Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonas Taylor

Real Name Jonas Taylor   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname theyarecomingforyou
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 8, 2005, 11:25
Total Comments 5910 (Guru)
User ID 22891

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Watch_Dogs Trailer, Website
25. Re: Watch_Dogs Trailer, Website Feb 25, 2013, 21:33 theyarecomingforyou

PHJF wrote on Feb 25, 2013, 12:59:
And I sincerely hope this isn't the case because I am not paying a dime for anything on an upcoming console that isn't 1080p. If they have to lock at 30FPS, fine.
I imagine it will be similar to the current gen, in that to get 60fps they'll have to scale down the resolution (maybe as low as 720p) but most games will manage 1080p at 30fps. Either way the next-gen consoles aren't going to be close to what is possible on the PC and in a few years even budget PC gaming will be considerably ahead.

High DPI displays are just around the corner (they're already here for tablets/laptops but they're not mainstream or optimised for gaming) and it won't be long before 4K / Ultra-HD is the standard; hopefully we'll also see refresh rates increase, as 60Hz is too low and TN-panels are an unacceptable tradeoff.

I'll be sticking to PC gaming.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines Postmortem
38. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Postmortem Feb 25, 2013, 21:21 theyarecomingforyou

Based on the visuals of the E3 demo there's no way it was too demanding for the average PC, unless the engine itself was very poorly coded. I mean, games like Far Cry 3 and Crysis 3 managed just fine with scalability and they actually looked decent. The reality is the entire development cycle was a clusterfuck and the PR was WAY over the top considering the quality of the game.

Also, the idea that older PCs would have struggled but consoles weren't an issue is simply ludicrous.

News Comments > Watch_Dogs Trailer, Website
6. Re: Watch_Dogs Trailer, Website Feb 25, 2013, 10:12 theyarecomingforyou

Isn't it time that developers stopped putting out hugely compressed, sub-1080p videos? I literally can't tell the difference between videos showing off the PS4 and videos showing off current-gen games, when there's obviously a noticeable difference from just the resolution alone.

The game looks great though.

News Comments > Tomb Raider PC Details; Specs
15. Re: Tomb Raider PC Details; Specs Feb 23, 2013, 08:34 theyarecomingforyou

mlw wrote on Feb 22, 2013, 19:19:
I have this on pre-order, but, need to check on the 'save' feature. If it uses checkpoints, I will cancel. I hate that with a passion.
Yeah, game's are more difficult when you can't save-scum.

News Comments > Ubisoft Courting PC Gamers
48. Re: Ubisoft Courting PC Gamers Feb 23, 2013, 06:53 theyarecomingforyou

Julio wrote on Feb 22, 2013, 19:30:
Ubi should drop the PC as a platform
Fuck you. If you don't like Ubisoft games then don't buy them but leave the rest of us that do out of it. Ubisoft has backed away from limited-activations and always-on requirements because of pressure from PC gamers and FC3's UPlay implementation, while unnecessary, was pretty innocuous. If anything PC gamers should support Ubisoft for responding to the community. Currently I refuse to buy EA games due to its anti-consumer practices - like I used to do with Ubisoft - but if EA were to reform its ways then I'd change my position.

24. Re: Ubisoft Courting PC Gamers Feb 22, 2013, 14:07 theyarecomingforyou

Fletch wrote on Feb 22, 2013, 13:34:
Not interested. Ubisoft has been given a lifetime ban from my PC (and I don't do consoles).
You say that as if you don't pirate all your games anyway.

15. Re: Ubisoft Courting PC Gamers Feb 22, 2013, 12:04 theyarecomingforyou

Verno wrote on Feb 22, 2013, 09:17:
While not perfect, Far Cry 3 and AC3 were pretty good PC ports. I don't love Uplay but its fairly innocuous and at least works with Steam in a roundabout way. I'm glad they backed down on their weird DRM strategy, they make a lot of interesting games and I didn't want to miss out on a bunch.
This.

Ubisoft is better than a lot of publishers when it comes to PC, especially now that it has backed down from its DRM policy.

News Comments > Tomb Raider PC Details; Specs
5. Re: Tomb Raider PC Details; Specs Feb 22, 2013, 12:00 theyarecomingforyou

Already preordered. Looking forward to it.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Crysis 3; Review Roundup
32. Re: Ships Ahoy - Crysis 3; Review Roundup Feb 20, 2013, 15:49 theyarecomingforyou

Ratty wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 15:01:
All the hate for the aliens and mutants in Crytek games. If I wanted to play a version without the monsters I might as well play Battlefield or CoD. I just have no desire to play a realistic shooter. I liked the aliens and monsters.
It's not that people don't like aliens or mutants, as Half-Life and Bioshock perfectly illustrate the contrary; the issue is that the aliens in the original Crysis were handled appallingly, like pretty much every element of the narrative.

Games don't have to feature monsters in order to not be Battlefield or Call Of Duty. In fact that's why people were so annoyed by Far Cry's ending, as up until that point it was a perfectly good conventional shooter. Far Cry 2 and 3 featured mature plots and were alien/mutant free, which was really refreshing for the genre. Going further I'd like to see games move away from combat, like Mirror's Edge, Amnesia and Dear Esther did to great effect.

28. Re: Ships Ahoy - Crysis 3; Review Roundup Feb 20, 2013, 11:24 theyarecomingforyou

AngelicPenguin wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 10:49:
I agree with SirKnight - I thought Crysis was quite a bit better than Crysis 2, but I enjoyed them both. Too many narrow hallways in 2 (or should I say alleyways conveniently filled with crushed debris.)
The problem with Crysis is that it was a sandbox shooter with minimal narrative, only the gameplay wasn't particularly fun. Crysis 2 was certainly more linear but it had much better atmosphere, more memorable characters and better voice acting. Crysis 3 looks similar to Crysis 2 but a bit more open, which is fine by me.

I don't see being linear as a problem if the game is enjoyable - just look at Half-Life, Metro 2033, Bioshock. For me the atmosphere / setting of a game is very important and Crysis absolutely blew in that department.

PS - For what it's worth I thought Warhead was pretty decent, as it had much better pacing.

26. Re: Ships Ahoy - Crysis 3; Review Roundup Feb 20, 2013, 10:49 theyarecomingforyou

Verno wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 09:48:
They aren't a terribly interesting enemy to fight, the human AI is way better for the most part. The storyline surrounding them is college level film stuff. The games tend to devolve around the alien segments IMHO. Also they are in every game and Crytek feels the need to keep the silly Prophet storyline going when they could be doing new things.
This.

The most complained about element of Far Cry was the mutants at the end and yet Crytek did the same thing with Crysis, just replacing them with aliens. Not only that but it was all incredibly clichéd - from the nanosuit soldiers, to the generic Korean enemies, to the aliens. Too much emphasis was placed on the technology and barely any effort was put into the experience.

20. Re: Ships Ahoy - Crysis 3; Review Roundup Feb 20, 2013, 09:02 theyarecomingforyou

SirKnight wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 23:28:
Crysis 2 for me was just a graphical showcase. The gameplay was pure crap. Crysis 1 (before the aliens) was quite good.
You got that backwards. Crysis was nothing more than a technical demo. Crysis 2 added a Holywood-style narrative and refined the gameplay, especially the nanosuit; while it certainly wasn't amazing it had very good atmosphere - the music was particularly noteworthy (pun intended). I really didn't like Crysis, especially not after Far Cry, but Crysis 2 was decent in an over-the-top action movie sort of way - it wasn't anything special but it was a decent game.

The reviews seem to suggest the same is true of Crysis 3, which is fine by me. Sure it's disappointing that they haven't evolved the series like Ubisoft has with Far Cry 2 and 3 but what it does it does well (at least based on my experience with the multiplayer beta). It's a shame I won't be getting it, as it appears it won't be released on Steam.

News Comments > Destiny PC Clue
17. Re: Destiny PC Clue Feb 19, 2013, 16:28 theyarecomingforyou

gravity wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 16:07:
Wii-U would support it (doubtful - they're talking Next-Gen stuff)
If the X360 and PS3 are supported then there's no reason not to do a Wii U port, especially given how similar the architecture is to the X360. That said, the other entries look suspicious and given that Wii U and PC versions weren't announced it's either a very moronic omission or it speaks to how important they consider those platforms.

News Comments > Far Cry 3 New Feature Plans
12. Re: Far Cry 3 New Feature Plans Feb 19, 2013, 07:34 theyarecomingforyou

Acleacius wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 04:39:
One thing I don't understand and it annoys the hell out of me. How can a game developer get universally maligned over a design decision in their last game and instead of learning from it, DO IT AGAIN? The most common criticism I've read about FC2 was the constant spawning/respawning, stealing the sense of accomplishment and believability.
What the hell are you talking about? They completely redesigned the system and implemented properly. It's similar to what was attempted with STALKER: Clear Sky, only done right. It was actually one of the most compelling features of the game.

The whole point of the bases was that they were challenging and if you don't take them out quickly or at least disable the alarms then they become incredibly difficult to take down - that's by design. It's not their fault if you're shit at the game.

News Comments > New WHQL-certified GeForce Drivers
10. Re: New WHQL-certified GeForce Drivers Feb 18, 2013, 22:15 theyarecomingforyou

For what it's worth I update to every beta release and even though I have an SLI setup it's always rock-solid. There's the occasional issue with missing SLI profiles but I don't recall having an issue with the drivers themselves.  

News Comments > Far Cry 3 New Feature Plans
4. Re: Far Cry 3 New Feature Plans Feb 18, 2013, 22:10 theyarecomingforyou

It's good to see that FC3 sold better than expected, as it certainly deserved it. Excellent game. I hope it gets a proper expansion or substantial DLC while we await the inevitable sequel. As for the patches, it's nice that new features are still being added.  

News Comments > Destiny Announced for Consoles
26. Re: Destiny Announced for Consoles Feb 17, 2013, 21:31 theyarecomingforyou

Beamer wrote on Feb 17, 2013, 21:04:
But to say that they are idiots for making another Haloesque game is asinine. This is their wheelhouse. This is what they do best. This is what they love doing. This makes them millions upon millions of dollars (no speculation needed.)
No, their idiots for making it for current-gen consoles and not releasing it on PC. And there's nothing wrong with criticising a company for whoring itself out.

I don't blame Bungie for sticking to a similar style of game but I resent them for making the same shitty mistakes.

News Comments > Crysis 3 Preorders Soar
13. Re: Crysis 3 Preorders Soar Feb 16, 2013, 09:36 theyarecomingforyou

Optional Nickname! wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 23:46:
I leave the inferences and implications to your capabilities, Gentle Reader.
EA's boycott of Steam is "actively working against my interests"; releasing it on Steam is not. And if Crysis 3 does get released on Steam then me buying it would send a message to EA that they can't ignore the platform. My point was perfectly clear.

News Comments > Crysis 3 Preorders Soar
6. Re: Crysis 3 Preorders Soar Feb 15, 2013, 23:24 theyarecomingforyou

If it's released on Steam then I'll definitely grab it, as the multiplayer beta was really pretty decent and I enjoyed Crysis 2. I'm fine with Origin but I like to buy all my games on Steam for the community features (taking and sharing screenshots, tracking your in-game time, etc).

If not then I'll pass on it. I passed on BF3, ME3 and DS3 even though I was interested in them and I'll pass on SimCity as well. There's no point supporting a company that's actively working against my interests.

News Comments > BioShock Infinite Trailer
7. Re: BioShock Infinite Trailer Feb 15, 2013, 12:02 theyarecomingforyou

My concern is that the game is going to be too linear and restrictive, especially after playing games like Dishonored, Far Cry 3 and Deus Ex: Human Revolution. It certainly doesn't look as bad as ACM - which looked terrible in the preview videos - but I'll wait for reviews, more gameplay videos and user opinions before decided whether it's worth buying.

At least the PC version seems to be being taken seriously, as it includes high resolution textures, a FOV slider, anti-aliasing, ambient occlusion, etc.

5910 Comments. 296 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo