Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Grumpy Sod

Real Name Grumpy Sod   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 8, 2005, 15:09
Total Comments 112 (Novice)
User ID 22835

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

News Comments > DNF Date Announcement, Trailer, Demo Details
58. Re: DNF Date Announcement, Trailer, Demo Details Jan 21, 2011, 17:11 Grumpy Sod

The whole 'why do games still not have AA in' thing was covered a few months ago by someone who clearly knew what they were actually talking about.

The simple fact is that the engine writers (Epic I'm looking at you) chose a method of rendering which renders (ho ho) AA impossible under normal circumstances.

Somehow this has once again been totally forgotten and is being blamed on the game makers or the console makers. I guess there's a certain amount of blame you _could_ apportion on the game makers due to the fact they chose to license a lacking engine, but really it's a stupid pointless whine.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > LEGO Universe Founders Release
4. Re: LEGO Universe Founders Release Oct 9, 2010, 06:04 Grumpy Sod

Silicon Avatar wrote on Oct 9, 2010, 03:05:
So can you build whatever you want like Minecraft, or is it just a boring MMO with Lego slapped on it? This trailer tells me nothing.

Half and half. There's a lot of running around beating on randomly spawning mobs while on a quest, but then I doubt you could really avoid that in an MMO. There's lots of scope for free form lego building, but only in designated areas. So I guess the answer to your question is no, not like Minecraft at all.

That said, we've been in beta, and our kids are getting their pre-order copy any day now.

News Comments > Activison Considering Selling Cut-Scene Movies
47. Re: Activison Considering Selling Cut-Scene Movies Sep 17, 2010, 10:30 Grumpy Sod

kxmode wrote on Sep 17, 2010, 10:19:
What sort of madness is this man suffering from?

The kinds of madness that is perfectly sane when you have enough fanboys devoted to buying anything you shovel out in relation to your newly acquired/merged company.

As someone said, it does make sense, he's just coating it and shovelling it in with 100% Pure Bobby BS.

News Comments > Activison Considering Selling Cut-Scene Movies
37. Re: Activison Considering Selling Cut-Scene Movies Sep 17, 2010, 03:30 Grumpy Sod

Cutter wrote on Sep 17, 2010, 01:44:
Please do it, Bobby. Do it and cost Activision a few hundred million and get fired and out of this industry forever please!

Sadly it probably won't cost them shit. They have the CGI already and will just stitch it together and put it for digital download. Cheap ass job done to Bobby's spec for next to nothing. One monkey could do it in a tea break.

News Comments > Free Metro 2033 DLC
14. Re: Free Metro 2033 DLC Sep 9, 2010, 09:48 Grumpy Sod

Prez wrote on Sep 9, 2010, 03:43:
Jerykk wrote on Sep 9, 2010, 01:13:
THQ was selling the game for $10 a while back. Pretty good deal.

Ouch. How the hell did I miss that one? Must have been while I was on my yearly road trip to the wild Northeast.

Even worse/better... it was part of the THQ pack which was on sale for peanuts last sale. I got the whole pack for 25 which included this.

News Comments > World of Warcraft Dropping support for PPC Macs
1. Re: World of Warcraft Dropping support for PPC Macs Aug 30, 2010, 21:00 Grumpy Sod

Less 'dropping support' and more 'stopping it working'.  

News Comments > Dungeons Officially Announced
11. Re: Dungeons Officially Announced Aug 12, 2010, 15:09 Grumpy Sod

Steele Johnson wrote on Aug 12, 2010, 15:00:
I'd rather see a new Dungeon Keeper from Peter M. Those games were awesome!

Except Peter M. has fallen a long way since then. I'm not sure he could pull off awesome any more.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham City Announced
25. Re: Batman: Arkham City Announced Aug 6, 2010, 03:34 Grumpy Sod

While it might sound a bit dumb housing criminals in a district of Gotham, it's fairly obvious how they ended up there. Everyone on here (and presumably elsewhere) has said 'please set it in Gotham', and the only way to do that while still including a healthy supply of goons to beat up is to do something like this. I guess it would still have made more sense to just have them take over a few city districts, but then there wouldn't be a logically defined border to hold the player in.  

News Comments > More StarCraft II Sales Figures
54. Re: More StarCraft II Sales Figures Aug 3, 2010, 05:17 Grumpy Sod

Zyr wrote on Aug 2, 2010, 16:59:
Prez wrote on Aug 2, 2010, 13:59:
Bear in mind I've only owned the game for 2 full days, but afaik, yes, you can stay logged out of Bnet. I actually have 2 campaigns going. One, I connect to Bnet as a sort of a test of how the system works. I have a pretty stable connection and still I've lost connection to Bnet 4 times over a span of 8 hours or so. All that happens is a message comes up saying that you will no longer earn achievements and that the game will only save locally. For the other campaign I have never connected to Bnet again beyond the initial activation.

The biggest downside is that once offline, only the guest campaign can be continued. Any game started on Bnet can only be played on Bnet. Just play as a guest (you can have up to 3 campaigns going at once it looks like) all the time and you'll never have a problem.

You're half right. You can actually play your B.Net campaign offline, as you've already noticed when you lost connection mid-game (and to offer a counterpoint, I've put in nearly 20 hours on the campaign and haven't lost connection yet).

All you need to do is check "Remember Account" on the login, it'll save your account credentials. Block SC2 with your firewall/unplug the router/whatever to test it and load up SC2. It'll offer to take you to your offline profile, where all your saves are available.

I've been told by a Blizz employee friend that there is a 30 day timer on being offline. If you don't connect during that time then the campaign is removed. I had originally thought he meant ladder time outs like in D2, but apparently not.

News Comments > Valve Un-Bans Players, Offers Freebies
19. Re: Valve Un-Bans Players, Offers Freebies Jul 27, 2010, 06:50 Grumpy Sod

Muscular Beaver wrote on Jul 27, 2010, 06:17:
I vaguely remember the fanboys that always claimed that Valves anti cheat crap is "unfailable".

Prior to this there were only about seven false positives reported, so until now it was fair enough to call it infallible, fanboy or not.

News Comments > StarCraft II Beta Ends Tomorrow
33. Re: StarCraft II Beta Ends Tomorrow Jul 19, 2010, 09:12 Grumpy Sod

DangerDog wrote on Jul 18, 2010, 16:59:
I have absolutely no interest in going online against someone who has nothing better to do than to memorize hot-key sequences and perfect opening moves to every map in the game.

This. I got into early invite beta and didn't play more than a few games before remembering that this was how SC ended up and why I wouldn't be playing SC2 MP.

News Comments > Bond Game Revealed?
6. Re: Bond Game Revealed? Jul 16, 2010, 10:13 Grumpy Sod

StingingVelvet wrote on Jul 16, 2010, 09:40:
Grumpy Sod wrote on Jul 16, 2010, 07:59:
Anonymous wrote on Jul 15, 2010, 22:01:
...and that cool action-sequence one

Everything or Nothing?

It could of just been the console shooting mechanics of that time, but I thought that game sucked.

Nightfire was okay... certainly not great or anything.

I didn't think much of Nightfire, what I played just felt like a weak fps. Everything or Nothing threw enough variation and did it in a very confident and cinematic way I thought. First time the bond girl got dumped out of a helicopter and Bond just dove after her and straight into a free fall level I thought it was great.

News Comments > Bond Game Revealed?
3. Re: Bond Game Revealed? Jul 16, 2010, 07:59 Grumpy Sod

Anonymous wrote on Jul 15, 2010, 22:01:
...and that cool action-sequence one

Everything or Nothing?

News Comments > NASA Moonbase Alpha Released
6. Re: NASA Moonbase Alpha Released Jul 6, 2010, 17:56 Grumpy Sod

But will there be Space: 1999 easter eggs in it?  

News Comments > Torchlight MMORPG & Microtransactions
15. Re: Torchlight MMORPG & Microtransactions Jun 30, 2010, 05:35 Grumpy Sod

Prez wrote on Jun 30, 2010, 03:42:
This game so naturally lends itself to Titan Quest-style MP that it makes no sense to skip over that and go for a MMO with microtransactions, especially when the company's own CEO hates microtransactions. This is beyond dubious.

The taint of Flagship is subtle in it's manifestation...

News Comments > Metro 2034 Revealed
21. Re: Metro 2034 Revealed Jun 29, 2010, 16:55 Grumpy Sod

It's included in the big THQ pack, which is already on sale. I picked it up on day one. That many games for that little was a no brainer, even with me owning five of them already. The entire pack costs little more than the DoW2/Chaos Rising pack did on sale day, which made me wonder why the DoW2 pack got reduced at all.  

News Comments > No Respawn at E3
4. Re: No Respawn at E3 Jun 9, 2010, 11:58 Grumpy Sod

the_culture wrote on Jun 9, 2010, 10:41:
who received word on this from Activision

Why would Activision have any say on the matter? Or did you mean EA?

Would be funny as hell if it actually was Activision saying this though. Most amusing veiled threat ever

News Comments > PC Gamer Top 100
11. Re: PC Gamer Top 100 May 14, 2010, 13:05 Grumpy Sod

All that lists like this ever prove is that people have really shitty long term memory. Nearly everyone seems to go 'Hmm, what have I enjoyed recently' and vote for that. Or even worse 'What is fun right now' like the only reason they're not still playing Imogen on the BBC Micro is that it's rubbish and not that it's old yet awesome. Oh, or that they're too young to have a clue what I just said.  

News Comments > Rebellion Woes?
17. Re: Rebellion Woes? May 11, 2010, 04:50 Grumpy Sod

Optimaximal wrote on May 11, 2010, 03:22:
The 'true' Rebellion is based in Oxford and continues to makes a mint off of 2000AD and other UK-centric publishing whilst still continuing to dip their toes into game development.

This. They bought 2000AD a few years before their Dredd game, hence the Rogue Trooper game as well. There is no chance that the 2000AD sales market is failing in the UK, so they've no problems keeping their main offices afloat.

As for them being Douchebags, I've met them both and they seemed to care about gaming, etc, but that was back in about 2001, so a lot can change I guess.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 3, 2010, 14:50 Grumpy Sod

Can't help but feel the Win 7 vs Ubuntu article is a page hit fishing exercise. 'Controversial' headlines with no content on non-mainstream sites reek of it.  

112 Comments. 6 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo