Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Grumpy Sod

Real Name Grumpy Sod   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 8, 2005, 15:09
Total Comments 111 (Novice)
User ID 22835

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

News Comments > MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks
37. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 19, 2013, 18:18 Grumpy Sod

Nobody else mentioning the fact they've backtracked on the only thing some (myself included) saw as a new plus?

These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One. The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc. Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold.

This also now means that all those people saying 'Shut up Steam fanboys, stop ignoring that XBOne is doing this too' regarding sharing are now, in fact, incorrect.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Jun 18, 2013, 11:24 Grumpy Sod

Since I'm English, and you threw the word around lots, I'm now confused

Afaik, we here in England (who are native English), got the original Aussie version, and even as a child I could follow it fine.

If it in fact turns out I saw the US dub, then I'm extra surprised.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Jun 18, 2013, 10:16 Grumpy Sod

I never knew it got dubbed in the US. That's insane, especially given it wasn't exactly a mainstream film, so why fuck with it when it's going to remain a niche film regardless?

Anyone know if they dubbed any later ones in the series?

News Comments > It Came from E3 2013, Part Five
9. Re: It Came from E3 2013, Part Five Jun 17, 2013, 04:14 Grumpy Sod

Tom wrote on Jun 16, 2013, 15:51:
The next gen will laugh at 1080p, and with 16 times as much RAM there's serious opportunity for better content. For some games the current gen is good enough, but definitely not all. I'll buy a PS4 in a heartbeat once they release a Ryuu ga Gotoku (Yakuza) game that takes advantage of the system.

From what I've seen recently of alleged xbox engineer leaks, due to the weaker memory, the XBOne is actually currently only running at 900p max to get a decent frame rate. As far as I know, that's only the current state of the tech, but it's more than a little amusing if true.

7. Re: It Came from E3 2013, Part Five Jun 16, 2013, 14:32 Grumpy Sod

Tom wrote on Jun 16, 2013, 10:44:
Duh, you wanna make $$$, you release to the largest installed bases. Why should they sacrifice their profits to do a "hard push to move everyone to next gen"? Makes no business sense, unless there's some special circumstance like MS paying them boatloads to do it.

I'm well aware of that, I'm just amused at this being how they're having to do exactly that this gen. You pretty much reinforced my point, which was that nobody seems ready or willing to say that 'next gen' is somewhere they can reliably expect gamers to go.

My memory of eight years ago is rather hazy, but I'm pretty sure there was more 'wtf? why not on my current console you bastards!' sentiment, as developers pulled the whole 'we need power to do our tired rehashes, and we can't do that on the same gen we always have done' thing.

This time round, well shit, look, games run just fine on either.

News Comments > Saturday Interviews
1. Re: Saturday Interviews Jun 16, 2013, 09:37 Grumpy Sod

Okay, interest is again piqued for the 40K MMO...  

5. Re: It Came from E3 2013, Part Five Jun 16, 2013, 08:08 Grumpy Sod

PC, PS4, Xbox One, PS3, and Xbox 360

I see the hard push to move everyone to next gen is in full force over at EA.

This list alone is pretty telling of how little confidence in, well, anything, they have right now.

• Bets hedged *check*

• Fences sat on *check*
  •  

News Comments > LUFTRAUSERS Code Stolen
    6. Re: LUFTRAUSERS Code Stolen Jun 14, 2013, 11:23 Grumpy Sod

Perhaps he was dealing with an Eidos rep, and fell victim to their Producer/Thief  

News Comments > New Warhammer 40K MMORPG Announced
    13. Re: New Warhammer 40K MMORPG Announced Jun 12, 2013, 16:32 Grumpy Sod

I had assumed, almost hoped in fact, that this would be Planetside 40K, until I got to
    Hack through genuinely challenging procedural content alongside your battle-brothers and never have the same experience twice;
    and then sighed and gave up caring.

PvE co-op 40K MMO can fuck off.

News Comments > Wolfenstein The New Order E3 Trailer
    21. Re: Wolfenstein The New Order E3 Trailer Jun 6, 2013, 19:18 Grumpy Sod

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jun 6, 2013, 18:28:
    Still, I'd like to play a game as a historical "bad guy", regardless of nationality, in an alternate timeline. Get someone like Harry Turtledove to write the script for it. It'd be interesting to see the world through the viewpoint of a victor other than we.

I'd love to see someone take something like Fatherland and do a decent game out of it. I dare say it would almost *have* to be more of an adventure game to really get any nuanced feel to it, but with so much good from the indie scene, I've no doubt someone could pull it off magnificently.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
    1. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 30, 2013, 09:15 Grumpy Sod

MS also announced they intend to hit 1 billion in the... oh you know the rest.  

News Comments > EA Layoffs
    2. Re: EA Layoffs Feb 21, 2013, 20:43 Grumpy Sod

Careful there Frank, I think that's more spin than the Earth can take.  

News Comments > PC Brütal Legend Nears
    8. Re: PC Brütal Legend Nears Feb 13, 2013, 17:12 Grumpy Sod

PropheT wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 17:06:
    There's a soundtrack edition of the game, although it doesn't really say what the soundtrack comes with...

They originally released the Tim Schafer written tracks as the soundtrack album, I'd imagine it's that.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
    7. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 29, 2013, 16:46 Grumpy Sod

Creston wrote on Jan 29, 2013, 13:09:
    NegaDeath wrote on Jan 29, 2013, 11:47:
    Or they could implant chips in our brains that charge our credit cards every time we hear a song.

I think I just heard the RIAA collectively jizzing all over itself.

Creston

They'd presumably charge you for hearing that too

News Comments > Mists of Pandaria Sales Disappointing?
    51. Re: Mists of Pandaria Sales Disappointing? Sep 28, 2012, 09:07 Grumpy Sod

Spektr wrote on Sep 28, 2012, 08:37:
    I came out of it and I found myself in a nightmare world where Call of Duty is the FPS reference.

Heh, this.

The world of gaming was so strange and wrong when I shook WoW off my boot a few years back. Also, the shock that some games I barely registered coming out had been fucking amazing was a biggie too.

News Comments > Minecraft Patent Lawsuit
    22. Re: Minecraft Patent Lawsuit Jul 22, 2012, 19:31 Grumpy Sod

by or through making, using, offering for sale, selling and/or importing Android based applications for use on cellular phones and/or tablet devices that require communication with a server to perform a license check to prevent the unauthorized use of said application

This covers any Android app that uses the LVL code provided by Google, I'd love to see them get involved on that basis.

These guys are basically saying nobody can check if someone bought their software if it is on portable hardware without paying for the privilege.

Mindblowingly, off the chart attempt to abuse a patent that, if you read it, doesn't even cover this. It was for smart card readers.

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 MP DLC Revealed?
    10. Re: Mass Effect 3 MP DLC Revealed? May 16, 2012, 17:45 Grumpy Sod

and six new classes: Quarian Engineer and Infiltrator..

Yes, those are new... oO

P.S. Yes, I know I'm meant to bitch about EA, sorry

News Comments > Stephen Merchant Not Eager to Reprise Portal 2 Experience
    31. Re: Stephen Merchant Not Eager to Reprise Portal 2 Experience Aug 31, 2011, 08:16 Grumpy Sod

To repeat again, since everyone seems to be following a herd and not reading the words for themselves, he said 'tiring' and 'daunting'. Now while daunting is pretty relative, and I suspect he'd crap himself at the sight of code and being told to write more, he isn't saying it was a difficult job. He's saying it was tiring and he wouldn't want to do it again.

Not to mention, as someone else pointed out, this is like when people go "fuck yeah! game testing!" and then find it's tedious repetition on a micro level. It's not even like his acting would have prepared him for doing retakes on a line by line basis. I for one, while mentally taxed by my programming work, wouldn't ever consider a voice acting job as easier, because it's not what I'm good at. Especially if I then found out I was knackered at the end of every day and hadn't actually had any kind of fun from it.

Acting is his profession, and the voice work isn't something he enjoyed. He never once said "This is the hardest job on the planet", he just said he didn't fancy it again because it was tiring.

For a high density of programmers and developers, people here sure suck at actually checking over content.

News Comments > Stephen Merchant Not Eager to Reprise Portal 2 Experience
    27. This isn't a new ploy Aug 31, 2011, 04:10 Grumpy Sod

He said the same thing months ago for another interview, it's not a recent thing, so I doubt it's a ploy for money.

Didn't bother reading this one, but the previous interview said he was very physical about doing the voice. Rather than just sitting and trying to get 'panicked while jumping off a rail' tone right, he would throw himself around, much like method acting but for voicing.

So yeah, it probably was far more physically and mentally tiring than a lot of our desk jobs. Harder? Probably not, but he never said that.

News Comments > DNF Date Announcement, Trailer, Demo Details
    58. Re: DNF Date Announcement, Trailer, Demo Details Jan 21, 2011, 17:11 Grumpy Sod

The whole 'why do games still not have AA in' thing was covered a few months ago by someone who clearly knew what they were actually talking about.

The simple fact is that the engine writers (Epic I'm looking at you) chose a method of rendering which renders (ho ho) AA impossible under normal circumstances.

Somehow this has once again been totally forgotten and is being blamed on the game makers or the console makers. I guess there's a certain amount of blame you _could_ apportion on the game makers due to the fact they chose to license a lacking engine, but really it's a stupid pointless whine.

111 Comments. 6 pages. Viewing page 2.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo