Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonas Taylor

Real Name Jonas Taylor   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname theyarecomingforyou
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 8, 2005, 11:25
Total Comments 6008 (Guru)
User ID 22891

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Half-Life Anniversary
10. Re: Half-Life Anniversary Nov 19, 2013, 13:00 theyarecomingforyou

Mad Max RW wrote on Nov 19, 2013, 12:25:
So did the rest of the Black Mesa mod come out yet? Any updates on that?
I haven't heard anything. Still, Black Mesa was worth the wait - it was better than most modern shooters and it was put together by a bunch of amateurs. It really is testament to how Valve nailed the formula first time around.

It's a shame that Valve barely develops any games these days, though what they've done with Steam has redefined PC gaming. I only just found out that Big Picture mode allows you to set an alternate display, meaning no more manually changing the primary monitor when playing on my HDTV - shame it doesn't also do sound like XBMC.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Roberts: "Star Citizen is a PC Game"
40. Re: Roberts: Nov 18, 2013, 14:52 theyarecomingforyou

ItBurn wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 14:25:
What? These features don't, in any way, turn the game into a tech demo. Far cry 2 and 3 are tech demos? I had a LOT more fun with Crysis 1 than Crysis 2. Crysis 2 is a COD clone. Crysis 1 is the evolution of Farcry 1. The reason it's less fun is debatable, but I think it's because they tried to go the more serious route.
The problem with Crysis is that it had weak gameplay, a terrible narrative and was very poorly optimised. By the time people were able to play it at high settings there were games with much better gameplay, graphics and optimisation - Far Cry 2 being an obvious example. I can certainly understand why people refer to Crysis as a tech demo. Crysis 2 had a much better narrative, pace and optimisation - it was the better game, even if it went a bit too linear.

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Within Released
7. Re: XCOM: Enemy Within Released Nov 15, 2013, 05:11 theyarecomingforyou

Rhett wrote on Nov 15, 2013, 00:16:
Maybe he was just waiting for Europe. I think it was just released today for EU.
Yeah, it was only just released here.

Anyway, I still have a couple of hundred games on Steam that I really need to get around to play before picking this up... my motivation is not what it used to be. That said, this looks awesome so I'll probably pick it up around Christmas.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
9. Re: Op Ed Nov 13, 2013, 07:03 theyarecomingforyou

LibertyOrDeath wrote on Nov 11, 2013, 20:52:
I left google once they banned guns and ammo shopping
Yeah, I mean we can't have corporations behaving in an ethical manner based of the concerns of their customers. There are plenty of places in the US where you can buy guns and ammo - Google doesn't need to be one of them.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 11, 2013, 10:30 theyarecomingforyou

Microsoft has been competing with Google for 15 years in search (MSN Search, Live Search, Bing) and has spent over $11bn promoting Bing to amount a whopping... 18% of the market. It should have been dropped a long time ago.

As for Xbox, while it has been a successful brand it hasn't been a profitable one - in fact it has lost billions over the past 12 years. Further, the next-generation is uncertain territory. By all accounts Sony has a more powerful and significantly cheaper console and Microsoft could be dragged into a price war. Further, Valve will be introducing an open platform gaming system (Steam Machines) and it's quite possible we'll see Apple and Google enter the market too. I don't see traditional consoles with eight-year lifecycles having any future. Microsoft should spin-off / sell-off the Xbox division while it is still worth something.

If Elop really is considering dropping Bing and Xbox and pushing Office onto iOS and Android in a big way then he could be the sort of bold leader that Microsoft needs. The last thing Microsoft needs is a play-it-safe CEO who is desperately trying to play catch-up to the rest of the industry (like Balmer was with Windows 8 / Surface, Windows Phone, Zune, Bing, GFWL, etc).

News Comments > Warcraft and Warcraft II Coming to Modern PCs "In Some Form or Fashion"
6. No subject Nov 11, 2013, 10:13 theyarecomingforyou

The original Warcraft remains my favourite in the franchise. I thought each subsequent version lost some of the character that defined the original game. Part of that was due to ever lower unit caps.

Nothing beat using peasants / peons to cut paths through the trees, as it allowed for resources to be used as tactics. Same with summoning elementals, which were immensely powerful but had to be used carefully due to their limited summon time.

However, I can't imagine wanting to go back to it without a significant update of the graphics and UI.

News Comments > Steam Controller Demonstration Video
25. Re: Steam Controller Demonstration Video Oct 11, 2013, 19:14 theyarecomingforyou

It looks like an improvement over traditional controllers but not as accurate as keyboard and mouse... WHICH IS EXACTLY WHAT VALVE SAID IT WAS. I like to use controllers for certain genres of games and if Valve can improve that experience then I'll definitely be getting one. That said, I have no intention of playing Civilization 5 on controller - I'm more interested in trying to get my Leap Motion working with it.  

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Outed?
15. Re: Far Cry 4 Outed? Oct 9, 2013, 22:25 theyarecomingforyou

Aero wrote on Oct 9, 2013, 14:06:
The first two or so hours of Far Cry 3 was one of the best gaming experiences I can recall. The jungle was scary, there was danger around every corner, and the glimpse of a patrol or the sound of distant gunfire would send me scrambling for a hiding place in the bushes--occasionally maybe risking a stealth attack sneaking up on the tail end of a patrol.

Pretty quickly I became Rambo though, and I just strolled with impunity about the island obliterating anything that dared cross me.

I hope they can keep that initial feeling lasting longer in a sequel. To be honest though, I can't even really think of how to pull it off. You do need to feel like a badass eventually, but maybe not an effectively invincible badass.
Agreed. The parts of the game related to the plot were great but the survival elements and outposts seemed too much like filler. Overall it was a superb game though, especially the narrative and acting. That said I didn't quite get into it as much as Far Cry 2, which was so impressive because of its distinct setting and atmosphere (the music and sounds were excellent). That's not to say Far Cry 2 was better and it certainly had its issue but I still rate it highly.

News Comments > Steam Hardware Prototype Details
42. Re: Steam Hardware Prototype Details Oct 5, 2013, 11:11 theyarecomingforyou

MattyC wrote on Oct 5, 2013, 08:34:
I guess it isn't that expensive, but 16GB of RAM seems a bit over the top to me. I cannot imagine needing that much.
I think the point is more that there's a minimum to work with. nVidia's next GPU (Maxwell) will support unified memory for accessing system RAM, so maybe that's the end goal?

News Comments > Half-Life 3 TMed
10. Re: Half-Life 3 TMed Oct 1, 2013, 23:30 theyarecomingforyou

Cutter wrote on Oct 1, 2013, 21:13:
I'm not hopeful about this. If it happens it happens, super. Otherwise forget it. Particularly if it's tied into needing their Steam OS and their gamepad or some such nonsense.
That won't happen. SteamOS is a free operating system and Steam Machines isn't a closed platform, so there is no money to be made tying it to either.

However, what we might see is HL3 given away for free or heavily discounted for people who buy Steam Machines and/or the Valve controller. Valve doesn't have any background in hardware so it would make sense to tie it to a valuable IP - giving it away for free with Steam Machines would tie people into the Steam platform, much like Amazon does with the Kindle Fire; giving it away or heavily discounting it with the Valve controller and adding exclusive features for it would get it into the homes of most serious Steam users.

I don't have any intention of buying a Steam Machine or using SteamOS but I would be interesting in picking up a Valve controller, especially if it is bundled with HL3.

News Comments > Stardock Lawsuits Settled
12. Re: Stardock Lawsuits Settled Sep 24, 2013, 20:04 theyarecomingforyou

jacobvandy wrote on Sep 24, 2013, 18:42:
Bitch. Low-life individuals like this one aren't exactly helping the situation of "gender equality" in the industry. Guys don't cry sexual harassment when they get their feelings hurt and quit in a huff...
Sexual harassment is still sexual harassment and it is up to the individual to determine whether they consider it acceptable. Brad's behaviour was absolutely disgusting and I think she was completely justified in what she did.

News Comments > SteamOS Announced
57. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 16:15 theyarecomingforyou

The potential of this really depends on what else Valve is announcing. I imagine that the SteamBox will be one of the other announcements, undoubtedly running SteamOS, and that game sharing will be the last one.

If Valve can get hardware partners onboard then that means that Steam could pose a serious threat to the XB1 and PS4, as they'll be stuck on outdated hardware for the next eight years. It won't take long for SteamBox to support 4K gaming, which is something Microsoft and Sony can't compete with.

PS - It would be nice if Valve really pushed SteamOS as an alternative to Windows, as Microsoft has become far too complacent. Gaming is one of the biggest obstacles to overthrowing Windows and Valve has the potential to change that.

News Comments > Star Citizen Hits $19M - $21M Goal Revealed
10. Re: Star Citizen Hits $19M - $21M Goal Revealed Sep 17, 2013, 11:01 theyarecomingforyou

nin wrote on Sep 17, 2013, 10:30:
I'm still at the original $37 tier. Can't seem to justify paying cash for other virtual goodies (ships) when most can be earned in-game.
Same. I don't want to have to pay-to-win and there's something to be said about earning those ships for yourself. Sure there might be a bit of grind but if you could immediately jump to the best ship in the game then there wouldn't be much in the way of progression or hardship.

News Comments > Star Citizen Hits $18M - $20M Goal is Planetary FPS Combat
68. Re: Star Citizen Hits $18M - $20M Goal is Planetary FPS Combat Sep 8, 2013, 07:24 theyarecomingforyou

There isn't much I'd like more than to see Star Citizen implement FPS planetary combat but, as others have said, it strikes me as an incredibly ambitious goal. I appreciate that the CryEngine is built around FPS combat but it will still require a lot in terms of art assets, level design and gameplay design. How are they going to ensure there will be enough other players on the planet to make it interesting? I just don't want it to distract from the core mechanics.

I really hope they nail the gameplay in this and there is certainly a lot of potential given the amount of thought being put into it and the community participation. This is the game I've been waiting for since playing the original Tie Fighter nearly twenty years ago and Starlancer (another Chris Roberts' game) over thirteen years ago.

News Comments > Humble Origin Bundle Raises Over $10M
21. Re: Humble Origin Bundle Raises Over $10M Sep 4, 2013, 15:37 theyarecomingforyou

I'm all for money going to charity but I'm not going to support a business as unethical as EA. I mean, I wouldn't support Halliburton or Monsanto even if all the money was going to charity. At the end of the day this is money that EA can write-off against tax, that it can use to inflate its stats and extra users for its Origin service, all of which provide a tangible benefit to the company. No thanks.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Hangar Module Released
64. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Module Released Aug 31, 2013, 07:51 theyarecomingforyou

Jivaro wrote on Aug 30, 2013, 14:52:
It's an alpha, a test, and it came with a shit ton of disclaimers saying as much. If you find a bug, report it in the appropriate section of the forums...that is the point of the release.
Wildone wrote on Aug 30, 2013, 15:02:
omg how many times & disclaimers do they have to make and people STILL bitch about it...
Parias wrote on Aug 30, 2013, 15:06:
You completely missed the point of this release.
I'm well aware of all the disclaimers but my point still stands. We're talking about established middleware - CryEngine 3 - and a release consisting of a single room. If ladders aren't functioning properly then they shouldn't have been included.

The reality is that they can put out as many disclaimers as they want but their work is inevitably going to be judged by it. As I said, I'm still very much looking forward to this game (that much is obvious as I've paid to support it) - my point is just that this was rushed out and there wasn't any need for it to be. There is nothing unreasonable about pointing out the issues I encountered.

News Comments > Star Citizen Hangar Module Released
31. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Module Released Aug 30, 2013, 14:46 theyarecomingforyou

As much as I'm looking forward to this game I think they rushed this module out. Approaching the ladder caused all the keyboard controls to go funky and when I eventually climbed the second ladder I started floating around and could move through walls. That and performance is terrible.

Still, at least it proves that work is actually being done on the game and it's not all fancy videos.

News Comments > Tropico 5 Announced
6. Re: Tropico 5 Announced Aug 15, 2013, 10:14 theyarecomingforyou

MattyC wrote on Aug 15, 2013, 09:47:
Sounds like this offers more than 4. 4 really looked like an extremely minor set of changes from 3.
The changes weren't radical but were substantial enough to warrant a sequel. In fact I found myself playing Tropico 4 a lot more than the previous version - it was much better rounded.

I'm looking forward to Tropico 5. I've always been a fan of God-games and refuse to buy Sim City because of EA's anti-consumer policies, so there isn't really a huge amount in the way of competition. This is definitely a developer worth supporting.

News Comments > Xbox One Controller for PCs in 2014
4. Re: Xbox One Controller for PCs in 2014 Aug 12, 2013, 21:30 theyarecomingforyou

I just hope they release the wireless X1 controller promptly, as one of my wireless X360 controllers has a failed D-pad and I'd like to upgrade as soon as is practical. As for this announcement, it's a lot of bullshit but at least it is confirmed that the X1 controller will be available for PC.  

News Comments > Left 4 Dead 3 and Source 2 Clues?
39. Re: Left 4 Dead 3 and Source 3 Clues? Aug 6, 2013, 23:35 theyarecomingforyou

jacobvandy wrote on Aug 6, 2013, 21:25:
If you're hired by Valve, you ARE Valve, and people within Valve work on whatever they damn well please, so it makes no difference.
There's quite a difference between being a Valve employee starting a new gaming project from scratch and being part of an outside developer that is bought up by Valve. You don't immediately acquire the culture of another company when the ownership changes, it takes time. It's fair to say that Valve does very little from its core staff, relying mostly on acquired IP and projects. That's not to say they aren't very good, as there is certainly a skill to knowing the right projects to take on, but it's different to Valve creating games of its own.

Which brings us to the main issue, which is that Valve simply doesn't release many projects of its own. Valve was famous for its Half-Life series yet that is now nowhere to be seen, which is disappointing given its impact upon the gaming industry.

6008 Comments. 301 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo