue's regulars are Masters of mental gymnastics capable of twisting anything they've said in the past into being technically correct, the best kind of correct.
Bullshit. I thought RAGE and BRINK were going to be decent games... I was completely wrong. Now piss off back to your cave.

News Comments > Titanfall Beta Requires 64-Bit OS
36. Re: Titanfall Beta Requires 64-Bit OS Feb 5, 2014, 18:53 theyarecomingforyou

ViRGE wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 01:10:
At this point with all current-gen consoles using Blu-Rays (even the Wii!), we're the ones that are behind. If you buy games on physical media - and you may want to, because they're about to get really big - then it's time to upgrade to a Blu-Ray drive.
Who the hell uses optical drives anymore? I used to have a Blu-ray drive a few years back but never used it, so I removed it to add an extra hard-drive. Windows can be installed via USB drive (much faster); games and software I can download digitally; movies and music are all downloadable / streamable.

Consoles aren't ahead because they have Blu-ray drives - they're behind because they haven't transitioned to digital distribution. With digital distribution there is no limit to the size games can be, which isn't true of physical media. I HATE messing about with physical discs and am glad to see the back of it. I have 1.8TB of games installed with Steam, something which isn't possible on ANY 'next-gen' console.

News Comments > Gone Gold - Thief; New Trailer Released
84. Re: Gone Gold - Thief; New Trailer Released Feb 4, 2014, 18:53 theyarecomingforyou

The game looks really weak. Dishonored set the bar high and this just looks like a wannabe clone. I'm pretty surprised actually, as this is the studio behind DE:HR which was one of my favourite games.

You can see that this is definitely a last-gen game. Graphically there's no two ways about it - the game looks bad. And in terms of reboots it pales in comparison to the recent Tomb Raider and XCOM: Enemy Unknown (different genres sure but great examples of how a new direction can work).

I doubt I'll even pick this up on sale. This game just looks like it will annoy me and I love to play stealthy in games like Dishonored and DE:HR. I expect it to get trashed in the reviews.

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Mantle Update Released
33. Re: Battlefield 4 Mantle Update Released Jan 30, 2014, 13:05 theyarecomingforyou

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 30, 2014, 12:29:
These results are nowhere near the mind-blowing game-changer Mantle was hyped up to be. You're right in that the main reason high-end CF is seeing the largest boost is because they're finally able to get closer to twice the performance with twice the GPUs, thanks to these new optimizations. That's something NVIDIA was able to pull off with their architecture + drivers back when Fermi came out in the 400 series.
If the results mentioned earlier are representative of the performance gains, which remains to be seen, then they're completely in line with what I was expecting and will have a major impact upon the market. Suddenly an AMD card that was on par with an nVidia card is now considerably faster in supported games.

With that sort of performance I'd happily consider going back to AMD, especially now some of their longstanding issues have been addressed (multi-GPU frame spacing). However, I imagine the actually gains will be less impressive than those mentioned.

The game I'm most looking forward to is Star Citizen and it will include Mantle support, so that's a considerable influencing factor.

News Comments > Star Citizen Dogfighting Module Delay
48. Re: Star Citizen Dogfighting Module Delay Dec 17, 2013, 12:58 theyarecomingforyou

Stormsinger wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 12:25:
You can't make promises that it will release in December no matter what, then delay it because you decided to make it better. Well, you can, but you're still not keeping your promise.
The pledge to release the dogfighting module was made last year before the Kickstarter was a runaway success and it broke all crowdfunding records, leading to a change in the scale and scope of the game. Those following the YouTube channel have known for a while that the dogfighting module was facing a potential delay so as not to delay the final release of the game by forking the code. Don't forget that every other major Kickstarter game has faced delays (Wasteland 2, Double Fine, etc).

So fuck all the moaning. Go back to your caves.

6091 Comments. 305 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo