Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonas Taylor

Real Name Jonas Taylor   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname theyarecomingforyou
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 8, 2005, 11:25
Total Comments 6007 (Guru)
User ID 22891

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Crytek to Repair Reputation with "Really High Quality Games"
46. Re: Crytek to Repair Reputation with Aug 20, 2014, 10:33 theyarecomingforyou

The gameplay was clunky, especially the suit powers. The gunplay didn't feel right. The levels were dull and linear, despite their large size - Far Cry felt more open. The enemies were utterly generic. The plot was beyond cliched. The third-person vehicles were awkward and out of place. To me it was just a glorified tech demo.

For me I much prefer games that create a compelling universe, that leaves gaps for the players to fill in and that have a decent narrative. My favourites are games like Half-Life / 2, Far Cry 2 / 3, STALKER: SoC / Clear Sky, Metro: 2033 / Last Light, Bioshock Infinite, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, etc.

It also doesn't help that Crysis was published by EA, one of the shittiest publishers out there.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Crytek to Repair Reputation with "Really High Quality Games"
44. Re: Crytek to Repair Reputation with Aug 20, 2014, 08:03 theyarecomingforyou

Quboid wrote on Aug 19, 2014, 20:15:
I've recently been replaying Crysis and it holds up really well. Parts of it reminded me of Far Cry 3, like as I prepared to attack an enemy base. I've got nearly as far as the aliens so, eeeeh, I think I'm done with that. It looks very nice, as I can now turn on most of the effects at a resolution above what its UI allowed for.
Graphically it holds up but the gameplay was weak at the time and hasn't held up well. Certainly it doesn't have the enjoyability or replayability of Far Cry 2 or 3. Crysis 2 was the better game, even if it was more linear.

News Comments > Star Citizen at $50 Million; New Commercial
54. Re: Star Citizen at $50 Million; New Commercial Aug 17, 2014, 16:11 theyarecomingforyou

El Pit wrote on Aug 17, 2014, 10:51:
Ehm... Big names in Wing Commander? Mark Hamill seems to be a very nice guy, but nowhere a big name in movie biz. Except for Star Wars, his career has been less then stellar (pun intended). And Rhys-Davies neither is a top star in Hollywood, but has been co-starring in some good movies (Raiders, Rings...) AND starred in a lot of cheap b- and c-movie productions. Both are not earning million(s) for (voice) acting.
They were some of the biggest names to have appeared in a video game at that time, so it's all relative. Nowadays AAA voice acting in videogames is quite common.

52. Re: Star Citizen at $50 Million; New Commercial Aug 17, 2014, 07:56 theyarecomingforyou

The game has raised over $1m in two days, all through the publicity from the trailer and Gamescom appearance. The trailer has more than paid for itself. Clearly people are happy with the direction the game is going.

Now to address a couple of other criticisms I've seen posted recently. There is talk of a reward system within Arena Commander that will allow people to earn better ships than they have pledged for, which should negate some of the P2W criticism before the release of the PU. As for the cost of voice acting, I think games benefit from having big names attached to them - Oblivion, Fallout 3 and the Batman games certainly did, as did Wing Commander back in the day. Certainly they should be sensible with the amount spent but the game has yet to even be released and they've pulled in an obscene amount of money.

39. Re: Star Citizen at $50 Million; New Commercial Aug 16, 2014, 19:16 theyarecomingforyou

I might be wrong on the amount for voice acting but I definitely remember it being at least $10m. It was covered in one of the Wingman's Hangar videos, though I haven't been able to find which one and my Google/RSI forum searches have been in vain. Celebrity voice acting was promised at the $5m stretch goal, so obviously if it could be done at that budget then what we're going to be getting now is substantially more than that. That cost includes all the motion capture work they're doing, as they've invested in a cutting edge system.

Don't forget that a lot of Chris Roberts' games have featured major voice actors and Squadron 42 is being developed as a full game in itself. It's also worth remembering that the game is going to raise significantly more money between now and its release, as many people are waiting for it to be released before buying it. I'd be surprised if the game doesn't hit $75m, given that this release pulled in $500,000 alone and it's managing $40 a day.

27. Re: Star Citizen at $50 Million; New Commercial Aug 16, 2014, 16:57 theyarecomingforyou

jdreyer wrote on Aug 16, 2014, 16:05:
As a supporter of this project (at the base level) I do have to say that it's been nearly 2 years, and there's very little to show. It's worrying. After two years most studios would be in full game alpha at least, but all we have is the arena tech demo and some nice commercials.
A game of this scale, with a persistent online universe, is not a two-year project. That said, in two weeks we're going to see the addition of atmospheric racing, new hangars, at least two new ships and friend-based matchmaking. Then a couple of months later we'll be at version 1.0, which we will find out more about later. The engine is still being rewritten for 64-bit, which is required for most of the advanced features.

As for the extra money raised, that's going to things like hiring big name voice actors (which they reckon could cost $20-30m), developers (a substantial cost given the skills required), supporting the persistent universe for years, etc.

CIG has done a good job of keeping the community informed, while holding enough back to present a few surprises.

25. Re: Star Citizen at $50 Million; New Commercial Aug 16, 2014, 16:36 theyarecomingforyou

CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 16, 2014, 12:25:
Yes, it's really getting out of hand. The fanbois will tell you that these commercials are in-game assets and needed for the game anyway which is sort of true BUT something like this is something you'd put in at the last minute or maybe even post-launch because the only functionality that's really needed is that you can buy the ship from an in-game ship dealer. A commercial is just fluff.
The commercials are used to promote new ships. Since releasing the trailer for the Constellation and ship racing at Gamescon the game has raised half a million dollars in a day, which pays for developing the game. The commercials more than pay for themselves and that's important for a game funded exclusively by crowdfunding.

They should be working on gameplay systems. They should be up to their ankles in Squadron 42 and PU work.
They are, hence the demonstration of multicrew gameplay, racing and the FPS trailer. They have more than demonstrated that.

Oh, and they are pulling off the "limited" trick again, too. One of the Connie variants (the most expensive Phoenix variant ofc) has been limited to 5K in this sale. So they are once again creating a pretend urge to get one even though it will be available in-game.
If that generates sales then so be it, as it also prevents too many players from owning them. It will be earnable in-game and Chris Roberts speculated it might only take a week of playing to earn one.

I'm an original backer, golden ticket holder, $1K+ pledger because I wanted to help them make the most awesome space sim ever (especially Squadron 42 as a return of WC, Privateer and Freelancer).
I used to be a HUGE fan of this project in the first few months but now I'm just disgusted by how CR has turned this into a money making scheme. The guy's greed appears to be infinite.
All the money is going towards game development, so greed doesn't come into it. As an original backer and golden ticket holder I am more than happy with how the game is progressing.

News Comments > Rise of the Tomb Raider Xbox-clusivity "Has a Duration"
16. Re: Rise of the Tomb Raider Xbox-clusivity Aug 14, 2014, 05:52 theyarecomingforyou

TangledThorns wrote on Aug 13, 2014, 19:07:
This still doesn't resolve anything. MS still pissed off a lot of gamers.
Yeah, but it's been doing that since it got involved in console gaming. People are used to Microsoft fucking over PC gamers.

News Comments > The Sims 4 Create A Sim Demo
3. Re: The Sims 4 Create A Sim Demo Aug 13, 2014, 16:31 theyarecomingforyou

wasteoid wrote on Aug 13, 2014, 16:19:
Sheesh! Not only do you have to create an account on their site, but you have to download and install Origin on your machine to download a stupid demo. Pass.
To be fair it would be the same if it was on Steam.

I downloaded it and it seems decent. Might pick it up if I can find it cheap but I'm not in a hurry.

News Comments > Rise of the Tomb Raider Xbox-clusivity "Has a Duration"
11. Re: Rise of the Tomb Raider Xbox-clusivity Aug 13, 2014, 16:29 theyarecomingforyou

Microsoft is desperate because the PS4 version of Tomb Raider outsold the XB1 2-to-1.

Square Enix must have been paid a shit ton of money to piss off fans like this, as this will hurt the brand.

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Trailers
13. Re: Far Cry 4 Trailers Aug 13, 2014, 05:24 theyarecomingforyou

Loopy wrote on Aug 13, 2014, 01:23:
I was about to say fears about the trailers might be less founded this time around, given that FC3 had to run on last-gen hardware. But I just realized FC4 is coming out for last-gen platforms too. =/
The difference is that more resources will have been focused on 'next-gen' graphics and gameplay, with the X360 and PS3 being supported for legacy. You never know, that might mean it's better optimised on PC while maintaining the same graphical fidelity.

The reality is that Far Cry 3 was pretty demanding. It was one of the few titles to push my GTX680 SLI setup. It couldn't have been pushed much further given the PC hardware at the time.

News Comments > Capture Added to Star Citizen Arena Commander
33. Re: Capture Added to Star Citizen Arena Commander Aug 11, 2014, 06:58 theyarecomingforyou

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 11, 2014, 02:35:
I started hanger and got sick within 5 minutes.. and the hangar looks absolute SHIT to boot. Physics are crap, and flying in Arena feels shit. What excuse is "It's an alpha" .. this has been this way ever since the hangar released, and Arena is out for months too.
The hangars are being remade using PBR, just like a lot of the ships are currently being remodelled to improve their fidelity. Physics have been improved several times and CIG is working on the flight controller.

Your expectations for an alpha are clearly unreasonable.

18. Re: Capture Added to Star Citizen Arena Commander Aug 10, 2014, 18:45 theyarecomingforyou

Kosumo wrote on Aug 10, 2014, 17:36:
The playable side that you can now play vs other players in a competitive game type, that you can have an advantage in if you have lots of diffent internet-spaceships*

Are they opening up more free ship types for players to try? Or is it still just what you pay for?

*anyone can have any ship they want, they just have to pay with real money, not internet-spaceship money.
It's only with the pledge ships. Players won't be able to earn new ships in-game until the implementation of the persistent universe, which is a long way off. Players with a subscription are able to test out a limited number of ships that they don't own.

There has been some discussion on the forums as to whether CIG should open up the Arena Commander to allow players to try out other ships and it hasn't been ruled out from what I've seen. There are also numerous competitions on the forum to win ships, some official and some by organisations.

At this point the game is only playable for those who have a game package with alpha access. It's still very early in terms of testing.

News Comments > 4A Games on Metro Redux Upgrades
16. Re: 4A Games on Metro Redux Upgrades Aug 10, 2014, 18:39 theyarecomingforyou

The bundle should have been cheaper for those who already own both games. It should have been 50% off individually or 75% off if you own both.

I can see the value in Metro: 2033 Redux but not the Last Light one, regardless of the DLC - that one seems a bit excessive.

14. Re: Capture Added to Star Citizen Arena Commander Aug 10, 2014, 17:28 theyarecomingforyou

Eirikrautha wrote on Aug 10, 2014, 10:30:
Sorry, but adding modes to the arena does not seem to be moving this game closer to the very long list of goals that it has. I understand not wanting modellers to sit idle while you are programming, but is RSI seriously telling me with this that their programmers have nothing to do but add modes to the arena? Seriously? :(
This is part of the development process. Capture The Core was always going to be released but wasn't ready in the initial version, just as multiplayer wasn't (and has since been added). They also have programmers working on multi-crew ships, first-person combat, NPC AI, the economy, etc.

The point is that Arena Commander is the playable side of the equation. It makes sense to add features, as gamers can take advantage of them - it also means issues with the game mechanics can be addressed from player feedback. They're also working on features that aren't ready to be added.

I'm sorry but you're a moron if you think the programmers have all been tied up adding in CTF. Just watch Around The Verse or 10 For The Chairman to get an idea of what else they're doing.

News Comments > Metro Redux Uncovered Trailer
11. Re: Metro Redux Uncovered Trailer Aug 9, 2014, 08:24 theyarecomingforyou

CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 8, 2014, 18:19:
Gameplay, AI and multiplayer changes aside and just looking at the visuals, I have to say that my Metro 2033 looked exactly like the Redux version. In addition to using the lowest gfx settings, they must have also used all kinds of fuck-up filters to make the game look that bad in the "Original" comparison shots.
They were comparing the console version (X360) with the next-gen version. The PC version was much better than the old footage they showed.

That said, Metro 2033 wasn't the best optimised game and Metro: Last Light definitely improved the experience. I'm happy to pick it up at the discounted price for original owners. That said, I can't see the value in the Metro: Last Light Redux version.

News Comments > Sierra Entertainment Revival
15. Re: Sierra Entertainment Revival Aug 8, 2014, 13:19 theyarecomingforyou

Fuck Sierra, bring back Infogrames.  

News Comments > Colin McRae Rally Steam Refunds
5. Re: Colin McRae Rally Steam Refunds Aug 6, 2014, 12:00 theyarecomingforyou

It's really not much clearer now. I had no idea this was based on the mobile version and assumed, like others, that it was a re-release of the old version.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Arena Commander Expands; New Ship Added
64. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Expands; New Ship Added Aug 5, 2014, 11:25 theyarecomingforyou

Flatline wrote on Aug 4, 2014, 15:05:
Well depending on how optimistic you are that's either because "it's an alpha!" (which seems to be the blanket excuse, even for game design decisions) or the slightly more realistic cop that Chris Roberts has a hardon for a more simulator experience than a game, or the more cynical suspicion that the flight control model is intentionally obtuse because it's the dodge required to avoid the accusations of pay to win.
The handling is different to other games because the physics is modelled accurately, meaning when you turn you have to allow for deceleration from thrusters firing in the opposite direction. It also means that when thrusters are damaged the ship handling can be dramatically altered.

As for the game being more of a simulator than a game, the RSI forums are filled with people complaining that it's too dumbed down. Handling is something that is going to receive substantial work before release and each patch usually improves things. Personally I think it's a nice balance and what I expected given Chris Roberts' previous games.

News Comments > Star Citizen at $49M; Ongoing Funding Explained
9. Re: Star Citizen at $49M; Ongoing Funding Explained Aug 5, 2014, 10:55 theyarecomingforyou

SpectralMeat wrote on Aug 5, 2014, 09:43:
It is awesome to show off the power of PC gamers when it comes to funding to shove it in the console companies face, but at the same time I really wish he would focus on making the game instead of all the other crap he does, like those web tv things and commercials and new ship designs etc.
They ARE focused on the game. The web series are funded by subscriptions separate to the game funding in order to keep people informed about the development progress and are extremely informative. The new ships are simply those that have been completed and are put on sale for a limited period to raise funds - the fact that new ships are being sold is evidence of the game's progress. They'll be added to Arena Commander as soon as possible, as the plan is to get all the single-seater ships released first. The commercials are a form of advertising, considering that CIG doesn't have a publisher or traditional advertising budget.

The reality is that development is progressing but it takes time and a lot of it simply isn't ready to be released to backers. Game development is largely uninteresting but CIG has done an excellent job of keeping people informed and presenting it in an entertaining manner.

I think it's unfair to fault CIG when it is more transparent than any other developer out there. If the information isn't of interest to you that isn't CIG's fault.

6007 Comments. 301 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo