Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonas Taylor

Real Name Jonas Taylor   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname theyarecomingforyou
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 8, 2005, 11:25
Total Comments 6091 (Guru)
User ID 22891

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Next DOOM Details Next Year
31. Re: Next DOOM Details Next Year Jul 20, 2014, 15:45 theyarecomingforyou

Beamer wrote on Jul 20, 2014, 14:24:
I didn't touch Quake 4.
Quake 4 was a solid, if unspectacular, shooter. Certainly it was better than Doom 3.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Next DOOM Details Next Year Jul 19, 2014, 18:54 theyarecomingforyou

CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 19, 2014, 18:52:
I'm sure they will. Quake 5 MOBA. Almost guaranteed to happen.
Hopefully after Doom tanks and id Software realises that it should licence a third-party engine.

15. Re: Next DOOM Details Next Year Jul 19, 2014, 16:55 theyarecomingforyou

Refusing to release the video to the general public really doesn't inspire a lot of confidence, nor does the talk of Mortal Kombat style finishing moves involving glowing body parts and QT events.

After RAGE I don't have any faith that id Software can make a decent engine, especially with Carmack gone. id Tech 5 was incapable of even basic dynamic lighting, which was best observed in the Doom 3 BFG and its lack of shadows (the defining feature of the game). The early concept art for the new Doom game was terrible and it seems like it would require a miracle for id Software to produce a decent graphics engine.

I'm calling it now - this game will be a trainwreck.

News Comments > New Crytek Rumor: Homefront Director Resigns?
18. Re: New Crytek Rumor: Homefront Director Resigns? Jul 13, 2014, 19:51 theyarecomingforyou

Wraith wrote on Jul 13, 2014, 17:08:
Licensing is irrelevant if they can't get the support they (clearly) need. I can see you have very little understanding of how software development works.
They already have people from Crytek working there to support the game, like Sean Tracy. Those people will just join the CIG team or continue to offer support from whatever company buys up the engine.

SLI is not a feature of the game, it's a feature of the engine. They've managed to screw up SLI on an engine which operates just fine on every other title. That takes a truly talented level of incompetence.
You're a twat. You know that, right? Wall They're making major changes to the engine, which causes features to break. The renderer is being overhauled (for instance they've added support for the Oculus Rift), the engine is being ported to double precision, support for Mantle is being built-in and DX12 will likely be supported, etc. SLI was working for the hangar module but was broken for Arena Commander - the team is aware of that and it is listed as one of the known issues.

Add in the fact that an FPS engine is a really poor choice for a space combat game and.... well those with a clue can see the writing on the wall.
Yeah, they should have licensed the engine from that other AAA space-sim... oh wait, there isn't one. Dickhead. Substantial parts of the game are based in first-person and the rest has to be built-up around it. Licensing CryEngine accelerated the development process but large parts of the engine will have be be built or rebuilt from scratch.

Wraith wrote on Jul 13, 2014, 17:10:
Braben's been in this game for decades and while I'm not a believer in "procedurally generated" magic, he does at least know how to put a space combat engine together.
Yeah, because Chris Roberts has no experience in space-sims. Knobcheese.

You clearly know nothing about game development. For a pre-alpha the game is in surprising good condition. Stop trolling and find something productive to do with your life.

News Comments > New Crytek Rumor: Homefront Director Resigns?
7. Re: New Crytek Rumor: Homefront Director Resigns? Jul 13, 2014, 15:42 theyarecomingforyou

Wraith wrote on Jul 13, 2014, 15:17:
And just for reference - guess what engine Star Citizen uses.
We know which engine it uses and this doesn't change anything. CIG has a licence to use the engine regardless of what happens to Crytek.

Wraith wrote on Jul 13, 2014, 15:17:
Currently they can't even get SLI working properly - with the demise of Crytek, Star Citizen is looking very fucking shaky indeed.
It's pre-alpha - most features are missing, you muppet. Star Citizen is looking as promising as ever and having played it I'm very happy with how it's shaping up.

News Comments > Rainbow Six Siege Interview
4. Re: Rainbow Six Siege Interview Jul 13, 2014, 05:10 theyarecomingforyou

Darks wrote on Jul 12, 2014, 19:14:
Boring! another fucked up title made into a pvp bullshit game.
To be fair, this is the best looking Rainbow Six game in quite a while. Personally I think it has potential.

News Comments > Rebellion "Could" Return to AvP Series
10. Re: Rebellion Jul 11, 2014, 06:14 theyarecomingforyou

Loved the original game; didn't care for the recent one. I'd rather another developer be given a shot at the franchise.  

News Comments > Alien Isolation for Oculus Rift Only a Prototype
16. Re: Alien Isolation for Oculus Rift Only a Prototype Jul 8, 2014, 14:41 theyarecomingforyou

I would have thought that OR support would be added to the game, rather than being developed into a separate product. Never did I think there was going to be a standalone OR version.

I wouldn't read anything into this at this point.

News Comments > Blizzard on Diablo III Multiboxing
8. Re: Blizzard on Diablo III Multiboxing Jul 8, 2014, 13:01 theyarecomingforyou

Multiboxing should be banned, plain and simple. It isn't a reasonable practice.  

News Comments > S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Survarium Designer Joins Areal
7. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Survivarium Designer Joins Areal Jul 8, 2014, 12:56 theyarecomingforyou

ASeven wrote on Jul 8, 2014, 10:55:
First comment on the Eurogamer article, which points out the obvious:

2 hours ago
It's interesting that they promote him as a big hire, when he's behind the project all along. Sytyanov finished his work on Survarium on September 25, 2013. And it was Sytyanov who started looking for programmers for the Areal project, back in March. And now he's the new and big hire?
Wow, that really is low. I said this project was a scam from the beginning.

News Comments > The Walking Dead Season 2 Episode 4 This Month
1. Re: The Walking Dead Season 2 Episode 4 This Month Jul 2, 2014, 09:30 theyarecomingforyou

I'm loving these games. I only discovered them recently, having picked up the first one in a sale a while back, but now I'm hooked. Having not watched the show I found it a great introduction into the universe.

Telltale has really got these choice games nailed. I picked up The Wolf Among Us in the recent sale and will definitely be grabbing Tales From The Borderlands when it's released. The company has come so far since the mediocre Sam & Max games.

News Comments > GSC Game World Retracts Areal Endorsement
10. Re: GSC Game World Retracts Areal Endorsement Jun 30, 2014, 14:29 theyarecomingforyou

It wouldn't surprise me if it ends up being removed from Kickstarter., even if it does meet the absurdly low $50,000 target. The lack thing Kickstarter needs is to have its reputation damaged when warning flags were raised early on.  

News Comments > Areal: Spiritual Successor to S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
28. Re: Areal: Spiritual Successor to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Jun 25, 2014, 15:42 theyarecomingforyou

Not going anywhere near this. The footage in the video was clearly from STALKER and was being passed off as something original. Further, there is no way they're going to make a multiplatform game on PC, XB1, PS4 and Wii U for just $50,000 - either they already have a lot of funding, making the Kickstarter pointless, or it's an outright scam.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $47M
27. Re: Star Citizen Passes $47M Jun 24, 2014, 10:17 theyarecomingforyou

John wrote on Jun 24, 2014, 08:13:
It takes an additional $2 million to add a fancy plant to the game?
Obviously not. That money goes to hiring extra staff, developing new ships, supporting the PU (which will cost a lot to maintain), improving the quality of the existing content, etc.

The release of Arena Commander has demonstrated that the game is progressing extremely well and the information given to the community is unprecedented. I upgraded my Aurora to a Hornet due to how much fun I had with AC and when the multi-crew ships are available as chassis upgrades I'll likely upgrade again (hopefully to the Redeemer if it's not too expensive).

That said, I'd like to see the stretch goals completely reworked. Each $1m should be a trivial cosmetic item (as is currently the case), each $5m a new ship or planet and each $10m a new gameplay feature or singleplayer content. Backers should be given something to work towards, something substantial.

News Comments > GameStar: Crytek in Financial Trouble
41. Re: GameStar: Crytek in Financial Trouble Jun 23, 2014, 01:59 theyarecomingforyou

To put things in perspective, Valve has just over 300 employees and is infinitely more successful.  

News Comments > GameStar: Crytek in Financial Trouble
27. Re: GameStar: Crytek in Financial Trouble Jun 22, 2014, 18:52 theyarecomingforyou

The original Far Cry was excellent for the time, especially technologically. The acting was a bit weak and the ending was terrible but the open world gameplay redefined the genre. As for Crysis, it was a bad game - it was terribly optimised, the gameplay was weak, the narrative cliched and it just wasn't any fun.

For me it was Crysis 2 that was the best game in the series, as while it was more linear it was a lot more fun and the suit settings made a lot more sense. It had a decent Hollywood-style over-the-top narrative. Crysis 3 was decent but forgettable - it was completely outshone by Far Cry 3, which was more fun, better optimised and had a better story.

I don't want to see Crytek disappear, as I much prefer CryEngine to Unreal Engine, but the company needs to substantially restructure itself to remain relevant. I just hope this doesn't impact Star Citizen.

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale
51. Re: Steam Summer Sale Jun 19, 2014, 18:07 theyarecomingforyou

Do not buy Dead Rising 3. It is capped at 30fps on PC.  

News Comments > Deus Ex Universe Online Hint?
1. Re: Deus Ex Universe Online Hint? Jun 18, 2014, 10:07 theyarecomingforyou

That's fine as long as it's co-op and not competitive multiplayer (or worse, an MMO). However, I'm struggling to see how it would work well.  

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V for PC This Fall
87. Re: Grand Theft Auto V for PC This Fall Jun 17, 2014, 06:36 theyarecomingforyou

ForgedReality wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 14:44:
So when they re-release movies in a superior format, it should be half of the normal price for a movie?
Yes, or more specifically it should be released at the same price as the original release. Movie studios are fleecing people for something that costs them very little to produce.

News Comments > Star Citizen E3 Presentation; (Lack of) OS X Clarification
25. Re: Star Citizen E3 Presentation; (Lack of) OS X Clarification Jun 13, 2014, 15:12 theyarecomingforyou

Flo wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 13:39:
Can anyone tell me what you get when you shell out 60$ (?) for the final retail copy (in 2017 or so...).
I'm totally confused by all this insurance & online universe thing.
You'll get the base game, which includes Squadron 42 (the singleplayer portion of the game), Arena Commander (the simulator portion of the game) and Star Citizen (also known as the Persistent Universe). You won't get any ships but playing through S42 will earn you enough credits to buy a starter ship like the Aurora or Mustang. You'll be able to earn all ships in-game via normal play or steal them if you're a pirate.

As for insurance, it's pretty much a non-entity. Basically it works like real life - if you have insurance and you damage your ship you will get a replacement. It will cost a nominal amount, as will the landing fees for hangars. You'll easily be able to earn enough credits to buy insurance through playing the game normally. Further, if you're really worried you'll be able to buy a limited amount of credits with real money. LTI (lifetime insurance) was offered as a perk for early backers and was given more importance than was warranted.

Accusations have been made that the game effectively amounts to P2W but the reality is that there isn't one "best" ship. Some people will want to race from one point to another and avoid combat, so will opt for something like the M50; others will want to take on other ships in dogfighting, so will opt for the Hornet; some people will want to play cooperatively with others, so will opt for something like the Idris; others will want to transport cargo, so will opt for the Banu Merchantman; others will want to cruise around in their own luxury yacht, so will opt for the 890 Jump.

There is no one definitive ship. Plus it simply reflects real life - some people will be able to afford massive ships, others will be happy with something really basic. There is also the guild system, which allows people to join a group that offers protection and perks. Personally I don't think anything will beat the satisfaction of a group of players with basic ships teaming up to take down a capital ship, of earning the best ships through skill rather than through your bank account.

6091 Comments. 305 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo