Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for everyone

Real Name everyone   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 7, 2005, 14:02
Total Comments 617 (Apprentice)
User ID 22821

User comment history
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto IV Patch
26. Re: Grand Theft Auto IV Patch Mar 22, 2009, 21:44 everyone

I don't understand people who keep saying this game has a low framerate. "OMG IT IS COMPLETELY UNPLAYABLE!!" What the fuck? Seriously? Are you trying to run this game on a P2 with a PCI (not PCIe), or AGP videocard? Really? Get with the times. I even see people complaining about it when they have a decent system. I guess I'm just lucky to have awesome performance on this game with my core i7 and 4870x2.

The game runs smooth as glass for me, and I run it with the limitations removed so I can turn the settings up to max. It does seem as though the game has a memory leak somewhere though, because from time to time, I notice a drop in framerate (but still QUITE playable), and if I alt-tab back to Windows, and then back to the game, it's fixed. Sometimes there's that shadow bug too, which is fixed in the same way. Usually it pops up again a little while later, but it's not a huge inconvenience. It would be nice if the game were better optimized and whatever, but it's always ran great for me at 1920x1200, maxed settings.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Multicore Rendering
10. Re: Team Fortress 2 Multicore Rendering Mar 19, 2009, 18:28 everyone

I hadn't NOTICED a difference between multicore and not, because it's really smooth for me either way (i7 920 @ 3.81ghz, Diamond 4870x2 OC), but I also never had the on-screen fps enabled.

Holy shit. Today, I tested it out; with multicore and without. I used the multicore stress test demo found here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=825807

Holy shit guys. It DOUBLES my framerate. Without multicore rendering, that demo dips down to 35ish at the lowest, and around 85ish at the top. With multicore enabled, it never gets below 50, and I was seeing peaks as high as 250. Wow.

I didn't notice a framerate increase because it was pretty smooth the entire time on normal servers, but enabling the fps display (cl_showfps 2) really lets you see the difference it makes. For me, it DOUBLED the framerate on average. Very nice.

Still, something about this update causes the game to crash seemingly randomly. It NEVER used to crash before, but it doesn't seem to make a difference whether or not multicore rendering is enabled--it still crashed either way.

edit - 1920x1200, max settings.

This comment was edited on Mar 19, 2009, 18:35.

News Comments > New ATI Drivers
19. Re: New ATI Drivers Mar 19, 2009, 02:09 everyone

@Jerykk: You have it manually set at too LOW a speed. Your video card is OVERHEATING, and the overheat protection is kicking in, zapping the fan up to 100%. Let the video card control it. Leave the fan speeds alone.

This comment was edited on Mar 19, 2009, 02:09.

News Comments > New ATI Drivers
10. Re: New ATI Drivers Mar 18, 2009, 16:49 everyone

Don't get me wrong. I motherfucking LOVE my factory overclocked 4870x2, but the last few driver versions have introduced that motherfucking annoying as hell 2d bug, where the slave GPU boots up at 3d clocks, causing your system to idle at high temp until you enter a 3d application and then quit back to 2d mode to click it back into 2d mode for both GPUs. It's pretty damn annoying. 8.12s didn't have this problem. >:\ It's all over the guru3d forums if you don't know what I'm talking about.

edit - oh yeah, in case I wasn't clear, the 9.3s don't fix this bug.

This comment was edited on Mar 18, 2009, 16:51.

News Comments > Valve on Improving the TF2 Experience
15. Re: Valve on Improving the TF2 Experience Mar 13, 2009, 18:13 everyone

Now all they have to do is put in an option which bans all the Scout upgrades, and makes it enabled by default!  

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Patched
3. Re: Team Fortress 2 Patched Mar 6, 2009, 01:19 everyone

OOH! I wanna do that!  

News Comments > TF2 Cheats Disciplined
20. Re: TF2 Cheats Disciplined Feb 27, 2009, 14:15 everyone

Except for the fact that the scout is way overpowered now. He can slip past sentries unharmed, and essentially stop an uber team dead in its tracks. Scout is the ONLY class that can do ANYTHING to an uber team (if you don't count the Pyro's minor ability to blast them back).

Assuming every new weapon has a balanced downside is to assume that Valve is infallible. The Scout was already really powerful in the right hands, and now anyone who unlocks the new weapons just has more tools with which to dominate.

This was expressed already, but I think giving players a means to unlock new weapons gives them a leg up on those who haven't yet unlocked them. People are always going to just go to an achievement server and go around the ridiculous achievements that way anyway, and the dedicated players who do this will have all the new stuff in a couple of hours. Those who don't play so much just have to suffer. Maybe if it were something where everybody gets the weapons off the bat (no pun intended), and maybe had the option of unlocking reflective gold or platinum skins or something, that could be cool. It would show others that someone unlocked those achievements without actually disrupting the balance of the game.

BTW, I don't know if Valve just lied, or if their method of detecting who used Achievement Manager to unlock their stuff just doesn't work, but I unlocked all the stuff the other day with it, and I still have it. I got fucking frustrated that I had to go to crazy weird lengths to gain these achievements when I just want to play the game like everybody else. It's ridiculous. I did unlock a good number of the Scout's achievements in-game, but the rest I just got fed up and tried the unlocker. I still have my achievements, and my unlocked weapons. I even finished getting all the achievements for the Heavy since I hadn't bothered to sit around doing that and only had 8 by accident, so now I have the gloves and stuff.

In short, these achievement things are interesting but really stupid. Why every game has to have them these days is beyond me. I guess it's to artificially inflate the replayability of the games for those who are OCD like myself.

News Comments > On Op Flashpoint Sequels
13. Re: Codemasters on Op Flashpoint Sequels Feb 26, 2009, 10:25 everyone

i'm suprised that anyone's suprised by this. as mentioned above for farcry, ubisoft are currently doing this a lot. taking an established name that they have the rights to and using that name on a new product that only has loose ties to the original (see: rainbow six, ghost recon, new prince of persia). it's nothing to do with the quality of the game being sold, but that it'll sell more with a big name on the box  

News Comments > TF2 Scout Update
39. Re: TF2 Scout Update Feb 26, 2009, 05:47 everyone

They totally broke the delicate balance that was in place with this update. SUCH a disappointment. Too bad they can't just ctrl+z the whole affair and go back to the way it was, which was fine. Instead, they bungle a class update with MAJOR balance issues, as well as causing new bugs. The most notable for me being the broken axetinguisher, which I had gotten used to taking out heavies with. Now it's just a regular axe, and maybe even a little weaker.

Now just watch servers start limiting the number of scouts to 0 just to fix the balance again. Valve, what the fuck?!

This comment was edited on Feb 26, 2009, 05:48.

News Comments > TF2 Scout Update
10. Re: TF2 Scout Update Feb 25, 2009, 04:36 everyone

TF2 NEVER crashes on me... I bet you're using Vista.  

News Comments > MS: Windows 7 to be "Great for Games"
51. Re: Windows 7 Feb 23, 2009, 15:48 everyone

anyways, im down for Win7 - so lets all move on and forget about vista

Don't forget that Win7, for all intents and purposes, IS Vista. It's basically just a service pack dressed up as a new product. Sure, Vista failed on almost every front, but with all the time and money they've invested into its development, do you honestly believe they could afford to throw away that old Vista engine and start over? No, they simply rebranded it to give it a new, hopefully better public impression.

Fixing the image that Vista ruined is key to them making money on it, and starting over again building a new OS would be financial suicide, so they're hoping they can modify Vista and streamline it enough that people actually fucking buy it. According to articles I've been reading written by gaming sites that have previewed Win7, they are still failing on the gaming front, and that's one of the main reasons XP has so much higher market share than Vista right now.

News Comments > MS: Windows 7 to be "Great for Games"
36. Re: MS: Windows 7 to be Feb 23, 2009, 14:44 everyone

As for Win7, I believe it when I see it. I think the more likely scenario is it'll suck for everything for the first 3-4 months until developers have a chance to put out drivers and patches.

Developers have been putting out drivers and patches for 7 for the past 8 months or so. Granted, they've been for beta versions of win7, but that OS is still based upon, and is largely comprised of, Vista, which was a bad decision to begin with.

News Comments > Work at Gearbox
11. Re: Work at Gearbox Feb 17, 2009, 01:39 everyone

I'd love to know what their "Industry leading royalty/profit sharing program" amounts to.

A yearly salary somewhere around 20-30% below industry standard.

News Comments > New Blizzard MMO Gearing Up?
15. Re: New Blizzard MMO Gearing Up? Feb 13, 2009, 03:47 everyone

I'm sure WoW2 is in development, but I don't see any reason for Blizzard to announce it, let alone release it, until the original WoW starts losing subscribers. My guess would be that they are working on a console version of WoW, that is the big untapped MMORPG market.

This comment was edited on Feb 13, 2009, 03:48.

News Comments > No PC PoP DLC
37. Re: No PC PoP DLC Feb 3, 2009, 21:45 everyone

It's really Ubisoft's fault that PoP was a disaster of a production. "Business reasons" simply means they made a bad game, at least for the PC market. This is a console game. It's far too dumbed down for PC gamers, and the ratings and reviews show it.

I'm not really disappointed, since what this game needs isn't DLC. What it needs is a content overhaul, and some fairly major gameplay refinements. The only real thing they've got going for them is that somewhat interesting graphic treatment they created. Once you tire of the simplistic gameplay (which doesn't take long), however, any "ooh's" or "ahh's" induced from the cartoony graphics quickly fade as well. Shame, really. They should have stuck to the series' roots. They should have just tried to make the game really good, instead of pandering to the less sophisticated console and "casual" gamers out there. The way they handled it, they alienated at least 80% of the PC market.

DLC or no DLC, the game is still really flawed.

This comment was edited on Feb 3, 2009, 21:46.

News Comments > Iron Man 2 Announced
3. Re: Iron Man 2 Announced Feb 3, 2009, 14:52 everyone

Pfft. Movie tie-ins are ***NEVER*** any good. Why don't movie producers ever realize this? Better still, why don't normal consumers realize it? It's a ridiculous profit ploy and anyone falling for it is a gullible idiot. Any game development house taking one on probably has never put anything worthwhile out anyway. If they were given more time to devote to these games, there might be a better chance of a decent release, but that's never the case.

Do yourselves a favor and simply ignore these stupid PR announcements and their subsequent video game releases. You'll be sending a message that hopefully helps to improve the industry.

News Comments > TF2 & Steam Updates
3. Re: TF2 & Steam Updates Feb 2, 2009, 22:07 everyone

Supposedly, Scout's due next.

I think they made a mistake in making the spy have to decloak first before picking up the intel with this update.

News Comments > Unofficial Arcanum Patch
14. Re: Unofficial Arcanum Patch Dec 31, 2008, 17:19 everyone

it adds a lot of content (including animations) that were included with the game but not actually implemented in it (presumably due to time constraints) and fixes a lot of bugs

Aaaah, now don't say this. The people that are bashing Bethesda in the FO3 Postmortem thread don't want to hear about this. NO NO NO - if Bethesda does this, then they're liars, fools, retards. if these bugs still infest their (i.e. the FO3 haters) "classic" games like "Arcanum" even 7 years after the game saw the light of the day, this is something completely different. Content included in the game but not actually implemented - this cannot be true. This is SO Bethesda. No no no no... NO. Instead, make jokes about how badly an "Arcanum 2" by Bethesda could turn out. There'd be bugs everywhere in the game, and "a lot of content that were included with tthe game would not acutally be implemented". Bethesda would rely on fans doing homebrew patches. Oh, wait, no - it's actually NOT Bethesda, it's those people who e.g. worked on Fallout 1 and/or 2. Then again, as said before, this cannot be true. Therefore it's not true. It's all Bethesda's fault.

Ridiculous. Sometimes it's really so ridiculous what's going on in the bluesnews "standard" posting crowd. This shit started around 2003/4 - don't know what happended to the people. It's like only the cream of the fanboy crop is allowed to regularly post on Bluesnews. Everybody else has to be mistrusted, called "troll" or whatever.

Paranoia, here we come. Some users minds got flagshipped, their fading, and overly enthusiastic "memories" of the past can never keep up with reality.

I'll try to stay away from the "Viewing Comments"-option in the future. Thanks to Blue for keeping his news more objective than most users would like him to. Happy new year to you all. And thanks for the fish, don't forget your towel and the babelfish goes into your ear, NOT into your rear.

This comment was edited on Dec 31, 2008, 17:22.

News Comments > Fallout 3 Postmortem
20. Re: Fallout 3 GOTY! Dec 30, 2008, 16:04 everyone

Creston: +1

I don't understand all the hatred. "Fallout 3" was - now call me fanboy, newbie (started back in Jurassic times playing Pong, Atari VCS 2600, etc.) - the best PC game I have ever played. I really love this game. The open world, many places to explore, the quests - it's just fantastic. E. G. "Half-Life 2" (a shooter "on rails") pales in comparison. I don't remember having so much fun in a single-player campaign ever before.

And yes, I played and finished "Fallout" and "Fallout 2" ages ago. Both are great games, and "Fallout 3" is just more of the same (read more about this in Creston's posting), but in 3D in a very detailed and quite rich (well, as far as a postapocalyptic world can be called "rich") world. And I love it. I really, really hope there'll be "Fallout 4" done by the same team. Plus: Very, VERY few bugs. And this is a miracle, since "Fallout 3" is such a HUGE project. The freedom of choice (e. g. which quest to accept, which way to go) should make FO3 much more difficult to be made than e. g. your standard shooter "on rails" (like Crysis, H-L2, etc.). Great job!

And now - let the flame war begin!

This comment was edited on Dec 30, 2008, 16:08.

News Comments > Spore De-Authorization Tool
6. Re: Spore De-Authorization Tool Dec 18, 2008, 11:45 everyone

1. Thank you, oh you makers of "Spore", for releasing this free additional "game" content.
2. With this free add-on, the DRM "game" is even more fun than "Spore" itself.
3. What about just scrapping the whole DRM bs instead of releasing tools to manage DRM?
4. PC gaming is going to hell. And it's YOUR mistake, not that of gamers with too high expectations or pirates or aliens abducting talented game developers. It's YOU, and *only* YOU!

617 Comments. 31 pages. Viewing page 24.
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo