Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Spec

Real Name Spec   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Spectre-7
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 1, 2005, 07:14
Total Comments 6 (Suspect)
User ID 22789

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
3. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 8, 2012, 20:56 Spectre-7

Regarding the [sic], there are some excellent recent articles on the supposed plural nature of the word data.

The Data Is In, pt. 1

The Data Is In, pt. 2

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > CPL Game Announced
15. Re: Based on ID's doom(ed) 3 engine? Dec 18, 2006, 01:44 Spectre-7

Dentrassi - I'd like to make a couple clarifications -- Technically speaking, the games you listed are still built on the Doom3 engine. Megatexture is an addition to the D3/Q4 codebase. Also, saying that ETQW's tech is developed primarily by Splash Damage isn't entirely correct. They're doing the game development, but AFAIK the bulk of core engine development is still Carmack and crew.

I'd agree that Doom 3 and Quake 4 were mediocre, but I don't think the problem was the engine. On technical basis alone, I still think they're beautiful and impressive games. I just wish the gameplay had been... ummm, at all innovative or creative. C'est la vie.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Nvidia Drivers Nov 8, 2006, 16:42 Spectre-7

Actually, Nvidia's linux/unix drivers aren't open source. Their drivers are something of a hot topic, since the driver module itself is a closed source, binary blob that's inserted into the kernel. There's a legal grey area there, and some open source advocates/zealots refuse to use the drivers because of it.

Thanks for the news, though!

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Total Overdose
2. Cool but... Sep 29, 2005, 15:16 Spectre-7

Why do the developers think a bad-ass mexican should look like Elija Wood? The resemblance is kind of eery.

News Comments > Trip Hawkins to AIAS Hall of Fame
7. Re: The Trip Hawkins E-mail Feb 1, 2005, 22:41 Spectre-7

Classic Trip, sadly.

Portal Runner was going into production around the time I left the company, and a friend of mine was one of the level designers. I seem to recall that they hired some model for the advertising (Anna Nicole Smith perhaps?), and that's also typical 3DO... Spend the money and effort on marketing rather than development. After all, if marketed correctly, you can sell snow to the eskimos, right?

Anyway, it just points to the fact that Trip has absolutely no clue what makes a good game. He used to like personally interviewing new hires so he could feed them the company policy, etc. One of his favorites was to ask "Which is better; A team with a designer who's visionary and really passionate about the game design, or a group of team-players who are all willing to follow someone else's lead?" (heavily paraphrased)

The question existed so that he could tell you that the team players are better, because the passionate designer will be a prima donna and the game will never get made. Can I get a big hooray for sheep? Didn't think so.

At a company meeting, Trip also liked to tell a story about when he worked for Apple. He was sitting at his desk when Steve Jobs walked in and asked, "Trip, have you ever done acid?"

Trip replied, "Ummm, no."

Steve looked at him, said "I didn't think so," and left.

Not sure why I included that one... Still makes me chuckle though. How much does anyone want to bet that Steve Jobs has tried acid?

Just a thought.

News Comments > Trip Hawkins to AIAS Hall of Fame
1. I believe the AIAS is sadly mistaken... Feb 1, 2005, 02:44 Spectre-7

I think Trip Hawkins is a rather unfortunate choice, and his induction has just removed any interest I might have had in their "hall of fame". Having worked for both Electronic Arts and 3DO, and having dealt (infrequently) with Trip Hawkins personally, I strongly feel he's a man with poor judgement and extremely limited vision.

Trip Hawkins is sadly a glorified bean counter, occasionally struck with moments of complete idiocy. To be fair, many of his business decisions throughout the past 2 decades have been interesting, but almost all have met with undeniable failure.

His humble beginnings in Apple Computer were as a financial officer, and giving him credit for that company's successes is border-line insulting to the work of Steve Wozniak, Steve Jobs and the entire rest of the Apple engineering team.

Of his work at EA, I can't say anything really bad... Except that I suspect his departure was pressured by stock-holders. This is my own conjecture, however.

As for 3DO... Sheesh. 3DO. A company founded on a couple dreams, a different licensing scheme, and generally poor planning. Their system was developed in the hay-day of Full Motion Video, promising to be the ultimate FMV console system. More of a hardware specification than an actual system, the manufacture of the 3DO systems was contracted out to outside companies (thus Goldstar and Pioneer[?] branded 3DO players), and reached the marketplace overpriced and short on software. The 3DO system was a punchline around the 3DO offices in the years to follow.

As the company reached rock bottom with little hope of any financial success, it managed to broker a deal to sell its new 64-bit processor (the M2) to Matsushita for a cool 100-million dollars, most of which surely went to paying off debts. This was when 3DO transformed into a (crappy) PC game developer and publisher.

Meridian 59 was truly revolutionary for what it was... But again, giving credit to Hawkins for its development is gravely inaccurate. I was an alpha tester for Meridian59 before 3DO PURCHASED it, and it was already well on its way to becoming the game it blossomed into. Sadly, 3DO added nothing but poor support and stagnant development to this ahead-of-its-time title.

As a pc software developer, 3DO was the king of mediocrity. I've never before or since worked for a company that had so little interest in the quality of their own products. Instead, Trip consistently touted the increasing number of (bad) games we produced each year. Amid this slow downhill tumble of product quality, Trip put extra effort into ensuring the continuing failure of his company by abolishing the Quality Control division (called QASR or quasar internally).

Of course, the lynch-pin is surely Trip's small eccentric streak, which led directly to the final destruction of 3DO as a corporation. Originally, Trip had intended for his building to have a live water-stream running through the center of the building... God only knows why. This original idea proved unfeasible, and 3DO instead made-due with a blue lenoleum "stream" that ran from one end of their main building to the next. Years later, amid poor profits and continually dropping stock values, Trip Hawkins commisioned the construction of two brand-spanking new buildings, perhaps out of jealousy of EA's new buildings.

The buildings were finished, as was 3DO within the year.

Yeah, your games suck. You're running out of cash. Let's make new buildings! That'll help.

How about, ohhh, I dunno... COMMITING YOUR FREAKING COMPANY TO MAKING JUST ONE GOOD GAME!

But he wasn't interested.

3DO closed shop, and Trip moved on to producing mobile games. Perhaps if he ever played a 3DO game, he would have realized they were buggy, poorly designed, unpolished crap.

Thanks for revolutionizing the industry, Trip. I'll see you in hell.

Thanks for reading a very long rant.

6 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo