Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonas Taylor

Real Name Jonas Taylor   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname theyarecomingforyou
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 8, 2005, 11:25
Total Comments 6211 (Guru)
User ID 22891

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Desura Explains Missed Payments
6. Re: Desura Explains Missed Payments May 22, 2015, 11:40 theyarecomingforyou

Unless the CEO is responsible for accounts that's a bullshit excuse. And if he is... well, that's not exactly reassuring.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > NASCAR '15 and Demo Released
1. Re: NASCAR '15 and Demo Released May 22, 2015, 09:26 theyarecomingforyou

Looks terrible. All they had to do was licence the EGO engine from Codemasters and it would have been a slam dunk. In fact the licence should have been given to a credible developer in the first place.  

News Comments > Cities: Skylines Free Content
5. Re: Cities: Skylines Free Content May 19, 2015, 18:59 theyarecomingforyou

Awesome. I love this game so much.  

News Comments > DOOM Reveal at E3
73. Re: DOOM Reveal at E3 May 19, 2015, 06:34 theyarecomingforyou

Doom 3 was really weak. The limitations of the engine meant small levels and a limited number of enemies on screen, which was completely out of character for the franchise. The attempt at a story was insulting in comparison to the other games of the era - either stick to the basics (like Painkiller did) or add a decent story. The monster closets ruined the experience for most people, as it was yet another cheap gameplay mechanic. I'm all for developers taking chances and expanding on a franchise but Doom 3 simply did a bad job - it removed the classic traits and made the gameplay tedious.

For me, even though we've only seen a few frames and some screenshots, the warning bells are all ringing. They should have licensed a decent engine, hired someone who has a background in storytelling and made a true next-gen game. Instead they're using an engine that was shit for the last gen. Take the Revenant - the quality is appalling (low poly, low texture quality, poor animations). The shotgun and animations are also really, really weak.

The industry has moved on and id Software is stuck in the past. This game looked a train wreck when the original art was released / leaked (?) all those years ago and sadly it hasn't improved. I'll wait for more videos before making any decision but I can't see myself getting this game.

News Comments > DOOM Reveal at E3
8. Re: DOOM Reveal at E3 May 18, 2015, 14:22 theyarecomingforyou

Looks terrible.  

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Rising Tide Announced
4. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Rising Tide Announced May 18, 2015, 12:38 theyarecomingforyou

Great, looking forward to it. I still enjoy playing Beyond Earth and have a multiplayer game that's been going about five months now.  

News Comments > Rainbow Six: Siege Alpha Changes
4. Re: Rainbow Six: Siege Alpha Changes May 14, 2015, 11:55 theyarecomingforyou

walrus1 wrote on May 14, 2015, 11:35:
These are all really minor changes. Which really don't seem to address many of the complaints I've heard.
Yeah, nothing here makes me think 'this is a developer that really responds to the community'.

News Comments > Alien: Isolation Sales Disappoint
26. Re: Alien: Isolation Sales Disappoint May 11, 2015, 13:59 theyarecomingforyou

We didn't need another Aliens Vs Predator. That's been played out. The problem was that stealth was forced by making all the enemies strong and the alien invincible, while the levels forced you to go back to the same areas. That was combined with objectives that were unclear, meaning you were just following around a market on the minimap or the motion detector - it ruined the immersion.

The strength of video games is allowing players to find their own approach. Forcing stealth with cheap instakills is simply bad game design.

23. Re: Alien: Isolation Sales Disappoint May 11, 2015, 12:41 theyarecomingforyou

I was hoping for a game like Deus Ex: Human Revolution, where you could approach levels as you wanted - guns blazing or stealth. What I ended up with was a game where if you dare to walk you'll get instakilled by the alien. Meh.

The game absolutely looked the part but it just wasn't fun. Not really surprising given it was their first time making a FPS game. Hopefully they get a chance to respond to the feedback and make a better sequel, though it seems unlikely.

5. Re: Alien: Isolation Sales Disappoint May 11, 2015, 09:34 theyarecomingforyou

I enjoyed aspects of the game but there were several aspects that annoyed me.

1) The hub-based levels, which had you constantly going back over the same areas
2) The absurd missions, which gave you no clue where you were going other than to follow the mini-map or a little green bar on your motion sensor
3) The tedious nature of having to creep everywhere
4) The virtually indestructible androids and the actually indestructible alien

I understand what they were going for but I found the entire experience to be rather tedious and unrewarding. I haven't even bothered completing it and likely never will. A shorter, linear game would have been much better.

News Comments > Project CARS Livery Pack Released; AMD Optimizations Coming
8. Re: Project CARS Livery Pack Released; AMD Optimizations Coming May 8, 2015, 10:34 theyarecomingforyou

HorrorScope wrote on May 8, 2015, 09:59:
I'm cool with being frank about it and almost assuredly true the support.

But this is still the cart-horse thing for me with dev working with gpu/drivers. You are making a game, the hardware is out, the drivers are out, to me it seems it is up to you, the game developer to figure it out from there. I still don't clearly understand things like "New drivers are released for (insert brand new game)". Did they not develop the entire game with an older released driver? Wasn't it optimized for what was already released? Every other game released had been optimized for the current release or older.

I know indy game devs probably have very little to zero support from either company and they manage. I guess because they look at "well here is what Nvidia and AMD offers, 1000's of games work with them, let us get this working right with what is out there now.".

I get it if drivers suck across the board, but we know there are 1000's of well running games with what both manufactures have released in the past.

Both parties are to blame, though if nVidia is proactively helping you can understand the performance gap. Things will only get worse with DX12, which requires developers to work more closely with hardware.

AMD just isn't providing the same level of support to developers that nVidia is, which is why launch day performance is such an issue. I experienced that a lot with AMD and since going nVidia the experience has been much smoother (though SLI profiles are still remarkably hit and miss).

News Comments > AU Tax on Digital Purchases Possible
20. Re: AU Tax on Digital Purchases Possible May 7, 2015, 14:26 theyarecomingforyou

jdreyer wrote on May 7, 2015, 13:48:
Julio wrote on May 7, 2015, 11:41:
HorrorScope wrote on May 7, 2015, 11:27:
Online without taxing has a large advantage over B&M and there is a good chance if you live near anything rural, you see the affects of online killing the B&M

If the government had less tax money, we'd see less tax money wasted.
Yes, because less taxes is working out so well for Kansas.
Exactly. The US is a great example of what happens when you slash taxes to the bone, with public services suffering.

jdreyer wrote on May 7, 2015, 13:48:
The tax status of online is only a minor reason for B&M dying off for many types of products. B&M has advantages which they have failed to leverage, it's just a matter of time before it's gone.
For a lot of retailers margins can be extremely small. It's bad enough to have to compete against Amazon's purchasing power on a level playing field, but to also be saddled with tax collection while Amazon (for example) is not is simply unfair.
Exactly. How can small stores hope to compete against multi-billion dollar corporations like Apple, Amazon and EA not having to charge tax on online transactions. Not only do corporations like that avoid having to charge customers tax but they also avoid paying tax themselves. That just isn't fair.

14. Re: AU Tax on Digital Purchases Possible May 7, 2015, 12:21 theyarecomingforyou

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on May 7, 2015, 12:13:
Wow you don't get taxed enough already? I already pay 13% tax on nearly everything I buy...not having to pay taxes on games is great in my book.
I live in the UK and our health system is currently under threat because of the austerity being imposed. Spending has been slashed, while tax on millionaires has actually been reduced. As for 13% tax, our VAT rate is 20% and other countries in the EU pay more.

I'd love to pay less tax and that could be achieved by increased the tax burden on the wealthy. That is something I support. As I said nobody enjoys paying tax. However, it is perfectly reasonable for online purchases and services to be taxed at the same level as traditional purchases and services.

11. Re: AU Tax on Digital Purchases Possible May 7, 2015, 12:00 theyarecomingforyou

Zarkonis wrote on May 7, 2015, 11:22:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on May 7, 2015, 10:49:
Online purchases should be taxed.
Oh, so you're one of those that feels we're not getting taxed enough? Whatever. Hell no, it shouldn't be taxed, it's just another governmental money grab.
Stop being a child. Nobody likes paying taxes but they fund important services. If you bought the game at retail you'd pay tax for it and the same should apply online, otherwise it distorts the marketplace.

Julio wrote on May 7, 2015, 11:41:
If the government had less tax money, we'd see less tax money wasted.
And there'd be less to spend on important services, like healthcare, policing, etc. If there is waste then that needs to be addressed but that's a separate issue.

6. Re: AU Tax on Digital Purchases Possible May 7, 2015, 10:49 theyarecomingforyou

Online purchases should be taxed. That's the case in Europe and prices here are fine. The issue is that prices in Australia are massively inflated due to greedy publishers.

I feel sorry for Australians. Not only do they have to pay a lot for games but they have a clown of a Prime Minister.

News Comments > The Witcher 3 GMG Key Dispute
28. Re: The Witcher 3 GMG Key Dispute May 7, 2015, 07:04 theyarecomingforyou

GMG is a major site and it is unacceptable for GOG to boycott it then act annoyed when GMG is forced to go an alternative route.

I hate the way publishers become dicks when they realise they have a big game on their hands and their own digital distribution service to push it on. GOG was initially quite respectable but I cannot support bullshit like this.

News Comments > DirectX 12 Video Crosses the Uncanny Valley
64. Re: DirectX 12 Video Crosses the Uncanny Valley May 2, 2015, 10:23 theyarecomingforyou

NKD wrote on May 2, 2015, 04:37:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on May 1, 2015, 20:12:

We've all seen so many tech demos over the years that pan out to be nothing

Like Star Citizen?
Don't give up your day job.

61. Re: DirectX 12 Video Crosses the Uncanny Valley May 2, 2015, 04:09 theyarecomingforyou

jdreyer wrote on May 1, 2015, 20:41:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on May 1, 2015, 20:12:
Uncanny valley? Not even close. It looks fake, not creepy fake. The skin is plasticky, the lighting too soft, the hair very flat, etc. To be honest it really doesn't wow me.

Star Citizen was putting out work-in-progress pictures like this two years ago using current hardware and the models have since been overhauled. I consider that much more compelling given that this is a real implementation, rather than a tech demo running on a setup that is unattainable for 99% of people.

We've all seen so many tech demos over the years that pan out to be nothing - for all intents and purposes it might as well be pre-rendered.

But those lips!
Don't say that in front of Ruby!

57. Re: DirectX 12 Video Crosses the Uncanny Valley May 1, 2015, 20:12 theyarecomingforyou

Uncanny valley? Not even close. It looks fake, not creepy fake. The skin is plasticky, the lighting too soft, the hair very flat, etc. To be honest it really doesn't wow me.

Star Citizen was putting out work-in-progress pictures like this two years ago using current hardware and the models have since been overhauled. I consider that much more compelling given that this is a real implementation, rather than a tech demo running on a setup that is unattainable for 99% of people.

We've all seen so many tech demos over the years that pan out to be nothing - for all intents and purposes it might as well be pre-rendered.

News Comments > More Star Wars Classics on GOG.com & Steam
1. Re: More Star Wars Classics on GOG.com & Steam Apr 28, 2015, 20:26 theyarecomingforyou

Awesome. Might have to pickup Tie Fighter now that it's been updated. Still, it's a little pricey for an obsolete game.  

6211 Comments. 311 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo