Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonas Taylor

Real Name Jonas Taylor   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname theyarecomingforyou
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 8, 2005, 11:25
Total Comments 6041 (Guru)
User ID 22891

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Civilization: Beyond Earth Trailer
16. Re: Civilization: Beyond Earth Trailer Oct 1, 2014, 17:22 theyarecomingforyou

I preordered it a while back. The game looks awesome. The only question is whether it will be a true replacement to Civilization V or merely a distraction. Considering that I've sunk over 460hrs into Civ5 it's going to have to be a pretty amazing game to top that, though I'm optimistic.

Personally I thought Civilization V was great out of the box and a worthy successor to Civilization IV. Sure it lacked some features (as is inevitable with a game so massive in scale and built-up over numerous expansions) but it really advanced the series, with the expansions taking it even further.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > PC GTA5 in January
54. Re: PC GTA5 in January Sep 12, 2014, 15:54 theyarecomingforyou

Rockstar demonstrating utter contempt for PC gamers? Quelle surprise.  

News Comments > Dead Rising 3 Tomorrow; Launch Trailer Today
13. Re: Dead Rising 3 Tomorrow; Launch Trailer Today Sep 5, 2014, 06:30 theyarecomingforyou

Shitty port? No thanks.  

News Comments > Linux & OS X Tropico 5 This Month
1. Re: Linux & OS X Tropico 5 This Month Sep 4, 2014, 10:53 theyarecomingforyou

Loving the game so far. The campaign is pretty decent and it finally has multiplayer, though I haven't really pushed it.  

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Layoffs; Struggling Financially?
24. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Layoffs; Struggling Financially? Sep 4, 2014, 05:36 theyarecomingforyou

Personally I'm glad. I hate the MMO model - it incentivises grind over fun. I love TES series but this atrocity needs to burn.  

News Comments > SEGA's Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Response
15. Re: SEGA's Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Response Sep 4, 2014, 05:17 theyarecomingforyou

jdreyer wrote on Sep 4, 2014, 04:26:
Well, true. It went from horror movie to action movie. But one of the greatest action movies that has ever been made. I love both movies, but they are very different.
Exactly. In fact it's very much like Terminator, which went from dark horror in the first film to all out action in the second. They're both great films but for different reasons.

News Comments > Steam AU Refund Legal Dispute
13. Re: Steam AU Refund Legal Dispute Aug 29, 2014, 14:54 theyarecomingforyou

Qbex . wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 10:27:
I'd like them to answer to consumer watchdog why the fuck they charge 89.99$ USD for Civ Beyond Earth among many other titles sold on Steam Au. I largely forgo pirating games but thing like that wants me to do it just in spite
That'll be the publishers doing it to appease physical retailers.

News Comments > Steam Allows Multiple Game Installs
17. Re: Steam Allows Multiple Game Installs Aug 27, 2014, 19:09 theyarecomingforyou

fiftykyu wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 17:23:
Wow, forgot about that drive. Not much use today, but it sure was great back then. Still have mine lying around here somewhere, bet it still works too.

But enjoy the new SSD experience, if you haven't had one before! Even one of today's cheapest ones will probably blow you away...
I had a Raptor back in the day and it was unbelievably noisy and performance wasn't that much better than a traditional drive. SSDs on the otherhand are much more dramatic.

I look forward to when SSDs are affordable enough to replace HDDs altogether. Until then I'm looking at a 5TB HDD for my next purchase (the 6TB drives are a bit too expensive still).

News Comments > GOG.com Adds DRM-Free Movies; TV Coming
13. Re: GOG.com Adds DRM-Free Movies; TV Coming Aug 27, 2014, 16:08 theyarecomingforyou

Hyatus wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 13:19:
How did they beat Steam to the punch?
Steam has movies as well(granted, not DRM-free).
Exactly.

This announcement is incredibly underwhelming when you look at the available titles. Valve's upcoming TV and movies will almost certainly be a lot more credible. I like GOG but it's going to have to do a lot more to become mainstream.

News Comments > EA's $1B DLC Goal
1. Re: EA's $1B DLC Goal Aug 26, 2014, 19:28 theyarecomingforyou

Yay, DLC. /s  

News Comments > Win8 Age of Empires: Castle Siege Announced
41. Re: Win8 Age of Empires: Castle Siege Announced Aug 26, 2014, 15:21 theyarecomingforyou

Verno wrote on Aug 26, 2014, 13:03
uite the opposite, I've frequently defended Microsoft when I think its appropriate and called them out them when they're nonsensical, that's how its supposed to work. They're a corporation, not my "buddy" or something.

The fact that you think you were "attacked" says a lot about your mindset and bias here. You were the one criticizing other peoples thoughts, no one said boo about yours on the game. If you mean my personal observation then fair enough, I've just noticed you have an overly positive bent to anything Microsoft but I should've kept it to myself. [/quote:

Exactly. Microsoft has taken a cherished PC franchise and reduced it to a pathetic joke, what with the pay-2-win AoE:Online, this bullshit, shutting down Ensemble and talk of a TV series.

News Comments > Win8 Age of Empires: Castle Siege Announced
12. Re: Win8 Age of Empires: Castle Siege Announced Aug 26, 2014, 05:28 theyarecomingforyou

So this is Microsoft's recommitment to PC gaming? They can fuck right off.  

News Comments > Steam Controller Analog Stick Explained
8. Re: Steam Controller Analog Stick Explained Aug 25, 2014, 05:08 theyarecomingforyou

born2expire wrote on Aug 24, 2014, 21:28:
they need to just give up and realize that PC gamers are gonna use a mouse and keyboard.
Yeah, nobody on PC uses controllers, steering wheels or joysticks. /s

I use controllers for games where appropriate, as they're especially good for local co-op. Controllers are great for racing games, where mouse and keyboard is demonstrably worse and steering wheels take up too much space / cost too much. Controllers are also great when I use Steam's Big Picture mode and switch to my HDTV.

If Valve can improve the accuracy and functionality of controllers then we should all get behind that. I use a X360 wireless controller because it's a good design that's widely supported - if Valve can better it then I'm there. I'll probably pick up a Steam controller at release, provided reviews are decent.

News Comments > Unreal Tournament Pre-Alpha
18. Re: Unreal Tournament Pre-Alpha Aug 20, 2014, 15:08 theyarecomingforyou

I don't know how this can even be called a pre-alpha, as it's just a box in the UE4 engine with a few rehashed weapons from UT3. There's literally no point in this release.  

News Comments > Crytek to Repair Reputation with "Really High Quality Games"
46. Re: Crytek to Repair Reputation with Aug 20, 2014, 10:33 theyarecomingforyou

The gameplay was clunky, especially the suit powers. The gunplay didn't feel right. The levels were dull and linear, despite their large size - Far Cry felt more open. The enemies were utterly generic. The plot was beyond cliched. The third-person vehicles were awkward and out of place. To me it was just a glorified tech demo.

For me I much prefer games that create a compelling universe, that leaves gaps for the players to fill in and that have a decent narrative. My favourites are games like Half-Life / 2, Far Cry 2 / 3, STALKER: SoC / Clear Sky, Metro: 2033 / Last Light, Bioshock Infinite, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, etc.

It also doesn't help that Crysis was published by EA, one of the shittiest publishers out there.

News Comments > Crytek to Repair Reputation with "Really High Quality Games"
44. Re: Crytek to Repair Reputation with Aug 20, 2014, 08:03 theyarecomingforyou

Quboid wrote on Aug 19, 2014, 20:15:
I've recently been replaying Crysis and it holds up really well. Parts of it reminded me of Far Cry 3, like as I prepared to attack an enemy base. I've got nearly as far as the aliens so, eeeeh, I think I'm done with that. It looks very nice, as I can now turn on most of the effects at a resolution above what its UI allowed for.
Graphically it holds up but the gameplay was weak at the time and hasn't held up well. Certainly it doesn't have the enjoyability or replayability of Far Cry 2 or 3. Crysis 2 was the better game, even if it was more linear.

News Comments > Star Citizen at $50 Million; New Commercial
54. Re: Star Citizen at $50 Million; New Commercial Aug 17, 2014, 16:11 theyarecomingforyou

El Pit wrote on Aug 17, 2014, 10:51:
Ehm... Big names in Wing Commander? Mark Hamill seems to be a very nice guy, but nowhere a big name in movie biz. Except for Star Wars, his career has been less then stellar (pun intended). And Rhys-Davies neither is a top star in Hollywood, but has been co-starring in some good movies (Raiders, Rings...) AND starred in a lot of cheap b- and c-movie productions. Both are not earning million(s) for (voice) acting.
They were some of the biggest names to have appeared in a video game at that time, so it's all relative. Nowadays AAA voice acting in videogames is quite common.

52. Re: Star Citizen at $50 Million; New Commercial Aug 17, 2014, 07:56 theyarecomingforyou

The game has raised over $1m in two days, all through the publicity from the trailer and Gamescom appearance. The trailer has more than paid for itself. Clearly people are happy with the direction the game is going.

Now to address a couple of other criticisms I've seen posted recently. There is talk of a reward system within Arena Commander that will allow people to earn better ships than they have pledged for, which should negate some of the P2W criticism before the release of the PU. As for the cost of voice acting, I think games benefit from having big names attached to them - Oblivion, Fallout 3 and the Batman games certainly did, as did Wing Commander back in the day. Certainly they should be sensible with the amount spent but the game has yet to even be released and they've pulled in an obscene amount of money.

39. Re: Star Citizen at $50 Million; New Commercial Aug 16, 2014, 19:16 theyarecomingforyou

I might be wrong on the amount for voice acting but I definitely remember it being at least $10m. It was covered in one of the Wingman's Hangar videos, though I haven't been able to find which one and my Google/RSI forum searches have been in vain. Celebrity voice acting was promised at the $5m stretch goal, so obviously if it could be done at that budget then what we're going to be getting now is substantially more than that. That cost includes all the motion capture work they're doing, as they've invested in a cutting edge system.

Don't forget that a lot of Chris Roberts' games have featured major voice actors and Squadron 42 is being developed as a full game in itself. It's also worth remembering that the game is going to raise significantly more money between now and its release, as many people are waiting for it to be released before buying it. I'd be surprised if the game doesn't hit $75m, given that this release pulled in $500,000 alone and it's managing $40 a day.

27. Re: Star Citizen at $50 Million; New Commercial Aug 16, 2014, 16:57 theyarecomingforyou

jdreyer wrote on Aug 16, 2014, 16:05:
As a supporter of this project (at the base level) I do have to say that it's been nearly 2 years, and there's very little to show. It's worrying. After two years most studios would be in full game alpha at least, but all we have is the arena tech demo and some nice commercials.
A game of this scale, with a persistent online universe, is not a two-year project. That said, in two weeks we're going to see the addition of atmospheric racing, new hangars, at least two new ships and friend-based matchmaking. Then a couple of months later we'll be at version 1.0, which we will find out more about later. The engine is still being rewritten for 64-bit, which is required for most of the advanced features.

As for the extra money raised, that's going to things like hiring big name voice actors (which they reckon could cost $20-30m), developers (a substantial cost given the skills required), supporting the persistent universe for years, etc.

CIG has done a good job of keeping the community informed, while holding enough back to present a few surprises.

6041 Comments. 303 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo