Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonas Taylor

Real Name Jonas Taylor   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname theyarecomingforyou
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 8, 2005, 11:25
Total Comments 6388 (Guru)
User ID 22891

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Mad Max Game Released; Movies on Steam
37. Re: Mad Max Game Released; Movies on Steam Sep 1, 2015, 15:17 theyarecomingforyou

Desalus wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 15:12:
Marvin T. Martian wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 14:47:
That one line is enough to make it a no buy. M/KB should always be the main and equal to or better than adding console controller.(as well as the console save system).

C'mon...you're meaning to tell me you prefer to play racing and platforming games with a M/KB over a controller? I find that very hard to believe. Some games are easier to control with a M/KB and some are easier to control with a controller. There's no need to be a "PC Master Race" elitist.
Heck, being part of the PC Master Race is using the best controller for the game. Driving games are usually best with a controller or wheel; flight games are best with HOTAS.

That said, M+KB should be perfectly viable and if it's not then that's a bad sign.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Mad Max released, Star Citizen not even remotely close to release Sep 1, 2015, 14:37 theyarecomingforyou

harlock wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 14:33:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 14:31:
nin wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 14:03:
Sad troll is sad, begs for attention. Humps kx's leg.
I'm quite happy, actually. But I don't mind the attention.

how many cats do you have in your house right now?
Just the one, but the neighbour's cat visits regularly. Anxious

29. Re: Mad Max released, Star Citizen not even remotely close to release Sep 1, 2015, 14:31 theyarecomingforyou

nin wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 14:03:
Sad troll is sad, begs for attention. Humps kx's leg.
I'm quite happy, actually. But I don't mind the attention.

News Comments > Star Citizen Social Module Released
147. Re: Star Citizen Social Module Released Sep 1, 2015, 14:24 theyarecomingforyou

Flatline wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 12:52:
Actually you're wrong there. Even on the kickstarter page it says that the "single player" game will be online for "drop in/drop out multiplayer!".

So yeah, SQ42, according to the kickstarter page as of... oh ... 12 seconds ago, is waiting on netcode, matchmaking, and probably 3rd person animations.

I suspect his CR ultimate goal is to have SQ42 occur *inside* the PU. That was the pitch anyway. SQ42 occurs, then your character moves on into the PU and plays around.
Actually, they've stated that the co-op missions are going to be part of the PU and come later - they'll be accessed via Arena Commander. The singleplayer is playable entirely offline. So no, it doesn't need netcode. However, even if it did need netcode, matchmaking and third-person animations they could all come after the initial release.

As I've said, I remain sceptical that S42 will hit this year or be ready any time soon (I'm predicting mid-to-late 2016) but it's possible. Personally I'd rather have it done right and given the problems they've encountered with Star Marine, and given that they haven't released it and been able to gather and implement user feedback, I don't see how they can hit this year, at least not with the full campaign.

21. Re: Mad Max Game Released; Movies on Steam Sep 1, 2015, 13:33 theyarecomingforyou

Kxmode wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 12:35:
I really enjoy this game!
It figures that you'd like a casual game like this whilst zealously bashing Star Citizen, a game with depth.

141. Re: Star Citizen Social Module Released Sep 1, 2015, 11:44 theyarecomingforyou

nin wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 10:11:
Scheherazade wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 10:03:
I wish the people that are upset about their use of money would have simply never gotten involved. They clearly didn't appreciate the conditions they were getting involved in at the time they hit the 'spend' button.

Complaining about CIG is like complaining to 7-11 that you didn't win the lottery and you want your dollar back. If you don't like taking risks, don't finance a startup.

-scheherazade

Some of us backers feel the same way (not wanting to be involved). But what the project started at, at what it morphed into are two wildly different things. I don't give a fuck about a social space, or a FP shooter, or a goddamn racetrack...yet here's all this stupid shit, and no single player.

A better comparison would be a lottery that changes the rules every week and gives out prizes no one asked for instead of the promised money.

A better analogy would be buying a lottery ticket only to find the prize is bigger and better than what was originally planned but that it will take longer to receive it. Do you want $1,000,000 now or $10,000,000 later?

At this point it's too early to say if S42 will be delayed. People weren't expecting the social module yet it was demoed and released quite quickly. Many of the issues with Star Marine don't directly affect S42 - it doesn't rely on netcode, third person player animations or matchmaking, which have been the main reasons for the SM delay. It's still possible that CIG will surprise people and reveal S42 at CitizenCon and announce it will be released on schedule this year, though I personally think that's unlikely.

I should point out that the persistent universe was promised from the start and FPS combat was announced before the Kickstarter closed. Just because YOU aren't interested in them doesn't mean that wasn't what you backed. The racing was an internal test for the physics and handling that was released to backers as a bonus - we still only have the one location, so it's not like it's been prioritised over the core game. As for the delays, obviously nobody likes them but the end product is going to end up better as a result. Personally I'd rather wait for a better product than getting an inferior product sooner - you're free to disagree.

No game of this scale has ever been developed in such a short time frame, so it's not like the development time is greater than average for the industry. The initial targets were overly optimistic, a pattern we've unfortunately seen repeated. It's best to take any targets with a pinch of salt rather than get worked up about them.

110. Re: Star Citizen Social Module Released Aug 31, 2015, 17:48 theyarecomingforyou

Flatline wrote on Aug 31, 2015, 16:18:
dsmart wrote on Aug 31, 2015, 15:06:
The stretch goal is for 100 of these social module powered levels. They said that over the years it would increase to 800. The information all out there and I have it in my blogs using sourced material straight from CR himself

Not to mention "playable levels" that are all of the ships for boarding actions and shit. Some of those big-ass craft that have been sold already look like small towns. And supposedly there will be bigger ships than that.
I think a lot of people forget that each ship, especially some of the larger ones, are effectively levels in their own right. Surprisingly enough they take a long time to develop. They also form the basis of Squadron 42, which is why certain ships have been prioritised.

If you look at the Gamescom demo there's a huge amount of content that hasn't been shown off before. The scale of the space station is absurd and it has a fully detailed interior. We've also just seen Nyx, the second planetside location, for the first time and that's clearly had a lot of work put into it. No doubt there is a lot of content like that. It could be that the game comes together quite quickly over the next year but we really won't know until later this year when we should have Star Marine, Arena Commander 2.0, several updates for the Social Module and an update regarding Squadron 42 (presumably at CitizenCon in October).

I can certainly understand why many are sceptical, as I myself have my concerns. That doesn't excuse some of the trolling around here though.

108. Re: Star Citizen Social Module Released Aug 31, 2015, 17:36 theyarecomingforyou

Kxmode wrote on Aug 31, 2015, 15:57:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Aug 31, 2015, 15:36:
Kxmode wrote on Aug 31, 2015, 15:15:
We're discussing the merits of Star Citizen's social module using language that isn't cult-like in nature. You're more than welcome to continue putting in your points as a White Knight backer. Unlike the RSI forums and the Star Citizen reddit everyone is open to express their viewpoints.
There's a difference between expressing your opinion and trolling - your posts clearly fall under the latter. Really, your posts are just embarrassing.

This is the typical White Knight response. I extend an olive branch of friendship and peace by letting you and others know that everyone is welcome to discuss Star Citizen, and you punch me in the face.

#WhiteKnightDouchery

You accused me of acting 'cult-like' and have trolled every SC topic. To claim that you were extending 'an olive branch of friendship' is patently disingenuous and frankly insulting. I've been more than reasonable but I've had it with your douchebaggery. Congratulations, you've managed to make Mr Desktop Commander look reasonable and mature.

jdreyer wrote on Aug 31, 2015, 16:18:
@ Theyarecoming, 88Fingers, BadIron

Iím generally on your side in these forums. Iím excited for the game and think theyíre making good progress with the architecture of the individual modules.

That being said, this social module is really depressing. Yes, is huge and beautiful, but obviously took 10s of 1000s of hours to build. Thereís just no way to apply that scope to 100 never mind 200 individual locations. There are two locations so far: ArcCorp and Nyx. There are two maps (IIRC) for Arena Commander. And the Star Marine module will also launch in a few weeks (hopefully) with two maps available. And Iím sure theyíll look fantastic. But again, two maps. Does anyone know how many maps total are supposed to be included in Star Marine?
The assets are being built out as building blocks. That means you'll get similar stores on each planet, each using the same building blocks but laid out different. They're also working on procedural generation, which was one of the stretch goals, in order to build and deploy assets more quickly. I agree with your criticism of Arena Commander and this is something I have frequently brought up on the official forums - we only have the same two levels it launch with last year. The only thing I would say is that we don't have 64bit precision which is needed for the larger levels. That comes with AC2.0, at which point I would expect to see more levels. It will come with the Stanton system.

I'll also point out that Star Marine only ships with ONE map, as Sata Ball will be coming later. Again, that's something I've criticised on the forums. They're going to need to add a lot of content very rapidly next year if the game is going to take shape.

jdreyer wrote on Aug 31, 2015, 16:18:
If the goal is to ship at the end of 2016, I donít see how they have more than a dozen hubs and a dozen maps for Star Marine and a couple dozen space environments. I just donít see how they build all the content before then. For me, I think such a small scope will probably be okay. I got into SC for Sq 42, not the MMO. If it is part of the game, Iíll probably get in and tool around casually, and be happy with that scope (although with nearly a million backers, that sounds pretty crowded). But I donít see how they make good on their promise.
There's no way the game will ship by the end of 2016. We'll likely see Squadron 42 before then but the PU will take a lot longer to roll out. However, by then we'll have the start of the PU - we'll have multiple systems to travel between, items to buy, ships to upgrade, ship boarding, missions, etc. Once the basics are in place it's simply a matter of adding content.

However, while I am very much looking forward to the game and have high hopes for it that doesn't mean I don't have my concerns. CIG has a poor track record when it comes to delivering playable content and the SocMod is hardly exciting - it's just a large empty map. However, I also recognise that a lot of the last few years have been building up the studios, the assets and the fundamentals (FPS, netcode, story writing, performance capture, audio creation, etc). It may be that they can start pumping out content as quickly as the ship pipeline, which has been very effective (in large part because it generates revenue).

101. Re: Star Citizen Social Module Released Aug 31, 2015, 15:56 theyarecomingforyou

jdreyer wrote on Aug 31, 2015, 15:48:
Thanks Derek. I agree with your assessment on engine, I was actually kind of shocked when they announced they'd be using Cryengine. No Man's Sky, LOD, and Elite:Dangerous all use custom engines for this very reason.

Although I never play MMOs, good luck with LOD. I hope it turns out well.
Using a custom engine would have added years onto the development, something Chris Roberts addressed recently. It might have produced a better result but CIG wasn't in a position to make such a commitment when they weren't sure the game was even going to be funded.

100. Re: Star Citizen Social Module Released Aug 31, 2015, 15:54 theyarecomingforyou

SpectralMeat wrote on Aug 31, 2015, 15:43:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Aug 31, 2015, 15:36:
After I posted that link they apparently uploaded a better version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2YMlnn4Ngk
That does look pretty impressive
Indeed. But CIG really does need to increase its output of playable content. The social module is rudimentary and has little in the way of substance - it's a great starting point but it needs to be updated regularly, which hasn't been the case with Arena Commander so far.

As I've said before, by the end of this year we'll have a better idea of the state of the game. At the moment CIG needs to do a lot to win people over, especially after the substantial delays to Star Marine.

96. Re: Star Citizen Social Module Released Aug 31, 2015, 15:36 theyarecomingforyou

SpectralMeat wrote on Aug 31, 2015, 14:53:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Aug 31, 2015, 14:35:
CIG has released the first footage of Nyx, which is the next location that is due out later this year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4-loB94HIg
private video
After I posted that link they apparently uploaded a better version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2YMlnn4Ngk

Kxmode wrote on Aug 31, 2015, 15:15:
We're discussing the merits of Star Citizen's social module using language that isn't cult-like in nature. You're more than welcome to continue putting in your points as a White Knight backer. Unlike the RSI forums and the Star Citizen reddit everyone is open to express their viewpoints.
There's a difference between expressing your opinion and trolling - your posts clearly fall under the latter. Really, your posts are just embarrassing.

87. Re: Star Citizen Social Module Released Aug 31, 2015, 14:35 theyarecomingforyou

As there's been so much misinformation I thought I'd clear up a few points:

1) All the animations are temporary. They're being worked on for Star Marine and were recently transitioned to a new skeleton, meaning they've all had to be rebound.

2) There are going to be multiple planetside locations in each system, with some planets having multiple locations (Earth will have three, for instance). They are building the core assets (shops, materials, etc) and will create a unique feel for each location. I haven't seen any figure for the number of planetside locations but I'd expect there to be 200+. CIG has released the first footage of Nyx, which is the next location that is due out later this year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4-loB94HIg

3) This is the first release with character customisation. Players can press F6 when in their hangar to change between the six loadouts (Outlaw Light/Medium/Heavy and Marine Light/Medium/Heavy).

4) The server errors aren't being caused by server load, as they're hosted by Google and have plenty of capacity. There are some backend issues that cause servers to believe they're full when they're not. Based on the forum topic it seems that most of the people with issues are running Windows 10.

PS - It's no surprise to see the usual trolls in this topic.

News Comments > HTC RE Vive VR Headsets Delayed
16. Re: HTC RE Vive VR Headsets Delayed Aug 28, 2015, 22:27 theyarecomingforyou

1badmf wrote on Aug 28, 2015, 18:25:
Bundy wrote on Aug 28, 2015, 18:08:
TangledThorns wrote on Aug 28, 2015, 17:24:
I only suspect this has something to do with Half-Life 3.

HL3 CONFIRMED!

wouldn't that be a wicked marketing move?
Yup. If I was Valve I'd have HL3 as a VR launch title (playable without VR as well) and give it away free with Steam Machines and the Steam Controller. That would get their hardware into millions of homes and establish them as a major player in the console market. Then again I'd have also bought up Black Mesa and bundled that with it.

At this point Valve really isn't a developer any more. They've yet to release a threequel to any title - TF, L4D, HL, Dota. They make so much from Steam they don't need to do anything.

News Comments > Borderlands Movie Plans
5. Re: Borderlands Movie Plans Aug 28, 2015, 19:26 theyarecomingforyou

.Drifter wrote on Aug 28, 2015, 18:06:
I don't really see this working out too well, especially if it's live action.
All they need to do is make it Mad Max: Fury Road only with vault hunters and job done. They won't though, they'll fuck it up and use horrific amounts of CGI and horrible dialogue.

News Comments > HTC RE Vive VR Headsets Delayed
8. Re: G4 Makeover Coming? Aug 28, 2015, 12:28 theyarecomingforyou

Bundy wrote on Aug 28, 2015, 11:19:
Probably. Vendors wanted X amount of dollars by a certain date for production. HTC couldn't afford to line it all up.
I doubt that has anything to do with it. It seems more to do with the ecosystem. There simply won't be many games or demos ready for this year. Crytek has only just added VR support for the CryEngine SDK. If you look at the Leap Motion it was a great concept but the ecosystem meant there was just nothing to do with it.

It makes more sense to launch nearer the Oculus Rift as that will have a lot of support.

As for interoperability, Valve is working on a VR ecosystem that will support multiple devices. Aside from bundled tech demos I don't think we're going to see support problems, at least not from the major competitors.

News Comments > More Derek Smart vs. Star Citizen
203. Re: More Derek Smart vs. Star Citizen Aug 27, 2015, 13:56 theyarecomingforyou

Kosumo wrote on Aug 27, 2015, 03:10:
I doubt it was Ben 'Chris's Goebbels' Lesnick idea, but he will be the fall guy
Comparing Ben to a Nazi war criminal? Mate, calm it down. You've lost any credibility. Move on.

News Comments > GOG Galaxy Client Updated
5. Re: GOG Galaxy Client Updated Aug 26, 2015, 08:02 theyarecomingforyou

Steam really needs this functionality. GOG is putting Valve to shame.  

News Comments > Some Star Citizen Refunds
86. Re: Some Star Citizen Refunds Aug 24, 2015, 19:45 theyarecomingforyou

Dacron wrote on Aug 24, 2015, 15:01:
So accepting something from company A is okay, but the same thing from company B is NOT okay.
Absolutely, yes.

If EA decided to fund the next Battlefield game on Kickstarter, charging large amounts for in-game vehicles, maps and other content then I would be outraged because they have the financial resources to fund it themselves. It would simply be a way for them to avoid any liability, as if the game is crap or never released then gamers have no recourse.

If on the other hand an indie developer decides to do the same thing because it wouldn't have been funded any other way then I support that. People know the risks going in and it's not a large publisher with shareholders only interested in making money at the expense of gamers, like EA.

Do you really not understand my position? Because you certainly don't seem to understand what hypocrisy is. Large publisher that could fund it themselves = bad; indie developer that can't get funding any other way = fine. That's an intellectually consistent position.

84. Re: Some Star Citizen Refunds Aug 24, 2015, 14:19 theyarecomingforyou

grudgebearer wrote on Aug 24, 2015, 07:19:
How staggeringly honest, and completely hypocritical of you. It's terrible when EA does it, but brilliant and awesome when CIG does it; you really are brainwashed.
It's not hypocritical - it's a logically consistent position. Star Citizen is a game I want to play but it would never have been made any other way. Either I accept a less than ideal business model or I boycott it. I don't like the business model but I accept it as a necessary evil. Were it EA or Ubisoft, which do have the money for such a project, I wouldn't have any tolerance for it.

On the plus side the funding model has allowed the game to become much larger and more ambitious than anyone thought was possible. What will be interesting is how funding is handled after release, as the introduction of subscriptions or F2P mechanics is not acceptable. I'm okay with them continuing to sell ship bundles for new users and new concept ships and expansions; I'm not okay with mandatory subscriptions and am opposed to the policy of allowing people to buy in-game credit (which is currently the case).

If pretending that I'm brainwashed makes you feel better then go ahead, it's no skin off my back.

82. Re: Some Star Citizen Refunds Aug 23, 2015, 21:25 theyarecomingforyou

Kosumo wrote on Aug 23, 2015, 02:25:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Aug 22, 2015, 09:34:
Kosumo wrote on Aug 22, 2015, 04:23:
Fidelity does not equal great gameplay.
I didn't suggest otherwise.

Yes you did, otherwise what did you mean by this?

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Aug 22, 2015, 03:10:
We're all well aware of the delays. What matters is whether the end game is decent and that looks to be the case now more than ever. Go back and watch the original pitch then watch the Gamescom demo - the fidelity is far beyond what was originally shown.

Because the 'gameplay*' in the kickstarter video looks better still than the 'gameplay*' in that Gamescom demo.
Two different things. The fidelity has increased AND the depth of gameplay has increased - it's just easier to see the difference when it comes to fidelity.

If that is true, and it's what the backers want then why don't people just fund him more money without get spaceships in return?
Because, as I very clearly pointed out, the selling of spaceships has always been how the game has been funded. Continuing that isn't a deviation - it's perfectly consistent.

I bet if there where not always a new better internet spaceship FOR SALE, then the money would stop. Ergo, adding new ships (which have made some old one subpar from what I've heard) is total GREED.
Of course the new ships are responsible for CIG's income - that's their business model. It's not a secret. But adding new ships isn't greed any more than the initial pitch was - the game would not have been funded any other way.

Were this coming from a publisher like EA or Ubisoft I'd be absolutely on your side but this is a game that literally wouldn't have been made any other way. If your argument is that this game shouldn't have been made then you're entitled to that opinion but the reality is that nearly a million people felt otherwise and have supported the project, while many others will buy it once it's released. That justifies its existence.

6388 Comments. 320 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo