Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonas Taylor

Real Name Jonas Taylor   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname theyarecomingforyou
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 8, 2005, 11:25
Total Comments 5980 (Guru)
User ID 22891

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Titanfall Behind-the-Scenes Trailer
2. Re: Titanfall Behind-the-Scenes Trailer Jun 21, 2013, 03:10 theyarecomingforyou

It looks like Tribes 2 for the modern generation. That's enough to get me interested.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed Jun 18, 2013, 13:24 theyarecomingforyou

@ASeven - I don't see why you like that reply, as it completely misses the point. NPD's software report is dependent upon only the physical sales in the US. That means not only does it ignore Europe (which surpassed the US in video game sales more than five years ago) but also digital distribution, which makes up a significant portion of the market (if not the majority). As for the hardware numbers, of course they'll be reported as they're still accurate (at least a lot more so than the software numbers).

Software sales haven't declined by 44% since 2000 and the fact that NPD suggests that's the case demonstrates how hopelessly inaccurate it is.

News Comments > NASCAR The Game 2013 Announced
10. Re: NASCAR The Game 2013 Announced Jun 13, 2013, 02:21 theyarecomingforyou

For what it's worth I really enjoyed the old NASCAR games back in the day, despite the fact I'm a Brit and have zero interest in the sport itself. However, modern racer franchises like F1, DiRT and GRID have redefined the genre and the videos on the website for this look terrible - it's clearly a budget game. It's a shame, as with a AAA budget and a decent developer I'm sure they could make an awesome game.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $10MM in Funding
33. Re: Star Citizen Passes $10MM in Funding Jun 12, 2013, 12:56 theyarecomingforyou

I've funded several games through KS but this has to be the one I'm most looking forward to. There has been a huge number of progress updates and it's by far the most professional looking, as well as being a genre close to my heart. Starlancer was one of my favourite space sim (up there with Tie Fighter) and this has the potential to surpass it. Another plus is the support for the Oculus Rift.

Of all the KS projects this has to be the most credible and the most ambitious.

News Comments > Mirror's Edge Reboot Announced
20. Re: Mirror's Edge Reboot Announced Jun 11, 2013, 03:20 theyarecomingforyou

The original was great but as long as EA keeps boycotting Steam I'll have to pass.  

News Comments > Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Delayed
4. Re: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Delayed Jun 6, 2013, 00:04 theyarecomingforyou

nin wrote on Jun 5, 2013, 23:44:
Oh my god...it would be utterly terrifying...
Amnesia was ridiculously scary. I'd probably have a heart attack if I played it with VR.

News Comments > Metro: Last Light Selling Well
14. Re: Metro: Last Light Selling Well Jun 3, 2013, 14:37 theyarecomingforyou

FU wrote on Jun 3, 2013, 13:26:
I will ignore that comparison in the interest of time.. And raise you the origmal STALKER. An 3D open world game which in my opinion trumps 2033 .You are Dropped in that unforgiving world with the brutallity of a toddler dropped in a firearms factory for playtime. Learn quick where not to go or die .. . No rails or leash to lead you, just common sense.
As much as I really enjoyed the STALKER franchise (particularly the first two games), you can't hold it up as an example of the direction the industry should take. The engine was poorly optimised and unstable; the interface was awful; the inventory system largely superfluous; the gameplay balancing was non-existent (random insta-death isn't a perk, nor is the save-scumming that was required as a result); the narrative was terrible and mostly delivered through dense paragraphs of text; the levels were large and empty, requiring lots of tedious walking to get from one point to another (there wasn't much to do so you were just walking from one mission marker to another); and the "sequels" were simply the original game rehashed.

There were moments of incredible atmosphere, especially in SoC - the sewers with the invisible monsters was probably the scariest I've encountered in an FPS (not counting Amnesia). And CS made great use of AI factions and the AI was occasionally very impressive (yet at other times it was fundamentally broken). You always had a sense of epic scale, yet it never broken out of its obvious "indie" status - it was not for a mainstream audience, as it didn't have the production values. The STALKER games had a lot of potential but it was never realised.

For me Metro 2033 was better than STALKER overall, despite its linearity and breaks from immersion. It had a better engine, was better optimised, had a stronger narrative, had better gunplay, etc. And Metro: Last Light is a an improvement in every way and I consider it hands-down better than the STALKER franchise, despite them obviously being very different games. That said, I really hope STALKER 2 sees the light of day - the franchise has so much potential.

News Comments > Metro: Last Light Selling Well
12. Re: Metro: Last Light Selling Well Jun 3, 2013, 13:04 theyarecomingforyou

I'm glad it's selling well, as it's an excellent game. It's better than the original in every way. Definitely one of the best games of the past year.  

News Comments > Xbox One Announced
74. Re: Xbox One Announced May 21, 2013, 17:49 theyarecomingforyou

DangerDog wrote on May 21, 2013, 17:41:
no more playing console games that are sold before their "release date".
I imagine that was a major motivator in moving to an online activation system, along with diminishing the impact of used games. Hopefully that and the required installs will help increase the use of digital distribution, as it makes physical media far less desirable.

News Comments > Metro: Last Light HUD "Fix" Inbound
67. Re: Metro: Last Light HUD May 18, 2013, 17:59 theyarecomingforyou

I'm not sensitive to FOV in games, so I don't have a problem with it. That said, I do think that all developers should implement it as standard - that's especially true for a game like this, where there has obviously been a lot of effort put into the PC version.

I'm loving the game so far. It's better than the original in pretty much every way - performance, narrative, gameplay, level design, etc. Very glad I bought it.

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Oculus Rift Support
22. Re: Half-Life 2 Oculus Rift Support May 12, 2013, 07:40 theyarecomingforyou

The solution I see is for controls is to make mouse movement relative to the view (i.e. it moves where you aim, not where you face) and make the keyboard turn your view (left/right turn you rather than strafing; they could be modified to strafe with Shift). I'd be surprised if it's competitive for multiplayer, so it would really be best suited to singleplayer games.

As for the resolution, 1080p is a decent starting place. No doubt it will improve through subsequent revisions but if it goes too much higher then a lot of systems will struggle to run it and I imagine the OR will suffer heavily if the framerate is not up to snuff. It would be nice if they focused on upping the refresh rate, as 120Hz would be ideal and they could use OLED rather than TN to get around the viewing angle and colour reproduction issues (the former being less of an issue due to the fixed nature of the headset).

News Comments > Diablo III Auction House Foul-up
4. Re: Diablo III Auction House Foul-up May 8, 2013, 09:32 theyarecomingforyou

nin wrote on May 8, 2013, 09:30:
Did you try Torchlight 2? I finally started playing it in the last month, and it's pretty much exactly what I hoped D3 would have been...
I loved both games for different reasons. Personally I found D3 to be the more compelling game and have the better community but I really enjoyed T2.

News Comments > EA Dropping Licensed Firearms
7. Re: EA Dropping Licensed Firearms May 7, 2013, 20:55 theyarecomingforyou

It was disgusting that EA was funding the gun industry anyway.  

News Comments > EA's Exclusive Star Wars Game Rights
11. Re: EA's Exclusive Star Wars Game Rights May 6, 2013, 17:12 theyarecomingforyou

As long as EA continues its boycott of Steam I won't be buying any of these games. Not that it matters, as they'll all be micro-transaction based ultra-casual games targeted at children.  

News Comments > XCOM Now The Bureau: XCOM Declassified, a TPS Due in August
34. Re: XCOM Now The Bureau: XCOM Declassified, a TPS Due in August Apr 26, 2013, 20:45 theyarecomingforyou

What I don't understand is why people were MORE interested in this as a first-person shooter. We already have plenty enough quality FPS games and it's pretty hard for games to distinguish themselves nowadays. Personally I'm more interested in it as a third-person shooter. If they can get a Mafia II style vibe with an alien twist then that sounds good to me.

That said, I really want to see some gameplay walkthroughs before I even consider this. I loved XCOM:EU but despite the decent trailer I haven't seen anything to warrant any confidence in it. Bioshock 2 was a pretty weak game and this title has already been significantly delayed. It would be nice if this were a decent game.

News Comments > XCOM Shooter "Fresh Look" Reveal in "Days"
33. Re: XCOM Shooter Apr 24, 2013, 15:09 theyarecomingforyou

Beamer wrote on Apr 24, 2013, 14:20:
Sometimes it won't figure out which level I want my guy on and, if I'm going quickly, he'll run up stairs or down a wall and end up in the worst place.
Yeah. One of the spaceship levels was particularly bad for that, as it was really difficult to select the right tile (it kept getting confused by the different levels).

Beamer wrote on Apr 24, 2013, 14:20:
Towards the end I just get bored. I know there's 1 more cluster of enemies around. Keeping your guys in formation on the off chance they're right ahead gets dull. Sometimes you just want to dash to them. It, no lie, can save 10+ minutes
Yeah, I can understand that. Most of the time moving large distances is fine, yet it's obviously annoying if the one time it's not is right at the end of the level.

Beamer wrote on Apr 24, 2013, 14:23:
I'm surprised people like the new base mode, honestly.

Building is more annoyance than fun
Menu systems are long and annoying
For some reason you have all the rooms linked up top, except the one you use most
Your stupid scientist and engineer talk to you nonstop. Shut up! Jesus, it's worst in the field when they keep taking control of your camera and telling you crap you learned the first time through
It had its annoyances but overall I thought the system was great, as it gave meaning to the individual missions. For me it was one of the main selling points.

News Comments > XCOM Shooter "Fresh Look" Reveal in "Days"
27. Re: XCOM Shooter Apr 24, 2013, 14:13 theyarecomingforyou

XCOM:EU was great. The enemy spawning was certainly an annoyance but not a major issue in the grand scheme of things. Personally I think the decision to allow saving in-mission was a mistake, as it makes it too easy to save-scum - it devalued the strategy map and the consequences for failure.

As for this game, at least they seem to have recognised the game was on the wrong track and hopefully the new direction will be an improvement. We'll see.

News Comments > Metro: Last Light PC Specifications
13. Re: Metro: Last Light PC Specifications Apr 19, 2013, 07:01 theyarecomingforyou

Hmmmm... I have an overclocked GTX680 SLI setup but I have a feeling performance won't be great at my native 2560x1600.  

News Comments > Skyrim Development Ends; Bethesda on to "Next Adventure"
3. Re: Skyrim Development Ends; Bethesda on to Apr 15, 2013, 11:42 theyarecomingforyou

You certainly can't fault Bethesda for the support given to Skyrim. While it may have been very weak for an RPG it was an exceptional game and I look forward to what's coming next.  

News Comments > AMD Says No More DirectX?
23. Re: AMD Says No More DirectX? Apr 13, 2013, 11:07 theyarecomingforyou

Spektr wrote on Apr 13, 2013, 07:33:
Well no point in making a directx12 if directx11 isnt utilized yet. Consoles will most certainly use 11 so that means it's going to be around for 10 more years at least. MS might want to focus on developing products they can actually sell.
The problem is we'll end up stuck with outdated tech, just like we did with DX9. It was around for four years before DX10 came along and because Microsoft tied it to Vista it was still preferable for developers to target DX9. DX11 was a much more worthwhile improvement - tessellation, DirectCompute and 3D-support. More developers are targeting it now that it's been on the market for three years, yet there's no sign of a successor.

Without DirectX to guide graphics vendors we risk the vendor-exclusive fragmentation of old. It also makes it more difficult for nVidia and AMD to shift new cards, as there's only so many times you can print "faster" on the box without big features to sell it. The sooner DX12 is developed and released the sooner games can start to take advantage of it. Sure not all developers support DX11 as it is but there's a lot more pressure on them to.

Unfortunately Microsoft's obsession with consoles is yet again holding back PC gaming.

5980 Comments. 299 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo