Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonas Taylor

Real Name Jonas Taylor   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname theyarecomingforyou
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 8, 2005, 11:25
Total Comments 5984 (Guru)
User ID 22891

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $33 Million
69. Re: Star Citizen Passes $33 Million Nov 28, 2013, 10:45 theyarecomingforyou

panbient wrote on Nov 28, 2013, 09:17:
A year ago RSI started a pitch for what sounded like a small, focused, space game with great potential for expanding into absolute greatness. The community heard it too and supported them beyond their expectations. How is it the game they planned to make for $2 million can't be shown even as a beta when they've gotten well over 15 times more funding? And I don't mean some module either, I mean the original product they pitched last year, the one they said only needed $2 million to be made.
You can't build a AAA game in one year. More importantly, they stated that from the beginning. On the Kickstarter page it clearly states they were aiming for space combat to be available in 12 months (on track for next month) with the beta available in around 22-24 months (on track for late next year). They're delivering EXACTLY WHAT THEY PROMISED.

So fuck you and all the naysayers. For the same amount of money people pledged (or more if they decided to increase their pledge) they will be getting a better game, with higher production quality and better support. The game is taking the same amount of time promised, yet it will be substantially better as a result.

Was an orchestral score originally expected? Nope, yet we have one.
Was FPS combat originally expected? Nope, but we're getting it.
Was planetside combat originally expected? Nope, but we're getting it.
Was the hangar module originally expected? Nope, but we've got it.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

52. Re: Star Citizen Passes $33 Million Nov 28, 2013, 05:25 theyarecomingforyou

InBlack wrote on Nov 28, 2013, 03:36:
How does that work? Who exactly gets to pick the major feature? The guy who donates the most? Is it a lottery kind of thing? Or is it going to be so damn awesome that it will feature whatever ayone who ever pitched in thinks off from the top of their head....

And People wonder why we are naysayers. Jesus Fucking H. Christ on a pogo stick, do any of you 'believers' even see the kind of BULLSHIT statements in these announcements????
If you don't know what you're talking about then STOP TALKING ABOUT IT. You could have saved yourself some embarrassment by simply visiting the website, rather than spewing out paranoid nonsense.

InBlack wrote on Nov 28, 2013, 03:36:
So the dogfighting module is coming next month? Really next month? Anyone want to lay some bets on that?
The Hangar Module managed to be released virtually on time (it was delayed by a week) and it has already been hacked to allow flying, so the gameplay mechanics have existed for a while. I don't see any problem with that target being hit but even AAA developers miss targets so everyone should be prepared for that possibility.

35. Re: Star Citizen Passes $33 Million Nov 27, 2013, 18:56 theyarecomingforyou

MyRealName wrote on Nov 27, 2013, 16:04:
Just to repeat what I said for the previous million, if they don't produce seamless planetfell and procedurally generated environments to explore -- in Crytek, ffs -- they they're just not trying and won't get my funding. I'll wait on Braben (who I'm watching/waiting on anyway) and/or indies.
That's like wanting your toaster to make coffee for you. Just buying a fucking coffee maker. Muhammad!

panbient wrote on Nov 27, 2013, 15:25:
No one is angry at the crowd funding success. But all they've truly done successfully so far is collect more than 15 times the amount of money they originally asked for... but still haven't really shown anything for it.
No game of this scale is made in a year. Not one. Zero. Zilch. Yet already we've had the Hanger Module and next month we'll have the dogfighting module, which are far from the completed project but are certainly evidence of substantial progress. The videos I've seen look like exactly the sort of game I'd want to play, hence why I funded it (only at the basic level).

DangerDog wrote on Nov 27, 2013, 17:22:
I keep thinking of how Wing Commander played and thinking that's what this will end up being more or less. It was all flash and not much substance, heavily scripted and played more like an interactive movie. My lack of faith lies with CryEngine 3, can it be used for an open galaxy space game?
I couldn't disagree more. Going with a pre-existing engine was the logical choice, especially a first-person engine given that FPS elements were always planned for. There would be no point building an engine from scratch and there simply aren't any existing space sim engines out there (X:Stillbirth being a great example of how NOT to launch a game). The only other suitable engine would have been UE3/4, which is hamstringed by consoles and doesn't take full advantage of PC hardware.

PS - Props to Parias for keeping his head while everyone else runs around like headless hippos.

News Comments > Star Citizen Picks Up Another Couple $ Million
60. Re: Star Citizen Picks Up Another Couple $ Million Nov 26, 2013, 18:07 theyarecomingforyou

ItBurn wrote on Nov 26, 2013, 17:20:
Sorry to burst your bubble, but Star Citizen is "everything" like Freelancer.

Squadron 42 sounds closer to what you want.
No, Freelancer was a crappy third-person casual space game with awkward cutscenes thrown in. SC goes back to the cockpit-centric style of Starlancer and Wing Commander, where you still have off-ship activities but flying is the core strength. S42 is definitely going to be interesting but I like the variety that SC is going to offer.

As I said, SC looks nothing like Freelancer.

57. Re: Star Citizen Picks Up Another Couple $ Million Nov 26, 2013, 17:16 theyarecomingforyou

Prez wrote on Nov 26, 2013, 16:26:
Chris Roberts has made one or two in his time ya know.
Exactly. Starlancer and the Wing Commander games (especially III, IV and Prophecy) defined the genre and given everything I've seen of SC it looks to be taking the right approach (i.e. nothing like Freelancer).

It's great to see a game like this receive so much support, especially given that the genre has been largely ignored by publishers. This game represents the best chance of reviving the genre, hence why it is the most successful crowdfunded game ever.

42. Re: Star Citizen Picks Up Another Couple $ Million Nov 26, 2013, 14:54 theyarecomingforyou

Jerykk wrote on Nov 26, 2013, 14:38:
I liked Freelancer. Also, publishers aren't touching space sims in general, letalone big budget ones. It's not specific to Chris Roberts.
I wasn't impressed with Freelancer. It failed to deliver on the scope and the controls were dumbed down in favour of mouse support. I much preferred the earlier Starlancer, which I regard as one of the best space sims of all time (along with Tie Fighter).

Still, SC looks great and I backed it via KS. It's also the game I see as being the best suited for the Oculus Rift, which I am seriously considering getting because of SC.

32. Re: Star Citizen Picks Up Another Couple $ Million Nov 26, 2013, 13:36 theyarecomingforyou

Simon Says wrote on Nov 26, 2013, 13:23:
Took a look at the pledges and contributions packages yesterday...

It goes up to 5000$, and they still have the balls to say it ain't P2W?

Bleh! This thing's gonna bomb so hard.
If someone wants to simply buy in at the top tier then they're free to do so but doing so deprives them of the fun and satisfaction of working for it. It really isn't much different from all the people who put in 60hrs+ a week when others are only able to put in 5-10hrs.

Also, you have to realise that this is what is paying for the game's development, which is very different to normal games. If people are willing to spend hundreds of dollars then they should get some recognition for that. Once the game launches then the lifetime insurance won't be available and if anyone fails to keep up with the in-game insurance payments then they lose what they purchased. And everything can be earned in-game.

If this were a retail game from a major publisher then I'd be annoyed at this but this is a genre that was for an intents and purposes dead, so I'm happy to see a game of this scope being developed. I'm also excited about the inevitable Tie Fighter mod that will be made by fans.

News Comments > FIFA Manager Series Cancelled
1. Re: FIFA Manager Series Cancelled Nov 25, 2013, 10:36 theyarecomingforyou

In other words, EA couldn't compete with Football Manager and rather that put the effort in to make a better game they decided to give up. Good riddance. They might as well do the same with the NBA Live series, after the astonishingly bad reviews.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M
49. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M Nov 24, 2013, 06:48 theyarecomingforyou

Jaxx wrote on Nov 24, 2013, 06:13:
Since the trademark is still owned by EA, he would NOT be able to use that name without buying it or paying A LOT of money to EA since they are some of the greediest bastards.
Firstly, there is no evidence that this fictional company in any way infringes upon EA's trademarks - it is called 'Origin Jumpworks' not simply 'Origin' and it is a non-trading entity (i.e. it's not a real business). Secondly, we have absolutely no idea of the licensing arrangements between private companies - it could be that even if there was a conflict that EA would waive any potential licensing fee in exchange for non-exclusive distribution rights on Origin.

Do you think that Chris Roberts would really pick a name that would deliberately infringes on EA just so he could have over large amounts of money to them? The game is early enough in development that he could simply rename it. Honestly, some of the people around here need to up their meds.

News Comments > RAGE Free Weekend
24. Re: RAGE Free Weekend Nov 22, 2013, 04:47 theyarecomingforyou

RAGE was a trainwreck.

Graphically it was a clusterfuck, with some decent scenes but others employing pathetically low quality sprites and items with one-tenth the polygon detail expected of a modern game - the texture quality was shockingly bad.

Gameplay wise the shooting side of things was well done but the AI was really weak, the level design obscenely linear (worse than COD), the story an insult and the driving sections were tedious. The ending was missing altogether and it was clear that there was originally going to be a boss fight but they decided to cut it. What's the point of giving you the BFG and then end the game before you have any enemies to use it against? The first time I completed the game I hadn't even fired a shot as I was saving my ammo for the boss.

Then there were all the technical issues, texture pop-in, performance issues, crashes, etc.

I didn't particularly rate Doom 3 but at least it was a competent game. RAGE was simply bad.

News Comments > Black Mesa Goes Commercial
36. Re: Black Mesa Goes Commercial Nov 20, 2013, 19:58 theyarecomingforyou

bigspender wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 18:23:
So the remake was pretty damn cool - but its been given away for free for like a year - what makes them think anyone is going to pay for it now?
Well, I intend to buy it and several other people have indicated the same. Don't forget that a lot of people won't even know about it or aren't comfortable installing mods, plus the team will be adding more features (like deathmatch). If Valve were to promote it on the frontpage then I'm sure it would get plenty of purchases.

16. Re: Black Mesa Goes Commercial Nov 20, 2013, 12:45 theyarecomingforyou

wtf_man wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 12:29:
Half-Life: Source with the Enhanced Mod (Then delete the modded music files) will get you a fairly modern graphics upgrade (compared to the original), and the complete EXACT game... not someone's "artistic interpretation".
I couldn't care less that it's an "artistic interpretation" when the result is as good as Black Mesa. It's incredibly faithful to the original and most of the changes are for the better.

The unfinished version is still better than any game in the COD or Crysis series, which is impressive given that we're talking about a group of amateurs.

5. Re: Black Mesa Goes Commercial Nov 20, 2013, 10:39 theyarecomingforyou

Cutter wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 10:21:
Thanks for nothing - literally - Valve.
Nothing? They're letting a mod team profit from their IP and giving them improved access to the Source engine. That's something that very few developers / publishers would ever do.

Personally I think this is great news. They deserve something for all of their hard work and hopefully this funding will allow them to continue with Xen and then move onto the Half-Life expansions. Black Mesa was excellent and I'm surprised that Valve hasn't brought them onboard to work on HL3. I'll be purchasing it to show my support.

News Comments > Roberts: "Star Citizen is a PC Game"
76. Re: Roberts: Nov 20, 2013, 06:05 theyarecomingforyou

The Half Elf wrote on Nov 19, 2013, 00:52:
Um Crysis came out AFTER Far Cry 2, and Far Cry 2 used a modifed Far Cry 1 engine and was NOT done by Crytek. Far Cry 2's only 'cool' thing was setting stuff on fire. Beyond the countless linear roads, I wouldn't put it up against Crysis 1 or 2.
Crysis was released in November 2007; Far Cry 2 was released in October 2008. FC2 was built on the Dunia engine, which was a heavily modified version of the Far Cry engine (they really didn't have much in common). And I never implied it was made by Crytek, in fact it's because it wasn't that it was actually a decent game.

As for the gameplay, you had complete flexibility in how you approached missions, the best vehicles that had been implemented in a FPS, a huge variety of weapons, a compelling health system, challenging AI (when on maximum difficulty) and one of the most unique settings in FPS history. It's strange how people dismiss FC2 yet rave about FC3 when they followed a very similar formula. It reminds me of the people who bashed Vista but raved about Win7.

News Comments > Half-Life Anniversary
33. Re: Half-Life Anniversary Nov 20, 2013, 05:48 theyarecomingforyou

Taskeen wrote on Nov 19, 2013, 22:19:
I'm saddened to this day there has not been any new Star Wars flight sims for PC - I played X-Wing, TIE Fighter, and X-Wing Alliance. I liked all of them, but TIE Fighter was my favorite
Ditto. It's a travesty that Lucasarts stopped supporting their space sims. And here's a bit of trivia - the X-Wing Alliance disc actually split in two while I was playing it (inside the optical drive) because of what I assume was a manufacturing defect. I was gutted.

As for Black Mesa, I think they deserve to release it as a pay version and I think it's brilliant that Valve is letting them do that. I can't think of any other developer that would tolerate that, let alone encourage it. Hopefully with a bit of resources behind them we'll see them continue on with the Half-Life expansions.

20. Re: Half-Life Anniversary Nov 19, 2013, 16:05 theyarecomingforyou

The Half Elf wrote on Nov 19, 2013, 14:18:
Rainbow Six, System Shock 2, Shogo, hell even Battlecruiser 3000ad was a fine product compared to the crap that gets shovel out these days.
I think that's nostalgia speaking, as while Shogo was fun it really wasn't all that.

10. Re: Half-Life Anniversary Nov 19, 2013, 13:00 theyarecomingforyou

Mad Max RW wrote on Nov 19, 2013, 12:25:
So did the rest of the Black Mesa mod come out yet? Any updates on that?
I haven't heard anything. Still, Black Mesa was worth the wait - it was better than most modern shooters and it was put together by a bunch of amateurs. It really is testament to how Valve nailed the formula first time around.

It's a shame that Valve barely develops any games these days, though what they've done with Steam has redefined PC gaming. I only just found out that Big Picture mode allows you to set an alternate display, meaning no more manually changing the primary monitor when playing on my HDTV - shame it doesn't also do sound like XBMC.

News Comments > Roberts: "Star Citizen is a PC Game"
40. Re: Roberts: Nov 18, 2013, 14:52 theyarecomingforyou

ItBurn wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 14:25:
What? These features don't, in any way, turn the game into a tech demo. Far cry 2 and 3 are tech demos? I had a LOT more fun with Crysis 1 than Crysis 2. Crysis 2 is a COD clone. Crysis 1 is the evolution of Farcry 1. The reason it's less fun is debatable, but I think it's because they tried to go the more serious route.
The problem with Crysis is that it had weak gameplay, a terrible narrative and was very poorly optimised. By the time people were able to play it at high settings there were games with much better gameplay, graphics and optimisation - Far Cry 2 being an obvious example. I can certainly understand why people refer to Crysis as a tech demo. Crysis 2 had a much better narrative, pace and optimisation - it was the better game, even if it went a bit too linear.

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Within Released
7. Re: XCOM: Enemy Within Released Nov 15, 2013, 05:11 theyarecomingforyou

Rhett wrote on Nov 15, 2013, 00:16:
Maybe he was just waiting for Europe. I think it was just released today for EU.
Yeah, it was only just released here.

Anyway, I still have a couple of hundred games on Steam that I really need to get around to play before picking this up... my motivation is not what it used to be. That said, this looks awesome so I'll probably pick it up around Christmas.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
9. Re: Op Ed Nov 13, 2013, 07:03 theyarecomingforyou

LibertyOrDeath wrote on Nov 11, 2013, 20:52:
I left google once they banned guns and ammo shopping
Yeah, I mean we can't have corporations behaving in an ethical manner based of the concerns of their customers. There are plenty of places in the US where you can buy guns and ammo - Google doesn't need to be one of them.

5984 Comments. 300 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo