Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonas Taylor

Real Name Jonas Taylor   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname theyarecomingforyou
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 8, 2005, 11:25
Total Comments 6020 (Guru)
User ID 22891

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > NSA's Game Spying
6. Re: NSA's Game Spying Dec 9, 2013, 10:07 theyarecomingforyou

Fibrocyte wrote on Dec 9, 2013, 09:59:
FFS. Who CARES!?
I do.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen Hits $34 Million
18. Re: Star Citizen Hits $35 Million Dec 8, 2013, 18:57 theyarecomingforyou

Jackplug wrote on Dec 8, 2013, 18:24:
This is gonna be another Duke Nukem! Which will be A huge pile of shit.
Congratulations, you just failed the internet.

News Comments > Thief and The Witcher 3 Trailers
5. Re: Thief and The Witcher 3 Trailers Dec 8, 2013, 18:53 theyarecomingforyou

The Witcher 3 looks great. However, Thief looks terrible, especially after Dishonored set the bar so high. This looks like a B-project from a second rate studio, not the next major project from the developer of Deus Ex: Human Revolution.  

News Comments > Telltale Announces Tales from the Borderlands
8. Re: Telltale Announces Tales from the Borderlands Dec 8, 2013, 18:43 theyarecomingforyou

Primalchrome wrote on Dec 8, 2013, 17:56:
Just out of curiosity, why the Borderlands hate?
Most people are supportive of it, so I don't understand where you're coming from.

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Beta On Track; Last Chance for Add-ons
10. Re: Wasteland 2 Beta On Track; Last Chance for Add-ons Dec 6, 2013, 08:16 theyarecomingforyou

Riker wrote on Dec 5, 2013, 21:22:
Ooof, I was thinking that, as a vanilla backer, I would have access to the beta. It sounds like you have to pony up an extra $20 for the privilege, though.
Ditto, though given how pressed I am for motivation it's probably for the best. The only alpha/beta I'm interested in is Star Citizen.

News Comments > DICE Pauses All Future Projects for BF4 Repairs
12. Re: DICE Pauses All Future Projects for BF4 Repairs Dec 4, 2013, 20:50 theyarecomingforyou

jdreyer wrote on Dec 4, 2013, 20:32:
I would buy this if there were bot matches.
I would buy this if it was available on Steam and wasn't published by EA.

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000: Storm of Vengeance Announced
17. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Storm of Vengeance Announced Dec 2, 2013, 16:05 theyarecomingforyou

InBlack wrote on Dec 2, 2013, 11:00:
Yeah the balance is kind of out of whack in DOW. DOW2 sort of corrected this, but then people complained that it wasnt a proper RTS game. In any case superhero marines dont adapt well to multiplayer balancing
I much preferred DOW2, as it was more faithful to the franchise and a refreshing change from the stale RTS mechanics. I understand the criticism, it being a departure from the original game, but I care about decent games are DOW2 was certainly that.

News Comments > Steam Breaks 7M Concurrent Users
19. Re: Steam Breaks 7M Concurrent Users Dec 2, 2013, 15:55 theyarecomingforyou

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 2, 2013, 13:17:
You can't say PC Gaming is booming when 9 out of 10 pure PC-games come out as broken messes. I forgot to mention Legends of Pegasus ;p It's not just Publishers, Quality of releases went downhill overall.
It's unfair to look only at PC exclusives, as they tend to be rather niche - there is simply more money in multi-platform games. That's not to say there aren't quality exclusives though, as Civilization V, Diablo 3, Torchlight 2, Dota 2, Company Of Heroes 2, Starcraft II and Star Citizen demonstrate otherwise. Heck, even games like Portal 2 and XCOM: Enemy Unknown aren't PC exclusives yet I consider them PC games. What you have to look at is the quality of games overall and the likes of Far Cry 3, Metro: Last Light, Dishonored, Borderlands 2 and Bioshock Infinite are all superb games and without consoles they simply wouldn't have had the same level of investment and support.

Of course I'd love to see more PC-exclusive titles like Star Citizen that really work to the strengths of the platform and are based around what fans want but I very much enjoy gaming as much now as I did 15-20 years ago. The reality is that the influence of consoles is a fact of life but discerning PC gamers have forced developers to take the platform seriously, in large part because of Steam.

News Comments > Quoteworthy - NVIDIA: PC "Far Superior" to Next-Gen
32. Re: Quoteworthy - NVIDIA: PC Nov 30, 2013, 18:05 theyarecomingforyou

Julio wrote on Nov 30, 2013, 17:13:
Consoles are superior for sports and decent for racing games, so there's always a place for them with me.
It depends on your criteria. In terms of graphical fidelity the PC has a clear advantage, with higher resolutions (1600p, 4K, EyeFinity), 3D and better anti-aliasing and texture quality. In terms of controls and immersion the PC has a clear advantage, with better steering wheels, TrackIR, Oculus Rift (soon to be released), etc. In terms of performance the PC has the clear advantage, with 120Hz monitors and SSDs for better loading times.

The only area consoles have an advantage is the number of games available, particularly the exclusives. But that's just a case of Microsoft and Sony throwing money at developers rather than the PC not being a suitable environment for them - it's not like you can get Forza on PS3/PS4 or GT on X360/XB1 either. For me the graphical fidelity and framerate have always been important, which is why I'm not interested in console games running at 30fps or 720p (something common even with the 'next-gen' consoles).

The PC has excellent sports and racing games, like NBA 2K14, Football Manager 2014, F1 2013, GRID 2 and it has ports of many of the rest (FIFA 14, Pro Evolution Soccer 2014, etc).

I game on a 30" 2560x1600 monitor at 60fps, which simply isn't possible with the Xbox One or PlayStation 4. There is no dispute that PC gaming is superior to next-gen consoles. I also have a 42" HDTV connected and a X360 wireless controller should I want to just play casual games, which still offers a better experience than consoles - 4K won't be too many years away. The idea that nVidia is saying this because it missed out on the consoles is ridiculous.

News Comments > Quoteworthy - NVIDIA: PC "Far Superior" to Next-Gen
17. Re: Quoteworthy - NVIDIA: PC Nov 30, 2013, 12:48 theyarecomingforyou

InBlack wrote on Nov 30, 2013, 11:51:
I think Nvidia is shitting its pants at the moment. AMD landing a deal for Sony and Microsoft really hurt them I think.
Hardly. The console deals are low margin and nVidia still has the dominant market share on the desktop, where it is able to charge premium prices for its top-end cards. AMD still has a reputation for poor driver support and functionality wise the CCC is still lacking, with nothing to rival nVidia's GeForce Experience or ShadowPlay. It really needs to pull out all the stops to change people's perceptions and the introduction Mantle and TrueAudio looks like a decent start. But AMD needs to overhaul its drivers if it wants to convince people things have changed.

Personally I prefer nVidia's support, though I'd go back to AMD is they offered better value. The R9 290 cards are certainly impressive, though we need to see custom coolers from other manufacturers because of the heat and noise issues. CrossFire scaling has improved and the ability to use new cards without a connector is certainly a plus.

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000: Space Wolf Trailer
2. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Space Wolf Trailer Nov 30, 2013, 12:34 theyarecomingforyou

Lame. I was hoping this would be a sequel to W40K: Space Marine, which despite the sloppy PC port was actually a very enjoyable game with a decent narrative.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $33 Million
93. Re: Star Citizen Passes $33 Million Nov 29, 2013, 08:23 theyarecomingforyou

feral.fury wrote on Nov 29, 2013, 04:11:
What I'm trying to say is, if Chris Roberts screws this up, his career of making games is over. More so then if he was working for a publisher.
And if he gets it right he sets himself up for life and reignites a previously dead genre. Unlike Freelancer, which he ended up abandoning because of issues with Microsoft, he has complete creative control over SC and that really shows in everything we've seen so far.

I think the chance of SC ending his career is low.

87. Re: Star Citizen Passes $33 Million Nov 28, 2013, 19:15 theyarecomingforyou

Kosumo wrote on Nov 28, 2013, 16:38:
Really? So what is it that you think will be 'skill' in this game?

Is skill those who can walk around the hangar fastest? cos that's all you've had to play yet to see how their gameplay works.
The hangar module has absolutely nothing to do with this discussion and you know it. There have been numerous videos released, discussions on the forum and interviews regarding the gameplay, so we do have some idea as to how the gameplay works - obviously that doesn't compare to hands-on experience but we don't have access to that at the moment.

What happens if they don't make a very 'skilled' flight model and it's just pew pew in space. They can talk all they like about now it will play but until you (or anyone else) as played at lest an alpha build, you are backing it totally on hope and dreams at this point. (and their concept videos which show how they would like it to look in the end).
CR has an extensive background in the genre, responsible for excellent skill-based games like Wing Commander and Starlancer. He has gone on record as saying that SC is a skill-based game, which is all we have to go on at the moment. It's only reasonable to be sceptical of that given the exorbitant prices charged for some ships but CR does have a strong background in the genre and most of the interviews have only reinforced people's expectations.

Also those who are all "you don't make a AAA game in a year!", well I don't think this started as a AAA game (and doubt it is) and even then COD which is a AAA game
From the very first Kickstarter video I think it was very clear that SC was being built as a AAA game, making use of an advanced engine and with incredible detail going into the design. The presentation was better than most trailers from major developers. That was very impressive given the modest budget, which has now multiplied several times over. And yes, COD is a AAA franchise, despite my indifference to it, so read into that what you will.

84. Re: Star Citizen Passes $33 Million Nov 28, 2013, 15:00 theyarecomingforyou

Jackplug wrote on Nov 28, 2013, 14:48:
Too many ppl are gonna ave too many good ships with rare weapons/stuff that the balance of the game will be tipped too soon. Although I see a fail well before the game even gets released, cos it wont be as what they said it was and to those who've pledged so much it wont be enough..
I do think that is a legitimate criticism, though it's hard to know the impact until the game launches. My understanding is that the more powerful ships will have to be earned in game. However, people who put in more hours will have the same advantage over someone who can only put in 10-15hrs a week. The reality is that you will never have a completely balanced environment.

What I hope is that skilled players will be able to take advantage of less-skilled users with better ships and steal them / destroy them. Personally I get much more satisfaction from starting from scratch and working my way to the top than simply throwing money at the game. Hopefully we'll see clans of lower level players group together and target bigger ships, as we saw with EVE where a player lost a ship worth $8,000.

82. Re: Star Citizen Passes $33 Million Nov 28, 2013, 14:45 theyarecomingforyou

Quboid wrote on Nov 28, 2013, 12:57:
The kickstarter finished at $2m, 4x what they asked for - what panbient said. Anyway, panbient says the game will probably be delayed and in response, you imply that it might well be delayed ... so why's he talking shit?
Nonsense. First panbient stated that the game should have been delivered in a year when it was stated from the beginning that that wouldn't be the case, then they made the accusation that the development team is unfocused and even stated that responding to backers in the forums is bad for game development. So yes, I accused them of talking shit. They were.

The extra money is going to expanding the scale of the alpha, to orchestral scores, to designing new ships and galaxies, to implement FPS combat, to allow players to explore planets, to allow players to control businesses, to relocate the developers to a bigger studio, to implement facial recognition, etc. The money is not being used to bring forward the release date of the game, nor should it be - that doesn't provide value for money. The money should be used to improve the quality of the game, not get it released more quickly.

As I said, major developers miss targets all the time and you have to consider that this developer is being built from the ground up. Being delayed for a few months doesn't have any bearing on the quality of the game or the competence of the developer, not on a project of this scale. But they haven't even missed the deadline yet. To accuse them of incompetence for a deadline they haven't even missed yet is rather ridiculous.

76. Re: Star Citizen Passes $33 Million Nov 28, 2013, 12:38 theyarecomingforyou

panbient wrote on Nov 28, 2013, 11:10:
12 months after the initial funding was accomplished was last month. 12 months after they quadrupled what they asked for on kickstarter was last week. Where's the deliverable?

On track for next month? Hopefully.
Wrong. The Kickstarter finished mid-November. But let's be serious here, a game of this scale and this nature is likely to encounter delays. Half-Life, Half-Life 2, Far Cry 3, Bioshock Infinite, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Tomb Raider (2013) and Metro: Last Light all suffered substantial delays but were exceptional games nonetheless. A delay isn't any indication that this game doesn't exist or will be bad. If games from multi-billion dollar publishers are being delayed I think it's alright to cut some slack for a crowdfunded game.

I couldn't care less if the game is delayed if it ends up better as a result of it. Other crowdfunded games have faced a similar thing, like the Double Fine game and Wasteland 2. People just have unrealistic expectations. Basically you're talking shit for the sake of it.

69. Re: Star Citizen Passes $33 Million Nov 28, 2013, 10:45 theyarecomingforyou

panbient wrote on Nov 28, 2013, 09:17:
A year ago RSI started a pitch for what sounded like a small, focused, space game with great potential for expanding into absolute greatness. The community heard it too and supported them beyond their expectations. How is it the game they planned to make for $2 million can't be shown even as a beta when they've gotten well over 15 times more funding? And I don't mean some module either, I mean the original product they pitched last year, the one they said only needed $2 million to be made.
You can't build a AAA game in one year. More importantly, they stated that from the beginning. On the Kickstarter page it clearly states they were aiming for space combat to be available in 12 months (on track for next month) with the beta available in around 22-24 months (on track for late next year). They're delivering EXACTLY WHAT THEY PROMISED.

So fuck you and all the naysayers. For the same amount of money people pledged (or more if they decided to increase their pledge) they will be getting a better game, with higher production quality and better support. The game is taking the same amount of time promised, yet it will be substantially better as a result.

Was an orchestral score originally expected? Nope, yet we have one.
Was FPS combat originally expected? Nope, but we're getting it.
Was planetside combat originally expected? Nope, but we're getting it.
Was the hangar module originally expected? Nope, but we've got it.

52. Re: Star Citizen Passes $33 Million Nov 28, 2013, 05:25 theyarecomingforyou

InBlack wrote on Nov 28, 2013, 03:36:
How does that work? Who exactly gets to pick the major feature? The guy who donates the most? Is it a lottery kind of thing? Or is it going to be so damn awesome that it will feature whatever ayone who ever pitched in thinks off from the top of their head....

And People wonder why we are naysayers. Jesus Fucking H. Christ on a pogo stick, do any of you 'believers' even see the kind of BULLSHIT statements in these announcements????
If you don't know what you're talking about then STOP TALKING ABOUT IT. You could have saved yourself some embarrassment by simply visiting the website, rather than spewing out paranoid nonsense.

InBlack wrote on Nov 28, 2013, 03:36:
So the dogfighting module is coming next month? Really next month? Anyone want to lay some bets on that?
The Hangar Module managed to be released virtually on time (it was delayed by a week) and it has already been hacked to allow flying, so the gameplay mechanics have existed for a while. I don't see any problem with that target being hit but even AAA developers miss targets so everyone should be prepared for that possibility.

35. Re: Star Citizen Passes $33 Million Nov 27, 2013, 18:56 theyarecomingforyou

MyRealName wrote on Nov 27, 2013, 16:04:
Just to repeat what I said for the previous million, if they don't produce seamless planetfell and procedurally generated environments to explore -- in Crytek, ffs -- they they're just not trying and won't get my funding. I'll wait on Braben (who I'm watching/waiting on anyway) and/or indies.
That's like wanting your toaster to make coffee for you. Just buying a fucking coffee maker. Muhammad!

panbient wrote on Nov 27, 2013, 15:25:
No one is angry at the crowd funding success. But all they've truly done successfully so far is collect more than 15 times the amount of money they originally asked for... but still haven't really shown anything for it.
No game of this scale is made in a year. Not one. Zero. Zilch. Yet already we've had the Hanger Module and next month we'll have the dogfighting module, which are far from the completed project but are certainly evidence of substantial progress. The videos I've seen look like exactly the sort of game I'd want to play, hence why I funded it (only at the basic level).

DangerDog wrote on Nov 27, 2013, 17:22:
I keep thinking of how Wing Commander played and thinking that's what this will end up being more or less. It was all flash and not much substance, heavily scripted and played more like an interactive movie. My lack of faith lies with CryEngine 3, can it be used for an open galaxy space game?
I couldn't disagree more. Going with a pre-existing engine was the logical choice, especially a first-person engine given that FPS elements were always planned for. There would be no point building an engine from scratch and there simply aren't any existing space sim engines out there (X:Stillbirth being a great example of how NOT to launch a game). The only other suitable engine would have been UE3/4, which is hamstringed by consoles and doesn't take full advantage of PC hardware.

PS - Props to Parias for keeping his head while everyone else runs around like headless hippos.

News Comments > Star Citizen Picks Up Another Couple $ Million
60. Re: Star Citizen Picks Up Another Couple $ Million Nov 26, 2013, 18:07 theyarecomingforyou

ItBurn wrote on Nov 26, 2013, 17:20:
Sorry to burst your bubble, but Star Citizen is "everything" like Freelancer.

Squadron 42 sounds closer to what you want.
No, Freelancer was a crappy third-person casual space game with awkward cutscenes thrown in. SC goes back to the cockpit-centric style of Starlancer and Wing Commander, where you still have off-ship activities but flying is the core strength. S42 is definitely going to be interesting but I like the variety that SC is going to offer.

As I said, SC looks nothing like Freelancer.

6020 Comments. 301 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo