Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonas Taylor

Real Name Jonas Taylor   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname theyarecomingforyou
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 8, 2005, 11:25
Total Comments 6098 (Guru)
User ID 22891

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $47M
27. Re: Star Citizen Passes $47M Jun 24, 2014, 10:17 theyarecomingforyou

John wrote on Jun 24, 2014, 08:13:
It takes an additional $2 million to add a fancy plant to the game?
Obviously not. That money goes to hiring extra staff, developing new ships, supporting the PU (which will cost a lot to maintain), improving the quality of the existing content, etc.

The release of Arena Commander has demonstrated that the game is progressing extremely well and the information given to the community is unprecedented. I upgraded my Aurora to a Hornet due to how much fun I had with AC and when the multi-crew ships are available as chassis upgrades I'll likely upgrade again (hopefully to the Redeemer if it's not too expensive).

That said, I'd like to see the stretch goals completely reworked. Each $1m should be a trivial cosmetic item (as is currently the case), each $5m a new ship or planet and each $10m a new gameplay feature or singleplayer content. Backers should be given something to work towards, something substantial.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > GameStar: Crytek in Financial Trouble
41. Re: GameStar: Crytek in Financial Trouble Jun 23, 2014, 01:59 theyarecomingforyou

To put things in perspective, Valve has just over 300 employees and is infinitely more successful.  

News Comments > GameStar: Crytek in Financial Trouble
27. Re: GameStar: Crytek in Financial Trouble Jun 22, 2014, 18:52 theyarecomingforyou

The original Far Cry was excellent for the time, especially technologically. The acting was a bit weak and the ending was terrible but the open world gameplay redefined the genre. As for Crysis, it was a bad game - it was terribly optimised, the gameplay was weak, the narrative cliched and it just wasn't any fun.

For me it was Crysis 2 that was the best game in the series, as while it was more linear it was a lot more fun and the suit settings made a lot more sense. It had a decent Hollywood-style over-the-top narrative. Crysis 3 was decent but forgettable - it was completely outshone by Far Cry 3, which was more fun, better optimised and had a better story.

I don't want to see Crytek disappear, as I much prefer CryEngine to Unreal Engine, but the company needs to substantially restructure itself to remain relevant. I just hope this doesn't impact Star Citizen.

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale
51. Re: Steam Summer Sale Jun 19, 2014, 18:07 theyarecomingforyou

Do not buy Dead Rising 3. It is capped at 30fps on PC.  

News Comments > Deus Ex Universe Online Hint?
1. Re: Deus Ex Universe Online Hint? Jun 18, 2014, 10:07 theyarecomingforyou

That's fine as long as it's co-op and not competitive multiplayer (or worse, an MMO). However, I'm struggling to see how it would work well.  

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V for PC This Fall
87. Re: Grand Theft Auto V for PC This Fall Jun 17, 2014, 06:36 theyarecomingforyou

ForgedReality wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 14:44:
So when they re-release movies in a superior format, it should be half of the normal price for a movie?
Yes, or more specifically it should be released at the same price as the original release. Movie studios are fleecing people for something that costs them very little to produce.

News Comments > Star Citizen E3 Presentation; (Lack of) OS X Clarification
25. Re: Star Citizen E3 Presentation; (Lack of) OS X Clarification Jun 13, 2014, 15:12 theyarecomingforyou

Flo wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 13:39:
Can anyone tell me what you get when you shell out 60$ (?) for the final retail copy (in 2017 or so...).
I'm totally confused by all this insurance & online universe thing.
You'll get the base game, which includes Squadron 42 (the singleplayer portion of the game), Arena Commander (the simulator portion of the game) and Star Citizen (also known as the Persistent Universe). You won't get any ships but playing through S42 will earn you enough credits to buy a starter ship like the Aurora or Mustang. You'll be able to earn all ships in-game via normal play or steal them if you're a pirate.

As for insurance, it's pretty much a non-entity. Basically it works like real life - if you have insurance and you damage your ship you will get a replacement. It will cost a nominal amount, as will the landing fees for hangars. You'll easily be able to earn enough credits to buy insurance through playing the game normally. Further, if you're really worried you'll be able to buy a limited amount of credits with real money. LTI (lifetime insurance) was offered as a perk for early backers and was given more importance than was warranted.

Accusations have been made that the game effectively amounts to P2W but the reality is that there isn't one "best" ship. Some people will want to race from one point to another and avoid combat, so will opt for something like the M50; others will want to take on other ships in dogfighting, so will opt for the Hornet; some people will want to play cooperatively with others, so will opt for something like the Idris; others will want to transport cargo, so will opt for the Banu Merchantman; others will want to cruise around in their own luxury yacht, so will opt for the 890 Jump.

There is no one definitive ship. Plus it simply reflects real life - some people will be able to afford massive ships, others will be happy with something really basic. There is also the guild system, which allows people to join a group that offers protection and perks. Personally I don't think anything will beat the satisfaction of a group of players with basic ships teaming up to take down a capital ship, of earning the best ships through skill rather than through your bank account.

News Comments > Star Citizen E3 Presentation; (Lack of) OS X Clarification
20. Re: Star Citizen E3 Presentation; (Lack of) OS X Clarification Jun 13, 2014, 13:34 theyarecomingforyou

I'm loving Arena Commander at the moment. SLI is still borked but running the game in a window gets around that. In fact I've had such a great time playing it that I decided to take advantage of the cross-chassis upgrades to upgrade my Aurora to a Hornet, via the 300i (so I could play all three ships) - I'll probably upgrade to the Freelancer or Redeemer when multi-crew ships are added.

Obviously the game is far from polished and it will change substantially between now and launch but what they have at the moment is very impressive.

News Comments > PC FIFA 15 Using Next-Gen Engine
20. Re: PC FIFA 15 Using Next-Gen Engine Jun 7, 2014, 03:39 theyarecomingforyou

Cutter wrote on Jun 6, 2014, 15:32:
Not here it ain't. Wry
That's only because your culture has a history of appropriating aspects of other cultures it feels threatened by.

News Comments > PC FIFA 15 Using Next-Gen Engine
2. Re: PC FIFA 15 Using Next-Gen Engine Jun 6, 2014, 15:22 theyarecomingforyou

Cutter wrote on Jun 6, 2014, 15:11:
So are you soccer fans excited about the world cup?
It's called football and you know it.

News Comments > Star Citizen Arena Commander Released
115. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Released Jun 6, 2014, 05:42 theyarecomingforyou

dj LiTh wrote on Jun 5, 2014, 13:52:
CryEngine 3 was used for Crysis2, and wasnt that one of the big complaints, the small environments? Also even a big environment in a fps would be minuscule in a space setting.
Space is a big environment but there's relatively little in it, so it balances out. The ships are incredibly detailed but with the appropriate LODs and tessellation that's not an issue.

SC now uses CryEngine, not CryEngine 3 - it's the 4th generation of the engine. The engine is being completely repurposed, including the move to 64bit precision. There simply isn't any engine designed for what CR is trying to achieve but CE is a good starting point.

News Comments > Tropico 5 Sales Bask in the Sun
5. Re: Tropico 5 Sales Bask in the Sun Jun 5, 2014, 06:09 theyarecomingforyou

I loved Tropico 4, so I'll definitely be picking up Tropico 5. The idea of multiplayer/co-op is really appealing. However, I'll be waiting for the inevitable sale.  

News Comments > Dead Rising 3 Steam Plans?
5. Re: Dead Rising 3 Steam Plans? Jun 5, 2014, 06:07 theyarecomingforyou

Fantaz wrote on Jun 5, 2014, 04:19:
well i don't think any Xbox One exclusive game will stay exclusive for long...

though Xbox One has in my eyes redeemed itself now that it does not require Kinect. i might pick up an XB1 later when it goes <$299 and Halo 5 comes out.
The only reason to buy an XB1 is for the exclusives, like Halo. Otherwise it is outperformed by the PS4 in every respect, which in turn is outperformed by the PC. Personally buying an XB1 to play Halo on a controller is a no-go.

56. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Released Jun 4, 2014, 13:29 theyarecomingforyou

panbient wrote on Jun 4, 2014, 11:17:
What's up with those random looking polys around the edge of the UI (especially the stuff covering the Thrust Output)? The background planet looks really nice but I honestly can't tell if those shapes are supposed to be hull or wreckage.
The game glitches out. Basically after several minutes of playing the visuals get screwed up - textures go missing, random shapes start appearing, etc. That's after disabling SLI, as before that it's a flickering mess of ultra-bright colours.

When it works it's quite enjoyable and the visuals are decent but it's pretty terrible at the moment.

29. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Released Jun 4, 2014, 11:04 theyarecomingforyou

Looking good.

Screenshot 1 Screenshot 2 Screenshot 3

News Comments > Star Citizen at $44M
38. Re: Star Citizen at $44M May 24, 2014, 20:51 theyarecomingforyou

[VG]Reagle wrote on May 24, 2014, 20:30:
Roberts not only worked on freelancer but was in charge of it before he sold it off.
Chris Roberts left Digital Anvil is 2000. Freelancer was released in 2003.

Looking at your post history it's obvious you're a troll, so I honestly don't know why I'm even responding.

Jerykk wrote on May 24, 2014, 18:03:
A bit concerned at how little progress this game has made. Elite Dangerous has made significantly more progress with only a fraction of the budget.
You wouldn't be concerned if you followed the progress on YouTube (Wingman's Hangar, 10 For The Chairman, The Next Great Starship) or the forums. The scope of SC is unlike any game we've seen before and that takes time. We'll get to see the first results of that in less than a week with the release of Arena Commander (the Dogfighting Module).

Elite Dangerous has a fraction of the fidelity or complexity, so it should progress a lot more quickly.

News Comments > Star Wars: Attack Squadrons Revealed
56. Re: Star Wars: Attack Squadrons Revealed May 24, 2014, 17:41 theyarecomingforyou

This game looked like a trainwreck to begin with, so I'm not surprised it was cancelled. It looks like Disney is taking the Star Wars brand seriously and doesn't want its image tarnished by half-assed games like this.

It would be awesome to see LucasArts licence the Star Citizen engine and produce a high-fidelity Star Wars game, a spiritual successor to Tie Fighter. I have less than zero interest in a F2P casual game like this abortion.

News Comments > Star Citizen Arena Commander This Month
34. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander This Month May 18, 2014, 05:54 theyarecomingforyou

Sugarman wrote on May 18, 2014, 05:48:
I'm ticket # 36,000 something. Original backer from October 2012. No regrets here.
Ditto. I'm #10002.

News Comments > Star Citizen Arena Commander This Month
30. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander This Month May 18, 2014, 05:25 theyarecomingforyou

The Blue's News organisation is up to 9 members now. Hopefully that will rise significantly after launch, as I know most people are waiting for the final game before picking it up.

For anyone who hasn't been keeping up, CIG is planning to introduce ship upgrades that will let you keep LTI. That will be great for those with the basic Aurora looking to upgrade to say the 300i.

The results of The Next Great Starship aren't far away now - I'm rooting for Four Horsemen.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Alpha 4 Released; Premium Beta This Month
11. Re: Elite: Dangerous Alpha May 17, 2014, 08:10 theyarecomingforyou

El Pit wrote on May 17, 2014, 03:40:
Yeah, let's all be harsh on this game and the people behind it. How dare they make you pay for early access to alpha and beta?
Seriously, let's be harsh on it. Anyone who backed SC at the time got full alpha and beta access as well as the final game for just $35, less than the cost of a regular AAA game. You can still pick up the game and alpha access to the DFM for $35. Meanwhile ED costs $150, which is three times the cost of a normal finished game. So yeah, fuck them.

6098 Comments. 305 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo