Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonas Taylor

Real Name Jonas Taylor   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname theyarecomingforyou
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 8, 2005, 11:25
Total Comments 6020 (Guru)
User ID 22891

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Wolfenstein in May; Preorders Get Future DOOM Beta Access
28. Re: Wolfenstein in May; Preorders Get Future DOOM Beta Access Feb 19, 2014, 21:37 theyarecomingforyou

siapnar wrote on Feb 19, 2014, 15:52:
I really don't know how people rag on RAGE for having bad graphics. That game could look absolutely STUNNING at times.
It was a technical marvel in it's creative approach to texture painting.
It had no dynamics lighting, used 2D sprites for environment items, had extremely low polygon items and looked utterly shit if you got anywhere near any of the textures.

I've shown these before but here's proof:

Horrific texture compression
Extremely low resolution textures
Low polygon, low resolution objects
2D sprites
Inexcusable low resolution, low poly objects

The game could look half decent at times but overall it was a disaster. It was completely compromised because of consoles. I mean, we're not talking about minor criticisms here - the game looked like an abortion put in a blender.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Wolfenstein in May; Preorders Get Future DOOM Beta Access
18. Re: Wolfenstein in May; Preorders Get Future DOOM Beta Access Feb 19, 2014, 15:38 theyarecomingforyou

Nobody cares about Wolfenstein or DOOM anymore. id Software used to push the envelope technologically but RAGE was a disaster in every respect (gameplay, graphics, technology, etc).

Pre-ordering a shit game to get beta access to another shit game is not really my sort of thing.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 7, 2014, 10:10 theyarecomingforyou

InBlack wrote on Feb 7, 2014, 09:59:
Sort of like what happened with Diablo3 on the PC.
Except that Diablo III was a great game.

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $38M
39. Re: Star Citizen Schedule Feb 6, 2014, 12:41 theyarecomingforyou

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 6, 2014, 11:19:
I have a hard time believing that will happen.
Maybe they will surprise me but I don't think they are far enough in development to hit that target.
I think the delay for the dogfighting module is understandable given the huge expectations for the game. Rushing to hit the target would have delayed the final release and if it was poorly received it would have dried up any funding (not that any more is needed) - delays are understandable and every major crowdfunded game has seen delays. Heck, even a lot of AAA games are delayed (Half-Life, Half-Life 2, Far Cry 3, Bioshock Infinite, Metro: Last Light, etc)

The dogfighting module is basically how people will perceive the game - the persistent universe, content, FPS, economy and such all supplement the space combat. If it's not right then people will quickly lose interest. Fair or not, people expect more of the game now than when they backed the Kickstarter to hit the $500,000 target and that's a factor.

The way I see it, there are no decent space sims out there so I've got nothing to lose by backing this. It is one of my favourite genres and I'm happy to gamble on a title as promising as this. However, everything I've seen so far has been positive.

If people don't want to back it then don't - wait for the final game to be released, check out the reviews and decide whether you want it then. But clearly a lot of people have faith in this project.

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $38M
32. Re: Star Citizen Passes $38M Feb 6, 2014, 08:23 theyarecomingforyou

NKD wrote on Feb 6, 2014, 03:55:
No one on this site ever admits being wrong. Blue's regulars are Masters of mental gymnastics capable of twisting anything they've said in the past into being technically correct, the best kind of correct.
Bullshit. I thought RAGE and BRINK were going to be decent games... I was completely wrong. Now piss off back to your cave.

News Comments > Titanfall Beta Requires 64-Bit OS
36. Re: Titanfall Beta Requires 64-Bit OS Feb 5, 2014, 18:53 theyarecomingforyou

ViRGE wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 01:10:
At this point with all current-gen consoles using Blu-Rays (even the Wii!), we're the ones that are behind. If you buy games on physical media - and you may want to, because they're about to get really big - then it's time to upgrade to a Blu-Ray drive.
Who the hell uses optical drives anymore? I used to have a Blu-ray drive a few years back but never used it, so I removed it to add an extra hard-drive. Windows can be installed via USB drive (much faster); games and software I can download digitally; movies and music are all downloadable / streamable.

Consoles aren't ahead because they have Blu-ray drives - they're behind because they haven't transitioned to digital distribution. With digital distribution there is no limit to the size games can be, which isn't true of physical media. I HATE messing about with physical discs and am glad to see the back of it. I have 1.8TB of games installed with Steam, something which isn't possible on ANY 'next-gen' console.

News Comments > Gone Gold - Thief; New Trailer Released
84. Re: Gone Gold - Thief; New Trailer Released Feb 4, 2014, 18:53 theyarecomingforyou

The game looks really weak. Dishonored set the bar high and this just looks like a wannabe clone. I'm pretty surprised actually, as this is the studio behind DE:HR which was one of my favourite games.

You can see that this is definitely a last-gen game. Graphically there's no two ways about it - the game looks bad. And in terms of reboots it pales in comparison to the recent Tomb Raider and XCOM: Enemy Unknown (different genres sure but great examples of how a new direction can work).

I doubt I'll even pick this up on sale. This game just looks like it will annoy me and I love to play stealthy in games like Dishonored and DE:HR. I expect it to get trashed in the reviews.

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Mantle Update Released
33. Re: Battlefield 4 Mantle Update Released Jan 30, 2014, 13:05 theyarecomingforyou

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 30, 2014, 12:29:
These results are nowhere near the mind-blowing game-changer Mantle was hyped up to be. You're right in that the main reason high-end CF is seeing the largest boost is because they're finally able to get closer to twice the performance with twice the GPUs, thanks to these new optimizations. That's something NVIDIA was able to pull off with their architecture + drivers back when Fermi came out in the 400 series.
If the results mentioned earlier are representative of the performance gains, which remains to be seen, then they're completely in line with what I was expecting and will have a major impact upon the market. Suddenly an AMD card that was on par with an nVidia card is now considerably faster in supported games.

With that sort of performance I'd happily consider going back to AMD, especially now some of their longstanding issues have been addressed (multi-GPU frame spacing). However, I imagine the actually gains will be less impressive than those mentioned.

The game I'm most looking forward to is Star Citizen and it will include Mantle support, so that's a considerable influencing factor.

News Comments > Star Citizen Dogfighting Module Delay
48. Re: Star Citizen Dogfighting Module Delay Dec 17, 2013, 12:58 theyarecomingforyou

Stormsinger wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 12:25:
You can't make promises that it will release in December no matter what, then delay it because you decided to make it better. Well, you can, but you're still not keeping your promise.
The pledge to release the dogfighting module was made last year before the Kickstarter was a runaway success and it broke all crowdfunding records, leading to a change in the scale and scope of the game. Those following the YouTube channel have known for a while that the dogfighting module was facing a potential delay so as not to delay the final release of the game by forking the code. Don't forget that every other major Kickstarter game has faced delays (Wasteland 2, Double Fine, etc).

So fuck all the moaning. Go back to your caves.

News Comments > Oculus Rift Raises Another $75M
71. Re: Oculus Rift Raises Another $75M Dec 13, 2013, 21:36 theyarecomingforyou

120Hz just isn't going to happen any time soon, at least not if you're talking about resolutions in excess of 1080p. Some games would work fine but most multi-GPU setups wouldn't be able to pump out the framerates required at 1440p, let alone 4K. You either go for a high resolution and sacrifice the refresh rate or go for the refresh rate and sacrifice the resolution.

Even at 1440p a dual 290X setup can only manage 90fps in BF3, 70fps in Metro: Last Light and 70fps in Crysis 3. Given the overhead for processing the two-images (they are calculated from different perspectives) a 1440p display will likely struggle to hit 60fps in a lot of games.

Sadly I think 1080p@60Hz is all we can expect given current GPU limitations, otherwise the potential audience is just too small (and I say that as someone who games @1600p).

44. Re: Oculus Rift Raises Another $75M Dec 13, 2013, 13:52 theyarecomingforyou

Microsoft has lost money overall on the Xbox brand and we know that Sony made a loss on the PS3, so consoles are NOT the best business model to emulate. I'm perfectly happy paying a reasonable price for the Oculus Rift - heck, my current monitor cost me 700 / $1,140.

My biggest concern with the OR is the control system. For it to work with FPS games the aim will have to be independent of the motion tracking. At the moment they've demoed it with the controller being able to move the camera as well as the head tracking, which looks like a nightmare.

I really hope this catches on, as not only will it dramatically improve immersion but it will give PC gaming a much more obvious edge over consoles.

31. Re: Oculus Rift Raises Another $75M Dec 13, 2013, 12:26 theyarecomingforyou

The Oculus Rift won't be everybody, particularly those sensitive to motion sickness. Personally it's never been an issue for me but I know some people suffer in FPS games if the FOV is off. That's why I take some of the claims being made around here with a pinch of salt, as it strikes me as highly unlikely that it will affect most people so severely.

Most of the reports have been favourable, so I'm not worried. I can't wait to get my hands on one and try it out with Star Citizen.

14. Re: Oculus Rift Raises Another $75M Dec 13, 2013, 10:54 theyarecomingforyou

Shataan wrote on Dec 13, 2013, 10:45:
It is a MONEY issue. Same as it was back in the day. They wanted PROFIT, so they cheaped out on the displays resulting in pixelated mess. Now they are trying to find an acceptably high rez display..... for as cheap as possible.
What a retarded claim. No company sets out to make a loss. Economic realities will always be a factor in devices like this but the consumer device will be 1080p+, which is the minimum needed to balance cost with fidelity. They have stated that 4K will be supported in future models but the reality is that current GPUs simply can't support it adequately, not even with multi-GPU setups.

And cut it will the bullshit. Nobody has claimed the experience was a "pixelated mess" - in fact the response has been overwhelmingly positive, even at only 720p. That means that things can only improve.

11. Re: Oculus Rift Raises Another $75M Dec 13, 2013, 10:48 theyarecomingforyou

siapnar wrote on Dec 13, 2013, 10:28:
Think about being equipped with a VR headset and mock weapon, put in a warehouse with padded boxes/shapes that represent objects in the game level that you view in the headset. The warehouse is identically mapped out to that of the level you play, and your movement is tracked by a plethora of tracking cameras.
I doubt that'll ever happen as it simply wouldn't be practical. More likely is that games will start to use augmented reality to overlay game elements into real life, particularly through technology like Google Glass.

News Comments > Cliff Bleszinski's PC Shooter Plans
39. Re: Cliff Bleszinski's PC Shooter Plans Dec 12, 2013, 08:21 theyarecomingforyou

CliffyB has been so hostile to the PC gaming community that he'll have to do a lot to make up for that. That said, if he produces a decent games I'll buy it - I'm not that jaded. You never know, with the right people it could turn out right.  

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online in April
62. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 17:38 theyarecomingforyou

dumpy wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 16:50:
I trialled WoW briefly and I was not impressed - low level fetch quests are not interesting. I have never understood the game's popularity.
Ditto. I enjoyed Guild Wars but that's because it was more a traditional game that you could also plays co-op.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online in April
17. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 12:44 theyarecomingforyou

As much as I love TES I really have no interest in an MMO. Pass.  

News Comments > Legends of Persia Announced
4. Re: Legends of Persia Announced Dec 10, 2013, 20:48 theyarecomingforyou

Looks terrible.  

News Comments > GOG.com's Money Back Guarantee
32. Re: GOG.com's Money Back Guarantee Dec 9, 2013, 22:10 theyarecomingforyou

Optional Nickname! wrote on Dec 9, 2013, 19:10:
Gabe has and will ban you from your games if you post something he doesn't like in his forums.
Not true. The forums are separate to Steam accounts. Further, Valve no longer bans accounts but locks them instead, meaning that you can play the games you purchased but restrictions are applied (purchasing, gifting, trading, serial activation and Steam Community access are disabled).

However, that's not to say that there aren't issues with Valve's policies when it comes to Steam.

News Comments > GOG.com's Money Back Guarantee
8. Re: GOG.com's Money Back Guarantee Dec 9, 2013, 11:41 theyarecomingforyou

It really is time for Steam to introduce similar pro-consumer policies, as there is definitely significant room for improvement when it comes to buggy games, refunds and VAC permabans.

VAC bans are permanent and apply system-wide, even when accounts are hacked or you unknowingly download a mod containing malware. That means that 20 years down the line when you have 2,000 games on Steam you could have your account stolen, become flagged by VAC and when it is returned never be allowed to play on a VAC secure server for ANY game on that account. I completely support efforts to prevent and punish cheating but not when they can impact legitimate users, especially those resulting from security failings on the part of Valve.

Valve has done a great job with Steam but now that it is successful and widely used more needs to be done to protect consumers.

PS - It's about time that Valve gave the Steam client an overhaul. The visual style is rather dated and isn't well-suited for users with several hundred games.

6020 Comments. 301 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo